The Children of Erebus (A Cyberpunk Apocalyptic RP) (Closed) [Chapter 1]

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Welcome to the new world, soldier. Don't let the calm fool you, ours is planet of turmoil; constant conflict a midst a monster ridden wasteland. It's been that way as long as any of us can remember.

No one knows how it happened, the day the sky turned black, the day the dead rose up; twisted mockeries of the human form. Some were convinced that the world was coming to an end; that all life on the planet would be wiped out by this act of God.

But humanity survived, as it always does. We continue to survive to this day, sheltered in cities, protected from the outside by the great walls that surround us. It's here we make our homes; we're safe inside these walls and if we follow the words of our ruler, our continued safety will be ensured.

But some of us don't want to follow those words anymore. Some of us don't want to live in safety if it means living under someone else's boot. The walls may protect us from the monsters outside, but the truth is, the monsters inside are much more dangerous.

The rich and the powerful live atop the glorious skyscrapers. Above the black smoke they look to the sky and pretend their lives are still normal. Down on the ground, the poor and the destitute are left to rot. Scraping by on what they can, they exist only to serve as protection, labor, or amusement for their "betters".
This is the way the system works. This is what we aim to change.

From our combined voices, our presence will be known.
From our combined strength, we will seek to bring equality to all.
From our efforts, our people will be free.

Welcome to the new world, soldier. Welcome to The Children of Erebus.

Welcome to The Children of Erebus (A Cyberpunk Apocalyptic RP). I'm your GM, RatRace123, and acting as my Co-GM(s) will be SkyeNeko.
And in this RP, players will take on the roles of participants in a political revolution, set a midst the backdrop of life after the zombie apocalypse (more or less). Players will forge alliances, engage in brutal warfare and make choices that will come to shape the entire world.
Well, you've got a lot debriefing to do, soldier. Get to it.

Note: Applications and questions about the RP are no longer being accepted in the thread.
If you have anything you want to discuss, PM me directly.

These are the men and women you'll be fighting alongside, so get to know them!

I don't normally do apocalypses, zombies, or zombie apocalypses well, but I have been informed that the zombies will be more focused on the lore and setting than actually taking an effect in the role-play. With that in mind, here is the character I have been working on. It may be subject to editing, depending on whether anything needs to be changed.

Ordinarily I would give my character a surname: due to reasons explained in her biography, Sonia does not have one.

ERASED

Here's the kingpin.

Now it will be interesting to see if there is anything...missing in this RP.

Note to all applicants:

I will be looking over the all the sheets you present, and I might be able comment on some of them, but I can't guarantee it.
I'll post the accepted characters once the registration period is over; so, in about a week or so.

If there's further questions feel free to ask in PM.

Well, the bar has been set pretty high :(

Not my best work, but I'm tired. Point out mistakes if you have the time.

I like the premise, hopefully I can play, but anyway, here's my sheet:

Hope you like it! As always, criticisms or suggestions are welcome :)

I figured we needed some ambition here.

Redryhno:
Richard Voughner

There's a few grammatical errors in your sheet (mostly run-on sentences and confusing uses of pronouns), but what's more important are a few inconsistencies. The zombie incident where your character became a Carrier is a bit problematic. He would have been killed and devoured in seconds unless he managed to defend himself for a bit until he was rescued, which would be hard since I assume he did not get out of his cuffs. Even if you came up with a different scenario and reason, there would be no rescue. He would have had to have gotten away from the zombie swarm first, and then he would have had to hide any sign that he was hurt, otherwise the first group he would run into would have killed him on the spot. Even if they didn't they wouldn't let him travel with them. Too dangerous.

ruedyn:
Cain Wyman

You should extend your bio a little. He was a cousin of Saint Elisa herself? How was he raised and treated because of his status? Does he still follow their religion? What happened to his friends and family? What has he been doing in Triumph?

TheIronRuler:
Vladimir Nabokov

First of all, XRay specs. Sorry, you can't have those, and they won't exist in the RP, no matter how much you want to have a peeping Tom. If you want the night vision, they'll have to be goggles, not simple glasses. A few verb tense errors and misspellings in his bio... I'm not sure food needs to sneak in and out of anywhere. It seems a bit too convenient that the guard didn't see or hear anything either. Was he married at 17? How did he steal everything from the exhibition during a riot? I imagine he would be lucky to get even a few pieces. What reason does he have to end up with rebels?

Grim327:
Zayden Anders

Still waiting on that bio.

Mr.Ivebeenframed:
Ilya

How did the 8 year old Ilya survive an attack that took out a heavily armored vehicle?

drmigit2:
Jackson Golan

Sorry, but no mind control/coercion, even if it's over the undead. Second, there's no way he would be allowed to become governor, or close to the Baron if he's a Carrier. The Baron could use him as a pet, and even let him have some power and money, but I think even Jackson would realize he's just being used. You also might want to apply for villain instead, unless you can come up with a reason for him to join a rebellion.

SkyeNeko:
snip

The character won't work without the mind control. It is over the undead, but highly limited against them and useless against everyone who has not erased their sheet so far. The reason he got semi-close to the Barron was exactly because of how useful his powers are and the Barron decided to take a chance with him. Since there was so little info on him, I was hoping that would be okay. Yes the Barron is using him as a pet and Jackson knows it, this is why he is willing to join the rebellion.

SkyeNeko:
SNIP

Aw poop, I cut out a part of her back story by accident. Here:

Huh, just the bio was short? o_O

Made a few edits, nothing noteworthy just did what orange Ciel avatar told me to do.

drmigit2:
snip

I know your character is based on the power, but... we won't allow it, even if it doesn't do anything to other players. Sorry.

ruedyn:
snippy

Well, your bio was (and is) too short for me to come up with any real criticism... your bio does cover a lot, just in not a lot of detail. Try cutting it up into maybe 3 paragraphs (his childhood/adolescence, when he gets turned into a Carrier, and his present life in Triumph)

SkyeNeko:

TheIronRuler:
Vladimir Nabokov

First of all, XRay specs. Sorry, you can't have those, and they won't exist in the RP, no matter how much you want to have a peeping Tom. If you want the night vision, they'll have to be goggles, not simple glasses. A few verb tense errors and misspellings in his bio... I'm not sure food needs to sneak in and out of anywhere. It seems a bit too convenient that the guard didn't see or hear anything either. Was he married at 17? How did he steal everything from the exhibition during a riot? I imagine he would be lucky to get even a few pieces. What reason does he have to end up with rebels?

X-Ray glasses - fine with me. That includes seeing through walls, does it?
Goggles don't suit the character much. If anything, a 'fancy' looking set of glasses would be more appropriate than goggles. Nowadays it's all the rage among the royalty!

Food doesn't need to sneak in and out of anywhere, but there were ways of food being delivered through the kitchen directly to a room.

The guards were too busy trying to break up the fight and protect their lord.

I... god damn it the errors do make it harder to read. No he wasn't married, it was the lord's spouse.

The room was sealed tight and only he and the kitchen staff knew that there was an entrance shaft from the kitchen into the room where meals would be hoisted up. In the confusion the room was sealed away and guarded while the rest of the guards had to break up the fights. Vladimir got in, took whatever he could carry and left while the guard still had his back turned to him.

Why would he join the rebels? Why not if there's coin to be made? The man had lived his life as a criminal long enough, what better way of becoming a law-abiding citizen if not by supporting the rebels and other-throwing the regime, all the while overtaking a few businesses he wants to run by himself?

Sorry, I don't have a character ready yet but I am interested in joining. When's the cut-off for applying?

Give me 48 hours to get a sheet up.

Amethyst Wind:
Sorry, I don't have a character ready yet but I am interested in joining. When's the cut-off for applying?

The GM happens to be in Sandy's way at the moment. We were going to start a week after the OP was posted (November 1), but probably this weekend if things go well.

willofbob:
Give me 48 hours to get a sheet up.

Go for it.

TheIronRuler:
snip

No, no you can't have XRAY vision.

I admit I forgot about dumb waiters.

And I'm not sure how much coin he'd be making with rebels...

PrinceOfShapeir:
snip

I'm going to pass on your sheet. You'll have to wait for Ratrace to get back for comments and/or approval...

SkyeNeko:

TheIronRuler:
snip

No, no you can't have XRAY vision.

I admit I forgot about dumb waiters.

And I'm not sure how much coin he'd be making with rebels...

PrinceOfShapeir:
snip

I'm going to pass on your sheet. You'll have to wait for Ratrace to get back for comments and/or approval...

Darn it, I've lost my edge. Oh well, I can do well with other things too.

No, no - you're not thinking in the long run! In the long run, being a financier of the revolution would land him a very comfortable administrative job once all of the killing had ended and he could retire from his illegal activities... after receiving a pardon from the new ruler. Why not betray and settle some scores with the elite of the city while the empire is burning? No tyrant will punish him, the next ruler is going to be grateful for his help.
Every rebellion needs sources of income, and lets say that my gentleman had figured out only two ways of leaving the business - and the second one is dying.

Par'n rat, but what can you tell us about Terenthal. Also, my bloke is likely going to be from either there or Azora, so does the old world dislike of Joisyans from New Yorkers still have any credence, and what is your position on accents?

Looks interesting, too bad your're asking more than my lack of creativity can provide.

Only a very rough sheet. Tell me what you think, as alterations will be made. I feel it may ramble a bit.

The feel I was going for was that Tommy, whilre being rather intellegent and cynical, still holds on to a spark of childish naivety. He's fully aware that he sees the world through rose-tinted glasses, but he refuses to remove them. A large part of his character developement will be him realising he's 40 years old in a dystopian cityscape, and that it's time to wake up.

PrinceOfShapeir:
Tobias Deckard

Ooookay well, Ratrace won't be back till this weekend at least, but I was able to get a few words out of him.

1. The Yakuza do not have a huge presence in Ritheen. They do exist, but they aren't the main underworld force.

2. ID forgery is really, really hard to get into and be successful in. I'm not saying change his sheet, but just keep that in mind.

3. The Triumph City Database isn't like DMV. It's security is closer to a prison. There'll be no hiding out in closets and getting to the servers after hours. Surveillance is 24/7.

A small, perhaps related note... there are no credit cards or electronic banking here. It's either money, barter, or "favors".

willofbob:
Tommy Martin

A small wheelchair? Really? First, the streets are really congested. A wheelchair isn't going to make things easier for him. Second... why? He has cybernetic legs. What reason does he have to not walk like a normal person? If you're thinking to use it to travel between cities, no. That thing will not get him between cities fast enough without tons of fuel and luck, because those zombies will be chasing you from end to end. There's a reason why we use armored trucks to get around.

SkyeNeko:

PrinceOfShapeir:
Tobias Deckard

Ooookay well, Ratrace won't be back till this weekend at least, but I was able to get a few words out of him.

1. The Yakuza do not have a huge presence in Ritheen. They do exist, but they aren't the main underworld force.

2. ID forgery is really, really hard to get into and be successful in. I'm not saying change his sheet, but just keep that in mind.

3. The Triumph City Database isn't like DMV. It's security is closer to a prison. There'll be no hiding out in closets and getting to the servers after hours. Surveillance is 24/7.

A small, perhaps related note... there are no credit cards or electronic banking here. It's either money, barter, or "favors".

willofbob:
Tommy Martin

A small wheelchair? Really? First, the streets are really congested. A wheelchair isn't going to make things easier for him. Second... why? He has cybernetic legs. What reason does he have to not walk like a normal person? If you're thinking to use it to travel between cities, no. That thing will not get him between cities fast enough without tons of fuel and luck, because those zombies will be chasing you from end to end. There's a reason why we use armored trucks to get around.

The wheelchair is sort of a "just in case" thing. The way Rat talked, it seemed like there were places that forced you to remove your cybernetic implants before you entered, so having a wheelchair handy seems natural for that sort of situation.

willofbob:
The wheelchair is sort of a "just in case" thing. The way Rat talked, it seemed like there were places that forced you to remove your cybernetic implants before you entered, so having a wheelchair handy seems natural for that sort of situation.

As far as I see it, the only time one needs to remove or detach one's cybernetics is when travelling between cities. This is mentioned in the OP:

RatRace123:
These attachments are frowned upon within most modern societies, but tolerated so long as the laws are still observed. Travel can be difficult for cyborgs; robotic limbs must be detached and stored when traveling by caravan for the safety of the other passengers, and heavy use in combat can leave limbs damaged and functioning improperly. People who frequently use their cybernetics in such a manner are constantly repairing and refitting them, otherwise they risk the limb experiencing technical problems and possibly damaging the surrounding organic tissue.

In the cities themselves, I'm pretty sure cybernetics are tolerated, but not banned.

Well, it took me a while (for a variety of reasons, at least one of which will become blatantly obvious once you start reading) but here it is, done at last. As always, feedback, constructive criticism and garlic are appreciated.

Alright, I'm back and I'm looking through the current sheets.

I think a few more applicants are going to submit sheets so I'm extending the deadline to friday, the 9th.

Right, so I'm just going to put this here for now, still discussing certain facets on the back story, but for the most part, I think we're good to go.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here