Timed Misery (1800's Supernatural Mystery Adventure, Closed Game Thread)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

As she walked through uptown the residences became larger and wealthier, there were a few posh businesses but no inns or dos houses. None of them screamed wealth and luxury, none of them good places to rob. Until she reached 'The Lily'. It was styled upon the manors back in London, mimicking the extravagance, made of wood and plaster instead of marble and stone. Even so the place oozed with grandeur, there would be many affluent people here, owners of the coal mines and their wives.

She noticed the day watch was keeping an eye out for ne'er-do-wells and greeting who she could only presume were occupants of the 'The Lily' standing out in their opulent gowns and well tailored suits. She blended into the crowd and did a quick circuit of the inn, looking for any openings she could use later that night to discretely slip in and do some reconnaissance.

She noticed an urchin boy was selling papers and walked over to him.

"I'll have one of those lad, and I'll give you extra if you can tell me where the...seedier parts of town are."

Harkstead, John outside of an Opium den

"Perhaps quickly Mister...?"

"Mahoney."

A few more crashes and and shouting from within the den.

"John Mahoney...from London. Perhaps we should find a friendlier area"

At first the two briskly walked away. Then as soon as they reached an alley, both of then ran like the dickens. Teagan in the lead, John following suite, cutting in and out of "short cuts". Until they emerged from the dank dark grim filled alley into what felt like another world.

"Who knew trying to find work as a pianist, would led me... where ever we are?"

Donal - Down yonder

Donal FINALLY finishes pushing everything to the store. He walks inside.

Lucrece Leblanc - Angels' Rest, Mid Town

The woman came quickly and cleanly, not a hair nor thread out of place. She greeted Lucrece first in the English fashion, then the French, which she found out. Then again it should be not suprised, as Lucrece was sporting the latest fashions fresh from Paris. That pinned this plain woman down as one with a keen eye, for fashion or for the certain way the French carried themselves about that suggested a certain je ne sais quoi or just snobbishness depending on who you asked. Whoever she was, she spoke again, as if waiting for a reply in the overbearingly polite way that servants sometimes acted.

"How can I help you madam?"

"A room for one, please. With a view." Lucrece answered, "I can pay in dollars or francs."

The porter was there resting on one of the seats in the lounge area, no doubt he would have to battle through the exhaustion and summon up more strength if he was to carry all that luggage up to an upstairs room. Lucrece faintly smiled to herself, there was something endearing about the poor porter.

MortifiedPenguin:
Harkstead, Up-Town, The Lily, Jacqueline

Merely pointing out the direction to down town and giving simple instruction to reach there as the exchange of funds was completed, the boy was a bit sharper in appearance then the average seller.

While scoping out the building, the place was built like a small wooden fort manor. Fences on the sides of metal, windows built higher on a base of stone, with rows of smaller ones to let in light at all angles at lower floors. No entrance was visible to force entry, but the back doors looked open and welcoming. As both servants and others went through double doors carrying goods and providing services.

As for the paper...

Glancing the paper in any event would lead to the front liner of "Hark! The Herald!" paper, it's obvious one being that describing a recent rash of attacks, most involving young men and women at night, found dead mostly. Orifices sewn shut and done so well, they are horrendous to witness. Some escape and scream, tearing at the thread that binds them, but most die in the end due to disease.

It'd describe quite well how the eyes, lips, ears, and other areas were sewn so well and what must have been fast compared to any human. Occasionally arms, legs, and appendages to each would be bound as well.

Other noticeable stories reported on death at the mines, minor parties and wealthy doings, and the political background rabble found so well.

SkullKing84:
Harkstead, John, Down Town. The Dim Light.

"Ah a fellow man of music, I could tell with those big clubbing hands!" Obviously joking, Tegan briefly looked around to get his bearings.
Quickly leading John to a nearby Tavern he entered briskly as ever, to an empty bar save the tender who knew him as a regular.
Sitting down and motioning John to join him, he ordered for the two of them.

RaNDM G:
Donal - Down yonder-Prices Long-Mid-Town

The store was large and even attached to a ware house that seemed to have a connection to the river leading out to sea. A few smaller boats were bringing in crates and cargo, and the doors were always open.

As Donal unloaded his goods to the last hair on their chinny, chin, chins. He was Approached by a well dressed and orderly man, looking sleek and thin, his brown hair was oiled back.

"Andrew L. Price, welcome Sir. How can I assist you today? Perhaps in selling some of your fine furs." Making careful glances to appearance and goods, it was clear Andrew was shrewd and calculating, just from what Donal could see in his eyes.

Terratina.:

The porter was plain and simple in appearance, white and brown for skin and hair, with eyes to match. Simple and obviously from the country judging by his strength and actions.

"Will that be all miss? Either payment is fine." The receptionist asked politely, motioning with a hand she called forth another porter, a strong, blond, and fair-skinned fellow, looking a bit like a professional in lifting and moving things, at the same time bouncing those out the door on their heads.

John- Harkstead, Down Town. The Dim Light.

John and Tegan sat the tavern sharing stories of about life. John enjoyed being able to talk about the latest musicians and how the "classics" are still way better. Eventually the conversation turned to the underground fighting and few legit ones. The very few ears within the tavern all seem interested in his battles. John wasn't interested about talking about him self and wanted to know more about the first person he bumped into in Harkstead.

Donal - Prices Long

Raynoson:
"Andrew L. Price, welcome Sir. How can I assist you today? Perhaps in selling some of your fine furs."

"Well Sir, t'is no ordinary stock of fur. T'is the culmination of twenty years hard work in t'e Western wilderness."

Donal pries open a crate, filled with four smaller boxes. He puts one on a table and pries it open.

"You will see here t'is pelt is from a buck, no less than five hundred pounds in weight. And here is t'e horns from the same animal. I have pelts and antlers from forty deer, each shot, skinned, and carefully tanned by my good self. I have a stock of dried venison as well."

He pries open a large crate, roughly his size in width and three quarters his height.

"T'is beaver. I stopped counting around five hundred. There are t'ree other boxes of t'ese."

He lifts another crate and puts it on the table.

"Wolves. Eight pelts."

He opens another crate on the floor.

"Rabbits. You can make fine boots from t'ese."

He pries open another.

"More wolves."

He motions Price to another box in the back of the pile. Very long and very wide.

"T'is be what I'm really proud of. Grizzly. Monstrous animals, t'ey can chase a man for miles and kill him with one swipe of their claws. You only see t'em in Oregon. I have four furs."

He shows Price several smaller boxes. Hatchets and blades carved from bone and stone, blankets, wicker baskets, beads, jewelry, items from Crow, Cheyenne, Blackfoot, and others. Knives, flasks, pocket watches, and other worthless treasure bartered from trappers.

"So... Can we make an offer?"

SkullKing84:

"Me? What's there to say? I came here to the land of new freedoms and opportunity, putting my skills to use. Let me tell you friend, music soothes the savage soul, but here it barely fills my bowl. Maybe you care to team up with me, I'm sure a violinist and pianist can come up with something..."

Teagan was eager if a bit sad, obviously avoiding his own past and troubles from the tone of voice.

"Listen, I know a place that could use some music, and where you can get your hands to work, interested?"

RaNDM G:
Donal -(Wrong place) Prices Long

Simply going "Mhmm." Price began to examine some of the pieces and called forth an assistant or two to shift the boxes for ease of access and space.

"You've kept these well saved but time still has taken a toll on these, especially some of these older pelts. For the lot I'll give you enough for a decent lifetime in this city, and if you are wise, enough that would settle your income in good time. I know of one or two people who could use investors, it'd take a 3rd of these sold, but it'd get you a fair share in some of the shipping routes."

Prices voice was calm and assuring, his face best scene in games of dice and chance.

John's face lit up. Lifting Teagan up with one arm for a manly hug. Excitedly saying "Of course I'm interested!"

Like a child John asked a hundred questions in a few seconds. What, where, when, why and how. Until Teagan put his hands up in protest. John look over at his drink.

"Your right. After we finish.."

Donal - Prices Long

Raynoson:
Prices voice was calm and assuring, his face best scene in games of dice and chance.

"I would much rather sell and be done with it. How much is your offer?"

They seemingly had everything here, from richly engraved wooden furniture, cushions full of embroidery, polite staff and decent porters. It was like comparing a common country nag to a prize stallion. The country lad was endearing, but when it came to the job at hand, the blonde was simply the better option.

"Will that be all miss? Either payment is fine."

"Oui," She replied with a sudden rush of tiredness overcoming her, "That will be will, I will be staying for about four weeks, how much will that be?"

SkullKing84:

Coughing a bit awkwardly from the hug, Teagan looked almost to be turning redder, then again it could be just the drink.

"Right, mansion near here over past uptown, real fancy and real sweet. I've got to warn you they might like or frown at your size, but it's in a day or two and I'm sure we can get a tailor to fit you up. I know a guy that'll kill me if I didn't go to him."

Teagan spoke nervously and gained back his bravado in no time.

RaNDM G:
Donal - Prices Long

Raynoson:

"I would much rather sell and be done with it. How much is your offer?"

The price was fair and if compared to say modern currency, would be enough to get a manor, have parties, and afford most luxuries of a modest affair.

Terratina.:

They seemingly had everything here, from richly engraved wooden furniture, cushions full of embroidery, polite staff and decent porters. It was like comparing a common country nag to a prize stallion. The country lad was endearing, but when it came to the job at hand, the blonde was simply the better option.

"Will that be all miss? Either payment is fine."

"Oui," She replied with a sudden rush of tiredness overcoming her, "That will be will, I will be staying for about four weeks, how much will that be?"

"Dear how can you charge anything for this dear friend of mine!" An old almost school like voice rang as someone approached from the sided. Energetic and clear it was doubt the owner in a modest blue dress and a bit on the large side. Hair at her shoulder in a tail, skin a healthy tan, and eyes a delicate brown.

"It is good to see you my dear!" She hugged Lucrece quickly and parting rather forcibly to take her hands.

She Knew. It was plain and simple in her mind. Much of it was blocked and the mental control was strong in her. Angeline was her name, she was the owner, she meant no ill will, and wished to speak to her in her office.

"Send the porter up and give him a cup of tea, Shall we talk of new times Lucy" Her mind still read honest and truth, with obvious affection.

Donal - Prices Long

Raynoson:
The price was fair and if compared to say modern currency, would be enough to get a manor, have parties, and afford most luxuries of a modest affair.

"Sir... You just made one Hell of a deal! Put her t'ere!"

He shakes Price's hand with great enthusiasm.

"Now t'ere comes the question of payment. T'is amount, will it be paid upfront? Every week? Every mont'? How?"

Jacqueline - Uptown, Heading Downtown

The owner of The Lily had gone to great length to keep out thieves and miscreants. The mock mansion was built like a small fortress; metal fences surrounded the building, the windows that let light into the basement were covered by ornate grills, the windows for the guest rooms were built higher then normal and probably locked from the inside. It was highly improbable that a guest might leave it open for her saunter into, in her experience those that were rich wanted to stay rich. However there was one weakness, the back doors seemed open to anyone who were carrying trade goods, it would be simple to cobble together a disguise.

As she followed the paper boys direction down town she glanced over the newspaper. A spate of murders were afflicting the city, each one gruesome, the victims orifices were sewn shut leaving them helpless to wander the streets blind until they succumbed to their wounds. It described that the victims were for the most part, ladies of the night, strikingly similar to Jack the Rippers choice of quarry.

The paper mentioned a few other things, minor parties of the rich and other wealthy doings, but nothing major enough to catch her attention.

As she made her way towards the seedier parts of town, there was a noticeable shift in architecture. Buildings were made for practicability not grandeur. There was also a drop of presence from the Day Watch, happy enough to watch over the wealthy, but not the poor. No wonder there had been so many murders.

She kept her eyes open for a pub or inn, those would be the best places to find a fence, or find someone who knew where to find a fence.

Before the receptionist could announce the price, she was assaulted, some would say hugged, by a woman clearly of larger size and greeted with what seemed like genuine joy. Something was amiss, though, this plain woman made an all too eager grab for hand, was she trying to make sure that her memories were absorbed? Lucrece found this strange, no-one willingly had gifted her with their memories. Maybe in this foreign land this was simply the manner of greeting another? Lucrece had seen the confused faces of tourists watched as one Frenchman greeted another by two pecks on the cheeks. Whoever this was guarded their memories with thick walls, worse still, she knew of her gift. Lucrece decided that the best course of action was to play along with this women's game, good intentions or not. Sure, the paperboy had spoken of the owner's friendliness, but hadn't expected this.

"Angie! It has been too long!" She replied in the same tone and returned the hug, "Yes, we must speak of these things..."

The two men finished their drinks and John was ready to get "prettied up" for the gig.

RaNDM G:
Donal - Harkstead-Prices Long

"Of course, I have several plans that we can establish and I'm open to discussion." Quickly ushering Donal in to a nearby office space and giving him a seat. Reaching in to a cabinet the clinks of glass and swish of liquid was quite evident.

"Would you care for anything to drink before we discuss, Wine, Brandy, Whiskey? On me of course."

All the while preparing the drinks and back facing Donal, the office was cluttered and cramped but spacious and clear for the desk and immediate surroundings. Allowing access and plenty of room to maneuver well enough. Storage arrangements and such filled the walls, and the desk was completely clear oddly enough. It gave the impression of being made to work, as the windows let in enough light and were easily opened, excluding the metal bars. Brown predominately, it matched the warehouse just to a slightly higher level.

MortifiedPenguin:
Jacqueline -Downtown

A few places arose and most looked worst for wear, some clearly establishments of ill virtue and respect, others simply smarmy with smell and such alike. Choosing from the best, of the worse, two became clear.
"The Trotters Twine." Nodding perhaps to butchers with their gristly work, the sign painted on rough wood and attached to bricks showed a pigs head, and green vines. Surprisingly fresh, clean, and vivid it called to attention all who saw it.

The other bore no name but was clearly an inn/tavern. Multiple windows and similar in appearance to any other building, its size and frequent arrivals/departures made it clear the intent and purpose. The smell and sound of drink and merriment, in combination with the fact that bags and cases accompanied others.

Terratina.:

Leading her to an office up a small flight of stairs, it was white, pristine, and noticeably reinforced. The door to enter faced the desk, and it held little to be seen asides from paper, ink, a candle or two freshly placed, matches, and other small tools/aids. Two chairs facing were upholstered nicely and looking quite comfortable, and strong, the third behind the desk much the same but with an impression and worn down look of someone who spent much time in it.

The windows were circular and let in plenty of light, the shutters designed to fit in grooves of the wall giving the impression of a wings in flight. Metal bars were clear by barely clashed. Two large cabinets were present, one next to the door, the other behind the desk. Both looked, brown, plain, and somewhat imposing. The only difference between the two was that the one behind the desk had open glass to display drinks.

A small rope hung behind the desk and led to the roof, giving it a sharp tug, she turned and motioned for Lucrece to take a seat, the door closing to a sliver as Angie pressed something from behind the desk. Stepping on to the floors, the sound it made resonated with something harder and muffled. As for the door itself, it was definitely thicker and the hinges reinforced.

"Pardon for the rush of things, but I could feel someone vital was coming." Her tone still kind and welcoming assumed more of a business flare.
"I've ordered tea, but would you care for anything stronger? I have wine and the usual assortment, but I do dabble in a little brewing myself."

Smiling in a warm way as she place one hand on her chair and the other on the desk facing Lucrece.
"I'm sure you have many questions, and I hope just as many answers for me once we get down to things... Oh! Pardon my manners, but I am Angeline Barton of Angels' Rest, you need not tell me your name if you wish, I'll simply call you Lucy or whatever you'd prefer."

Oddly accommodating as it was, Angie showed no visible sign of distress, and even walking to the office towing Lucrece along did she detect anything other than what was intended.

SkullKing84:
John- Harkstead, Down Town. On route Tommy's Residence and Workshop

"Excellent! Timothy will just love paying back a favor he owes me, one of many in a long, long, list." Chuckling at an inside joke, the journey began.

Leading the way at a brisk pace and chatting Donal of the goings and comings of Harkstead, mystery murders, fancy parties, and riches from shipping. How the mines were doing and their condition wasn't as bad as people think (speaking from experience), and how those deaths must have been from accidents. He touched upon a little of everything, and was open to elaborate further as they moved.

Donal - Prices Long

Raynoson:
"Would you care for anything to drink before we discuss, Wine, Brandy, Whiskey? On me of course."

"I don't drink dealing wit' money matters, but t'ank ye all t'e same."

Donal feels uncomfortable in the office, almost as if he were trapped in a cage. He casts a glance out the window and tries to take his mind off his surroundings.

"Like I said, t'e sooner we get t'is over wit', t'e better. I'm a hunter, but I'm not very patient wit' people. Understand?"

"Murders? Anything unusual?"

SkullKing84:

Going in to a rather descriptive tirade of how something or someone was going around sewing people up, their eye lids, lips, ears, and other parts closed or together. Sometimes leaving them alive like that all sewn up and in pain. Done so fast and quickly people rarely hear screams, a few manage to escape, and those that do usually die in some way.

RaNDM G:
Donal, Prices Long, Harkstead

"Very well." Taking a seat behind the desk,
"We can do this in quite a few ways, a direct payment in jewels and gold and other fine items that you can carry and sell at your own personal leisure. We can organize your new found fortune via the bank and their tellers within the city, while I could give you the funds directly as well, it'd take a bit to amass it all at a moments notice like this."

Tapping his finger on the desk in thought briefly, "I can also recommend you to someone who assists in management of accounts and further details for those who have amassed such wealth, he can even set you up with your own personal steward. Very reliable and recommend by the families here, and others."

Donal - Prices Long

"I would rat'er sit on my stock t'en let some bank teller handle my money. You can pay a sum now, t'en more as my wares are sold. Is t'at acceptable?"

She was led into well furnished room, well everywhere in this hotel was well furnished but this room screamed cosy. The chairs looked like they were waiting for someone to just fall into and relax and as soon as the woman motioned for her to take a seat, tired Lucrece wasted no time sitting herself in the chair opposite from Angeline, grateful to get a bit of respite. From the reinforced door, she assumed that this was a particularly private room. The more business-like tone of the woman indicated that things were about to get serious, far from the act of an old friend downstairs.

"I'm sure you have many questions, and I hope just as many answers for me once we get down to things... Oh! Pardon my manners, but I am Angeline Barton of Angels' Rest, you need not tell me your name if you wish, I'll simply call you Lucy or whatever you'd prefer."

"Lucrece Leblance." Lucrece replied, giving her full name. This woman was apparently trustworthy and Lucrece didn't see any reason to doubt that, "Oui, let's... Tea will be just fine, thank you."

Tired or not, Lucrece was ready for this little tete-a-tete.

Jacqueline - Downtown

She kept an eye open for taverns or gathering places oh her way downtown, some looked gaudy some looked like they would collapse inwards if one brick was knocked out of place. After a while, Jacqueline arrived at a proverbial crossroads. two taverns had attracted her attention one clean and decent looking seemingly out of place in the slum, the other dirty and bawdy, fitting right into it's surroundings.

From the bawdy one came sounds of laughter and debauchery and had an extremely casual air about it. No doubt the place the would attract those of ill repute, but it was no place to do business.

The other looked almost empty, she could hear no sounds emanating from it nor were people entering or leaving. A lone sign was nailed above the doorway, "The Trotters Twine" the image that accompanied it was grisly, a pigs head and green vine, it was as clean and fresh looking as the rest of the domicile. If she had no success in there then she could always look for a fence in the nameless tavern.

RaNDM G:
Donal - Prices Long

Grinning, he opened his desk and pulled out a brown envelope, briefly flicking through it and grabbing a few odd papers as well. His hands were skilled and his layout of his office was well known to him as he moved smooth as a snake.
Handing it over towards Donal,
"Within you will find paper work and other aids whenever you wish to visit and discuss monetary gains from sold goods. As well as an initial payment well over 90 dollars, an invitation to an upcoming party hosted by a more influential member of this city, and a map along with a recommendation of places you can stay. The Lily in uptown I'd recommend, if you show your invitation they'll give you room and board for a week."
Bringing out two more pieces of paper and getting out a pen/ink. "To make this official." He said simply and welcoming like to a new found friend. The papers were simply copies showing a business agreement between Donal and Prices, "An estimate and account for all goods total will be made on our end and sent to you to ensure your fair share."

All that was needed was Signatures.

Terratina.:

"Wonderful, Lucrece I'll be Frank with you. You have entered Harkstead during a turning, those like you or I with... Gifts. Are becoming more frequent, I can tell, I sense them and can tell little of what they do." Honest to a fault was her tone as she spoke, pausing briefly as a young woman entered tea and a tray loaded with baked delights of sweet, buttery, or rich appearance.

Appearently a common thing, the woman modest and meek set the tray on the desk and left just as fast as she arrived.

"A darling thing." As the door closed with a soft muted click. Pouring the tea and setting it aside, adding sugar for herself, she continued.
"I didn't know as much first but now that I do, I plan on helping all who enter my door. Consider me like priest one can confess to, you need not reveal anything, or simply just ask for help. For better or worse I am an open book, if you wish you can use your power as well to see if I'm being truthful."

Sipping her tea she awaited Lucrece nd her reply or questions.

MortifiedPenguin:
Jacqueline - Downtown

Entering the establishment it looked to be a simple bar and stairs affair. Tables and a fire place filled most of the first floor, and stairs to the side seemed to lead to the rooms. At the bar counter, it looked like an odd mixture of a place to drink, eat,and manage your accounts judging by the caged section you'd expect in a bank for booth.

The place had an overall clean feel, maybe even warding off the filth outside, the only occupants were a man at the bar. Short enough to feel insulted, yet tall enough that he couldn't be called a midget. Fair skinned and black hair short and neat, his eyes were a dark green almost, white shirt with sleeves rolled, and black pants stained with a few drops of drinks (assumed), his face was shaped nicely as he smiled toward Jacq.

A woman attractive in a sense, wearing a drab gray dress with white detailing, brown hair fine like silk yet kept in such a state that it'd be easy to imagine a bird nesting in it. An odd leaf or twig or thread was in it, but didn't mar her face with an almost doll like quality, eyes blue like sapphires for the world to see. Judging by the dirt and grime, it was like she was trying to look unattractive as possible, but Jacqueline's eyes felt drawn if she wasn't paying attention.

Finally a man, who looked like he should be hammering away at things, like a conductor. Looking at Jacqueline, surrounded by a ring of mugs, he didn't appear drunk but clearly didn't know who she was remotely. Muttering about missing the train his voice echoed, he slumped back down to the table, making glasses clink.

The man at the bars next, "Welcome, welcome! Rare to see someone new in Twine, my sister didn't snatch you up as well! Come sit at the bar and order something!" A bit odd but sincere, the man didn't sound desperate, but happy that someone came to alleviate the boredom.

"Dreadful business. How about something... more... cheerful. The job, is for some fancy manor? or parties ...or something?"

Donal - Prices Long

Raynoson:
The papers were simply copies showing a business agreement between Donal and Prices, "An estimate and account for all goods total will be made on our end and sent to you to ensure your fair share."

All that was needed was Signatures.

Donal takes an eyeglass from his pocket and looks over the draft, making sure each section is to his liking before signing it.

SkullKing84:

"We're gonna be working some funny eggs." Sheepish like noticing there is a wolf in its best friends clothing.
"The Harper family of Gregory and Jasmine own a large part of the mining efforts and shipping, they tend to hire good people and rarely just for one thing." Something was being hidden, anyone could tell just from the tone.
"You're on the big side, and with your past they'll love you in case things get rowdy, but they'll be really taken by your music if your good as you say. As for me, I'm good at finding folk and have worked with them long enough."

RaNDM G:
Donal - Prices Long

(The statement as you look over with aid of your skill is nothing more then what I said before. Like a game of spot the difference you can easily look for key things that are wrong, and have done so automatically.)

Donal - Prices Long

"Well, everyt'ing looks fine. All t'at's left now is to sign it."

He puts his looking glass back in his pocket and leans back in the chair. He drums his fingers on the desk, thinking over the deal.

He picks up the quill and signs the ledger.

"T'at's it t'en. Pleasure doing business wit' you, Mister Price."

He shakes Price's hand.

John- Harkstead, Outside of Tommy's Residence and Workshop

With a sigh "First step to good fortune to us friend. To an unbound future and granted wishes"

Jacqueline -The Trotters Twine

If the outside of the building could be describe as clean, then the inside was sparkling. It almost felt as though some unknown power was keeping dirt from entering the establishment, the tables were clean, the chairs were neatly tucked under them and a small fire was crackling in the fireplace.

"Welcome, welcome! Rare to see someone new in Twine, my sister didn't snatch you up as well! Come sit at the bar and order something!"

It was an odd thing to say to a newcomer, was his sister the woman with the grime covered face and mottled hair that reminded Jacqueline of a birds nest. It was true that every time so glanced away, her eyes were attracted back to her, but Jacqueline just thought it was the oddness of her appearance that brought her eyes back to her.

She settled down at the bar, noting how immutable the counter was.

"That's surprising, you keep this place...Very clean. I'll have half a bitter."Small talk not being her strong suit she decided to quickly change the subject, "Actually, I was looking for a room."

Angelina confessed all and sought to be confessed in turn, it seemed.

"...I didn't know as much first but now that I do, I plan on helping all who enter my door. Consider me like priest one can confess to, you need not reveal anything, or simply just ask for help. For better or worse I am an open book, if you wish you can use your power as well to see if I'm being truthful."

So she could sense people with peculiar powers like her, that explained it. Whoever this Angelina was, she clearly wasn't one of the more self-serving types in the world. She was opening herself to a complete strangers. Why? All she had to gain was secrets and the satisfaction of helping a stranger. Such a person could be used and Angelina was willing to be used. Lucrece sipped on her tea as she thought of queries and questions or whether even to humour this woman more at all. For all she knew, Angelina was just waiting for a tasty titbit to be thrown to her, so she could run off with it to whoever wanted it. Even priests gossiped and broke the so-called sacred confidentially between confessor and cleric.

"Why do you wish to help me?" Lucrece said, defensively.

RaNDM G:

Donal - Prices Long

Shaking hands enthusiastically and welcoming, Price simply inquired, "Will you be needing anything else today?"

SkullKing84:
John- Harkstead, Outside of Tommy's Residence and Workshop

"Nice, we're here anyway." Tommy's pace as it turned out involved a back alley entrance to a Talor shop. Modest and "Clean" as you'd expect any alley to be, Teagan knocked on the door politely and quickly. Opened with the scream of

"What is i-!? Oh, you."
Obviously not on friendly terms, his eyes were slits. Tommy with rolled sleeves, neat brown pants and matching shoes, had needles and threads sticking out of him like a rag doll. His face a bit gaunt and his hair non-existent, he was white and looked to have seen some cold weather judging by the color.

Glancing up at the figure behind Teagan, he looked at John and his eyes burst open.

"If those dammned Harp-!" Teagan quickly raised a hand waving them to make him stop.

"No, no, no, we're here for a suit, to see the Harper family in, something that can you know, show he's refined, he plays the piano." Fast and short Teagan gave his report.

"John this is Tommy, Tommy this is John."

MortifiedPenguin:

Pouring the drink easily and handing it over, "A room, plenty to be had, plenty to be had."
If Jacqueline bothered to taste the brew, it would definitely be better then anything she had had the chance to spew.
"Let's get down to business, unless you'd like a bite or something. We've got a little bit of everything, though I recommend a bit of chowder in the cold times to come."

Mr.H at the table meanwhile got up and left cash on the table, stumbling upstairs in a bit of a stupor.

Jacqueline could practically feel eyes boring in to the back of her skull from the woman.

Terratina.:

"Truth be told, that is something I can explain quite well." Taking a sip her voice sounded well rehearsed with the subject, no doubt from previous encounters.

"In my family there is a bit of a legend or myth, 'Beware Twins thy sire, for one shall be truth the other liar'. My brother and I were born on the same day, on our mothers birthday and day of her death." Looking sad, her tone dimming from the happiness before.

"My father distraught was left to care for two children, as we grew he grieved, and only thanks to our uncle and aunt did we manage to have a decent life. As soon as we were old enough to truly think for ourselves and speak, our father decided to test the tale from my mothers side."

"We were young, and what we inherited was stronger then. He quickly found out and sent away the liar, believing an honest daughter to be better then a lying son. To his sorrow and later his despair, I drove him insane and by his own hands, his death." Her voice was a bit distant and her eyes glazed before kindling with a fire.

"My uncle and aunt were on my fathers side, while my mothers side were distant. They thought me a devil after I explained to them what happened, so I fled. I took a vow of silence, and often had to bite my tongue just to keep silent on matters. It took a series of rather horrid events, and later finding my brother again to realize that there are others out there who experience the same or similar. I took it upon myself to help them that enter my doors, and I hope later to establish something much grander."

Holding her hand flat on the desk and offering it to Lucrece, "Look in to my mind if you do not believe me, we can lie to others, but we can't lie to ourselves."

Donal - Prices Long

Raynoson:
Shaking hands enthusiastically and welcoming, Price simply inquired, "Will you be needing anything else today?"

"Some new clothes perhaps. I don't expect to make friends wearing buckskin."

John- Harkstead, In Tommy's Residence and Workshop

"Hello."

John shyly waved his big meaty hand as he realized the alley door was a tad small for a lug like him. While ducking a little to get in through the door; John had to turn a bit sideways. The door and workshop made him look twice the size he really was. He smiled is crooked chipped teeth smile when he was close enough to put his hand out for a friendly handshake.

As he spoke Jacqueline could feel the eyes of the other woman on her back, it felt as though she was boring her way into her soul with just that stare. Every inch of her wanted to vanish to become invisible, she had to resist the urge to use her power as she sat there drinking the ale. It would do her no good if she did, there would be questions and then someone would find out and then she would be sent back London, back to her father.

"Do you-"

As she turned around she saw the other man leaving, she recognised him now since he was closer. When she first entered, she had merely been interested in what was in the inn, not who was in it. It was the man from the train who had killed all those people, 'Mr. Hammer' as she had dubbed him. He was no longer wielding that hammer, and it seemed like he didn't recognise. just to be safe she quickly turned around, ducking further into her battered bowler hat.

Once she was sure he had left, she turned back towards the woman who was still giving her that awful glare.

"Could you stop staring at me?"

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked