Serial Killer Round 46: Burn the Witch! Cycle 3: Waiting on witch and physician

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

@razer: Why do you want an in-built GPU? Just want to save money?

@Nouw: Registering for the prerelease is easy enough. You just give one of the staff your name and which one of the five guilds you'd like to represent. Depending on your choice of guild, you'll receive a guild pack, at the event, that contains almost everything you need.

A Guild Pack contains six booster packs, five randomised as per usual and one tailored to your guild of choice. You use the cards you get in the packs to build a forty-card deck: this type of tournament is called Sealed Deck. Ideally you want 23 nonland cards and seventeen lands in your deck (you can get basic lands for free from the store's stocks of each, but only during prereleases and drafts and such). You're usually allowed half an hour for deck construction, after which you play a few matches against other participants.

Most people will probably be willing to help out an inexperienced player, myself included. If you want I might be able to help with deck construction as well, though I won't know for sure until I see my own card pool. XD

The guild pack also includes an achievement card, which you can complete if you like. I dunno if there's a reward for doing so: you might get a promo card.

With all of that out of the way, which guild do you think you'll go for? The guilds featured in Gatecrash are Dimir (blue/black), Orzhov (white/black), Boros (red/white), Simic (green/blue) and Gruul (red/green). Each one has a defined style of play and a unique in-game mechanic. Do you have a preference for any particular colour?

A short message to the less Magically inclined: Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread a little.

@CA: I was actually considering taking this to PM but what the hell, these threads have always been used for conversing.

Anyway, thanks for clearing that up although it is a bit daunting, to say the least, to create my own deck. I suppose there's a first for everything! I myself use a white/green but I've always wanted to go black so white/black looks very tempting. It's probably a difficult deck but at least I have a legitimate excuse to suck :P.

@Jak: Yep, it's to save money. But only temporarily. I will get a proper GPU a couple of months later, it's just that this way I can get my PC together quicker. But in the end I decided to stick with the i5 3470, over the AMD.

Anyway, I don't even have a 50% voter turnout yet, and I will message those who haven't voted and give them till tomorrow morning to vote.

@Nouw: I see. From what I've read, white/black is easy enough to do. It has a bit of a control aspect to it, and with the extort mechanic you've got to be sure to manage your mana properly: do you leave your lands untapped for an instant spell in your opponent's turn, or burn it all on life-draining as you cast something in your own turn?

Of course, don't be afraid to include on-colour cards from the other guilds. There's often mixing and matching in a Sealed Deck or Draft format.

The mob gathered quickly and chose its target. The Witch must pay, and blood shall be repaid with blood.

The mob has chosen its victim. Check your inbox.

@CA: Aaah, I'm not too shabby at mana-management so there's something. I wasn't aware you could mix guild-cards so perhaps I shall.

@Nouw: Hehe. They aren't mutually exclusive. You just need to provide the mana for them, and be sure that you can cast them if you put them in your deck.

@CA: Hey, I'm not that new to the game ;). But yeah, I will keep it in mind. In my mad rush to build a good deck I may over-look the small stuff like that.

@Nouw: =P Fair enough.

I suppose I should actually build a deck... but I can't afford any of my fun ideas, since they're packed full of rares and mythics. Hmm.

@CA: I know what you mean. All my friends have all these fancy cards, acquired from the splurge someone does when starting a new hobby, and all I have is a basic white/green deck made from those 30-card sets. I will eventually get there, and I'm sure you will too!

@Nouw: I've been playing since the original Ravnica block, back in 2005. My biggest issue is that I don't want to drop that much money on a single card. So I build whatever I like on Cockatrice, essentially online Magic for free.

@CA: It's the biggest trading card game and I'm surprised there's a thing like that. Awesome. And yeah, I can understand not wanting to pay so much for only one card considering you could buy entire packs of cards with the same amount. I'm not really keen either.

@Nouw: Indeed. The best cards in a set are often the rarest, due to their unique or semi-unique rules. And of course, the elusive planeswalker cards... mythic among mythics since only five 'walkers are released per block. I have yet to open a booster pack that contains a planeswalker, though I've opened a fair few mythics... even some foil rares.

@CA: Nice, nice. I do want to buy a booster some time, the excitement of getting new cards is something I've missed after quitting Duel Masters. Hey, no judging :P.

So I hope that's ok, but being new to this I have no idea what I'm doing really.

The mob has taken it's first victim, but sadly the witch he was not.

Venom3135 has been killed, waiting on Witch and Physician

The witch wasn't stopped and so she has claimed another victim.

The witch has struck again, check your inbox.

@razer: She? Well, that narrows it down immensely. Nyahaha.

No PM on my end. I live!

Great... now people will think I'm the damn witch.

@Liz: Either you, sky14, Penguin, Terra, or Skye.

Could be worse odds.

@CA: haha oops. Just a turn of phrase, since witches are usually thought of as female. Although up till that point I had been trying my hardest to avoid using she, guess I slipped up.

@RaNDM G: I could always change my gender on my profile :p

@Terra: Sex change at the push of a button?

@RaNDM G: Who knows? >.> <.< >.>

RaNDM G:
Penguin

o_O

I'm not a girl! D:

At least... let me check again... Yep, definitely a not a girl. <.<"

@War: I think he was talking about me >.>

No one doubts your manliness :P

@MortifiedPenguin: Oh... Right... It feels weird not being the only penguin here anymore. :P

Ha! My profile has been set to male for ages.

Besides, everyone knows witches are always referred to as female, even when they aren't biologically.

@Sky: I was actually bored enough to check that you set it to nothing. What are you trying to tell us?!

Also, people seem to curiously forget about warlocks, essentially the male equivalent. :P

MortifiedPenguin:
@War:...No one doubts your manliness :P

Pfft. Speak for yourself.

War Penguin:
@Sky: I was actually bored enough to check that you set it to nothing. What are you trying to tell us?!

Also, people seem to curiously forget about warlocks, essentially the male equivalent. :P

Think it's pretty clear that Sky has ascended to plan of no gender. Although I thought Midknight was the only one to have done that.

xTwinkiesx:

MortifiedPenguin:
@War:...No one doubts your manliness :P

Pfft. Speak for yourself.

... Ow. D:

NeoAC:

War Penguin:

Think it's pretty clear that Sky has ascended to plan of no gender. Although I thought Midknight was the only one to have done that.

Ah, that must be from the godly and/or modly powers that she has attained over the years.

... Ow. D:

NeoAC:

War Penguin:

Ah, that must be from the godly and/or modly powers that she has attained over the years.[/quote]

Yeah, I did have to work pretty hard for it.

sky14kemea:
Yeah, I did have to work pretty hard for it.

But... not to question your ways, it's a rather thankless job, is it not?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here