The Darkest Corners: A Modern Fantasy RP (Interest Thread - Closed)

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 26 NEXT

The Darkest Corners: A Modern Fantasy RP

*Note: Reboot/Remix of the "One Hell of a Family" RP. Knowledge of the game is unneeded; it is merely for reference.

Welcome to Earth, but not as you know it. Unlike our world; the creatures of your dreams and nightmares, of your oldest myths and youngest tales, the things that go bump in the night and hide beneath you bed or in your closet are real. They live among us; monsters.

They also work the 9-5, worry about paying the electric bill, and get their overpriced coffee from Starbucks like the rest of us. As it turns out, humans are remarkably adaptable; enough so that monsters beyond their understanding don't really bother them so much. Sure their are problems - vampires still need blood and humans tend to need it - but by-the-by, its worked out pretty well for everyone involved.

Humans do tend to have it a bit harder then most; you try competing with creatures with supernatural powers for jobs - it's not easy, but things are peaceful.

For the most part anyway.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Character List

Character List Continued

all 'lore' related information, i pulled right from the GD source book, which i have in PDF form on my hard drive

Any criticism or comments welcome. I might have typed up the powers wrong and assumed that Level 1 is where there is total mastery and Level 4 is rarely used so my mistake. (-.-")

You'll get mine in a couple of days, currently in the business of rewriting it.

I'll have something for you soon.

I'm rewriting Richard.

By the way, for any people wanting to play Wizards, I'm the guy in charge of that, so you can come to me and I'll suggest super cool powers and such or work to keep it consistent with the other wizard lore.

Terratina.:

Any criticism or comments welcome. I might have typed up the powers wrong and assumed that Level 1 is where there is total mastery and Level 4 is rarely used so my mistake. (-.-")

*looks at powers... Looks like it. Thanks for the heads up.

@All: For reference:
4 = powers that you currently have and can use that are at the peak of there potential
1 = Powers you don't know you have, can't use, don't use, or extremely weak.

2 and 3 are what fall in between.

Kasten:
snip

Viking Incognito:
snip

Evrant:
snip

I look forward to them

@All_(v2.0): I'll look over the submitted characters submitted tomorrow and let people know what I think of them.

@Hiei82 Hah, sniped ya'.

Fixed

Will be submitting a sheet soon :)

hiei82:

Terratina.:

*looks at powers... Looks like it. Thanks for the heads up.

@All: For reference:
4 = powers that you currently have and can use that are at the peak of there potential
1 = Powers you don't know you have, can't use, don't use, or extremely weak.

2 and 3 are what fall in between.

Thanks for clarifying it. It's fixed now.

We're allowed any species from any mythos?

does that include time lords, then?

if yes, i'll have one posted tonight, else i'll come up with another idea.

.... you could be... a time wizard... buut since even Ascended have difficulties abusing the space time continuum, I'm a bit worried that Time Lord would instantly overpower everything, and be rather unbalancing.

c_westerman13:
We're allowed any species from any mythos?

does that include time lords, then?

if yes, i'll have one posted tonight, else i'll come up with another idea.

Yes, so long as 1) you keep it balanced, 2) you remember that The Doctor will not appear in any way shape or form, and 3) you remember the rule that once you are a part of events, you cannot time travel to solve the problem. My main concern would be that you not use time travel to solve the mystery without effort - which ruins the story for everyone.

Also: note the gm rule of no sudden jumps into the past or future. Time lord: yes, Tardis: no

I was more interested in the regeneration/knowledge side, really.

I was thinking, maybe a time lord who commited some sort of timelord-crime, and was exiled to earth (I know the doctor was, but... Its a nice hook), and told that he could find his redemption there. which he took literally, hence the travelling.

That being said, I'm now actually considering trying to make a Lich.

Which would be preferred from a story/power level standpoint?

I personally like the idea of a lich; it has more potential story hooks and feels more original then a "The Doctor but not really".

drmigit2:
Zaheer

I like it, but I have two concerns:
1) Could you please expand on the powers and, more importantly, define some hard limits on his powers. Maybe materials he needs to cast, or duration limits, or even hard reasons why he won't use his powers. A good game poses some kind of challenge to the players, and god like powers tend toward non-challenge enemies and difficulties.

2) The personality is great, save that it is exceedingly difficult to plan for a character that is both "above all others" and "emotionless". When a mystery, slice of life, or "invasion of the [noun] [verb]ers" does happen, there is little that a GM can do to draw your character into the story without a reason for the character to care. Please try to add in some kind of shorter term goals that can be used to draw the character into the story.

Provisional Acceptance

Terratina.:
Paaie "Pegs" Leslie

*looks at pegs*...*looks at terra*... I think the two are going to make for some odd interactions.

I like her, ACCEPTED!

side Note: Had no idea what a "gap year" was; had to look it up. Why is European slang so different from American slang?

Floris2123:
Theon Versipellis

Accepted (not that that's much of a shock at this point)

Wenseph:
Mohini Tasneem

Not quite sure how she will fit on the airplane given the tail, but whatever (i'd say thats what the extended leg room is for but... well... duh)

ACCEPTED

Kasten:
Richard Fortnight

See Zaheer above: please just define your powers and their limits. "Ascended Mage" is too undefined for GMs to use in any meaningful way, and has the potential to wreck a GMs plot. After all, a good game poses a challenge to the characters.

Also: I know your character's personality and reason for traveling, but this is a round-robin GM game, so the other players will need to know that information for future GM turns. please throw in a sentience or two on that stuff. Thanks.

Otherwise, everything looks fine

Provisional Acceptance

The_Great_Milenko:
Dwight Luvence

Like Kasten, because this is a multi-GM game, please answer the Personality and Reason for Traveling sections; I know the answers (at least for personality), but others do not.

Provisional Acceptance

Lunar Templar:
Lucia Draken

WOW! WHAT A DETAILED CHARACTER!!! ^_^ (as usual, I'm so superconductive I couldn't resist - if you got that joke, congratulations; you're a nerd)

Also, take your time.

Yeah, I think Lich is the one to go with.
Is this ok in powers?:

Powers:

4: Flight - as a Lich, Imperiousus is able to change his altitude as easily as his velocity, and centuries hence took to levitating above the ground almost permanently.
4: Immortality - Should Imperiosus' body be destoryed, It will be restored in perfect condition by his Phylactery a mere fortnight later. This has happened before. Many, Many times.
3: Life Drain - Flesh contact between a Lich and a living body is rarely pleasant, but if the Lich so wills, he can rapidly drain the life-force of any living creature
2: Control/Create Undead - Whilst this was used a lot in his life in the Roman Empire - it's considerably easier than physical slavery, and much more renewable - Imperiosus has been very out of practice in the last millenium. He could probably effectively command/create less powerful undead even today, with a little effort
1: He doesn't know it yet, but a slight error in some magic before his ascension to Lichdom has rendered Imperiosus immune to mind-control effects.

c_westerman13:
snip

Limit the power to controlling undead "Imperiosus" created and I see no trouble (I just don't want to see you trying to control other characters that might play undead (like a certain half-vampire I'm expecting a character sheet for - YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE! (as do half the other players) ^_^) Alternatively, create a reason you don't control other sentient undead (see Terra on Manipulation for example)

Also, please expand on the flight power (max speeds, acceleration, etc), just so we get an idea of how powerful level 4 flight is.

hiei82:

Also, take your time.

^^ eh, you know how it goes, the more you look at something, the less you like it, thus a rework becomes necessary

should be done soon, working on the bio/personality now

hiei82:

c_westerman13:
snip

snip

The limit on the undead was supposed to be the power thing, like I could control a weak zombie, but nothing on a character's power level. If this is ok?

and the numbers will be flashed out in the final draft, it was more the flavour I was asking about.

hiei82:
snip

and .... done :D now with MORE lore then the original

Lunar Templar:

all 'lore' related information, i pulled right from the GD source book, which i have in PDF form on my hard drive

Alright, I overhauled the powers and added to the personality parts of Zaheer.

Richard's powers are much like Zaheer's, I just named the schools he's currently got useful knowledge in.

As time goes on Richard will become better and gain more powers.

EDIT: IT IS COMPLETED!!!

c_westerman13:
Imperiosus

I see no major problems. PM me some ways to draw you into the story, as I don't know how to draw that kind of character into a murder mystery with "creatures that are beneath you"

ACCEPTED!

Lunar Templar:
Lucia Draken

I like it; I just want to know what she does know about recent humanity/other creatures and why she would be taking an airplane to London given her much faster and probably more comfortable ability to fly.

ACCEPTED!

Kasten:
Richard Fortnight

Thanks for the corrections: everything looks great!

ACCEPTED!

drmigit2:
Zaheer

Shape shifting: Shape shifting is fairly easily accomplished for an ascended and he can recreate almost any form he wishes, even matching the organic structure of the creature, though doing so inhibits his other abilities significantly as his more powerful abilities would destroy the body.

AND

Transformations outside of becoming another human: Same deal as with necromancy [isn't good at it]

I'm a little confused what the distinction is here? Is transformations like Transmutations? (Alchemy rather then shape-shifting). Could you please explain the difference? Thanks

Second; if you are a shape-shifter; please limit it to non-magical, weaker versions of the true thing (so the resident Were-wolf/shifter isn't overpowered by the mage; no one wants to be overpowered in their own specility). In essence; you could become a bat, or a dog, or a sea-sponge, but not a Vampire/Werewolf/Dragon. While not a problem for my game, it could be problematic if someone decided to make a "save the world" adventure, and as stated before; party balance is a good thing.

Otherwise: I see no problems; ACCEPTED!

Not G. Ivingname:
John T. Hardin

Not gonna lie; I started reading this character on neutral, hit Technomage and thought "this is silly", then by the time I reached the bottom I was smiling at all the awesomeness in contained.

The desire to see you making Golems out of everyday objects was perhaps the best ("I attack the demon with a toaster golem!")

ACCEPTED with great gusto.

Evrant:
Seras Rogue

I see no problems thus far; let me know when you are done with the powers.

On that note:

because this game seems to have a bit more power creep then I expected, I think some of the earlier approved characters may want to "level up"

The following people:

Evrant:
Snip (as you don't have powers yet)

The_Great_Milenko:
Snip

Floris2123:
Snip

Wenseph:
Snip

have my go ahead to expand on their powers if they wish; pending approval of course - just so they can compete with the Ascended Wizards and Lich and Dragon and....

This is by no means necessary - I intend to leave Terra alone for example - but the option is open.

@ALL: I will be closing the acceptance period tonight. Aside from the character changes I either requested or am allowing, I will be accepting no new characters following about 11:00 PM tonight (so anyone hovering around may wish to do so.)

Cybele:
Will be submitting a sheet soon :)

Viking Incognito:
I'll have something for you soon.

Because you expressed interest before this date; you can submit a character through Thursday if you still want to play.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 26 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked