The Vanguards

Hold on a minute. This is Bioshock in space.
Furthermore, how can we be unique characters if we're Vanguard? Aren't we all brainwashed or hive-mind like killing machines that are hooked on alpha? Damn it man, this is more akin to having an RP where you play as splicers than an RP where you play as Jack.

Um...okay, a few questions.

1: Why does anyone worship Alpha? I don't worship my tupperware, even if I have way more of it than I need. The stuff is essentially Space Kudzu. Also, what are the rituals or devotions made to Alpha? Are there clergymen? Do I have to go confess my sins to the plastic? What are the doctrines of the Church of Alphatology? Do people meet to make a sacrifice to the Plaster Prince?

2: The Murphy-Turtletaub is impossible. A ship the size of Asia would require Asia-sized amounts of raw materials to be constructed and it would logically take decades, not four years. Furthermore, I'm pretty sure it's impossible for something the size of the Murphy-Turtletaub to move without coming apart from its own inertia under the laws of physics, particularly if, as suggested in the story, it operated in atmosphere. The only explanation I can come up with for how it could be constructed in a comparatively short amount of time is by just turning the Moon into a ship.

PrinceOfShapeir:

1: Why does anyone worship Alpha? I don't worship my tupperware, even if I have way more of it than I need. The stuff is essentially Space Kudzu. Also, what are the rituals or devotions made to Alpha? Are there clergymen? Do I have to go confess my sins to the plastic? What are the doctrines of the Church of Alphatology? Do people meet to make a sacrifice to the Plaster Prince?

2: The Murphy-Turtletaub is impossible. A ship the size of Asia would require Asia-sized amounts of raw materials to be constructed and it would logically take decades, not four years. Furthermore, I'm pretty sure it's impossible for something the size of the Murphy-Turtletaub to move without coming apart from its own inertia under the laws of physics, particularly if, as suggested in the story, it operated in atmosphere. The only explanation I can come up with for how it could be constructed in a comparatively short amount of time is by just turning the Moon into a ship.

A hollowed moon refugee ship does sound awesome...

Glasgow:
Furthermore, how can we be unique characters if we're Vanguard? Aren't we all brainwashed or hive-mind like killing machines that are hooked on alpha? Damn it man, this is more akin to having an RP where you play as splicers than an RP where you play as Jack.

To start this off with controversy, Bioshock can go to hell.:) If you want to talk about copying, we can talk all day about it ripping the guts out of Synnibar, stuffing it underwater and adding in a story so easy to predict I quit playing half an hour through. Now that that's out of the way, onto more pleasant things.:)

You're not hive-minded and you're only mildly brainwashed, if at all. All it is is putting the people of the ship ahead of themselves and anything else they encounter, more like generations of xenophobia in a sense, wouldn't you say?

Alpha is not atom,adam, whatever the hell it's called. It is a one-time injection almost immediately after birth that becomes a part of the person. There is never any need for another injection as your body is given the ability to reproduce it within a relatively short amount of time. You are not killing machines, you're just better equipped to kill than most people alive, and as it says if you had continued reading, you're also taught how to be nice to people, since killing them makes them NOT WANT TO HELP YOU.

PrinceOfShapeir:

1.Well, why does anyone worship their deity of choice nowadays? A big book said so in most cases. No true proof they can perform any of the miracles the big books say they can, or have. And given the fact that they got booted off their own planet, don't you think it might leave some people without faith in theirs anymore? But most humans have a need to believe in something larger than themselves, and Alpha fit the bill. It's a synthetic material that lives, yet has no signs of life other than to survive and evolve. The entire interior of the ship is covered with it, and it protects the people within. If a guy can get on top of a car in the middle of L.A. and pronounce that he's God, and have a substantial amount of people believe and follow him, how much more of a stone's throw is it to believe that a man-made material is watching out for them? Besides, this is also generations down the line, most of which have never even set foot on their Earth, and there will always be crazies, some crazies just got more attention, and the Alphanaughts were one of them.

To talk more about the church/cult/etc., it says people just mushed together all the religions onboard basically, so it's really up to you how you choose to follow it. There's really no clergy, just more vocal believers than others.

2.Of course it's impossible, this is not our world, and not everything has to be bound by our laws of physics, or even our resource materials. Neither have I ever said the estimated world population, or the frenzy at which people might've been in to get it off the ground. Not to poke fun, but you're a gm of a FF rp for chrissakes, I'd say around 80% of the stuff in the games is impossible, doesn't mean that it doesn't exist in that world, now does it?

Oh, and to quote you back to you Sharpie.
*ahem*
The first time I ask you for advice on how to run an rp, is the day I quit doing it and take up a less demeaning hobby, like trash collecting. -PrinceofShapier, circa September 2012, Avatar:Legends of the Dark Age

Redryhno:

Glasgow:

To start this off with controversy, Bioshock can go to hell.:) If you want to talk about copying, we can talk all day about it ripping the guts out of Synnibar, stuffing it underwater and adding in a story so easy to predict I quit playing half an hour through. Now that that's out of the way, onto more pleasant things.:)

You're not hive-minded and you're only mildly brainwashed, if at all. All it is is putting the people of the ship ahead of themselves and anything else they encounter, more like generations of xenophobia in a sense, wouldn't you say?

Alpha is not atom,adam, whatever the hell it's called. It is a one-time injection almost immediately after birth that becomes a part of the person. There is never any need for another injection as your body is given the ability to reproduce it within a relatively short amount of time. You are not killing machines, you're just better equipped to kill than most people alive, and as it says if you had continued reading, you're also taught how to be nice to people, since killing them makes them NOT WANT TO HELP YOU.

That was mean. Thank you for answering our questions. Now it does seem even more gamey - we will have regenerating health - alpha.

I am guessing we will go down to planets, clear them of any life and settle there? Otherwise what is there to fight against?

This looks awesome, I'll probably try to have a sheet up tomorrow.

Looking at this in a second glance, the progression curve is plain... disgusting. This isn't for soldiers - it's for war-machines. It's plain disturbing to even imagine these behemoths walk around and fight... who the hell are they fighting against, and what the hell is wrong with using machinery instead of morphing your body into a disgusting biological machine?

I was interested in this earlier but now I'm not sure if I should go there... Level 3 onward is just plain wrong, and the description for the appearance of these vanguard units is inhuman.

Glasgow:
Looking at this in a second glance, the progression curve is plain... disgusting. This isn't for soldiers - it's for war-machines. It's plain disturbing to even imagine these behemoths walk around and fight... who the hell are they fighting against, and what the hell is wrong with using machinery instead of morphing your body into a disgusting biological machine?

I was interested in this earlier but now I'm not sure if I should go there... Level 3 onward is just plain wrong, and the description for the appearance of these vanguard units is inhuman.

It's not supposed to be pretty Glasgow, the whole point of them is "the people first", the Vanguards aren't technically living their own lives even,even though some actually sign up for it. Take almost any elite unit in pretty much any genre and it's not a pretty sight getting there, and sometimes it's not even pretty once there either. Cerberus in ME, the Spartans in Halo, the Asha'man, none of these were pretty processes, and some are even nastier once they reach their full potential.

Who are they fighting against you ask? Anyone that would seek to harm the ship and the people inside obviously. But if you read it, they aren't only fighting, because they're the first ones down on a new planet, first ones to go through an asteroid field, first to go through the few wormholes the Turtletaub makes. They're more than just "disgusting biological machines", they're half the reason the place is still populated to begin with. Why do you think only twenty of twenty-two Sleepers are still alive? Why not use machinery? Because magic, that's why. Machinery costs resources they won't always necessarily have, and because I wanted it like this obviously. Yes, level 3 onwards is wrong, but I'd say that the normal people are pretty wrong as well. Remember that by the time they reach puberty, around 80% of their organs, muscles, skeletal structure, and nervous system has been replaced with Alpha-ized bio-machines equivalents. And this is all just to make sure they keep surviving, otherwise they'd slowly wither as the generations go forward. They're dying slowly as it is, a species can't survive without a planet in this universe.

Now I can only assume you keep coming up with sporadic complaints either because of the hiccup in the Fate chat, you had an idea for something similar to this, or you simply can't wait and post all your misgivings about this in one post instead of throwing out tiny bits of questions that can be answered with a little thought and reading of the OP.

Redryhno:

Glasgow:

It's not supposed to be pretty Glasgow, the whole point of them is "the people first", the Vanguards aren't technically living their own lives even,even though some actually sign up for it. Take almost any elite unit in pretty much any genre and it's not a pretty sight getting there, and sometimes it's not even pretty once there either. Cerberus in ME, the Spartans in Halo, the Asha'man, none of these were pretty processes, and some are even nastier once they reach their full potential.

Who are they fighting against you ask? Anyone that would seek to harm the ship and the people inside obviously. But if you read it, they aren't only fighting, because they're the first ones down on a new planet, first ones to go through an asteroid field, first to go through the few wormholes the Turtletaub makes. They're more than just "disgusting biological machines", they're half the reason the place is still populated to begin with. Why do you think only twenty of twenty-two Sleepers are still alive? Why not use machinery? Because magic, that's why. Machinery costs resources they won't always necessarily have, and because I wanted it like this obviously. Yes, level 3 onwards is wrong, but I'd say that the normal people are pretty wrong as well. Remember that by the time they reach puberty, around 80% of their organs, muscles, skeletal structure, and nervous system has been replaced with Alpha-ized bio-machines equivalents. And this is all just to make sure they keep surviving, otherwise they'd slowly wither as the generations go forward. They're dying slowly as it is, a species can't survive without a planet in this universe.

Now I can only assume you keep coming up with sporadic complaints either because of the hiccup in the Fate chat, you had an idea for something similar to this, or you simply can't wait and post all your misgivings about this in one post instead of throwing out tiny bits of questions that can be answered with a little thought and reading of the OP.

I wanted to jump in and make a sheet but a second reading of the whole lore made me cringe. It was uncomfortable to say the least. I wanted to tell you my problems with this and any questions I had. You're being mean again. I don't like it.
I won't be playing here. Goodbye.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked