Your desire is our Command - What do YOU want to play as?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Welcome, dear players. Since I have seen many RPs that fail spectacularly, I have decided that I would ask you - the general public, what you would like to see in the sub-forum. Do you want an RP based on X, but you're unsure if others want to participate? Are you thirsty for action in a Y setting, but you're still waiting on that GM to run a good game?

This is the place for you to have your say. Speak your mind, say what kind of games you want to see more and gather others who share the same ideas.

I would prefer to see a regular RP involving people - plain people, living their lives with some catastrophic even happening - off-screen, in a far away place. Now they ought to deal with the fallout, but they themselves don't have to fight against mecha-warriors or black magic-users. The setting could be a modern one or a faux modern one with an addition of magic or a real supernatural element to it, one that might be the catalyst to the event. Attempting to keep normality in your grasp as you slowly descend into despair and depression while the world is forced to deal with the consequences with you is something I see rarely explored. Right - Are you interested, and do you have any other suggestions?

Suggest Rps you want to see in Universes you like from novels, tv series, films, video-games or anime with a different take on the plot or concentrating on different aspects of play (More stealth, more combat, less fighting, more slice of life, more treasure hunting, etc.)

I'd like to see a Bleach RP.

Inb4 skyrim mass effect halo league of legends fallout MLP crossover is mentioned. If you manage that one I am sure people would play.

Viking Incognito:

Is that before or after you post in FA?
Anyway, I'm not sure what would happen in a Beach RP because eventually it would all be AIZEN'S PLAN. I actually planned to make an RP where we would all make an epic climb into epicness, and in the middle Aizen would come in, say that we've all followed his plan and murder us all.

drmigit2:
Inb4 skyrim mass effect halo league of legends fallout MLP crossover is mentioned. If you manage that one I am sure people would play.

HAHAHA!
I remember seeing a stream of each of them right after a game was released and in the following months. The crossover thing is dumb in my opinion.

Mind giving us a more serious answer, and posting in FA?

Perhaps ninjas? Or aliens. Either kind works, but I prefer E.T to Pedro :|

I just realized that could be construed as racist.

TheIronRuler:

Viking Incognito:

Is that before or after you post in FA?
Anyway, I'm not sure what would happen in a Beach RP because eventually it would all be AIZEN'S PLAN. I actually planned to make an RP where we would all make an epic climb into epicness, and in the middle Aizen would come in, say that we've all followed his plan and murder us all.

drmigit2:

HAHAHA!
I remember seeing a stream of each of them right after a game was released and in the following months. The crossover thing is dumb in my opinion.

Mind giving us a more serious answer, and posting in FA?

Dude, I have the last post in FA. I am waiting on Naut still.

Also, the rp I talked to you about in skype would be fun. That zombie daybreaker thing.

What I want is science fiction beyond fucking Mass Effect and Halo.

I'm something of a science fiction buff. I love Orson Scott Card and Larry Niven and a ton of other writers. But if I made a game here based on Childhood's End or Up The Walls of the World, or even something like Ringworld (a hugely influential book that won a host of awards and is considered a classic of the genre), it wouldn't catch because the things that do are based on popular videogames of the past year.

I always go back to Iain M. Banks and the Culture series, just because it's so unlike what 'standard' scifi portrays. What I liked about Banks (besides that it was the author's version of a perfect society, and on some level I long to live in the Culture the way other people want to live on Pandora) is that it actually feels like an advanced society, in a way I haven't really seen much elsewhere. "Pop" science fiction has spaceships and robots and everything, but the thinking behind it doesn't seem to have changed. Often the writers don't put thought into the implications of the setting.

I mean, Halo is in the 26th Century, yet humans are still using ammo types from 500 years ago. In the 16th Century, the most powerful weapon was the cannon, which could put a good size hole in a castle wall. In the 21st Century the most powerful weapon is the hydrogen bomb, which can put a good size hole in the planet. In Star Wars, ships fire at each other from like 1000 feet away while humans in fighters dart in and around them like some space version of a WWII naval battle.

In the Culture, spaceships are fully autonomous, enourmously magnified von neumann probes with AIs that are millions of times more intelligent than humans, so that they make humans look as dumb as fucking insects. Planets are considered too fragile to live on and are used as nature preserves, with the whole population living on artificial habitats or ships. The ships have picosecond reaction times (entire battles take place on millisecond scales, with the individual actions taking nanoseconds) and weapon ranges in the trillions of kilometers.

They don't have any fucking ground armies, either. Mass Effect / Halo / etc forces ultimately fight like we do. Quantitively better, but still similar. Culture forces don't. The battle in space is the only thing that matters, and even then the ships would just leave (in space, nothing forces you to hold onto territory). If they had to fight on the ground, it would be with drones that pack a massively superhuman intelligence, ability to control/rewire electronics, microscopic missiles that destroy an entire city block, protective and cutting fields, hypersonic speed and short-range FTL in a package smaller than your head.

And it's not just the tech- it's the whole society; the way they think, their language, the lack of laws, the absence of money, the way they interact with other species- it all just gives the sense of a civilization far more advanced than anything on Earth, and not just the same human social conventions, except in space.

No Rama?

No "Cities in Flight?"

No Barsoom?

No "Dune?"

For cripes' sake, no "Caves of Steel" or "Foundation?"

No freaking Selenites from "The First Men in the Moon?" No future Earth from "The Time Machine?"

Halo and ME is good, but c'mon man. In all of SF you pick these? Over and over again?

I know you guys read books. Why don't you talk about them on here?

Asclepion:
What I want is science fiction beyond fucking Mass Effect and Halo.

I'm something of a science fiction buff. I love Orson Scott Card and Larry Niven and a ton of other writers. But if I made a game here based on Childhood's End or Up The Walls of the World, or even something like Ringworld (a hugely influential book that won a host of awards and is considered a classic of the genre), it wouldn't catch because the things that do are based on popular videogames of the past year.

I always go back to Iain M. Banks and the Culture series, just because it's so unlike what 'standard' scifi portrays. What I liked about Banks (besides that it was the author's version of a perfect society, and on some level I long to live in the Culture the way other people want to live on Pandora) is that it actually feels like an advanced society, in a way I haven't really seen much elsewhere. "Pop" science fiction has spaceships and robots and everything, but the thinking behind it doesn't seem to have changed. Often the writers don't put thought into the implications of the setting.

I mean, Halo is in the 26th Century, yet humans are still using ammo types from 500 years ago. In the 16th Century, the most powerful weapon was the cannon, which could put a good size hole in a castle wall. In the 21st Century the most powerful weapon is the hydrogen bomb, which can put a good size hole in the planet. In Star Wars, ships fire at each other from like 1000 feet away while humans in fighters dart in and around them like some space version of a WWII naval battle.

In the Culture, spaceships are fully autonomous, enourmously magnified von neumann probes with AIs that are millions of times more intelligent than humans, so that they make humans look as dumb as fucking insects. Planets are considered too fragile to live on and are used as nature preserves, with the whole population living on artificial habitats or ships. The ships have picosecond reaction times (entire battles take place on millisecond scales, with the individual actions taking nanoseconds) and weapon ranges in the trillions of kilometers.

They don't have any fucking ground armies, either. Mass Effect / Halo / etc forces ultimately fight like we do. Quantitively better, but still similar. Culture forces don't. The battle in space is the only thing that matters, and even then the ships would just leave (in space, nothing forces you to hold onto territory). If they had to fight on the ground, it would be with drones that pack a massively superhuman intelligence, ability to control/rewire electronics, microscopic missiles that destroy an entire city block, protective and cutting fields, hypersonic speed and short-range FTL in a package smaller than your head.

And it's not just the tech- it's the whole society; the way they think, their language, the lack of laws, the absence of money, the way they interact with other species- it all just gives the sense of a civilization far more advanced than anything on Earth, and not just the same human social conventions, except in space.

No Rama?

No "Cities in Flight?"

No Barsoom?

No "Dune?"

For cripes' sake, no "Caves of Steel" or "Foundation?"

No freaking Selenites from "The First Men in the Moon?" No future Earth from "The Time Machine?"

Halo and ME is good, but c'mon man. In all of SF you pick these? Over and over again?

I know you guys read books. Why don't you talk about them on here?

Rps that survive over here have a certain structure you should have already spotted by now, being the awesome writer you are. A lot of these examples can't contain such a structure for a good long-running RP.

Hmm... Well, there is one setting that I've started to obsess over lately. A world of deceit and intrigue. A realm full of incredible powers and awe-inspiring magic. A plane that hosts countless races, all of them vying for might and dominance.

I speak, of course, about the City of Guilds, the metropolis that has spread itself over an entire world:

Seriously, tell me it wouldn't be fun to play an initiate in literally any of the guilds. You could be a by-the-books, upstanding citizen slowly working your way up the ranks of the Azorius Senate, venturing out of New Prahv to deal with those who think themselves above the law. You could be a fetishistic sociopath who loses themselves in the frenzied bloodbaths below Rix Maadi, pledging your life, your soul, and especially your sanity to the entertainment of Lord Rakdos. A hotblooded soldier fighting for justice under the banner of the Boros Legion, a brilliant, if tragically short-sighted, scientist experimenting with the Izzet League, a speaker for the Selesnya Conclave!

Ravnica is, at least to me, one of the most interesting settings in modern fiction. It combines the politics and ever shifting loyalties of A Song of Ice and Fire with the limitless magic of The Dresden Files, the numberless species and powers of Tower of God with the sprawling cityscape of Coruscant.

Of course, if you're not into Magic: The Gathering, then there is one other idea running around my head: good old Prohibition-era US of A!

Set up a speakeasy in one of the hub cities (Saint Louis, Kansas City, etc.) and invite all manner of ruffians and hooligans to wet their beaks! You could play the classic mobster, back when gangsters had class. You could be a suave agent of the Treasury, a civil servant seeking out trouble and making sure to put an end to it. Or you could play a cute little cat who goes more than a little crazy when he gets his paws on the stock of a Tommy-gun.

This would require a lot of explaining otherwise, so I'll make it simple. Take this

But have it take place during here.

And before you say it, I know. to FA!

TheIronRuler:
Rps that survive over here have a certain structure you should have already spotted by now, being the awesome writer you are. A lot of these examples can't contain such a structure for a good long-running RP.

Perhaps. Could you refresh my memory?

Asclepion:

TheIronRuler:

Perhaps. Could you refresh my memory?

Rps that involve the group interacting and working together towards the same goal mostly, though other faction oriented Rps also run well with a number of smaller groups. This is either a quest-like RP or a 'Illiad&Odyssey' type of RP usually with a fish out of water tag.

They always have an enemy to work against, a looming threat or a defined goal and there's always a conflict in the background or the promise of a conflict brewing. You never see an RP where the heroes live in a farm and need to properly maintain it and run it while living with each other. This forum has a surprisingly narrow idea of a fun game. Not many slice of life RPs, and your ideas are always centered around a Heroe's Journey - a single hero, or a setting that won't allow for such a plot. Y'know how many ideas I've scrapped because they don't fit this description because I knew people won't give a shit?

Obviously, they all share the common theme of Flintlock-Fantasy; one of my favorite genres.

I actually have the last one (7th Sea) built up already (interest thread constructed but not posted), but I haven't finished one last section yet (on swordsman schools) and don't have time to run it.

Otherwise, the Ravnica thing looks cool, though I haven't touched MTG with a ten-foot pole since Time Spiral so I have no idea what changes have happened

You know, now that you mention it, I have been kicking around and idea for an RP involving aliens. I actually started working on the intro.

I might actually post it later, if that's alright.

hiei82:

Obviously, they all share the common theme of Flintlock-Fantasy; one of my favorite genres.

I actually have the last one (7th Sea) built up already (interest thread constructed but not posted), but I haven't finished one last section yet (on swordsman schools) and don't have time to run it.

Otherwise, the Ravnica thing looks cool, though I haven't touched MTG with a ten-foot pole since Time Spiral so I have no idea what changes have happened

This is the universe, but what would the plots be like?

TheIronRuler:

The first two would focus on the pre-stated wars. Because they are both real events with lots of historical information about them, it would be a simple war story, with the players as soldiers.

The first one would be focused on a crew aboard a dragon (one of whom might be said dragon). Because the Napoleonic wars had so much moral ambiguity on both sides, it makes for an interesting story when the players are put into situations testing their duty vs. their morality.

The second would be more of a"war is hell" game; literally considering the bad guys would be Cthulhu like monsters. Focus would be on trying to survive. (Think a survival-horror war story)

The last... well, it might be easier to just post the interest thread here or PM it to you, as I have so many ideas for the world (its a preexisting game world so it has a lot of background information). I was actually going to just hold a vote for what kind of story it would be.

7th Sea interest Thread Beta 1:

Voting:

The world of 7th Sea is, as you have no doubt noticed, vast and complex. Truthfully, I have dozens of ideas for plots in the world (from a group of explorers caught in a world ending mystery to Knights of the Rose and Cross out to right wrongs, to pirates out to do those very same wrongs.) As such, I have decided to borrow one of the rules mechanics from the game - The Campaign Interest Table. Each player has 100 "points" to divide up between the different themes - thus giving a little control over the events. Note that each theme will be involved to some degree, your vote just says "what happens more often" The Themes are as follows:

Intrigue: This represents the conspiracies, the political double crosses, the makings of a grand plot mystery to unravel. It represents a focus on Plot and Narrative above all else.

Action: This represents the ridiculous fighting scenes in interesting locations - aboard navy ships in storms fighting against a pirates or in castles in Castile fighting battalions of Montaigne troops.

Romance: This represents the stories of love, of damsels (or princes) in distress, of Prince (or Princess) Charming's, and stories of loves players are out to find.

Exploration: this represents stories of searching for hidden treasure in deep ruins of ancient cultures, of finding new unexplored lands, and or finding buried pirate treasure on haunted islands.

Military: This represents stories of war, where survival is the first goal, and the defeat of armies is the second goal. It focuses on military conquest and tactics. Expect to be fighting in the trenches to claim an enemy castle.

I will decide if the game is better suited for land or sea based on the character submissions and theme votes.

We could see a properly done whoever you want arena combat game run by someone with competence, unlike the previous few that have made their ways on the forum.

drmigit2:
We could see a properly done whoever you want arena combat game run by someone with competence, unlike the previous few that have made their ways on the forum.

Aye, though the RP I'm planning on launching (hoping for more attention) won't dwell on arena fights much and branch out later.

Speaking of which, what would happen if you have arena fights? Won't one side die in the conflict? What will you do with PvP?

hiei82:

TheIronRuler:

The first two would focus on the pre-stated wars. Because they are both real events with lots of historical information about them, it would be a simple war story, with the players as soldiers.

The first one would be focused on a crew aboard a dragon (one of whom might be said dragon). Because the Napoleonic wars had so much moral ambiguity on both sides, it makes for an interesting story when the players are put into situations testing their duty vs. their morality.

The second would be more of a"war is hell" game; literally considering the bad guys would be Cthulhu like monsters. Focus would be on trying to survive. (Think a survival-horror war story)

The last... well, it might be easier to just post the interest thread here or PM it to you, as I have so many ideas for the world (its a preexisting game world so it has a lot of background information). I was actually going to just hold a vote for what kind of story it would be.

7th Sea interest Thread Beta 1:

Voting:

The world of 7th Sea is, as you have no doubt noticed, vast and complex. Truthfully, I have dozens of ideas for plots in the world (from a group of explorers caught in a world ending mystery to Knights of the Rose and Cross out to right wrongs, to pirates out to do those very same wrongs.) As such, I have decided to borrow one of the rules mechanics from the game - The Campaign Interest Table. Each player has 100 "points" to divide up between the different themes - thus giving a little control over the events. Note that each theme will be involved to some degree, your vote just says "what happens more often" The Themes are as follows:

Intrigue: This represents the conspiracies, the political double crosses, the makings of a grand plot mystery to unravel. It represents a focus on Plot and Narrative above all else.

Action: This represents the ridiculous fighting scenes in interesting locations - aboard navy ships in storms fighting against a pirates or in castles in Castile fighting battalions of Montaigne troops.

Romance: This represents the stories of love, of damsels (or princes) in distress, of Prince (or Princess) Charming's, and stories of loves players are out to find.

Exploration: this represents stories of searching for hidden treasure in deep ruins of ancient cultures, of finding new unexplored lands, and or finding buried pirate treasure on haunted islands.

Military: This represents stories of war, where survival is the first goal, and the defeat of armies is the second goal. It focuses on military conquest and tactics. Expect to be fighting in the trenches to claim an enemy castle.

I will decide if the game is better suited for land or sea based on the character submissions and theme votes.

How the hell can you use historic events with motherfucking dragons?
Furthermore, war is something LONG that takes years. Battles would last hours and will be far in between. If you see other RPs they mostly happen in the fame of a few hours/days with perhaps some time-jumps. A battle doesn't have much of a definitive goal and in these times you would be simply following orders and not taking initiative. Do you see some of the issues I have with it or do you object?

TheIronRuler:
Sniiip

It depends on the roleplay. Sometimes yes, but the way I used to judge these when I hosted them was that I had a co-gm and the two of us watched the fight. If the fight did not resolve itself between the two players (IE, one writes the other into a corner and there is no realistic way the other could win and the second player lets him win), we decided who won based on who wrote the best. Not just in wording, but in creativity, ingenuity, how well they stayed in character and other aspects.

They are fairly easy to manage and I rarely had to use my judging powers of doom, but I would always make killing optional, unless I had to judge in which case they had to kill. If someone avoided death but lost, their character still interacted with others and could do whatever they wanted, but was out of the tourney. It is a lot of fun because I also let anyone be anything with restrictions.

TheIronRuler:
Battles would last hours and will be far in between.

In the Cultureverse, battles are over before the neurons can fire in someone's head telling them that they are under attack.

Like, literally a million ships get destroyed in less than a second. A GSV fights 230,000,000 ships and wins.

Which is why hyperspace energy construct AIs are running the ships, and not biologicals/bags of water.

Asclepion:

TheIronRuler:
Battles would last hours and will be far in between.

In the Cultureverse, battles are over before the neurons can fire in someone's head telling them that they are under attack.

Like, literally a million ships get destroyed in less than a second. A GSV fights 230,000,000 ships and wins.

Which is why hyperspace energy construct AIs are running the ships, and not biologicals/bags of water.

And how the hell can players RP that? You see the issues you have with the source material here? Time frame should be some hours or days, while the players themselves should have initiative and a proper goal, along with a few suggested routes. I've tried to do that in my RP FA and if any of my players would like to state how badly or well I've been running it they're free to do so. I need a beat-down/ego-boost occasionally.

drmigit2:

TheIronRuler:
Sniiip

It depends on the roleplay. Sometimes yes, but the way I used to judge these when I hosted them was that I had a co-gm and the two of us watched the fight. If the fight did not resolve itself between the two players (IE, one writes the other into a corner and there is no realistic way the other could win and the second player lets him win), we decided who won based on who wrote the best. Not just in wording, but in creativity, ingenuity, how well they stayed in character and other aspects.

They are fairly easy to manage and I rarely had to use my judging powers of doom, but I would always make killing optional, unless I had to judge in which case they had to kill. If someone avoided death but lost, their character still interacted with others and could do whatever they wanted, but was out of the tourney. It is a lot of fun because I also let anyone be anything with restrictions.

Ehh, I dread the free-for-all tournaments with motherfucking samurai and cunting space marines. I have trouble with tournament RPs because there is no actual plot in place just a series of instances strung together.

drmigit2:
-Snip-

Agreed- The key to winning a PvP fight is to write out your post well and maneuver the fight into a position where the other player cannot realistically avoid the damage. Since you cannot say "I sever his head with my claymore" you instead have to get the fight to a position where you can say "I make a hard swing at his neck", and the only reasonable, realistic response he could make is to say "I get hit." If he can find some way out of it that you didn't think of, that's fair game as long as it's not godmodding or controlling some other player.

Most importantly, PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO WHAT OTHER PEOPLE ARE POSTING, and be very clear about where your character is and what they are doing. Countless other RPs have been slain by carelessness in this regard, we don't want to be counted among them.

I do, however, think you should try to fit characters within a certain theme, lest the setting become incoherent.

TheIronRuler:
And how the hell can players RP that?

They do it by being one of these:

And not one of these:

Remember what I said about it being very different?

I thought the man/machine interaction was actually quite beautiful. The attitude of the Culture ships to their crew is rather akin to how we regard butterflies in our garden; the vast difference in power means you could easily swat them, but don't because it would be a waste of life and you wouldn't see their colors. The ships, on the whole, seem to have some sort of kinship with a biological population, with nothing in common except their self awareness.

Of course, you could try telling a ship what to do, but I don't think it would get very far.

TheIronRuler:

Worked in the books, can work in a game. It doesn't have to be a perfect simulation - I mean we don't need to have Napoleon attack Russia in the winter, only try to remember the goals of both sides. Start at a real historical event (say, the Battle of Austerlitz), then deviate from reality based on the players actions.

TheIronRuler:
Furthermore, war is something LONG that takes years. Battles would last hours and will be far in between. If you see other RPs they mostly happen in the fame of a few hours/days with perhaps some time-jumps. A battle doesn't have much of a definitive goal and in these times you would be simply following orders and not taking initiative. Do you see some of the issues I have with it or do you object?

Cannon fodder - a fantasy war game; it can work if done right

It does have some issues - there's a reason I have more ideas for the 7th Sea version, despite the lack of dragons - but I subscribe to the theory that any game can work if done correctly.

So yes; I do object - at least to some degree.

Well pardon my french but I'll try to give comments on a great deal of things... Bonus if anyone can tell me what FA is, I know several meanings but for here it eludes me ?_?

hiei82:
Nope!

Yeah I honestly can't see the scope and ideals you have placed being even remotely possible. I might be being cruel to be kind, but Iron pretty much says what I would as well. Flash Wars and Time Skips do not work, PERIOD.

drmigit2:
Snip

I've got several set ups for that, but not sure for interest or genre, Mechanized Combat of Sporting quality, inter-dimensional fruit-looping around, or some other basis. It is a rather tough thing to put forward and run in a way that isn't just pure smack back and attack, with story being something to lack.

The Critic:
Snip

I wish you the best of luck, and that was actually next on my long list of ideas to put forward, but decided not to due to...
-Story Constraints
-Technology and Ease of Death
-Bad-Assery issues
... back a few months ago.

TheIronRuler:
Snappels

"The Heroes journey is a wandering path, filled with moments of mirth and wrath, but how often do you hear of them just relaxing and taking a bath?"
-A friendly bard before he was Decapitated (Damn you Bandits!)
I honestly was tempted to try my hand at such a thing, something simple and sweet, maybe even interesting and neat depending on who would bother to ride in a seat. Then thought against it after seeing the crowd around, I don't know. If someones knocking, and we're here talking, why not get this show rocking? (That is if I'm reading your comments correctly)

On an alternate there is always the closest thing I've gotten to a Slice-of-life, but it involved zombies, so I kinda don't count it. (Walking Dead Style)

Pappytech:
Hrump

Ravnica is asking a bit much, it'd be a chore for lore, and hard to get things down to a core.
As for ProHo and Gangstas (Word to your respective Parents), or even the space variant, (looking at you)

Shadowstar38:
Snip

I can't seeing it being anything more then what one can expect, a bit dull and unsurprising.

Asclepion:
Hey

The issue with that I think is the fact that sometimes scopes can be TOO BIG, or hard to understand. When the future hits a certain point it either can lose its luster or simply fall short for its own good.
A comic I know has a page that sums up how I imagine a certain point for humanity when it comes to weapons of mass destruction. I'll dig that up...

Ok Guys, I have to ask you -
Would you play in a near future environment where you will go through a prison break, discover you've been experimented on by the prison in order to make you more efficient workers and as a result possess better physical abilities, but the experiments included injecting you with seemingly unknown extracts from an extraterrestrial race whose discovery was kept a secret for almost two decades but now manages to escape from the research facility and reign terror in the prison you're stuck in, along with the fact that you've experienced amnesia due to the experiments and waves of memory periodically push you over the edge emotionally at sometimes the wrong moments?
If you survive through the escape you would flee to the nearby town and watch in awe as the aliens spread out. You can try to stop them or flee further towards the horizon, your choice.

Asclepion:
snip

Seems like you're pushing this to try to work again, with the problem being very few know the source material, therefore problems will arise, and the fact that everything happens in less than a neuron sparking kinda makes everything less than stellar in terms of post speed. You play a giant ship, great, I have very few motivations beyond killing what tries to kill me first, and then there's that super-mega-ultra-badass space shadow tentacle monster from beyond some dimensional rip right? Or something? And what's the point of role playing a ship? Do we fight, or do we simply float through space? In which case, why play a biological? If we actually do play a "meatbag", what's the point of them even existing if apparently everything else can out-do every single thing they do? Seems kinda boring to rp in a utopia to me.

Raynoson:
Disagree

Cannon fodder's up to 25 pages and going; clearly something was done right - and it uses TIME SKIPS (dun dun DUN!).

That is undeniable proof that it CAN work. The question then becomes, how to make it work reliably.

Redryhno:

Asclepion:
snip

Seems like you're pushing this to try to work again, with the problem being very few know the source material, therefore problems will arise, and the fact that everything happens in less than a neuron sparking kinda makes everything less than stellar in terms of post speed. You play a giant ship, great, I have very few motivations beyond killing what tries to kill me first, and then there's that super-mega-ultra-badass space shadow tentacle monster from beyond some dimensional rip right? Or something? And what's the point of role playing a ship? Do we fight, or do we simply float through space? In which case, why play a biological? If we actually do play a "meatbag", what's the point of them even existing if apparently everything else can out-do every single thing they do? Seems kinda boring to rp in a utopia to me.

Aye, Conflict is the catalyst of plot and a utopia isn't a place where you would find much conflict.

TheIronRuler:

Redryhno:

Asclepion:
snip

Aye, Conflict is the catalyst of plot and a utopia isn't a place where you would find much conflict.

Ah, but what is a Utopia but a Distopia in disguise. "Brave New World" was a Utopia - no war, no violence, no chaos of any kind; but it was maintained by the repression of free thought and drug addiction.

It all depends on how you make the Utopia work.

TheIronRuler:
snip(seriously, does anyone remember this handy little thing?

I've seen a "slice of life"-like rp go down pretty well, so conflict isn't exactly needed, but considering, from what I garnered from skimming the wiki, that these ships are warships, then what's the point of having a utopia? Humans are outclassed by the ship's waste dump protocols, and playing a ship that goes around space with humans inside it just doesn't often rp well

I really need to check this forum a lot more often...

A Sci-Fi mystery survival. Bonus points for cyber-punky stuff... Except to be done with a competent GM that doesn't get bogged down and forget his notes while losing facts/players. (You know, like anyone other than me... =/ ) That's what I'd love to participate in.

hiei82:
I haven't been following that =/

I don't read every RP someone mentions (time and etc), so care to give a summary of what has transpired, and the SCOPE of play your working with it then? Page count doesn't always add up to how much people can add fluff and stuff, not to mention OOC.
Anything can work but for the idea you put forward it seems like it'd be tough on anyone.

TheIronRuler:
BB is Watching...

AS in no need to PM me. I dislike the idea mostly for mood/background, it doesn't seem much more then what you say. Augmented humans Vs. Aliens. Character building and what not can be made, but to me the idea seems stale even with the memory and mash up of machinations.

hiei82:

TheIronRuler:

Worked in the books, can work in a game. It doesn't have to be a perfect simulation - I mean we don't need to have Napoleon attack Russia in the winter, only try to remember the goals of both sides. Start at a real historical event (say, the Battle of Austerlitz), then deviate from reality based on the players actions.

TheIronRuler:

Cannon fodder - a fantasy war game; it can work if done right

It does have some issues - there's a reason I have more ideas for the 7th Sea version, despite the lack of dragons - but I subscribe to the theory that any game can work if done correctly.

So yes; I do object - at least to some degree.

Please don't compare Iron to Nuba. They have entirely different styles and Iron tends to play a more passive role as a DM. He also uses proper grammar, has too to and two correct, spell checks so he says does instead of dose and overall has a more focused structure without being an overzealous control freak who shuts down when criticized like that one GM.

Should that RP be run, my experiences with Iron tell me that it would be a multi-faction ordeal with the battles actually being war battles, instead of a group of five people dog piling on a rock monster. The RP you have described is actually very far from Cannon Fodder, and the reason Cannon Fodder worked with time skips is that everyone was on the same team and it was entirely combat based. Having multiple factions makes a timeskip almost impossible. Your RP idea is interesting for sure and could be done, but it would take A LOT of management and care put into the mechanics to work properly. On top of that, it might fail and from what Iron is saying, he does not want an RP that could fail, he just wants one that will stay for a while.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked