The Goldmar Incident: A Superhero Role-Play { Accepting Applicants via PM }

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Fishtie:
First, are there any particular distinguishing traits between the three gangs?

Each of the three has certain characteristics to it:
- The Burning Brands, or the Brands for short, all possess the gang emblem somewhere on their skin, either as a tattoo or applied by a branding iron as an 'initiation ceremony'. Some of the Brands take the name literally, using homemade - and often unreliable - flamethrowers or flaming torches in fights.
- The Titans are the most violent of the three; they are often the ones starting a fight. They're into extortion rackets and "protection schemes", often shaking down businesses and residences for money. A fair few of the Titans are enormous bruisers who wade into a group of their rivals and start a fistfight.
- The Watchers will often use the lumbering brute strength of the Titans to their advantage. Some claim they have influenced members of the other two gangs to turn traitor, spying on the Watchers' enemies. The Watchers are the best-equipped of the three to last long in a firefight, simply by virtue of having stolen the best guns. The Watchers' gang colours are black, dark purple and silver.

Second, is Goldmar University a university of anything in particular? Or does it pretty much allow for majoring in anything? Art, criminology, underwater basket weaving?

It allows for pretty much anything, within reason.

I'll throw something up as soon as I can.

CounterAttack:

Fishtie:

- The Burning Brands, or the Brands for short, all possess the gang emblem somewhere on their skin, either as a tattoo or applied by a branding iron as an 'initiation ceremony'. Some of the Brands take the name literally, using homemade - and often unreliable - flamethrowers or flaming torches in fights.
- The Titans are the most violent of the three; they are often the ones starting a fight. They're into extortion rackets and "protection schemes", often shaking down businesses and residences for money. A fair few of the Titans are enormous bruisers who wade into a group of their rivals and start a fistfight.
- The Watchers will often use the lumbering brute strength of the Titans to their advantage. Some claim they have influenced members of the other two gangs to turn traitor, spying on the Watchers' enemies. The Watchers are the best-equipped of the three to last long in a firefight, simply by virtue of having stolen the best guns. The Watchers' gang colours are black, dark purple and silver.

Second, is Goldmar University a university of anything in particular? Or does it pretty much allow for majoring in anything? Art, criminology, underwater basket weaving?

It allows for pretty much anything, within reason.

Do any of them have supers in them?

drmigit2:
Do any of them have supers in them?

Sorry, but that may be relevant to the plot, so I probably shouldn't spoil it.

CounterAttack:

Fishtie:

How old are the three gangs? What are the colors of the other two?

Belmarc:

The three sides have been around for a long while, each tolerating the presence of the others, but have only been engaged in their turfwar for the past five and a half years. If there was a reason for it starting, no-one involved remembers it. The turfwar doesn't look like it's about to stop any time soon even with the SHPD attempting to contain it.

The colours of the Burning Brands are red, white and gold, while the Titans wear no specific colour of clothing. Instead they wear bandannas tied around their heads and upper arms. The colour of the bandanna shows the gang member's rank: white for new members; green for experienced, trusted fighters; and grey for the Titans' inner circle and elites.

CounterAttack:

Belmarc:

The three sides have been around for a long while, each tolerating the presence of the others, but have only been engaged in their turfwar for the past five and a half years. If there was a reason for it starting, no-one involved remembers it. The turfwar doesn't look like it's about to stop any time soon even with the SHPD attempting to contain it.

The colours of the Burning Brands are red, white and gold, while the Titans wear no specific colour of clothing. Instead they wear bandannas tied around their heads and upper arms. The colour of the bandanna shows the gang member's rank: white for new members; green for experienced, trusted fighters; and grey for the Titans' inner circle and elites.

This requires editing... and a choice. Thanks a lot for answering those questions, though! It was really helpful, and hopefully my idea fits in alright.

seems neat, and I'm a sucker for super powers so here you go

here's hoping for power sets that won't scare the bird

CounterAttack:
Questions

1.While I'm tempted to make a sheet, can we have our PC slowly develop into a Super-Villain? I.E. Rather then fighting the Gangs or saving people, He finds that a life of crime might be more profitable, Maybe bring in some conflict with the rest of our merry band?

2. is Skype REALLY needed to get in? Just I personally can't stand opening it up and waiting for it to load 10000 Instant Messages and the last time I used it in a RP, we never got anything done due to the constant stream of IM.
That and I don't trust that program after it re-installed itself on it's own onto my laptop once.

As a possible counter, I am online most hours and I WILL read any and all messages you send to me, This includes the rest of the group.

3. You have a set limit on how long posts can be? Just I see some RP's and the amount of text in them is MINDBLOWING.
Just a comparison:

Just I don't want to be considered "That Guy" when my posts are only 1/4 the size of everyone elses, While I have been Rping for a year now, I'm still not the level as some of the other "Pros" on this site.

Diablo1099:
While I have been Rping for a year now, I'm still not the level as some of the other "Pros" on this site.

Heh, well isn't this a little embarrassing? Thanks for the compliment, but I'm about as far from a "Pro" as you can possibly get. In all seriousness, that post really isn't that long, especially not when compared to the work of some of the other RPers hanging around these parts. You and me, we've both got a long way to go.

In other news, the premise for this RP strikes me as quite the intriguing idea. My sheet isn't done quite yet, but odds are I'll have it up sometime this weekend.

Pappytech:
Heh, well isn't this a little embarrassing? Thanks for the compliment, but I'm about as far from a "Pro" as you can possibly get. In all seriousness, that post really isn't that long, especially not when compared to the work of some of the other RPers hanging around these parts. You and me, we've both got a long way to go.

In other news, the premise for this RP strikes me as quite the intriguing idea. My sheet isn't done quite yet, but odds are I'll have it up sometime this weekend.

Don't sell yourself short, I mean, Damn, That post is more then I put up in an entire page! D:

Just don't want to be the annoying kid, you know?
Now to pray I'm allowed in without Skype...

Diablo1099:
snip

You have the flawed belief that something is automatically better just because it has more words.

I don't know if I'll stick around. Superheroes were never my thing, and the random abilities mechanic means you might not be able to actualize a concept you have / be given something incongruent to the character. It's a valid style, but I'm more the camp that players should be given as much control over themselves as possible.

Diablo1099:

Pappytech:

Don't sell yourself short, I mean, Damn, That post is more then I put up in an entire page! D:

Don't be so down on yourself, you've Gmed more succesful RPs than I have, and I've been here for years.

Diablo1099:

Diablo you know you can turn off notifications in Skype, right? If you go Conversation, then Notification settings, You can turn them off and then you won't have that thing saying there are a 1000 messages when you get back on.

And on Skype, personally I've found it to be a valuable tool for coordinating things with other writers, and it keeps the thread clear of OOC posts.

Asclepion: Just still, the level of detail others put in might make me look like a noob >_<

Viking: Thanks, just still, I look at some of these guys and I'm like "I'm WAYYYYYYYYYY out of my league..."

NeoAC: Well, it's not just that, though thanks for the tip.
See, Internet in the West of Ireland is VERY unfriendly to IM or other realtime stuff like live-streams.
On top of annoying me when ever I turned on my laptop, It shorted out a lot, Thanks to the Internet, and I still don't trust it after that time it installed itself.
Keep in mind this was a few months AFTER I last un-installed it, then it just waltzed in and made itself at home.
While I get where you are coming from on the OOC angle, I'm still not comfortable with that program and I find it to be too much hassle.
Besides, PM's and group chat aren't as affected by my internet shorting out.

Counter: Now, if you choose to exclude me based off my lack of Skype, I'll understand.

Also, Invisible Snips FTW.

Diablo1099:

Going to have to echo Asclepion here: Quantity != Quality. Hell, sometimes a short and sweet post is infinitely more effective than just rambling on for a few thousand words. And like Viking said, if you've already had success then there's no reason to be so down on yourself.

@Diablo: Again, easy fix for that. You can disable Skype from opening right from the get go by going Tools > Options > General Settings. As for it re-installing itself, I'm going to guess that happened when Microsoft bought Skype and started forcefully integrating it into Windows as a replacement for MSN Messenger. I already hate fucking Windows Update and if it did that, then I can understand why you'd be weary of it. But guarentee that's on Windows end, not Skype itself.

As for the internet problems, I get that, having put up with shit net in the sticks for a while before. In the end it is up to you, but I just think it's so much easier to do things in real time rather than wait for days to get a response.

Also, pretty sure the post limit thing is on the other end of the spectrum. Long posts are great. Two line posts are not.

Pappytech: "Success" is a strong word, my past RP's were Pokemon Solo, The Rise of Villainy Series and a failed attempt at a Resident Evil RP, and I still consider myself to get around Mid-Tier in Rping (If that makes any sense)

NeoAC: Really!? Shit and here was me being paranoid this whole time for nothing! Still, we use Group and PM's in the Avatar Adventure and get along just fine.
Besides, when you have a constant feedback from friends, It makes prying myself from the Internet that much harder, at least with PM's and such I can take a break and do something else.

Anyway, Enough cluttering the thread, I'll just wait for Counter's response on the Skype Issue.

@Diablo:

Re: Skype: If you get accepted, and you don't have or don't want to use Skype, there is a very high chance that you will miss out on potentially important discussions. I find it far more effective to use a Skype group than an Escapist usergroup or private messaging: arguments, questions and debates can be resolved in a much shorter span of time.

Re: Supervillain: I'm going to have to say no to this, for reasons related to the plot. May I inquire as to why you asked this particular question?

Re: Post Length: As Neo said, it's a restriction on the minimum length of one's posts. There is no maximum length: that would be highly damaging to the thread's overall quality, and entirely against my personal standards of writing.

@CounterAttack:

RE: Skype: Well...Shit...Ain't much point then is there? Right, I'll have to withdraw my interest, Just fucking Skype, always screwing me over -_-"

Well, Best of luck in your RP.

As for the (Now Moot) Supervillain question, if I was lucky enough to get both Magnetic Power and a Healing Factor, my PC would put two plus two together: Magneto but nigh unkillable.
He'd let it go to this head and this would bring him into conflict with the others, Think Daniel from Chronicle where he starts fucking people up while trying to pay for this mother's bills.
Minus the Mother.

You can still be killed if you have Healing Factor. There are things that I simply won't allow the power to work on, like regeneration of a severed limb or bouncing back to full health after taking a round through the head. It's basic logical limitations, to avoid it becoming over-powered.

CounterAttack:
Re: Supervillain: I'm going to have to say no to this, for reasons related to the plot. May I inquire as to why you asked this particular question?

Aww, man, I really wanted to do the Ted Bundy take on superheroing. Is this a definite rule, or are we permitted to be part-time serial killers?

I'm sill working on a sheet, by the way.

deathbydeath:
Aww, man, I really wanted to do the Ted Bundy take on superheroing. Is this a definite rule, or are we permitted to be part-time serial killers?

This is a definite rule, for reasons that will be explained over the course of the thread.

You guys are asking a lot of questions that I can't answer for spoiler reasons.

CounterAttack:

deathbydeath:

This is a definite rule, for reasons that will be explained over the course of the thread.

You guys are asking a lot of questions that I can't answer for spoiler reasons.

Wow, that ruins more than you would expect in my character sheet, thanks :P.

Will this rule be lifted after a certain part of the story, or will we have to be heroes all day, every day?

deathbydeath:
Wow, that ruins more than you would expect in my character sheet, thanks :P.

Will this rule be lifted after a certain part of the story, or will we have to be heroes all day, every day?

That is a... difficult question to answer, with the basic outline of the plot that I've already set up. I'm not looking for people to be already inclined towards being a hero or villain: I want more or less normal/neutral characters right now.

@CounterAttack: Will we be allowed to at least be involved with the gangs, especially for backstory and internal conflict? I had been hoping to have my character be involved with the Brands in the past, even carrying the mark, but torn between his current life and the pressure of his old loyalties.

@Belmarc: That's fine by me, as long as it's kept to the backstory for now.

CounterAttack:
I'm not looking for people to be already inclined towards being a hero or villain: I want more or less normal/neutral characters right now.

Well, I'm screwed then. My plan for the character I'm rolling (Timothy Medina) was for him to be a irritable, pretentious, introverted douchecanoe, and because of that, the only option that made any real sense would be villainy. In doing so, though, I wanted to kick him down that route with a few character moments so that I could dissect the (false?) dichotomy of heroes and villains.

The more I think about it, the more I feel I may actually just want to go ahead and say I am playing Noel instead of Arnold. I have more ideas for her and I think she'd do more to compliment the other characters submitted so far.

Fappy:
The more I think about it, the more I feel I may actually just want to go ahead and say I am playing Noel instead of Arnold. I have more ideas for her and I think she'd do more to compliment the other characters submitted so far.

Works for me, dude. I was planning on considering both of them equally and then choosing one or the other. =)

@CounterAttack: While we're all talking about sheets, is there anything about Adam that needs changing or doesn't fit with the city/game world?

CounterAttack:

Fappy:

Works for me, dude. I was planning on considering both of them equally and then choosing one or the other. =)

I really liked the idea behind Arnold, but the problem with him is that he'd be too reliant on other characters to push and motivate him early on. Noel's is a woman of action and would suffer no such complications :D

-withdrawn-

Hows my sheet? it ok? need to alter anything?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked