Your desire is our Command - What do YOU want to play as?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Geth Reich:

TheIronRuler:

Geth Reich:

ENDLESS CONFLICT.

Well, better that then a confirmation of it's demise, I'll stay here and skim through this manual for the occupation of Poland in anticipation. Also, though I'd require a bit more schooling then just Shogun 2's encylopedia, I would very much enjoy a RP set during Sengoku Jidai-era Japan and the Ikki-Ikko rebellion-an RP that would hopefully involve lots of backstabbing and forced seppuku!

I've been building the idea of having shit go down during the rebellion with black ships appearing (in the north!), illegal missionaries running around with arquebusiers, rebellious peasants, priests and ronin... AH, the Era is brilliant to set a game in, the problem is that it's chaotic as all fuck. I can't find a good idea or a quest or whatever to frame the RP in.

I captured the Black Ship in one of my campaigns, it made an absolute mockery of the notion that any clan could challenge my control of the waters and precious trade routes-having over two dozen Nanban Trade Ships to support it were just hilarious overkill.

Missionaries with guns: the best way to spread religion! You mentioned earlier you'd like to do an RP about ordinary people trying to survive the fallout of some catastrophic event-perhaps a Feudal Japanese era RP could have the players as townsfolk or lower Samurai caught in the crossfire of a war between two powerful clans, merely trying to survive the clashing juggernauts?

Mashing the two ideas won't work. The situation is too alien for normal folk to be able to play a "slice of life" game in it. You don't understand the language or way of life of people in this place and era, and if you already do that so why not make it more wacky with gun totting missionaries and badass drunk bands of ronin?

What I meant was a cataclysmic event, like a huge earthquake in the USA or an all out war in Europe, maybe of the supernatural kind - an alien race showing itself in France while we're living in Kansas or a gateway to hell opening in China while we're living in Lancaster - It's far away, it's very awesome and dangerous - but we don't have anything to do with it. We're living the fallout of these events, but we're not as much heavily effected by it.

What about something set within the mythos of 'The One Thousand and One Nights,' you know, Aldadin, Sinbad and Ali Baba and the Fouty thieves. There could be a verity of set ups and plot hooks, plus adventure, wealth and magic for those who seek it.

MortifiedPenguin:
What about something set within the mythos of 'The One Thousand and One Nights,' you know, Aldadin, Sinbad and Ali Baba and the Fouty thieves. There could be a verity of set ups and plot hooks, plus adventure, wealth and magic for those who seek it.

That's a collection of Arab fairy-tales. Wanna make an RP where it's all about the Brothers Grim's books? Same deal. It CAN work, depending on WHAT you use exactly, what laws are in place, the setting in WHO you can play as. Most importantly - the framing. What's the plot going to be like?

TheIronRuler:

Geth Reich:

TheIronRuler:

I've been building the idea of having shit go down during the rebellion with black ships appearing (in the north!), illegal missionaries running around with arquebusiers, rebellious peasants, priests and ronin... AH, the Era is brilliant to set a game in, the problem is that it's chaotic as all fuck. I can't find a good idea or a quest or whatever to frame the RP in.

I captured the Black Ship in one of my campaigns, it made an absolute mockery of the notion that any clan could challenge my control of the waters and precious trade routes-having over two dozen Nanban Trade Ships to support it were just hilarious overkill.

Missionaries with guns: the best way to spread religion! You mentioned earlier you'd like to do an RP about ordinary people trying to survive the fallout of some catastrophic event-perhaps a Feudal Japanese era RP could have the players as townsfolk or lower Samurai caught in the crossfire of a war between two powerful clans, merely trying to survive the clashing juggernauts?

Mashing the two ideas won't work. The situation is too alien for normal folk to be able to play a "slice of life" game in it. You don't understand the language or way of life of people in this place and era, and if you already do that so why not make it more wacky with gun totting missionaries and badass drunk bands of ronin?

What I meant was a cataclysmic event, like a huge earthquake in the USA or an all out war in Europe, maybe of the supernatural kind - an alien race showing itself in France while we're living in Kansas or a gateway to hell opening in China while we're living in Lancaster - It's far away, it's very awesome and dangerous - but we don't have anything to do with it. We're living the fallout of these events, but we're not as much heavily effected by it.

Ok then-how about an RP about farmers trying to make a living in the middle of a Oni demon outbreak in Kyoto!

Nah you made your point, I understand. Now I want to do a Onimusha RP.....

oh oh, i got another one, AND! it could in theory cover quite a few of the requests on this thread as well.

Antarctic Press's Gold Digger universe.

it's the only place i've seen a ninja pirate leprechauns, with transforming boat robot played with a straight face and work, where elements of high fantasy and high sci-fi not only coexist, but can actually work together, and have a talking dog from an alternate K9 controlled future. if you wanna be it, this universe can support it, no matter how far out there, with out even flinching.

best part is we wouldn't need the main cast at all, the way the worlds (there's like 4 or 5, not counting the extra dimensional stuff) are set up, we could very easily come up with a plot on our own with out ever touching the events of the series, and 'playing fast and loose' with the cannon is pretty much what the author, Fred Perry, does anyway, so no need to worry about breaking it with a 'magi-tech dragon' (since I'm pretty sure i've seen one a those in the books ....)

Geth Reich:

TheIronRuler:

Geth Reich:

Ok then-how about an RP about farmers trying to make a living in the middle of a Oni demon outbreak in Kyoto!

Alright, the more I read about this Sengoku-era Japanese RP, the more I want it. Why not make it to where everyone is in control of their own clan. It may sound like Shogun 2 in word form but hey, what can you do. We could at least take out the economic side of things and focus mainly on the battles and backstabbing and generals committing sepukku. Or maybe we could have a modern day clan fight, kinda like this one anime that had highschool kids be the reincarnations of warriors from the War of the 3 States era in China. I don't know, I just want it to work out somehow.

Grim327:

Geth Reich:

TheIronRuler:

Alright, the more I read about this Sengoku-era Japanese RP, the more I want it. Why not make it to where everyone is in control of their own clan. It may sound like Shogun 2 in word form but hey, what can you do. We could at least take out the economic side of things and focus mainly on the battles and backstabbing and generals committing sepukku. Or maybe we could have a modern day clan fight, kinda like this one anime that had highschool kids be the reincarnations of warriors from the War of the 3 States era in China. I don't know, I just want it to work out somehow.

Hey, I like the era too!
The reason why I chose the Ikko-Ikku rebellion is because you had then armies of peasants and warrior monks, the black ships were in the south with Portuguese and Dutch missionaries & merchants running around and firearms only getting into the mainland. With lords being overthrown by the uprising peasants and monks joining the uprising (that also has a religious side) it was a very interesting era because you have a RANGE of POSSIBILITIES as to WHO TO PLAY. Thing is, if you Really want to play a motherfucking clan head then you should choose another more eventful era in that regard because compared to other larger conflicts this is pretty local.

Grim327:

Geth Reich:

TheIronRuler:

I think the Daimyo idea could work as long as people restrained themselves in posts and didn't write "And then I sent a million Samurai to attack that clan!"-in fact, being Daimyo could focus on the complicated politics and diplomacy-with lots of juicy subterfuge thrown in as well-between such powerful figures so that posts focus on outmaneuvering rivals and securing allies with the battles taking a background role (people could describe them and their results but we wouldn't be actually fighting ourselves).

Or would that just be too-slow paced?

Geth Reich:

Grim327:

Geth Reich:

I think the Daimyo idea could work as long as people restrained themselves in posts and didn't write "And then I sent a million Samurai to attack that clan!"-in fact, being Daimyo could focus on the complicated politics and diplomacy-with lots of juicy subterfuge thrown in as well-between such powerful figures so that posts focus on outmaneuvering rivals and securing allies with the battles taking a background role (people could describe them and their results but we wouldn't be actually fighting ourselves).

A game of thrones != Japanese Daimyos. I seriously doubt people understand how this works and how to play as one in an RP.

TheIronRuler:

Geth Reich:

Grim327:

A game of thrones != Japanese Daimyos. I seriously doubt people understand how this works and how to play as one in an RP.

"!=" ???

Hmmmm.....well I'm all out of ideas for now, save RPs set in game universes like Bioshock or Fallout.

Geth Reich:

TheIronRuler:

Geth Reich:

"!=" ???

Hmmmm.....well I'm all out of ideas for now, save RPs set in game universes like Bioshock or Fallout.

Oh sorry. It's game language for "not equal" or the opposite of "=", meaning that a Game of thrones isn't anything like Japanese Daimyos.

TheIronRuler:

Oh sorry. It's game language for "not equal" or the opposite of "="

Game of Thrones =/= something. You just put a "/ inbetween two "="

TheIronRuler:

Geth Reich:

TheIronRuler:

"!=" ???

Oh sorry. It's game language for "not equal" or the opposite of "=", meaning that a Game of thrones isn't anything like Japanese Daimyos.

Ah right, well I'll take your word on that seeing as I lack in-depth knowledge of either.

Shadowstar38:

TheIronRuler:

Oh sorry. It's game language for "not equal" or the opposite of "="

Game of Thrones =/= something. You just put a "/ inbetween two "="

C programming roots deep within my typings... I do usually use "!=" instead of =/=.

TheIronRuler:
Snip

Is it wrong to say I'd like a Dark Souls RP? From what I see, DS has the world and lets you interpret what happens; ergo, good for RPs.

thesilentman:

TheIronRuler:
Snip

Is it wrong to say I'd like a Dark Souls RP? From what I see, DS has the world and lets you interpret what happens; ergo, good for RPs.

Never played it. I can't help you with that. I'm not a console man myself.

TheIronRuler:

thesilentman:

TheIronRuler:
Snip

It's on PC, but it's pretty, well, let's just say it caused a shitstorm here when the PC port wasn't as polished. Now that I come back to this, I think these:

Darker than Black
Berserk
Rurouni Kenshin
Brave New World 1984
Anything by Asimov
The Dark Tower series by Stephen King

Damn, all of these could be potentially interesting...

thesilentman:

TheIronRuler:

thesilentman:

It's on PC, but it's pretty, well, let's just say it caused a shitstorm here when the PC port wasn't as polished. Now that I come back to this, I think these:

Darker than Black
Berserk
Rurouni Kenshin
Brave New World 1984
Anything by Asimov

Havn't seen Darker than Black yet, but the premise sounds amazing.

Also, someone should totally do a Kenshin RP. It will scratch the feudal Japan itch everyone has.

thesilentman:

TheIronRuler:

thesilentman:

Darker than Black
Berserk
Rurouni Kenshin
Brave New World 1984
Anything by Asimov

Darker than Black - how the fuck are you supposed to have normal rules here.

Berserk.... again. Unrelated plot, how?

1984... Oh hell naw.

fuck Stephen King.

Shadowstar38:

thesilentman:

TheIronRuler:

Darker than Black
Berserk
Rurouni Kenshin
Brave New World 1984
Anything by Asimov

Also, someone should totally do a Kenshin RP. It will scratch the feudal Japan itch everyone has.

But.. but... the slice of life... it BURNS my FLESH.
Sorry, sorry. Still, it's a character piece, nothing we can do in a group RP.

TheIronRuler:

Shadowstar38:

thesilentman:

Darker than Black
Berserk
Rurouni Kenshin
Brave New World 1984
Anything by Asimov

Which one? DtB or Kenshin?

Shadowstar38:

TheIronRuler:

Shadowstar38:

Which one? DtB or Kenshin?

Guess.
Kenshin, obviously! The Chinese student by day, murderer by night can't be translated period.

TheIronRuler:

Guess.
Kenshin, obviously! The Chinese student by day, murderer by night can't be translated period.

...Are we talking about the same thing here?

Shadowstar38:

TheIronRuler:

Guess.

...Are we talking about the same thing here?

You're making my head hurt.
Darker than Black - "ZHE PLOT"

Ten years ago, an inscrutable and abnormal territory known as Hell's Gate appeared in Tokyo, altering the sky and wreaking havoc on the landscape. The real stars disappeared, replaced by false stars. During this time, people possessing various special abilities emerged, each capable of different supernatural feats - these are known as Contractors. Each Contractor has a corresponding fake star, which reacts to their activities. As such, Contractors are usually identified by their star's Messier catalogue number. Kept secret from the masses, these individuals are known to murder in cold blood, smothering unnecessary emotions with logic and rationale. Their incredible abilities, however, are gained at the cost of their humanity - Contractors are thus named because of an involuntary compulsion to "pay the price" each time their power is used, which can range from eating particular foods and completing meaningless tasks, to self-harm and having their bodies change in peculiar ways. Various nations and organizations around the world train and utilize Contractors as spies and assassins, resulting in violent battles for valuable objects and information. Following the disastrous Heaven's War, the United States lost its dominant position as a superpower to a mysterious organization named the Syndicate. The story revolves around a Chinese contractor codenamed "Hei" as he undertakes various espionage and assassination missions in Tokyo under the direction of the aforementioned Syndicate.

Okay what did I miss? I've been busy with time traveling character sheets and everything =/.

Raynoson:
Okay what did I miss? I've been busy with time traveling character sheets and everything =/.

You haven't missed much, the thread seemed to have died for a moment there.

I'd love to have a Persona RP, or one based of any game in the Shin Megami Tensei franchise. Hell I wrote a OP and planned a plot for a Persona RP already, I'm kind of just waiting until people know me more on the site who would be interested in joining.

The problem with it being anything but Persona for a SMT RP is the whole thing where, for the most part, it's people Summoning Demons for their party while the Human just has a sword or a gun or something, I suppose you could have the Players directly controlling a whole party of Demons and one Human but I fear that it could get confusing and/or messy. Persona works because it's Summoning one thing, and said thing is a manifestation of yourself which you can directly control and isn't really a character in of itself.

Sorry if I'm not making any sense, or I did something stupid, new and all...

Guys, am I the only one tired of playing teenager and young adults in RPs? 15-21 year old kids, barely legal depending on your country? I can't find games where I can play as an adult, it's always people in their early 20s.

TheIronRuler:
Guys, am I the only one tired of playing teenager and young adults in RPs? 15-21 year old kids, barely legal depending on your country? I can't find games where I can play as an adult, it's always people in their early 20s.

To be fair, that tends to be the age most people are on these forums so it makes sense that the majority of characters are that age, that said are you sure you're looking hard enough? Right now between the RP's I am in I'm playing characters aged all the way from 5 to 63 without much trouble and an RP I'm currently running has a minimum character age of 21.

JoJo:

TheIronRuler:

To be fair, that tends to be the age most people are on these forums so it makes sense that the majority of characters are that age, that said are you sure you're looking hard enough? Right now between the RP's I am in I'm playing characters aged all the way from 5 to 63 without much trouble and an RP I'm currently running has a minimum character age of 21.

Aye, but I am not a fan of interstellar swashbuckling pirates in the high seas. It was a character created universe as I recall and I wasn't that keen on jumping in (sorry about that. Not my cup of tea).

I'm curious at the moment as to what I can play here. I've been a GM for quite a bit but it seems like people don't give a shit about most of my ideas. Maybe I should include more angst and teenager love triangles to satisfy people over here. I did have an idea to have a FMA:B RP based on the future of the world, where a rogue association is trying their hardest to create new philosopher's stones. Then again, this is probably a niche so I should look elsewhere.

TheIronRuler:

JoJo:

TheIronRuler:

Aye, but I am not a fan of interstellar swashbuckling pirates in the high seas. It was a character created universe as I recall and I wasn't that keen on jumping in (sorry about that. Not my cup of tea).

I'm curious at the moment as to what I can play here. I've been a GM for quite a bit but it seems like people don't give a shit about most of my ideas. Maybe I should include more angst and teenager love triangles to satisfy people over here. I did have an idea to have a FMA:B RP based on the future of the world, where a rogue association is trying their hardest to create new philosopher's stones. Then again, this is probably a niche so I should look elsewhere.

We are our avatars, Full Metal Alchemist edition? Would get to page infinity.

TheIronRuler:

JoJo:

TheIronRuler:

Well, you don't have to play my RP but there's lots of others, TheDoctor445's Vigil RP for example where most of the characters are at-least thirty and some are middle-aged. There's probably many more if you care to look, I've never played a teenage character over my couple of years on this forum and it's never been an issue. If there's something holding back your RPs (I don't know enough about them to say) then I don't think it's lack of teenagers given there's lots of successful RPs completely without them.

drmigit2:

TheIronRuler:

JoJo:

We are our avatars, Full Metal Alchemist edition? Would get to page infinity.

We are our Avatars? What do you mean by that?

JoJo:

TheIronRuler:

JoJo:

Well, you don't have to play my RP but there's lots of others, TheDoctor445's Vigil RP for example where most of the characters are at-least thirty and some are middle-aged. There's probably many more if you care to look, I've never played a teenage character over my couple of years on this forum and it's never been an issue. If there's something holding back your RPs (I don't know enough about them to say) then I don't think it's lack of teenagers given there's lots of successful RPs completely without them.

Really? Oh wow. I thought of making a character there but I figured the new world rules would be confusing to follow.

TheIronRuler:

It's strange to see, but you're right, a lot of characters do seem to be unnaturally young for the settings that they're in. I can sight my own RP as an example: we do have some characters that are above 30, one even above 50, but the median age is still very much in the early 20s. Personally, I chalk this up to the fact that a lot of us are in our early 20s (or around that area), and people want to have part of themselves reflected in their characters.

The Critic:

TheIronRuler:

It's strange to see, but you're right, a lot of characters do seem to be unnaturally young for the settings that they're in. I can sight my own RP as an example: we do have some characters that are above 30, one even above 50, but the median age is still very much in the early 20s. Personally, I chalk this up to the fact that a lot of us are in our early 20s (or around that area), and people want to have part of themselves reflected in their characters.

But what's wrong creating that middle-aged sod in a mid-life crisis with a wife and two kids depending on him suddenly being thrusted into a million years old conflict between the magic forces of the Negon and the dark forces of the Verbilon? Lots of conflict, much fun and when romance actually happens it has weight because he has a fucking wife and two kids back home!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked