D.I.C.E(Game Thread/PM to Join)

Pages PREV 1 . . . 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 NEXT

"Well, you could say that being a spirit means the hands of time have stopped my appearance from changing. As for these stories, I'm interested in hearing them; but won't your grandfather be a little shocked from seeing a spirit?"
Kain smiled, unperturbed by the revelation. He had already figured out what she was, he had met a few spirits, and he noted they were the only things without scent he encountered thus far.
"He believes in demons, can't imagine why he'd be scared of a friendly entity many believe don't exist. Still, might be best we leave out the spirit thing. I doubt I'll have a mission for awhile, and blowing off my psyche evaluation sounds fun, if you'd like to see him soon."

"He believes in demons, can't imagine why he'd be scared of a friendly entity many believe don't exist. Still, might be best we leave out the spirit thing. I doubt I'll have a mission for awhile, and blowing off my psyche evaluation sounds fun, if you'd like to see him soon."

"Well, I guess that makes things easier to understand then, and I can see your concern regarding leaving out the whole 'I'm a spirit' thing, it can cause problems for the unprepared or those who are easily scared. I get the feeling that Isabelle ain't going to be back for a while, so I'm ready to go whenever Kain." Vayle said as she finished off her hot chocolate.

"Well, I guess that makes things easier to understand then, and I can see your concern regarding leaving out the whole 'I'm a spirit' thing, it can cause problems for the unprepared or those who are easily scared. I get the feeling that Isabelle ain't going to be back for a while, so I'm ready to go whenever Kain."
"In that case, to the portal place." Kain said with finality, getting up. They made their way to the aforementioned location without incident. The portal even deposited them at the retirement home. the smell hit him, hard.
"Oh dear god, we've made a terrible mistake." Kain uttered, doubling over with his hands over his nose.

"In that case, to the portal place." Kain said with finality as he stood up. The pair of them soon made their way to the portal room without much incident. It even managed to deposit them outside the retirement home. Suddenly, a look of shock washed over Kain's face.

"Oh dear god, we've made a terrible mistake." Kain uttered, with has hands going over his nose several times.

"Why, whats happened Kain? Has something happened to your grandfather?"

Garath walked back to his room, not sure what to do with himself before the date he decided to take a nap, see if he could get caught up on the sleep he had missed earlier. He set an alarm and slept fairly well, in spite of his excitement.

He woke from his nap, feeling refreshed, took a quick shower and dressed for his date, he realized that as a downside to being well dressed all the time he really didn't have anything particularly nice to change into for the dinner.

He checked his watch, made sure he had his wallet as well as the portal device, and headed to the portal room.

"Why, whats happened Kain? Has something happened to your grandfather?"
"It's just never smelled this... awful to me before. Must be the wolf powers. I hope at least, it smells like a hundred people rotting." Kain gained some semblance of composure.
"Right, let's go find dear old Popsy." Kain began moving, swiftly and with his shirt pulled over his nose. The receptionist rolled her eyes,
"The rumors aren't true, boy."
"No, they are. They really are." Kain proceeded to try and get his grandpas room number. Kain turned to Vayle,

"Follow me, then." Kain began walking again, even faster.
'Dear god, it can get WORSE?!' He thought, almost out loud. Most of the old coots were looking at Vayle weirdly. They reached his room quickly, and Kain knocked on his door a few times and walked in. He was hit with in the jaw with a crutch.
"MOTHER FU-"
"Oh, hello boy." was the older gents greeting. He had the same face as leigh, though his hair was pure silver. He certainly had the muscles, drooping though they were, and a few more scars.
"And who is this lovely girl you brought with you?"

After spending sometime simply relaxing by herself, Isabelle went off to have a shower then got changed into a more suitable outfit for a date; but kept her coat in case wherever it was they were going to was cold. After looking at herself in a mirror, she noticed that she was blushing and feeling a little embarrassed. Isabelle then made her way towards the portal room.

Upon her arrival, she saw Garath was already there, and looking rather fine.

"I say Garath, you look rather dashing." Isabelle said with a smile.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"It's just never smelled this... awful to me before. Must be the wolf powers. I hope at least, it smells like a hundred people rotting." Kain said, regaining a sense of composure

"Right, let's go find dear old Popsy." He then added and began to move, swiftly and with his shirt pulled over his nose. Vayle followed on close behind, and noticed several of the strange looks she was receiving from the residents of the retirement home. Finally they reached the room belonging to Kain's grandfather. He knocked on the door several times before entering, whereupon he was hit in the jaw with a crutch.

"MOTHER FU-" Kain shouted out, but was interupted by the older gentleman. He had roughly the same face as Leigh, though his hair was pure silver instead of blond; and he certainly had the muscles, drooping though they were, along with some more scars.

"Oh, hello boy. And who is this lovely girl you brought with you?" The man asked, Vayle blushing a little.

"Good afternoon sir, my name is Vayle." She responded with, dropping a curtsy.

"We come here today, cause Kain told me that you had some stories to tell about your grandfather Leigh." Vayle then turned to Kain, who was still clutching his jaw.

"Are you alright?"

"I say Garath, you look rather dashing."

"Thank you, you're looking even more beautiful than usual yourself," He replied, smiling back, he held up the portal device "Where would you like to eat?"

He would suggest someplace himself but all of his favorite meals had taken place on cruise ships where he'd been hired to do a show, and he didn't like his chances of guessing the location of a ship. Ending up dumped into the middle of the ocean was not a good way to start a date.

He had never seen Isabelle dressed like this before, and he hadn't been lying when he complimented her. She seemed to be blushing ever so slightly, he wondered how often she went out like this.

"Are you alright?"
"Yeah, I'm fine. Still hit like a god damn train, popsy."
"Damn straight I do." He chuckled, and turned to Vayle.
"My name is Desmond. What is this about Leigh? I know Kain was always fascinated with those, surprised any one else is... Anyways, which one would you like to hear? The slaying of the Black Hound was always a favorite of Kains, it even had the whole group in it! Do you still go by Kevin, or has that phase passed?"
'I called my self Kevin?'
"No, it passed I guess." Kain shrugged

Richard woke up in a chair, and it took a few seconds for him to realize where he was and what had happened. "Where---" where was Isabelle? How long had he been knocked out? "Did she go tell the boss?" He wasn't sure of what he had been thinking, she hadn't known a lot, it had been obvious. Yet, he had probably managed to reveal more himself. He sat up, and saw that Isabelle had placed her coat on him, using it as some kind of blanket. In the pocket of it, a letter stuck out. Richard took it out, it had no addressee or other indication of who it was for. The back of it was closed by a wax seal.

"Huh. I don't think she would have forgotten it in the coat, considering it was sticking out pretty obviously." Besides, he didn't doubt the possibility of this being his last while doing as he wished so if she really had forgotten it, Richard didn't really care. He opened it, it had been for him. In it, Isabelle apologized for knocking him out, and told him that she wouldn't reveal to anyone what she knew. "Is this legit?" Yeah. It was. Richard had seen it already back then, but he hadn't realized it, paranoia getting the better of him. Isabelle really had been sincere. He didn't know why she had called him down, but it hadn't been because she wanted to blackmail or threaten him. "Well, either way, I shouldn't hang around here anymore. What time is it? I think I need to get back to the office." He checked a clock, it was evening. "Great," he murmured, but he was smiling. At least he felt well, just... really sleepy.

"I'll have to get out of here without people noticing me. It would bring on too many questions. Also, I'm hungry, but that'll have t wait until I've rested." He noticed he was speaking out loud, a habit he thought he had removed. "I shouldn't relax too much." He then, through the decently developed ability to get somewhere without people noticing -he hadn't spent five years "borrowing" from DICE without learning anything apart from demon DNA- and managed to get up the stairs without bringing much attention to himself. He entered the office area, but entered Daniel's office instead of his own. There he found Daniel behind a computer. "Is there anything new to do? Or can I go get some sleep?" he asked.

Danny woke up to the sound of gunfire, his gun if his ears were correct. He didn't know why someone using his considering they had an entire arsenal of ass-kicking weaponry. His Smith and Wesson was probably a pea-shooter compared to the fancy tech D.I.C.E had.

"You've woken up. Good."
Who's shooting? Is it you?
"I think you mean you're the one shooting Danny-lad, the gun is in your hands."

It was true, he was the one shooting. His hands were firmly gripped on his gun and he was in a professional stance, surprising because he never fired his gun the 'right' way. Whatever worked best at the moment was the stance he took, and as long as he hit bullseye no one would raise a peep.

Before the blood could fire again, Danny lowered the gun and laid it down on the bench. In front of him was a set of targets decorated with surprisingly accurate shots. He looked to his left and saw a digital scoreboard that read Danny's blood, Accuracy 90%. On the bright side, it wasn't Danny's name that had the shameful score.

"Shameful score? I'll have you know the past ten or so hours were the first ten or so hours of me holding and firing a gun."
Well congratulations. Now let me show you how to do it.

Danny pushed a button that read "NEW SET" and, surprise-surprise, a new set of targets appeared. They weren't moving and so Danny increased the difficulty at the push of an adjacent button. He held down the button but the targets still weren't moving to his confusion. He let go and pondered whether it was broken. He would have went snooping if it wasn't for the fire-ball that went past his face. More fire-balls followed afterwards, then blades.

"Am I missing something Danny?"
Shut up and help me find anything to stop those bloody targets!
"Only if you say please."

He gave up on the blood and tried to decrease the difficulty but the buttons were closed off by a steel mesh. In fact, the button that clearly read 'EMERGENCY SHUTDOWN' was closed off too. Realizing he could simply leave, Danny leaped for the exit only to be stopped by another steel mesh. He was trapped and the only escape was to deactivate the targets.

Danny raised his weapon and began wildly firing at the moving targets, not bothering to aim or leave his cover. His only option was to chance it out until all the targets were deactivated, all the while his accuracy lowered and lowered.

"Alright, shit just got real. I hope you don't mind a prick, because we're not going to go anywhere without seeing."

A drop of blood pierced from inside his skin and went to the tip of his gun. His vision then shifted to the blood. Everything was a shade of red, very disorientating for a human who was used to human vision. After he took control of his gun, Danny picked his targets. He didn't question the science and simply fired.

"Thank you, you're looking even more beautiful than usual yourself." Garath replied, smiling back, he held up the portal device "Where would you like to eat?" This made Isabelle blush as she began to think over a location. Several places came to mind, causing her to think it over for a few minutes before coming to a decision.

"How about New York? I know this great restaurant down in Times Square, wide variety of different foods across a range of flavours; I guarantee you'll find something to eat there."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Yeah, I'm fine. Still hit like a god damn train, popsy."

"Damn straight I do." The grandfather chuckled, and turned to Vayle. "My name is Desmond. What is this about Leigh? I know Kain was always fascinated with those, surprised any one else is... Anyway, which one would you like to hear? The slaying of the Black Hound was always a favourite of Kain's, it even had the whole group in it! Do you still go by Kevin, or has that phase passed?" He asked both Vayle and Kain.

"No, it passed I guess." Kain shrugged.

"The story of the Black Hound sound exciting, especially if it has the entire group included." Vayle remarked with a hint of glee in her voice.

"How about New York? I know this great restaurant down in Times Square, wide variety of different foods across a range of flavours; I guarantee you'll find something to eat there."

"Sounds good," Garath said, fiddling with the device for a few seconds, a portal appeared and they stepped through into the streets of New York, Garath glanced around to make sure no one had noticed their sudden appearance, fortunately the device had targetted an unnoccupied alleyway.

He waited until Isabelle had come through the portal, "We should be close to Times Square, I don't know what this place is called so you'll have to lead the way," he said, offering his hand to help her through the portal, though he doubted she needed help.

He had only been to New York once before and it had been years since then so he didn't remember much of it, hopefully she did or they would have to start asking for directions.

"And how are you planning to that Miss One Man Army?"

"With the two pieces of evidence we just acquired. Hang here and watch the girl for me"

Rebecca jumped out the car with the bag of drugs and walked slowly into the neighborhood with her head down. She went behind a few of the houses, before stopping at one painted blue and going in through a window.

Several minutes later, she was back at the car. She took Chloe out of the back seat and removed the handcuffs she had placed on her earlier.

"I thank you for your cooperation, and sincerely hope you survive this"

Rebecca took a syringe out of her pocket and carefully injected Chloe with it. After struggling against it, she began to look dazed. Rebecca hoisted her up and over a fence into someone's backward, and hightailed it for the car. She put it in drive, and sped away instantly. A few moments later, the sounds of screams and gunshots could be heard.

"And there's out girl at work"

"Is there anything new to do? Or can I go get some sleep?"

Daniel looked concerned as he read over the contents of the computer, but snapped back to a smile when he noticed Richard enter the room.

"There's a meeting between the heads of all Divisions later. But that's not for awhile still. Go ahead and rest Boss. You deserve it"

"There's a meeting between the heads of all Divisions later. But that's not for awhile still. Go ahead and rest Boss. You deserve it"

"What? Richard wasn't sure why Daniel would say that. Oh, well, as long as he could go to sleep, and he wasn't going to get thrown into the cells because he had been found out, it didn't matter that much. "Okay, I'll be going to my room then." Richard went back to his living quarters, undressed and got into his pajamas, and closed his eyes. He didn't set an alarm, figuring they would find a way to wake him up in time for the meeting. It didn't take a long while for him to fall asleep.

After Rebecca's ever cryptic response, she jumped out of the car with the bag of drugs and headed towards the neighbourhood, slowly walking down the road, keeping her head down. She was trying to be inconspicuous, but if anything walking down the road wearing a hoodie and sunglasses, holding onto paper bag just made her look more suspicious.

He kept his eye on Chole, not that she could do anything except glare at him.

Rebecca returned a few minutes later, lacking the bag of drugs, and grabbed Chloe, injecting her with a syringe. Whatever it was it made the girl look dazed. She then ran off carrying Chloe and dumped her over a fence. So much for being inconspicuous.

Rebecca made a dash for the car, putting her foot down to make a quick get a way.

"And there's our girl at work"

"Oh, and what exactly does leaving a strung out vampire in someone's garden hope to achieve? Do the owners grow garlic? Have they a penchant for sharp pieces of wood?" He snickered, "I doubt one vampire is enough to bring the demon community crumbling to it's knees."

"The story of the Black Hound sound exciting, especially if it has the entire group included."
Desmonds eyes gleamed for a second before he started his story. He was glad someone would sit through one of his stories, though he tried to keep it out of his voice.

Eligor poked the pit-beast with his blade in an effort to make the damn thing go faster. Sure, he had all the time in the world, but patience was not one of his virtues. Let's just say he didn't particularly want to spent all his time in one dark, dank shaft watching a tortured creature from the Abyss drip blood and saliva everywhere. Eligor sighed, all his efforts that brought him were more screams and more blood. You would think that at this rate, the foul creature's blood would flood the shaft, but it dripped through a twisted chain mesh of cartilage, blood vessels and bone that cracked underfoot every time. Eligor passed the time by practicing, getting more of a feel for the boy's body. Reactions times and whatnot. But he was done now and if memory served correctly, the journey was less than half-complete. Perhaps an in-flight movie would help pass the time? Eligor attempted to find the boy's memories, after all, best to know who you were inside of. Wouldn't want any 'unsuitable' stuff inside of your host, now, would you?

"Sounds good." Garath said as he began to work with the portal device, after pressing a few buttons one appeared and they soon arrived onto the streets of New York, whilst Garath made sure they were undetected, Isabelle came through without problems, albeit with a little help from Garath, what a gentleman he was to help a lady. Fortunately it appeared they arrived in a side alley.

"We should be close to Times Square, I don't know what this place is called so you'll have to lead the way." The couple soon stepped out onto the streets and saw the bright lights of the city. Isabelle took a moment to get her bearings, as it had been a couple of years since she had been to the city; oddly enough on a mission for D.I.C.E. New York had changed little since, so it was easy for her to figure out in which direction to head in, and they soon set off.

Although they were heading in the right direction, Isabelle was treating it a bit like a sight seeing tour, getting to know important places or landmarks once again to help familiarise herself. She received a few looks from passers by, and judging by those looks, they were complimentary ones. After a while though, they finally arrived at the restaurant.

"Here we are Garath, what do you think of the place?" Isabelle asked as they looked in through the window, seeing the comfortably lit restaurant was filled with many people, but they could still see some tables spare.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vayle listened with interest to the story that Desmond had told, finding joy in the part that she played in bringing down the Black Hound, enough that she even smiled. It appeared as though she possessed her crystal ball back then, and that the team she was apart of mercenary band of demon hunters, an idea she liked the sound of for some reason. The thought of travelling always felt good to her.

"That was fascinating Desmond, certainly an interesting story; I can see why Kain likes it." Vayle remarked as she noted down the events of what happened, so she could re-tell it to herself again later, and perhaps even share it with Isabelle.

"That was fascinating Desmond, certainly an interesting story; I can see why Kain likes it."
Desmond smiled warmly.
"Thank you... um... I don't think I caught your name." He said, rubbing the back of his head.
"I don't suppose it's Vayle, is it?"

When Richard opened his eyes again, his bed was trapped in a familiar dark void. A sphere of light hovered over his bed to allow him sight. The first thing he laid eyes on was the figure of Voltaire looking down at him.

"Wakey wakey. Time for your first report solider"

"Oh, and what exactly does leaving a strung out vampire in someone's garden hope to achieve? Do the owners grow garlic? Have they a penchant for sharp pieces of wood?" He snickered, "I doubt one vampire is enough to bring the demon community crumbling to it's knees."

"One vampire? Nope. Wont even make a dent. She'll probably only take down one...at most 3 guys before they knock her out. But the 200 or so army of then that comes afterwards will be one hell of a sight for anyone around to see it. There's always more to it than what you see"

While she talked, Elizer could feel a slight pain in his abdomen. It felt like something was pressing out from the inside, though the pain was subtle as the moment.

Rebecca, meanwhile, drove them through the portal, this time ending up back at the DICE garage. She parked back in her original spot and laid back in the seat.

"Well. That's your first official mission over with. And no one that we care about got hurt"

The first memory Eligor dug up was the one that played over and over again in the boy's head the most.

The scene was a holy chaotic and bloody one. The boy walked through a town. It looked very basic. Likely from a feudal period. Bodies of slaughtered victims laid scattered about, and flames consumed several of the wooden homes.

Just as the boy sunk his katana into another fleeing woman, a group of humans came walking into the town. The first was a red haired female with a large spear. The second was a gigantic man that stood over every house he passed, and was equally as wide. A kanabo was worn over his back

The final one was the most interesting. He wore no armor, and carried no weapon. The most striking thing about his face was that it bared a striking resemblance to someone Eligor knew, but he couldn't place who.

The fight looked to be even. The large man look swings at the enemy, but the boy was far too fast, and cut into him with little trouble. The woman struck at the boy with a flurry of slashes, but couldn't get past his defense. One misstep with her footing left the woman open, allowing the boy to cleave into her arm and force her to drop her weapon.

However, she was saved by the final slayer stepping in, and punching the boy back. The child attempted to plunge his katana into the man's unprotected back, and unexpectedly, it bounced off without leaving a scratch. The man then retaliated by beating the boy down with his bare hands.

The child was battered extensively, but his stamina wouldn't allow him to stop his killing spree. With a final kick, the man knocked the katana out of the child's hands. The boy ran to get it imediately, which left him open to a sealing spelled prepared by the woman.

The boy was trapped in a bubble of magic. And now, without his weapon, he was beginning to feel weak. He laid down on the ground and looked up at the three slayers that had defeated him.

"I don't think there is anything I can do for him," the woman said. The synching up of their minds had allowed Eligor to understand whatever language they were speaking. "At this point, his urge to kill is too powerful. He will seek out that cursed sword until the end of time"

"Then there is but one thing left to do," The man said stepping forward. He put his hands together, and a hole ripped open under the boy. He began to fall, until he was down in the hellish grounds of the entrance to hell.

"Wakey wakey. Time for your first report solider"

Richard looked at the bandaged man -everywhere around him were dark, so where else could he look?- but he didn't sit up. "Yeah. Okay," his voice was muffled from having just woke up -or gone to sleep?- and it sounded like a whisper. He cleared his voice, and sat up a bit more. Richard knew that while this was a dream, it wasn't a normal one. Somehow, Voltaire was really talking to him. "What do you want to know?" At the moment, the one with the upper hand was Voltaire, and Richard knew he was being watched closely as he spoke. After all, these people knew of his detached nature, of not being too loyal to his words. But then again, Richard didn't think it was necessary to be loyal to anything else than your interests. "Don't expect too much, it's my first day on the job."

"Here we are Garath, what do you think of the place?"

"Looks nice," he said as they made their way inside, they got a small table and sat down, Garath began to look through the menu, he decided on what to eat and put down the menu.

"So when was the last time you were here, in New York I mean?" He asked, he'd never been to this resturant before, and in the little time he'd spent in the city he hadn't seen much of it, "Was it before you joined DICE or after?"

He supposed it wasn't really a good idea to talk about work, but it was something they had in common so he figured it would be a good way to start the conversation.

Danny was huffing by the time the set was finished. He had several burn marks on his hands and arms, ones that not even the blood could fully heal. His neck and face was similarly decorated with spots of black ash, not nearly as severe but far more comical in the blood's opinion. He checked his prized gun and was saddened to see it blackened, almost a convincing paint job. A paint job, however, was the last thing he wanted on his Smith & Wesson. Silver was classier, cooler. It had style, whereas black was just too dull. It was boring and had no personality.

Look at me! Look how edgy I am. I shoot people, my job is serious raaar!
"You get all of this from the colour of a gun?"
I've been on the job for a while buddy, I know how people work. You can judge a book by a cover sometimes.
"I'm sorry, what?"
It's an expression. You can judge something or someone by their appearance.
"You don't have much experience with demons do 'ya Danny-chap?"
Oh we'll cross that bridge when we get there.
"What bridge?"
You should read up on this kind of stuff if you plan on staying with me for long. Watch a few films maybe, get a better understanding of how we work.
"Any recommendations?"
You can browse my brain for this one. Enlighten yourself.

Having thought that, Danny left the shooting range. He remembered seeing a sign for a medical bay on level 5 and so he made his way towards the elevator. He hesistated pushing the button. His arms and hands were covered in second, arguably third, degree burns but here he was, whistling merrily while his skin was literally peeling off. It was all because of the blood, and while he was in a perfect position to get angry he was happy. The strange wonders of befriending a liquid demon...

"Oh, I know. Don't you worry about that. This is just a quick check in to see how things are going with you I like to make sure my people are doing well."

"My people." Richard wasn't anyone's person, and especially not the people who had given him something that could barely be called a choice. Richard sat up in the bed, while Voltaire sat down at the foot of the bed and looked into the darkness.

"I just want to know how your first day is going. Any problems you're having? Any extreme stress? Also, how are you liking your assistant. I hear he's an odd one"

Richard hesitated shortly, but he then shook his head. He could trust Isabelle not to give away what she knew, she had given him her word. That had to be enough, if not his life as Head of D6 would be a short one. "I don't have any problems. As for stress, it's been a long day." He didn't say more about that. Getting kidnapped, killing Zorrama, and then this mess, it was so uninteresting and stressful that he just wanted to go to sleep, and forget all about it. Richard didn't even feel any need to do some testing, he just felt like not doing a thing. He realized he had been asked another question, about the assistant, so he tilted his head, and spoke. This had the potential to gain him an answer or two.

"Yeah, he's okay, seems he's going to do my work for me. Is he one of your men as well?"

"Daniel? Well no. Currently, you're the only scientist we have in our imploy that is even vaguely human. We just choose that one because he's a bit thick in the head and wouldn't question a promotion"

"Well, he does seem a bit careless, so it's plausible." If Voltaire was speaking the truth -which he seemed to do- Richard didn't have to worry about that part, at least.
Voltaire stood up and was soon looking over Richard again.

"You don't have to worry about your men. You're watching them, not the other way around. Well...they could be watching you if they were paranoid. But they arn't I hope. Well now I'm rambling. I think I need to let you get back to your nap now. Maybe actually have a dream not involving me"

Richard nodded, and lay back down. He waited for Voltaire to leave, before closing his eyes. He instantly fell asleep, this time his sight was too obscured to make sense of the area around him. All he knew as that it was cold there, with deep snow. It was completely white, apart from this small pond, seemingly completely frozen over. However, when he walked over he could see a small hole where the ice had melted away, but the water inside was still cold, and touching it made him feel frozen, without actually freezing. The ice seemed to have melted off by someone applying heat to it.

Everything was cold, and he was alone, but Richard did not mind it. That was how it was supposed to be, right? Frozen, cold, distant, alone, with the wind blowing either warm or cold air, depending. He stumbled, and fell into a hidden hole in the ground. It had been opened by a sudden impact. This brought him to a small, empty room, it's walls colored mint green. The sound of ticking could be heard, but there were no clocks.

Images started playing off the walls like a movie. Richard sat down, feeling confused and his mind a mess of not understanding what was happening around him. Not managing to put the rules of society together. It all lacked a certain logic. Why were people so sad? How could they so easily say what was wrong, and what was right? How did they manage to care so much? It all lacked logic.

Right?

He was suddenly awake, someone having entered his room.

"Looks nice." Garath said as they went inside, found themselves a table and sat down. A waiter came soon after to hand them menus before going away to deal with another customer. Isabelle was busy looking through the menu whilst Garath began asking some questions.

"So when was the last time you were here, in New York I mean? Was it before you joined DICE or after?" Isabelle stopped and put down the menu to answer the question posed, whilst holding a glass of water that was at the table.

"I guess it was a year so after I had officially joined D.I.C.E. They had sent me here on reconnaissance to scope out Central Park, as they had heard rumours about some strange goings on down at the lake. After gathering sufficient evidence, they had me 'clean up' as it were." She remarked, avoiding any potential words that may spook the other patrons, but hopefully Garath would understand the context.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Thank you... um... I don't think I caught your name." Desmond said as he smiled warmly, rubbing the back of his head.

"I don't suppose it's Vayle, is it?" It was at that moment that Vayle froze, remembering she gave her real name earlier. Her thoughts turned to what she should do now.

"Yes, my name is Vayle." She said calmly, then revealing her crystal ball.

"Yes, my name is Vayle."
Desmonds smile turned into a full out grin.
"Wonderful! That makes two members who are still around. Though you don't look much like a specter. I'll guess spirit then." Desmond sat on the bed when he was telling his story, but he stood back up now, pacing the room.
"And if Kain is following you around, he finally took up the family occupation. You're father wouldn't be proud, but I am." Kain recognized when he got like this. He wouldn't respond to anything until his thoughts were sorted again, so he spent his time thinking about Desmonds words.
"This begs the question if you're independent or working with DICE? And if you've gained your family power. Tell me, who is your partner?" Kain looked confused, and Desmond sighed.
"There is a lot I need to tell you. Later. Right now, let's see if there's anything our friend here needs." Desmond turned towards Vayle.

"I guess it was a year so after I had officially joined D.I.C.E. They had sent me here on reconnaissance to scope out Central Park, as they had heard rumours about some strange goings on down at the lake. After gathering sufficient evidence, they had me 'clean up' as it were."

"Ah, well if there's one good thing about our job it's we get to travel," Garath said, "Sadly it doesn't leave us much time for things like this."

He leaned back in his chair, while taking a drink of water, then set down the glass, he glanced around for the waiter, who was still busy with other customers, and waited a bit before speaking, so that Isabelle would have time to decided on her meal.

"I can't remember the last time I had time off to go do something like this, what about you?" he said after a few moments.

A light ding indicated Danny's arrival at Level 5. Of course the real indicator was his screams and the trail of blood leaving the elevator in an animated fashion. Danny fell out of the elevator only for the blood to form branch-like suppourts to keep him moving forwards, not down. He wanted to grip his arms, as one would when they are bleeding, but he knew that it wasn't good idea considering he could almost make out his bones. He continued his falling run towards the medical bay only for him to slide across the hall, the blood was understandably shy of people.

"What's the rush to the medical bay?"
Can you not see my arms and hands? They are flaying! I'm in the process of becoming a bloody skeleton!
"Don't worry Danny, I'll fix it."

The blood began to clot and before he knew it, the bleeding had stopped. The blood, however, wasn't his concern.

The flesh man, the flesh!

Having thought that, Danny followed the signs in a wild run. Narrowly missing a trolley, three, Danny arrived and tried to knock on the door. He slammed the air but before he could make contact, his hands stopped.

Open the medical bay doors blood.
"I'm sorry Danny, I'm afraid I can't do that"

Danny almost forgave him for quoting 2001, but having remembered what 2001 was about Danny wasn't so happy. He could only hope someone would spot him before he started walking off, which he did as soon as he thought that.

"One vampire? Nope. Wont even make a dent. She'll probably only take down one...at most 3 guys before they knock her out. But the 200 or so army of then that comes afterwards will be one hell of a sight for anyone around to see it. There's always more to it than what you see"

Even if time had seemingly stopped for vampires, they were still creatures of the mortal realm; tied neither to heaven or hell, they were stuck on this plane just as Eliezer. Demons however weren't. Any basic demon could teleport back to hell whenever they felt like it, they are proud beings, but not so stupid when the odds were against them to continue fighting. They would go back and bring reinforcements, wave after wave until the threat was neutralised, it wouldn't be a war, or a battle, it would be just another day.

"Yeah, whatever you say"

He slumped back into the seat and waited for them to return to DICE.

In the meanwhile he could feel a subtle pain from his abdomen, like something was trying to push through it and escape. It hurt just enough to be annoying, but it gnawed at him. He wondered what it was, he was immune to most things thanks to his curse, was it something to do with that goo? He clutched the towel tighter at the thought.

"Well. That's your first official mission over with. And no one that we care about got hurt"

Distracted by the 'thing' that could be in his stomach he hadn't noticed they had got back to the DICE HQ garage. "See you then" He tossed the mask back to Rebecca "You can keep that" He then waved the gun in front of her, "I'll be keeping this though," and got out the car.

Whatever was causing the pain in his stomach was annoying him, he decided to head down to the dormitory and try to sleep it off, revenge could wait a few hours. However his plans were interrupted when he saw a trail of blood leading from the elevator. Curious, he followed it until he reached a man? A woman? So much of it's flesh was missing he couldn't discern the things gender.

"You look a bit worse for wear, need some help?"

"Wonderful! That makes two members who are still around. Though you don't look much like a spectre. I'll guess spirit then." Desmond said with a smile as he sat back on the bed where he was telling the story; but he soon stood back up, and began to pace the room, obviously thinking about something.

"And if Kain is following you around, he finally took up the family occupation. You're father wouldn't be proud, but I am." It looked as though Kain new what Desmond was on about, and began thinking over the old man's words. Desmond meanwhile continued speaking.

"This begs the question if you're independent or working with DICE? And if you've gained your family power. Tell me, who is your partner?" Both Kain and Vayle looked rather confused by the situation, what did he mean by partner? Desmond sighed when he saw this, but continued all the same.

"There is a lot I need to tell you. Later. Right now, let's see if there's anything our friend here needs." Desmond turned towards Vayle.

"The thing is Desmond, if I may call you that, when I woke up, I had no memory of who I was. Over the past few years, I've managed to piece together a few clues; but its only been today that I've had any semblance of who or what I was. Thanks to a seance that a couple of friends of mine back at D.I.C.E held, I was able to get in contact with Leigh himself. It was he who told me a bit more about myself, and thanks to you Desmond, I know a whole lot more. Also, who else is it that is still alive?" Vayle said as she stood up, returning her crystal ball from whence it came.

"Now I know who I am, another question remains. How come I am a spirit still here on Earth?" She asked rhetorically.

"Ah, well if there's one good thing about our job it's we get to travel." Garath said, "Sadly it doesn't leave us much time for things like this." Isabelle had to admit, he was right, the work that they did for D.I.C.E often meant that there wasn't much free time in this capacity. She responded to it verbally with a sigh.

"Yeah, I guess your right Garath." Isabelle said, sounding slightly sad. Garath meanwhile had leaned back in his chair, while taking a drink of water, then set down the glass, he glanced around for the waiter, who was still busy with other customers, and waited a bit before speaking, so that Isabelle would have time to decided on her meal.

"I can't remember the last time I had time off to go do something like this, what about you?"

"I remember one time, but that was a while ago before I joined D.I.C.E officially; can't remember much I'm afraid." Isabelle remarked as she finished looking through the menu before closing it and placing it down on the table, her mood had perked up a little bit from before.

"So, have you decided on what you are going to order then?"

"I remember one time, but that was a while ago before I joined D.I.C.E officially; can't remember much I'm afraid."

She sounded sad, which was not what he had intended, but then she seemed to cheer up and continued.

"So, have you decided on what you are going to order then?"

"I was going to get the shrimp fettucinni alfredo," he said, "What about you?"

He thought back on her earlier comment, the one she had seemed sad about, he felt like he should say something to cheer her up, given that he had brought up the subject in the first place. He wondered about her life before DICE, she had said that she and her father had been approached by DICE, which made him guess that she belonged to a family of Demon hunters or at least magic users, but he didn't want to bring up that subject as it would undoubtedly bring up memories of her father that were likely painful.

"So you haven't had a date since you joined DICE? That should be a crime for a beautiful lady like yourself to be so unappreciated," he said, smiling.

"The thing is Desmond, if I may call you that, when I woke up, I had no memory of who I was. Over the past few years, I've managed to piece together a few clues; but its only been today that I've had any semblance of who or what I was. Thanks to a seance that a couple of friends of mine back at D.I.C.E held, I was able to get in contact with Leigh himself. It was he who told me a bit more about myself, and thanks to you Desmond, I know a whole lot more. Also, who else is it that is still alive?"
"I wouldn't have told you if I wouldn't allow it." He said with a smile. His face turned grave.
"The other one who is still alive is Hawke. He is a specter, and an amnesiac like you. Last I heard, he was floating around the Vatican."
"Now I know who I am, another question remains. How come I am a spirit still here on Earth?"
"I have no more information for you unfortunately. All I can suggest is going to find Hawke. Though there is a good chance you'll find him and not know it." The old man shrugged, and turned towards Kain.
"Your problem I can explain better. Your great great grandmother, Anne, had the ability to control the Zodiak spirits. She has blessed our bloodline with spirits, yours is 'Dog', mine is 'Monkey.'" at this an ethereal chimp phased through the closet, and went to Desmond, resting on his shoulder.
"But yet, yours is missing? Strange." Kain didn't react, which disappointed Desmond.
"I don't think I should be explaining all this right now. You guys can go now, visiting hours are up anyways." He said this with finality, and Kain knew he wouldn't speak again until they left. Kain turned to leave, waiting for Vayle at the door, portal device in his hand.

"I was going to get the shrimp fettucini alfredo," Garath said. "What about you?" He then asked.

"Think I will go for the rib-eye steak with garlic hollandaise, though I'll have it well done." Isabelle said politely.

"So you haven't had a date since you joined DICE? That should be a crime for a beautiful lady like yourself to be so unappreciated." This caused Isabelle to blush, feeling slightly embarrassed by the comment, but also found it a little sweet. She giggled whilst hiding herself behind the menu, eventually the blush settled.

"Well aren't you a charmer Mr. Heller. I guess you could say that I haven't had the time for romance, and whilst people have complimented me before, they've never gone that extra mile for me to fall in love with them, so in a way I mostly remain friends with them. So then, since we're on the subject, have you ever been with anyone?"

"I wouldn't have told you if I wouldn't allow it." Desmond said with a smile. His face turned grave.

"The other one who is still alive is Hawke. He is a spectre, and an amnesiac like you. Last I heard, he was floating around the Vatican."

"Okay then, guess that is one lead to follow for later."

"I have no more information for you unfortunately. All I can suggest is going to find Hawke. Though there is a good chance you'll find him and not know it." The old man shrugged, and turned towards Kain. He went onto explain that Kain was descended from Anne, and supposedly could summon an animal spirit alongside him; which Desmond demonstrated by the means of an ethereal chimp that came through the closet, and rested on Desmond's shoulder.

"I don't think I should be explaining all this right now. You guys can go now, visiting hours are up anyway." He said this with finality. Kain turned to leave, waiting for Vayle at the door, portal device in his hand.

"Well, thank you for speaking to us Desmond. Its been both fun and an honour to hear a story. I hope we can speak again at some point." Vayle said with a smile as she headed towards Kain.

"Whenever you are ready Kain."

"Well aren't you a charmer Mr. Heller. I guess you could say that I haven't had the time for romance, and whilst people have complimented me before, they've never gone that extra mile for me to fall in love with them, so in a way I mostly remain friends with them. So then, since we're on the subject, have you ever been with anyone?"

"A few times yeah," he said nonchalantly, trying not to blush at her calling him a charmer, feeling that he'd mostly succeeded he continued "Not so much since I joined DICE, my last ex broke up with me when she got transferred to a different base, some eight months ago I think."

He smiled, Isabelle was cute when she was blushing, or at least he found her to be, not something he would have expected having seen her in the field.

"So are you going to want something to drink, wine or something?" he asked, indicating the appropriate section of the menu, "I don't have a preference so if you want we can split a bottle."

Pages PREV 1 . . . 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked