Aether Shanties RP (PM if interested/Started)

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 34 NEXT

"I hope I loaded my gun; I know I'm loaded with rum
My fear is low but I ought to know that the world is full of scum
"

Intro
The year is 2150. The world is a wilderness, where man-eating sabre-tooths and giant lions prowl. Emperor Victor III follows in his father's footsteps and rules the world from the palace in Yellowstone Park. The Neovictorians huddle in their grim, overcrowded cities, kept in check by police automata, and living in fear of the Change Cage. Outside the city walls, the free peoples dwell - the nomadic Neobedouin in their gaudy caravans, pulled by steam-trucks and mastodons; and the Skyfolk, floating high above it all in their flying cities. But the most free people of them all - risking the guns of the Imperial Air Navy for the chance of plunder - are the Airship Pirates!

Cultures
There are three main cultures in the North America of 2150 - the Neobedouin, the Neovictorians and the Skyfolk. No doubt there are other cultures hidden away in remote places, and there are, of course, countless other cultures in other continents and time periods, but these are the three from which characters come in this RP. There are also a couple of "subcultures", both of which arise within Neovictorian society - the automata and the misbegotten.

Equipment
The technology of the world is post-apocalyptic and steampunk. There's a few pages on what kind of technology and weapons that exist, in the book, but as long as you keep the setting in mind when making a character and chosing their equipment, I will probably accept it. Different cultures would have different kind of technology available to them.

Character Sheet

Airships
In 2150, airships rule supreme. In a world where the ground is dangerous, space for runways at a premium and factories almost non-existent, airships - which can be largely hand-crafted and are relatively easy to repair - are the vehicle of choice. Most airships conform to the same pattern - a ship-like wooden hull strung beneath a streamlined cylindrical gasbag. Some of the bigger airships have rigid hulls, but most are blimps, their gas-bags kept in shape by gas pressure. Most have individual gas cells within, so that a puncture does not lead to the loss of all lifting gas, and many have outer skins made of Calgorite, a rubber-like material which is "self-sealing", naturally expanding and bonding together to close small punctures such as those caused by bullets. Most airships are lifted by helium, much safer than inflammable hydrogen (though the latter is cheaper). They are usually propelled by either steam engines (fueled with easily obtainable wood or more expensive but more efficient coal), or by diesel or gasoline engines. Many augment their engines with sails, extending their range as long as the winds are blowing in the right direction. Some of the more experimental ships augment their lift with steam and/or hot smoke from steam engines, or hot exhaust fumes from diesel engines.

Note: There's a lot more information and lore than I've posted here, but I think this should be enough to create a character. This isn't supposed to be a realistic roleplay. Feel free to ask questions.

The Mermaid
The Mermaid is a customized airship of the barracuda class. The barracuda is often used by merchants and traders, its hull can also easily be customized as a heavily armed pirate or privateer ship. It is used by some of the larger pirate and mercenary combines, being able to outmaneuver an IAN frigate and prey on smaller ships. It's got twentyfive large cannons, improved armor, a lightning gun, grappling hook, several standard cabins and a cargo hold. It tries to maintain a cover as a merchant ship, in those ports and cities where pirates aren't welcome. There are 80 pirates in the crew.
(Individuals of all the cultures can be members on this ship.)

The HMS Invincible
The Invincible is representative of the most commonly used patrol ships of the IAN. With better firepower than most pirate ships, and plenty of space for air marines, it is a formidable vessel. It's got forty large cannons, a couple of grappling hooks, a luxurious cabin for the admiral, a few standard cabins and a sick bay. It's got a crew of 150 men.
(It's preferable with Neovictorians, Automatons or Misbegotten on this ship. Unless you can motivate it in a really good way, there won't be skyfolk or neobeduins among the crew.)

Suitable Backgrounds

Pirates

Redryhno:
Name: Cloud Strife Eddie Cirrus

Texas Joker 52:
Name: Skulk-Hound Sheska

blaze96:
Name: Samuel Garland

Arcanist:
Name: Jason Aurora

3quency:
Name: Isaac Traynor

MortifiedPenguin:
Hector

Imperials

hiei82:
Name: Rear Admiral Adriana Victor Elizabeth Lanester

Evrant:
Name: Garrett Corvus

Tips_of_Fingers:

Name: Exeter St John

Name: Capricorn

3quency:

Name: Anastacia "Black Annis" Baker-Cromwell

Terratina.:
Name: Vasco Roque

Wenseph:
Wilhelmena

New Characters

This is not fair. Too many roles I wanna play! You can't make me pick!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh.

drmigit2:
This is not fair. Too many roles I wanna play! You can't make me pick!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I forgot to mention in the OP, but I might allow people to have two characters, if they're not on the same ship.

And I'm looking for 10-12 players.

O_O

So many choices....

Annnnnnnd.... character!
I submit one of our first pirates:

EDIT: Added a couple of bits of IC kit to the appearance section.
EDIT 2: Okay, I've actually added some goddamn detail to Isaac's personality. Now he has some actual depth, or so I hope. Made further kit edits too.

Will have a character up, just need to discuss some stuff with Hiei first; since we've been talking about our characters having a shared past.

SO MANY CHOICES! I will have a character up soon.

And here he is

Let me know if there is anything I should change, or if you have any questions.

I might make a second character for the HMS Invincible, if so I will edit them into this post.

Sounds interesting. It may take me some time to get my ideas flowing and get a sheet in but you'll probably see one eventually.

I hope to have a character up tonight. I'm at work posting from a cellphone right now so this is all I can do A.T.M.

see Evrants post also.

This has me intrigued. Expect a character at some point tonight.

Really cool I'll post a sheet when I get out of work

Reserve me a spot please.

The last paragraph is just something I'd take if it wasn't taken already. Not everyone can be an above decks grunt.

I might add in a HMS character here later, not sure yet.

[EDIT 5]: Revamped Appearance and Personality, added to Biography to reflect in-RP events that took place.

As has been mentioned... That is pretty cruel. Far too many interesting character possibilities.

I've managed to narrow down my interests to two characters, one for each ship. I'll post the first one - the one that came to mind first - and may post the second one further down the line. If this one works out fine, I may just abandon the other one, as extra characters would probably be more overhead for both me and the storyteller(s).

Would it be against the rules for me to plan an inventor on both ships? Kind of make a rivalry between my characters?

drmigit2:
Would it be against the rules for me to plan an inventor on both ships? Kind of make a rivalry between my characters?

No, that would be fine.

Also, I want the player characters to be even on both ships, or to have more pirates than people playing for the empire.

Wenseph:

drmigit2:

No, that would be fine.

Also, I want the player characters to be even on both ships, or to have more pirates than people playing for the empire.

Is the Invincible an imperial ship then? I was under the impression that it was another pirate ship, and that the two ships worked together.

IFS:

Wenseph:

drmigit2:

No, that would be fine.

Is the Invincible an imperial ship then? I was under the impression that it was another pirate ship, and that the two ships worked together.

Yes, it's the empire ship. They're not working together.

Wenseph:

Okay, I need to edit my sheet then, changes the ideas I had for a second character too.

Wenseph:

Oh really? I'll need to edit my own sheet then! Given her, ah... History in the Chuno Ggun, being on an ship working for the Empire may be a horrible idea.

Hope this is satisfactory. Very new to forum RPing myself so at least you can laugh at my failure of a Character sheet.

Name:Mario "Cretin" Johnson

Culture: Neo Victorian
Background: Criminal lower class
Ship: The Mermaid.
Appearance: He wears A leather coat he mugged off of a middle class man, buzz cut, White Causican skin, clean shaven,
Personality: Likes to pretend he's a charming rouge but he's only slightly more educated then the rest of the lower classes, has the arrogance of youth and it's gotten him into trouble before he seems to think he has something to prove.

Biography:It was a challenge yer see he thought that if he could go through a tour of duty on a pirate ship he would be "legit-like" then all those big shots would be sorry. Course, this is a guy everybody called "Cretin" including his own Mum( that was just before she tried to strangle him with his umbilical cord, mind). being raised by an alcholic father who thinks a Bear is Beer spelt wrong does little to provide role models for young impressionable children.
And it showed, after all how else do you work up the motivation to learn how to read just so you can read a book of curse words at your father? Cretin that's who! Well at least he's among Smellier, more ruthless and conniving role models now.I'm certain his sanity will remain intact (mostly)

Hi I'm a new poster here (long time lurker) and I just wanted to know how the forum RPs worked. The way the forums work makes me think that it would get very confusing and disorganized after a bit.
I am interested though (roleplaying is one of my favorite past times :D).

Two questions:

-Will the Invincible's Admiral be a player?
-While the Airship Pirates are Pirating what will the Invincible be doing?

Beffudled Sheep:
Hi I'm a new poster here (long time lurker) and I just wanted to know how the forum RPs worked. The way the forums work makes me think that it would get very confusing and disorganized after a bit.
I am interested though (roleplaying is one of my favorite past times :D).

Looking at other forum roleplays would probably help you get a good idea of how they work. I'll also make a group for OOC. If you read everyone's posts it shouldn't get that confusing. I'll keep track of what's going on too.

Captainguy42:
Two questions:

Yeah, hiei82 has agreed to play the admiral. The invincible will be trying to stop them. I don't want to go too much into details about the plot in mind.

Wenseph:

Captainguy42:
Two questions:

Yeah, hiei82 has agreed to play the admiral. The invincible will be trying to stop them. I don't want to go too much into details about the plot in mind.

Well, considering what myself and Hiei have in mind for our characters, it will be interesting to say the least.

Wenseph:
Snips

Thanks! Well here is my sheet! If anything is wrong please let me know!

Right, you will have my sheet sometime tomorrow, hope this is acceptable for you. (i.e. in the morning/noon GMT)

Evrant:
Right, you will have my sheet sometime tomorrow, hope this is acceptable for you. (i.e. in the morning/noon GMT)

Yes, I'll be keeping recruitment open for some days anyway.

Welp, looks like for balance sake I'll need to join up on the Invincible... fortunately, I wasn't too far on my character, so it shouldn't take much to change.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 34 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here