Sixteen Tons, Open

Pages 1 2 NEXT

A haze of a dream is all you can remember from your past. Your rude awakening from the sweet strand of memory - the only reminder of who you truly are - echoes through your ears. A strong burning sensation in your throat forces you to cough violently in your bed. You had just experienced one of the last two reminders of your past, the second being your number tattoos across your right forearm. Underneath that number lies a small chip able keeping track of your body and check balance - along with your sentence, if you had any.

The place where you wake up in is a bunkhouse, a small and stuff gray wooden house filled to the brim with beds and other men of various size, age and color. They too had been awakened by the bells outside and you notice that more than a few of these beds are already empty. As the others wake up around you they hop off their beds and pull themselves outside of the bunk, their blank expressions signal to you that they might know what's to come. You leave the large room following the others and leave out to find yourself standing in a large courtyard.

Congratulations, you have just set foot in the center of the Henderson Medium security prison camp where you have spent the last few months in... a time you don't remember clearly. In fact, you don't remember anything past that snippet of a dream you had, a peculiar effect of an unknown event. However what drives you forward is the flow of inmates forward towards the mess hall for their breakfast and morning briefing. You look to your left and to your right and you see dozens of similar bunkhouses set up, to your right a concrete wall and to your left an entrance to the mines... the mines? What mines?

Deep inside the Kentucky earth is precious coal, and your job is to mine it. The more you mine, the more you earn, and the less time you spend in this prison. You have ended up in this prison either by committing a crime or failing to pay your debts. You can leave whenever you serve your punishment and/or repay your debts. You can buy back some of the time you may serve, but at the end of the day when you walk out you need to have a positive balance. Something tells you that you're deeply in the red. Call it a hunch.

You will be playing as a prisoner in debt servitude. You can always pay your way out, but you also have to pay for your food, tools and bed - things that usually keep your balance steadily in the red. Being kept in debt to the prison is something almost all of the inmates experience, though not all work in the mines like you do. You woke up with no recollection of your past or why you came here. The morning briefing gives you all of the information you have, though you do get to discover more about yourself through conversation with your neighbors in your bunkhouse and work-buddies. You're all from different bunkhouses and you didn't have much contact with each other before tonight, not that you remember it. You somehow feel reinvigorated - your feet are lighter that you would expect and your vision is perfect, even if you woke up next to a pair of glasses. Something feels off about your body and some of your fellow inmates might have already commented on it.

The world had gone to shit. With prisons privatized in the USA, it had a steadily growing population serving as practically slave labor. Debt servitude was a controversial law passed first by some states in the USA and became much popular when it seemed like it was fixing the economic problems of the country.

With new technology we can now dig deeper and wider into the earth, using up everything we can find in the earth to remain energy independent. Along with dwindling resources on earth more and more space probes and mining stations are being set up in space with the stations turning a very hefty profit in recent years after decades of losses to the state.

I would like to mention that the RP will go through quite a few turns and twists. I always find it hard to balance between informing the players of what they're getting into and managing to convince people into playing my games. I hate spoiling surprises but sometimes the way I would word this premise makes it sound different than it really is.

In its core, this is a "slice of life", one in which you will face yourselves, your guilt... your captors and a force to be reckoned with, one you can decide to face against and stop before it's being unleashed to the wild - or one you can leave behind in favor of driving as fast as you can to the life you left behind when you got behind bars. Within this plot you will face science fiction, justice gone wrong and try to avoid being eaten alive.

I hope this helps better define the story and would you should expect when signing in.

I didn't write a "personality" bit because I think it will restrain people too much. Your past actions define who you are and your first few posts will set the tone for your character, though change can always come in the future.

This actually looks interesting, I'll try and throw up a sheet tomorrow.

This looks bloody fantastic.

Character V4

lacktheknack:

Is the dream sequence too outlandish? I don't know if it's supposed to be an actual memory or if it's just supposed to be a crazy symbolic dream.

Dream sequence is a dream. It can be whatever you want it to be.

About the character - more fleshing out is needed. I need information in order to torment Richard. I know it's hard to write because I've left very much room for guessing, but I'm certain you're more than capable to find a way around that. I try to avoid information dumps and flesh out the story as we go along.

TheIronRuler:

About the character - more fleshing out is needed. I need information in order to torment Richard. I know it's hard to write because I've left very much room for guessing, but I'm certain you're more than capable to find a way around that. I try to avoid information dumps and flesh out the story as we go along.

Heya I'm also interested in this, looks really cool :)

Do you mind giving me some more specific hints on the kinds of information you're looking for in the sheets?

Evilpigeon:

TheIronRuler:

Heya I'm also interested in this, looks really cool :)

Do you mind giving me some more specific hints on the kinds of information you're looking for in the sheets?

Most basic information is their life and how they became prisoners. Whether the person was a violent criminal outside or he was just caught doing some scams. Maybe the person got into a debt he couldn't pay and lost his business and his house, forcing him to leave him family to fend for himself as he paid off his debt. This is important to how you're going to react in this situation. If you've already shot a gun before when you were a soldier for the mafia or if you've already pick-pocketed someone while act as a thief. Perhaps you were a big-shot executive with your hand too dip in the cookie-jar? This is what I want to see.
More details would be the state of your family and relatives, friends outside of prison and within the prison.

Okay thanks, writing it up now. The memory loss is to do with whatever has just happened to us, rather than coming to prison correct? Just want to make sure.

Evilpigeon:
Okay thanks, writing it up now. The memory loss is to do with whatever has just happened to us, rather than coming to prison correct? Just want to make sure.

Yes. You spent whatever time in prison till this morning when you woke up with no memory besides your dream sequence.

How's this?

I'd like to give this a shot.

Bio V2 complete.

[1] Which is pretty unlikely to be used in a Sci-fi prison...

TheIronRuler:

lacktheknack:

Is the dream sequence too outlandish? I don't know if it's supposed to be an actual memory or if it's just supposed to be a crazy symbolic dream.

Dream sequence is a dream. It can be whatever you want it to be.

I've edit'd my first post with more details about his life. Need more?

Evilpigeon:

How's this?

Looks good, have nice hooks I can use and some personality traits thrown in. I'll contact you when I'm done with character sheets and start the game.
In the meanwhile get me on Skype, it's in my profile.

BeerTent:

Still a little WIP-ish... But if it's good, lemme know? :3
I gotta run to work, or I'll be late! D:

Did you have any connections in Jail? A gang member himself, perhaps? He does seem like a loner, always thinking of escaping.
Looks good, has nice hooks and I see some traits here. Nicely done. I'll contact you when I finish collecting players. In the meanwhile add me on Skype.
May I ask you to try and enlarge your bio prior to being arrested? Just so we would have more to work with.

lacktheknack:

Was the sister a he? that's new. I guess anything goes in my future. *wink*
Sp far a LOT of the people here are freakishly tall and well-built. looks ok, what did he do before he was 21? Any childhood phobias or did he live a an ordinary middle class white boy?

TheIronRuler:

lacktheknack:

Was the sister a he? that's new. I guess anything goes in my future. *wink*
Sp far a LOT of the people here are freakishly tall and well-built. looks ok, what did he do before he was 21? Any childhood phobias or did he live a an ordinary middle class white boy?

Whoooooops. <headdesk>

It's starting to really percolate now, I'll have much more stuff up next edit. I'm holding onto the freakish build, though, because I was here FIRST, dangit!

TheIronRuler:
snip

There, further updated the character.

Name: Micheal (Mickey) Chance

Appearance: 5'9", might be good looking if only he could put on a few pounds. Medium length blond hair. Green eyes that would melt the ladies, if not for the scrawniness.

Last Piece of memory (Dream Sequence): Running out of a card room and diving into his car, driving too fast down a wet street. It's raining and someone is pursuing. A couple sharing an umbrella walks into the road as he comes around a corner. He sees them too late and has to swerve hard. The rest is a blank.

Crimes (if any): Running up poker debts and petty thieving to help pay for the habit.

Bio: (Before the prison, Inside the Prison.) Compulsive gambler from the day he discovered online poker. When it became illegal, and therefore impossible, to play online he took to playing in illegal back room games, stealing from friends and family to cover his losses. He lost his job, his car, and his girl.

Inside he is quiet and quick to agree with others as he would not do well in any kind of physical confrontation. His food is often stolen from him without objection for this very reason. He dreams of escape but hasn't the courage or smarts to attempt it.

BeerTent:

[Shit, I thought of something new... aah, fuckit, look at the post.]

Bio V2 complete.

TheIronRuler:

BeerTent:
I'd like to give this a shot.[...]

Did you have any connections in Jail? A gang member himself, perhaps? He does seem like a loner, always thinking of escaping.
Looks good, has nice hooks and I see some traits here. Nicely done. I'll contact you when I finish collecting players. In the meanwhile add me on Skype.
May I ask you to try and enlarge your bio prior to being arrested? Just so we would have more to work with.

I added just about everything I could think of, really. You might have an easy time with him, as he may relish in the dark, he's also not the sharpest tool in the shed, and is totally unprepared for normal prison life, let alone a coal-miner's prison life. Also, I don't go by my internet name on Skype. You might find a totally random name coming out of nowhere.

BeerTent:

BeerTent:

[Shit, I thought of something new... aah, fuckit, look at the post.]

Bio V2 complete.

TheIronRuler:

BeerTent:
I'd like to give this a shot.[...]

I added just about everything I could think of, really. You might have an easy time with him, as he may relish in the dark, he's also not the sharpest tool in the shed, and is totally unprepared for normal prison life, let alone a coal-miner's prison life. Also, I don't go by my internet name on Skype. You might find a totally random name coming out of nowhere.

How do you think interactions would go with our characters? I'm not sure what to make of yours yet.

This looks fun. I've never done this before and have been wondering about whether or not to do it. if I could possibly commit to so many words but what the hell?

I'll get on with designing Melvin Flint right now.

I must warn you my imagination is messed up so the sheet's probably not gonna be very pretty especially bio. So just a word of warning.

lacktheknack:
How do you think interactions would go with our characters? I'm not sure what to make of yours yet.

Looking at your bio, I can actually see the two getting along. Once they meet and talk a bit.

I'm also thinking that the realization of "I can't do this alone" would bring Gray out a little more, get him asking around for favors, which of course... Isn't free. This will also bring him to divert attention to fulfilling those requests with something in return...

Maybe not such great friends with Peter, while Michael may be a target. Provided we get pockets in these uniforms.

2HF:

Appearance: 5'9", might be good looking if only he could put on a few pounds. Medium length blond hair. Green eyes that would melt the ladies, if not for the scrawniness.

Last Piece of memory (Dream Sequence): Running out of a card room and diving into his car, driving too fast down a wet street. It's raining and someone is pursuing. A couple sharing an umbrella walks into the road as he comes around a corner. He sees them too late and has to swerve hard. The rest is a blank.

Crimes (if any): Running up poker debts and petty thieving to help pay for the habit.

Bio: (Before the prison, Inside the Prison.) Compulsive gambler from the day he discovered online poker. When it became illegal, and therefore impossible, to play online he took to playing in illegal back room games, stealing from friends and family to cover his losses. He lost his job, his car, and his girl.

Inside he is quiet and quick to agree with others as he would not do well in any kind of physical confrontation. His food is often stolen from him without objection for this very reason. He dreams of escape but hasn't the courage or smarts to attempt it.

I advises you to try and develop your bio a tad more so I could have more to work with. Reason why he ended up in jail, secrets, personality traits, etc.
Looks good so far.

lacktheknack:

Character V4

Stamp of approval.

BeerTent:

Bio V2 complete.

Stamp of approval.

Evilpigeon:

How's this?

Stamp of approval.
That's 3 chars. I need 6, max 8.

[1] Which is pretty unlikely to be used in a Sci-fi prison...

Damn... I'm hoping is 3-4 still enough to at least get the ball rolling. It's sort of looking unlikely we'll get an additional 2-3. D:

BeerTent:
Damn... I'm hoping is 3-4 still enough to at least get the ball rolling. It's sort of looking unlikely we'll get an additional 2-3. D:

Maybe if we have a series of strategically placed bumps that double as further discussion?

I like how the personalities thus far are spreading out decently. There's no clones here.

TheIronRuler:

2HF:

Crimes (if any): Running up poker debts and petty thieving to help pay for the habit. Second Degree Murder

Bio: Started gambling online at the age of 16. Had some early success and got big headed about it. At 20 years old he decided to drop out of school to play poker full time and quickly went broke. Convinced that it was just a poor run of cards, he sold his car for practically nothing, believing it would turn around soon. Upon discovering these facts his parents kicked him out of the house and stopped paying for his schooling (they believed he was still in school for a few months). He stayed with friends for a few months, until they discovered that he'd been stealing from them to pay for his habit. His girlfriend, who was the sister of the friend he'd been staying with left him. He finally straightened up a bit and found a decent job as a janitor but it wasn't long before the tables called to him again. By the time he was 22 he'd been fired for repeatedly showing up late, smelling of smoke and Jack Daniels (his drink of choice at those late night card games). That day he sold everything he owned but the clothes on his back and the junker he was driving. That night he went back to the card room with every dollar he could lay claim to and sat down. He was soon down to the felt and put his car up as collateral. When that turned out as well as you'd expect he made a run for it. He jumped into his car and drove off. The alcohol in his system, the rain, and the pursuers proved too much to handle and after coming around a sharp corner Micheal killed a young couple.

Inside he is quiet and quick to agree with others as he would not do well in any kind of physical confrontation. His food is often stolen from him without objection for this very reason. He doesn't join in the card games that spring up here and there. That part of his life is over. He is deeply regretful for his actions. He dreams of escape but hasn't the courage or smarts to attempt it and believes he belongs here anyway.

I advises you to try and develop your bio a tad more so I could have more to work with. Reason why he ended up in jail, secrets, personality traits, etc.
Looks good so far.

If you'd like more just say the word. I'll give it a shot.

2HF:

TheIronRuler:

2HF:

Crimes (if any): Running up poker debts and petty thieving to help pay for the habit. Second Degree Murder

Bio: Started gambling online at the age of 16. Had some early success and got big headed about it. At 20 years old he decided to drop out of school to play poker full time and quickly went broke. Convinced that it was just a poor run of cards, he sold his car for practically nothing, believing it would turn around soon. Upon discovering these facts his parents kicked him out of the house and stopped paying for his schooling. He stayed with friends for a few months, until they discovered that he'd been stealing from them to pay for his habit. His girlfriend, who was the sister of the friend he'd been staying with left him. He finally straightened up a bit and found a decent job as a janitor but it wasn't long before the tables called to him again. By the time he was 22 he'd been fired for repeatedly showing up late, smelling of smoke and Jack Daniels (his drink of choice at those late night card games). That day he sold everything he owned but the clothes on his back and the junker he was driving. That night he went back to the card room with every dollar he could lay claim to and sat down. He was soon down to the felt and put his car up as collateral. When that turned out as well as you'd expect he made a run for it. He jumped into his and drove off. The alcohol in his system, the rain, and the pursuers proved too much to handle and after coming around a sharp corner Micheal killed a young couple.

Inside he is quiet and quick to agree with others as he would not do well in any kind of physical confrontation. His food is often stolen from him without objection for this very reason. He doesn't join in the card games that spring up here and there. That part of his life is over. He is deeply regretful for his actions. He dreams of escape but hasn't the courage or smarts to attempt it and believes he belongs here anyway.

Looks good so far.

If you'd like more just say the word. I'll give it a shot.

Do it! I like your character. He's going to be fun to watch trying to adapt to prison. :D

lacktheknack:
I like your character. He's going to be fun to watch trying to adapt to prison. :D

I hope you're not intending to make Mickey your bitch...

2HF:

lacktheknack:
I like your character. He's going to be fun to watch trying to adapt to prison. :D

On the contrary, he seems like the kind of inmate who I would keep safe from the other prisoners if he gets me things. :D

lacktheknack:

2HF:

lacktheknack:

On the contrary, he seems like the kind of inmate who I would keep safe from the other prisoners if he gets me things. :D

We could work something out. Mickey might need someone watching his back those times when he grows a spine and stands up to someone.

2HF:

lacktheknack:

2HF:

We could work something out. Mickey might need someone watching his back those times when he grows a spine and stands up to someone.

I just occurred to me that you should probably take the changes you made and put them in your original post. I missed them the first time, maybe Iron did too.

TheIronRuler:
Looks good so far.

Micheal (Mickey) Chance

Bio: Started gambling online at the age of 16. Had some early success and got big headed about it. At 20 years old he decided to drop out of school to play poker full time and quickly went broke. Convinced that it was just a poor run of cards, he sold his car for practically nothing, believing it would turn around soon. Upon discovering these facts his parents kicked him out of the house and stopped paying for his schooling (they believed he was still in school for a few months). He stayed with friends for a few months, until they discovered that he'd been stealing from them to pay for his habit. His girlfriend, who was the sister of the friend he'd been staying with left him. He finally straightened up a bit and found a decent job as a janitor but it wasn't long before the tables called to him again. By the time he was 22 he'd been fired for repeatedly showing up late, smelling of smoke and Jack Daniels (his drink of choice at those late night card games). That day he sold everything he owned but the clothes on his back and the junker he was driving. That night he went back to the card room with every dollar he could lay claim to and sat down. He was soon down to the felt and put his car up as collateral. When that turned out as well as you'd expect he made a run for it. He jumped into his car and drove off. The alcohol in his system, the rain, and the pursuers proved too much to handle and after coming around a sharp corner Micheal killed a young couple.

2HF:

TheIronRuler:
Looks good so far.

Micheal (Mickey) Chance

It looks fine, but try and size the level of detail in your sheet compared to the level of detail in other sheets.

I'm really interested in this, just one quick question, is it possible for me to create a female character that gets mixed up in all this?

I'll get working on a character sheet as soon as I can, I literally read all this and was instantly compelled by the entire premise.

RipVanTinkle:
I'm really interested in this, just one quick question, is it possible for me to create a female character that gets mixed up in all this?

I'll get working on a character sheet as soon as I can, I literally read all this and was instantly compelled by the entire premise.

I didn't imagine this would be resurrected. You should check and see if the others are interested as well.

There is no difference between men and women except for their different, segregated bunk-houses. You won't have men and women sleeping at the same area together, but besides that it's all open.

Don't drop the soap.

TheIronRuler:

RipVanTinkle:

I didn't imagine this would be resurrected. You should check and see if the others are interested as well.

There is no difference between men and women except for their different, segregated bunk-houses. You won't have men and women sleeping at the same area together, but besides that it's all open.

Don't drop the soap.

If this were to be resurrected, I would be interested in joining in. Now the Christmas rush has run it's course, Amazon are releasing their hold.

This may mean I'm soon to be out of a job, but at least I have free time again

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked