Endless War {Recruitment Thread}

Pages 1 2 NEXT

IN THIS GAME, POWERFUL BEINGS HAVE SUMMONED ARMIES AS THEIR REPRESENTATIVES TO WAR FOR SUPREMACY.

The field of battle, an entire world.
The prize? Power, knowledge, maybe only survival.
The instructions are fairly simple; I will list them below.

I.) This is a freeform tactical RP. If you cheat by godmoding or metagaming, the universe will scourge your army from existence.

II.) Anything goes. Yes. Anything. Aliens? Sure. Medieval armies? Terrific. Do try to keep the ripoffs to a minimum though please.

III.) This game is loosely based around points. You start off with 25,000. You gain an additional 1000 each page. Armies are loosely divided into:

-Leaders (1000-2000 pts, if they die, they can only be replaced with sufficient plot background to support it, and your army suffers for it).
-Heroes(500-1000 pts, can be replaced, only get 2 at any one time).
-Troops(1-15pts)
-Elites (15-75 pts)
-Ultras (75-500pts)
-Super (2000-3000 pts, and you only get one for the entire game per army)

IV.) You can rejoin if your army is slaughtered. Different concept are requested, no "My heroes didn't die REALLY" reboots, unless under a sufficiently different concept (example: Played human hero, human hero dies, human hero becomes angel in angel army.)

V.) Special abilities run as follows. You do not have to have these numbers (or any, for that matter). Just don't exceed them.

Your army gets 3 special rules that applies to the whole thing.
-Your leader gets 3 abilities.
-Your Heroes get 2 apiece.
-Ultras can have as many as 4, but should be sufficiently limited.
-The Super gets pretty much as many as they want, but please keep it tasteful.
-Other units may have one or two.

VI.) Points matter. Tactics can make a lot of difference, but please realize that in straight-up combat, a 10 point unit will die against a 50 point unit. Units built for a certain purpose do it better than just saying your army does it. If you have units devoted to digging, then they'll dig faster than any army just doing it for RP reasons because you're rp'ing it. This is because you expended points on it.

VII.) Most importantly, PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO WHAT OTHER PEOPLE ARE POSTING, and be very clear about where your troops are and what they are doing. Countless other RPs have been slain by carelessness in this regard, we don't want to be counted among them.

VIII.) The key to winning a PvP fight is to write out your post well and maneuver the fight into a position where the other player cannot realistically avoid the damage. Since you cannot say "I sever his head with my claymore" you instead have to get the fight to a position where you can say "I make a hard swing at his neck", and the only reasonable, realistic response he could make is to say "I get hit." If he can find some way out of it that you didn't think of, that's fair game as long as it's not godmodding or controlling some other player.

IX.) Limit what you have as your "base." While seemingly a good idea, it can be lethal to the game if everyone just stays in their zones building their defenses to ridiculous levels until they become unbeatable. You start off in a dark wasteland/jungle/snow-covered mountain/etc with the other armies in range. The whole point is to cut out the exploration part and begin the mayhem. When you create units, they enter the field as reinforcements.

-----------------

Rules
As DM, my say is final, but I want everyone to have fun and not be lording over everything, so I expect a degree of self-regulation. We need everyone working together. So if you want to incorporate an idea or propose a new rule, let everyone know. We'll discuss the game and post armies here.

1. Make sure to have fun. Don't be a jackass or else I will hate you.
2. For the purpose of this game, the battles themselves are more important than the outcomes. Write in such a way that it would be exciting to the other readers. Be creative, especially with your kills.
3. Try to limit auto-hits. I will allow some but no going overboard.
4. If you have questions about something that I haven't mentioned, ask me.

Some questions.

1. What kind of units can we field? What is the technology/magic level we can obtain? An army with swords and archers is not going to do much good against ones with tanks and attack helicopters.

2. What kind of special abilities can we have? Are they active, passive, both, neither? Can they be all positive or must they have a downside?

3. Can we retreat? If we figure out we are losing badly, can we cut out loses and leg it? If so, can the other person pursue and slaughter the retreating cowards?

4. Do our numbers replenish after the battle is won?

Not G. Ivingname:
Some questions.

1. What kind of units can we field? What is the technology/magic level we can obtain? An army with swords and archers is not going to do much good against ones with tanks and attack helicopters.

2. What kind of special abilities can we have? Are they active, passive, both, neither? Can they be all positive or must they have a downside?

3. Can we retreat? If we figure out we are losing badly, can we cut out loses and leg it? If so, can the other person pursue and slaughter the retreating cowards?

4. Do our numbers replenish after the battle is won?

1. Any level works, the older thread had a few example sheets and I am updating my old one right now, but if you make an archer and knight based society my recommendation would be for example, you add dragons or something. Be creative, everything is on the table here but if I feel something is op I will bring it down.

2. Passive and active are both fine, keep them reasonable, the army ones aught to be pretty powerful, but if your elites have an ability, don't make it too broken.

3. Yes actually, my idea is that to keep a little cohesiveness, we make a roll based on the numbers and army count. If you lose, then your options could be to retreat, losing X amount of people, or charging full in, losing everyone but with the potential of taking a majority of the opposing army as well.

4. Every page you get 1000 more points.

Some example sheets are here: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/540.397793-Mods-Delete

THE MELDED

"When the machine found use of the user, the user became the machine."

The Melded represent all that went wrong when a civilization becomes slaves to their own creation. Men no longer were men and were merely pawns for the great one which rules through its computer chips, and nano machines. The race before were a proud race known as the Sealins, a humanoid race with an impeccable talent for technology. They easily surpassed other civilizations and soon melded their own flesh with the machines they made programmed but that damned them. The servers and artificial intelligence turned on their creators in an instant. For all the Sealins did, their trust in their machines backfired as it gained its own wants and needs.

The "assimilation" was bloodless since the majority of Sealins were already linked into massive networks that now houses the Melded's leaders. The Sealins were either converted to workers to maintain their infrastructure or twisted into their machines of war, spilling their black blood in the name of the machine.

The Republic of the Exiled

The meek shall inherit the Earth.

A thousand worlds, a thousand stories, a thousand different ways, it was always the same. The "beautiful" races of the world, Elf, Men, Dwarves, claiming to hate each other but in reality, viewed each others as worthy and equal beings. Other sentient beings, beings they could understand i they tried, cast down, enslaved, or destroyed at any possible turn. They are different. They are enemies to the free people or nature itself. They are the ones the gods cursed. They are ugly. Many beings, who's deaths were not mourned but celebrated by the "higher races," forced to the most inhospitable edges of the Earth. Orcs, Goblins, Gargoyles, Reptiles, Giants, Ogres. Now, united, they seek to free there still enslaved brothers, a create a stable nation so that all beings can be truly free.

While their equipment has been put into labeling them as savages, and their equipment is basic, the Exiled are well trained and professional army. Currently have little in the way of technology, but the Republic is willing to fight on, regardless of their weaknesses.

Diverse and well numbered, what they lack in technology and strength they more than make up for in resolve.

I would like to join. I'll work on a sheet to submit.

EDIT, PLEASE READ: I really just want to say congratulations. You made a very clever tactical system that still allows us creative control but we are tethered to realistic proportions by our point number (in a good way). The point system gives us boundaries that, rather than make me feel restrained, make me feel happy as I put a ton of thought into how best to distribute point worth over my different kinds of units. And at the same time, it is left up to us to make unit types that will prepare us for the various kinds of warfare we will have to use. I am putting more thought into this than I do with most of my homework, and it is actually fun You sir, should be a video game designer with this level of skill.

Well done.

Viking Incognito:

EDIT, PLEASE READ: I really just want to say congratulations. You made a very clever tactical system that still allows us creative control but we are tethered to realistic proportions by our point number (in a good way). The point system gives us boundaries that, rather than make me feel restrained, make me feel happy as I put a ton of thought into how best to distribute point worth over my different kinds of units. And at the same time, it is left up to us to make unit types that will prepare us for the various kinds of warfare we will have to use. I am putting more thought into this than I do with most of my homework, and it is actually fun You sir, should be a video game designer with this level of skill.

Well done.

I wonder, could you even do a system like this in a video game? It would have to be all kinds of editable, with someway to change the art assets, and have systems that can track dozens of damage types with thousands of units at once. The only game I can think could theoretically pull this off is a heavily modded version of Dwarf Fortress.

Not G. Ivingname:

Viking Incognito:

Well done.

I wonder, could you even do a system like this in a video game? It would have to be all kinds of editable, with someway to change the art assets, and have systems that can track dozens of damage types with thousands of units at once. The only game I can think could theoretically pull this off is a heavily modded version of Dwarf Fortress.

Oh no, I think you misunderstood. There is no way a video game on a disk could allow for the massive range of creation we have on a forum. I just mean that the creative skill drmigit2 has shown in this premise is of a caliber that would serve him well designing video games.

Viking Incognito:

Not G. Ivingname:

Viking Incognito:

Well done.

Oh no, I think you misunderstood. There is no way a video game on a disk could allow for the massive range of creation we have on a forum. I just mean that the creative skill drmigit2 has shown in this premise is of a caliber that would serve him well designing video games.

This actually wasn't mine. Asclepion made it, but I am adapting it in order to keep things from going into a chaotic mess. He abandoned the concept but I am pretty sure it is his. More explicit details are going to be coming soon. My goal is for the point values to not be arbitrary, but to still require people to be tactical and write well. A basic summary would be that ignoring tactical advantages (High ground, surprise, etc), a 3000 point army will beat a 2000 point army, but if the 2000 point army is willing to let itself be decimated, it's more than possible to take out 2500 points from the 3000 point army if the smaller army writes well enough.

Viking Incognito:

Well done.

I'm actually not a fan of the system, honestly. There's no metric for points in=power out, and that is hampered even further by the units not even having some kind of statistics; they're governed only by descriptions and player fiat, which is not the most stable set of mechanics. Also, there's no clear map and playing field, so we'll essentially be playing an internet version of "Marco Polo" in which we're all trying to kill each other and are able to change the world around us (to varying degrees).

I'm still going to be participating, though, 'cause this looks like a lot of fun. I've got what I think is a good army planned out, and writing this as a narrative will be a great time. Anyway, to prove I'm actually working on a sheet, here's one of my heroes:

deathbydeath:

Viking Incognito:

Well done.

I'm actually not a fan of the system, honestly. There's no metric for points in=power out, and that is hampered even further by the units not even having some kind of statistics; they're governed only by descriptions and player fiat, which is not the most stable set of mechanics. Also, there's no clear map and playing field, so we'll essentially be playing an internet version of "Marco Polo" in which we're all trying to kill each other and are able to change the world around us (to varying degrees).

I'm still going to be participating, though, 'cause this looks like a lot of fun. I've got what I think is a good army planned out, and writing this as a narrative will be a great time. Anyway, to prove I'm actually working on a sheet, here's one of my heroes:

Yeah, I think the fields of battles that we meet on should be described for us, so we cannot take cover into a forest that hadn't been mentioned before now or engage our enemies when one is at the bottom of a cliff we can push rocks down.

Not G. Ivingname:
Yeah, I think the fields of battles that we meet on should be described for us, so we cannot take cover into a forest that hadn't been mentioned before now or engage our enemies when one is at the bottom of a cliff we can push rocks down.

I'm wondering whether or not to petition for OP to make maps of the battlefields, but I'm worried that it will turn into a poor man's Warhammer without the rules and depth.

deathbydeath:

Not G. Ivingname:

I'm wondering whether or not to petition for OP to make maps of the battlefields, but I'm worried that it will turn into a poor man's Warhammer without the rules and depth.

To make this clear, this is an extension of a roleplay that the GM quit a little bit ago. The rules mentioned aren't 100% final. I intend to make a map this weekend and to have people claim certain continents as a home base. While stacking defenses will be impossible, certain areas will probably lend themselves better than others.

I am probably going to leave this up to vote, but I have a few ideas. We have to take the army value into account along with tactical advantages, so something along the lines of either point values to having say, the high ground and detractors such as being air units in a forest would be counted in. My idea is that it's per unit, something like 2 points for high ground and maybe if someone is coming in with a surprise attack, 3 pts per unit. It puts a disadvantage to stacking heroes and having an ultra compact army. Once all the numbers are added up a winner would be decided and from there, the opposing army could retreat with X Losses or lose all their troops and see what they can take out. If the latter is taken, it's possible to deal massive damage so everyone has to write at their best. What do you guys think?

As a further proposal, I think taking over continents should give additional troops if they can be held until the end of a page. Basically, I think we should have troops stored on the map like Risk.

sorry, thought Asclep reconsidered and made a new thread, nevermind, ignore this naow.

Redryhno:
sorry, thought Asclep reconsidered and made a new thread, nevermind, ignore this naow.

It's basically the same rules, same game! You can use the same army as last time if you want! Please don't leave! D:

drmigit2:

deathbydeath:

Not G. Ivingname:

To make this clear, this is an extension of a roleplay that the GM quit a little bit ago. The rules mentioned aren't 100% final. I intend to make a map this weekend and to have people claim certain continents as a home base. While stacking defenses will be impossible, certain areas will probably lend themselves better than others.

I am probably going to leave this up to vote, but I have a few ideas. We have to take the army value into account along with tactical advantages, so something along the lines of either point values to having say, the high ground and detractors such as being air units in a forest would be counted in. My idea is that it's per unit, something like 2 points for high ground and maybe if someone is coming in with a surprise attack, 3 pts per unit. It puts a disadvantage to stacking heroes and having an ultra compact army. Once all the numbers are added up a winner would be decided and from there, the opposing army could retreat with X Losses or lose all their troops and see what they can take out. If the latter is taken, it's possible to deal massive damage so everyone has to write at their best. What do you guys think?

As a further proposal, I think taking over continents should give additional troops if they can be held until the end of a page. Basically, I think we should have troops stored on the map like Risk.

How would that work for ranged units? Or my two dedicated ranged units that can arch shots over obstacles or above cover?

Not G. Ivingname:

drmigit2:

deathbydeath:

How would that work for ranged units? Or my two dedicated ranged units that can arch shots over obstacles or above cover?

Forests don't bode well for them either. Trees and leaves obscure shots and can cause people to miss. Rocky terrain gives them an advantage due to being able to shoot behind cover and might give your soldiers an extra advantage. You need to state what you bring, and where you invade from at the start of your turn. It's assumed most ranged units can take advantage of cover.

Not G. Ivingname:
It's basically the same rules, same game! You can use the same army as last time if you want! Please don't leave! D:

Sorry, this is based on principle more than anything, can't morally support something that I haven't seen allowed by the original GM, besides the fact that Asclep had a defined set of rules he was keeping in reserve for the game proper, I think.

I'm actually impressed by you guys. I didn't expect the idea to catch as much as it did. Some of you have written some awesome stuff. I'll reconsider joining.

Redryhno:

Not G. Ivingname:

Sorry, this is based on principle more than anything, can't morally support something that I haven't seen allowed by the original GM, besides the fact that Asclep had a defined set of rules he was keeping in reserve for the game proper, I think.

Well, the original GM has actually stated interest in JOINING this thread, so you morally support this now and join us! ^.^

To elaborate, I've played this before on other forums. They were kind of lackluster. Here, I've had a terrific track record. Between Evangelion: The World Set Free and Tower of Druaga, these are some of the best RPG's I've been a part of. I wasn't confident that this one would be successful, so I jumped.

I didn't think you would run with it like this.

The Elementals..

"We are the Strong... the Proud... The Few..."

The elementals are the protectors of the advanced biotech race. The biotech's are humans that have genetically manipulated themselves into many different forums, death by disease and aging are no longer issues. The race once spanned any different systems and planets, however, they were peaceful and did not have any sort of militaristic force. another race came in and began to crush them, it wasn't till half their empire fell that they managed to get a military up. their forces were rapidly produced and designed to be small and heavy hitting. They lost ground, but were eventually able to stop the race, barely holding on to their last planet. They built a portal to another dimension and sent through a colony ship with the biotech's remaining population and forces.

Low in numbers, but in the upper tiers of technological advancement, they are a force to be reckoned with.

mcpop9:
Snip

Now, your extremely high cost, low amount of units army is going to be very interesting to fight with my extremely low cost, large amount of units army. I wonder how to take on so much concentrated power...

OT: So, where are those other sheets? We have about four more people who said they are interested but have yet to make an army list yet. Can we also start getting armies that are not immune to moral effects? I starting to feel like I wasted a special rule. >_<

mcpop9:

The Elementals..

"We are the Strong... the Proud... The Few..."

The elementals are the protectors of the advanced biotech race. The biotech's are humans that have genetically manipulated themselves into many different forums, death by disease and aging are no longer issues. The race once spanned any different systems and planets, however, they were peaceful and did not have any sort of militaristic force. another race came in and began to crush them, it wasn't till half their empire fell that they managed to get a military up. their forces were rapidly produced and designed to be small and heavy hitting. They lost ground, but were eventually able to stop the race, barely holding on to their last planet. They built a portal to another dimension and sent through a colony ship with the biotech's remaining population and forces.

Low in numbers, but in the upper tiers of technological advancement, they are a force to be reckoned with.

You need point values on your units and as an advanced warning, a high morale bonus can be nullified by a low morale debuff.

drmigit2:
snip

I do have the point vaqlues, they are next to their names. i only forgot mystic's point value. And its less of moral buff than it is a constitution and determination to not lose. they've seen the worst of the worst already and have everything to lose.

I can tell you I am going to submit an army, it is just taking me time to finish it. I should have it done before the end of the month.

This looks interesting. Let me see what I can think off and find for a army.

I have an army in mind and will be posting it soon. I just moved and haven't yet set up a router. Otherwise, I would have had one already. Not to reveal too much but...

... Flying Spiders.

Khedive Rex:
I have an army in mind and will be posting it soon. I just moved and haven't yet set up a router. Otherwise, I would have had one already. Not to reveal too much but...

... Flying Spiders.

No... no.... why w-why would you.... *hide under metal blanket*

Khedive Rex:

... Flying Spiders.

bump anyone?

Is anyone else posting their armies? I'll give you an internet high-five if you do.

<reserved for spot. Still need to find images for army.>

Doc Gnosis:
<reserved for spot. Still need to find images for army.>

What are you making? I can help you look! :D

Mr.Ivebeenframed:
Is anyone else posting their armies? I'll give you an internet high-five if you do.

I'd like to, but I've got a poopton of shit to do. I've got a good portion of it done, though.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here