The Last Rose of May. (Referencing material)(Closed, Started).

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

The stroy: Six great empires once stood tall and ruled over all the known world of Iben. They flourished with their grand steam driven economies. Air barges hauled their loads to the cities carved into the mountains and the air fleets guarded the skies from the only know threat, sky pirates. Steam tractors tilled the open lands below to feed the populaces of each nation. A golden age of steam began with the advent of the "Steam Men", mechanical servitors gifted to man by the gods. All know these machines are guided by spirits and to anger them is ill advised, when they complete a task thank them as they are happy to serve. They could preform a myriad of household chores and other tasks but heavy manuel labour was beyond their intended design and to tamper with the schematics and bind a spirit to a new machine body which say could mine ore would corrupt it and sent it to insanity. (Probably killing everyone in the room). It is a crime to tamper with "Heaven Schematics" and should you survive and are caught you will be executed. It is perfectly legal to build your own servitor by the schematics and bring it to your local "Forge" to have a spirit bound to it for a cost.

The golden age was bound together by the "Rose Wheel" a six piece set of rose tinted glass formed to the shape of a cog wheel adorned with the symbol of each nation for their own elemental affinity. (Earth, wind, fire, water, light and metal). These pieces were not gifted to man as a set, from what is understood, far into the past the "Rose Wheel" fell from heaven to earth due to an unknown calamity. It shattered into the six pieces when it landed on the peak called "Maritikaa" and cast itself into six different directions. Over many thousands of years the pieces were discovered. The ones to do so went on to found the great empires of the known world. When the last piece was found and the empire in league with the others did the gods gift man with the "Steam Men" and herald the golden age.

The age lasted over half a millennia. Arts, technology, magic and culture flourished. And the peace held.

What is told by the story is that the gate between the underworld and the realm of Iben was assaulted by the Dark forces of Khazhanbraagh the Defiler. The peace and order of Iben needed to be balanced so he preformed his duty to bring chaos. The Gods, protective of the seeds they'd sown and obnoxious of their power went to hold the gate and a titanic battle was fought. On the 3rd day Khazhanbraagh grew uneasy that he would be able to break through the gate and be able to rebalance the world, in not doing so would destroy the fabric of darkness forever. So he himself walked to the battlefield with a mighty hammer to bash the gates open. When the gods were informed he came to give the final blow they rushed to take the field themselves. When they arrived The Defiler was already upon the gates, they crumpled at the blows. And the gods charged to drive him back. His plan was no not break through though, but let his daughter slip past as the gate baulked and he served as a distraction. The gods drove The defiler back and he and his forces retreated, his own blood to complete the deed in his stead.

This daughter of evil, Kith, corrupted a lord of the fire affinity Empire of Ashhelm. This lord whos name is not known and subsequently has been called the betrayer murdered the king and all the other lords of Ashhelm. He took the kings piece of the "Rose Wheel" from his neck and brought it to Kith. She crushed it in her hand and along with it the Empire of Ashhelm. With this act she had pushed the first domino over. The country descended into chaos and burned for 30 years. A republic burst from the ashes, Glorinst. This new nation grew itself around a dark gift granted to it by Kith's father, the internal combustion engine. The peoples built up it's nation from the ruins into a military superpower and as such struck out against one empire after another. Soon after the swift fall of two other nations did the rest band together to fight against the aggressive republic. The war bogged down inside the boarders of Uleth, Thund - Akrieg Empires. Hipereon is now the last free nation standing, but is under terror bombings.

Chaos threatens to overtake the known world. Heroes must answer heavens call. May the balance be righted.

Opening story: Peace still holds in Lightwatch. The streets still bustle with business but the constant talk is of the war. Many refugees from the neighboring nations have taken up refuge in the city. The lowest districts are close to bursting with these lost souls, dissent is ripe for Chaos to reap.

Moving on now from the story.

This is a swirling pot of steampunk, religion and magic with light and dark vying for power and fought in a mix between medieval, classical, WW1 ground and naval warfare and WW2 air warfare. Air warfare rages in the sky between Airships armed with cannon and crew and steam fighters armed with bladed wings and a tail sniper or magician against similarly armed fighter planes and bombers.

Naval warfare is just like WW1 the only difference here is one side is powered by coal and steam and the other by diesel engines and oil.

Ground warfare is by far the most variable. Though theres vehicles, mechanized warfare has not been invented yet with the exception of the Barro-cycle and Castor War Bike, which is used akin to cavalry. The common foot soldiers though are armed with swords, lances, axes, bows, flintlock pistols and early muskets. They fight everywhere from open plains gridded with trenches to urban combat.

All areas often have magicians and healers. There are 3 types of magic: Light, Dark, and Elemental. The first two are opposites but work in the same ways, mainly hurling a bolt of their respective energies at a foe. They are also controlled by faith, those who worship the gods may use light and healing spells. And those who let the darkness into them may use dark magics at a price. Light magic does have a subset of healing, but those who can use it are unable to attack with light magic. Elemental magic is just that, the elements. Tossing fireballs, lightning, and ice to the target.
All magic is used with spell tomms, which need to be read and the spell said aloud to work. An interruption will cause the spell to fail, backfire or worse.
Do note though you can have dark magics and still be on the side of 'good'. You'd have a thirst for knowledge not power.
Magical strength is scaled: E,D,C,B,A,S,SS classes. If you chose to be a magician the highest I'll allow is a C at the start. I'll be adding in spells and such latter.
It is also limited in how many spells you can cast by fatigue. You draw on your own physical endurance for spells.

To be noted: It seems a conflicting mash of timelines, but think of it not as that. Think of it as things were invented as they are along one linear line. Makes things much simpler.

Have you a want to further educate yourself on the workings of the world I am in the process of building do not hesitate to ask.

Im interested but sort of busy right now. I'll take a closer look tomorrow.

I'm quite interested as well. Could you further explain the air combat? I'm thinking of submiting one of those tail snipers but I'd like to know more.

Colour me interested. One question though, is there any chance of being able to use metallic cartridge black powder weapons? (ie repeater rifles and such)

TheBlueShotgun0:
I'm quite interested as well. Could you further explain the air combat? I'm thinking of submiting one of those tail snipers but I'd like to know more.

Well Airships work like flying ships, bombing and shelling enemies on the ground, but are rather ineffective against other targets in the air.

Fighter planes are for recon and dogfighting, they're single engine and prop driven. Since weaponry hasn't advanced past muzzle and breach loaded guns it wouldn't be feasible to put a cannon on a plane. So for fighters, instead of chasing each other with guns, they're literally ramming and charging each other (Not quite head on). The planes are highly reinforced and the wings front edge are bladed. Some fighters are two seaters with a tail sniper or a magician (Though very rare). SO a tail sniper is a highly trained marksman whos given the best gun available whos job it is to kill an enemy pilot attempting to ram the plane from behind, or disable the plane in another way.

The entire point for these fighters is to protect, depending on side, either airships or bombers. The bombers are the main threat to an airship, with a low rate of fire and high speed and maneuverability of the enemy they can't adequately defend themselves. And the bombers need protection from fighters which are even faster / maneuverable. This is why both sides field fighters, something needs protection and it's the fighters job to do it.

So for you, you sit in the back of a plane, typically wait until someone is on your pilots arse, and attempt to kill or disable the enemy before he gets you. This would certainly keep you away from everyone but even on the ground you'd be a deadly foe. You can still be one if you'd want, but don't expect to be up up and away for much.

Athol:
Colour me interested. One question though, is there any chance of being able to use metallic cartridge black powder weapons? (ie repeater rifles and such)

Flintlock pistols and muskets only. Shells have only been developed for naval and air artillery. It just hasn't been miniaturized for self weaponry. Some muskets could have a rifled barrel instead of a smoothbore and use a miniball. Which is a bullet shaped piece of lead. But would still be muzzle loaded. So I've decided.

Tiger Sora:
-snip-

Okay cool, just figured I'd ask. I'll put together a sheet and have it up in a while.

My apologies if the Bio seemed a bit rushed. It isn't my best work, but I'll work on it again tomorrow. Let me know if anything needs changing.

pyroguy86:
Snip

The Uleth Empire has only recently come under partial occupation by the republic. Which would lead to be assumed just a year or so. So the first bit of your bio doesn't work and will need to be re-writen. I've only named 4 of the 6 countries but will be making a post about them soon.

Also you say you can match some of the best Sky Pirate captains in swordsmanship. Your twenty years old. Sky Pirates are just like sea pirates, with the exception of the one noticeable difference. A Captain is voted to be by the crew, they'd be unlikely to be young and will probably be the most experienced of the ship (Probably decades of piracy under his belt). And while they're not very disciplined they'd surely be quite skilled in fighting. Unlikely could a 20 year old with little real experience be able to best these veterans. Now this is just all for baulk, not that you ever have fought a captain. But your in no way a master at that age.

Also my last post to Theblue, I talked about air combat. "The entire point for these fighters is to protect, depending on side, either airships or bombers". The republic has no airships of their own.

Spelling mistakes and some grammar aside fix and adjust to these and I'll see you at the final weigh in.

Tiger Sora:

pyroguy86:
Snip

The Uleth Empire has only recently come under partial occupation by the republic. Which would lead to be assumed just a year or so. So the first bit of your bio doesn't work and will need to be re-writen. I've only named 4 of the 6 countries but will be making a post about them soon.

Also you say you can match some of the best Sky Pirate captains in swordsmanship. Your twenty years old. Sky Pirates are just like sea pirates, with the exception of the one noticeable difference. A Captain is voted to be by the crew, they'd be unlikely to be young and will probably be the most experienced of the ship (Probably decades of piracy under his belt). And while they're not very disciplined they'd surely be quite skilled in fighting. Unlikely could a 20 year old with little real experience be able to best these veterans. Now this is just all for baulk, not that you ever have fought a captain. But your in no way a master at that age.

Also my last post to Theblue, I talked about air combat. "The entire point for these fighters is to protect, depending on side, either airships or bombers". The republic has no airships of their own.

Spelling mistakes and some grammar aside fix and adjust to these and I'll see you at the final weigh in.

I have to jump in here with the darn pirate problems, because I bloody love pirates.

Age does matter, but if you've trained with a sword properly, experience won't be as effective as a good tutor. That said, a good education with no experience is as useful as a piece of thin string, but he has both.

Being voted into a captain is a popular vote - The most experienced pirates don't get elected - The person with the biggest balls get elected. Captain is a fucking hard job, and a pirate ship can change its captain rather frequently if the crew isn't satisfied with the captain's abilities. You shouldn't disrespect younglings, they have the stamina and ambition to get to places.

This looks interesting. I will post a sheet once I have some more time. Also just so you know, I am Dutch and got dyslexia.
I am thinking about making a courier who is driving one of those bike's.

How about playing a steam-man? Or a steam-"cyborg" ?

SkullKing84:
How about playing a steam-man? Or a steam-"cyborg" ?

No. Technology isn't that advanced.

Athol:
Snip

Rejected. For two reasons. One Ashhelm no longer exists. It was the first empire to be shattered. Glorinst is now the ruling county of their former land and unless you're going to be a Sky Pirate, (Who can be from any nation). You need to be one of the 3 nations in the character sheet.

Hmmmmm, how about a normal ground sniper, fighting in the trenches. Yes that sounds fun, let's make a sheet.

EDIT! but gonna repost anyways.

Do you have a list of which empire has what element? Ashhelm is fire, so which one is Hipereon or Uleth etc.

edit: Also, is it ok to have a multinational charcter?

Okay, this sounds really awesome and I like steam punk, but I am absolutely perplexed as to what the chuffing hell we will be doing and what the side are.

So the Republic are bad guys lead by the daughter of the devil and they are more Diesel Punk, the empire is the good guys and they are more steam punk. I think there are other countries too but I'm not sure how they fit in or who they are.

We can choose to be on either side, or we can be a mercenary, and we will play out the war.

That is all I have straight in my head. Could you help clear up the rest for me?

P.S. I don't mean the magic and tech, I understand that, just the nations and stuff

Viking Incognito:
Okay, this sounds really awesome and I like steam punk, but I am absolutely perplexed as to what the chuffing hell we will be doing and what the side are.

So the Republic are bad guys lead by the daughter of the devil and they are more Diesel Punk, the empire is the good guys and they are more steam punk. I think there are other countries too but I'm not sure how they fit in or who they are.

We can choose to be on either side, or we can be a mercenary, and we will play out the war.

That is all I have straight in my head. Could you help clear up the rest for me?

P.S. I don't mean the magic and tech, I understand that, just the nations and stuff

The republic of Glorinst is indeed the enemy and are Diesel Punk as you called them. (I didn't think of a name for it but that works). The remaining 3 empire nations which I've named use steam.

As I've said in a latter post to clear it up you can only be of the 3 remaining empire nations, unless your a Sky Pirate, than I'll allow you to of come from anywhere. But you'll be a mercenary working for Hipereon.

The other two unnamed nations have fallen to the republic, and I've yet to write up the history of them. But for the time being the importance of them isn't high on the list.

Now as for the overall plot, I'm not just going to tell you what my plans are. Wheres the fun in that. I figured it'd be rather obvious that it was what remains of the empire nations vs. the republic. Development as I plan it.

thebinaryone:
Do you have a list of which empire has what element? Ashhelm is fire, so which one is Hipereon or Uleth etc.

edit: Also, is it ok to have a multinational charcter?

I'll be doling that out in the Nations history and fluff spoiler once I've written it up. Hipereon's is light.

As I've said in a latter post to clear it up you can only be of the 3 remaining empire nations, unless your a Sky Pirate, than I'll allow you to of come from anywhere. But you'll be a mercenary working for Hipereon.

Tiger Sora:

Viking Incognito:

The republic of Glorinst is indeed the enemy and are Diesel Punk as you called them. (I didn't think of a name for it but that works). The remaining 3 empire nations which I've named use steam.

The other two unnamed nations have fallen to the republic, and I've yet to write up the history of them. But for the time being the importance of them isn't high on the list.

Now as for the overall plot, I'm not just going to tell you what my plans are. Wheres the fun in that. I figured it'd be rather obvious that it was what remains of the empire nations vs. the republic. Development as I plan it.

Thank you very much. Also, Diesel Punk isn't something I made up, it is one of the may different "X punk" genres like cyber and steam punk.

There it is. I know it probably needs a bit of work, but what do you think so far?

Tiger Sora:
snip

Well fair 'nuff, I was going for someone who'd fled Ashhlem during it's demise and now wants to fight to restore it, but I understand what your saying and I will rewrite and resubmit.

Tiger Sora:
snip

So, umm, anything to say on my character? I'd like a little feedback, your thoughts on him, anything you'd like me to fix, etc, etc.

TheBlueShotgun0:

Tiger Sora:
snip

So, umm, anything to say on my character? I'd like a little feedback, your thoughts on him, anything you'd like me to fix, etc, etc.

I see nothing wrong. Appearance is abit lacking in detail. Everything else is fine. Await judgement day.

Tiger Sora:
snip

Do you like my sheet?

Viking Incognito:

Tiger Sora:
snip

Do you like my sheet?

I can't say anything of it needs correction. I would like you to explain how your thermite grenades work though. (I did look up the processes). But amuse me and set a precedent (Provided I agree).

Tiger Sora:

Viking Incognito:

Tiger Sora:
snip

Do you like my sheet?

I can't say anything of it needs correction. I would like you to explain how your thermite grenades work though. (I did look up the processes). But amuse me and set a precedent (Provided I agree).

I don't know how they work but I saw onetime on the history channel that they were used in WW1 to immobilize or otherwise take care of tanks.

Rough version... planing on smoothing it out later

This definitly seems like a good idea, but do you think I could maybe get a very rough time-line? Nothing super serious, just something vague about how long the war has been going on/when each kingdom fell/and so on. I'm just wondering if we're talking months, years or decades.

Viking Incognito:
Yo'

Hey there, Viking. What would you think of me writing up one of your crew? Maybe even a sort of vessel/servant from his childhood?

Fishtie:
This definitly seems like a good idea, but do you think I could maybe get a very rough time-line? Nothing super serious, just something vague about how long the war has been going on/when each kingdom fell/and so on. I'm just wondering if we're talking months, years or decades.

Viking Incognito:
Yo'

Hey there, Viking. What would you think of me writing up one of your crew? Maybe even a sort of vessel/servant from his childhood?

Hmmmm...I'm more than happy to let you be a member of the Scorchers, but I'm not sure about childhood servant. Maybe one of the lower class boys he hung out with?

Registering interest, character should be up in a day or so.

Interested, give me a day for the character.

a few questions before I decide on the character
- deviating from the "Heaven Schematics" causes steam entities to go insane; Myth or Fact? 'Spose it doesn't matter, I can use what information you've put there.
- The republic is chaos incarnate? yes or no (and if yes, is there a bit of subtext there ;P?)
- ... I dunno, I kind of want a feeling of the different cultures, I mean we have 4 empires, the republic (right? three of them are at war aren't they or are they occupied?) and the sky pirates. Are you cool if we make some stuff up or do you have an idea as to the sort of culture that they have?
- Do elementalists have a specific affinity, and if so is is based on their empire or are they able to use all of the elements.

Ok this looks pretty cool. I've finished my assignments and tests. LONG LIVE THE HOLIDAYS!

Ok, It's been edited. Will be playing with how to put an image into the post.

Sargent Hoofbeat:
Interested, give me a day for the character.

a few questions before I decide on the character
- deviating from the "Heaven Schematics" causes steam entities to go insane; Myth or Fact? 'Spose it doesn't matter, I can use what information you've put there.
- The republic is chaos incarnate? yes or no (and if yes, is there a bit of subtext there ;P?)
- ... I dunno, I kind of want a feeling of the different cultures, I mean we have 4 empires, the republic (right? three of them are at war aren't they or are they occupied?) and the sky pirates. Are you cool if we make some stuff up or do you have an idea as to the sort of culture that they have?
- Do elementalists have a specific affinity, and if so is is based on their empire or are they able to use all of the elements.

From what I've gathered the continent is like a hexagon. 3 sections are taken over by the evil republic. Uleth and Thund - Akrieg are being hit in their borders while Hipereon is inbetween the two and untouched as of yet except for terror bombings.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked