The Timeless Warriors – The Story of Veterans (Open, Accepting characters)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The Timeless Warriors - The Story of Veterans
The war you participated in was devastating. You entered into the field of carnage and survived to tell the tale. Whether you were drafted or you volunteered, you've already tasted blood and seen men and women die on both sides. When the war ended you had to return to society like all of your comrades. You knew you had to keep living your life like you did earlier, but you just couldn't.

Something snapped in your mind. You were broken. Your soul couldn't be mended. You longed for more excitement and you despised the life of peace. Some sick desire forced you to push forward looking for a replacement to that horrible war.

The story begins a moment before you die, when you are pulled out of your tiny existence to serve a higher cause. It didn't matter where you were from or who you served. They cared little for your decorations or your status - they only looked for one thing. They were searching for that never-ending wanderlust, one you couldn't ever get rid of.

For the first few hours you were a frightened little human surrounded by strange machinery and alien life-forms. They restrained you and preformed some experiments on your body. You were kept as a test subject in a small chamber with them looking out at you. You stared right back at those vile vermin.

The dully hued purple aliens walked with a stride that befitted their reverse-jointed legs, stuttering with their steps but quick and elegant when pressed to hurry. Their bodies were tall and slender, having them stand at an average height of seven feet tall. Their arms were weak from millennia of evolutionary degradation in musculature, with hands that ended in three elongated fingers, perfect for nimble and delicate work. Their heads were massive in comparison, pulled back to half a foot in length to house a much more advanced mind. Their small mouths could barely fit a straw, used only for sipping a green paste they had developed for nourishment through tubes. They comminuted telepathically from the few times they probed your mind with questions, "speaking" in ideas, pictures and emotions in a manner which felt more real than any conversation you had had in your previous life. Most curious of all were their eyes, large and black, one set to each side of their face, evolved to keep a better field of vision to avoid predators rather than being predatory themselves.

They explained your situation rather clearly - There is no way back. These words formed in your mind with the help of the aliens disturbed you even further. You were saved from death so you could become a member of a new force to help the aliens drive off their invaders. The peace loving race was struck by the ferocity of a neighboring space-dwelling group that had been terrorizing them for weeks now in search of their time-altering devices.

A gateway to your side suddenly opened and you were told in your mind to continue. In the next white room you saw a small black thing sitting on the floor. It looked like a pill, something you were told to shove up your nose. Although you were a tad afraid of the consequences to come, you realized there was no other way than to proceed and follow the orders you were given. The pill then grew in size as it climbed into your nose and found itself inside of your brain. It was surprisingly less painful than you had imagined it would be, and the next order to proceed onto another room forced you to continue.

Inside were your tools of the trade, adjusted for the time period. The alien's technology had helped create stronger and sturdier alloys for metals while keeping them light and sharp. Simple firing weapons were amplified with light manipulation technology, as mere balls of iron turned into beams of concentrated lasers. Armor became sturdier and much lighter, but it couldn't fully protect frail human bodies against the onslaught of the invaders.

Pick up your weapon of choice and join the others. Others just like you from all periods of time in human history that could understand you with the help of the black pill you just used. They all were armed, each in their own weapon of choice, and it seemed like your fate was unclear.

You all stood in a white room with no doors of windows. Inside your minds the story of the world unfolded. Each and every moment of the history of the alien race crept into your minds, and the roots of the conflict were made clear. The invaders came to destroy the aliens, coveting their time manipulation technology. While the technology remains hidden, the bulk of the civilian population is being massacred by the enemy.

It is your job to work as a team and defeat these monsters, bit by bit. You've became this planet's only hope... until they could organize another group of like-minded individuals. Godspeed!

Any questions, come to me.
All of time is fair game, from the days of Gilgamesh to modern warfare in Afghanistan. I will allow a few decades into today's future in foreseeable wars. Your weapon of choice obviously depends on the time you came from and the region you were from. If you were a soldier in the 20th century and onward your weapon would most likely be any type of firearm (although you could always be a cavalryman). Try and adapt your weapon of choice with advanced technology of this alien planet, if you're having trouble you can just write the type of weapon you used in your own time and I could do all of the work.

I didn't write in a personality segment since more often than not people tend to break away or feel too restricted within it. Your personality is a part of your bio, but you will change your character as the plot moves along.

Death here is permanent. You can always pick a new character and join as a fresh recruit from a new batch. I know that this is frightening but dying won't be very sudden or easy - however you do need to keep your head grounded and work together as a team.

At first your opponents will be mostly mechanical. Robots and cyborg hybrids will be what you will meet throughout your missions and your enhanced weapons will prove to be useful against them (most of the time). Since this is the first steps of an invasion there are a few of the heavier units the invaders can deploy, so use that time to get familiar with your enemy without fear of being liquidized.

A few final notes on the rules of this RP:
1. GM word counts, but you can always dispute it with a good argument.
2. Be polite to each other out of character. It's best to keep our environment fun
3. Rules of the escapist apply here too.
4. No trench-coating, mary-sueing, etc. Try and think of a character you can both relate to and love to play as. Different characters have different ways of approaching problems and killing them.
5. No god-modding (controlling other characters without the permission of their players. This includes named NPCs unless stated otherwise).
6. Try and have fun.

Just to make sure we have the rules for character selection straight -
Characters have experienced a war or a conflict before and have been finding it hard to come back to society. This problem can be manifested in many ways, from joining a mercenary band in dark ages Europe or having PTSD. They have been yanked out of a situation where they would surely die, so their removal wouldn't affect much of the timeline. The characters can be famous or anonymous, fictional or real. The events they were in need to be grounded in reality.

Some simple questions before I make a sheet;

-Why do the aliens need us if they have our weapons, but far more advanced?
-What's stopping us from helping the invading faction?
-And, if they go to the trouble of rounding up these soldiers, why not find a greater species than human to combat these evil(-er?) aliens?

ruedyn:
Some simple questions before I make a sheet;

-Why do the aliens need us if they have our weapons, but far more advanced?
-What's stopping us from helping the invading faction?
-And, if they go to the trouble of rounding up these soldiers, why not find a greater species than human to combat these evil(-er?) aliens?

All three are fine questions, let me answer those for your convenience:
"-Why do the aliens need us if they have our weapons, but far more advanced?"
-The aliens didn't have knowledge of said weapons before they found you in your timeline and gathered information on you and your history. You were hand-picked because of your past and other circumstances. The aliens are a peace-loving species - in fact, they had never used weapons before in their recorded history. All of the knowledge of weapons came from the humans, a species they stumbled upon and which they began studying throughout the ages. This is the reason why your weapons are practically the same, but only enhanced to such a level that will allow you to fight the invaders using technologies of the Aliens (which were meant for peaceful purposes in the first place like construction material and experimenting equipment).
"-What's stopping us from helping the invading faction?"
- Oh, that's a good one. A good reason would be because they will shoot you on sight, so you shouldn't think about waving a white flag unless you want it to get red and soaked in your own blood. That would be a terribly short campaign to play. You've basically been moved away from certain doom to a planet far far away in some unknown time where your only two paths of escape are to follow orders and keep fighting or die trying.
"-And, if they go to the trouble of rounding up these soldiers, why not find a greater species than human to combat these evil(-er?) aliens?"
- Surprisingly, you've been the first species they have found to be sentient and very experienced in warfare of all kinds. Other than humans, they are not able to access information about other species the same way they do with humans. Even though the technology was originally designed to help them record history and collect information, now it's being used to recruit seasoned veterans to fight for their war and save them from destruction.

How far into the future are you allowing characters to come from? I know you said decades, but a cap would help me think on whether or not to submit a char I have in stasis right now.

Ryans Solution:
How far into the future are you allowing characters to come from? I know you said decades, but a cap would help me think on whether or not to submit a char I have in stasis right now.

I don't want to be too arbitrary, but it should be anywhere in the foreseeable future. Conflicts like a Korean War, a conflict with Iran, African 'civil' Wars (Like the one raging on in Mali), etc.
Anything you can guess out of today's geo-politics, so a war between Canada and the USA for Canada's oil resources won't be something I could accept.

So not 2100 then, okay.
Oh and on the subject of America vs. Canada, oil no but land or fresh water isn't out of the question lately...

Ok i've got some ideas now, are tank operators or helicopter pilots out of the question?
If they are i've got some lovely motorcycle cavalry on the drafting boards then.

Ryans Solution:
So not 2100 then, okay.
Oh and on the subject of America vs. Canada, oil no but land or fresh water isn't out of the question lately...

Ok i've got some ideas now, are tank operators or helicopter pilots out of the question?
If they are i've got some lovely motorcycle cavalry on the drafting boards then.

You could have the knowledge of piloting a helicopter, a jet-fighter or a tank, but all of you will be acting as mere infantry in the beginning of the invasion because there aren't any war-machines to use in the first place.

This is just my draft to see if the concept fits before I begin detailing and to give me time to think.

Does the character have to be involved in a war? I ask because I have a marinating character sheet I'd like to play in this, but the altered version is the so-called vigilante/serial killer boxer Robert Kayvaan with an alternate personality named Red. He hails from the mid to late 1900s (haven't decided on a specific time yet), and fights unarmed as Robert and with chains as Red.

Again, my main question is whether the character has to have been in a war or not, as Robert/Red's broken enough to fit the description of the OP, yet they were never soldiers.

Ryans Solution:
This is just my draft to see if the concept fits before I begin detailing and to give me time to think.

Why would a knight turn to be a mercenary?

The armor, as I said before, is hardier, lighter and more stylish. Cold weapons are sturdier and deadlier. You shouldn't add an explosive tip... yet. The same with the electrified edge.

deathbydeath:
Does the character have to be involved in a war? I ask because I have a marinating character sheet I'd like to play in this, but the altered version is the so-called vigilante/serial killer boxer Robert Kayvaan with an alternate personality named Red. He hails from the mid to late 1900s (haven't decided on a specific time yet), and fights unarmed as Robert and with chains as Red.

Again, my main question is whether the character has to have been in a war or not, as Robert/Red's broken enough to fit the description of the OP, yet they were never soldiers.

Those selected are veterans of a conflict. If you can find a way to fit your character in that regards, then be my guest.

Here are a few statements about what to expect in this world:

The world is littered with small and a handful of large metropolitan areas where almost all of the aliens reside in. These industrial hives are home to nearly 90% of the planet's population that will spend almost all of their time in. Those not living in the cities often do so as a choice to work in resource collecting operations as overseers and engineers that look after the robotic worker machines. The scenery you will often meet with is that of the vast cities in this planet, whose buildings tower hundreds of meters in the air and have foundations going dozens of meters down below. The invaders will undoubtedly attack those cities first, and had been looking for the few time-devices scattered around the planet so they could be destroyed. Your first few stages would be stopping the attack of the advancing invaders and defending the cities from complete annihilation. If you prove to be successful more soldiers like yourself can be recruited and enter the war.

Let's see, urban environment against a superior force. . . I will try to have a sheet up by tomorrow night, this looks very interesting.

Grim327:
Let's see, urban environment against a superior force. . . I will try to have a sheet up by tomorrow night, this looks very interesting.

It's good to see interest coming in for this game. It looks like people aren't that into the whole idea... they prefer to play star wars.

TheIronRuler:

Grim327:

It's good to see interest coming in for this game. It looks like people aren't that into the whole idea... they prefer to play star wars.

Eh, this seems like it could have a lot of potential. I will have my sheet up soon.

OP this looks like it could be a damn good RP, you can bet your ass I'll work on a sheet for this.

This looks positively epic man. Once again you deliver a premise that stands out from the crowd. I will definitely be submitting something.

(quick note though, I remember vaguely when I was less than 11 years old that there was some kind of strategy based board game with a similar premise. Am I the only one who remembers that game?)

Viking Incognito:
This looks positively epic man. Once again you deliver a premise that stands out from the crowd. I will definitely be submitting something.

(quick note though, I remember vaguely when I was less than 11 years old that there was some kind of strategy based board game with a similar premise. Am I the only one who remembers that game?)

Nope, I don't remember such a table-top game... If there is any similarity, then I recon it's accidental.

name: Niloc Nosdivad

appearance:wheres a black cloak with a long sleeved shirt underneath with black boots with arm and shin metal plates to protect him. has long brown shoulder length hair mustache beard combo height 5'4"

year of departure:1578 during an assassination mission on an English noble.

weapon of choice: a curved hand and a half cavalry saber with flintlock pistol. they improved upon the pistol by making it not require reloads but still had a slow firing rate, the sword was made better by making out of superior metals.

profession:assassin for the french specialized in stealth and sword play.

biography: Niloc came from a secret clan of assassins based in England a french noble who was angered by an Englishman heard of the clan and sent a message for their services. The clan sent Niloc on the mission but he was fated to be unsuccessful and hanged the day after. When presented the with the aliens he was of course convinced they were demons of some sort. But he eventually came to accept his predicament, has quite the liking for tea.

please let me know if anything needs improvement. would love to be a part of a role play for once.

God'sFist:

appearance:wheres a black cloak with a long sleeved shirt underneath with black boots with arm and shin metal plates to protect him. has long brown shoulder length hair mustache beard combo height 5'4"

weapon of choice: a curved hand and a half cavalry saber with flintlock pistol. they improved upon the pistol by making it not require reloads but still had a slow firing rate, the sword was made better by making out of superior metals.

biography: Niloc came from a secret clan of assassins based in England a french noble who was angered by an Englishman heard of the clan and sent a message for their services. The clan sent Niloc on the mission but he was fated to be unsuccessful and hanged the day after. When presented the with the aliens he was of course convinced they were demons of some sort. But he eventually came to accept his predicament, has quite the liking for tea.

please let me know if anything needs improvement. would love to be a part of a role play for once.

Grand. The sheet could use some clean-up, it's a tad chaotic reading it like that. Maybe try reading it out loud and hear yourself. Do you want to change your flintlock pistol to a one-shot handgun? You will have to wait a few seconds between each shot as it recharges but it packs a mean punch.

Would you kindly try and describe the character a tad more? I would like to see who I am dealing with. Except for this problem, I don't see any issues.

TheIronRuler:

God'sFist:

Grand. The sheet could use some clean-up, it's a tad chaotic reading it like that. Maybe try reading it out loud and hear yourself. Do you want to change your flintlock pistol to a one-shot handgun? You will have to wait a few seconds between each shot as it recharges but it packs a mean punch.

Would you kindly try and describe the character a tad more? I would like to see who I am dealing with. Except for this problem, I don't see any issues.

appearance:wheres a black cloak with a long sleeved shirt, black boots and arm/shin metal plates to protect him. has long brown shoulder length hair, mustache beard combo height 5'4"

weapon of choice: a curved hand and a half cavalry saber with flintlock pistol. they improved upon the pistol by making it a a one shot hand cannon, the sword was made better by making out of superior metals.

profession:assassin for the french, specialized in stealth and sword play.

biography: Niloc came from a secret clan of assassins based in England.He was accepted into the clan as a child and grew up training in many forms of murder. He was a lone wolf never relied on anybody for anything. his training has left him with a cold edge to his manner of speech. all though he had been trained to be calm and controlled he developed a tendency to act "odd". A french noble who was angered by an Englishman heard of the clan and sent a message for their services. The clan sent Niloc on the mission but he was fated to be unsuccessful and hanged the day after. When presented the with the aliens he was of course convinced they were demons of some sort. But he eventually came to accept his predicament, has quite the liking for tea.

God'sFist:

TheIronRuler:

God'sFist:

appearance:wheres a black cloak with a long sleeved shirt, black boots and arm/shin metal plates to protect him. has long brown shoulder length hair, mustache beard combo height 5'4"

weapon of choice: a curved hand and a half cavalry saber with flintlock pistol. they improved upon the pistol by making it a a one shot hand cannon, the sword was made better by making out of superior metals.

biography: Niloc came from a secret clan of assassins based in England.He was accepted into the clan as a child and grew up training in many forms of murder. He was a lone wolf never relied on anybody for anything. his training has left him with a cold edge to his manner of speech. all though he had been trained to be calm and controlled he developed a tendency to act "odd". A french noble who was angered by an Englishman heard of the clan and sent a message for their services. The clan sent Niloc on the mission but he was fated to be unsuccessful and hanged the day after. When presented the with the aliens he was of course convinced they were demons of some sort. But he eventually came to accept his predicament, has quite the liking for tea.

Looks good. I'll inform you when we start. Since you're the first person to have submitted a sheet we still need to wait for other players to jump in. You can continue following the thread and see other sheets and people you'll play alongside with in the near future.

Oh, and one last note:

appearance:He's 5'4", Caucasian. His hair is brown and reaches down to his shoulders. He has a goatee and mustache. He wears a long sleeved shirt and a black cloak over it. He is equipped with arm and shin metal plates. He wears black boots.

weapon of choice: a curved hand and a half cavalry saber with flintlock pistol. they improved upon the pistol by making it a a one shot hand cannon, the sword was made better by making out of superior metals. The loading period is approx. five seconds.

please don't give up on this I tried to be apart of a different role play but that one is down. come on people lets get this thing on its feet.

Grim327:

Rogue Trooper:
OP this looks like it could be a damn good RP, you can bet your ass I'll work on a sheet for this.

Viking Incognito:

deathbydeath:

Anti-American Eagle:

Just a friendly reminder to all of you that we are still rolling and awaiting sheets. Furthermore, you don't have to be a veteran of a war to participate. The conflict you could have been in doesn't have to be a war, however! You must be experienced in the art of killing and/or experienced with your weapons enough to warrant attention from the aliens.

Perfect timing, as I just came up with a character idea. I'm dumping Robert in another rp in exchange for another crazyman to partake in this one. A sheet is in progress.

deathbydeath:
Perfect timing, as I just came up with a character idea. I'm dumping Robert in another rp in exchange for another crazyman to partake in this one. A sheet is in progress.

Alright, I'm awaiting your sheet.

seems interesting but here's a question:
What will be done to balance people from other times?
I mean A space marine is going to be more than overpowered compared to a midievil Knight.

Just wanted to put my unfinised sheet here to show that am still interested in this RP

Name: Czcibor Bojanowski

Appearance: Czcibor is a 6ft tall man with dark brown hair and blue eyes. He has light stubble and has scar running down the left side of his cheek. Apart from his facial features Czcibor is wearing his polish paratrooper fatigues and combat helmet which he last wore back on earth before he was taking by the aliens.

Year of departure (from earth): 21 September 1944 south of the Rhine in the village of Driel in the country of Holland

Weapon of choice: Mark V Sten gun. Czcibor's weapon has not been modified heavily, apart from a few modifications to make the sub-machine gun more accurate and all but remove the recoil of the gun. However the most significant modification is that the new 9mm round that the Sten gun fires is now armored piercing and explosive tipped.

Skills: Has training and good experience with a variety of firearms, is a trained parachutist and is experienced in urban and long-range warfare.

Biography:

Rogue Trooper:
Just wanted to put my unfinised sheet here to show that am still interested in this RP

Appearance: Czcibor is a 6ft tall man with dark brown hair and blue eyes. He has light stubble and has scar running down his cheek, which he received when a German soldier got to close to him with his combat knife during the siege of Warsaw in the early days of the Second World War. Apart from his facial features Czcibor is wearing his polish paratrooper fatigues and combat helmet which he last wore back on earth before he was taking by the aliens.

Year of departure (from earth): 21 September 1944 south of the Rhine in the village of Driel in the country of Holland

Weapon of choice: Mark V Sten gun. Czcibor's weapon has not been modified heavily, apart from a few modifications to make the sub-machine gun more accurate and all but remove the recoil of the gun. However the most significant modification is that the new 9mm round that the Sten gun fires is now armored piercing and explosive tipped.

Skills: Has training and good experience with a variety of firearms, is a trained parachutist and is experienced in urban and long-range warfare.

Biography:

You want a gun that doesn't even have a safety? It's a glorified tube. Furthermore, your appearance section has more text about how he got that scar than his actual appearance. There's no need for that. You can instead tell me more about how he looks.

still looking forward to this I am also curious about the space marine on knight problem and by no means is my character a super armored space marine.

And now there are explosive tips, and a pneumatic knuckle duster.

TheIronRuler:

Rogue Trooper:

Appearance: Czcibor is a 6ft tall man with dark brown hair and blue eyes. He has light stubble and has scar running down his cheek, which he received when a German soldier got to close to him with his combat knife during the siege of Warsaw in the early days of the Second World War. Apart from his facial features Czcibor is wearing his polish paratrooper fatigues and combat helmet which he last wore back on earth before he was taking by the aliens.

Biography:

You want a gun that doesn't even have a safety? It's a glorified tube. Furthermore, your appearance section has more text about how he got that scar than his actual appearance. There's no need for that. You can instead tell me more about how he looks.

Well am not getting rid of the Sten gun because it was a weapon that the paratroopers would have used during market garden, however I can see your point about the appearance section so I'll fix that.

Josh12345:
seems interesting but here's a question:
What will be done to balance people from other times?
I mean A space marine is going to be more than overpowered compared to a midievil Knight.

There won't be space marines, I specified that earlier. The latest year for characters is 2100. The trade-off should be noted here - When you take a character with melee weapons, that character has armor. Said armor can withstand some bullets (now it can!) and sustain punishment. This way you can get up close and personal. People who come from 18th century combat plus usually won't have armor, but they will have ranged weapons. That way they need to keep themselves protected from fire and can hit targets at a distance.

drmigit2:

Damn. A few issues:
Ammunistion. You need to carry all of those nets and Javelins. While bullets are, y'know, tiny, and some weapons can regenerate their firepower via battery, this one is much more limited. You better keep that in mind. The nets themselves seem rather... under-powered.

I would hate to have a medic or anything of this sort this early in the game to give injuries their much needed weight, but I can allow it if you limit the amount of uses. Lets say... 4, 5 doses for starters, and non-fatal injuries.

His appearance could use much needed information. I don't like the exo-skeleton - what does it do exactly and why is he the only one with it? Could he wear other types of armor? How effective is the exoskeleton against enemy attacks?

ruedyn:

Tell me if there are problems.

Damn, that's a scary specialist... I can't wait to see how you deal with sneaking into the enemy base and planting explosives unnoticed. Reading emotions etc. might be out of place here, since the only humans are your companions. Oh, what do you think about explosive-tipped crossbow bolts?

TheIronRuler:

Damn, that's a scary specialist... I can't wait to see how you deal with sneaking into the enemy base and planting explosives unnoticed. Reading emotions etc. might be out of place here, since the only humans are your companions. Oh, what do you think about explosive-tipped crossbow bolts?

Reading emotions and manipulating them can be used for more than just one purpose. Setting off a knights berserk button, soothing the scared, etc.

As for explosive crossbow bolts, fuck yes. Maybe I'll just get a hawkeye quiver.

ruedyn:

TheIronRuler:

Reading emotions and manipulating them can be used for more than just one purpose. Setting off a knights berserk button, soothing the scared, etc.

As for explosive crossbow bolts, fuck yes. Maybe I'll just get a hawkeye quiver.

That's.. a really good idea. Ok, edit the explosive crossbow bolts in too.

Rogue Trooper:

TheIronRuler:

Rogue Trooper:

Biography:

Well am not getting rid of the Sten gun because it was a weapon that the paratroopers would have used during market garden, however I can see your point about the appearance section so I'll fix that.

Fine, but I don't want you to accidentally discharge some bullets and kill your teammates.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked