Zombie Survival RP (Title Pending)

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

The year is 2014. It's been five months since the beginning of The Outbreak. No one knows how, or even why it began, only that it happened too damn quickly. Cities were overrun before many could even begin evacuation, most military bases didn't stand a chance against the hordes of the undead and were wiped out completely. There is little societal structure left in the world, let alone here in America. There's been word of a few colonies spotted across the country, but hearsay isn't the most reliable source of information. The fact that trust becoming somewhat of a rare commodity between those of us among the living certaintly doesn't help things either.

Food and ammunition are growing scarcer as time drags on. Wouldn't be a problem, except most usually don't find themselves in one place long enough to really make use of farming, or manufacturing, and are left to scavenge the darkened cities for supplies. Obviously, there are many dangers that come with scavenging, and zombies are most certainly not the only concern. Your fellow man, in some cases, may prove to be your worst enemy. An uninfected human can be more dangerous than any zombie because they can calculate, navigate, deceive, and worst of all, operate a gun better than any member of the undead. Although that really doesn't say a whole lot considering the undead can't do much of any of that. Regardless, man makes a dangerous foe, one you most certainly don't want or need.

Finding a city, or even a small town for that matter, with functioning power plants has become even less likely than winning the lottery before being promptly struck by lightning. Twice. Alright, that's a bit of an overstatement, but the point is it's very unlikely. This is just a general idea of what you're likely to face once you begin your journey. If you think you have what it takes to survive out there, then welcome aboard.

Alright, I'm Mortis Nuncius and I'll be your GM for this RP. We will begin this adventure for survival in and around St. Louis. You character's reason for being there? Well, entirely up to you. I'd like to maintain realism here, meaning no one is going to have infinite ammo or superhuman abilities. I'd like to see a diverse array of characters, not just a list of walking badasses to choose from. Keep in mind that this means if your character gets injured, it's going to take time to heal. I'd like to also make clear that I expect those of you joining to manage your character's resources, also meaning I'd like you to be detailed about just what your character has. So, if you've any questions, please don't hesitate to ask them. I'll be happy to answer any you may have. Now, without further delay...

Have at it. ^^

Anthony... This has got to be one of the most Generic Zombie RPs I've seen, even as Generic as the one I did a while back that didn't end well. There's no practical story or hook or in fact anything different in the premise of "zombie apocalypse". You know what?
I'm pretty sure you'll get more applicants than I would ever dream of.
Anyway, if you want to have a chat about it hit me up on Skype, and just so you know Galen is back.

@TheIronRuler: Yes, well, as "generic" as this is, I'm opting to, rather than giving everyone some ultimate Hero's Quest, I'm making this something more along the lines of an open world to explore. I realize that, as it stands, it's fairly sparse but I hope that with the help of eager applicants it can actually be shaped into an interesting story for one to take part in.

Mortis Nuncius:
@TheIronRuler: Yes, well, as "generic" as this is, I'm opting to, rather than giving everyone some ultimate Hero's Quest, I'm making this something more along the lines of an open world to explore. I realize that, as it stands, it's fairly sparse but I hope that with the help of eager applicants it can actually be shaped into an interesting story for one to take part in.

This can run smoothly if you have good players with proper back-stories you can fuel the plot with. Otherwise there's no drive forward or a reason for the group to stay together... and I'll be buggered if I don't see a power struggle here.

TheIronRuler:

Mortis Nuncius:

This can run smoothly if you have good players with proper back-stories you can fuel the plot with. Otherwise there's no drive forward or a reason for the group to stay together... and I'll be buggered if I don't see a power struggle here.

I think that'll add to the RP rather than take away (as long as it doesn't create very real conflict between the players, of course).

I actually appreciate the refreshing simplicity here. And I like the setting; a nice midwestern city with a recognizable landmark and plenty of opportunities for whatever character I create to try and make it to the Anheuser Busch brewery. I think I'll submit a sheet for this one.

Tell me why I should bite. I love zombies but I don't want to get into something that kind of has a story as we go kind of thing...

Redlin5:
Tell me why I should bite.

Awesome pun intended?

I'm in alot of other RPs, but I'll think up a character for this one.

NeoAC:
I actually appreciate the refreshing simplicity here. And I like the setting; a nice midwestern city with a recognizable landmark and plenty of opportunities for whatever character I create to try and make it to the Anheuser Busch brewery. I think I'll submit a sheet for this one.

That'd certainly be much appreciated, and I thank you for the support.

Redlin5:
Tell me why I should bite. I love zombies but I don't want to get into something that kind of has a story as we go kind of thing...

It's more like the players have the choice of what storyline to follow, almost a CYOA. I intend on leaving somewhat of a trail of breadcrumbs for the bigger picture, the potential revelation of the truth of what happened, but it's ultimately up to the players to decide what they will do. Of course, I'm not going to leave things as open as a prairie. I'll be the guiding hand of varying degrees to ensure that things keep interesting and, hopefully, enjoyable for all.

ruedyn:

Redlin5:
Tell me why I should bite.

Awesome pun intended?

I'm in alot of other RPs, but I'll think up a character for this one.

Well, I certainly appreciate the interest.

Mortis Nuncius:

Redlin5:

It's more like the players have the choice of what storyline to follow, almost a CYOA. I intend on leaving somewhat of a trail of breadcrumbs for the bigger picture, the potential revelation of the truth of what happened, but it's ultimately up to the players to decide what they will do. Of course, I'm not going to leave things as open as a prairie. I'll be the guiding hand of varying degrees to ensure that things keep interesting and, hopefully, enjoyable for all.

Fair enough. I'll give it some thought and if I'm in I'll edit in a sheet come Monday. I've got an idea for a character but I'm going to watch what others write in first. The joy of a zombie RP is leaving is so easy. Bam, zombified and out of the picture.

Sheet may be coming.

I do have to ask, is it me? Does my history make you pass up on anything I offer? Because I don't know what to do here. Maybe it's a bad turn of events or maybe I just suck.

Mortis, I'll think about applying too. I could use a break from this. Maybe make a child character.

TheIronRuler:
I do have to ask, is it me? Does my history make you pass up on anything I offer? Because I don't know what to do here. Maybe it's a bad turn of events or maybe I just suck.

Mortis, I'll think about applying too. I could use a break from this. Maybe make a child character.

I'm still holding a grudge over the time you called me arrogant (even though in review I agree). I'm also kind of curious as to the period you type above your posts. A stylistic thing or what?

ruedyn:

TheIronRuler:

I'm still holding a grudge over the time you called me arrogant (even though in review I agree). I'm also kind of curious as to the period you type above your posts. A stylistic thing or what?

You're not the first one to ask that, but I'm not sure if I should divulge that information.
You hold a grudge over that? Unfortunately for our strained relationship I think I will put some more stress on it when I say that I don't remember saying that to you. Maybe you misinterpreted what I said? Anyway, I do believe I haven't worked with you for a long while.

TheIronRuler:

ruedyn:

TheIronRuler:

You're not the first one to ask that, but I'm not sure if I should divulge that information.
You hold a grudge over that? Unfortunately for our strained relationship I think I will put some more stress on it when I say that I don't remember saying that to you. Maybe you misinterpreted what I said? Anyway, I do believe I haven't worked with you for a long while.

Meh, it was petty anyways. Although it wasn't a misinterpretation, you flat out called me arrogant.

The Avatar RP flat out died didn't it?

ruedyn:

TheIronRuler:

ruedyn:

Meh, it was petty anyways. Although it wasn't a misinterpretation, you flat out called me arrogant.

The Avatar RP flat out died didn't it?

Oh I DO remember it now. You put out a half baked Character sheet and told people they're allowed to use your god-crafted piece of divine awesomeness of a barely-visible character sheet if they so dare to use it. I'm paraphrasing, of course.

The Avatar RP didn't die as much as the creator thinks it's in hiatus while I keep telling him to advance the motherfucking plot.

TheIronRuler:
snipped for reasons of ego.

I didn't think it was good though, I just thought of the character and posted it, and made up an excuse for why it was even there despite me not wanting to be involved.

I was kind of hoping it was dead, I hate my character there.

ruedyn:

TheIronRuler:
snipped for reasons of ego.

I didn't think it was good though, I just thought of the character and posted it, and made up an excuse for why it was even there despite me not wanting to be involved.

I was kind of hoping it was dead, I hate my character there.

It's practically dead. Maybe you should give the GM a PM so he'll wake up? He can kill your char if you want him to.

(Nvm)

And we reach that particular hurdle once more, the bio ._.

I'll come back with one, provided being a zombie is okay.

@reudyn: Well, that sheet certainly raises a concern I hadn't thought to even consider...but no, I cannot accept a zombie.

I do hope you hadn't invested too much of anything on the sheet already, but I really do wish you would've asked beforehand.

Mortis Nuncius:
@reudyn: Well, that sheet certainly raises a concern I hadn't thought to even consider...but no, I cannot accept a zombie.

I do hope you hadn't invested too much of anything on the sheet already, but I really do wish you would've asked beforehand.

That was about 2 minutes of thought. I can easily make another character. Although I'm slightly disappointed that I can't eat everyone else. I'm just curious what you want us to do without story or PvP.

ruedyn:

Mortis Nuncius:

That was about 2 minutes of thought. I can easily make another character. Although I'm slightly disappointed that I can't eat everyone else. I'm just curious what you want us to do without story or PvP.

I'll defer you to Post 9, second paragraph. It's open, but not empty.

What great timing. Just a few days ago some friends and I were discussing our zombie contingency plans. To bad I can't act mine out though, considering it's based around fleeing to the Adirondacks. From New Orleans, that's quite a hike lol.
Questions:
-How much area are we being given to mess around in? The whole of southern Louisiana or just a chunk around the city?
-How common are permanent settlements within this area? I know you said that people can't stay in one place too long, but wouldn't a walled off shanty town in the middle of no where be possible?

TheBlueShotgun0:
What great timing. Just a few days ago some friends and I were discussing our zombie contingency plans. To bad I can't act mine out though, considering it's based around fleeing to the Adirondacks. From New Orleans, that's quite a hike lol.
Questions:
-How much area are we being given to mess around in? The whole of southern Louisiana or just a chunk around the city?
-How common are permanent settlements within this area? I know you said that people can't stay in one place too long, but wouldn't a walled off shanty town in the middle of no where be possible?

Firstly, it's St. Louis, not New Orleans. And the whole of the country (and the world, possibly) is available to explore, in the best case scenario of course.

Secondly, not as common as one would think, considering how little some would have had to prepare after the initial outbreak. Not to mention densely populated areas aren't exactly favorable, what with the population almost entirely consisting of the undead.

EDIT: Misunderstood the second question. There are colonies, but very few and very far between.

You know what i have never done these before but what the hell

Name: Ryker Hampton

Personality: Isolated and quiet Ryker feels as if society had cheated him due to being sent to jail for a crime he didn't commit and because of this jail time he has become rugged and cares for no human life, but perhaps the zombie outbreak is a chance for him to redevelop relationships.

Appearance: A long black beard sprouts from his chin giving him the appearance of some homeless man he is also relatively thin despite his time in jail. His hair is a messed up as his beard and he still is wearing his orange prison uniform pants and a white singlet that raps loosely around his chest. A recurve crossbow is slung around his back it is battered but reliable and his Bolts sit on a sheath on his hip

Notable Skills: His father used to take him hunting and taught him how to fire, repair and arm his refurbished and repaired crossbow and as such has become a sharp shooter, being able to pic of zombies at range. He also has become extremely nimble due to the constant attacks on him in jail and thanks to this he can easily climb up trees and other vertical faces.

Weapons: Refurbished 1800 modified recurved crossbow.

Gear/Miscellany: Sheath with bolts (25) and a side back pack with a small amount of dried meat bandages and water canteen

Bio:

Ps: I have no idea what the St Louis area is like.

ruedyn:
Although I'm slightly disappointed that I can't eat everyone else.

1)Make a human character that's a cannibal.
2) Plot to eat the other survivors
3) ???
4)Full stomach

And once more I'll come back to the bio.

Query: What time after the initial outbreak is this set in? A few weeks after, a number of months, years, decades...?

This is important for the sheet I have in mind.

Redlin5:
Query: What time after the initial outbreak is this set in? A few weeks after, a number of months, years, decades...?

It's in the OP. Five months, just to save ya some scrolling. :P

Name: Roberto Ramos

Personality: Distrustful of everyone but fiercely loyal once trust has been earned. Quiet but with a strong will to live.

Appearance: 5'4", 130lbs, messy black hair, brown eyes, jeans ripped at the bottom, mostly intact black hoodie.

Notable Skills: Tree climbing, car boosting, knowledge of electrical systems, fist fighting, McGuyver level... McGuyvering skills

Weapons: Medium sized pocket knife, homemade slingshot and a handful of steel ball bearings, infinite supply of small rocks as well.

Gear/Miscellany: A backpack with a few bottles of water, a change of clothes, an old gameboy color with dead batteries, and a twinkie for a special occasion, and 1 tire iron.

Bio: Ran away from home (Memphis TN) at age 14. Joined a small band of car thieves in St Louis and has been in and out of juvie ever since. Was lucky not to be in a cell when the outbreak occurred. Survived by sleeping in car trunks until joining this group. Has no connection to anyone in the city and thus isn't looking to find anyone. Merely survive to see another day.

Other Notes:

Mortis Nuncius:

Redlin5:

It's in the OP. Five months, just to save ya some scrolling. :P

DOH

I dunno how I missed that TWICE!

>.<

Anyway, sheet here:

The axe was pulled from the truck they were in during the initial panic. The rest he picked up from abandoned campers on his way closer to the greater St. Louis area.

Mortis Nuncius:

TheBlueShotgun0:
Questions:

Firstly, it's St. Louis, not New Orleans. And the whole of the country (and the world, possibly) is available to explore, in the best case scenario of course.

Secondly, not as common as one would think, considering how little some would have had to prepare after the initial outbreak. Not to mention densely populated areas aren't exactly favorable, what with the population almost entirely consisting of the undead.

EDIT: Misunderstood the second question. There are colonies, but very few and very far between.

Thanks for answering. Now let's get at that character sheet.

I'll finish this up later today.

njrk97:

Well, allow me to welcome you to the Role Playing Forum. I certainly wish you a pleasant time around these parts and quite possibly this RP here.

I'd just like to say that I think this is a fantastic job for a first sheet. The limited inventory available to your character may be of some concern, but then again that can make some interesting instances, providing your character makes the cut (not that I have doubts, mind you). There's one complaint, or rather a suggestion, besides the few punctuation and spelling errors, and it is that I think the Bio could use a little more...meat. I love me a thick, juicy bio to put it bluntly. Now, I like what's in it, I find that it's a good outline for a backstory, but that's very much what I see - an outline. It's a foggy past, and I'd like to take an industrial dehumidifier to it so I can learn more about his life. How much was lost in his sentencing? What were his aspirations before that? How did he escape? Was he the only escapee, or had the events that occured allow the entire prison to be let loose on the already chaotic state of the surrounding area? These are just some suggestions, I'm not requesting answers for all of those question, mind you. But other than that, I think it's alright.

ruedyn:

And once more I'll come back to the bio.

Well, I await to see what you have for the Bio. First thoughts, his skillset intrigues me. I would assume military pilots receive training in one type of aircraft, though given his age, it wouldn't be farfetched of an assumption that he's had plenty of time to gain experience in both. Also, remember to keep track of his ammunition, unless you'd rather he begin with none to simplify things. ^^

2HF:

First of all, the Bio is pretty barebones. It needs some musculature, and plenty of it. How did he become good at "MacGyvering"? What is the extent of his electrical systems knowledge? Seeing that knowing is only half the battle, does he know how to put it to use? Why did he run away from home? Also, I find the idea of a Car Thieves Guild in 'Mound City' quite hard to swallow. Now, this may be my nit-pickery talking, but I'd rather he not have access to "unlimited" pebbles. I mean we're not walking through the Gravelian Gravel Groves of Gravelopolis through the whole RP. Of course this last critique is more a personal preference of wording than anything. Now the phrase, "what small stones and various items he can find" sounds more appealing than what is essentially "ALL THE SMALL STONES".

Redlin5:

The axe was pulled from the truck they were in during the initial panic. The rest he picked up from abandoned campers on his way closer to the greater St. Louis area.

I think this sheet is pretty good, although I feel his history could be expanded, if only a little. I'd like to know how he gained his experience in long guns. Did he hunt? Was he formally trained? Was he just a gun enthusiast? As it stands, it's fine, but I'd really like to know more about him, maybe a bit about his upbringing or life with his family.

TheBlueShotgun0:

I'll finish this up later today.

Aside from a few typing errors, there's little I see to correct about this sheet. However, his plentiful supply of ammunition is a bit of a turn-off, I must say. I mean I realize just how much ammunition is given to active-duty GIs, and given the time of crisis it'd be hard to imagine they wouldn't maximize on this, but I'd think he wouldn't be as well-equipped after having survived for as long as he has. But maybe that's just my desire to make characters suffer talking...anywho, I await to see what the Bio looks like.

Note to all applicants!

I must say, I rather dislike the idea of having "active-duty" militants as characters, not only for the fact that they'd be what I consider "too well-equipped", but also for the fact that it would allow them what I would call priviledged information for the kind of stories I'd like to see explored here. Prior military experience I do not have problems with, so long as it's nothing nearing the time of The Outbreak. Keep in mind these aren't requirements, I'm just letting you all know my thoughts on the matter.

Also, I'm so glad to see a variety of weapons. Should make things interesting.

That is all. ^^

Well since it's a sausage fest in here so far, I guess I'll mirror my L4D playing experience and make the best of a female role.

A Mortis-run RP about zombies? I can already see this getting gruesome in all the right ways. :D

I'm going to fiddle around with a sheet and see if I can come up with anything worthwhile. It's been a little while since I last RPed.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked