The Vampire Earth - Post Apoc/Sci-fi - Main Thread ( Closed/Started)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

"Damn, you're telling me. I was on the other side of the city and I heard it. And I couldn't go outside without someone thinking the slim woman running around did it for a month."

Shizuka tried to smile. It didn't work.

"But really, are you okay? We're a family, now. You understand? A little, broken family with a penchant for killing, but a family nonetheless. If we're upsetting you, feel free to stab us with these pointy things."

No, I'm not okay, she thought bitterly. I'm angry and frustrated, and I want nothing more than for these monsters to explode and burn in the deepest pits of Hell for all eternity while I sit up in Heaven with the rest of my family and friends and watch with a giant tub of popcorn as Jesus and Saint Peter give a play-by-play, horse-race-announcer-style. You wanna know how I feel? I'll tell you:

"... I'm fine."

Fuck me.

She slid her swords back into their sheathes and pulled her hood down a little more snugly.

"... I'm fine."
Scathach sighed. 'Lying already? Well, can't say I didn't try.
"If you need to talk, we're all here. Or, I am. Dunno about this lot." She gestured vaguely behind her. "If it's okay, I'd just like to walk by you for now, assuming I'm not bothering you too much?"

"If it's okay, I'd just like to walk by you for now, assuming I'm not bothering you too much?"

"... It's fine."

She glanced at Scathach for a brief moment from under her hood, before speaking in a barely audible tone. "... Thanks."

Scathach quietly settled in alongside her.
"... Thanks."
She just flashed a smile at Shizuka.

"I do not think so" Yuriy began "In time, she may learn to leave it where it needs to be. Never to forget, of course. Only to keep her head clear enough to keep moving forward. Da...all in due time."

"yeah .... i can relate to that. i still feel bad that I'm the reason my family got harvested, i mean they would have gone willingly had they been asked, but still .... just one more reason to slaughter the lot of them" Jessica said, her tone starting off down, before shift to a much darker, hateful tone at the end

Rourke listened to the conversation, his wolf ears picking up the subtle shift in tone between speech. "Ever'one's got a past, not ever'ones got a future." Rummaging in a pocket he pulled a small pouch of tobacco, rolling up a ball he began to chew.

The day drew on and the sun nested itself high in the sky, the late autumn heat warming the backs of the pack. As the brush and tree's began to disperse and turn into scrub land, the group continued on. Rourke ever vigilant, eye's darting between horizon. As the afternoon drew on, Rourke came to an embankment and upon climbing to the top, the remains on the I35 were visible. Weeds and scrubs had broken through the asphalt and cracks ran down the road like spiderwebs. The occasional car, broken and rusted, the skeletal remains littering the road.

Scathach hopped up on top of the embankment, and gazed at the road.
She whistled. "Boy, and I thought roads in the city were beat up."

Jessica hopped up next to Scathach and looked around nodding "i never get used to seeing this kinda thing" she said as she spotted a four door car, with the remains of a family inside "they have much to answer for"

Shizuka kept scanning her eyes over the road, looking for any sign of movement. Granted, she didn't expect to see any because if their enemy knew they were coming, they'd likely already be dead. Still, in this line of work, a healthy amount of paranoia could save your life.

"How much further?" she asked without turning around.

Scathach slid down the hill, landing near the car in question. She glanced inside, and quickly looked away.

"they have much to answer for"
"That's what we're here for. To make them pay."
She sighed, pulled a canteen from her pack and took a drink, before offering it to the others.

Regan had been mostly quiet up to now, focusing on the task at hand, but perked up a bit when she heard the comments about vengence.

"Right now, I think the best way of sticking it to the Kurians is to report back from Leon in one piece. I have reason enought to hate these alien freaks as much as you do, but what do you think will help South Com the most? Risking our lives to maybe take out a couple of Reapers or helping South Com actually figure out what's going on in this goddamn war? Leon has probably seen enough death recently, I don't want to let anyone here be added to that list."

Regan sighed. She was calm, but a little worried about how naive some of team were, at least in her opinion.

"Do we have a plan for when we get there?"

"What's a plan?" Scathach laughed. "We need to find out exactly what is going on there, before trying to make a plan. Presumably, that's why they sent two cats. So once we get an idea of what we're up against exactly, we formulate the attack plan. Trying to plan when we have no intel is just as bad as having no plan at all."

Scathach was not used to having a plan. In the city, running across rooftops, plans had a tendency to collapse in on themselves. Mostly, she had just survived by wits and luck, and even then only by the skin of her teeth. She was also unused to having teammates.
She sighed.

"they have much to answer for"

"That's what we're here for. To make them pay."

"Right now, I think the best way of sticking it to the Kurians is to report back from Leon in one piece. I have reason enought to hate these alien freaks as much as you do, but what do you think will help South Com the most? Risking our lives to maybe take out a couple of Reapers or helping South Com actually figure out what's going on in this goddamn war? Leon has probably seen enough death recently, I don't want to let anyone here be added to that list."

"Well, not often does this one speak, I see," Yuriy noted to Jessica and Scathach as he stepped up the embankment. "But she does speak reason. We were not sent to go looking for fights. We must only be ready for when one finds us."

"I think we should first see if there are any people there," Yuriy announced as he looked northward up the road. "Living or otherwise..."

"Want us to scout ahead?" Shizuka said, motioning toward Scathach. "Take a minuet. Maybe two."

"i know that" Jessica said to Yuriy "i just can't get used to sights like this"

"i just can't get used to sights like this"
"I don't think anyone ever really does."
She turned to the Cats.
"Couple of minutes you say? After that, I'll assume something's happened to you guys. Unless you want more time to work with before 'calling in the cavalry', so to speak."

"This close to the free territory, I ain't too bothered 'bout recon. Probably be a few Wolf Patrols around anyhow, but you wanna go on, feel free." His eye's gazed around the cars and to the other embankment. "When we get to Leon, we're to get 'em back in contact or...well, we'll see. For now, we just needa keep going north."

"Give us half an hour. This..." She glanced around. "This would be a nice place for an ambush. And I'm not keen on someone getting the drop on us. Keep on going, but Shizuka and I will look around up ahead."

Shizuka nodded and started sprint-crouching forward, surprisingly silent. It was a difficult trick, but she'd long-since mastered it. Her enhanced balance as a Cat certainly helped.

Rather than do anything pointlessly difficult, Scathach just jogged quietly after her. She could move silently like that, but her forté was being fast.
She couldn't see anything suspicious, but she kept an eye out anyways.

Jessica stayed with the bears, there was no need for her to scout with the cats, sides, she was better at traps then she was at scouting

It had been awfully quiet between the group, and Yuriy thought it was getting tense. Lifting his cap and scratching his head, he cleared his throat as he prepared to speak.

"So," began the Bear, breaking the silence between those who hadn't scouted ahead. "Am I the only one wondering what is to prevent an ambush from the sides if they are just moving up the road? I may just be underestimating the abilities of a Cat, but I still cannot help to think that there is still chance of a surprise attack."

"i wouldn't worry about them, to much, we're all meant for different things right? scouting unseen is one of those 'cat' things" Jessica said taking her hat off for a moment to re-adjust how it sat. "anyway, we should sorta stick with em instead of standing around here. hanging out by the highway isn't getting the job done after all"

Rourke nodded agreement and continued walking along the broken interstate. "We're too close to the free territory to get anything major come up, but a stray Reaper ain't unheard of. We'll be relying on your Nose, Jess, as much as the Cats recon" He said with a smile. With a glance to the embankments on either side Rourke turned to the two Bears. "Jus' keep an eye out, none the less 'eh?"

"i wouldn't worry about them, to much, we're all meant for different things right? scouting unseen is one of those 'cat' things"

"It is not them I was worried about," Yuriy said softly as he looked down the road behind them. "While I am confident they can avoid detection, I know that there is only so much ground they can cover. And while they are running ahead, who is to say there is not something waiting in those trees for us?"

"anyway, we should sorta stick with em instead of standing around here. hanging out by the highway isn't getting the job done after all"

"While I do agree that we should not be sticking around here much longer, I am afraid it will not be possible for us to 'stick with 'em'," the Bear said, turning himself northward again as he spoke to Jessica. "Us Bears are not exactly made for speed."

"We're too close to the free territory to get anything major come up, but a stray Reaper ain't unheard of. We'll be relying on your Nose, Jess, as much as the Cats recon."

"Well, I suppose there is that," Yuriy muttered to himself as he strode down the road.

"Jus' keep an eye out, none the less 'eh?"

"That will not be a problem, Major," the Bear called back as he scanned the path ahead as best he could.

Shizuka, now with her hood down to increase her field of view, weaved in between the dilapidated cars and trucks on the ruined highway, listening for the slightest noise, but at the moment, only hearing her distressingly noisy partner.

Granted, Scathach's still a cat, and thus inherently still very quiet, but Shizuka's sensitive ears could still pick her up. By her reckoning, that meant she was being far too loud. The ruined cars were a great place for an ambush, and the slightest noise might tip them off.

Shizuka gestured to Scathach by holding a hand up to her ear and mouthing, "Do you hear anything?"

Scathach pulled up short. She listened.
The wind swirling across the empty prairie. A quiet breath from Shizuka. Snatches of conversation from the party behind them.
"No, nothing unusual." She scanned the horizon and still saw nothing. She shrugged. "We may manage to get there without killing anything." she stifled a chuckle.

Shizuka suddenly looked very nervous. "Are you sure...?" Her eyes darted around, she was sweating, her breath was short, and she didn't dare even shift her weight. She was all but trembling.

She had to force herself not to reach for her swords or gun, but she couldn't stop biting her lip. "I-I don't feel well..."

"I-I don't feel well..."
"Would you like to go back with the group? This place is pretty..." She trailed off. "Eerie." She caressed the handle of her claws, before making up her mind and drawing them. She held them loosely, but ready to strike.
"You're right. This place is damned creepy." Scathach circled around the many abandoned cars, many of them with decomposed skeletons still in them. She looked hard at the ground, looking for tracks, anything. But she wasn't a wolf, so she came up with nothing. She rejoined Shizuka, shaking her head. "I don't see anything, hear anything. The place feels just dead."

Although Yuriy hadn't seen anything to confirm his suspicious, he thought the silence in the surrounding woodlands was rather peculiar. In fact, the lack of noise other than themselves was making him uncomfortable. Though he was a Bear, and few things other than a good fight or a pile of steaks made him truly comfortable. He wasn't fully prepared to let his guard down just yet, but by his observations, there wasn't anything to worry about for the time being.

"I don't see anything, hear anything. The place feels just dead."

"I-I don't think there's anything else here... maybe we should get back to the group...?" Shizuka was actually trembling now, her eyes wide and constantly shifting from one ruined car to the next, their sensitivity to light working against her as she could make out every grisly detail of the remains inside. She almost gagged.

Rourke watched and listened as his young comrades started casting glances around the area. Getting a steady grip on his M1 Carbine, he darted up the left embankment, breaking into his old wolfs lope as he reached the top. Casting his eye's around, he saw nothing and even his wolf senses picked up nothing unusual. "S'all good, folks, nuthin' to see. Anyhow, I think we lingered enough...the amount of life-sign you're givin' off..." He cast one last look and began to follow the old interstate north.

"maybe we should get back to the group...?"
Scathach nodded.
"It wouldn't be too bad of an idea. This place is... Kind of frightening. And I've been some damn creepy places."

Jessica started head toward the cats "Rourke is right, lets keep moving"

Pushing the group on, Rourke continued along the interstate. Constantly checking the embankment and scouting off on his own every once in a while. Not long after the sun had declined and rested lazily above the horizon, a small rusted sign appeared on the side of the road. Welcome to Iowa. The embankment faded away on the side and a clear view of the surrounding land was given, a large cylindrical building lay on the western horizon.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked