Demigods : Version 3.0 { Closed, Started }

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

{ Demigods }

Version 3.0

There are many things in this world that are not what most people perceive them to be. Very few people in the United States of America would believe that the gods of Ancient Greece, mythological deities from two thousand years ago, are still watching over the Earth from their Olympian Palace.

The gods have moved as the centuries have passed, leaving their Greek origins behind and taking up residence in foreign lands: in the present day, they watch the USA from on high. Whether people know it or not, the Greek Pantheon has shaped the world over the centuries. And often one of them will take interest in a human, resulting in a child. A demigod.

These individuals, blessed with a portion of their divine parent's power, are safeguarded by their human parent until their early teenage years. Once they begin to develop and grow as adults, they begin to attract unwanted attention... monstrous attention. A gift does not come without a cost: the gods have two-thousand-year-old enemies. The beasts and beings that were fought in the old myths remain, for they can never die. The Titans, the Minotaur, the Hydra, Medusa... these are just some of the deadly foes that oppose the Olympians.

Once demigods are found by the teacher of heroes, the centaur Chiron, they are brought to a safe haven, a special camp in Long Island, New York. This camp, officially known as Half-Blood Hill or Camp Half-Blood, offers all demigods sanctuary where they can learn to fight, master their skills and adapt to their once-normal life.

You are a demigod: descended from two parents, one human and one divine. You have been a resident of Camp Half-Blood for some time now; some of you may have lived at camp for many years, while others might be in their second or third year.

Author's Notes - Please Read:
- Welcome to Demigods. I am your GM; at this time I have not elected any co-GMs. I may do so in the future, however.
- The original Demigods role-play was inspired by the 'Percy Jackson & The Olympians' series of novels by author Rick Riordan, including the 'Heroes of Olympus' sequel series. This iteration is no exception: it is, however, aimed at a more adult demographic compared to that of the books, and deviates from the series in many places.
- There have been previous versions of Demigods, GMed by myself and co-GMed by Yumi_and_Erea. Due to time constraints from my once-co-GM, this version shall be run primarily by myself, though ideas that I have will be checked with other people to ensure they are acceptable.
- - The events of Version 3.0 and 2.0 will be similar, since the plot of 2.0 was not fully explored. As a result, those who were accepted into Demigods 2.0 are free to use the same character for 3.0, should they desire. It is recommended that such characters are rewritten, even if only partially, rather than just a direct copy/paste. The character sheet template has been updated from 2.0's template.
- Some characters from the novels, such as the camp director Chiron, the gods themselves and monstrous creatures, will be featured as non-player characters throughout the course of the role-play.
- Events taking place in Demigods have no connection to any of the books in the series, nor will the events of the series be mentioned in the role-play.

I am looking to accept a reasonable number of characters: anywhere between eight and twelve (inclusive, of course) including my own characters. If you have any questions, feel free to post them here, or send them to me via private message or on Skype.

People with accepted characters are free to discuss sharing a background, or part thereof, with other participants. They will have time to discuss this with the others once characters are accepted.

Accepted Characters:

Oh god. I REALLY want to do this. I have wanted to do this since the first time I saw the other thread. I can't even describe the degree to which I want to participate in the RP.

...But I don't know if I can. I have a lot on my plate IRL and I have been trying to cut down on my RPing.

......I'm gonna submit something, probably tomorrow.

In the interests of being incredibly lazy, I'm bringing the Colt back for another go.

Question. When is the deadline for submitting a sheet?

Viking Incognito:

Darn it, you beat me to some of the aspects that I was going to use. Back to the drawing board I guess. Best of luck to ya.

Grim327:

Viking Incognito:

Darn it, you beat me to some of the aspects that I was going to use. Back to the drawing board I guess. Best of luck to ya.

Was it the divorce complex? The secret study of magic? Or the hat? It was the hat wasn't it.

CrazyBlaze:
Question. When is the deadline for submitting a sheet?

At present, there is no deadline.

Viking Incognito:
-snip-

Okay, I already see a few issues with your character.

First, the circumstances of his birth. None of the Pantheon would enter into such a relationship. While you do get the details of how the child is conceived more or less correct, children of Athena are born from the genius of the father and the divine thought of the goddess. 'Father' being the operative word here.

Second, I'm not a fan of his lack of interest in most things. If he won't finish his homework because he's bored, who would trust him with drawing up a battle plan? That's not what people look for in a strategist.

Third, Carter's powers aren't particularly... well, divine-oriented, unless you have some sort of grand plan in mind.

Fourth, more problems with the biography. You make almost no mention of the world of Greek mythology in Carter's history.

4a) "By the time he was 15, Carter and John couldn't speak to each other without arguing, and most of the time it was about non-mortal topics." What does this even mean? You aren't specific enough.

Fifth, Athena has never been described as being the goddess of magic. Why is Carter secretly studying it if it's not a part of his mother's domain? Why is it even secret in the first place?

Sixth, the enchanted item. In what way will this be usable on a mission outside of camp? That is one of the criteria that I look for in items and powers.

My entry. I hope you can look over it and tell me which part suck the least.

CounterAttack:

Viking Incognito:
-snip-

Okay, I already see a few issues with your character.

First, the circumstances of his birth. None of the Pantheon would enter into such a relationship. While you do get the details of how the child is conceived more or less correct, children of Athena are born from the genius of the father and the divine thought of the goddess. 'Father' being the operative word here.

Second, I'm not a fan of his lack of interest in most things. If he won't finish his homework because he's bored, who would trust him with drawing up a battle plan? That's not what people look for in a strategist.

Third, Carter's powers aren't particularly... well, divine-oriented, unless you have some sort of grand plan in mind.

Fourth, more problems with the biography. You make almost no mention of the world of Greek mythology in Carter's history.

4a) "By the time he was 15, Carter and John couldn't speak to each other without arguing, and most of the time it was about non-mortal topics." What does this even mean? You aren't specific enough.

Fifth, Athena has never been described as being the goddess of magic. Why is Carter secretly studying it if it's not a part of his mother's domain? Why is it even secret in the first place?

Sixth, the enchanted item. In what way will this be usable on a mission outside of camp? That is one of the criteria that I look for in items and powers.

Okay I see your point. I do plan on changing it I just feel like I should explain so you don't think I am an idiot.

First, I understand the parentage thing is very different, but like I said on the sheet; since the "conceiving" of a child of Athena doesn't really involve romance I was setting up the idea that Carter was a kind of science experiment; rather appropriate for the circumstances in my opinion. I was taking the liberty of assuming Athena would be open minded enough for something like that.

Second, there are some big differences between shirking math homework, and preparing a battle plan. The most relevant in Carter's case is that he would enjoy making battle plans and want to do well with them.

Third, unless you are talking about the secretly magic thing I don't really know what you are asking for. As far as I know, Athena's children don't really have any specific tangible powers like water control; they are just exceedingly smart, which Carter is.

4: I planned to expand on his pre-camp demigod experiences in-game. I figured not every demigod has to be defined by the monsters/mythical beings they encounter before camp.

4a: I mean matters involving Greek mythology. Arguments caused by tension between the two over who was more fit to defend the family from monsters and such. Things involving monsters and gods and Carter's parentage, etc.

5: I saw a bit on Athena's page on the Camp Half-Blood wiki that said she was sometimes considered goddess of magic and decided to roll with it. He would study it secretly so he doesn't have to explain to people why he is studying something that isn't widely considered part of his parent's domain.

6: It is just for taking notes. There were definitely a few times in the books where the characters could have used this on quests.

So, I will change it up, just thought you would like to know why I made my choices.

My entry. Please let me know if anything needs fixing.

Right, so here's the majority of my character sheet! Sorry about the current lack of a biography; those always tend to give me a bit of a problem, but rest assured I'll have one up either tonight or tomorrow. In the meantime, any criticism on what the sheet currently has would be appreciated.

Out of curiosity, will this RP take place before, after, or during the events of the Percy Jackson books? Or is this an AU, where none of the big stuff really goes down?

EDIT: Right, got the bio uploaded. Sorry that it took me a while; needed to sort through a few ideas before finally settling on this.

Pappytech:
Right, so here's the majority of my character sheet! Sorry about the current lack of a biography; those always tend to give me a bit of a problem, but rest assured I'll have one up either tonight or tomorrow. In the meantime, any criticism on what the sheet currently has would be appreciated.

Out of curiosity, will this RP take place before, after, or during the events of the Percy Jackson books? Or is this an AU, where none of the big stuff really goes down?

Events taking place in Demigods have no connection to any of the books in the series, nor will the events of the series be mentioned in the role-play. There are also a fair few differences in the universe, so as to adapt it to a more mature demographic.

Okay, I scrapped the other sheet.

This one was adapted from one I made for an RP that never got off the ground and I took all your previous points into mind while writing it

With your humble permission, Taza Kuruk

i feel like my sheet is... odd this time around.

Let me know of any issues.

I know you're dealing with a Ton of sheets, and I'm offering my hand if you need any help, considering you have 3 reserved posts for sheets. (How big did things get before?)
I may have missed this in reading but I'm wondering...
-Why not use the Actual map from the series? (It is both online, and on site)
-How are you on continuity for characters and events from the series?
-How many characters are you looking to have? Minimum and Maximum.
-For dual heritage, what would occur if one were to choose neither of their divine heritages?
---
Whether or not I join/get accepted, I wish you the best of luck in this undertaking, and hope the gods look well upon your actions... or at least tolerant to a point.

Raynoson:
I know you dealing with a Ton of sheets, and I'm offering my hand if you need any help, considering you have 3 reserved posts for sheets. (How big did things get before?)
I may have missed this in reading but I'm wondering...
-Why not use the Actual map from the series? (It is both online, and on site)
-How are you on continuity for characters and events from the series?
-How many characters are you looking to have? Minimum and Maximum.
-For dual heritage, what would occur if one were to choose neither of their divine heritages?
---
Whether or not I join/get accepted, I wish you the best of luck in this undertaking, and hope the gods look well upon your actions... or at least tolerant to a point.

I already have people helping me with criticisms and guidance for submitted character sheets, though the gesture is not unnoticed. As for last time, there were a considerable number of characters, since I allowed late submissions to be introduced at a later date.

Edit: It's not entirely about how many characters there will be, but also the length of their sheets.

To answer your questions:
1) Because, as I said, there are considerable differences between the original universe and the Demigods one. Besides, it would be rude of me not to use a map made by a friend.
2) As I said above, events taking place in Demigods have no connection to any of the books in the series. nor will the events of the series be mentioned in the role-play.
3) My opening post states that I aim to include anywhere between eight and twelve characters, including my own two.
4) What kid wouldn't want powers that are offered to them by their parents? And besides, if they didn't choose one they would be targeted by monsters with no way to fight back. Choosing neither parent gets you nothing.

As a side note, this isn't a ton of sheets. Not even close. I had over thirty applicants for Battlegrounds, my Pokťmon role-play.

Just let me know how badly scrambled my sheet is with the fluff of the world, it's been years since I read them, and I'm not entirely sure I read the last book in the series at all.

Edit: sorry I put half my sheet up and finished it later. I hope it is up to par nonetheless, and look forward to any criticisms that you find. Oh, I was trying to think of some kind of enchantment I could put on Zeke's dog tags, but I can't think of anything right now. If I come up with something in the future, I will make the appropriate changes.

General Announcement:

I would appreciate it if characters connected to Athena or Ares were kept to a minimum from now on. There are plenty of other gods that could be used. I do have one person who contacted me about a child of Ares that they have yet to post, but other than that, the above request stands. I thank you in advance.

In addition, I request that people do not post incomplete characters. I cannot judge a character accurately if I do not have a complete character sheet.

I'm just going to reserve this spot. This always looked interesting to me, and I did end up reading the second one when I got sick awhile ago :|

CounterAttack:
Hm...

1)Understood and Thanks then.
2)"...deviates from the series in many places." Is the wording used from the beginning, and confused me as to cannon issues. I re-read before at first and never found anything explicitly stating "...no connection to any of the books." (story line wise). Thank you again though for clearing any future misgivings concerning that.
3)I apologize, I completely missed the ending blurb beneath the questions.
4)Hm...
30 sheets for a subject more popular and widespread then most any game standing? Not surprised. Also good to hear you have people helping with sheets, always welcome if you get flushed with them at first.

Finished Product Below.

CounterAttack:
Snip

Alright, cool. Thanks for the information; it really helped with getting my biography set up.

CounterAttack:
Snip

Just making sure you've seen my new character.

Viking Incognito:
Okay, I scrapped the other sheet.

This one was adapted from one I made for an RP that never got off the ground and I took all your previous points into mind while writing it

With your humble permission, Taza Kuruk

Viking Incognito:
-snip-

I've seen it. I just haven't made any comments on it yet, since I have yet to get in touch with one of the people assisting me in critiquing characters.

CounterAttack:

Viking Incognito:
-snip-

I've seen it. I just haven't made any comments on it yet, since I have yet to get in touch with one of the people assisting me in critiquing characters.

It's cool,take your time. Sorry if I seem to be pestering you, I can get a bit impatient sometimes.

Arg, I get the feeling it's kind of crappy, but I'm too tired to do the usual once over. Feel free to tell me how badly I suck at this.

General Announcement #2:

As of today there is a one-month deadline to submit character sheets. Demigods will close sometime on the 8th of December, New Zealand time (if not sooner; it may be cut short).

To explain the new deadline: Discussions with my friends on Skype have led me to consider the opinion that a deadline leads to higher-quality character sheets, whereas without a deadline people will rush to put up a character before it closes (as evidenced by the incomplete sheets I have seen above).

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here