Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Fire. Air. Water. Earth.

Two hundred and fifty years ago, Avatar Aang and Fire Lord Zuko created the United Republic of Nations from the Fire Nation colonies in the Earth Kingdom. It was intended to be a bastion of peace and progress, and for a long time it was. It weathered many trials, but the courage of the citizens and the protection of the Avatar - first Aang, then Korra - safeguarded the city through its many crises.

But evil can arise anywhere, and much that is good can be twisted by it. The powers of the Republic found themselves mighty, with a thriving industry and highly advanced technology. The ancient Four Nations that surrounded it were aging and decrepit, slow to embrace the modern age. Like Sozin over three hundred years ago, they sought to share their prosperity with the rest of the world, and they would do so whether the world wanted it or not.

Avatar Korra attempted to stop this, calling upon her incredible bending abilities to bring a stop to the invasion of the Earth Kingdom, but even the Avatar could not stop the armies that were arrayed against her. The sheer power of the new technologies in the world leveled the playing field between Army and Avatar, and for days the armies of the Republic battled Korra. In the end, however, the Avatar was defeated and slain.

With the Avatar defeated, the best hope for victory against the conquering Republic was gone. The Water Tribes, Earth Kingdom, and Fire Nation brought all their strength against the Republic, along with the reborn Air Nomads, but it wasn't enough. One by one, the great bastions of the world began to fall. First was Ba Sing Se, the great walls incapable of standing under the barrages of Republic tanks and artillery and incapable of stopping Republic airships and bombers. Then the Northern Water Tribe in all its great strength faced the massive Republic Navy, the great glaciers shattered under the barrage of their rockets. The Fire Nation was the last to fall, Fire Lord Roku leading the defense of the capital. The conflict was long and vicious, the Fire Nation nearly able to match the Republic technologically. But their courage and ingenuity was not enough, and the Republic unleashed their greatest and most terrible weapon upon the Fire Nation, a bomb capable of annihilating entire cities in an instant.

As the ashes fell, the new Fire Lord Zhang unconditionally surrendered to the Republic. The Four Nations had been defeated and now throughout the world, the banner of the United Republic flew.

All throughout the Earth Kingdom the hunt for the new Avatar began by both the Republic and the forming Resistance groups. If the Republic were to find the Avatar, the last hope for liberation would be gone.

Ten years have passed since Avatar Korra's death, and no one has yet found the Avatar. Many have lost hope, they fear that the Avatar cycle has been broken, and that the Avatar will never return, or that the Avatar has been found and caged by the Republic for all time. But there are some of us who still hold hope that the Avatar will return, and that freedom will come.

Two hundred and fifty years ago, Avatar Aang and Fire Lord Zuko created the United Republic of Nations from the Fire Nation colonies in the Earth Kingdom.

Ten years have passed since Avatar Korra's death,

Apparently Korra took a page out of this fucker's book

Heh, more like Kyoshi. Korra died around the age of 170 or so, which is still decades short of Kyoshi's record.

I have a question.

Why aren't there guns in your Avatar world? I mean, You have cannons and Fireworks; even space travel yet not a single gun.

Are you telling me; NO one came up with this thought; "Golly, gee I wonder what it will be like to have cannons that fit into the palms of our hands. That sure will be useful!"

Dr. wonderful:

Are you telling me; NO one came up with this thought; "Golly, gee I wonder what it will be like to have cannons that fit into the palms of our hands. That sure will be useful!"

Someone probably did, but then someone else said "How is that a good idea when I can shoot lightning out of my face?"

He then would proceed to shoot lightning out of his face. Thus ending the story of guns in the Avatar world.

One, because they weren't in The Legend of Korra. If you haven't invented guns by the time you've gotten that far, odds are good you probably won't.

Two, because I don't want them. Guns depersonalize combat.

Three, because of what Left Hand said. Bending makes firearms kind of unnecessary for the most part.

Four, firearms put a lot of power in the hands of one person, and that power doesn't require any training unlike bending. The Government has a vested interest in keeping the masses weak and helpless.

I'll have a go I suppose. Today's sheet has a twist.

200 years later, right? How do you feel about an air-bender? I figure Tenzin had 4 kids, and they probably mated, with at least one child per the family.

The horrible history is now done.

Airbending is back, more or less in full strength. They're less common than any of the other three types of benders, but they're still around.

Ryhno, use your head. Bloodbending is literally the most powerful Bending power there is. Sure, only usable on the full moon, but when the full moon is out it is an I Win button for any fight, a completely unstoppable instant death maneuver on anything except another Bloodbender or the Avatar.

CJ, your characters sound less like heroes and more like terrorists. Even the Resistance wouldn't want anything to do with people who just break into buildings, kill everyone inside, and then tear the thing down, that's not helping anyone, that's just mass murder. Besides that, ripping an entire building down is a little bit excessive, I don't think even Toph Bei Fong could have done that on her own, at least not in any reasonable span of time. The City isn't without defenses, any attack that took longer than a few minutes would have serious threats crawling up your ass.

Your other character has problems as well, as you describe him as being effectively immune to all Bending arts because he's just so fast. One, that's too powerful and two, it doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense.

I'd beg to differ about me not using my head, but you not using yours. Who controls night and day in this rp? What part of the month it is, and most importantly, in this case, who is it that controls whether or not a full moon's even out while we're doing our shadowrunning? Pretty sure it won't be me...

PrinceOfShapeir:
CJ, your characters sound less like heroes and more like terrorists.

...Yeah, kinda. That was the way it naturally developed fleshing out the idea. Not everybody who holds a grudge with the Republic is going to be a noble paragon. They're bitter, angry kids with a lot of power and an inkling on how to use it. They've never been actively part of a resistance, but they would probably tone down their rather extreme actions if somebody proved to them that another way got results.

They'd probably be all for backing the Avatar, if one was ever found, since their whole deal is basically championing the old nations and ways.

that's not helping anyone, that's just mass murder.

If told that, they'd likely respond "Let us know if we do anything even slightly worse than what these guys have already done." They're fans of the whole pay evil unto evil deal, though they see it more as brutal vengeance.

Besides that, ripping an entire building down is a little bit excessive, I don't think even Toph Bei Fong could have done that on her own, at least not in any reasonable span of time.

It's really rather simple if you think about it. While Daria is a powerhouse, she doesn't try to outright smash the building. She goes to the bottom-most levels and yanks the metal out of the building's structure, basically taking away all its structural integrity. The whole thing collapses pretty easy after that, even if it takes a couple minutes. Once that's done, they have plenty of time to hightail it before the authorities show up.

Your other character has problems as well, as you describe him as being effectively immune to all Bending arts because he's just so fast. One, that's too powerful and two, it doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense.

It's not an accurate description of his abilities, that's the aspiration of his style. Obviously, nobody's that fast, but he is fast, because he's trained relentlessly to be that way. Because, as far as he can see, that's the only way for a guy like him to even keep up with Benders. If he just trained himself into a brute, he'd be too slow to avoid getting roasted, or frozen, or just crushed between a couple of boulders. Think of him as similar to the Blue Spirit in style. Sticks to the shadows, strikes hard and fast, so that normally superior opponents can't keep up.

And the history I'll get back to, if only to follow the trend :|

Noted, Ryhno. Bloodbending is still prohibited.

CJ, I don't see any mention in her backstory about her being trained in controlled building destruction. Isn't it pretty likely that the first time she tried that she'd have gone too far and dropped the building on her own head?

Look, guys, this RP is not going to start in the next few hours or even this weekend most likely. Take your time to finish the bio before you post it.

PrinceOfShapeir:
CJ, I don't see any mention in her backstory about her being trained in controlled building destruction. Isn't it pretty likely that the first time she tried that she'd have gone too far and dropped the building on her own head?

Sorry, I didn't think I needed to get that specific. I basically just left it implied that through their teenage years they would train the skills they'd need to wage this kind of war, which would include Daria's demolition capabilities. And normally yeah, that's be a problem, but I doubt they would start off trying to take down skyscrapers. Or start off inside the buildings, for that matter. It would have been a gradual process, starting by working on figuring out how basic engineering works. She'd practice on smaller buildings that no one would miss to get the technique down, and once she could do those more or less effortlessly they'd scale up, until she was ready to bring down the bigger buildings.

She'd have started doing the jobs from the inside only by the time that she'd gotten very good at it, and the buildings as they were were simply too large to take down from the exterior. And even if there were a few mishaps, her bending would generally permit her a way to shield herself from any severe damage.

I'm still pretty iffy on ripping entire buildings down. If it takes any serious amount of time at all between Dirk attacking and Daria ripping the Republic is going to send in its own forces, including their own Metalbenders.

Working on a sheet, but there are some questions I wanted to ask first:

1) How high up are we/can we be in the Resistances's heirarchy?

2) What's the structure of said organization?

3)If I make one of my characters skills strictly combat, can his other skill be more social/intellectual?

4)Cybernetic mecha-robo underground prize fighting Arena? Yay or nay?

1: I'd prefer it if you were all fairly low level. Basically, I want you all to be active in the field. Most of the Resistance is anyway.

2: It's a fairly loose organization. Resistance members identify each other by a number of code phrases and hand signs. There's also a marker that Resistance members and Resistance-friendly establishments will wear or put up somewhere, a large, blue pointing arrow, signifying the Avatar. As far as the Resistance is aware, the Republic is not aware of this sigil's true meaning yet.

No one person knows everything that goes on with the Resistance. This has resulted in the organization being nearly invincible - you cannot slay a snake when it has a million heads - but it also has reduced their effectiveness, as large-scale coordination is nearly impossible. While there is believed to be a single overarching leader of the Resistance, no one any of you has met has seen this person, or if they have they won't admit it.

3: Sure.

4: Walkers and Armored Units are pretty restricted to the military, and if the private sector got a hold of one it would be more likely to end up in the hands of the Resistance than an underground prizefighting ring. That said, there is a good bit of illegal/questionably legal Bending tournaments and whatnot.

Character sheet retracted. Apologies to all.

Pappytech, given that we don't even have personal firearms a personal railgun is a bit of a stretch. Given the immense size and weight of it though, I'll allow it. That said it's a little bit overpowered as it is, essentially a Sniper Bazooka. You're also going to need to figure out a way this guy can remain underground, it wouldn't be hard for the Republic to find a giant carrying a gun bigger than he is.

PrinceOfShapeir:
I'm still pretty iffy on ripping entire buildings down. If it takes any serious amount of time at all between Dirk attacking and Daria ripping the Republic is going to send in its own forces, including their own Metalbenders.

The initial infiltration isn't a real head-on assault most of the time. It's more of Dirk slipping in and giving Daria a path. She bursts in, and rips the metal out of the lower levels, leaving the whole thing without a support base. It's an effort to move the metal, but it's not time consuming. It's like jenga, you take out one right piece and it all falls down.

I'll post a sheet as soon as I can.

PrinceOfShapeir:
You're also going to need to figure out a way this guy can remain underground, it wouldn't be hard for the Republic to find a giant carrying a gun bigger than he is.

Well, judging by how you've described the Resistance in your response to Captainguy, it sounds like they'd have a whole lot of safe houses/hideouts/secret bases scattered around town, maybe with some secret sewer tunnels connecting a few of them. I don't think it's too far-fetched to have Mac bounce around from safe house to safe house, based on what part of the city he happens to be operating out of at the time.

He's also pretty good at just sneaking around, if that helps.

How can he be good at sneaking around? He's like 500 pounds with that gun of his and he's like 30% metal. Think about it, Pappytech, do you really think everyone who sees this guy is going to be all 'Viva la Resistance' when the Secret Police come through asking if they saw anything suspicious? If the people know anything eventually someone will point at the huge cyborg with the giant gun who ran into the Jasmine Dragon chain store on the corner and vanished.

You know, the one thing that really irks me about stealth games is that they all focus on the exact same components of sneakiness. Lurking in the shadows, snapping an isolated guard's neck, shooting out light-bulbs with your silenced pistol/crossbow.

Sure, that kind of stealth is fun and cinematic, but it means that simple stuff like blending in get ignored in favor of the more "interesting" approaches.

Anyway, Mac's brand of stealth does not involve jumping from ledge to ledge and using a grappling hook to get everywhere, no. He does his fair share of skulking through alleyways, sure, but that's about it.

No, he relies far more on three rather simple principles: patience, planning, and being a generally nice guy.

Considering the absolute range he commands, it's rare that Mac would ever be particularly close to a target. By the time police are actually able to determine where the shot came from, odds are he's already high and away. And on the rare occasion that he's forced to be within such a distance, he'll have already mapped out the least-populated streets, tunnels, and fire escapes in order to best facilitate his getaway.

But anyway, about that tea shop example you mapped out. Here's how Mac would handle something like that:

19:00. He walks into the Jasmine Dragon, sits down, and orders a cup of tea.
19:15. Having finished his cup of tea, he walks back to the counter, and orders a second. On his way back to his table, he tosses a few coins to the musician sitting in the corner, requesting an old Earth Kingdom song.
19:45. Having just finished his fourth cup of tea, he picks up his admittedly large backpack, pays the bill, bows to and thanks the owner, and leaves the store.
19:47. Earth shattering kaboom.
19:50. He reenters the shop, muttering about weird noises, and orders two cups of tea: one for himself, and one for the homeless guy he just found who desperately needs something to warm him up.

So yeah, less of the sneaky assassin thing, more of the just being generally nice, inconspicuous, and careful.

Also, I feel inclined to mention that this is the Avatar universe. There is no way in hell Mac's the only 7 foot cyborg walking around.

PrinceOfShapeir:

snip

So I have to be THAT GUY and ask, are laser swords allowed? Because if I can be an airbending Jedi then this has just gotten a lot more interesting.

No, Laser Swords are not allowed. There are a bevy of weapons you can choose from, but not lightsabers.

Pappytech, how do you shove a weapon that is literally taller than your guy is into a backpack? There is no way that a weapon as sophisticated as a railgun can just be broken into its components and carried around in a suitcase, especially when you clearly state it's a repurposed artillery weapon. I'm not budging on this, Pappytech, find a way to change it.

So... That's a yes to AI, cybernetic implants/prosthetics, and space travel, but a no to the snazzy Mass Effect weapon storage technology? Awwwwwwww... :(

But in all seriousness, how many weapons can you name that CAN'T be broken down into smaller parts or components? Even if it's just for maintenance or repair, all modern weaponry needs to be able to be broken down into its individual pieces, and Iskander is no exception. Granted, its chamber is still huge, but the vast majority of the weapon's size comes from its barrel. Which, again, is detachable and collapsible. I'm not saying it can be shoved inside a briefcase, but a giant backpack is another thing entirely.

Also, I NEVER said anything about Iskander being a repurposed artillery weapon. I made the comparison between Mac and a one-man artillery unit, true, but that's it. And even if it was just an artillery weapon, I'm still fairly certain they can be broken down into smaller bits.

CJ1145:
The initial infiltration isn't a real head-on assault most of the time. It's more of Dirk slipping in and giving Daria a path. She bursts in, and rips the metal out of the lower levels, leaving the whole thing without a support base. It's an effort to move the metal, but it's not time consuming. It's like jenga, you take out one right piece and it all falls down.

You stopped responding after this one, Prince. Just curious if that means you're OK with what I said to justify the sheets, or if there are any things remaining.

I've had enough of this, Pappytech. I'm not arguing anymore. Character denied.

CJ, you cannot rip an entire building down with one metalbender in less than five minutes. Period.

Alright, fair enough. You're the GM, after all.

Sorry we couldn't come to an agreement; I was kind of growing attached to the character. I'll go ahead and remove the sheet.

Prince, it's basic physics. It's not hard for a Metalbender, particularly one with years of experience doing exactly this, to tear out most of the metal on the ground level, and maybe the one above, of a building. Buildings require a very precise framework, when they get that big, to remain balanced and stable. Remove even that bit of the structure, or if you want to get picky the concrete and such too--metalbenders are earthbenders as well, after all--at a point as vital as the base of the skyscraper, it's going down. Gravity and its own narrowness combined with its height work against it.

And it's not like they'd make a clean getaway every single time. But if we're canonically unable to take the forces of the Republic in a fight long enough to make our escape, what is even the point of this RP? By the time any forces do arrive, enough damage would have been done, especially if focused on a single side or two of the building, to start toppling the thing. By then, it would be FAR harder to prop it back up. We've stopped talking the work of one metalbender, and gotten into hundreds. A situation like that, with a building all but horizontal, only held up by the efforts of the Republic's concentrated effort, would still get across the message of "The Republic is not safe" that the twins want to get across.

I just said no. Characters are denied.

When I say flat 'No' to something, it is not an invitation to continue arguing.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked