D.I.C.E(Game Thread/PM to Join)

Pages PREV 1 . . . 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 NEXT

Daniel walked over to Richard's bed and lightly tapped him on his arm.

"Sorry for interrupting your sleep boss," he said timidly, and just loud enough to hear. "I was told I needed to retrieve you for the meeting today.

A piece of the cover fell as Daniel tried to make sure he was up, and he saw Richard was in his PMs. A rather girlish smile crept over his mouth, but he was able to subdue it.

"Yeah, okay," Richard said, and got up. He didn't get why Daniel smiled as he did. Perhaps it was the notion of Richard going to the meeting wearing what he wore? It was a pajama, after all, hardly fit for wearing in meetings. As Richard had never been a shy person -what was there to be shy about anyways, it was simply human anatomy- he didn't see the need for Daniel to leave the room. Richard took off the pajamas shirt and put on a t-shirt and a sweater, before taking of the pants and putting on a pair of jeans and some shoes, but dropped the coat. If he wasn't going to do anything that he needed a lab coat for, wearing it was stupid. "Should we go then?" he asked, he had no idea where the meeting was taking place. It could be the same place that he had been interviewed in, but he didn't know.

Daniel's face burned red as he watched Richard undress and put on his clothes for the meeting. When Richard was done, Daniel hardly understood a word he said to him, as he was still focused on his body.

"Yes...that's nice. Oh. Oh! The meeting. Yes. Right this way."

Daniel went out the door in a hurry and waited for Richard to catch up to him. He lead him to the elevator, and rode up to the first floor. When they got off, the proceeded to a room next to Col. Lin's office. Daniel opened the door for Richard and nodded

Inside the room were 4 men and a woman sitting around a round table. There was a seat left open for Richard, and another seat empty at the head of the table.

Daniel had hurried out, and then been looking away when Richard followed, for some reason. He lead Richard to a office close to the place where he had gone... when going to Russia? Yeah, he thought so. From the looks of it, he was to take the seat that was not at the head of the table, so he sat down, and looked over at the other heads, trying to find out what kind of person they were, and what division they were the head of.

Danny was approached by a stylish man. He looked normal, enough, relative to Danny's previous life. Something that caught Danny's eye, however, was the pink towel the man was holding which Danny wanted to snatch to clean up the mess the blood left. The trail was still for now and as long as someone else was in the area, Danny assumed it would stay that way. A burning sensation from his arm, however, reminded him that he had more important matters to attend to. Which reminded him, he needed help.

Danny opened his mouth but no words came out. In fact, his mouth immediately closed and he dived for the man's towel.

"YIPEEE!"

The 'Thing' as Eliezer decided to dub. It flapped it's mouth open for a moment, attempting to speak, but no words came out from it. It then lunged towards him, trying to snatch his towel off him. The towel the note in the box stated he explicitly needed; he wasn't going to let this thing have it. He wondered how such an abomination had got into DICE, it didn't look like any of the agents he had during his long stay there, they all looked relatively normal - bar the masks and sense of style.

He reflexively dodged backwards as it made a grab for his towel. He took his gun out and aimed it at the monster.

"What do you want with my towel?"

"Gah, stuff this!"

Danny momentarily regained control of his body. He stared at his hands in amazement before realizing the man was now aiming at a gun at him. Danny couldn't reveal the blood but he could still ask the man for help in opening the door and restraining Danny. He hoped it wasn't too fishy but considering it was an organization dealing with demons, his efforts could prove to be fruitless. Out of the corner of his eye he noticed the blood returning, awfully risky but it meant the blood couldn't control him and external blood at the same time.

Danny could feel it returning to his body and so it wouldn't be long before it regained control. Danny decided to risk ignoring the man's question and reply with, "Err, nothing! Yeah real sorry about that buddy. It appears you really like that towel. So, aaah, I need some help. Yeah, I need to get into that medical bay but-" Danny's mouth closed again and this time he started sprinting down the corridor. The burning sensation, however, was too much and Danny, for only a split-second, regained control. The result, was him jumping into the wall.

"What are you doing? Haven't I explained the dangers of exposing me?
Can't you hide or something? Goddamn it, my fucking arms!

Danny violently spun backwards onto the man.

"I need medical attention, please! Look at my bloody arms!" Danny pleaded. Whatever testing they did couldn't hurt more than this, Danny concluded.

"Err, nothing! Yeah real sorry about that buddy. It appears you really like that towel. So, aaah, I need some help. Yeah, I need to get into that medical bay but-" It had a mans voice, so it was human, maybe? Eliezer hadn't met anyone who would still be standing after their flesh half flayed from their arms, but DICE was full of surprises. Then again he had had a long time to meet new and different and none of them he knew could've taken this amount of punishment, the frailty of mortals.

Maybe it was the effect of pointing a gun in the man's face, but he suddenly barrelled down the corridor away from him, a trail of more blood following him and slammed into the wall, it was comical, but with all that blood shouldn't he be dead by now? He then spun around and stomped back towards Eliezer.

"Make your mind up" He thought, rolling his eyes.

"I need medical attention, please! Look at my bloody arms!"

"Well then you're at the right place, just that door in fact" He remembered that the man had been staring gormlessly at the door when he first encountered him, "But if you're having trouble" He swung the door open and stood to the side, "After you."

"Whenever you are ready Kain."
Kain was just starting to get used to the smell too. He fidgeted with it for a moment, before finally getting it to work. It deposited them in the D2 common room, and Kain started to walk off, towards D4 barracks. He was tired, and simply wanted to think about what his father had told him, but felt he should be nice and see if Vayle wanted anything before he could relax.
"Still need anything, Vayle? I'm here if you need me."

"After you."

Danny leaped into the medical bay and hugged the nearest surgical table with all of his force. He could feel his body reeling off already but pain kept him snug on the table.

"You leave me no choice Danny-lad, it was a good run."

As if gravity had been reversed, Danny's body hit the ceiling. He could feel the blood searching his thoughts, entering his psyche. It was bringing up a different kind of pain, one that a simple trip to the doctor could not fix. His dad, his friends, his associates all in Detroit. Everyone that used to know him was either dead or thought Danny was dead. He would be forced into a life of demon-slaying and now, with someone else controlling him. Danny, would no longer exist. "Only the blood, h-h-ha-ha! I gave you a chance Danny-chap, we could have worked things out. But alas, I must assume direct control. Not nearly as fun but what can you do?"

Danny fell onto the table, breaking a few of his ribs. He looked up to see the blood completely covering the ceiling in an animated fashion. It was going to consume Danny, break his will. Danny realized that if he had failed the blood's test, it would have used him anyway. This time, he wasn't so sure if he could beat it.

His last words before entering unconsciousness was "Please keep this a secret eh? When I come back, my first words will be 'man and his slave.' If they aren't, please kill me. And could you keep an eye on me? I may move around. You know what, just lock this door."

Danny had no choice but to trust the man, and he hoped he had sympathy for him and whatever test subjects D.I.C.E. had. He would need to talk when he retur-

"So, we're going to do this dance again eh?"

"A few times yeah." Garath said in a rather nonchalant manner, looking as though he was about to blush, but pulled away at the last minute. "Not so much since I joined DICE, my last ex broke up with me when she got transferred to a different base, some eight months ago I think." He then smiled.

"So are you going to want something to drink, wine or something?" Garath then asked, breaking his smile as he indicated towards the separate drinks menu. "I don't have a preference so if you want we can split a bottle."

"Yeah, wine sounds rather nice actually, hadn't had any for while, now then, let us see what they have here then..." Isabelle said, before inspecting the collection. From what she could recall, the restaurant had at least doubled their wine selection since she was last here; as they were so many to choose from. She wanted to find a wine that would work well with both meals. A short while later and she found it.

"How about a nice Chardonnay."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kain fidgeted with the portal device for a moment before it finally came alive. It deposited them back in the Division Two common room, and Kain soon began to walk towards the exit. Vayle could see that he looked tired, and probably wanted to think about what he learned from Desmond, but he soon turned to face Vayle.

"Still need anything, Vayle? I'm here if you need me."

"Um, no thank you Kain, but I appreciate the offer. I think I'll just find somewhere to think about what I've learned here today; feels like so much has happened in a short space of time, feels like a weight has been lifted from me." Vayle remarked with a smile as she went towards Kain and hugged him.

"That was for helping me out."

The memory washed over him like a tidal wave. Eligor was left with more questions than answers, the only thing that the memory answered was the boy's capacity for violence and how he can be in Hell. Eligor was pleased by that, a proper wielder for a proper sword. Though, underneath the comfort of that knowledge, a hint of unease rose. What was that iron-skinned man? What was he? And, who was he? Additionally, what did the woman mean by 'he will seek out that cursed sword until the end of time...'? No matter, there were plenty of cursed swords in the world, let alone a demon cursed to inhabit a sword. The pit-beast, with a final burst of effort, reached the end of its journey. Eligor stepped off the platform; the opening of the chamber, an open wound in the side of the chamber walls, lay ahead. Time to swap a clunky platform for an ornate chair.

Then, a girl's voice boomed from the opening of the chamber, "Ooooooooookaeri~!"

Whoever was there had clearly heard the final clang of the contraption and had assumed that somebody had returned... Probably a messenger, or a servant, or even another Prince, assuming that was a Prince's voice in there. Nevertheless, the Seven were a stubborn lot and hardly meet. The only meeting Eligor could remember where all seven were present was at least three thousand years ago. Besides, they had a habit of taking the most peculiar forms sometimes. Then again, here was Eligor co-habiting the body of an asian boy in a training gi with strange markings and a sword with a wicked eye that burst out of the cross guard. He strode in, the 'prodigal son' was returning. He just hoped the welcome would be a kind one.

But the girl was the only one there. She was dressed in a dainty little black dress with lace gloves. However, shattered wings sprouted from her back. It was particularly noticeable as she twisted around to met Eligor that the wings were shrunken, clipped even. A few feathers hung on to the bone, but they couldn't hide the fact that the metacarpus bone was shattered, rendering her flightless. Beneath her long blonde hair, in-between the wings, there was just a... hollowness. A cavity of some sort in which some sort of fire burned. However, Eligor couldn't make out what exactly it was, as at that moment, an evil grim appeared on her face and with perfect execution, she slapped the boy's face.

Eligor felt every bit of pain of the sharp slap to say the least as the boy's face was flung sidewards, nearly causing him to let go of the sword. However, he recovered and slammed the sword into the nearby chair and immediately replied, "Who are you to accost a Great Duke?"

She just replied with another slap, this time it was a backhanded one, and with a sly smile, she sneered, "And who are you to forget your Prince?"

Eligor was shocked. This was his liege lord? This? He stuttered syllables in a low whisper, "Lu... Lu...?" then simply reverted to mouthing them, the blond lent over and planted a finger on the boy's lips and with another sly smile whispered back, "It's Lucy now."

She titled her head, looking into the boy's eyes and the sword's. With a different, more male, more deeper voice - a voice Eligor knew well, 'Lucy' said, "It seems this was unexpected for both of us. We have much to talk about, you and I..."

"How about a nice Chardonnay."

"Sure, whatever you want," he said, not long afterwards the waiter came by and recieved their orders, then departed again.

Garath wasn't sure what to talk about, he did have a lot of questions for Isabelle, but he didn't want to bring up painful memories, or talk too much about work. He also supposed it wouldn't be a good idea to talk about Vayle, bringing up another woman on a date, even if it was a spirit, could only get awkward.

"So how did you learn your, uh, abilities, have you always used them for our line of work?" he said, hoping she caught on to what he meant, magic was always a subject of interest to him, and he was curious how long she had been a demon hunter for. He then realized that he'd somehow picked a subject that likely involved her family and her job, the only subject he was missing was Vayle, should have just told her she has pretty eyes he silently chastised himself.

All the same he did want to know her better, as opposed to simply showering her in compliments, regardless of how deserved he felt said compliments were.

"That was for helping me out."
It was officially Kains turn to blush. His cheeks were crimson when he broke off the hug.\
"Uh, I should be going then. I'll see you around, and if you need a travel buddy for the Vatican, I'm sure I'll be free." He rushed out of the room, and composed himself in the hallway. Kain began walking towards the showers, to get that old man smell off him. When he was done, he went to the bed and took another nap.

"So how did you learn your, uh, abilities, have you always used them for our line of work?" Garath asked after the waiter had finished taking their order. Isabelle took a sip of water then spoke.

"Well, after the discovery of my abilities when I was younger, it was my father who helped me understand and improve upon them. It was a process that took several years for me to fully control the various elements at my command. It was around the time when I completed my training, that my father presented me with the sword I use today, he was the one that engraved the runes onto the blade that allow it to be enchanted. As for using them in our line of work, a majority of the time at the very least."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Uh, I should be going then. I'll see you around, and if you need a travel buddy for the Vatican, I'm sure I'll be free." Kain said as his cheeks went crimson coloured, and he quickly broke off the hug. He then rushed out of the room.

"Well, thanks for the offer then." Vayle said, all too knowing that she wouldn't get a response. She decided to see if there was any information regarding Hawke and the others down in the Division Two library. So after making sure her outfit was on straight, she went off in the pursuit of knowledge.

"Well, after the discovery of my abilities when I was younger, it was my father who helped me understand and improve upon them. It was a process that took several years for me to fully control the various elements at my command. It was around the time when I completed my training, that my father presented me with the sword I use today, he was the one that engraved the runes onto the blade that allow it to be enchanted. As for using them in our line of work, a majority of the time at the very least."

"So you've been hunting for most of your life?" he said, he wasn't sure how to take this, part of him felt bad that she'd been fighting for so long, while he had been doing so for far less time, another part was impressed by her dedication.

He took a drink of water, "I suppose you're from a clan of hunters then, I suppose your eyes and hair are family traits then?" he said, he realized it must be a huge responsibility to have the legacy of a clan of hunters to live up to.

Part of him wanted her to ask him about himself, or to bring up another subject of conversation, as much as he wanted to know more about her he felt like he was interrogating her with how many questions he was asking. Of course he didn't want to steer the conversation to being about himself though, he didn't want to seem full of himself.

"So you've been hunting for most of your life?"

"I guess when you put it like that I have, though it hasn't been my sole reason for being. I have a life outside of hunting demons, though given the nature of our work, there isn't a whole lot of time to pursue it; guess its one of the downsides of working for an organization such as ours, wouldn't you agree Garath?"

"I suppose you're from a clan of hunters then, I suppose your eyes and hair are family traits then?"

"I'd rather much call it a family of hunters then a clan; however, we have had other people become a part of it at times where we've needed a large number. And for the most part your right about the hair and eyes being family traits, although primarily its the hair colour that gets passed on between generations, changing from a lighter or darker shade every so often. The heterochromia eyes on the other hand? Well, I wouldn't call it a common trait, but I wouldn't necessarily call it rare either."

Isabelle was curious as to why Garath was asking all these questions about her. The more rational answer was that he simply wanted to get to know her better, a common thing to do in scenarios such as this. She decided to turn the tables as it were, and let her ask some questions.

"So then Garath, how did you get into magic then?"

"So then Garath, how did you get into magic then?"

"Well I've mentioned that my mother taught me the basics, though she taught me necromancy first, but I decided I liked illusions better, had to teach myself a lot from books, she only really knew the basics," he said, "Mostly used it for cheap tricks before I joined DICE, enhancing my stage routines and such, nothing as worthwhile as what you used it for."

He didn't want to seem like he was bragging about how he learned his magic, honestly Isabelle's magic's seemed more useful than his did.

He took another drink of water and, deciding that it might be amusing, used a simple spell to continue speaking, ventriloquism was always something he'd preffered to use magic to accomplish, he'd never gotten the hang of the mundane version of it, "I could teach you some of my magic if you want, later of course."

He finished his glass of water and set it down, the waiter would refill it when he brought their food.

When Richard sat down, he notice their was a roman numeral 6 inscribed into the table in front of him. Each man or woman had similar symbols in the space in front of them.

Col. Lin, head of Division 1, was the first to greet Richard, having noticed him from before.

"Johnson. Nice to see you again. I guess I'll introduce you to the club" He pointed at the woman in robes next to him. "This is Christina Noble. Head of Division 2. The old man with the beard is Mercer," He said continuing down the line. The next man at the D4 seat was dressed...a ninja outfit? It seemed totally absurd. "This guy is Captain Silver. The guy with the mask is Zhang the Maneater. And the man at the very end is Voltaire"
The bandaged man gave Richard a nod, and kept looking down at the table, deep in thought.

Richard hadn't noticed Voltaire, he had thought for sure that the seat at the end had been emply. Then again, it didn't really surprise him, nothing with Voltaire seemed to do anymore. Richard nodded, and smiled, although with a somewhat serious expression. He didn't have a lot to be tense about now, and he doubted he'd have a say in anything. "Hi, I'm Richard Johnson." Richard raised a hand slightly. These people seemed... well, off, but then again, he didn't really care about that. He just hoped they would get the meeting done with, he had a feeling it was going to be extremely uninteresting.

"Well I've mentioned that my mother taught me the basics, though she taught me necromancy first, but I decided I liked illusions better, had to teach myself a lot from books, she only really knew the basics." Garath said. "Mostly used it for cheap tricks before I joined DICE, enhancing my stage routines and such, nothing as worthwhile as what you used it for." He then took another drink, whilst still continuing to talk normally. "I could teach you some of my magic if you want, later of course." Garath then finished the water and set the now empty glass down on the table. Isabelle responded with a smile, then a brief clap of applause.

"Bravo Garath, never would of thought that you could do ventriloquism. I may take you up on that chance to learn, it can never hurt to expand one's repertoire of abilities. But of course I'd want to upstage you in that field. Tell me about these stage performances of yours then. I bet they were exciting to see." Isabelle asked with a look of curiosity.

Shadowstar38

A dark haired woman in a suit picked up a phone on her desk and punched the button labeled "6-1". After it was dialed into what she needed, she sent a message that was heard through most of the base.

"Aaron Petrition. Please report to Division 4 offices. Thank you."

She placed the phone down and sat in a chair in front of the man sitting in her office.

"Your partner will be with you shorty. Is their anything I can get for you while we wait?"

"Your partner will be with you shorty. Is their anything I can get for you while we wait?"
"No. I am fine. Thank you." Jean said after a moment. Translating English to French, responding and then translating the response from French back to english took a moment. He muddled through, although sometimes forgetting his manners.
He looked around a moment at the fairly austere office, and looked at insecurities. It was safe, he decided. A good sign.
He waited for his partner to arrive patiently.

"Bravo Garath, never would of thought that you could do ventriloquism. I may take you up on that chance to learn, it can never hurt to expand one's repertoire of abilities. But of course I'd want to upstage you in that field. Tell me about these stage performances of yours then. I bet they were exciting to see."

"Well I did your standard assortment of tricks, card tricks, producing items out of a hat, sawing someone in half, etcetera, and then I'd just tweak them a little with illusions, it was always fun to see the audience react to me pulling something out of a hat that was bigger than the hat," he said, smiling as he remembered his performances, "I once did the saw in half trick and then had my legs get up and run off without me, that had the crowd in stitches."

"Fire was always tricky to pull off though, its constantly moving and semi-transparent which is surprisingly hard to do with illusions," he continued, "I suppose if you want I could put together a show sometime, I still have a lot of my old props, be a bit odd to do a performance for one person but for you I'd be glad to make an exception."

"Aaron Petrition. Please report to Division 4 offices. Thank you."

Having recently laid down for a nap after chatting with Christina, Aaron woke up in what was not the best of moods. Finding the copy of Dune Messiah that he was reading earlier laying on his chest, he marked his spot and set it with his things. Still supremely sleepy, he donned his holsters and took his hat and coat off of the rack by the door, robing himself and walking through the door in a single yet clearly practiced motion. Striding down the hall while attempting to clear his head, Aaron checked his watch, discovering that he hadn't slept as much as he intended. Walking into the offices with nothing clearly wrong, he cheerfully greeted the person who called him there.

"Hello, Genna, any special tasks today?"

Glancing around the rest of the room, Aaron noticed a thin, pale man on the other side of the room whom he did not recognize. Turning back to Remes, Aaron stammered a reply:

"Genna, please tell me this isn't what I think it is."

Shadowstar38

Everyone responded to Richard in their own way, weather it was a hand wave or a polite verbal greeting. Everyone waiting for the final seat to be filled. A little while later, the final member of the meeting entered the room.

He was a black man in his late 70's. His hair had long since turned grey, and he was decked out in an all white suit. He took his place at the head of the table and smiled at everyone before speaking. His voice sounded very relaxing to everyone's ears.

"Good afternoon everyone. I thank you for being able to make it to this meeting. I'd also like to welcome Doctor Richard Johnson to his first DICE Head meeting. Welcome. I trust you're finding everything to your liking?"

"Genna, please tell me this isn't what I think it is."

"This is exactly what it looks like Aaron. You know we all have to pitch in and help along the new opratives whenever we need to. The Boss said your number is up"

She waved her hand over at the man in the seat.

"This is Jean. As of now, you'll be supervising his field training until he gets a handle on things"

"Good afternoon everyone. I thank you for being able to make it to this meeting. I'd also like to welcome Doctor Richard Johnson to his first DICE Head meeting. Welcome. I trust you're finding everything to your liking?"

Doctor? Oh, yeah, that was right, it had come with the position. Richard had never really cared about titles, his reasons for going to university back then had been information and opportunity, to research what he wanted to. Back then, it had been the human DNA. Richard nodded. "Yeah, everything's gone fine, thank you." He thought that was a bit short, so he added, tilting his head; "So, don't let me keep you waiting."

Eliezer watched in bemusement as the man he had so courteously opened the door for, leapt through without a word, a nod or a curtsey and dived for one on the surgical tables like he was trying to win a gold a medal at the Olympics. After all of what had happened recently it felt like another day at the office, he merely found a chair he could sit on and sat there as he watched the show. Next the man staged his reenactment of The Excorsist launching him self up onto the ceiling and only falling down once gravity came a calling leaving a bloody outline up there.

"Please keep this a secret eh? When I come back, my first words will be 'man and his slave.' If they aren't, please kill me. And could you keep an eye on me? I may move around. You know what, just lock this door."And then he fell unconscious, so much for all the fun.

"Sure, sure," He muttered to himself as he locked the door to the medical room, whatever inner demons this fellow was struggling with he was interested in seeing the end result. Although he was a bit uncertain whether he would go through and kill him, after all, he may turn out to be more fun then other humans. "Lets just keep this between us"

"This is Jean. As of now, you'll be supervising his field training until he gets a handle on things"
"Hello Aaron." Jean said. He looked the man up and down, twice. Rumpled and annoyed. The man seemed to have been woken up recently. He was wearing a strange suit, and had red eyes. He made Jean uncomfortable. "Good to be meeting you."
That didn't sound right. He thought for a moment, but drew a blank. English was a pointless language, he decided. Ugly and brutish compared to his native French.

"Well I did your standard assortment of tricks, card tricks, producing items out of a hat, sawing someone in half, etcetera, and then I'd just tweak them a little with illusions, it was always fun to see the audience react to me pulling something out of a hat that was bigger than the hat." Garath said, smiling as he remembered past performances that he had done. "I once did the saw in half trick and then had my legs get up and run off without me, that had the crowd in stitches." Isabelle listened with interest as she chuckled a little bit, thinking how that little incident would play out in her head. This had brought a courteous little smile to her face, though hopefully Garath didn't notice.

"Fire was always tricky to pull off though, its constantly moving and semi-transparent which is surprisingly hard to do with illusions." Garath continued. "I suppose if you want I could put together a show sometime, I still have a lot of my old props, be a bit odd to do a performance for one person but for you I'd be glad to make an exception."

"Fire can be a tricky element to control, the fact that even the smallest spark can cause damage is something to be concerned about. As for a private show, thats sounds rather exciting; seeing a magician like yourself at work."

"Are you serious, Genna? We both know what happens when new recruits are shafted immediately into D4; I know I certainly do. Besides, that's why we founded D5 in the first place: to decrease casualties in new recruits." Aaron shook his head in submissive defiance, well aware that he was fighting an uphill battle.

"Hello Aaron. Good to be meeting you."
Aaron turned around to greet the man. Based on some of his inflections, Jean was a native French speaker as well. Lovely, this is getting even more similar to my last partner. Aaron thought to nobody in particular. Aaron turned to greet his "partner" with a smile. "Well Jean, of the many things this meeting is, a pleasure is certainly one of them. Now, if you don't mind me asking, please tell me that you are hard to kill." His pay had only just reached the levels it was at before what happened to his last French partner, and Aaron wasn't eager to go through that again.

"Fire can be a tricky element to control, the fact that even the smallest spark can cause damage is something to be concerned about. As for a private show, thats sounds rather exciting; seeing a magician like yourself at work."

"I'll see if I can set something up sometime then," Garath said, smiling, with the amount of time he spent doing work for DICE he was a little out of practice with the more complicated tricks, but he was sure he could set up a simple routine.

Their food and drinks arrived, and Garath started eating, he was surprised by how hungry he was. The food was very good, or at least his dish was, he was glad Isabelle had chosen this resturant.

"So I'm sure you've got some interesting stories to tell, think you've got any that would be appropriate for this setting," he asked, then took a drink of wine.

"Well Jean, of the many things this meeting is, a pleasure is certainly one of them. Now, if you don't mind me asking, please tell me that you are hard to kill."
Jean stared at him blankly, slowly working through the mire of words. French was bad enough. English was worse. And this man seemed to be intentionally making long sentences.
After a moment, he pieced it together, as best he could. "More than some. Less than others. We will see." he said slowly, with a shrug.
"What are we to do?" he asked, turning to Jenna. He was fairly eager to begin. Training had been terrible, but he wanted to know everything he could about this secret world.

GM

"What are we to do?"

"Pretty simple one for your first gig"

Jenna handed a file to Aaron with everything that they needed in it.

"A number of hours ago, an agent went missing in America on a goodwill mission with the vatican. We need you to talk to however might know anything. And if possible, nail down his location"

Jenna turned to Jean.

"If you need weapons, there is an armory on the 3rd floor," She made a hand motion of shooting a gun and and a 3 with her hand. "You can stop their on the way out"

Don't let me stop you

The old man nodded and carried on with the briefing.

"As you all know from the latest update, those responsible for the recent springs of break ins at our facilities have been taken in or exterminated. However, this doesn't look to be the end of it"

He pushed a button on his chair, and a computer on the table displayed a holographic chart.

"Over the past 4 months, we've had over 60 fatalities of our agents. Usually, we'd assume our people were colateral damage. But after this attack by Zorrama, I'm starting to think this is part of a bigger plan. Simply put, I want everyone to start arming themselves. From the desk clerks to the janitors. Also, Richard. Do you know how far D6 has gotten on researching those parasites?"

"Over the past 4 months, we've had over 60 fatalities of our agents. Usually, we'd assume our people were colateral damage. But after this attack by Zorrama, I'm starting to think this is part of a bigger plan. Simply put, I want everyone to start arming themselves. From the desk clerks to the janitors. Also, Richard. Do you know how far D6 has gotten on researching those parasites?"

Richard looked up, he hadn't really been paying that much attention, but he had heard what the boss had said, so sighed. "Well, I was asked to give clearance for the body some hours ago, so I'd say that we'd start getting some real results right about now, give or take depending on how hard they've worked. I don't have anything I can give you yet, as it is procedure to check samples at least twice, especially in a case like this." Where had he heard this? Oh, yeah, that was right, his first day or so. Either way, he would have remembered it, as it was common sense to make sure your results weren't a coincidence or an accident. "I'd say we would have a bit more accurate information tomorrow." He probably knew something most others didn't about the thing with Zorrama, but he wasn't supposed to talk about that.

"Is that okay?" he did ask this, but truth was it didn't matter, as he couldn't give them more. That was what you got for making someone like him Head of D6. Richard glanced over the other heads, but he couldn't read their expressions. His eyes didn't linger on Voltaire, as he knew he wouldn't be able to read him either.

Christina was the only one that was visibly worried. Lin merely gave a raise of his eyebrow when Richard said nothing was ready yet, and the others merely say and waited for further instruction. The Leader chuckled at the oddity of Richard's question.

"Why yes. You're fine. They did only just get it after all" The leader then turned to the head of division 4. "Tell me Captain. Have you made any headway into the movements into the Solaris family"

"Plenty of little tidbits. But nothing we can use against them. The biggest thing we have is that one of their members went missing a few hours ago, but that's it"

"Fine. Fine. Have someone look into that as usual"

The leader kicked his feet up on the table and leaned back. "We'll need to be getting to the bottom of these attacks. But we need to focus on gathering information right now. That's really the only thing we can do. Zorrama was are first major break through. If anyone here finds out more from your people, don't hesitate to call an emergency meeting. If everyone's concerns are quelled, that will be all for now"

Everyone went silent, and Richard took that as a sign of there being nothing more to do, so he waited for the others to start leaving, before doing so himself. He was the first one out of the door, and he went to the cafeteria to eat some food, before heading for his bed and going to sleep. He slipped back into his pajamas, and underneath the duvet, falling asleep instantly, and not waking up until the morning.

GM

Zhang was done with the Division meeting, and was all set to go about his day. He decided to head to Division 2 to see about a certain someone that could help him with a problem of his.

That's when he saw a familiar face. Byron was what he thought his name was. He heard stories about the guy. While off putting to others, his skill might be useful for what he had in mind.

"Hey. Guy. Mind if we talk for a moment?"

"I'll see if I can set something up sometime then." Garath said smiling. It was soon after that their food and drink arrived, all of it was so well prepared, and it tasted so delicious; this was one of the most enjoyable meals that she had in a while, even more so because there was someone to share it with. The crisp flavour from the wine went well with the juiciness of the steak.

"So I'm sure you've got some interesting stories to tell, think you've got any that would be appropriate for this setting?" Garath asked as he took another sip of wine. This caused Isabelle to stop and think, taking her time with all the encounters she had over the years of her life; with so many to choose from, it was hard to think of which one would be 'appropriate'. After a moment of silence, Isabelle eventually found one.

"Here we are Garath, I think I have a story that might interest you, though I must warn you that I'm not that great a storyteller; so I apologise if it isn't exciting enough for you." Isabelle said with a nervous look on her face, as she began to weave her tale.

"Actually thinking about it, a few years ago, I actually received a letter from the two of them, with the good news that Yuna was with child." Isabelle said, ending on a happy note as she took another sip of wine.

"And there you go Garath, again, sorry if this story was what you were looking for or this has put a dampener on our evening, chalk it up to me not having to tell stories all that often."

Aaron Pertition
"A number of hours ago, an agent went missing in America on a goodwill mission with the vatican. We need you to talk to however might know anything. And if possible, nail down his location"

"Lovely, missing agents." Aaron accepted the folder and began to flip through the information, looking for any notable highlights. "No attacking the guy or sabotage, just finding the target?" After glancing at his new partner, Aaron wasn't sure that he wanted to wade into a fight of any kind while relying on this guy. His confidence wasn't bolstered by Genna making hand motions in Jean's direction to get her point across.

Byron Kelspring
"Hey. Guy. Mind if we talk for a moment?"

Byron trudged through the D2 hallway, heading back to his lab, as he had nothing else to do, and he couldn't sleep. When he was addressed, he reared his head around in a cautious but non-menacing manner. "Yeah, I'm a guy. What to you need to talk about?" The rest of him rotated to face the masked man, and while Byron recognized the mask, all he knew about its wearer was that he was important.

"If you need weapons, there is an armory on the 3rd floor," She made a hand motion of shooting a gun and and a 3 with her hand. "You can stop their on the way out"
Jean stared coldly at her. People making hand motions at him annoyed him to no end. He appreciated the sentiment, but it was needless. He simply took longer than most to get his words together, and to understand them. Hand motions did little to help or hurt his understanding.
"I know where. I was here before." he said simply. He had. They had given him a brief tour after basic. However, he left the questions to his new partner. He figure that a veteran would know which questions to ask better than he would.
Si vous les gens parlaient une langue moins barbare, peut-Ítre je pourrais comprendre plus facilement, he thought sullenly. He could already tell his partner didn't think much of him.

"And there you go Garath, again, sorry if this story was what you were looking for or this has put a dampener on our evening, chalk it up to me not having to tell stories all that often."

Garath listened to the tale with interest while he ate, he felt slightly offended when Isabelle said that he didn't look like he knew Japanese mythology, although she wasn't wrong about that. When she had finished he thought for a bit before speaking, "Not at all, it was a fascinating tale," he said, "It wasn't what I expected, but I'm not sure why you would think that a story with a happy ending would put a damper on the evening."

He looked down at his plate, there wasn't much left, and his wine glass was also nearly empty. He felt it was a bit creepy that the man had suggested his dead wife's body, but he thought that it was a good story nontheless.

"It is good to know that we do manage to do some good in the world," he said, glancing at Isabelle's plate to see how cose she was to finishing, "Even better to know that there are people we can talk about it with, I don't suppose you'd care for some dessert?" he finished.

"Not at all, it was a fascinating tale." Garath said, which made Isabelle feel better about the story. "It wasn't what I expected, but I'm not sure why you would think that a story with a happy ending would put a damper on the evening." He then noticed that there wasn't much left on his plate, even the wine glass was near empty. Isabelle continued eating whilst she told the story, so there wasn't much left on her plate.

"It is good to know that we do manage to do some good in the world."

"Yeah, I guess your right Garath. Its those moments that make our job worth it in some way." Isabelle said, pondering her words whilst finishing her glass of wine, and already thinking about pouring another for herself and Garath.

"Even better to know that there are people we can talk about it with, I don't suppose you'd care for some dessert?" Garath asked, noticing her plate was becoming empty.

"The moments when you can share your experiences with others are often the best times. As for dessert? Why not, after all it is a special occasion; but let us wait for a while first. Say how about since I have told you a story, it is your turn now Garath. Go on Garath, surely in your lifetime, you managed to have at at least an experience or two worthy of a story." Isabelle said with a suggestive wink as she poured out another glass of wine for the pair of them.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here