'The Pit: Hell Frozen Over' - A Post-Apocalyptic Survival RP (Interest/Recruitment Thread (CLOSED))

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Ok, before we get started, I want to get all the boring stuff sorted and out of the way early, just so everybody knows what the deal is, and hopefully we'll avoid confusion later on when we've got the story rolling (It won't take long)...

Right, I'm done being Teacher now, let's get down to business...

That's the story so far, now for the character sheets...

Here are my two starting character sheets, which could also give you something more detailed to work with.

Here is my Inmate...

... and here is my Warden.

I'm sure Fappy will also have his character sheets up early in the thread. If you have any questions that have not been answered here, please feel free to ask and I will answer to the best of my ability.

Thank you for reading, and I hope we've caught your interest! :)

I like the "no one is safe" idea, that's one of the reasons I love game of thrones. I'll start working on a sheet or two.

EDIT: Actually I have a question. Are there professional medical and food staff like in a real prison or are the inmates just left to figure things out among themselves like Metro 2033?

Viking Incognito:
I like the "no one is safe" idea, that's one of the reasons I love game of thrones. I'll start working on a sheet or two.

EDIT: Actually I have a question. Are there professional medical and food staff like in a real prison or are the inmates just left to figure things out among themselves like Metro 2033?

A Song of Ice and Fire, as well as Game of Thrones was part of what inspired that angle. If you want to create true suspense, you can't make empty threats. Anyone's luck can run out.

The Wardens leave vital supplies at specific drop points throughout the facility, where they also pick up materials that have been mined and sorted by the Inmates (Inmates stop producing the goods. Inmates stop getting fed). However, while the Wardens are numerous, well armed, and well trained, they don't have much of a presence beneath The Pit, certainly not the deeper levels, where most of the gangs have their strongholds. The Wardens main duties are to keep Inmates from escaping, and to keep opposing interests from attempting to capture The Pit for themselves. So, when they drop the supplies, the Inmates are pretty much left to sort it out for themselves (As you can imagine, resources are rarely distributed evenly). There are many among the inmates who have medical training and other skills though from their previous lives, so as long as the right supplies can find their way to them, they can help the other Inmates (being useful to somebody helps keep you alive). Some of the more sympathetic Wardens do try and make a more humanitarian effort though, but it's no easy task.

I hope that cleared that up. Thank you for taking an interest. :D

Viking Incognito:

One of my inmate characters actually has a medical background!

Here are my characters:

Inmates -

Wardens -

Fappy:

Viking Incognito:

One of my inmate characters actually has a medical background!

Here are my characters:

Inmates -

Wardens -

Good job! Hopefully we'll get a few more by the end of today. :)

NinjaDeathSlap:
Snip

I like the idea but I'm a little confused about the premise of the facility and how fucked the world is? I am willing to post every day if I can join.

ProtoChimp:

NinjaDeathSlap:
Snip

I like the idea but I'm a little confused about the premise of the facility and how fucked the world is? I am willing to post every day if I can join.

In regards to the facility, imagine something along the lines of a Soviet Gulag crossed with an ant colony. It's a labyrinth of tunnels and chambers stretching over a hundred square miles, mostly underground. Venture uses the slaves it is given to mine, drill, and process materials (mainly natural gases that can be burned for fuel) out of pockets that have been sealed beneath the permafrost for thousands upon thousands of years. It then trades a portion of these materials with governments, as well as other private interests, all across the globe, for personnel, arms, equipment, and any other resources Venture doesn't already have in abundance.

As to how fucked the world is, it's in the middle of a huge transitional period. So, in some ways things are looking up, but the change brings it's own set of instabilities. It's been as near as makes no difference 200 years since The Cataclysm, so it's not quite immediate aftermath 'Dark Ages' level of fucked. The global population is once again rising, national border are being reformed, and global communication is getting easier. However, there's still a very long way to go. Environmentally speaking, there are large swathes of land, in some cases land that used to make up some of the most powerful nations in the world, that are completely uninhabitable. Beyond that, there are even more vast areas that are completely lawless, home to criminal gangs and warlord tribes, and fringe cults, where violence is constant. Even in the more 'civilised' parts of the world, governments are weak, having lost much of the territory that their wealth used to be drawn from, and steeped in corruption. International relations are feudal, and private oligarchy's like Venture Horizon are now just as large,and often larger, on the political stage than democracies, monarchies, and dictatorships alike.

I hope that answered you queries, and I'll very much look forward to any character sheet(s) you offer. :)

NinjaDeathSlap:
Snippity snip

Okay cool I'm getting more of an idea for it. Do we have to make Warden's and inmates or can it be just one, cos I want to make two inmates and maybe a warden but I'm not too sure. Also for one of my inmates would it be too overpowered if one was a gang leader in the Pit?

ProtoChimp:

NinjaDeathSlap:
Snippity snip

Okay cool I'm getting more of an idea for it. Do we have to make Warden's and inmates or can it be just one, cos I want to make two inmates and maybe a warden but I'm not too sure. Also for one of my inmates would it be too overpowered if one was a gang leader in the Pit?

It can be any number and any combination you want, just so long as you don't have so many that your attention is too divided to do justice to each individual. If you want to start with 2 Inmates and a Warden, then go for it, or if you just want to pick one to start with right now, that's fine too until we've got into the swing of things, that's when I might start asking people if they wouldn't mind all taking on more than one character, as the story gets bigger.

post the character sheet for the gang leader if you want to. If there's anything I don't like when I see it, I'll tell you. It would be a bit churlish of me to critisise you for making somebody 'overpowered' when my two characters are a trained military vet and a walking tank! That said, everybody needs weaknesses or it's just not believable, and I also have plans for the story as GM concerning the gangs that I might not want to give away too much control over. If your character looks like they might threaten that to an extent that I'm not comfortable with it, I'll tell you, but I want to see what you're going for in more detail before I make that choice.

Obviously any advice will be taken on board, I'm gonna write another post for a second inmate now. Very different from Spencer.

Okay I am nothing like this guy I just felt like making a villain for once, just wanted to throw that out there. If it gets in the way of the story I'm willing to change or even get rid of him.

ProtoChimp:
-Snip-

Both characters look good to me!

I may or may not end up playing the gang leader I established in my character's back story. I'll play him when he becomes relevant to the story unless someone else wants to.

ProtoChimp:

Obviously any advice will be taken on board, I'm gonna write another post for a second inmate now. Very different from Spencer.

You don't need to make any changes here, This is good :)

Just two things. Has Spencer just arrived at The Pit at the start of the RP, or do you want him to already have been here a while? I couldn't tell from your post. Also, if you ever describe his travels with the slavers in a post, make sure it takes place in Northern Europe, Scandinavia, Germany, Poland and the like, because we've already established that there's quite a lot of activity in the South around the Med, and you say that they avoid places of civilisation, so it'd be an anomaly if you described them travelling across Spain or Italy or the like. Other than that though, I have no concerns.

ProtoChimp:

Okay I am nothing like this guy I just felt like making a villain for once, just wanted to throw that out there. If it gets in the way of the story I'm willing to change or even get rid of him.

I love it! :)

NinjaDeathSlap:

Just two things. Has Spencer just arrived at The Pit at the start of the RP, or do you want him to already have been here a while? I couldn't tell from your post. Also, if you ever describe his travels with the slavers in a post, make sure it takes place in Northern Europe, Scandinavia, Germany, Poland and the like, because we've already established that there's quite a lot of activity in the South around the Med, and you say that they avoid places of civilisation, so it'd be an anomaly if you described them travelling across Spain or Italy or the like. Other than that though, I have no concerns.

Okay I'll keep that in mind. Also one thing, could you make a group for the rp, I'm in one for another rp and it makes the out of character talk much simpler.

EDIT: I forgot Spencer is a new arrival.

ProtoChimp:

NinjaDeathSlap:

Okay I'll keep that in mind. Also one thing, could you make a group for the rp, I'm in one for another rp and it makes the out of character talk much simpler.

That was the plan, once we'd collected enough people for the RP to get going.

NinjaDeathSlap:
-Snip-

I'm not sure how long it usually takes to get an RP started around here, but you think we might want to lower the minimum number of players to like 6 just to start off and leave the RP open until we get 12 (including us)?

Fappy:

NinjaDeathSlap:
-Snip-

I'm not sure how long it usually takes to get an RP started around here, but you think we might want to lower the minimum number of players to like 6 just to start off and leave the RP open until we get 12 (including us)?

Yeah, I took out the specific number that was in the thread originally. We'll just see how it goes.

NinjaDeathSlap:

Fappy:

NinjaDeathSlap:
-Snip-

Yeah, I took out the specific number that was in the thread originally. We'll just see how it goes.

Post the name of the rp here if you want more people to sign up. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/540.392294-Escapist-Forum-Roleplay-Index-Submit-yours-or-find-one

ProtoChimp:

NinjaDeathSlap:

Fappy:

Post the name of the rp here if you want more people to sign up. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/540.392294-Escapist-Forum-Roleplay-Index-Submit-yours-or-find-one

Cheers! I didn't think about that. I have had some more people express interest and ask questions to me privately but so far no more characters yet.

Could I take a reserve please?

Venom 3135:
Could I take a reserve please?

I may be having a brain-fart moment here (been a while since I've been involved in RP), but what do you mean by 'reserve'?

Two female characters.
Tell me what you think.

Glasgow:
Two female characters.
Tell me what you think.

I like them. I have a feeling neither character is going to like my warden very much... at all XD

Glasgow:
Two female characters.
Tell me what you think.

I like both of these characters. We needed more women and these two have the potential for some interesting dynamics with other characters. :)

There is just one minor thing. In the case of Diana, she wouldn't be 'sent' to The Pit by her home country, not as a Warden anyway. It's Venture Horizon who decides personnel deployments. It would only be a very minor change, but we could make it so the new military council officially dismisses her, but as a gesture of goodwill (and to keep her from going rogue), they help 'negotiate' a new contract for her with Venture. How does that sound?

Here are my characters

NinjaDeathSlap:

Glasgow:
Two female characters.
Tell me what you think.

I like both of these characters. We needed more women and these two have the potential for some interesting dynamics with other characters. :)

There is just one minor thing. In the case of Diana, she wouldn't be 'sent' to The Pit by her home country, not as a Warden anyway. It's Venture Horizon who decides personnel deployments. It would only be a very minor change, but we could make it so the new military council officially dismisses her, but as a gesture of goodwill (and to keep her from going rogue), they help 'negotiate' a new contract for her with Venture. How does that sound?

Is there much of a difference here? She was sent to 'exile' so she won't interfre with their plans, and Venture accepted her as a warden. She feels betrayed but she can't go rogue because she sees this warden position as serving her country in a way, bit she's still bitter as hell.

Glasgow:

NinjaDeathSlap:

Glasgow:
Two female characters.
Tell me what you think.

Is there much of a difference here? She was sent to 'exile' so she won't interfre with their plans, and Venture accepted her as a warden. She feels betrayed but she can't go rogue because she sees this warden position as serving her country in a way, bit she's still bitter as hell.

Ok, that's fine. I just wasn't sure what you meant. You're good.

Viking Incognito:
Here are my characters

Interesting. I like it. :)

NinjaDeathSlap:
snip

Thanks. Can't wait to get started. But I have one more question. Judging by the name, are we to assume The Pit is laid out vertically like Butcher Bay from Chronicles of Riddick? What is the pysical layout of the prison.

Viking Incognito:

NinjaDeathSlap:
snip

Thanks. Can't wait to get started. But I have one more question. Judging by the name, are we to assume The Pit is laid out vertically like Butcher Bay from Chronicles of Riddick? What is the pysical layout of the prison.

I've never played butcher bay, so I wouldn't know. I'll provide a more detailed description in the user group once I've got that sorted. For now, I can tell you that The Pit is split into 4 distinct levels, including the surface. The further down you go, the worse the conditions are and the more chaotic it is. Warden presence gets thinner, gangs have more control, walls turn from steel and concrete to bare earth and ice, Inmate accommodation turns from organised and enclosed cells, to wherever you can find a dark corner to curl up and hope nobody will try and rob you (or worse) in your sleep.

NinjaDeathSlap:
For now, I can tell you that The Pit is split into 4 distinct levels, including the surface. The further down you go, the worse the conditions are and the more chaotic it is. Warden presence gets thinner, gangs have more control, walls turn from steel and concrete to bare earth and ice, Inmate accommodation turns from organised and enclosed cells, to wherever you can find a dark corner to curl up and hope nobody will try and rob you (or worse) in your sleep.

So would people be separated into these levels by the Wardens? Or would it be like survival and you fight to stay in one place?

ProtoChimp:

NinjaDeathSlap:
For now, I can tell you that The Pit is split into 4 distinct levels, including the surface. The further down you go, the worse the conditions are and the more chaotic it is. Warden presence gets thinner, gangs have more control, walls turn from steel and concrete to bare earth and ice, Inmate accommodation turns from organised and enclosed cells, to wherever you can find a dark corner to curl up and hope nobody will try and rob you (or worse) in your sleep.

So would people be separated into these levels by the Wardens? Or would it be like survival and you fight to stay in one place?

A bit of both, but mostly the second. All Venture wants is for the raw materials to get from The Pit up to the surface, but beyond that they don't much care. Excavation, refining and sorting are left up to the Inmates pretty much, so in theory you can go where you want and do what you want (so long as at the end of the day you're useful enough to be worth feeding). However, most people are forced to join up with gangs for protection, because if you try and make your way on your own more often than not somebody bigger and with more friends will steal your goods and take your share. However, being under the protection of a gang means that you have to go where they send you and do what they tell you, or you're of no use to them.

Some people can get by without having to do any work for Venture, but only if they're useful in other ways. For example, a gang isn't going to send its only doctor or its best enforcer to go and drill for gas, as that's not where they're most useful and they're too valuable to risk getting killed in a cave in or a gas explosion.

Edit: I'm mostly looking for characters who have other roles to play than just manual labour, as I don't want the story to get bogged down in that side of it.

NinjaDeathSlap:

ProtoChimp:

NinjaDeathSlap:

A bit of both, but mostly the second. All Venture wants is for the raw materials to get from The Pit up to the surface, but beyond that they don't much care. Excavation, refining and sorting are left up to the Inmates pretty much, so in theory you can go where you want and do what you want (so long as at the end of the day you're useful enough to be worth feeding). However, most people are forced to join up with gangs for protection, because if you try and make your way on your own more often than not somebody bigger and with more friends will steal your goods and take your share. However, being under the protection of a gang means that you have to go where they send you and do what they tell you, or you're of no use to them.

Some people can get by without having to do any work for Venture, but only if they're useful in other ways. For example, a gang isn't going to send its only doctor or its best enforcer to go and drill for gas, as that's not where they're most useful and they're too valuable to risk getting killed in a cave in or a gas explosion.

Edit: I'm mostly looking for characters who have other roles to play than just manual labour, as I don't want the story to get bogged down in that side of it.

I'm thinking that Lucia, having limited medical experience and not being tied to and gangs, would likely work the mines for a few hours a day and bring a long a medical kit to help anyone who has fallen prey to an accident and needs immediate medical assistance.

Edit: She'd probably spend most of her time running a small clinic out of Orphan's "cell".

Fappy:

NinjaDeathSlap:

I'm thinking that Lucia, having limited medical experience and not being tied to and gangs, would likely work the mines for a few hours a day and bring a long a medical kit to help anyone who has fallen prey to an accident and needs immediate medical assistance.

Edit: She'd probably spend most of her time running a small clinic out of Orphan's "cell".

Should I make another character to even things out since we all seem to look like manual labour?

ProtoChimp:

Fappy:

NinjaDeathSlap:

Should I make another character to even things out since we all seem to look like manual labour?

If a good character idea comes to you go for it, but don't make one simply because we lack occupational variety :P

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked