The Boy and the Heron header

The Boy and The Heron Gets First Full Trailer, Release Date

A new trailer for Hayao Miyazaki’s mysterious new film, The Boy and the Heron, has finally arrived.

Recommended Videos

You can watch the trailer for The Boy and the Heron, which was released on the GKIDS YouTube channel, below. The epic trailer teases the film’s World War II-setting and the journey of protagonist Mahito. There’s, of course, a lot of the signature Studio Ghibli style and mystery, with some especially disturbing and astonishing imagery. The film is slated to release on Dec. 8 according to the trailer.

Related: Europa Channels Studio Ghibli in Breathtaking Adventure Game Reveal Trailer

The movie is the latest, and potentially final, outing for Miyazaki, the visionary storyteller who co-founded Studio Ghibli. There’s been a lot of mystery surrounding the plot of Miyazaki’s latest film, though details leaked out following the release of The Boy and the Heron in Japan earlier this year. So far, what I know about the film makes me think that it’s going to have some of the same gut-punch storytelling as Grave of the Fireflies, Isao Takahata’s 1988 animated film for Studio Ghibli. Frankly, I couldn’t be any more excited to get to watch The Boy and the Heron, as I’m a massive fan of Miyazaki and his films. There’s a real chance that this may actually be Miyazaki’s final film, since the auteur is now in his 80s.

Known in Japan as How Do You Live?The Boy and the Heron is slated to release in North America on Dec. 8

The Escapist is supported by our audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a small affiliate commission. Learn more
related content
Read Article Is Ron Perlman in Amazon’s Fallout Series?
A close up from the Fallout TV series of a person in power armour.
Read Article Bethesda Reveals Official Stats for Prime Video’s Fallout Characters
Walton Goggins as The Ghoul in Fallout Season 1.
Read Article Fallout Season 1: What Is the Enclave?
Michael Emerson as Siggi Wilzig in Fallout Season 1
Related Content
Read Article Is Ron Perlman in Amazon’s Fallout Series?
A close up from the Fallout TV series of a person in power armour.
Read Article Bethesda Reveals Official Stats for Prime Video’s Fallout Characters
Walton Goggins as The Ghoul in Fallout Season 1.
Read Article Fallout Season 1: What Is the Enclave?
Michael Emerson as Siggi Wilzig in Fallout Season 1
Author
Liam Nolan
Liam Nolan has been the Managing Editor at The Escapist since August 2023, during which time he's covered Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth, Starfield, and several other major releases. After getting his Master of Arts in English in 2016, he began writing about comics, television, movies, and video games, with his work appearing at such outlets as Marvel.com, CBR, and The Mary Sue. When he's not writing on pop culture, you can find Liam working on his creative projects or traveling. You can follow him on Twitter @LD_Nolan or on Bluesky @ldnolan.bsky.social.