Timed Misery (1800's Supernatural Mystery Adventure-Sign Up/Closed)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Misery Timed-Set around the 1800's (say 1820's at most), the city and nearby lands are being engulfed by darkness and snow. An unnatural winter has come, and with it murder, pain, and desperate people. You play merely a piece in the epicenter of it in a city on the coast. As whispers of something coming on the solstice run like rivers below, other strange things are happening.
Perhaps you are gifted with small skills unmatched, or unique powers that are dangerous and filled with wrath. Maybe you simply didn't ask for this as you are thrust in to the events because of who you are, or where you are. How you play and go in your own way is up to you, either way you have 31 days.

Your arrival by train around the mountain range will take the better part of the day, how you board or why you board is up to you. If you are a skilled workman of some sort then most likely job hunting. If you are perhaps homeless or otherwise, then sneaking aboard by some means works just as well.

Much of the below are just a few key points with more in depth later on. I'd suggest doing some light research in to history to learn more and get a better feel of who you'll be. As liberties are taken some technology and such are taken from later periods and may feature in time when they were not quite as evident.

Setting/Background-City/History/Society-The tale of city and such will be taking place in a Quasi-America at the time. A few things are needed to be addressed and explained here. You can technically be any race you wish ranging from White, all the way to Indian and Asian. Just note you will be treated as a minority or equal depending in different fashions, and language barriers will apply.
Women in this case lets say there are currently a few and loose bits of equal rights shifting around, if you are female and seen with a skirt to your knees, you are considered a whore and a harlot by many. Showing a little ankle on the other hand might just mean you are trying to stand out and establish rights, wearing pants well... urchins and homeless only would do that, even then, further unsavory or outlandish types would do that.

The city is sprawling please note and has many areas, but is primarily a harbor town of cobbled streets and brick buildings with panes of glass, though the farther you approach the inland the closer you'll come to slums, factories, mines, and lumber yards. Eventually you'll reach the main train tunnel being dug from the mountain side. A rather cheap mad will be made.

Much of the history and affairs of current other powers during the time remain the same, and just run by me anything you think needs consideration or advice upon when making your sheet.

Clothing and Fashion- As this is around the 1800's you can imagine the fashion to be about the Victorian age roughly, so common wear would be simple overalls and leather shoes among other arrangements, women during this period are in plain and simple dresses. The fancier are suits and dresses of decoration and complexity. Coats quite popular, and hats can tell a thousand tales...

Weapons/Power/Technnology-Industrial revolution is our basis for the current workings and plans set in motion, so steam and refining, in combination with factories and such.

Weaponry for now we will be stuck with flintlock and muzzle loading, such examples are the musket and other arms. While some may oppose this, it adds a sense of making them count, and how reloading will be. Paper cartridges are in effect along with the fact you can have multi-barreled arms (unreliable at times as they are), any other weapons predating the 1800's can be used, but not all are recommended for the sake of interactions. Carrying a big arse sickle is just screaming crazy murder, you dig?

Powers...This is tough really and I'll set some kind of roof once you submitted your sheets and ideas. Things to keep in mind roughly is this, skill and usage over strength and weight.

(For copy and pasting)
Name:
Background:
Age & Gender:
Height & Weight:
Appearance:
History:
Reason to be here/things to do:
Personality:
Power:
Notable skills:
Equipment

EDIT: Suggestions have been added.

Shadowstar38:

Rather sparse and generally vague in the history is fine, though mentioning the reasoning behind him carrying weapons would be nice. Slavery is technically still in affect in the southern regions and such not to mention child labor isn't that big of deal at the time even with or without work conditions being horrid. Unionized laborers has yet to occur as well, and the abuse of the aristocracy knew no bounds (kindness as well).
To fit the setting I'd suggest changing it to some form of crime or possible disgrace. I.E Caught smuggling, rapist, murder, and other such things if caught in the act tend to be hard to evade or cover up.

Asides from that relatively fine, and I'll assume the amount of money you have is rather low at the moment. I suggest adding that.

Good to see you back in RP, Ray.

drmigit2:

You might want to brush up on history and general background my good man, according to his age and general background you'd be better suite for the 1900's setting really. While not trying to shove you off, this is more of the early 1800's. While I'll be taking a couple of things later on during the period, most things remain the same.

RaNDM G:
Good to see you back in RP, Ray.

Just been working on things friend, the organ grinder called life (spiced with apathy and disheartening news). Your sheet is just fine for what you have in mind.

Any criticisms welcome, apologies for the wall of text.

Raynoson:

drmigit2:

You might want to brush up on history and general background my good man, according to his age and general background you'd be better suite for the 1900's setting really. While not trying to shove you off, this is more of the early 1800's. While I'll be taking a couple of things later on during the period, most things remain the same.

Well it is what it is. I kept most of it relevant to the 1800's so I am not quite sure what you are talking about. There was definitely a police force even in the early 1800's and I even mentioned how private investigators were only starting as a field. (The first was in the 1830's) You can feel free to deny it if you want but I don't see him not fitting in.

drmigit2:

Raynoson:

drmigit2:

Well it is what it is. I kept most of it relevant to the 1800's so I am not quite sure what you are talking about. There was definitely a police force even in the early 1800's and I even mentioned how private investigators were only starting as a field. (The first was in the 1830's) You can feel free to deny it if you want but I don't see him not fitting in.

the police force in new york is what concerns me, it wasn't till the mid 1800's that they started to gain momentum and relevance.

Raynoson:

drmigit2:

Raynoson:

the police force in new york is what concerns me, it wasn't till the mid 1800's that they started to gain momentum and relevance.

You never specified which part of the 1800's, just that it is in the 1800's. So I chose the year 1845 as a reference point. Mainly because that seemed early enough for me and that was still the early years of the private detective services. Also, you mentioned railroads, those really weren't prominent until the late 1850's and they hardly even existed until 1830. (Before then, the train cars were pulled by horses.)

Raynoson:
snikkt

Just to nail down the approximate year, is this 1800 to 1810 timeframe? Or 1790(ish) to circa 1820?Or what? My character will have drastic changes depending on this. And since you're debating over an 1840's character, I'd like to not come back and make lotsa changes that could've been avoided early on.

Redryhno:

-Snip-

Agreed, thought the changes with my character will be minor, I don't want to sieve through that wall o' text if the historical references are inappropriate. Hopefully this will be resolved sooner rather than later.

Redryhno:

Raynoson:
snikkt

Just to nail down the approximate year, is this 1800 to 1810 timeframe? Or 1790(ish) to circa 1820?Or what? My character will have drastic changes depending on this. And since you're debating over an 1840's character, I'd like to not come back and make lotsa changes that could've been avoided early on.

If we are having railroads, this really can't be any earlier than 1833, though even then, that was when the first not horse powered train was around and we did not have many. Really the earliest that would make sense would be 1840.

First things first, the time period will be around the early 1780's to late 1820's as a frame of reference.

Second your Power, I changed the sheet up so it reads as something supernatural or inhuman, anything from this earthly realm acquired from profession or otherwise past experience goes in notable skills.

Third, alternate history Rp's are a real witch to run at times, so pardon me if I make mistakes or have to fix my notes. The scope I'm aiming is big, and the issues are plenty. Technology at the same time and trends may not always match the ideal year, but for this rp to work I needed it to have access to some of the more advanced things, and introduction of others later.

drmigit2:

We are taking a great deal of liberties with history and technology alright? One of the big reasons I'd like you to change the Police to Night watch or something of that ilk is because I want a more disorganized and chaotic setting, before proper programs were in place. Granted that the Police sucked for much of the time, considering your age, issues would easily arise if you were participating within it in the first place. Being a PI I have no qualms with that, just the police business really.

Terratina.:

Any criticisms welcome, apologies for the wall of text.

Très bien, Mon Cherie. Même si un seul point de frapper sur. Harkstead is in America not Europe, an understandable mistake and your sheet makes it so it seems like such.

Redryhno:

Raynoson:
snikkt

This is really a big work in progress so sheets may have issues depending, just get your sheet out and I'll try to keep changes to a minimum.

Alright, I changed a few names around. Instead of Police he was in the Night Watch and soon became a Marshall and ended a Constable.

@Ray: I'll need to change the rifle model if we're working in the 1820s.

@Ray: Just to clarify, she wanted to go to Europe but had to go to Harkstead instead since she had to flee ASAP and the tickets had already been bought.

Also: is the power okay? =I'm guessing the derringer is as it was produced in 1825.

Terratina.:
@Ray: Just to clarify, she wanted to go to Europe but had to go to Harkstead instead since she had to flee ASAP and the tickets had already been bought.

Is the power okay?

From Paris, she boarded a train to Harkstead, is the way the sheet came off to me. If she wished to go to Harkstead then she'd have to take boat is what I mean. I'm a little preoccupied and taking car of some further details on this, but don't worry about any questions or walls of text, I got reading covered.

As for her power, it isn't really a Power more then a skill really, saying she's been able to persuade men more easily then usual goes in the the actual Power section. If she is just good at getting things out of men, then that she is just skilled in persuasion.

There is a big difference in your character depending on either. Shadowstar up there has hypnotic suggestion (I'll curb it qhen it comes to certain people) in his sheet, but if he said he was just persuasive as a skill, then it depends on him, not his Power.

Her power in essence is fine, the way its put just makes it seem like a skill.

RaNDM G:
@Ray: I'll need to change the rifle model if we're working in the 1820s.

Knew I was forgetting something to touch on, and yes it does indeed need to be changed. By the way is observation of yours a skill or a Power? If skill then it is limited by human function, if power, it is beyond the norm.

The choice is yours.

Raynoson:
Knew I was forgetting something to touch on, and yes it does indeed need to be changed. By the way is observation of yours a skill or a Power? If skill then it is limited by human function, if power, it is beyond the norm.

The choice is yours.

A Whitney .69 flintlock would be more accurate.

Actually, I think I need to scrap most of my bio. Irish immigrants didn't flood textile mills until the 1830s at least. That's way too far ahead for our time frame.

Hunter's Eye is what I would call a passive power. It assists in day to day as well as in combat, but isn't used like a spell. Attribute it to greater marksmanship, faster reaction time, and a bit of skill in negotiating.

Just one more thing. I think your time frame is too early for the railroads. Trains were not commercially established in the United States until the 1830s, and even then the U.S. only had around 40 miles of track. You did say you would be using future tech in this RP, but this is still the horse and carriage era we're living in. If you want, we can boost it up ten or twenty years, make sure your background is accurate to the period.

Changed the power and the travel details to add variety and make more sense.

RaNDM G:

Raynoson:

The choice is yours.

A Whitney .69 flintlock would be more accurate.

Actually, I think I need to scrap most of my bio. Irish immigrants didn't flood textile mills until the 1830s at least. That's way too far ahead for our time frame.

Hunter's Eye is what I would call a passive power. It assists in day to day as well as in combat, but isn't used like a spell. Attribute it to greater marksmanship, faster reaction time, and a bit of skill in negotiating.

Just one more thing. I think your time frame is too early for the railroads. Trains were not commercially established in the United States until the 1830s, and even then the U.S. only had around 40 miles of track. You did say you would be using future tech in this RP, but this is still the horse and carriage era we're living in. If you want, we can boost it up ten or twenty years, make sure your background is accurate to the period.

Well aware of that and mentioned already as is, just leave the tech and years alone as we do have steam engine at the moment. I have an actual reason for the years as is, and it doesn't exactly hurt to speed the tech along.

Terratina.:

The power is just fine and fits very well like a glove, approved entirely.

I am most certainly joining this. Hold on, and I'll have a sheet up soon.

Updated.

Raynoson:

Merveilleux!

Just wondering, how many players will be enough to start?

WARNING: HARD HAT ZONE: CHARACTER SHEET UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Still some work left. would apreciate feedback on what is currently there.

Thanks

Terratina.:

Raynoson:

Merveilleux!

Just wondering, how many players will be enough to start?

At the moment anywhere between 6-8.

willofbob:

I know a WIP but for now let me list a few things, we've already got a mesmerizing fellow I'm afraid with his own speech, yours is more detailed but his is more sparse. If you want to change or find some other solution feel free to to suggest so.

History as a Scholar I'm curious to know how that will work out, but feel free to continue work.

RaNDM G:
Updated.

Approved.

madox ford:

Thanks

"Who are you, that do not know your own history?", everything else seems fine but this is a big point.

Shadowstar38:

EDIT: Suggestions have been added.

Terratina.:

RaNDM G:
Updated.

drmigit2:

Last Call to confirm these are your characters and you are satisfied with everything you have posted.

For the below two, please finish your sheets at least so we can get things rolling out, if you are busy or no longer interested then just post and inform me here.

madox ford:

Thanks

willofbob:

Hey, is this still open? If so I'll have a sheet up tomorrow afternoon.

MortifiedPenguin:
Hey, is this still open? If so I'll have a sheet up tomorrow afternoon.

It is.

All done. let me know if it requres changes.

*EDIT* Changes made

madox ford:

All done. let me know if it requres changes.

The history is a bit disorganized and hard to understand exactly at first glance. Why and what did the Occult worshipers teach him, and even more so why did he help them? Fleshing it out more along with the relation between himself and his family would also aid greatly, but is not required.
In the least their occupation would be best to explain their wealth.

Hope my man, Mahoney, is to your liking.

Edit 2: Changed!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked