Even adamantium rusts: Hugh Jackman stars in <em>Logan</em>.

Logan Is Canon to the MCU’s Deadpool 3

Deadpool 3 director Shawn Levy says Logan is canon to his Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) film.

Recommended Videos

The director, speaking to BroBible, set out to assuage fan fears that Logan, one of the more respected and believed superhero films ever made, by confirming that not only do he and Ryan Reynold’s love the film but it is being considered canon for Deadpool 3.

“I have always said that I can’t wait for Deadpool 3 to come out because all I want to do is give interviews alongside Ryan where we talk about our reverence for the movie Logan,” Levi said. “Logan is canon. We love Logan. That happened. I want the world to know, as the producer and director, all of us share a deep love and respect for Logan, every aspect of how it’s crafted, and all the events that take place.”

That simple sentence brings a lot of consequences for the MCU, as Deadpool 3 becomes the first property to cross over from Fox’s line of Marvel films into the MCU itself. If Logan is canon, then all the films leading up to it are canon too, meaning that we need to consider all the X-Men films canon as well and part of the MCU from here on out.

The question becomes how the hell they’re going to pull that off. Of course, the MCU is in the midst of a multiverse saga and that seems like the easiest way to excuse an entire segment of superheroes just not being there but also actually being there. In a multiverse, everything is canon because you can just say it took place in another timeline. Hell, Jennifer Garner’s Elektra is canon.

We’ll have to wait a while to find out just how Marvel is going to pull it all together, though. While Deadpool 3 is scheduled for release on May 3, 2024, production of the film has stopped completely during the actor’s strike. With no end in sight, it’s possible that the release date gets pushed back even further.

The Escapist is supported by our audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a small affiliate commission. Learn more
related content
Read Article What Is the Song in the Deadpool 3 Trailer? Answered
Read Article Watcher Addresses Streaming Service Controversy
Read Article Is Deadpool 3 in the MCU? Explained
Related Content
Read Article What Is the Song in the Deadpool 3 Trailer? Answered
Read Article Watcher Addresses Streaming Service Controversy
Read Article Is Deadpool 3 in the MCU? Explained
Author
Matthew Razak
Matthew Razak is a News Writer and film aficionado at Escapist. He has been writing for Escapist for nearly five years and has nearly 20 years of experience reviewing and talking about movies, TV shows, and video games for both print and online outlets. He has a degree in Film from Vassar College and a degree in gaming from growing up in the '80s and '90s. He runs the website Flixist.com and has written for The Washington Post, Destructoid, MTV, and more. He will gladly talk your ear off about horror, Marvel, Stallone, James Bond movies, Doctor Who, Zelda, and Star Trek.