Veneficus Terminus - A Magical Adventure RP (CLOSED, NOT STARTED)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

A week will pass and the source will reveal itself in a physical form, allowing one person the earth deems fit to ask an ultimate question. Magic isn't commonplace on earth - its practices are restricted to small families and communities all over the world that devoted themselves to tapping into the source and using its energy in different ways. Each house bears its own distinct mark and way of magic, from the Alchemists mystical potions to the Voodoo priest's deals with the Loa. The energy of the source manifests itself in many different ways, ways that come true due to the people who envision them. As such, newer forms of magic have been created over the recent decades, and although they have not been recognized as proper houses they still produce fierce magicians in their own right.

Every decade the source reveals itself in physical form and allows one person to ask it a question, whatever it may be. The source, being the bearer of knowledge on Earth will answer the truth and nothing but the truth. It was many centuries ago that the first fight over the source began, after the elder magic house held onto the source for generations of research. As time went on and more houses were recognized into the earth's magician community new rules were set in stone for a tournament to determine which house is more deserving of a real answer from the source.

Each house will present up to two candidates for the tournament. The candidates can end up fighting each other, in which case the law prohibiting deadly blows is removed and the fight will commence to the death or if one concedes the fight before it begins. In an ordinary fight a representative of one of the seven houses must not be killed. If a magician uses a killing blow or does inflict mortal injury he will be expelled from the tournament and triad for his crimes. The fights will work in an elimination round technique and the winner will be able to claim the reward at the end of the tournament. There will be an audience watching via magic, but the arena will most likely be a scarcely populated area in the world that falls under the jurisdiction of the hosting house.

A dark cloud still rests atop the tournament - None of the adults had forgotten what transpired three decades ago. It was the third time a magician from a Fringe group won the tournament, but the question he had asked rocked the very foundations of the magical community. It was the reason why the group had been exterminated and all of its writings destroyed, a question so terrible nobody wanted to know the answer.

"How do I end the source?"

The current competition is held at the Catholic House's home field in Western Europe and will begin in London, where the guests are invited to a theater from which the tournament will begin and they will observe the fight.

Please delete this post.

Sorry, pressed quote instead of edit.

Please delete this post.

I think I will work on a fringe group on this one. Transmutation is always a fun magic to work with so Fringe looks like my deal.

drmigit2:
I think I will work on a fringe group on this one. Transmutation is always a fun magic to work with so Fringe looks like my deal.

Remember you can be a cadet house or a fringe group. As a fringe group you can have a long history, or you can be a one man army. Its all up to you. When you do a fringe group you better make it awesome because it'll be harder to get in for them. You should also add the relationship of the fringe group with the other houses and where is their sphere or if they have none where is their base.

Name: Mahia Hakeke
Arena Name: Maero
Race: New Zealand Maori
Nationality: New Zealand
Appearance: Large and physically imposing, with numerous scars. He has dark brown eyes and a shaved head. Large portions of his body are covered in intricate tatoos, some tribal and some magical in nature.

House: New-Age American, due to his forceful induction when young.

Magical Ability: Expert at mind trickery, adept illusionist and diviner. Some small skill in elemental magic, with particular emphasis on water, especially sea water. Has a tiny bit of training in restoration. He tires quickly from extended use of magic, however, and his beliefs tie his hands as to how much magic he can use.

Familial State: Four brothers and three sisters, but the only one who inherited his mother's penchant for magic. He is in love from afar with a certain gentleman, a trainer in illusion for his house, but knows he has to have children to continue the magical bloodline.

Expertise: Due to his tribal family, Mahia is a considerable physical fighter, and can hunt and fish like a proper wild man, though due to being taken from his tribe to be trained as a magician, he is somewhat less wild than most of his kinsfolk.

Physical Weakness: Thanks to an unfortunately incident with a shark, he left elbow is banged up pretty badly. He can't move it very quickly, and it causes him quite a bit of discomfort on rainy days. He is obviously not excited about going to England. (To wit: he had been fishing on a bay near his village when his boat sprung a leak, and he had to swim to shore. Smelling the blood of the fish he had already caught, a shark investigated. It got a little too curious, and Mahia had tried to punch it's nose. He ended up putting his arm right into the mouth of the shark.)

Biography: Born among one of the few Maori tribes remaining true to the old ways, Mahia was raised in a world without technology. His mother was the tribe's healer and shaman, having been trained by a "house" she spoke of only occasionally. His childhood was mostly idyllic. They were left alone, mostly. There were few tribes to compete with for food and territory, so most of the combat training he received was hypothetical. His mother taught him some elemental magic she had devised herself, and his father, the chief taught him to fight with a mere pounamu, a club of greenstone that could easily kill with one blow, though he never used it.
However, when Mahia was twelve, the New-Age American house sent out a few magicians to look for their M.I.A. agent, who had disappeared twenty years earlier while experimenting in chronomancy. Their questioning eventually pointed them towards the Maori village. Discovering Mahia's mother's research hadn't panned out, they took Mahia as insurance that she wouldn't drop off the radar again, and had the boy trained in their style. Sent with his father's weapon and the magic his mother could teach him, he set out to the world he never dreamed existed.
Once he was taken by the house, he was apprenticed to a certain eccentric defector from the Arabian house who disliked technology, leading the elders to believe the two would be a good fit. He taught Mahia a small amount of healing, as well as the magic typical of the New-Age American. In addition to this, when Mahia was seventeen, five years into his training, he met an illusionist who was willing to teach him. Though he had no interest in illusion, he was smitten by the man. So he learned rather a lot more magic than most people in the house, and he was really very good at it. However, due to his tribal beliefs in mana and the tapu nature of magic he is restricted in how much magic he can perform at any given time.
When the tournament rolled around, Mahia had been training to be a master of the house. He volunteered for the tournament, citing a tribal proclivity towards violence, and a superior exemplification of the house's magic as reasons for him representing the house. The elders agreed, with some hesitance. He has no personal agenda for what to ask the Source, intending to simply follow the elders' wishes. He does have a spark of curiosity, however, and there are fears he may decided on a different question than what he is told to ask.

Other notes: He doesn't take well to insults to his heritage, and he is vastly underexperienced with technology, due to his ancient and eccentric mentor's dislike of it. However, this is not crippling, though he has never been away from relatively pastoral New Zealand. His family is safe in their village, though he worries about the tribe as whole, as they no longer have a healer or shaman since his mother died. However, his life there seems a distant memory most of the time. He was still a tribal when the Fringe champion asked his fateful question, and the other two he was too busy to watch much of, so he knows only a little of what the competition is.

SamtheDeathclaw:

Name: Mahia Hakeke
Arena Name: Maero
Race: New Zealand Maori
Nationality: New Zealand
Appearance: Large and physically imposing, with numerous scars.
House: New-Age American

Magical Ability: Expert at mind trickery, adept illusionist and divination. Some small skill in elemental magic, with particular emphasis on water. Has a tiny bit of training in restoration.

Familial State: Four brothers and three sisters, but the only one who inherited his mother's penchant for magic. He is in love from afar with a certain gentleman, but knows he has to bear children to continue the magical bloodline.

Expertise: Due to his tribal family, Mahia is a considerable physical fighter, and can hunt and fish like a proper wild man.

Physical Weakness: Thanks to an unfortunately incident with a shark, he left elbow is banged up pretty badly. He can't move it very quickly, and it causes him quite a bit of discomfort on rainy days. He is not excited about going to England.

Biography: Born among one of the few Maori tribes remaining true to the old ways, Mahia was raised in a world without technology. His mother was the tribe's healer and shaman, having been trained by her father. However, somehow the New-Age American magicians learned of Mahia and his mother's abilities, and had the boy trained in their magics instead of his mother's. When the tournament rolled around, Mahia had been training to be considered a master. He volunteered for the tournament, citing a tribal proclivity towards violence, and a superior exemplification of the house's magic as reasons for him representing the house. The elders agreed, with some hesitance. He has no person agenda for what to ask the Source, intending to simply follow the elders' wishes. He does have a spark of curiosity, however, and there are fears he may decided on a different question.

Other notes: He doesn't take well to insults to his heritage, and he is vastly underexperienced with technology. His family is safe in their village, though he worries about the tribe as whole, as they no longer have a healer or shaman since his mother died. However, his life there seems a distant memory most of the time. He was still a tribal when the Fringe champion asked his fateful question, and the other two he was too busy to watch much.

Oh, darn it. I think that whenever you don't see any it's the default - our normal modern day world. Magic of this caliber isn't common knowledge and most people who practice it aren't really in touch with the source. Some of which can get in touch with it but often they won't understand how to continue.

About your sheet - I can see it working, but to be honest this belongs more in Voodoo or a sub-set of Voodoo since its shamanistic magic. New Age American is mostly popular culture of the last century related - psychics, deals with the devil and all of that good stuff that received a relative "boom" of popularity. With so many people envisioning this, the once fringe groups formed together into one bond. I don't see how they would have found him in the Australia wilderness.

Further remarks - I would like to see some more description of your character and his appearance. He is quiet talented and the magic selection looks fine (Almost too much, just almost).

I advise to expand the Biography section much more. The Shark incident is... intriguing, but you might want to reconsider that and replace it with another nasty cause for your old injury. Who is this man he is interested in? What is their relationship? Is he his master, his peer, someone from his tribe?

TheIronRuler:

Oh, darn it. I think that whenever you don't see any it's the default - our normal modern day world. Magic of this caliber isn't common knowledge and most people who practice it aren't really in touch with the source. Some of which can get in touch with it but often they won't understand how to continue.

About your sheet - I can see it working, but to be honest this belongs more in Voodoo or a sub-set of Voodoo since its shamanistic magic. New Age American is mostly popular culture of the last century related - psychics, deals with the devil and all of that good stuff that received a relative "boom" of popularity. With so many people envisioning this, the once fringe groups formed together into one bond. I don't see how they would have found him in the Australia wilderness.

Further remarks - I would like to see some more description of your character and his appearance. He is quiet talented and the magic selection looks fine (Almost too much, just almost).

I advise to expand the Biography section much more. The Shark incident is... intriguing, but you might want to reconsider that and replace it with another nasty cause for your old injury. Who is this man he is interested in? What is their relationship? Is he his master, his peer, someone from his tribe?

A throw away reference, of course! Yeah, I'll work on it. Just kind of hammered out on a rainy day I guess. (And what other animal is a Maori going to come into? I just put a shark in because those ridiculous looking swords the Maori make. Karma and all that.)
The thing with the house is that he's from New Zealand and was inducted involuntarily in this draft. If that couldn't really happen, or if he could change houses, I'll fix it to your satisfaction. And as for the how he was found, his mother wasn't always a tribal and they eventually tracked down their old M.I.A. magician.

SamtheDeathclaw:

TheIronRuler:

A throw away reference, of course! Yeah, I'll work on it. Just kind of hammered out on a rainy day I guess. (And what other animal is a Maori going to come into? I just put a shark in because those ridiculous looking swords the Maori make. Karma and all that.)
The thing with the house is that he's from New Zealand and was inducted involuntarily in this draft. If that couldn't really happen, or if he could change houses, I'll fix it to your satisfaction. And as for the how he was found, his mother wasn't always a tribal and they eventually tracked down their old M.I.A. magician.

To avoid further confusion, write down your magnificent bio that will include all of those details and then I'll see if you've had any missteps.

TheIronRuler:

To avoid further confusion, write down your magnificent bio that will include all of those details and then I'll see if you've had any missteps.

Well I didn't want it to be absurdly long! But yeah. Working on expanding it a.s.a.p.

SamtheDeathclaw:

TheIronRuler:

Well I didn't want it to be absurdly long! But yeah. Working on expanding it a.s.a.p.

Three to Five paragraphs would do. Bear in mind that the longer you've lived the (most probably) more stuff you've done and been through.

TheIronRuler:

Three to Five paragraphs would do. Bear in mind that the longer you've lived the (most probably) more stuff you've done and been through.

Some stuff is fixed/changed/added, but give me a little while for the bio. Eating dinner and stuff.
EDIT: Holy cow I screw up the formatting something awful. Fixed, I hope.
EDIT numero dos: Nope. Now, maybe?

TheIronRuler:
]

I rewrote it. Still not especially happy with it, but it's serviceable.

SamtheDeathclaw:

-snip-

I really need to point this out - He was taken form his home at age 12.
That's 23 years to be around technology.

TheIronRuler:

Oh man I really should have caught that.
.. This has required an inordinate amount of fixing on my part and I am terribly sorry for that. :|

SamtheDeathclaw:

TheIronRuler:

Oh man I really should have caught that.
.. This has required an inordinate amount of fixing on my part. :|

I understand what you set out to do, which is why I offer you an option to play as a member of the house of Voodoo with some alterations to your bio and appearance.

Nevertheless you should make up your own damned mind. Good luck. Please post the next Sheet in a new post. Any questions, toss me a PM or ask me here.

TheIronRuler:

I understand what you set out to do, which is why I offer you an option to play as a member of the house of Voodoo with some alterations to your bio and appearance.

Nevertheless you should make up your own damned mind. Good luck. Please post the next Sheet in a new post. Any questions, toss me a PM or ask me here.

That was not directed at you at all. I made a bunch of mistakes with my character sheet and was apologizing. I realized how ambiguous the wording of that was and made my intentions clearer in the post, but evidently not fast enough to change it before you saw it. My apologies. I will try to make anything I write less ambiguous.

TRANSMUTER TIME! (Everyone is going to hate my character so much. IDK if you guys know how broken transmuting is, but you will all soon find out how many purposes this one magic has.)

drmigit2:
TRANSMUTER TIME! (Everyone is going to hate my character so much. IDK if you guys know how broken transmuting is, but you will all soon find out how many purposes this one magic has.)

This. Isn't. Magic.

It's. Just. Plain.

Too. Awesome.

To. Be. Magic.
Talk with me in Skype. We need to sort this out before you write a whole bio.

I edited him. Something tells me people will only hate him more now though. Iron and Naut know what I mean. This has gone from D&D op, to war criminal hate crime chemical weapon territory and it is glorious!

SamtheDeathclaw:

TheIronRuler:

That was not directed at you at all. I made a bunch of mistakes with my character sheet and was apologizing. I realized how ambiguous the wording of that was and made my intentions clearer in the post, but evidently not fast enough to change it before you saw it. My apologies. I will try to make anything I write less ambiguous.

A few notes - remove elemental magic. Either make illusion adept and divination small, or illusion small and divination adept. Your restoration will let you with a nice spell stop a running nose or a dry cough, together with small paper-cuts.

Mind trickery at this level allows you to force your opponent to see things that aren't there and hear sounds, coupled with an adept level of illusion you can fool your opponent very well. It will take either a strong physical trauma or a lucky hit for your opponent to break away form your control. However there are magic spells designed to dispel your abilities. For example, having a Roman house teleport a few feet in different directions would screw with the quality of your illusion and might even break it.

Divination at a small level will allow you to see day into the past like photographic memory. It will also tell you if someone had been in the same place you had been before and when s/he was there. Adept level gives you small level and also allows you to see five seconds into the future, extending the period to a week and allowing you to see what other people saw for the last hour if you establish a psychic link with them (physical link.)

Any questions?

TheIronRuler:

A few notes - remove elemental magic. Either make illusion adept and divination small, or illusion small and divination adept. Your restoration will let you with a nice spell stop a running nose or a dry cough, together with small paper-cuts.

Mind trickery at this level allows you to force your opponent to see things that aren't there and hear sounds, coupled with an adept level of illusion you can fool your opponent very well. It will take either a strong physical trauma or a lucky hit for your opponent to break away form your control. However there are magic spells designed to dispel your abilities. For example, having a Roman house teleport a few feet in different directions would screw with the quality of your illusion and might even break it.

Divination at a small level will allow you to see day into the past like photographic memory. It will also tell you if someone had been in the same place you had been before and when s/he was there. Adept level gives you small level and also allows you to see five seconds into the future, extending the period to a week and allowing you to see what other people saw for the last hour if you establish a psychic link with them (physical link.)

Any questions?

Yeah, a few. The first and most pertinent being, "Why should I bother?" I'm only moderately interested in the rp in the first place. The setting and basic plotline are poorly defined. The rules are completely unexplained leaving a hopeful to guess and hope the it lies within the rules the dm can't be arsed to write out. Who then gets passive aggressive over some accidental syntactic ambiguity and proceeds to reverse his earlier decisions.
Oh right. I shouldn't bother.
Consider my character sheet formally retracted. I want nothing further to do with this rp.
Best of luck, good sir.

SamtheDeathclaw:

-snip-

Patience is a virtue you lack. I feel sorry for other people who will be hurt by your reckless behavior. You've proved yourself to be a rather unreliable person.
Best of Luck, good sir.

Chaos Incarnate:

A few notes to take into consideration:
It's hard, though not impossible, to be away from your House sphere. The problem here is that most if not all teachers would still remain in your sphere of influence. To learn Restoration is to be in contact with Arabian House teachers and source material, something that is nigh impossible elsewhere. Becoming an expert requires a lot of work and time.

Don't you think that being a doctor with the magical power of Restoration would bring unwanted attention to your mystical abilities? Still, I understand why you chose this profession.

Altogether this looks good. Buffing the bio a bit will do wonders as will a better description of your character, his appearance and his usual wardrobe.

PlastikBulb:

A few notes:
You seem to misunderstand China's social policy here. The restriction stands, but it shouldn't be such an issue. Only a third of China's couples are influence by this restriction.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-child_policy
The character is good but you ought to re-think her origins a bit.

TheIronRuler:

PlastikBulb:

A few notes:
You seem to misunderstand China's social policy here. The restriction stands, but it shouldn't be such an issue. Only a third of China's couples are influence by this restriction.

I didn't figure that many people were like, forced to follow it, but, it's kinda useful for characterization purposes in terms of the father and her/himself. Mind if I just make the father an obsessive party follower. To the letter kind of deal, traditionalist, etc etc?

PlastikBulb:

TheIronRuler:

PlastikBulb:

A few notes:

I didn't figure that many people were like, forced to follow it, but, it's kinda useful for characterization purposes in terms of the father and her/himself. Mind if I just make the father an obsessive party follower. To the letter kind of deal, traditionalist, etc etc?

Look, you don't need the policy as a crutch. Have the mother die at birth or alliteratively have her become infertile soon after. Since he won't cheat on his wife or love another (if that's your direction), he will hate you for not being a son that will carry on his name.
...Or maybe have it so that you had a brother but he died in infancy, leaving you his only child. Really, go nuts here, you don't have to use the fact she's Chinese.

Duly noted and edited, thank you very much for the input. Seriously, wicked man.

Okay. So. If you are on expert level in any branch, your character is more or less tied to the house that developed it, unless you're fringe?

Shadowstar38:
Okay. So. If you are on expert level in any branch, your character is more or less tied to the house that developed it, unless you're fringe?

Fringe or New-Age American. Notice that the New-Age American brands of magic aren't restricted. They're a newer House and breed.

How it works is that certain branches of Magic are monopolized by these Houses. However, you can be a member of the Fringe and have expert level Magic in these if you are a cadet-House of that particular House or if you've once been a member of the house and left. Alliteratively, you can be a member of House A and then defect to House B. You can have either specialty at expert level (though you can only have one) but certain brands of Magic that are restricted from Adept level up can also be used by you since you've been a member of another House previously. Bear in mind that being such a person makes you unreliable, distrusted and downright hated in certain other groups. People hate traitors, especially those that sold out their own heritage and family for [Insert reward].

Oh Darn, I forgot Alchemy was open for all.

Three sheets aren't enough to start this RP. I'll wait longer for anyone who is still interested, but I won't start the RP with only three players.

I'm writing a sheet right now, just needs a little bit more work.

CaptainHook69:

I'm having trouble with him both having mastery of martial arts (in general? Is there one in particular? Does he know more than one?) and over firearms. Try and see how creating a whole sphere of "weapon mastery" is kinda OP. Just a thought, you can keep it at that but I would love it if you could better explain this portion.

Furthermore, the age. Now, I think this age fits the character but you better RP according to your age and not act like an old sage who knows everything (You being the master of all martial arts and can shoot a fig off a tree four hundred yards away with a bb-gun).

TheIronRuler:

CaptainHook69:

I'm having trouble with him both having mastery of martial arts (in general? Is there one in particular? Does he know more than one?) and over firearms. Try and see how creating a whole sphere of "weapon mastery" is kinda OP. Just a thought, you can keep it at that but I would love it if you could better explain this portion.

Furthermore, the age. Now, I think this age fits the character but you better RP according to your age and not act like an old sage who knows everything (You being the master of all martial arts and can shoot a fig off a tree four hundred yards away with a bb-gun).

He isn't a master at martial arts or firearms, just trained in the use of both, as in he could hit a target in defense of his life but is no where near a master or even military standards of firearm use. Same with his martial arts, he is trained in quite a few and would easyly defeat your average joe in a hand-to-hand fight and could probably win against your usual run of the mill martial artist but he is by no means Batman and would be in serious trouble if faced with a true martial artist. I hope I can better explain it in his bio but that will have to wait untill tomorrow as it is 12:21 AM here and I'm about to fall asleep.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked