80% (24)
80% (24)
No
20% (6)
20% (6)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Songs of Death - A WW2 campaign based realistic RP Interest thread

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Welcome, ladies and gents. This attempt will include a tight, campaign based RP that will be divided into chapters, in which the players will be able to play as a different character or continue with the character they have played with, assuming he had survived through the last campaign and is eligible to participate in the next one. You will be playing in memorable and bloody campaigns and conflicts, including the Blitzkrieg of '39 over Poland, the Barbarossa operation, the conquest of France, the Normandy landing, the North African campaign in Algiers, The Greek-Axis campaign, The siege of Stalingrad, The oceanic front of Burma, Australian-Japanese conflict in Papua new-guinea, Iwo-Jima landing.
There are also options for covert campaigns such as the French resistance, the Polish and Ukrainian partisans.

If you have any suggestions for a campaign, you're more than welcomed to step forward.

How will we play this game? This will go in a chronological order, from the '39 Blitzkrieg to the fall of Japan. You will all play in groups of 4-6 players in either side of the conflict in a campaign. You will be members of the same unit and move together, so depending on the situation you might not have any other NPCs around or you're just half a dozen among sixty soldiers running for their lives. Females will be allowed only under special circumstances, as a few armies allowed females to be at the front lines and even then they were rarely simply riflemen (Red Army, fall of Nazi Germany). Your ranks will be mostly non-officers, though I will allow one player to play as the unit's officer if s/he produces a neat sheet. At the start of every campaign I will introduce the details, what you can play as and what will be your engagements. We will try and follow through historical lines and play through the battles, but certain historical inaccuracies are a given.

Injuries will be mostly severe, and in some cases you will not be saved. We will be using dice for some of our charges and attacks, though bear in mind that if you are among many other soldiers the chance of you getting shot will be lowered. For our comfort, we will use the English language whenever possible. We will keep count over magazines and bullets in certain cases, but rest assure that uncle Sam gave you enough ammunition to shoot down a whole barn (Can't say the same for others).

Each time we begin a campaign you will have a destination and goal to accomplish. If only one side is represented, things will get easier, but if two sides are here we might have PvP skirmishes, depending on the situation.

Some notes before I end this: Depiction of hardcore violence is advised to be put in a spoiler. We don't advocate genocide, attacking civilians and murdering POWs. Lets keep talk about the other side of this way out of the thread, please.

Before I go any further, I would like to hear your opinion on this.
Is this a good idea?
Do you have anything constructive to add?
Will you participate?

I, for one, would be willing to participate. While I think don't restricting genocide, murder, and other matters regarding the very dark aspects of war is a great idea, I'm glad that grotesque violence will be kept, even if in spoiler tags. I also like the idea of using dice, leaving almost everything to chance and removing temptation for people to leave "badass mode" on their characters at all times. Definitely makes PvP a hell of a lot fairer as well, if it ever comes to that.

All in all, I think this could work.

I think this is an awesome idea, and would love to be a part of this, but I do have a couple questions:

1. Would this be just infantry engagements, or will there be vehicular combat, say people being captains of ships in the Pacific, or squadrons fighting over the skies of Britain, or tank commanders in the Battle of Kursk? Although I would understand why this would not be, but nonetheless, a neat idea.

2. With this being a realistic RP, I'm assuming that chain-of-command will follow, but I'm just making sure. So is chain-of-command being strictly enforced, or are ranks there for the hell of it?

Grim327:
I think this is an awesome idea, and would love to be a part of this, but I do have a couple questions:

1. Would this be just infantry engagements, or will there be vehicular combat, say people being captains of ships in the Pacific, or squadrons fighting over the skies of Britain, or tank commanders in the Battle of Kursk? Although I would understand why this would not be, but nonetheless, a neat idea.

2. With this being a realistic RP, I'm assuming that chain-of-command will follow, but I'm just making sure. So is chain-of-command being strictly enforced, or are ranks there for the hell of it?

Hello, it's nice to see you're interested.
1. It depends on the campaign, but it can and will be done. I am contemplating between having you all man one armored tank and having each control a tank with its inhabitants. I don't think we will see much air-fighting, but we will see most of it in the oceanic front. It's hard for us to write an interesting battle if you're playing a mere sailor whose job is to put out fires whenever something goes boom on the ship, and controlling over 400 people seems like an overkill. I will say no to controlling ships - aircraft carriers or destroyers, no matter the type.
2. Yes it will. As you will all probably be the members of the same unit, one of you can be the commanding officer in charge or in absence of proper commanders one of you (with the highest Non-officer rank) can take over for a while. There will be team dynamics, as you won't all be riflemen. Expect to operate machine-guns and run from munitions station back to your mates before they run out and die.

I too wish to express interest towards this and I would definitely won't want to miss out on this type of RP so you can count me in.

I think it's a good idea and for the battles throughout WW2 will we have to submit a sheet for every new campaign or can there be recurring characters?

Speaking of campaign, will they be separated by arcs or will there be a new thread per new one?

Mr.Ivebeenframed:
I too wish to express interest towards this and I would definitely won't want to miss out on this type of RP so you can count me in.

I think it's a good idea and for the battles throughout WW2 will we have to submit a sheet for every new campaign or can there be recurring characters?

Speaking of campaign, will they be separated by arcs or will there be a new thread per new one?

Yes, you can have characters in reserve. If you have survived with the character for a whole campaign, you may use the character again in the next campaign (If the same side is present). You could use your German soldier in the Blitzkrieg and then later in the Siege of Stalingrad campaign, but you won't be able to use him in the pacific conflict.

I don't think its wise to start a new thread for each campaign, but we will see how it goes. We still don't know how long a campaign is, so when we're done with it we can figure out whether we should start a new thread or continue in this one.

I would also like to participate but can you answer me 2 things.

First, would I need a long 2 page bio just to gain entry ?

Secondly, who decides if the characters live or die in this campaign ?

And thirdly, yes I know I said two questions but still, Will there be any Saving Private Ryan moments ? (e.g. Final stands and choices regarding moral dilemmas)

Sounds intriguing. If there is space, I would fancy being included.

Yokillernick:
I would also like to participate but can you answer me 2 things.

First, would I need a long 2 page bio just to gain entry ?

Secondly, who decides if the characters live or die in this campaign ?

And thirdly, yes I know I said two questions but still, Will there be any Saving Private Ryan moments ? (e.g. Final stands and choices regarding moral dilemmas)

Hello!
My answers:
1. Nope. You're a young man, so a few key moments in your short 18 years of living could be summed up in 3-5 paragraphs. You can do more if you fancy that, but chances are the character will die.
2. The dice ,your actions and the actions of your peers.
3. There might be. I'm a sucker for those, so expect to see some, but don't think that it's all you're here to do.

Sounds good, If it starts up I'd like to join.

Just a question - how well researched are you in this subject matter?

Im not accusing you of being uninformed, god no, you probably know more than me. But Im just wondering?

awesomeClaw:
Just a question - how well researched are you in this subject matter?

Im not accusing you of being uninformed, god no, you probably know more than me. But Im just wondering?

I won't be basing the campaign story on this source material, so relax.

We will follow a certain line, including several skirmishes that will consist the campaign. Examples like the siege of Stalingrad will see most of the action in one area (well, duh), but the fight for each building is fierce and bloody, and more than ever melee weapons are used in close quarters.

Hmm, this tickles my fancy. I'm keen for it. WHAT HO, And all that.

Count me in. Sounds like fun.

I'll be working on our first campaign. Expect to see a character sheet and narration done at the end of the week (5-6 days). I'll warn you if I can't finish it in time. I'm currently contemplating the Blitzkrieg campaign. Expect to play as German Nazis in a motorized division.

So we're mostly likely going to be Wermacht soldiers then or are we going to be the savage SS?

Also dibs on being the MG-34 gunner. Now who wants to be my loader? :P

I would like to state my interest and ask a quick question. How will we be deciding who will be the commanding officer?

Dogmatic99:
I would like to state my interest and ask a quick question. How will we be deciding who will be the commanding officer?

First come first served basis, and the quality of the character sheets. To be frank, I don't like turning people down, so I hope you will be able to decide who will be the commanding officer. Otherwise, I'll have him be an NPC.

Mr.Ivebeenframed:
So we're mostly likely going to be Wermacht soldiers then or are we going to be the savage SS?

Also dibs on being the MG-34 gunner. Now who wants to be my loader? :P

We're on the front lines, so no killing Polish civilians for us.

I would like to put my name in for CO, but if someone else comes to have a better sheet than mine, then I would gladly let them take my spot.

When are we going to submit sheets anyway? Pretty excited for this :)

Mr.Ivebeenframed:
When are we going to submit sheets anyway? Pretty excited for this :)

Look up. I need to finish the campaign first.

TheIronRuler:
I'll be working on our first campaign. Expect to see a character sheet and narration done at the end of the week (5-6 days). I'll warn you if I can't finish it in time. I'm currently contemplating the Blitzkrieg campaign. Expect to play as German Nazis in a motorized division.

I am certainly interested in this and if I'm enlisted I'll do my damnedest to stay involved (I've had less then polite experiences of drifting away from RPs in the past)-I especially like the idea of PVP affairs!

Would we have to keep making new characters for campaigns in different theatres across the globe?

Geth Reich:
I am certainly interested in this and if I'm enlisted I'll do my damnedest to stay involved (I've had less then polite experiences of drifting away from RPs in the past)-I especially like the idea of PVP affairs!

Would we have to keep making new characters for campaigns in different theatres across the globe?

Yes you would, unless you want to withdraw from a certain campaign for a snack and a drink. I said that in some occasions you can carry over your living earlier character, and I'll tell you when that is possible. BTW, I'm planning to have a Polish front as well. You can also survive this Blitzkrieg and get to the Soviet Union and when the Russian offensive kicks in (also beforehand) you have the chance to play in the Red Army's Polish brigades with the same previous character.

TheIronRuler:

Geth Reich:

Yes you would, unless you want to withdraw from a certain campaign for a snack and a drink. I said that in some occasions you can carry over your living earlier character, and I'll tell you when that is possible. BTW, I'm planning to have a Polish front as well. You can also survive this Blitzkrieg and get to the Soviet Union and when the Russian offensive kicks in (also beforehand) you have the chance to play in the Red Army's Polish brigades with the same previous character.

So with the dice gods looking over us, it would be possible to have a character survive the war having participated in several major engagements (say, from Operation Barbarossa to Berlin)? Awesome!

How is it going to work when players are on opposite sides during the same campaign?

Geth Reich:

TheIronRuler:

Geth Reich:

So with the dice gods looking over us, it would be possible to have a character survive the war having participated in several major engagements (say, from Operation Barbarossa to Berlin)? Awesome!

How is it going to work when players are on opposite sides during the same campaign?

Please read the whole thread.
There will be a group on either, or both sides, depending on the number of available players in every campaign.

TheIronRuler:

Geth Reich:

TheIronRuler:

There will be a group on either, or both sides, depending on the number of available players in every campaign.

I have done-all good, all good indeed.

One final question: you've said incidents such as genocide and killing POWs are no-go. Can these be referenced, e.g. "I heard from a private in Baker company the Nips rounded up a bunch of cooks and medics from the 309th and walked them into a minefield: you really think they could do something like that?"?

Geth Reich:

TheIronRuler:

Geth Reich:

One final question: you've said incidents such as genocide and killing POWs are no-go. Can these be referenced, e.g. "I heard from a private in Baker company the Nips rounded up a bunch of cooks and medics from the 309th and walked them into a minefield: you really think they could do something like that?"?

I would advise against doing that.

TheIronRuler:

Geth Reich:

TheIronRuler:

I would advise against doing that.

Fair enough, I'll RP like its a Commando comic. Except that both sides will be comprised of humans, not caricatures.

I suggest the name be changed to Dirges of Death for alliteration fun.

I'm still interested in this. Due to time constraints, however, I might only participate in a couple of instances.

Also, and I quote:

"One final question: you've said incidents such as genocide and killing POWs are no-go. Can these be referenced, e.g. "I heard from a private in Baker company the Nips rounded up a bunch of cooks and medics from the 309th and walked them into a minefield: you really think they could do something like that?"

To which you answer:

"I would advise against doing that."

Why exactly? While it's not a dealbreaker for me if I don't get to perform atrocious crimes against humanity in this RP, I'd like to know why you're avoiding one of the more defining characteristics of the war. Do I sense a personal issue here? And for the record, I understand and respect your decision if this is true.

I don't think it's a good idea to have rpg games derived from real events. Alternate history is fine, even generalized period pieces. But WWII was a real war, with actual lives, and was one of the most horrific periods in human history. The people who experienced it sacrificed more than you and I can imagine to make sure we were never subject to a tyrannical dictatorship. As much as we should jest about the past, I still think it should have at least more sanctity than to be sandwiched between pony threads.

JdaS:
I'm still interested in this. Due to time constraints, however, I might only participate in a couple of instances.

Also, and I quote:

"One final question: you've said incidents such as genocide and killing POWs are no-go. Can these be referenced, e.g. "I heard from a private in Baker company the Nips rounded up a bunch of cooks and medics from the 309th and walked them into a minefield: you really think they could do something like that?"

To which you answer:

"I would advise against doing that."

Why exactly? While it's not a dealbreaker for me if I don't get to perform atrocious crimes against humanity in this RP, I'd like to know why you're avoiding one of the more defining characteristics of the war. Do I sense a personal issue here? And for the record, I understand and respect your decision if this is true.

War is terrible. What is most terrible in war is exactly not what you see in the battlefield you play in countless FPS games. The things done to people by others that are not shown there are horrible. Even the aftermath in the form of a mass brother's grave doesn't bear a candle to the cruelty a person can inflict - and that person does not inflict it on a combatant that can kill him in retaliation, but a person. A helpless person that his sole crime was being born. The things you will do if you join this RP are sanctioned by your state. You are willing, or in some instances - forced, to participate. This, however, is usually besmirched with a true lining of cruelty. Trust me when I tell you that the things I won't allow in the RP have no place in a battlefield, and have no place in this RP. I cringe at the thought of seeing an RP depicting prisoners or war in a camp, or prisoners of the state in one of the many concentration camps in occupied Poland.

Asclepion:
I don't think it's a good idea to have rpg games derived from real events. Alternate history is fine, even generalized period pieces. But WWII was a real war, with actual lives, and was one of the most horrific periods in human history. The people who experienced it sacrificed more than you and I can imagine to make sure we were never subject to a tyrannical dictatorship. As much as we should jest about the past, I still think it should have at least more sanctity than to be sandwiched between pony threads.

Would you feel better if I had used the second Boer War? Would you feel better if I had used the Iran-Iraq war? Would you feel any better if any of the combatants there were unrelated to you, and you didn't care about these people at all? Then would you have accepted an RP with WAR as its centerfold?

I do not want to take light of this war; I have had my family affected greatly from it.
The USSR and USA after the war had installed their fair share of autocracies in the form of Communism and Fascism they fought against so bravely at the time - it was a war of aggression and the rest finally pushed back, that's all.

I am VERY interested. PLEASE make this happen.

TheIronRuler:
snappety

Very well. I see your point.

TheIronRuler:
Would you feel better if I had used the second Boer War?

Not really.

TheIronRuler:
Would you feel better if I had used the Iran-Iraq war?

No.

TheIronRuler:
Would you feel any better if any of the combatants there were unrelated to you, and you didn't care about these people at all?

All humans are related to you. All life on Earth is related. If you mean, "divergent from your genetic line and outside your small sphere of perception", then the answer is still no.

TheIronRuler:
Then would you have accepted an RP with WAR as its centerfold?

Yes. And it is possible to have one without giving frivolity to the events.

You can do whatever you want. I hope you at least understand what I'm voicing- it would be so easy to screw this up, to make some fantasy version that mocks it. History is something beyond the vein of fictional constructs that exist only as synapses in the people who read about them.

I haven't seen a great deal from this forum that has really impressed me, but if you understand what you're getting into, then I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked