D.I.C.E(Game Thread/PM to Join)

Pages PREV 1 . . . 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 . . . 39 NEXT

The door was shut behind him, and Richard headed for the chair. He sat down, trying to keep his cool. He then tidied his hair, before breathing carefully in and out a few times. "Hello, I'm Richard Johnson," he said, sounding smaller than he meant to. For some reason, he felt like looking away from the masked man and his companions, and barely managed to keep his eyes trained on them. Who was the man in the mask actually? The leader of DICE? "You wanted to see me?" Richard asked.

"Spellcasters have been fighting alongside the beasts of nature sense the first demons walked the earth. My father was one of these spellcasters. A demonic wizard that would often call on animals to do his bidding as well as demons. He used my mother as his companion in many a battle. But soon, he began to fall in love with her. Later in his years, he took the form of a bear. And lo, did he fornicate with his companion many a night. Until their loins produced that which you see before you"
"Talking about your parents mating habits is... awkward." Kain rubbed the back of his head when Richard walked in, and the door shut.
"So, I assume you want me to move, as I can easily hear through this door?"

"Talking about your parents mating habits is... awkward." Kain rubbed the back of his head when Richard walked in, and the door shut.

"The bashfulness of you humans has always perplexed me. Nevertheless, I shall try to avoid subjects that may be deemed too sensitive.

"So, I assume you want me to move, as I can easily hear through this door?"

"That may be for the best. Come. We shall go elsewhere until the task is done"

"Hello, I'm Richard Johnson. You wanted to see me?"

The man in the mask shuffled some papers around on the desk while the man directly to his left spoke. He was German by the sound of his voice.

"Good morning Mr. Johnson. You are here because, as you know, the head of your division will soon be departing. Therefore, we need someone to fill his place. You've come very highly recommended by the head of Division Zero. Tell me Mister Johnson. What exactly has been your experience in demon matters in your lifetime? Just as a review"

"Good morning Mr. Johnson. You are here because, as you know, the head of your division will soon be departing. Therefore, we need someone to fill his place. You've come very highly recommended by the head of Division Zero. Tell me Mister Johnson. What exactly has been your experience in demon matters in your lifetime? Just as a review"

"With... demon matters?" Richard resisted the urge to touch his neck. As always, honesty was the easiest way for him to go, so he thought about it, shortly. What was his experience with demons?

"As you already know from my dossier, I followed the work of DICE for five years before being recruited. I've been both on the field and in the lab. I am familiar with the DNA and biology of almost every sample DICE has, as well as my own samples from before I joined DICE. I know a lot of the attributes of the different genes. From the field, I know how the lesser demons react and act in a battle, as well as their weak points and many of the habits they seem to possess. I know how many of them feed. I know about most of the operations DICE has had in USA the last five years, and the outcomes, as well as how the public reacted to them."

Much of this was information he had discarded in his head long ago as uninteresting, but he still remembered most of the details. Richard smiled, more confident, and added; "While I don't have a lot of experience, I have five years where everything I've done has been related to demons. I've barely slept or eaten without pondering upon and discovering new things about demons, and especially their biology. Does that answer the question?" he tilted his head.

"While I don't have a lot of experience, I have five years where everything I've done has been related to demons. I've barely slept or eaten without pondering upon and discovering new things about demons, and especially their biology. Does that answer the question?"

"Yes. I suppose that answer is sufficient"

The German man turned it over to an American, who asked the next question.

"How do you think you'd fair if you were ever in a leadership situation during combat? Do you believe you'd be able to lead them through whatever conflict you'd be in?"

"How do you think you'd fair if you were ever in a leadership situation during combat? Do you believe you'd be able to lead them through whatever conflict you'd be in?"

Richard lifted an eyebrow, a bit surprised by the question. "You ask how I'd do as a leader in battle? Well... that would depend on the conflict, wouldn't it?" Richard had never seen himself as the leader type. Then again, he had never seen himself as the follow behind type either. "I'm used to acting out from my own assumptions and I'm fairly able to read the situation when I have to, taking every single detail into consideration. While I'm not the naturally charismatic type, I do believe that I'd be able get people to listen to me through logic." Was that a lie or the truth? He wasn't sure to be honest, but from his point of view, logic should be enough. If they weren't brainless, which he had found quite a lot soldiers to be. "If logic won't get someone to listen, I'd show them what I mean, one way or another. I would be able to stay calm, and I'm not a fool, I know when quitting is the most useful action one can take. But, as I said, it highly depends. Some situations doesn't need a person as a leader, but as an individual. That's all I can say about that."

"If logic won't get someone to listen, I'd show them what I mean, one way or another. I would be able to stay calm, and I'm not a fool, I know when quitting is the most useful action one can take. But, as I said, it highly depends. Some situations doesn't need a person as a leader, but as an individual. That's all I can say about that."

The American didn't respond. He only jotted something down on a piece of paper and handed it over to the man in the mask; who was still silent and looking through some files as they gave the interview.

The next to speak was a Japanese man.

"Johnson. What is your one most important responsibility you have in this organization?"

"Johnson. What is your one most important responsibility you have in this organization?"

Richard didn't even need to think about this one. "DNA sequencing. My most important responsibility is to determine the meaning of the different combinations of the different bases in the DNA, and the genes. Obtaining knowledge is what I do, and that won't change, ever. I hope that is good enough of an answer," Richard said, and adjusted his position in the chair.

"DNA sequencing. My most important responsibility is to determine the meaning of the different combinations of the different bases in the DNA, and the genes. Obtaining knowledge is what I do, and that won't change, ever. I hope that is good enough of an answer,"

The man frowned. He seemed upset at something Richard had said, and whispered something into the masked man's ear. He simply nodded and waved his hand at the final man other than him. Another American.

"You are one of the few scientists we've heard object to the study of live demon test subjects in the lab. Assuming you get this position, are you going to force your subordinates to cease these experiments?"

"You are one of the few scientists we've heard object to the study of live demon test subjects in the lab. Assuming you get this position, are you going to force your subordinates to cease these experiments?"

Richard stopped breathing for a few seconds. Would he? Answering no here would be the best, probably. He didn't even know what he would do. From the reaction of the man from before, he was doing quite badly. Was it even worth trying? Of course it was. "Do the lesser demons we have in store have a concept of free will and identity, or are they simply living based on instincts?" he asked. Of course, no one answered. "I don't know, and I doubt you know. I will take a look at it, if I have to decide, and I will find out about it. I don't like having someone's rights chopped off, even if they should be a demon. If I do find out that they have, then yes. I haven't seen a single useful experiment done in the labs that can't be done in the fields, or through other means. If they are as mindless as everyone assumes, then I'll have to rethink my stance on this matter."

Why was he even here again? What a great deal this was, letting him fuck up an interview. It was only a matter of time until they decided he wasn't worth it. Perhaps he should have run away after all.

"I don't know, and I doubt you know. I will take a look at it, if I have to decide, and I will find out about it. I don't like having someone's rights chopped off, even if they should be a demon. If I do find out that they have, then yes. I haven't seen a single useful experiment done in the labs that can't be done in the fields, or through other means. If they are as mindless as everyone assumes, then I'll have to rethink my stance on this matter."

The second American sat back in his seat, contemplating what he heard. He whispered to all the other men around him. After a minute of discussion, they each wrote on a piece of paper and laid in in front of the man with the mask. He sat still, viewing it for all of two minutes. Then he finally looked up at Richard.

He could fully see the details of the mask now. It was fleshy looking, made of some realistic material. The shape of it, was that of a creature screaming out in horror.

"One final question Richard Johnson," He spoke in a very low and gravely voice. It was something that sounded almost sub-human. "You said that collecting and testing DNA was what was most important. But say there was a situation where ending a demon's life destroys the body. Where a demon that understood the concept of freedom had to be kept alive for the data to be collected. Would you still to refuse to allow it to be experimented on? Even if the information could save someone later?

What is really more important? Freedom? Or Knowledge?"

"You said that collecting and testing DNA was what was most important. But say there was a situation where ending a demon's life destroys the body. Where a demon that understood the concept of freedom had to be kept alive for the data to be collected. Would you still to refuse to allow it to be experimented on? Even if the information could save someone later?

What is really more important? Freedom? Or Knowledge?"

Richard closed his eyes, not knowing what to say, and needing to think. He felt dizzy, but suddenly, he realized something. The question sounded as if it was between freedom and knowledge. It wasn't. It was between someone else's freedom, and his knowledge, and in this situation, possibly his freedom. It was between what was more important, himself and what he wanted, and someone else's freedom. To banish his feelings and morals, in order to live as he pleased, in order to feed his interest. It was painfully obvious, when put like that, it had been what he had done all his life.

"Knowledge," Richard said, wanting to be somewhere else. He was almost admitting to DICE's methods now, weren't he? Ignoring freedom in order to get what they wanted. Or was this even what they wanted to hear? He didn't know. "The most important thing is knowledge."

"The most important thing is knowledge."

The masked man put his head down again and sat in thought. He leaned over to the first man, the German, again. After a few words of back and forth between the two, the German finally stood up and walked over to Richard until he was directly infront of him, then gazed down into his eyes.

"Would you please stand before me Mister Johnson?"

"Would you please stand before me Mister Johnson?"

Richard nodded slowly, stood up, and went over to the man. He really didn't want to do this, but the door was shut, the bear probably outside. Them deciding he was acceptable, was the only way out of it, and he didn't see that happening.

Kains' walk with the bear was short, the conversation shorter. He made it back to his barracks once more, hoping for another mission dossier. There was none, and Kains' frown deepend. He decided to take a nap, and perhaps he'd visit the cafeteria later. He laid down, and fell asleep once more.

Kain woke up, and frowned. He had slept perhaps 20 minutes. He sighed and made his way to the cafeteria.

"The questions we asked you, had neither right, nor wrong answers. But they did give us a small view into the kind of person we would be dealing with. Some of us believe you are unfit for this position"

The man held out his arm, forcing the silver badge Richard once had in his possession into his hand. He looked down at it for a moment.

"However, as you've said, sometimes we men have to listen to the logic. And though we are split in this decision, we have found that it is in this board's best interests to award you with the position of Head of Division 6, with the title of Doctor Richard Johnson"

The man took out a pin and jabbed it into Richard's hand, drawing just enough blood to dot it onto the badge.

"You will take this position effective immediately, and receive all responsiblity that is granted under your title"

The dot of blood soaked into Richard's badge, leaving it a crimson color for a second, before turning back to it's silver hue. The man handed it back to Richard and nodded.

"That will be all Doctor Johnson"

"That will be all Doctor Johnson"

"I'm... I'm the boss of D6? How?" Richard almost couldn't stand. How?
The pin had been returned to his hand and he held it firmly within his palm. "Yeah. I'll take my leave now." He turned around automatically, and walked to the door. Wasn't this too much? How could they have chosen him? Him. Richard Johnson. The man who didn't even want to be there. "It has to be because of Voltaire. He must have more influence than I thought." Richard was fairly confident, he never really doubted himself when it came to a lot of things. But he was not someone you would leave in charge of a whole division. Right?

He left the room, silently. Then he opened his hand, and looked at the badge. DICE, was written on it. It was the sign of his responsibilities over D6. Responsibilities he would soon have to break, due to having made a deal with Voltaire.

He felt bad again. Guilt? Richard decided to hide the fact that he was Head of Division 6 for as long as he could still be free from commitments he didn't know if he cared about, and went to the cafeteria to have something, anything, to drink.

The soldiers scrambled out of formation when the "thing" they had captured hit the ground. They shakily aimed their rifles down at the creature as it's chest snapped around the girl within it's cavity.

They tried to form up and surround it, but none wanted to hazard getting in towards the front. They were clearly not prepared for this.

"Tuez-le! Tuez-le maintenant!"

One of the men closed in one the creature, firing his gun wildly it while the others remained back, only looking on.

Kain was sitting silently, stirring some soup with his spoon. He wasn't allowed to have meat. They joked it was because it was cliche, but Kain knew better. They didn't want him to go feral. He noticed Richard enter the large area, and decided to approach him.
"Hello, Richard. Still an amnesiac?" Kain asked with a smile, sitting next to him.

"Hello, Richard. Still an amnesiac?"

"Huh?" Richard hadn't noticed the guy before he spoke, he had been too busy looking away from the three or so scientists that had heard what the bear said. They probably thought he was grabbing for the position, and had been yelled at for even trying. That was how he wanted it, as long as possible. He had found a seat in the corner, but not yet decided on something to drink. He looked at the man who had placed himself beside him, only remembering him as the friendly neighborhood wolf guy. "Yeah, a bit. I don't remember your name, I'm sorry." He didn't want to talk about what had just happened, though the man had to know a bit since he had talked to the bear before.

"Yeah, a bit. I don't remember your name, I'm sorry."
Kain smiled warmly,
"Hm, suppose that answers my question, doesn't it? My name is Kain. I was in France with you and Azkar. You didn't seem to want to visit the museum, and I don't blame you for that. Any bells ringing in that brain of yours?"

"Hm, suppose that answers my question, doesn't it? My name is Kain. I was in France with you and Azkar. You didn't seem to want to visit the museum, and I don't blame you for that. Any bells ringing in that brain of yours?"

"Kain, Azkar. France... museum." It sounded familiar, but strange. Why would he go to France? Also, that Azkar... she had died, according to Kain before. The name was really familiar, but he couldn't think of what she looked like. He knew she was a girl, somehow, but for some reason she didn't have a set appearance in his mind. "Azkar died?" he asked, feeling a bit of a loss. "How?"

"Azkar died? How?"
Kain blinked.
"Where'd that come from?" He sighed, a sad smile on his face,
"In truth, she died twice that day. The first time was trying to rescue you. The second time, she was an angel who misunderstood what was happening. DICE killed her, but you were saved. Small victories?" he chuckled lightly, with no real mirth.
"What happened with Zorrama, any ways? I killed his associate, but I never learned what happened to him..."

"Where'd that come from?" He sighed, a sad smile on his face,
"In truth, she died twice that day. The first time was trying to rescue you. The second time, she was an angel who misunderstood what was happening. DICE killed her, but you were saved. Small victories?"

Richard looked at Kain, not wanting to say that he hadn't been in danger, not at that time at least. So, Azkar had died, and he was saved? He was happy to be alive, but he didn't feel any less empty knowing this, perhaps he felt even worse. He did, however, believe what Kain said, because something didn't surprise him about the fact that Azkar had been an angel the second time, she had had several other forms before. Had she? He thought so. Kain continued with a question on his own.

"What happened with Zorrama, any ways? I killed his associate, but I never learned what happened to him..."

Richard was about to speak, but then he remembered what Voltaire had said. "All I can say is that I killed him. Everything else is protected by the Alighieri Code." Richard said it coldly, sounding almost automatic. That was right, he was a spy for Voltaire now. "I'm sorry," he added.

"All I can say is that I killed him. Everything else is protected by the Alighieri Code. I'm sorry,"
Kain chuckled again,
"You know how silly that sounds right? Sir Richard Johnson of the Illuminati?" he covered his mouth and composed himself.
"Oh well, keep your secret. Bad guy is dead, one of us made the ultimate sacrifice, twice, and I end up keeping my hide. Sounds like a successful mission to me. The fact it wasn't official can be left out of the history books, I think."

"Tuez-le! Tuez-le maintenant!"

As impacts ricocheted off her chitin and bit into her muscles Azkar became worried that the dull pain would be the least of her problems if reinforcements came in. She cursed. For some reason she'd known French back when she was off with Richard and Kain, but now all she knew was English. She couldn't even remember a single bit of demonic. As if she'd simply borrowed her language from someone else. Azkar figured she didn't have much time and wouldn't be able to escape without getting wounded and brought to a halt or having to massacre all of the soldiers, who were only doing there job. Deep inside her chest Azkar chuckled, she had a plan, a plan so crazy it would hopefully work.

Azkar reached into all of their minds at once. She collapsed at the effort, but managed to plant a little thought in all of their unprotected and confused minds.

They all now 'remembered' that they had all tried acid right before this exercise because they thought it'd be funny.

"It's a very dire situation ma'am. The Americans and the Italians are awfully cross at each other. The Vatican want to send their own agents into the States to capture a Priest that they believe is bringing follows into the employ of demons. Seems outright preposterous, but they claim to have solid proof. Which of course, will not leave the walls of the church. I need an outside mediator with a cool head to speak with the church and find out exactly what their issues are with this man." Colonel Mercer said, sounding concerned about the situation; and who could blame him; The Vatican always had this fanatical belief that they were more suited to the job of slaying demons than anyone else was. The begrudged co-existence between the two organizations was one of the few things that was keeping from a conflict breaking out.

"I see, and your right Colonel Mercer, this is a very dire situation indeed. If word ever caught wind that a Vatican priest was seen consorting with demons, it might cause some people as they say to lose faith in the church; no pun intended. It would be safe to assume then that whoever is sent on this mission, will not only have to see what their problems are with one of their priests, but also to see if this evidence they have is both believable and existent. I mean, does D.I.C.E believe them?"

"You know how silly that sounds right? Sir Richard Johnson of the Illuminati?"

Richard nodded, and smiled mischievously, it was kind of funny, but he turned serious fast. If he was this bad at hiding something, how the hell could he even do anything as a spy?

"Oh well, keep your secret. Bad guy is dead, one of us made the ultimate sacrifice, twice, and I end up keeping my hide. Sounds like a successful mission to me. The fact it wasn't official can be left out of the history books, I think."

Richard wasn't too sure of Kain's definition of a successful mission, but he didn't feel like going into details on the topic, both because he wasn't allowed to, and because he didn't like what he had heard. "I'll go get something to eat," he said, and left the table. After a while, he returned, carrying a rather big glass of water, and some pretzels. "So," he started, wanting to change the topic for a while. When would they announce that he had become the head? The very same day? A few days from now? "I was in France with you and... Azkar. And then I didn't go to a museum. What else happened?"

"I see, and your right Colonel Mercer, this is a very dire situation indeed. If word ever caught wind that a Vatican priest was seen consorting with demons, it might cause some people as they say to lose faith in the church; no pun intended. It would be safe to assume then that whoever is sent on this mission, will not only have to see what their problems are with one of their priests, but also to see if this evidence they have is both believable and existent. I mean, does D.I.C.E believe them?"

"It sounds quite plausible. The church is not full of stupid people. They are aware of our cynicism when it comes to works of their faith. They would not create such trifles with another nation without something substantial. We are inclined to hear them out on this case"

"So, I was in France with you and... Azkar. And then I didn't go to a museum. What else happened?"
Kains smile lessened but remained.
"We headed to a cafe. You two wanted something to eat, and I smelled wine on you later so apparently you drank as well. I wouldn't really know. A man interrupted us before I could get my food, so I followed him to see what he was on about. I learned he was just a doctor interested in the fact Azkar had no legs at the time, though he was with that associate of Zorrama so I doubt he was that good of a person."

"It sounds quite plausible. The church is not full of stupid people. They are aware of our cynicism when it comes to works of their faith. They would not create such trifles with another nation without something substantial. We are inclined to hear them out on this case." Colonel Mercer remarked, sounding both uncertain about the situation and reassured that hopefully what they have is true.

"Fair enough, if you Colonel Mercer are willing to believe them for the time being; then that is how we shall have to play it. Anyway, Miss Noble, who are you going to recommend for this rather important mission?" Isabelle asked as she sat back in the chair as she began to think.

"Fair enough, if you Colonel Mercer are willing to believe them for the time being; then that is how we shall have to play it. Anyway, Miss Noble, who are you going to recommend for this rather important mission?"

"I've still been thinking it over," The woman said after finishing the report. Something on her faced looked as if something seemed disturbing, but she shook it off before continuing. "I have considered Solomon, Drell, or Byron. With the former two being the negotiator types. I would send you but, having just got off an assignment, you are likely in no hurry to be on a plane to Italy"

"Hell?" Isaac was taken aback by the request. That would be new on his list of places he's been to. Still, he questioned if it were possible."Maybe. That does kind of have one problem attached to it. Where is hell, exactly? Is it actually below the ground? Is it in another realm? How does it even work?"

Eligor thought deeply, how to explain it to a mortal? They understood death, but had a faint grasp of knowledge to do with the afterlife. But then again, this was something mortal knew instinctively, branded into their very souls. After all, the directions to the final destination was an important thing indeed. Couldn't just have spare souls everywhere. It was like explaining to somebody how to catch by solving a complex series of equations when other people knew how to do instinctively. Speaking of which, Isaac didn't seem like the sharpest tool in the toolbox, so Eligor had to keep this explanation simple. Which was a feat in itself. He searching for a nice simple parallel, and to his surprise, he found one.

"Sephirotic pathways, that is how it works." Eligor replied, projecting a series of glyphs on the ice, "Think subway stations, except these pathways are more hidden. But I'm sure if you--" Eligor then made a noise, as if he was clearing his throat, particularity because the next sentence would sound so cheesy, "--search your soul, you'll find the answer."

"We headed to a cafe. You two wanted something to eat, and I smelled wine on you later so apparently you drank as well. I wouldn't really know. A man interrupted us before I could get my food, so I followed him to see what he was on about. I learned he was just a doctor interested in the fact Azkar had no legs at the time, though he was with that associate of Zorrama so I doubt he was that good of a person."

"And then my head was messed up?" Richard asked. It didn't seem like there were anything very important that had happened. He had just decided to go to France with a couple of people he was pretty sure he had met the same day... that didn't seem like him, actually. As a matter of fact, it was the first time he had been in France at all, and the first time he had left DICE if he didn't count the trip he apparently had had to Minnesota. "Interesting. So, you are some kind of... werewolf?" He remembered that it was supposedly a D6 project he hadn't bothered to look into. Well, perhaps he had just ignored it, as the nature of it didn't sound like something he would be very happy about. But now... even if he had gotten Voltaire to make someone else do the work, he still needed to know about these kinds of things, and keep an eye on them.

"What kind of project is it, really?"

"I've still been thinking it over." Christina said after finishing the report, and had a partially disturbed expression on her face, as if something didn't look quite right; she quickly shook it off before continuing. "I have considered Solomon, Drell, or Byron. With the former two being the negotiator types. I would send you but, having just got off an assignment, you are likely in no hurry to be on a plane to Italy."

"I can agree with you on both Solomon and Drell, their oratory skills are quite remarkable; perhaps you could send both of them on this mission, it would be good to have two points of view on it, to compare and analyse. Byron, the neurochemist on the other hand, I'm not sure his skills are quite what this mission calls for; then again since he hasn't been in D.I.C.E for less than a year, I'm not entirely sure what he is capable of. As for me, your right, given that I have just come off an assignment, and have had not a lot time to rest; I may not be in my best state of being for something like this. However, should this end up in tracking the priest down, I may be of some use there, but it all depends on how the game is played."

Pages PREV 1 . . . 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 . . . 39 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked