The Goldmar Incident: A Superhero Role-Play { Accepting Applicants via PM }

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

The Goldmar Incident

A Superhero Role-Play

It is May 2013. The city of Silverhollow is just one of many modern cities in the United States of America. Life is pleasant, for the most part, with many people making their homes and livings here. It is a rather idyllic place, very quiet. Trouble in the local news has mostly been coverage of the turfwar in the Brightfields district.

Recently, however, weird reports are on the news, both in Silverhollow and other parts of the USA and the world. People have been caught on camera performing highly unusual stunts, or wielding bizarre... powers, people want to call them, in fights that are breaking out or other public displays. Some claim to have seen people vanish in the blink of an eye and a flash of light, or ignore the laws of gravity and take flight unaided.

The questions on the minds of many are: Are superheroes and supervillains, previously thought confined to movies and comics, becoming real-life occurrences? Do they walk among us, hiding their true nature behind secret identities? And what can be done to keep these people in check? What are governments doing to regulate them?

In answer to the latter two, the world's governments are looking to ways to adapt to the rise of these strange and troubling people. But the variability of powers means it is difficult to provide regulations for all 'supers' or 'gifted', as the media has begun calling them.

But even with the advent of superpowers, life as normal goes on for ordinary citizens, like yourself. You are a resident of Silverhollow: a student attending Goldmar University. However, your life, and the lives of your peers, is about to take an unexpected turn...

Author's Notes: Please Read
- Welcome to The Goldmar Incident. I am your GM: my co-GMs are RatRace123 and Pm0n3y.
- This role-play differs from your usual superhero thread in one major way: in most other threads, the player-characters already have their powers at the start of the in-character events. Here, they do not. They will be given randomly-generated powers during the prologue. We want to explore what happens once they gain their powers and begin learning to control them: their origin stories, if you will.
- As stated in the opening paragraphs, all of the player-characters will be in the same place, Goldmar University, during the course of the prologue. This is in order to facilitate the event that gives everyone their powers.

The character sheet template is rather short, since there is no Powers section, but that will be remedied once powers have been determined. After all, these are meant to be normal people... for now.
When the time comes, the superpowers of each accepted character will be edited into the appropriate sheet.

Note About Character Sheets: When writing a character sheet, please remember that your character does not possess any powers at the beginning of the role-play, and they should certainly not be aware that they will be gaining powers. To reiterate, they will be given their powers during the prologue.

I am looking to accept a reasonable number of characters, while keeping the number at a state where the chance of two characters with the exact same powers is reasonably low. Anywhere between eight and ten characters, including those belonging to the GM and co-GM, will be accepted. Accepted applicants will have time to discuss sharing a background, or part thereof, with other applicants.

After the player-characters gain their powers and begin learning to control them, the writer behind each character may add a Powers section to their character sheet, detailing the character's power or powers and preferences when using them.

Accepted Characters:

The fact that there is a chance I could randomly end up with the exact same powers as my character from another superhero RP is awesome and hilarious. Expect a sheet in the near future. (Saturday at the latest).

Sneaking this up while I'm out drinking? Counter, you silly bugger. I'll be having something up either by the time I sober up or after.

Well, this certainly seems interesting. Let's see what I can cook up this late at night.

EDIT:I didn't know whether or not I should have added a reaction to the "superpower flu" going around. When I was thinking it out I just settled on an unspoken awareness to the general idea of what's going on. However, for obvious reasons, Richard just doesn't care at the moment.

Looks pretty neat. I'll be wrapped up with work until Friday night, but I'll try to get a sheet out ASAP.

And tell me if I messed up.

EDIT: Changed personality, and a few other things.

Here's my guy!

EDIT: In the event that you don't get as many female characters as you want I'd be perfectly willing to make a chick instead. Just let me know.

EDIT EDIT: The female character!

Starting to see a trend here...

EmperorZuma:

The characters seem pretty different to me >.>

Fappy:

EmperorZuma:

Really? Eh, could be just me, but all the characters seem to have a sort of "strong/damaged silent type" ring to them. Might just be me seeing stuff that isn't there, up to CounterAttack I guess.

EmperorZuma:

Fappy:

EmperorZuma:

Really? Eh, could be just me, but all the characters seem to have a sort of "strong/damaged silent type" ring to me. Might just be me seeing stuff that isn't there, up to CounterAttack I guess.

I can see the quiet type, but my character is by no stretch of the imagination "strong". Physically or mentally XD

I kind of wanted to take an archetypal comic character concept to the extreme while also having him evolve in a completely different way.

Fappy:

EmperorZuma:
Really? Eh, could be just me, but all the characters seem to have a sort of "strong/damaged silent type" ring to me. Might just be me seeing stuff that isn't there, up to CounterAttack I guess.

I can see the quiet type, but my character is by no stretch of the imagination "strong". Physically or mentally XD

I kind of wanted to take an archetypal comic character concept to the extreme while also having him evolve in a completely different way.

I'm not exactly looking for characters who are the "strong/damaged silent type" as Zuma put it. Most of the time, I'm looking for characters who are well-adjusted, more or less normal people. If they happen to lean towards certain inclinations, such as Fappy's comic-book nerd, that's perfectly fine.

CounterAttack:

Fappy:

EmperorZuma:

I'm not exactly looking for characters who are the "strong/damaged silent type" as Zuma put it. Most of the time, I'm looking for characters who are well-adjusted, more or less normal people. If they happen to lean towards certain inclinations, such as Fappy's comic-book nerd, that's perfectly fine.

So does that mean Arnold is fine or is he too... weird? There really isn't anything remarkable or out of the ordinary about him. When it comes down to it he just has social issues.

Maybe I'm pushing "normal college student" a little bit, but this is what popped into my head. If it's not what you're looking for, let me know and I could make something different.

CounterAttack:

Fappy:

EmperorZuma:

Wait, now this confuses me, you say here that you're looking for mostly "normal" people, yet you say that you're looking for a variety of people in your RP notes section. Subjective perspectives aside, I'm getting mixed signals.

EmperorZuma:

Wait, now this confuses me, you say here that you're looking for mostly "normal" people, yet you say that you're looking for a variety of people in your RP notes section. Subjective perspectives aside, I'm getting mixed signals.

I think what he means is people who would realistically be found attending a university class, rather than say 35 year old undercover cops, or people with lineage or backstories that would be considered outlandish and would not lend themselves properly to the situation at hand.

NeoAC:

EmperorZuma:

I think what he means is people who would realistically be found attending a university class, rather than say 35 year old undercover cops, or people with lineage or backstories that would be considered outlandish and would not lend themselves properly to the situation at hand.

Neo is correct. I'm looking for your average university student, but I don't want everyone to be the same in terms of looks, personality, general interests, that sort of thing.

CounterAttack:

Neo is correct. I'm looking for your average university student, but I don't want everyone to be the same in terms of looks, personality, general interests, that sort of thing.

Ok, then would a personality edit be sufficient, not drasitcally changing the character, but to make his traits clearer? Because my intent wasn't to make Richard a stiff that would only give gruff replies to anyone/anything, but rather a person who is in a precarious spot, not wanting to ruin his reputation after having it soiled somewhere else.

Or, should I just make a new character to replace him?

EmperorZuma:
Ok, then would a personality edit be sufficient, not drastically changing the character, but to make his traits clearer? Because my intent wasn't to make Richard a stiff that would only give gruff replies to anyone/anything, but rather a person who is in a precarious spot, not wanting to ruin his reputation after having it soiled somewhere else.

Or, should I just make a new character to replace him?

That's entirely your call. Your character is worthy of consideration as it is, but if you want to change things or start afresh I won't stop you.

CounterAttack:

NeoAC:

EmperorZuma:

Sounds fair. If I continue to see male characters submitted I'll go ahead and submit my idea for a female character and let you decide which you'd think would fit the story best.

CounterAttack:

That's entirely your call. Your character is worthy of consideration as it is, but if you want to change things or start afresh I won't stop you.

Oh, well now I just feel silly, as that's what I thought I was fighting for. I'll leave the sheet as is then, case already made and all that jazz. If you excuse me I'll just slink away and silently stare intently at the thread.

Here's my character, let me know if anything needs changing.

EmperorZuma:

I'm interested; I'll have something for you soon.

Female character! Let me know which you want me to play!

Oh man, this is both awesome and scary for me at the same time. As soon as I read a handful of the OP, I immediately had the idea for a Ted Bundy meets Sylar-esque antagonist/protagonist with the ability for him to split his arms up General Grievous-style, and masquerades with the main heroes while secretly killing people in the background. Then I read the rest of the OP, learned that powers are random, and then came to the sudden realization that no rational GM would let me play that role, instead delegating it to an NPC.

Anyway, if I have any other ideas that are rational and sane I'll post again. Let me know if NotTedBundy is possible, though, as I'm really interested in that.

I figured a super outgoing person would be cool, even if he is a bit of a jerk.

This looks rad as hell! Let's see if I can get in.

Ah, it seems really short in comparison to yours. If you need me to make it longer or anything, lemme know.

So there are some things I really enjoy about the premise here, but wanted to ask a question or two if possible.

First, are there any particular distinguishing traits between the three gangs?

Second, is Goldmar University a university of anything in particular? Or does it pretty much allow for majoring in anything? Art, criminology, underwater basket weaving?

Fishtie:
So there are some things I really enjoy about the premise here, but wanted to ask a question or two if possible.

First, are there any particular distinguishing traits between the three gangs?

Second, is Goldmar University a university of anything in particular? Or does it pretty much allow for majoring in anything? Art, criminology, underwater basket weaving?

Damn, those are really good questions and I wish I'd asked so I could put more stuff in about the gangs on my character bio. Way to be smart.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked