Shadowrun: Death Valley (Open- signup)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

@MortifiedPenguin: Whenever. We're just getting everyone together.

@Asclepion: I've edited so it says she's got a fake SIN, I just thought that was a given really. So I guess I should wait for a little into thing then.

@MortifiedPenguin: If you want, we could just say that you're already there when everyone else arrives.

@MortifiedPenguin: If you want, I could write up a quick post of Jade running into her outside the building, so you've got a starting point.

@3quency: That could work, I could always just add in a bit that she got offered the job by one of her contacts.

Okay, have written a post in which you make an appearance Mort. I can edit that part out if you want to show up in a different way, but I've written like you were here already.

Asclepion:
hmm this looks like an interesting thread this will do nicely anyway my sheet here we go hope it's okay

I don't think Shadowrun has Time-Travel. Closest thing to it is the Immortal Elves, and that's just more a case of having lived through all the time in between.

3quency:
snip

ok? think think what if david just teleports by mistake and ends up on shadowrun?

David Woon:

3quency:
snip

ok? think think what if david just teleports by mistake and ends up on shadowrun?

Just a couple of small issues I noticed;

Teleportation doesn't exist in Shadowrun (it makes runs too easy). I'm personally okay with teleportation in my games, so long as you put in a restriction of some sort (must know the place well, only between a limited number of per-defined places, etc) - just to keep it from making the challenges the GM gives out trivial.

Time travel doesn't exist strictly speaking, but as long as its a one way trip or requires significant time or resources (to prevent it from being used as a defense in combat) it's not really a big deal. Keep in mind magic didn't exist in the Shadowrun world in 1866 (It came back into the world in 2012 when the Mayan calendar ticked over to the next b'ak'tun. That means that the time travel effect either had to be from the future or, as you meantioned, a different universe. Also, keeping time travel a secret should be very important to you - else most of the mega-corps will be trying to capture you and use you as a test subject. I can imagine S-K hunting you down with tremendous force and speed so they can gain the temporal advantage (also, when your company is led by a dragon, you tend to get what you want)

One of Birdfalcon's aliases is the "The Black Knight"; this could cause some confusion.

If he is a straight-arrow lawman... Why on earth would he want to be a criminal like a shadowrunner? This one is a question, not necessarily an issue.

In any event: all this is subject to Asclepion's decision, so my word is far from law.

hiei82:

Just a couple of small issues I noticed;

Teleportation doesn't exist in Shadowrun (it makes runs too easy). I'm personally okay with teleportation in my games, so long as you put in a restriction of some sort (must know the place well, only between a limited number of per-defined places, etc) - just to keep it from making the challenges the GM gives out trivial.

Time travel doesn't exist strictly speaking, but as long as its a one way trip or requires significant time or resources (to prevent it from being used as a defense in combat) it's not really a big deal. Keep in mind magic didn't exist in the Shadowrun world in 1866 (It came back into the world in 2012 when the Mayan calendar ticked over to the next b'ak'tun. That means that the time travel effect either had to be from the future or, as you meantioned, a different universe. Also, keeping time travel a secret should be very important to you - else most of the mega-corps will be trying to capture you and use you as a test subject. I can imagine S-K hunting you down with tremendous force and speed so they can gain the temporal advantage (also, when your company is led by a dragon, you tend to get what you want)

One of Birdfalcon's aliases is the "The Black Knight"; this could cause some confusion.

If he is a straight-arrow lawman... Why on earth would he want to be a criminal like a shadowrunner? This one is a question, not necessarily an issue.

In any event: all this is subject to Asclepion's decision, so my word is far from law.

he doesn't want to be a criminal and he's not going to be. ok i'll change it to The Marshal how that? and i got my powers from being in The Pub and The Mall anyway i'll make teleporting very limited and only for combat i got Chaos so i get around and time traveling if i get in it's going to be a one way trip until i get enough energy to leave

David Woon:
he doesn't want to be a criminal and he's not going to be.

So why is he a Shadowrunner? Shadowrunner's commit crimes for profit - that's the job description. Sure some do it as a way to fight against a broken system, but regardless of the reason behind running, he/she is still breaking laws.

Heck, the story begins with the group invited to a Yakuza (Japanese mafia) party so we can be hired by them for some undefined task.

Edit: still not the GM, you don't have to change anything.

We should probably hold this conversation off until Asclepion gets online.

hiei82:

David Woon:

So why is he a Shadowrunner? Shadowrunner's commit crimes for profit - that's the job description. Sure some do it as a way to fight against a broken system, but regardless of the reason behind running, he/she is still breaking laws.

Heck, the story begins with the group invited to a Yakuza (Japanese mafia) party so we can be hired by them for some undefined task.

he isn't a Shadowrunner

David Woon:

hiei82:

David Woon:

he isn't a Shadowrunner

But that's the point of this RP, all the characters are shadowrunners being offered a job by the Yakuza.

David Woon:
snip

MortifiedPenguin:
snip

3quency:

@3quency: Agreed.

MortifiedPenguin:

But that's the point of this RP, all the characters are shadowrunners being offered a job by the Yakuza.

ok but i'm playing someone who just fell into this world and i will probably end up destroying the gangs

hiei82:

David Woon:
snip

MortifiedPenguin:
snip

3quency:

@3quency: Agreed.

very well

David Woon:
Woon, learn to snip

Not the mall, not the pub, not even close to connected to those.

Ryans Solution:

David Woon:
Woon, learn to snip

Not the mall, not the pub, not even close to connected to those.

oh it's you hello Ryan been a while and i don't need to take lessons from you

Wow, everyone. Thanks for self-regulating.

@David Woon: Shadowrun is of the cyberpunk genre, and cyberpunk works are often set in oppressive societies. In the Shadowrun world, many 'laws' are made by megacorporations, which are more powerful than governments. Lawmen are more often than not branches of a major corp - ie, Lonestar.

Beyond that though, your premise is just too out there. Mind you- we've had adolescent girls who turn into giant insects, robots in human form and orcs who drive battle semis. But all of them have still fit with the universe Shadowrun tries to portray. Suspension of disbelief is a thing. It's something every DM struggles against. Yeah, you're just a lot of assholes clustered around and pretending to be elves, but it's the DM's job to immerse you and make you feel like you're actually doing something fun instead of just faffing about.

When someone comes to the table with something THAT far out of left-field, it makes the DM's job unspeakably hard. People tend to pay attention to the oddity that sticks out, and instead of being a game about the cyberpunk-magic fringe of the future, it becomes a game about Dr. Who re-enacting Red Dead Redemption as a one-man show.

Basically what I'm saying is that playing this character would kill the DM's ability to control the tone and mood of the game, even if you played it dead straight.

If you are new to Shadowrun, I would suggest playing a more base archetype. We are always open to help.

Asclepion:
Wow, everyone. Thanks for self-regulating.

@David Woon: Shadowrun is of the cyberpunk genre, and many cyberpunk works are set in oppressive states. In the Shadowrun world, many 'laws' are made by megacorporations, which are more powerful than governments. Lawmen are more often than not branches of a major corp - ie, Lonestar.

Beyond that though, your premise is just too out there. Mind you- we've had adolescent girls who turn into giant insects, robots in human form and orcs who drive battle semi trucks. But all of them have still fit with the universe Shadowrun tries to portray. Suspension of disbelief is a thing. It's something every DM struggles against. Yeah, you're just a lot of assholes clustered around and pretending to be elves, but it's the DM's job to immerse you and make you feel like you're actually doing something fun instead of just faffing about.

When someone comes to the table with something THAT far out of left-field, it makes the DM's job unspeakably hard. People tend to pay attention to the oddity that sticks out, and instead of being a game about the cyberpunk-magic fringe of the future, it becomes a game about Dr. Who re-enacting Red Dead Redemption as a one-man show.

Basically what I'm saying is that playing this character would kill the DM's ability to control the tone and mood of the game, even if you played it dead straight.

If you are new to Shadowrun, I would suggest playing a more base archetype. We are always open to helping players.

oh ok i guess i didn't read it properly anyway so yeah

Should i change my history a bit, instead of my "find Laura" job, i would change it to that i'd have gotten a job offer that everybody else has? And i would be heading there and everything would fit nicely together.

@Everyone: I'm working on the post. In the meantime, some other stuff has come up.

Terratina.:

Asclepion:

Terratina.:
The small private room appeared to have its own miniature dragon. The cigar smoke created the illusion that this drake-thing was ready to unleash fiery fury on any person foolish enough to let loose a wirecrack.

That was badass. I hadn't realized that.

+1 to the Badass Moments of the Death Valley RP Counter then.

There really should be one, methinks.

Terratina has suggested keeping a counter of badass game moments. I like the idea, as long as it doesn't get out of hand with people trying to one-up each other. What do you think?

MortifiedPenguin:
Hey,

Just wondering if they'll be a user group for OOC and asking about lore stuff.

I usually find the signup thread works for OOC, and there's no real reason to spread all the messages around. But we're in this together, so I'll have everyone else say what they think.

:)

@Asclepion We should probably get a group, at some point anyway. Also I like the idea of a badass counter.

A group might be an idea, it sends out alerts whenever somebody's talking so hearing news is a little easier.

But then again that's just me being lazy.

You know where you could put the "Badass moments counter", on the user groups front page :P

Name and/or Alias: Adam Darkhel/ 'Spector'
Age & Gender: 22, Male
Race: Human
Height & Weight: 6 ft, 190 lbs

Type: Sneaky-Stabby "Public Icon"
Public Appearance: Adam is a man who will never be seen under-dressed. Sporting at least a casual blazer with matching pants, shoes and fedora at all times, Adam is seen at high-class events and always looks the part. Clean, smooth black hair and a lightly tanned body make him quite a sight to behold, as if he were a movie star.

On The Job Attire: Spector is a man who could never be called 'unsuited' for a low-profile job. Spector foregoes the flashy suits of Adam's wardrobe and instead opts for some dark-colored vestments and pants with sturdy, if frumpy, shoes. Part of Spector's face will always be obscured, whether it's a hood, scarf or mask.

History: Adam always wanted to be an actor. When he was growing up, the world was just getting back on it's feet, and he actually found a job in some (comparatively) low-budget SIM dramas. Along the way, Adam met a man named Daniel Masters. Daniel was a NeoNET PR guy, and hired Adam to do some commercials and such catering to the cult following Adam was building at the time. While this launched Adam's public career, Daniel also showed him the world of the Shadowrunners.

Doing some odd jobs for Daniel, Adam realized he had a talent for this kind of work. So he began to craft a second-life, and with Daniel's help, became the elusive 'Spector'.

Reason to be here/things to do: Adam has no business in that underhanded world, why would you even ask such a thing?

Spector, on the other hand, likes the satisfaction. He likes sneaking up and stabbing someone without them ever knowing, or stealing data before his marks know what's gone.

Personality: Adam is a very charismatic, if loud man. He's friendly and approachable, and is always willing to work with you.

Spector is cold as ice. Never saying many words, taking care not to be seen, and seemingly always after money, Spector is a man who will do his job and go home. No frills, no friendliness.

Notable skills: Adam/Spector

Confidant- In everything he does, Adam is sure he is right in doing it and acts accordingly.
Roman History Buff- From Aristocles to Zeus, he knows almost everything there is to know about the Romans.

Quiet-Can sprint for his life without making a sound, due to a large amount of experience and a little body-altering.
Invisibility- Can become invisible for up to five seconds. Cannot run quietly and be invisible at the same time.

Equipment: Silenced Sniper Rifle with Matrix-enabled Scope, and an old enchanted dagger of Dan's that never breaks or becomes dull, with a blade as black as the night itself. Spector has a dyed set of black leather armor under his clothes, enchanted to stop bullets.

Adam has just his Armani suits and Matrix-Avatior shades to his name, barring the occasional bullet-proof vest for more hairier events.

Contacts: Daniel, being a PR guy, helps a long way into having a good standing with NeoNET. Also helps defect suspicion in case 'Spector' is at rick of being discovered.

Other: This character is based off of having a double life, thoughts as to how that would go?

Okay, I'm thread-spamming a little. Sorry about that, haven't had much to do in the last couple of days.

3quency:
Jade watches the Tanaka leave. Since the cases are still here it looks like he'll be paying in advance. Interesting.

It's going to be really interesting when some troll shoves your head through the Yakuza boss's aquarium after you grab their money.

And all the businessmen hear it while the Tanaka is on stage in front of everyone.

...actually that would be interesting.

Asclepion:

3quency:
Jade watches the Tanaka leave. Since the cases are still here it looks like he'll be paying in advance. Interesting.

It's going to be really interesting when some troll shoves your head through the Yakuza boss's aquarium after you grab their money.

And all the businessmen hear it while the Tanaka is on stage in front of everyone.

...actually that would be interesting. But alas.

It would be pretty fantastic.

Asclepion:

3quency:

...actually that would be interesting.

Hey hey hey, honest misunderstanding here. If he will just walk away from his two cases of money with hungry shadowrunners around...

@MortifiedPenguin: Jade grabs the money and a troll shoves her head through the aquarium. Water and exotic fish spill onto the floor. The troll gets shot, the man who contracted you also gets shot, and the Yaks attack the party with katanas. Everyone dies and the battle is dragged out onto the podium. The Bogies, hearing their master inside, burst from the truck and go charging in. Spirits summoned by Mondaine before he was killed go rampaging through the crowd. The Tanaka watches in shock. TPK. Campaign lasted two pages. End.

Moral: Don't invite Shadowrunners to your corporate event.

XD

@3quency: The Tanaka leaves, but there's still Yakuza all over. The money isn't just lying unguarded.

Well it sure is a good thing she hasn't actually made a motion towards the money then XD

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked