Of Machinations and Monsters (Open Sign-Up, Fantasy Adventure)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

@http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/540.386273-Machinations-and-Monsters-Game-Thread-Fantasy-Adventure-Open-See-inside-for-Details

Game thread.

Of Machinations and Monsters-A fantasy adventure in world of beasts of all shapes, sizes, and power, those brave enough to leave the fortified cities go forth and slay them for their prized parts. A war of the hunters and the hunted, of the civilized and the wild, only time will tell how it will end.
Able to be nearly any kind of race, including those of a monstrous variety, you'll have to survive and thrive in a world were you are only worth as much as your parts. Based off roughly from Monster Hunters, Monster Blood Tattoo series, and a few other sources, expect shady deals, fierce fights, and dangerous nights.

Setting/Background:Welcome to the land of Audarg, vast in size and nearly impossible to show in a 1000th scale model. The name in Old speech as shown means loosely "Fallen Ruin", why this is, is unknown. Historians have tried to research it and have only found the meaning, along with the phrase "Gimlicnb Erowt".

Common Races (Elf, Dwarf, Human) are unchanged , while unique (Beast Kind, Sea Folk, Air Kin) are varied and differing as anything else. The more rare and unseen are creations purely of magic, sentient golems as an example is one kind.

This looks interesting. I might submit a sheet soonish.

Just wondering, can be there any half-Beast Kind, quarter-Beast Kind or mostly humaniod Beast Kinds, say the race was diluted with human blood?

Terratina.:
Just wondering, can be there any half-Beast Kind, quarter-Beast Kind or mostly humaniod Beast Kinds, say the race was diluted with human blood?

Yes, yes there can. the example character is an example of such a thing. The races history at some point mixed with more humanoid species and created "birth defects" of two legged serpents.

While not every species can for the more specialized one biology wise, you can usually find anything to fit the bill.

Cybele:
This looks interesting. I might submit a sheet soonish.

Take your time.

I'm just announcing my interest, I'll likely have a sheet up for this one. I really love the idea, I must say.

Mortis Nuncius:
I'm just announcing my interest, I'll likely have a sheet up for this one. I really love the idea, I must say.

Noted and appreciated.

Looks very interesting. I'll most likely be submitting a sheet for this.

One question however, you note that Gods rarely act does that mean that occupations such as Priests and Paladins would be more like their real-life equivalents, zealous men and women with a strict code of conduct but without much/any magic, or more like their fantasy equivalents, being able to call upon their god for blessings and other 'miracles'?

Hagi:
Looks very interesting. I'll most likely be submitting a sheet for this.

One question however, you note that Gods rarely act does that mean that occupations such as Priests and Paladins would be more like their real-life equivalents, zealous men and women with a strict code of conduct but without much/any magic, or more like their fantasy equivalents, being able to call upon their god for blessings and other 'miracles'?

Alright then... For gods and priest and paladins most are indeed the real-life equal of zealous folk with codes set by their church or sect. Some can use magic and call it "Blessings/Miracles" through themselves. Leading to how it is hard to determine truth for lie overall. There are a few fabled few and fierce who truly can use powers beyond the scope of average magic and experience.

The The Seven Knights of Her give example of a rather active goddess and how She both blessed/cursed her heralds. That story will come in to play later.

Well here goes my character sheet, tell me if I need to improve on anything.

EDIT: I improved on everything. The thing was I did not rush the sheet as this was in the beginning only a draft as I only had a brief understanding of what to write about. So now it should be much better.

A question if I may.
Would it be possible for such things as flash bombs and smoke bombs to exists? What about more complicated things like special arrows/crossbow bolts. Like, say, a fire arrow that bursts into fire once it hits something.
The way this could work is that there'd be a small vial attached to the tip of the arrow/bolt, containing a liquid that burns when it comes into contact with air.

I've been playing too much Thief lately....

yokillernick:

First is don't rush sheets and check spelling/grammar, second his history is shoddy and out of order when it comes down to it. No explanations or background for his magic and ability, and details on his sword is needed. I.E is it just steel, is it prized, is it mixed with ashes of an elemental, etc.

Killing a council member in Gorse effectively makes you the council leader, no discussion. Failing to kill them and being found out means you are already dead. So an interesting point if you wish to add that, or remove it. Of course organizing a deal of some sort works as well, but that tends to be heavy.
Hunting alone as a non-native as well is rather stupid of anyone and makes sense for how he earns so little, so kudos for that keeping in line.

Cybele:
A question if I may.
Would it be possible for such things as flash bombs and smoke bombs to exists? What about more complicated things like special arrows/crossbow bolts. Like, say, a fire arrow that bursts into fire once it hits something.
The way this could work is that there'd be a small vial attached to the tip of the arrow/bolt, containing a liquid that burns when it comes into contact with air.

I've been playing too much Thief lately....

ho ho ho, yes of course, Common Weaponized chemicals and aids range from flaming arrows, slings that hurl flasks, and other tools to increase range and speed of such things.
You'll find that arrow heads are designed as tipped cylinders to hold chemicals and other aids, or simple soaked cloth wrapped around, along with any number of devices. Alchemists and others all have their own style and use.

Flash and Smoke are both well used in the sense of creating bright light is bread and butter, while smoke to cover sight is improved with incense and other smells to ward or mask one self.

All-right, a first draft for my character. I'll probably add some stuff when I come up with it or if I get feedback.

Let me know if there are any issues with it.

Hagi:
All-right, a first draft for my character. I'll probably add some stuff when I come up with it or if I get feedback.

Let me know if there are any issues with it.

Standard not much to talk about, with room to grow and add on. All good.

2 things that I'm not completely sure are in the rules. If you are allowed to name a god, and if magic can change physical looks that much.

EDIT: Added the detail for hi armor.

Shadowstar38:

2 things that I'm not completely sure are in the rules. If you are allowed to name a god, and if magic can change physical looks that much.

The sheet is okay if lacking some details. As far as I'm concerned magic can do tons of shit and dark rituals are no limit to twisting the appearance and biology. Heading to a forbidden temple, read evil book, casting evil ritual after doing a wee bit of cannibalism, followed by demonic hunger and shape? That is what I'm getting from you at the moment.
Is his armor enchanted or mixed with anything, or is it just metal?

As a fan of the Moster Blood Tattoo series im very interested. i will right up a character sheet and put it here.

Any problems, let me know.

Terratina.:

Any problems, let me know.

Seems perfectly fine.

EDIT: I improved on everything. The thing was I did not rush the sheet as this was in the beginning only a draft as I only had a brief understanding of what to write about. So now it should be much better.

Server ate my post twice while trying to edit so I'm going to post it here as a new post.

yokillernick:

Server ate my post twice while trying to edit so I'm going to post it here as a new post.

Approval! Very nice and everything.

Got room for another? Say, a young Kitsune?

Oh my, yes.

Care if I join? I think you guys need a sellsword.

Ultraman950:

Dr. wonderful:
Oh my, yes.

Put your sheets up and he'll tell you what he thinks of them as soon as he see's them.

Shadowstar38:

Ultraman950:

Dr. wonderful:
Oh my, yes.

Put your sheets up and he'll tell you what he thinks of them as soon as he see's them.

Thank you for that, but I can speak for myself if need be =P.

Ultraman950:

I can understand where your coming from and please note not all magic needs sacrifices and rituals at times. Though it does add background and etc.

Okay, first things first... History is a big issue, your build of a character I honestly don't mind that much, the history itself is sparse and lacks any details to build on the past experiences. If anything then to at least set limitations on your own knowledge and skills.

While I wouldn't mind if you left it as is, I'd like a little something to paint a picture of her.

Here is my character sheet. This RP sounds really fun! :D

I hope the bio is to your liking, Raynoson!

Raynoson:

Shadowstar38:

Ultraman950:

Dr. wonderful:
Oh my, yes.

Thank you for that, but I can speak for myself if need be =P.

Ultraman950:

I can understand where your coming from and please note not all magic needs sacrifices and rituals at times. Though it does add background and etc.

Okay, first things first... History is a big issue, your build of a character I honestly don't mind that much, the history itself is sparse and lacks any details to build on the past experiences. If anything then to at least set limitations on your own knowledge and skills.

While I wouldn't mind if you left it as is, I'd like a little something to paint a picture of her.

I'll have to think on it. Backstory can be pretty hard for me, sorry. Might be a while. Probably tomorrow.

Ohlawdylawdy:
Snap

Dude, please adhere to some common sense. Please put your sheet in a spoiler and then I'll read it. If you are new and don't know how to do as such don't worries. Simply do as such...

<'spoiler'>(content)<'/spoiler'> Simply remove ' from between each and you're good. If my tone comes as angry I'm sorry, but it is an understandable mistake.

Dr. wonderful:

Okay pretty standard history and etc. now on to some details... For his smiting and enchanting skills there are three kinds of standards for weapon creation and changing.

1.Enchanting-People with raw magic power but no specific outlet in a sense can usually learn the basic of forcing magic in to their tools, or some inherent skill. this is the most common and varies in both charge and use. Most gain power from background magic like a sponge.

2.Monster Material-Forged with metals or crafted, many still have properties of the slain beast or some kind of power.

3.Combination-Little bit of this, little bit of that, an everyone is happy. Varying in power and force.

So which is our little blacksmith more invested in? Along with that is did he sell his swords or just lose them? If you want I can add some plots for it.

Ultraman950:

Here are some things to consider if you need a hand, how did she interact with others, who did she mess with.
Why are her powers like that for a kitsune involving sacrifices? Most pure and powerful ones can do it easily as shedding clothing. If she is weaker or a hyrbrid that might make sense.

It's mostly petty thefts, sometimes just stuff that she could sell for some quick cash, and it's rarely anyone that important, though she prefers to steal from people she knows can afford to lose it (though anyone from middle-class on up is fair game, as is anyone with a large stash somewhere). Like the sheet says, she's not totally heartless. Just a bit of a kleptomaniac.

She's up for messing with anyone. She enjoys using the art of confusion and/or frustration on people. Which might call for a different title... "Honeyed Words" implies saying nice things, not confusing things.

I'll put that much in her sheet.

Well, the first post said that magic comes at a price, and shapeshifting is generally regarded as a very useful power, so... I figured it would need a hefty price. If it's okay for her to just be able to do it whenever, then great. I'm trying to avoid Mary Sue-ing. :P

Ultraman950:
It's mostly petty thefts, sometimes just stuff that she could sell for some quick cash, and it's rarely anyone that important, though she prefers to steal from people she knows can afford to lose it (though anyone from middle-class on up is fair game, as is anyone with a large stash somewhere). Like the sheet says, she's not totally heartless. Just a bit of a kleptomaniac.

She's up for messing with anyone. She enjoys using the art of confusion and/or frustration on people. Which might call for a different title... "Honeyed Words" implies saying nice things, not confusing things.

I'll put that much in her sheet.

Well, the first post said that magic comes at a price, and shapeshifting is generally regarded as a very useful power, so... I figured it would need a hefty price. If it's okay for her to just be able to do it whenever, then great. I'm trying to avoid Mary Sue-ing. :P

Up to you really. I just saw potential in that, as for the issue of Mary Sue, I thought her personality would be rather harmful to those around her to help balance things out.

Okay, I edited my original sheet to include more backstory, and a different title. Let me know if it's any better. :)

Raynoson:

Ohlawdylawdy:
Snap

*snip*

Sorry, it's fixed now.

Raynoson:

Dr. wonderful:

Okay pretty standard history and etc. now on to some details... For his smiting and enchanting skills there are three kinds of standards for weapon creation and changing.

1.Enchanting-People with raw magic power but no specific outlet in a sense can usually learn the basic of forcing magic in to their tools, or some inherent skill. this is the most common and varies in both charge and use. Most gain power from background magic like a sponge.

2.Monster Material-Forged with metals or crafted, many still have properties of the slain beast or some kind of power.

3.Combination-Little bit of this, little bit of that, an everyone is happy. Varying in power and force.

So which is our little blacksmith more invested in? Along with that is did he sell his swords or just lose them? If you want I can add some plots for it.

Warrior's heart and femme fatale were both designed with option 3, and so were Venik. Venik himself was designed as the ultimate blacksmith, you know those guys who create swords of evil bane and all that junk? Yeah, that our blacksmith (Blame skyrim on my blacksmithing appeal).

Now the Gorgon sword is straight up the second option. The eye itself is simply a modified relic from at least 50 years prior to the RP. I leave iy up to you on what the Amulet original purpose for, who knows? it may show up sown the RP line.

The swords were all created as random acts of kindness. The gorgon sword was created for a villiage far up north. Femme fatale was given to a village down south and finally Warrior's heart was left as a trophy for a warrior challenge.

God know where the hell they are now.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked