Demigods : Version 3.0 { Closed, Started }

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

I might as well bring back someone from 2.0.

Out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on sensing others emotions as a power? It might slip between the cracks of reading minds and influencing emotions, but I was wondering what you thought.

Basically, I'm edging towards making a child of Aphrodite, but the list of banned powers kind of kicks them in the throat from what I can figure.

Sensing the emotions of others is a bit... well, lacking in use. Except for maybe as a lie detector, but even then I doubt that will come up much.

The banlist does nerf Aphrodite's children considerably, largely because their powers revolve largely around influencing others. Doing so through the use of powers is essentially controlling another person's character by forcing them to follow a certain path.

There are ways to write an Aphrodite child with usable powers, as I myself evidenced in the form of one of my characters. For example, different people find different things attractive. You could try a character who finds beauty in combat, forging weapons and armour or some other field.

A Skype discussion has led to an executive decision: I'm allowing the power of charmspeaking for Aphrodite children. It essentially convinces monsters and ordinary humans to obey a short command for a small period of time. Charmspeaking, however, is a rare gift, given only to those that Lady Aphrodite feels that she can trust with it. The power has no effect on other demigods.

The Pantheon spoiler has been updated accordingly.

Hey, I'm back after an absence. Thought I might try to get back into RPing.
And hey, there's a sheet. How about that?

ThreeWords:
Hey, I'm back after an absence. Thought I might try to get back into RPing.
And hey, there's a sheet. How about that?

I have a fair few issues here.

First, the warmth thing. That's a no-go straight off the bat. You make it sound like all demigods have that, which is something that I never specified to be part of the universe. If you want that for your character, list it as one of his abilities.

Second, I can't allow the future sight, even if it's under my control. The only predictions of the future that will be involved will come from NPCs, and even then they will be rare.

Third, this: "the presence of a god is harsh on those of mortal stock." Where did this come from? Again you're suggesting things to be true that are entirely incorrect. I fail to understand the reasoning behind the inclusion of this particular point.

Fourth, in the past you have proven to be unreliable, often vanishing for weeks at a time. How can I be sure that the same won't happen again?

CounterAttack:
snip

These were, I admit, all things I wasn't sure about.

The warmth thing.

Second, I can't allow the future sight.

In both cases, I wasn't sure how overtly divine the demi-gods are; evidently less so than I had first thought. I'm happy to cut these right out.

"the presence of a god is harsh on those of mortal stock."

I wasn't sure where we were coming from with the Gods, so I went for the safe option and assumed that taking a few days out with the god of the sun is going to leave you a little disorientated. This was based, as you may guess, on the idea of gods being way above mortals and even demi-gods; when I edit this I'd like a guidance on what Apollo is supposed to look like in cannon. (Am I even allowed to meet Apollo?)

Fourth, in the past you have proven to be unreliable, often vanishing for weeks at a time. How can I be sure that the same won't happen again?

In the past I've been subject to a lot of limitations on what I do with the little free time I had. Now I'm done with school I have more free time and personal freedom, and my own laptop that won't get confiscated.
Beyond that, the best proof I can give you is by doing good in this RP, if you'll have me.

ThreeWords:
I wasn't sure where we were coming from with the Gods, so I went for the safe option and assumed that taking a few days out with the god of the sun is going to leave you a little disorientated. This was based, as you may guess, on the idea of gods being way above mortals and even demi-gods; when I edit this I'd like a guidance on what Apollo is supposed to look like in cannon. (Am I even allowed to meet Apollo?)

I still don't understand this. What are you suggesting? And what do you mean by 'where we were coming from with the gods'?

CounterAttack:

ThreeWords:

I still don't understand this. What are you suggesting? And what do you mean by 'where we were coming from with the gods'?

I think I can answer a few things.
1-In the series and if I recall, God's do indeed have a "Divine" True form which most mortals and Demigods can't exactly look at.

I.e from old Myths, (summary), Zeus in attempts to woo a girl said he would grant her one wish, declaring he was Zeus (all powerful and mighty). The girl left to ponder was tricked by another deity, saying that to prove he is Zeus, he should show her his true form.
On their next meeting, the girl told Zeus her wish, and despite being reluctant, he had promised her anything.
Upon his transformation the woman burst in to flames. (Look up the story on the internet, it is what we have)

It'd be damn inconvenient as such, if any god walking around would just kill/horribly burn any who saw them. Imagine them like a light with dimmer switches. You can turn it down so all can see, or turn it up and blind those who look at it.
Asides from that no other real negative effect comes from hanging around a god (voiding that as is they are God, and can turn you in to dust basically, and may attract trouble).

2-As or confusion from where we get the ideas for the Gods (as in some more specific details, not general knowledge), pretty sure the basis is on Greek Mythos, and the book series this RP is based off of. I'm guessing ThreeWords you missed that part, or never read/heard of the series.

*EDIT*-Due to Lag, my post was missing a chunk of text, fixed that.

Alright, considering that life has considerably slowed down for me quite a bit (all the moving's done, job's on a nice easy schedule right now) I'll start making up a demigoddess with some artifice powers (daughter of Hephaestus obviously).

Raynoson:
snip

CounterAttack:
snip

What Raynoson says is rather true; I haven't read the Percy Jackson books, and much of the problems with my sheet source from a confusion on the nature of the Gods. This is a pity, but I want to sort it out by making what edits you feel are required, while still retaining the core character I came up with.

Here's my Character Sheet, Originally crafted for 2.0, and extended for 3.0:

Also, Raven, my laptop breathed its last breath sometime on the 7th. And the house PC is operating on Windows 8. So consider my posting speed and communications to be slightly dampened until sometime next week.

Fixed sheet.

So in the end? I'm going with a totally different character!

Is this still alive?

To my knowledge, yes GM is giving people until December 8th to finish sheets, I know I'm taking my time to tweak mine and get it just right.

Viking Incognito:
Is this still alive?

It is. It has just suffered from a lack of activity due to sheets that are still being worked on. I know of at least three that are in progress.

As Captainguy said, the deadline is December 8th; plenty of time for people to finish up what they're working on. During the leadup to the deadline, there may be some posts made by myself to fill in gaps in the world that people may not know. This may include descriptions of locations, events that took place prior to those of the role-play, and possibly other things.

So for now, I simply ask that those who have already posted characters be patient.

CounterAttack:

Viking Incognito:
Is this still alive?

It is. It has just suffered from a lack of activity due to sheets that are still being worked on. I know of at least three that are in progress.

As Captainguy said, the deadline is December 8th; plenty of time for people to finish up what they're working on. During the leadup to the deadline, there may be some posts made by myself to fill in gaps in the world that people may not know. This may include descriptions of locations, events that took place prior to those of the role-play, and possibly other things.

So for now, I simply ask that those who have already posted characters be patient.

That reminds me of a question I had.

You said that the events of the RP are completely removed from the events of the books, but will there still be characters from the books, such as Clarisse in the Ares cabin and Thalia in the Hunters?

Viking Incognito:
That reminds me of a question I had.

You said that the events of the RP are completely removed from the events of the books, but will there still be characters from the books, such as Clarisse in the Ares cabin and Thalia in the Hunters?

Demigods from the series will not be taking part in the role-play. The only characters that cross over into this version are ones that are necessary to the lore. Examples of these would be Chiron, the Pantheon, the Titans, and of course, the monstrous creatures that will be fought.

Well it is good to know this is still alive. It was just being very very quiet. I guess it was hunting wabits.

I suppose something that I've been curious about is, will you be judging sheets as they're submitted, or will you be going through them all for a final once-over when the deadline hits?

CJ1145:
I suppose something that I've been curious about is, will you be judging sheets as they're submitted, or will you be going through them all for a final once-over when the deadline hits?

Regardless of the way I do it, people are not going to be happy with my decisions. Either I pass initial judgement as the sheets come in, potentially with advice for future improvement, or I hold off until the deadline.

In the case of the former, it builds the applicants up, and they start hoping that with the changes they make under my instruction they'll be accepted. In the case of the latter, it'd be making everyone wait until next month before hearing comments from me.

To sum up: I don't know. Handling applications is not an easy task for a GM. In my experience, at least. Others may have lower standards or be more willing to accept characters that have certain details that I myself frown upon.

Hello, all. Me again, this time with some extra background information for those who wish to read it.

CounterAttack:
Snicker Snack

Thought the old thread was dead until the deadline, might as well ask a question on mind, how goes sheet processing? If in progress, or simply waiting around for people to "Finish".

Raynoson:
Thought the old thread was dead until the deadline, might as well ask a question on mind, how goes sheet processing? If in progress, or simply waiting around for people to "Finish".

Some of the sheets have been checked and cleared - both for acceptance and rejection - while others are awaiting final judgement. As for waiting around, I know of five people working on characters, potentially a sixth if he can come up with a good base for his character.

CounterAttack:
Snapples

Thanks, good luck on all that, and hope your endeavors are going well in whatever you do.

General Announcement #3:

This is a friendly reminder to all potential participants that there are roughly eight days left to submit character sheets, or make desired changes to existing characters. In addition, I provide below some summaries of non-player characters that will be seen around the camp.

Announcement:

The following characters have been accepted into Demigods:

CounterAttack:
Royce Rahn
Jessica Lancer

NeoAC:
Brandon Robertson

Lambi:
Freya Glace

SkyeNeko:
Ambrose Lark

blaze96:
Elizabeth Harmon

Pm0n3y:
Gabriel Aeckerd

Yumi_and_Erea:
Nina Derwal

Lizmichi:
Mitsuko Karitsuki

Lefthandofgod:
Dorofei Denikin

PrinceOfShapeir:
Jia Shang

The accepted characters will be edited into my reserved posts accompanying the opening post. Once that has been completed, I will make the necessary arrangements on Skype, then work on the first in-character post shall begin. As with the other role-play I am currently running, Battlegrounds, there will not be a second thread for the in-character posts.

The list of accepted characters may change, since some people requested to be part of a backup list. Those people have not posted sheets here, but expressed interest in Demigods through other channels. The list of backup participants is currently full unless I see a spectacular application that can convince me otherwise.

Those who wish to receive commentary on the character they submitted, and/or an explanation of why their character was not accepted, may PM me asking about this if they wish. However, I request that the manner in which one asks be civil. I don't want to get in any fights over this.

Yay i can't wait for this to start. Let's get this rolling Raven.

*Nibbles a big ol' hunk of Belgian chocolate*

Third time's the charm. Let's knock this one out of the park, shall we?

{ Demigods }

Camp Half-Blood, Director's Offices

"Recorded June seventh, one thirty-five PM. Weather: sunny as always, no cloud cover. Light breezes, and minor surf at the beach. Reports of small hellhound pack prowling the edges of the forest came in just before lunch. Whoever wants to fight them is welcome to, though as usual I suggested they go armed. No disputes among the campers this morning, so that's a plus. Ea wishes to expand library to accommodate new shelves for a 'manga and comics' addition to the library; said it would compliment the fiction section. Granted request, will ask for volunteers to assist in underground renovations at dinner. End recording."

The voice speaking was that of the centaur Chiron: he had taken to using a small electronic recorder as a miniature journal to keep track of notable events around camp. It was faster and more efficient than carrying a laptop or journal constantly: the former was heavy and the latter seemed a little... behind the times in this digital age.

Done with the small device, the centaur placed it in a drawer in his desk and left his office, beginning a stroll through the camp. He was going nowhere in particular: this kind of thing had become rather common in recent times.

Armoury and Forge

The familiar, rhythmic sound of metal striking metal was coming from the forges. Clang. Tap. Pause. Clang. Tap. Pause. Clang. Tap. At one of the half-dozen anvils, a large, dark-skinned demigod was beating some celestial bronze into shape. Royce Rahn was working with a single bar of the stuff, having heated it enough to render it more malleable.

Royce shot a glance over at Lucas Dugan, in between swings of his hammer. Clang. The Forgemaster was sitting at his desk in the corner and playing with a piece of bronze himself: his mastery over the metal was such that he could bend it into shape with a flick of a finger. Comic book comparisons immediately jumped into Royce's mind as he went back to work, shaping his own materials into the blade and tang of a simple dagger. Clang. Tap... Clang. Tap... Clang. Tap... A hilt would come later, from the stock items available in the many chests and cupboards lining the forge walls.

Within a few minutes the basic shape of the metal had been completed. A simple fuller running down the middle on both sides, and each edge was set to be sharpened. Now came the personal touches. Royce slipped his hammer back into the appropriate loop on his tool-belt and selected a chisel from a small pouch. The muted clang of the hammer was soon replaced by light chink noises as metal scraped on metal: Royce was detailing a small Eta - the Greek letter H - into the base of the blade, where it would be seen after the weapon was completed. To the demigod, this was both in tribute to Father Hephaestus and a mark of a quality weapon.

Wargear I forge must exceed the Forgemaster's standards. It is on my head if a blade made by my hand breaks in battle, he told himself, as he often did when working.

Cabin Ten (Aphrodite)

Not much was happening in Cabin Ten. It was one of the many days off that Aphrodite's children took. Despite being the one in charge, Jessica Lancer knew that her siblings would not take kindly to a regime of daily training and exercise. Other cabins did that kind of thing, but Jess would get a lot of complaints if she implemented such a scheme. A good portion of the Aphrodite cabin's residents were occupied with things that would never translate to a combat situation.

Being in charge of a cabin full of demigods could be a slightly taxing affair, Jess thought as she examined her reflection in the mirror on her desk near the cabin's entrance; the door was wide open. There was often some sort of petty squabble going on: either someone had exceeded their allowed time in the bathroom, someone had 'borrowed' another girl's outfit, or people were arguing over access to the basement. Jess had no idea whose idea it had been to install such a feature, but it was fitting for a cabin whose members often had 'friends over' for the night.

Allowing herself a wry smile at that thought - and in full knowledge that she was well and truly a part of that particular clique - Jess turned her attention back to the paperwork she had to fill out. The smile soon vanished as she re-read the heading of the paper, replaced by a small frown and a sigh. Another leave request sent in by one of her half-sisters. Carolina was dating a regular human outside of camp - some guy named Steve - and often left camp to visit him.

This was becoming routine: to leave camp for a short while when you weren't on a quest, you needed to file a leave request form with the cabin's leader, who would then clear it with a member of staff. Not even bothering to read the reason for leaving camp, as the same form had been filled out dozens of times before by the same person for the same reasons every time, Jess applied an elegant signature where needed and set the page in her outbox. She would deliver it later: it wasn't urgent, despite Carolina's whining.

After signing the slip, Jess got up from her desk and stepped out of Cabin Ten, taking a moment to lean up against the wall outside for some fresh air and sunshine.

A squirrel sat on a branch, nibbling on a nut. Today had been a good day for the small woodland creature.

Then a foot slammed down less than a foot from him. Seemingly from nowhere, a Human appeared, running and jumping from tree branch to high stone to forest floor and back up into the foliage without so much as slowing down. Sweat ran down her body, pasting locks to her forehead and wetting the neck of her tank top, but she didn't show any signs of slowing, breathing lightly and easily as she continued her run, never diverting from her path, just making a gentle arc through the woods. If an obstacle was in her path, she leapt onto or over it.

The monstrous creatures that made the Woods their home were generally smart enough to keep out of the well-worn path of Jia Shang. They had an unspoken agreement - they didn't try to disrupt her run and she wouldn't kill them, and it worked out fairly well so far, she only occasionally had to trade blows with a belligerent monster with more aggression than good sense.

Just ahead she could see the break in the trees and put on an extra burst of speed, hopping into the high branches of an Oak before coming down next to a stone with a timer set on it, hitting the button as she came down.

1:01:35:55.

She grinned - she'd shaved a few milliseconds off her time. It wasn't much of an improvement, but she didn't need to improve in leaps and bounds - she was well past that stage in her training. The important part was that she was still improving, still getting a little bit faster, a little bit stronger. She reached behind the rock with the timer and withdrew a bottle, taking a seat on the rock and chugging half the contents before stopping and beginning to load her things back into the small pack lying next to the rock and beginning the walk back to the main part of the camp, drinking as she went. It was coming up on two o'clock. A second lunch, maybe? She was feeling more than a bit hungry, although she had eaten lunch an hour before her run.

She stopped at her cabin for a quick shower and a change from her exercise clothes into her casual clothes - jeans, sneakers, and a Metallica T-shirt - then headed towards the mess hall to scrounge up something.

Nina was washing her hands in the infirmary, politely ignoring her patient his claims that he had no idea how that got up there.

"Really, it's fine." she told him, washing the smell of fish off her hands. Poseidon kids were into some freaky shit.
"Now, you feeling a little better?" she asked, turning back with a smile on her face.

"Yeah, sure. Thanks a bunch." he said, hopping down from the table and hobbling on his way.

"That's good to hear." said Nina, as he slipped around the corner. She heaved a contented sigh and sat herself down, her bizarre grey coat spilling over the sides. It was a sunny day, she saw through the window. Good reading weather, she thought to herself.

She reached over to her desk, whereupon lay her latest acquisition, Jennifer Government. She'd actually been on the second-last page when the Poseidon-kid had come in, but now she could finally finish it.

It was good.

Only now, she had nothing left to read. Well, some sunshine couldn't hurt, so she figured she might as well go and fetch something new. The now-finished novel slipped into one of the surprisingly deep pockets of Nina's coat, and she got up to have herself a good stretch. After checking there was someone else to man the infirmary, Nina stepped out into the warm sunlight and set off at a leisurely pace towards the cabins.

She passed by a few other Demigods on the way, but they didn't pay her too much heed: Nina was well-liked, not popular. And that suited her just fine.

The way the cabins were set up had always reminded Nina of an Old West town; the kind with plenty of showdowns, shindigs and shenanigans. You also couldn't really walk down the road without feeling like you're being watched, either by the cabins on the side or the ones at the end. Nina's usual defense against this was to read while walking, but that didn't fly this time around.

Also, you couldn't get to the Apollo cabin without first passing by the Aphrodite cabin. Nina didn't mind that quite as much, especially today. Jess was out on the porch of the cabin, leaning against the wall, looking beautiful as always. Nina allowed herself a momentary stare, then realized how weird she must have looked, standing in the middle of the road and staring. She hastily pulled out her novel, bashing a few fingers on her tomahawk in its belt loop. Opening the book up at a random page, she quickly hid her face behind it and resumed walking.

It was a bright day outside. Freya's least favorite weather. "Why can't it just be snowing all day long? Would be much better than all this fucking sunlight." She hadn't wanted to spend all day inside, though, and had been planning on doing some training with her sword. She had it sheathed with her right hand on the hilt of the sword and her shield on her left arm, figuring she hadn't needed to wear her armor today. Especially with the sun outside. She'd feel like she was roasting.

Too many Demigods outside for her taste. It was hard to not be used to the few Hades children in their respective cabin and she couldn't stand a lot of people for too long, so it was perfect for her whenever she could spend time with her half-siblings. During training, though, she usually just blocked out most everyone else unless she was addressed personally. Hopefully that wouldn't happen this time because she wanted to train in peace.

She thought towards her mother and wondered if she was alright right now. Bah, there was no need to worry. She knew her mother was doing alright. She had a new boyfriend that she was quite happy with, and that was enough for Freya. Even though she didn't particularly care for the man herself, if it pleased her mother to be with him, that much was good. Freya hadn't ever thought about whether there was someone for her or not. Frankly, to her, they could go bite their own asses off rather than try hitting on her. The ones that had tried it had gotten a hit back, and considering her strength, they'd gotten to fly quite a distance. Never so much that they died from internal bleeding or anything like that, but enough to leave her alone. Feh, relationships. Who needed them? It just ended all in tears and getting hurt from what she'd seen so far, so why even bother? So you could have a good screw? Fuck that, she thought. She didn't need any of that crap.

She'd gotten so deep in thought about her mother and her own stance on relationships that she didn't even notice someone who bumped into her, hiding their face in a book. It startled her and she instinctively gave the person a hit with her shield to make them fly off. "Fucking hell, watch your damn step next time and don't just read a book like that! You're just lucky I didn't hit you harder than I did!" She saw that it was a girl once the book wasn't hiding her face anymore. The book she didn't care about, nor whether the girl was injured or not.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here