Protectors of the Crystals, a Final Fantasy RP (Dead)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Protectors Of The Crystals - A Final Fantasy RP

In the land of Halvor, there lived many people of different races. Some lived in peace, others couldn't stand one another. But they all still lived a somewhat peaceful life thanks to the crystals their king guarded, a duty which all members of the royal family had accepted without hesitation or temptation for generations. Living in the royal city of Alexia, they watched over the crystals and the land, making sure that everything was alright and peaceful. These crystals had been there for hundreds of years, even thousands. No one was exactly sure how long they'd been there, but no one questioned the crystals as they had helped repel the attacks of monsters along with providing with many of life's necessities and wonders, such as great fields for which to make farms on and grow crops, weather and living environment that brought many of nature's beauties and a wind for ships and airships to ride on off into the sunset.

However, things couldn't stay peaceful, for there grew a threat to this land of Halvor. The many cities and towns in it knew of it, for even though the crystals protected them and provided them with many great things, there were still tales of men who sought the crystals for their own selfish acts. Men and women of many different races. All of them were powerhungry and greedy for the crystals, a power which rivaled none other. All of them failed, but there was still the risk that someone would want the power of the crystals for themselves. The king knew about this. He also knew that a recent group of attackers attempted to raid the castle in search for the crystals, but did not succeed. That wasn't the first time they had attacked either. The power of the crystals had been weakening, and soon they would need time to recover before they could continue their work on the earth and environment around the land.

The king sent word around each of the towns and cities to send warriors, whoever they might be. He knew the crystals couldn't be kept safe in the castle underground anymore and would need to ask these warriors for their aid to keep those crystals safe until their strength returned. He couldn't ask the guards around Alexia to go after the group because he would need them to stay in the city while the crystals would be at their weakest in case the monsters around the land would attack the city and its people. He couldn't have getting his subjects killed by savage beasts. Eight cities and towns, outside of Alexia, each with warriors of varying kind and skill, who would be trusted with the protection of the crystals and be tasked with dealing with this new threat. Any moment now, they would all be assembled in the grand hall of the castle.

Welcome, players, to this Final Fantasy RP of mine. My co-GM for this RP is PrinceOfShapeir, otherwise known as Corsair. Now that I've gotten your attention with the setting above, I would like to go over a few rules.

I'm looking for eight players including myself and Corsair. Now, I am only going to accept one player of each class, but I want to see more than one person apply for a class so that I can have options to pick from. If I see that a class is missing, I will offer someone to change their sheet or make a new one if someone else made a better character of the class you applied for.

If you have any questions, me and Corsair should be able to answer them.

Um, quick question, how psychotic are we to make our characters look? Standard FF?

Ruedyn, I honestly have no idea what that even means. Could you please elaborate?

The only thing I can think of is if we should be as badly dressed as characters like Tidus. I'm not going to explicitly ban pants with one leg longer than the other, but as in real life they are discouraged.

I'll post up my sheet ASAP.

I am interested in making a Ranger for this party. This seems like a good story.

How does a Viera Dragoon sound? Pretty much a super duper agile polearm wielding badass.

drmigit2:
How does a Viera Dragoon sound? Pretty much a super duper agile polearm wielding badass.

I don't see a problem with it. You can make a Viera Dragoon if you want.

PrinceOfShapeir:
The only thing I can think of is if we should be as badly dressed as characters like Tidus. I'm not going to explicitly ban pants with one leg longer than the other, but as in real life they are discouraged.

Pretty much, yeah. I'll make a Black Mage soon.

Quick question actually, which time period is this? Are we doing fantasy FF1-6 or futuristic FF7-onward?

The earlier ones. Look at FF6 primarily for inspiration.

I'll put up a sheet sometime tomorrow-ish. You already know what I'm making.

This is a ranger.

Tell me if you have any problems with him.

Glasgow:

A composite bow.
2 crossbows.
3 handguns.
A sawed-off shotgun.
A rifle.
Ammo for all of those.
Multiple darts and bombs.

Even leaving aside the ridiculousness of seeing that in writing, or the mini-mall worth of ammo he must carry around, a human being just straight up cannot carry that kind of weight and still move at anything over shuffling speed. This guy's combat efficiency is going to be at about the level of a turtle the size of a Volkswagen, but without the armor value. You'll want to reconsider this, to say the least.

Alright, Glasgow, pretty good sheet. Few problems though. One, you should probably mention his replacement bits in the inventory. Two, move his eye to there, magic is just for spells. Three, you should reduce your number of weapons a bit. A bow, two crossbows, a bolt-action rifle, three pistols, a shotgun, and an assortment of crude grenades is a bit much. Pick one of the larger weapons, two of the smaller ones, and a limited number of the grenades. If you choose to keep the firearms, reduce how technologically advanced they are. Flintlocks are about the extent, and while being able to reload a pistol very quickly is reasonable, we just don't have automatic weaponry at this point in the timeline of the setting.

Yumi_and_Erea:

Glasgow:

A composite bow.
2 crossbows.
3 handguns.
A sawed-off shotgun.
A rifle.
Ammo for all of those.
Multiple darts and bombs.

Even leaving aside the ridiculousness of seeing that in writing, or the mini-mall worth of ammo he must carry around, a human being just straight up cannot carry that kind of weight and still move at anything over shuffling speed. This guy's combat efficiency is going to be at about the level of a turtle the size of a Volkswagen, but without the armor value. You'll want to reconsider this, to say the least.

PrinceOfShapeir:
Alright, Glasgow, pretty good sheet. Few problems though. One, you should probably mention his replacement bits in the inventory. Two, move his eye to there, magic is just for spells. Three, you should reduce your number of weapons a bit. A bow, two crossbows, a bolt-action rifle, three pistols, a shotgun, and an assortment of crude grenades is a bit much. Pick one of the larger weapons, two of the smaller ones, and a limited number of the grenades. If you choose to keep the firearms, reduce how technologically advanced they are. Flintlocks are about the extent, and while being able to reload a pistol very quickly is reasonable, we just don't have automatic weaponry at this point in the timeline of the setting.

The ranger has no magic to speak of, which is why I imagined having an arsenal of flashy kill-machines is required in this instance to keep up with the other players. I can't use melee weapons either. The weapons themselves are heavy, I will give you that, but he doesn't carry any armor.
From what I gather, semi-automatic weapons are a no-go in this setting. This means that I can drop two of the handguns my character has and keep the revolver (unless you would like to throw that out too). The darts themselves are small and very light, and I can limit the number of bombs I have even further. What looks ideal is keeping the rifle and the shotgun. The bow can either go or stay, and the crossbows themselves are just a last ditch effort to stay alive before something impales Ein.

PrinceOfShapeir:
I'm not going to explicitly ban pants with one leg longer than the other, but as in real life they are discouraged.

I read this in a very dignified voice and now I can't stop laughing.
Someone send help.

I'll have a sheet up either tonight or tomorrow. Looks interesting!

I think I fixed all of the problems you mentioned, PrinceOfShapeir.

Glasgow:
The ranger has no magic to speak of, which is why I imagined having an arsenal of flashy kill-machines is required in this instance to keep up with the other players. I can't use melee weapons either. The weapons themselves are heavy, I will give you that, but he doesn't carry any armor.
From what I gather, semi-automatic weapons are a no-go in this setting. This means that I can drop two of the handguns my character has and keep the revolver (unless you would like to throw that out too). The darts themselves are small and very light, and I can limit the number of bombs I have even further. What looks ideal is keeping the rifle and the shotgun. The bow can either go or stay, and the crossbows themselves are just a last ditch effort to stay alive before something impales Ein.

Actually, the technology isn't advanced enough to have rifles or shotguns. It would be appreciated if you took those out. I don't see a problem if you keep two of the following: bow, crossbow, revolver. The bombs are alright to keep if you follow what Corsair said, and the darts I'm not so sure on.

The Magic category is actually only for magic based classes, as the spoiler with the magic based classes indicates. I guess I just didn't mention it well enough that those with no magic don't need to include it, so you should mention your character's eye in inventory rather than magic.

Also, I did say that characters can have weapons aside from what their class would typically have. For example, look at Corsair's character. He's a thief that uses a dagger, a saber and a pair of collapsible crossbows. If you're concerned about your character's capability in close quarter combat, you could give him some kind of melee weapon if you so desired. He would just be much more effective with long range weapons.

Lambi:

Glasgow:

Actually, the technology isn't advanced enough to have rifles or shotguns. It would be appreciated if you took those out. I don't see a problem if you keep two of the following: bow, crossbow, revolver. The bombs are alright to keep if you follow what Corsair said, and the darts I'm not so sure on.

The Magic category is actually only for magic based classes, as the spoiler with the magic based classes indicates. I guess I just didn't mention it well enough that those with no magic don't need to include it, so you should mention your character's eye in inventory rather than magic.

Also, I did say that characters can have weapons aside from what their class would typically have. For example, look at Corsair's character. He's a thief that uses a dagger, a saber and a pair of collapsible crossbows. If you're concerned about your character's capability in close quarter combat, you could give him some kind of melee weapon if you so desired. He would just be much more effective with long range weapons.

I can't follow that firearm logic. If you restrict technology to muzzle-loading (18th century firearms), then there really is no darn point in using firearms in this instance. Muzzle-loaded muskets (and pistols) were used in the armies of the day when quantity was better than quality. Advancing armies simply shot volleys of iron balls at the enemy without aiming. There was no accuracy in these at all. There was no skill in shooting these, as they could be handled the same way by an experienced soldier or a peasant - perhaps the difference being in the time between loading said guns and cleaning them. After around 10 shots said guns need to be cleaned or their accuracy drops significantly or they could even misfire. Not only that, but while you limited rifles and shotguns, you allowed a revolver - which is much more advanced than the muzzle-loaded muskets.

Look, I don't want to be rude, this is your RP, but the technological progression of firearms is something I am a tad aware of. I find it hard to understand the firearm logic behind your RP. If I can have a revolver, then I surely can have a rifle and a shotgun. A shotgun itself is a musket made for hunting (a spiritual successor of actual muskets used in combat). The balls used with said weapons were as large as 10 gauge slugs, even bigger.

This is how I see it - The two semi-automatic pistols are the most advanced I offered. Following them is the revolver with the its drum and Percussion cap. The rifle I suggested is manual. It has no internal loading mechanism able to receive clips or magazines - it needs to be fed separately. You can deny me that. You can make me turn it into a muzzle-loaded rifle or musket. After that is the less technologically advanced shotgun - the question of the matter is this : How is it being loaded? If it's fed by a break-action or through the muzzle? (I'm not even talking about more advanced mechanisms) The break-action is more modern than the muzzle option, and by that point it's a glorified shortened musket.

The more rudimentary the firearm the less accurate and reliable it is, the less well it preforms in combat. Please reconsider the way you treat firearms in your RP.

When I heard CJ was making a Dragoon, I decided to make this character because honestly, he is probably going to be more fun than my badass bunny girl.

drmigit2:
-snip-

My biggest problem with your sheet is his personality and what he's done. He doesn't sound like someone anyone would want to be around or trust with anything. The warriors that are coming to Alexia need to be people that the king can trust. Your character doesn't sound like such a character.

Also, his name sounds kind of ridiculous. This may be fantasy, but that name doesn't sound like it belongs on a character.

And you accidentally mentioned Min in age.

Lambi:

drmigit2:
-snip-

My biggest problem with your sheet is his personality and what he's done. He doesn't sound like someone anyone would want to be around or trust with anything. The warriors that are coming to Alexia need to be people that the king can trust. Your character doesn't sound like such a character.

Also, his name sounds kind of ridiculous. This may be fantasy, but that name doesn't sound like it belongs on a character.

And you accidentally mentioned Min in age.

I raise that this is a game with people named Cloud Squall and Titus, but if the name bothers you too much I can change it. As for being signed up, he is still renowned as an excellent white mage, a prodigy even, and most of the word that gets out would be something like, "He helped the village so much the elder gave him his staff." Or, "He healed an entire village of dying people." His personality has never shown up in the reports. There are villages who want him dead, but they are mostly small tiny villages who send people to kill you instead of reporting to other places. Fixed the Min.

Fair enough, Migit. The character is workable from an in character perspective, but from an out of character one, well, I'll be frank, the guy's an asshole. I just see us getting ten minutes into the journey and the Protectors deciding that they'll be okay with a Red Mage and just beating him to death with cricket bats. I don't think the concept is unworkable, but maybe dial it back a bit so that he's just abrasive and dickish instead of a literal corpse-robbing scumbag?

Due to a recent question, I realize I didn't really describe how advanced the technology is, and I didn't even think it fully through how advanced the weapons are.

For the ones who have played the games, the technology in the RP is on part with VI. It's ye olde fantasy with some small advances made towards technology.

As for weapons such as firearms, the weapons aren't automatic or semi-automatic. They are still advanced enough to have something like a revolver or a shotgun.

Very well, this is the revised sheet.
I have removed some of Ein's weapons.

PrinceOfShapeir:
Fair enough, Migit. The character is workable from an in character perspective, but from an out of character one, well, I'll be frank, the guy's an asshole. I just see us getting ten minutes into the journey and the Protectors deciding that they'll be okay with a Red Mage and just beating him to death with cricket bats. I don't think the concept is unworkable, but maybe dial it back a bit so that he's just abrasive and dickish instead of a literal corpse-robbing scumbag?

He really is supposed to be an asshole XD. Asshole white mages are the best because well, nobody else can revive people without using a phoenix down. But yeah, he isn't going to try and fuck the party over because I imagine the reward at the end of this will be more than enough to keep his attention. He will be just enough of an asshole for people to dislike him, but not enough to be shot on the spot.

Yeah, this probably isn't too good. Whatever, tell me how I messed up.

EDIT: I'M AN IDIOT!

Ruedyn, I haven't read over the sheet yet, but I've seen a pretty big problem already. You, uh, you don't have a name.

PrinceOfShapeir:
Ruedyn, I haven't read over the sheet yet, but I've seen a pretty big problem already. You, uh, you don't have a name.

I just noticed that! Fixing it. Also, changing hometown, apparently I can't choose Alexia.

Lizmichi:
snip

Oh come on, another black mage so soon? I'm not making it in ._.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked