Timed Misery (1800's Supernatural Mystery Adventure, Closed Game Thread)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Jacqueline-On the train headed for Harkstead, Luggage car

The Conductor walked nonchalantly into the luggage car. She guessed that he must be looking for her and she was obviously not supposed to be here judging from the reaction the Irishman had when he saw her. The Conductor was peering between the crates and chests looking for any evidence she had left, he walked past where she was hiding oblivious that she was right in front of him.

The Irishman leapt out and bashed The Conductor between the shoulder blades, he had obviously not seen him coming and cried out in anguish and surprise falling to the floor. Before he could rise the Irishman smacked his head with the hammer, with a loud crack The Conductor fell silent. Oddly there was no blood, maybe he was just stunned by the blow? That was impossible though, Jacqueline had seen men bleed in bar fight, and the head would bleed the most, any hammer would be able to break the skin. The Irishman then dragged The Conductor's limp body to the door and chucked him out then left the car. With a thump any evidence of what had happened was gone.

"Hello? Mr.Conductor?"

The Mozart playing brute had walked into the car, she watched one man die, silently hiding, doing nothing, she would watch another life being taken away. She rushed up to the man from her hiding place and wrapped her hands around his mouth.

"Do you like living?" The shock of seeing The Conductor brutalised like that made her forget about lowing her voice, she spoke in tone of a young upper class woman, "Then stay quiet" And waited for the Brute's response.

John- Luggage area on Train

Out from nowhere the feminine man lunged at John. Placing his/her hands over John's mouth.
"Do you like living?..Then stay quiet" A woman's voice squeaks out.

"You mugging me?" he chuckles in a stone scrapping way.

John has never been one to get surprised over someone trying to mug him. In fact living on the docks it was almost a daily occurrence. But, it was a daily occurrence for him to break people. Either would be bandits, or fighters.

Softly with a dead pan face, "I'll give you a chance to breathe, rethink, and tell me where the conductor is."

"You mugging me? I'll give you a chance to breathe, rethink, and tell me where the conductor is."

Realising that rushing out of her hiding place and placing her hands over the large man's mouth and then asking him weather or not he liked living, did look a bit suspect. She took her hands off the man's face and started pacing frantically up and down the aisle.

"No I'm not try to mug you, only a fool would do that" She said in a hushed voice "And the Conductor? I don't know, some parts of him would be on the train wheels, some on the train tracks and the rest splattered over the countryside.

John-On the train headed for Harkstead, Luggage car

"No I'm not try to mug you, only a fool would do that" "And the Conductor? I don't know, some parts of him would be on the train wheels, some on the train tracks and the rest splattered over the countryside.

Seeing her panic and pacing, he knew what ever happened here wasn't her doing. But he can't let whoever just walk either. Kneeling down, gently placing one meaty paw on her shoulder and staring her straight into the eyes.

"I will protect you. Now, who did this?" And where did they go?"

The brute knelt down and paced one of his large hands on her shoulder and looked her right in her eye.

"I will protect you. Now, who did this?" And where did they go?"

She brushed his hand off her shoulder quickly "I don't need protecting, I can look after myself just fine." She paused for a moment to remember what had exactly happened, "He went through the door at the other end of this car, he has red heir. Just watch out. There was something wrong with him. He thinks he's a hammer. There wasn't any blood when he hit the Conductors head in either."

John-On the train headed for Harkstead, Luggage car

"He went through the door at the other end of this car, he has red heir. Just watch out. There was something wrong with him. He thinks he's a hammer. There wasn't any blood when he hit the Conductors head in either."

John stands with a determined look.

"Hammer? Thats funny. I'm John The Anvil Mahoney... professional fighter and pianist" Puts up his fist as if getting ready for a fight and smirks when he says pianist.

"You have two options. Help me, or get help."

Not waiting for a response he charges the door and attempting to go through it with all his strength. He figures the element of surprise is best won by scaring the crap out of him.

Train Bound to Harkstead... Luggage/Log Car.

John burst through the door successfully! Failing to realize the laws of motion and the fact that his strength is rather strong, he stumbles and falls on the link between the two cars. If not for his size and skills, he may have fallen off the side of the car and be dashed to pieces at a speed of 28 miles per hour (liberties).

Getting up quickly and looking at the back of the train, he can't see anyone or any odd movements on the logs, pass the coal, or in the general area in front of him...

Passenger Car...

As the Hulk that is John moves past, the train begins to shudder in the noticeable idea of it slowing down. A sign passes by the window on either side reading "Rock Slide Ahead", anyone with rather keen eyes would notice that they were simple wooden boards quickly hammered in.

Donal - Passenger Car

Donal glances at the sign and opens the window. He looks ahead of the track.

"Oh no... Oh no."

Donal panics and jolts up, banging the crown of his head on the window frame. He falls sideways onto his seat and holds his head with both of his hands. The shock subsides a bit and he carefully stands up. He leaves his seat, still a little disoriented, and quickly heads outside and into the luggage car. He shouts for the conductor.

"'ello? Sir? Are you in here?"

He waits for a reply but finds none. He sees the French girl and talks to her.

"I think we'll hit something. 'ave you seen the man in charge?"

Lucrece Leblanc - Harkstead-bound Train, Passenger Car

The face said it all, Lucrece felt sorry for the man and for bringing the subject up, but she had to know where that memory fragment of a bloody field filled with gunpowder and smoke come from. It was bound to be a battleground, the question being only when and where. She quickly secured her lace gloves as she know that she didn't want any more images of bloodshed. In the end, they just reminded Lucrece of her own murder. She dabbed her eyes with an embodied handkerchief from her purse in a play of mock tears. She couldn't shed tear for a father she didn't know. She replied soon after.

"I am terribly sorry for your loss mademoiselle. War is a truly horrible thing."

"Indeed, merci beaucoup." She said, putting the handkerchief back in her purse, "Have you been in the wars yourself, Doctor?"

She had to know, the Doctor's troubled be damned. She steadied herself as another thump punctuated the end of her reply. It was so loud that she didn't hear Donal's question.

Dr Beakon on the train

"Indeed, merci beaucoup.Have you been in the wars yourself, Doctor?"

Why? Why couldn't anyone ever leave that topic alone? He didn't mind discussing the war itself, even the chaos of the field hospitals, but any thought of it brought back those images. His brother dying on a table, being dragged away helpless, kicking and screaming. And then his downfall, his tragedy. Lost in thought he barely noticed the thud.

Best to try to steer her away from the topic of war, he thought. Make her feel a little guilty for bringing it up.

"Yes Mme Leblanc, i have seen more than my fair share of war. I worked as a doctor in several campaigns. None of them pretty and all of them a terrible waste of life. I stood over man after man as he breathed his last, moments like that ... change you."

He immediately felt guilty. He didn't want and didn't disserve sympathy from her, he shouldn't be playing the victim.

The man looked sad and sullen as he gave his reply. Lucrece had not-so-subtly pressured him into giving an answer, and here it was.

"Yes Mme Leblanc, I have seen more than my fair share of war. I worked as a doctor in several campaigns. None of them pretty and all of them a terrible waste of life. I stood over man after man as he breathed his last, moments like that ... change you."

She nodded mournfully, eager to change the subject, she had her answers, now to the matter of the constant thud and where the big bull of a man ran off to. With a doctor, a thief, a private detective, a brute and a huntsman, this was like one of Voltaire's books, the one where the main character performed feats of analysis over problems like this. Two thumps were heard but not felt, then it was not the rickety old train, it was something else.

"I'm sure you saved as many as you could, Doctor." She replied, "Now let us speak of other things, such as the manner of what is happening in the luggage car. There have been a lot of thumps recently..."

John-On the train headed for Harkstead, Log car

"Meant to do that." he mumbles to himself

Preparing for a surprise attack John moves slowly, planing his attacks. This "Hammer" is dangerous so toying with him isn't an option. He picks up coal and crumbles it in his hand, the black powder should work to temporary blind the Hammer. As he walks up to the log pile he thinks; "Blind, Disarm, immobilize... possible a kick to the groin or stomping his foot with all my strength".

Dr Beakon on train

Doctor Beakon studied her face as he spoke. She seemed to have got the hint to drop the topic, her face certainly indicated that she knew it was not a subject to be pushed further.
Strange he thought that he know so little about her. She was the daughter of a dead solider, French and an aristocrat. Aside from those facts he knew nothing, and yet he found something strangely intriguing about her.

"I'm sure you saved as many as you could, Doctor. Now let us speak of other things, such as the manner of what is happening in the luggage car. There have been a lot of thumps recently."

Relieved that the topic had and eager to spend more time in her company he stood up before saying. "Indeed. Perhaps we best go and investigate." Before offering her his hand to pull herself up.

One hint for another and Beakon caught into it quickly. She, however, caught onto the fact that he was looking at her in a kind, yet strange way that reminded herself of her previous clients. Lucrece brushed that memory away as hopefully that incident wouldn't happen again. Why did this kind gentlemen always remind her of blood? Seeing that the Doctor had stood and had extended a hand to help her up, she accepted. The lace gloves were a thin barrier but effective nonetheless. No flash of memories this time.

"Indeed. Perhaps we best go and investigate."

She grasped the hand and lead Beakon to the luggage carriage. She hoped she wasn't being too direct.

"Allons-y!" Lucrece said as she walked up to the luggage car, Beakon in hand. Truth was, her walk was almost a run.

But when she reached the link between the two cars, she stopped in her tracks, the doorways framing the sight. There was 'Jack', looking a bit flustered in her gentlemanly attire. She was pacing up and down. Obviously something had happen since the luggage car looked more of a mess than usual and the disguised girl with look on her face like she had seen a ghost. Lucrece raised her free hand to mouth in shock as she considered all of the terrible possibilities.

Train bound to Harkstead... Log car.

(This is how the train cars are... misc.-Coal-Log-luggage-Passenger-Passenger-Engine and etc.)

John was prepared as he strode across the Logs, as they gently rocked and tipped underfoot, he was wise to be ready in case of attack, but not wise enough to check behind him, say... on the roof?
The not so gentle thump of a man falling as the train slowed sounded behind him, anyone in the luggage car could hear it clearly, and even on the outside it was audible.
Followed by cursing in Gaeilge, if there were any doubts of this being an Irish man, then they'd be removed if one knew the tongue.

Luggage Car

From the Car it is clear sight down the aisle to see John and the shattered door, not to mention hear the wind and whistle of it coming in.

A thump and cursing is heard.

The brute ran at high speed towards the coal car with a loud thud with one remark to Jacqueline.

"You have two options. Help me, or get help."

The question was, who would classify as help? She thought on this as she paced up and down the luggage car. The only person she could think of was that man who was going around telling everyone that he was a private detective or something. He might have some experience with things like this. But she was on the other side of the law, and this detective would probably turn her in, citing a sense of justice and responsibility as the reason. There was the owner of all the furs, but he didn't seem the friendly type. There was that French airhead, the aristocrat, but all she'd do is get in the way. There was that British gentleman, but that was too risky. What if her father's wanted posters were posted all over Great Britain? She sighed.

In the end, she would have to do this alone, just like the old times. She stroked the blackjack in her coat pocket, thinking through thuds and clamours that were growing even more frequent. Jacqueline eventually decided that she wouldn't rely on others like the helpless girl the brute thought her to be; she would be the help. whether he liked it or not. She stopped her pacing and turned around, only to see that damned aristocrat and that thrice-damned doctor. Jacqueline could think of the accusations they might throw at her, seeing her panicked state. She tried to calm herself down by telling herself simple instructions. Maintain the disguise, tell them about the murder and the murderer, act normally, and relax. Jacqueline looked up, her eyes meeting theirs as she told them the grim news in a low voice.

"The Conductor was murdered!" She said, mustering all her will to maintain the disguise, "It was an Irishman with red hair and a hammer. He might still be here."

Donal - Log Car

"What t'e Hell do you think you're doing?!"

Donal shouts at John as he gets on the log car. He had just overheard the girl tell the others the conductor was dead. This man doesn't look like the person she described, but you can't be too careful.

"Stay where you are! I'm coming to you!"

He climbs up the car and crosses over to John.

Dr Beakon Luggage compartment

Mme Leblanc taking the Doctor Beaker's hand pelted from the carriage, practically dragging him with her. The thought that this kind of behaviour wasn't particularly lady like struck him but was suppressed by the sight that confronted him.

Upon cantering into the luggage compartment he paused to take in the situation. His companion had paused, impeding his vision but he could make out another figure in the carriage. The door to the next carriage was completely missing and from outside he thought he could see a figure. The wind whipped his top hat off and it bowled past Mme Leblanc and out of the train to be crushed on the rails below.

The figure, turned to him and Mme Leblanc before saying
"The Conductor was murdered! It was an Irishman with red hair and a hammer. He might still be here."

Suddenly he heard a thud and another figure appeared on the opposite carriage. Making a split second decision he decided to brush past Mme Leblanc and proceed to the doorway. He knew that had he been on his own he would have been more cautious, but felt compelled to protect his companion.

Flustered and anxious but still trying to conceal his abilities he subtly altered his body, increasing the density of his bones and ever so slightly increasing the volume of his muscles as he leaned out of the carriage and took stock of the of the new arrival. Large, red hair and carrying a hammer, he certainly met the description.

"Sir" the doctor called out "explain yourself!"

EDIT: apollogise for inconcistancies. Beleived hammer had jumped onto log car.

Lucrece Leblanc - Harkstead-bound Train, Luggage Car

The Doctor didn't seem to enjoy the little run to the edge of the passenger car and quickly escaped when Lucrece released her grip in her shock. The woman clad in gentlemen's clothes had stared her right in the eye when she told them the news.

"The Conductor was murdered!" She said, "It was an Irishman with red hair and a hammer. He might still be here."

Lucrece, however, still had her suspicions. This girl had something to hide, that was to be sure and maybe this ploy was a little scheme of hers... But she couldn't just stand there. Lucrece wouldn't be the girl who waited while the men rushed forth to deal with the situation. She cautiously strode into the luggage car and preceded to watch for the windows for a sign of a red-headed male with a hammer. But before that, she apologised to Dr. Beakon, murder or no murder, the poor man had been dragged by her and had lost his hat, which looked like it was an expensive purchase.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." She shouted while trying not to deafen 'Jacky' who stood there, watching out for the murderer, lest he make a re-appearance.

Lucrece looked down at the floor. If the murder had occurred in the luggage car, why wasn't there any blood? A large hammer would have crushed the poor man and gore would have caked the walls. Or maybe Lucrece was overestimating the amount of blood, no matter, the floor was as clean as it ever as. She turned to 'Jacky'. Knowing that she couldn't be relied on to tell the whole story, she mentally prepared herself for gruesome scene and took the glove off her right hand then went to clutch the disguised woman's hand in a comforting fashion.

"You poor thing," She said, "But you must answer this for me: did you see the murder? And if so, was there any blood?"

Harkstead Train

The man (Mr.Hammer as Dubbed) was soon running across the train cars, pounding across the ricktey frame and gaining speed.

Whether or not he heard the Doctors cries did not matter, because either way he seemed to ignore it and continue on his own pace.
---

Far Away in a distant area.
Far away in the distance, a man and woman were looking at the events on the train. To far for any normal eye sight, and even the most enhanced, they were using simple telescopes.

"Damned interference, should we really have hired Horace?" The man was pompous in tone, and the woman replied in a reedy one.

"He's related dear, he'll get the job done, and is rather powerful, have you seen his skill?"

There conversation was lost on the birds in the trees, and the porter.

John-On the train headed for Harkstead, Log car

"What t'e Hell do you think you're doing?! Stay where you are! I'm coming to you!"

John looks at the bushy bearded man and helps him upon the log car. Not sure why the guy is yelling at him but assume this must be the help.

" Jolly good. ER.. so you're the help? I'm John and we are gonna catch a murderer."

Not really waiting, John maneuvers over to begin his climb towards the cursing Mr.Hammer. Looking back at Donald.

" What are ya, a hunter? Ever hunt people?" Laughs a bit and continues his climb.

"More than you know, friend."

"You poor thing," She said, "But you must answer this for me: did you see the murder? And if so, was there any blood?"

Jacqueline wasn't sure if the French woman was being condescending or actually trying to comfort her. However this posed a new problem, how should she react? If she pulled away that would be suspicious, but if she did nothing her disguise as a man might be broken. Maintain the disguise, tell them about the murder and the murderer, act normally, and relax. Troubled by deciding what to do her reply came stilted and a moment too late.

"I saw the murder ma'am, the Conductor was knocked over, hit on the head with a hammer and thrown out the car." She said calmly, maintaining the low voice, "No, there wasn't any blood, that was the strangest thing ma'am"

Lucrece Leblanc - Harkstead-bound Train, Luggage Car

Jacky almost pulled away from her grasp, but thought better of it and stood still. Lucrece didn't care about the fact that she was being unladylike and direct. This was a time to be direct and unladylike, manners be damned. A murder had just be committed and it was a matter of self-preservation, one amiss detail could spell her end. One should know the habits of these thugs in order to avoid them. Luckily, with her ability, whether this suspicious character lied mattered little, she would have the hard truth. It flowed through from Jacky to her like water.

The conductor apporaches, the red-headed man does the same from behind, he strikes with the hammer, there is no blood, only sound.

After the flash, Lucrece's hand when limp and she pulled away from Jacky, intrigued by this honest rogue but worried about Beakon. She turned to the window. The killer was still on the loose and most likely outside somewhere. He could be the next victim or knocked off the train. As for the bull, well Lucrece didn't want any more bloodshed, but didn't know the man. She turned back to the disguised women to give her thanks.

"I saw the murder ma'am, the Conductor was knocked over, hit on the head with a hammer and thrown out the car." She said in a low voice,"No, there wasn't any blood, that was the strangest thing ma'am"

"Well thank you for your time, Monsieur." Lucrece said as she walked away to the pile of furs, with a knowing smile on her face.

Dr Beakon leaning out of luggage car

The doctor clambered out from the luggage compartment leaping over the gap onto the log car. Ignoring the two figure on the car he instead turned and launched himself at the roof of the luggage compartment. Slightly misjudging the angle his body smashed into the carriage, but his hands managed to get a firm grim and he slowly pulled him up.

He dashed after his target, blood pouring from his nose, probably broken he guessed. Caring little for his appearance he began to drastically alter his shape. Growing in size by a few inches, his body was left misshapen as he focused on his legs and upper body, his wrist and hands strengthened and from his knuckles small hard calcium protrusions grew.

"Sir" He called out again "I must demand that you halt"

Train Bound for Harkstead, on top of the Train, Luggage/Passenger

As the doctor moved with surprising speed and began to look a bit monstrous, anyone looking at him from behind would barely notice, that is unless they had an Eye for him (Donal can see changes happening, not specifics).

Mr.Hammer (Not his official name), looked behind him, his hammer still clutched in his hand and sneered as the Doctor and his odd shift. Still ignoring his words and personally finding it odd in general, Mr.H looked back to what was in front of him.

(The Train cars are a bit longer then you'd think by the way.)

The train was still slowing down, and soon it'd come to a point where anyone could safely jump off.

The nosy aristocrat finally released Jacqueline from her grip, she backed away breathing a sigh of relief. However when she glanced back at the aristocrat, the feeling of relief quickly drained out of her. She saw a smug smile spread over the aristocrat's face; did she know about her secret?

The commotion on the roof of the car distracted Jacqueline, her present qualms forgotten for now, she wondered what was going on above her. Curiosity got the better of her and she moved over to windows, looking for one she could open. She found one quickly and yanked it open, the window pane screeching as it slid down. The wind gushed in freely an knocked her hat off, she chose to ignore and hoisted herself out of the window.

Poking her head above the roof of the car, she saw a figure looming in the distance. It ran quickly towards 'Mr. Hammer' who was at the opposite end, as it got closer it looked less like a human being and more like a twisted contortion of what used to be a man. The event on the train were getting odder by the minute, first a man with wounds that should have bled but didn't and now this.

"Sir" He called out again "I must demand that you halt"

The voice was from one of the passengers she had shared a car with, but she couldn't place who it was from.

John-Train Bound for Harkstead, on top of the Train, Luggage

John being more strength then agile, ended up punching holes into the side of the luggage car as he climbed. Slowing himself down more then he intended too. Once on top his massive size made the roof creek under every heavy thump of a foot step as he gave chase. The only thing John was hearing was the wind whipping his oversized ears. Thankfully his bowler cap was one size to small and didn't budge from his skull.

" HEY! HAMMER! YOU SCARED THIS ANVIL IS GONNA CRUSH YA!?"

Then realizing other passengers were on the roof...

Keep the game plan, Disarm, immobilize. These guys can certainly help bring this Hammer down. Thought John as ran putting effort in not destroying the roof.

Donal - Luggage Roof

Donal leaps from the log car and grabs the edge of the luggage car's roof. He pulls himself up. He spots the killer, and the monster of a man standing behind him.

"I knew I should have grabbed my gun."

He hears several loud bangs, and John climbs up next to him.

"HEY! HAMMER! YOU SCARED THIS ANVIL IS GONNA CRUSH YA!?"

Donal gives him a disapproving look.

"Is t'at t'e best line you could come up wit'?"

The Train to Harkstead...

It was quite evident from the noise above, and the train slowing down enough so that it was at most 15 mph. Despite the running and jumping, Mr.Hammer still had a considerable distant against them all, the Doctor still managed to gain a slow lead, with Donal and John approaching at a decent rate.

Over the Passenger, and through the woods the train and people moved, until Mr.Hammer spun around on to the firm frame of the empty passenger car. Holding his hammer in his right, and having his left in a fist, he looked determined to fight.

With a Clear view he wasn't as big as John but he came close, and the train of the car provided enough space for him to swing, but the other three would be rather hampered.

"So how are we going to make t'is work? He'll bottle us in if we can't get around him."

Warren. Passanger Car.

As Warren conversed with the detective, he noticed that the train was beginning to fall into disarray. He hadnt noticed the man or the conductor move to the luggage car in his half asleep state, so what followed caught him by surprise. He heard the thump in the luggage car, and remained in his seat as pianist went to investigate. He listened intently after the doctor and Frenchwoman followed, and heard something that chilled him to the bone.

"The Conductor was murdered!"

Warren moved out of his seat and peered through the door of the luggage car. The large man, the doctor, and the hunter were gone. He listened and waited as the remaining passangers got themselves together.

Oh, this is a fine mess we're in.

REDACTED. Please pretend this post didn't happen.

Dr Beakon passanger car roof

As Doctor Beakon sprinted down roof he heard a tremendous sound behind him. A rhythmic thump like a blacksmith forging a weapon. Turning around he saw a monster of a man, a mountain of flesh running after him. He recognised him as one of his fellow passengers from the train, and was relieved to have backup. He heard him shout but the noise was torn away by the wind and he couldn't make out any specifics.

Returning is attention to the man in front he slowed for a second to consider the situation. He had to prevent culprit from escaping, however he didn't want to kill him. The best solution that he could come up with was to pin him down and wait for his fellow passengers to give him a hand. He sped up again , putting his head down and pushing on even faster.

Upon reaching the Doctor noted his considerable size but carried on nevertheless. Bracing himself for impact he threw himself at the man's legs. Hoping to bring him to the ground.

John-Train Bound for Harkstead, on top of the Train, Passenger car

"So how are we going to make t'is work? He'll bottle us in if we can't get around him."

The words rang true in his skull. When John was a kid he would always protect the smaller kids, especially from adults. Not much of a difference now to him either. Unusual psycho, two guys and his tough hide...

Then the adrenalin really kicked in as he noticed the Doc starting a lunge at The Hammer. NO! Shattered all other thoughts as his protective nature kicked him in his large ass. Putting strain into his thick treetrunk legs and leaving broken roof footprints (and some holes) in his wake as he ran faster. If his strides were a little smaller the roof might of cave in. Trying to place himself in the way of the Hammer's hammer by punching it... he just has to make it their in time, now.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked