The New Blades {Skyrim RP Interest Thread}

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

The New Blades: A Skyrim RP

Skyrim is in shambles. The dragon menace, Alduin, has been banished by a mysterious dragonborn, but his kin still remain, ravaging the countryside. A civil war still rages across the province, the Stormcloaks slowly but surely gaining over the forces of the Empire. The Companions are in the midst of an upheaval, with almost all of the Circle abandoning the lycanthropy that has defined them for centuries. The College remains mostly undisturbed, saved a few momentous visits from the Dragonborn. Riften's Thieves Guild has regained its foothold in the land, though their influence is preferable to the petty bandits who'd replaced them, and the notorious Dark Brotherhood has struck the very heart of the Empire: the Emperor himself. There are whispers that the Dragonborn himself is behind both the Thieves Guild and the Dark Brotherhood's returns to power.
And in the midst of it all, thriving off the chaos and destruction: the Blades. With the Dragonborn mostly absent, and Delphine slain by the Thalmor, Esbern has taken control of recruiting new blood to do battle with the remaining dragons and with the Thalmor, when needed.

Which is where you come in. You've been recruited into the Blades, issued a set of Blades armor and a katana. Esbern has yet to speak with any of you, however, and you don't know the specifics of your new job yet. A vague sense of... Unease? Nervousness? Excitement? Whatever it is, permeates the air in Skyhaven Temple, deep in the heart of the Reach.
______________________________________________________________________________________________
Hello and welcome to "The New Blades"! This is an RP revolving around Skyrim after the dragon invasion, when the dragons can be permanently killed by humans, and the rise of the Blades after the Dragonborn helped them.

Your role will be as a new recruit in the Blades, working to fight the dragons, undermine the Thalmor, and engage in espionage. In short: whatever the Blades need you to do, you're expected to do.

You are the second wave of new recruits, so there are roughly thirty people in the organization, not counting your group. Esbern currently heads the group, though most practical matters, such as equipment and training, are delegated to newer members.

Your gm in this venture is myself, accompanied by SamtheDeathclaw, who will be serving as co-gm. Any question you have can be directed at either of us.

______________________________________________________________________________________________
Without further ado...

Well, I'm co-gm. Not a whole lot more to say, I guess.

Hopefully this answers most of your questions about the RP's setup, but if not, feel free to ask.

PrinceOfShapeir:
snip

I certainly like it, though I think we would prefer it if she was an ex spy, as it would be easier to keep track of her that way.

PrinceOfShapeir:
snip

Ignore ruedyn. I like it, and I see how I think it would work.
However, would you mind explaining for us what you want your character to be doing in the rp? I don't want to say, "You can't do that." but some things wouldn't really work in structure of the rp. I wouldn't think you'd be expecting your character to be treated like a rookie and sent on regular missions, but that will be the main focus of the rp.
So just give us a better idea of what you're expecting, and we'll work it out!

This looks really really interesting... any particular advice on the kind of character that would work best for this kind of RP?

Belmarc:
This looks really really interesting... any particular advice on the kind of character that would work best for this kind of RP?

Uh, pretty much anything. The Blades recruit from all walks of life, and pretty much anyone who catches as agent's eye will be recruited.
As for actual game-wise? Uh, you're probably not going to be selling a lot of stuff, so building a merchant probably won't work out great. Besides that, all of the skills would be useful in one way or another.
I hope that gave you what you needed? I realize I'm not a lot of help. :|

Redryhno:
snip

Looks good to me!
But I must ask. So he doesn't wear pants?
I'm just curious. You never describe any, and the fellow in the picture certainly isn't. :|
EDIT: Oops, nevermind. Read it again, and I see it. OOPS.

SamtheDeathclaw:

Uh, pretty much anything. The Blades recruit from all walks of life, and pretty much anyone who catches as agent's eye will be recruited.
As for actual game-wise? Uh, you're probably not going to be selling a lot of stuff, so building a merchant probably won't work out great. Besides that, all of the skills would be useful in one way or another.
I hope that gave you what you needed? I realize I'm not a lot of help. :|

For example, I like to play Stealth in The Elder Scrolls. However... stealth isn't that helpful when it comes to fighting dragons. I think I might know what I am going to do instead though, so it shouldn't be too big of a deal.

While she's a trained warrior and has been a Blade for a considerable amount of time, most of her work has been cloak and dagger with little direct work with other agents of the Blades. I don't see why she wouldn't be sent on regular missions, you yourself said they'd involve spying and undermining the Thalmor as well as dealing with Dragons. She's more suited to the first two, but the Dragons are a threat to everything and everyone, and she's skilled enough with her bow that she'd be a genuine asset to those efforts as well. Considering that the Thalmor seem to operate with little oversight, I doubt much notice would be taken if she's a long time between reporting to her supposed Masters among the Dominion.

PrinceOfShapeir:
While she's a trained warrior and has been a Blade for a considerable amount of time, most of her work has been cloak and dagger with little direct work with other agents of the Blades.

That's what I mean. This will be a largely squad-based rp.
But if you want her to be sent on regular missions with the rest of the gang, that's a-okay too. I was just making sure there wouldn't be any problems.

Belmarc:
For example, I like to play Stealth in The Elder Scrolls. However... stealth isn't that helpful when it comes to fighting dragons. I think I might know what I am going to do instead though, so it shouldn't be too big of a deal.

Which is why fighting dragons isn't everything. And even the dragon-related missions aren't always going to be fighting dragons, as I have it planned right now.

So pretty much any character build would work fine.

This sounds very awesome. I haven't played Skyrim in a while, but I'm always open to a new adventure in the TES universe.

I'll write the bio at a later date (it's getting late), but that's all the other sections filled out.

TheBlueShotgun0:
snip

I would like to point out the fireball spell requires A LOT of magicka to use, so perhaps he could have a lower level spell instead?

This looks fun, I'll try it. Please give feedback on the character as i am going to try something not in the games yet.

Son of Songhai:
snip

All characters are meant to be Blade recruits, not just in Skyrim. Please add in a section where he gets recruited, and why.

Not trying to come off as an asshole by the way...

I'm still interested, just haven't come up with a bio yet. Still need to decide on stupid things like race...

Belmarc:
I'm still interested, just haven't come up with a bio yet. Still need to decide on stupid things like race...

I hear Imperial makes a really good default >_>

=P

ruedyn:
Race: Feel free to choose from most anything, as long as you can get it to fit with the bio. *Exception: No dragons. None. The Blades don't work with dragons. Besides that, pretty much free reign.

I'm very tempted to make a guar character but that wouldn't really work out.

Hmm. While I'm interested, I'm also conflicted about doing this in a TESV timeline. Can we opt to do largely non-dragon related things, as I really didn't like that part of the story. Honestly, I didn't like any of the story that happens when you boot up the game.

Cybele:

ruedyn:
Race: Feel free to choose from most anything, as long as you can get it to fit with the bio. *Exception: No dragons. None. The Blades don't work with dragons. Besides that, pretty much free reign.

I'm very tempted to make a guar character but that wouldn't really work out.

"as long as you can get it to fit with the bio."
If you manage to write a sheet that convincingly explains why a guar would be in the Blades, you would be more than welcome to.
Alas, I doubt it would be possible. :P
Try something at least sentient!

deathbydeath:
Can we opt to do largely non-dragon related things[?]

Probably, but not entirely. If you want nothing to do with the dragons, rue and I probably won't assign you a mission to go hunt dragons. But that's no promise that another player won't ask you to come along to hunt some with them.
(Yeah, I was pretty iffy about the Blades thing at first too, but I think it'll be fun, dragons and all.)

SamtheDeathclaw:

deathbydeath:
Can we opt to do largely non-dragon related things[?]

Probably, but not entirely. If you want nothing to do with the dragons, rue and I probably won't assign you a mission to go hunt dragons. But that's no promise that another player won't ask you to come along to hunt some with them.
(Yeah, I was pretty iffy about the Blades thing at first too, but I think it'll be fun, dragons and all.)

Upon actually writing a sheet, I'm actually getting more and more comfortable with the idea of this RP, dragons or not. Speaking preparing a character sheet, I've got all of the ideas fleshed out and am currently translating that into .txt right now. Prepare to meet the least manliest Orc ever.

EDIT: I've already written this in the sheet, and I've got a fair amount of explanations on paper, but is it possible for a character to build a set of armor originating from a third-party mod, specifically this one?

deathbydeath:

EDIT: I've already written this in the sheet, and I've got a fair amount of explanations on paper, but is it possible for a character to build a set of armor originating from a third-party mod, specifically this one?

Sounds good!

Mods in general? Sure, within reason. That one in particular? Uh, maybe. I'd want to see your explanation for how he got it before saying yes or no.
Probably not going to allow the powered variant, and aetherium in general will be a touchy thing to have involved, without pretty good rationale behind how he came by it, since the Aetherium Forge hasn't been since the dwarves had it.

So: I'd want to see the sheet before saying either way, and I don't even have the final say.

SamtheDeathclaw:

deathbydeath:

Sounds good!

Mods in general? Sure, within reason. That one in particular? Uh, maybe. I'd want to see your explanation for how he got it before saying yes or no.
Probably not going to allow the powered variant, and aetherium in general will be a touchy thing to have involved, without pretty good rationale behind how he came by it, since the Aetherium Forge hasn't been since the dwarves had it.

So: I'd want to see the sheet before saying either way, and I don't even have the final say.

The armor part of the mod doesn't require Dawnguard/the Aetherium forge, and my rationale behind the set was that it was his own personal project that he designed by compiling information from both Dwemer and contemporary scholars. It won't be done when the game starts, and it'll probably only be available in the endgame (possibly mid-game, depending on events that happen), and it's largely to offset his severe lack of martial skills. Even then, the armor would mostly act as a magicka reservoir that could easily Umbra could easily burn himself out with if he's not careful. More details as to it's practical effects later, when I've got the actual role he'll act as in the party confirmed.

If you want him to have a magicka reserve, why not just a supply of Welkynd Stones?

deathbydeath:
More details as to it's practical effects later, when I've got the actual role he'll act as in the party confirmed.

Alright. I don't see any immediate, glaring problems with that I suppose. Though I can't give you definite confirmation without seeing exactly what you mean, and how it fits with the character and so forth.

However, as to the mod. Well.

================================================================
Aetherium Armor and Weapons Compilation - REQUIRES DAWNGUARD

:P
But I assume you mean the "Dwarven Power Armor" mod, not the actual Aetherium armor?

SamtheDeathclaw:
Alright. I don't see any immediate, glaring problems with that I suppose. Though I can't give you definite confirmation without seeing exactly what you mean, and how it fits with the character and so forth.

But I assume you mean the "Dwarven Power Armor" mod, not the actual Aetherium armor?

2nd statement: Yes, I just got the armor mod before he combined it with the Dawnguard-only weapon mod. Edit: Oh yeah, crafting the armor requires the "Ancient Knowledge" perk from a quest in which you go Dwarven Dungeon Diving to get the Dwarven Lexicon, which I'm assuming Umbra has right now.

PrinceOfShapeir:
If you want him to have a magicka reserve, why not just a supply of Welkynd Stones?

The power armor is more efficient and interesting. And the magicka reserve is really only for if he becomes the party cleric. If he doesn't end up a mage, the armor would just turn him into a pack mule that's hard to kill.

PrinceOfShapeir:

Welkynd Stones are only going to carry someone so far, and seeing as they're kinda a Cyrodiil and Altmer Islands exclusive, I think, (don't quote me on this), he'd need hundreds to keep up with himself. Not to mention the pain of getting them over the mountains into Skyrim without losing them to bandits or "tax collectors". Of course, could just screw with the lore a little bit, and say he found a Varla Stone, and that once a day he can use the energy he stores inside it to fully replenish his magicka. Just an idea to everyone.

ruedyn:

Son of Songhai:
snip

All characters are meant to be Blade recruits, not just in Skyrim. Please add in a section where he gets recruited, and why.

Not trying to come off as an asshole by the way...

its cool :D let me tweek things a bit

The missing bits of the bio will more than likely come up while playing. If the Gms want i can send it to them in a message.

deathbydeath:

SamtheDeathclaw:

2nd statement: Yes, I just got the armor mod before he combined it with the Dawnguard-only weapon mod. Edit: Oh yeah, crafting the armor requires the "Ancient Knowledge" perk from a quest in which you go Dwarven Dungeon Diving to get the Dwarven Lexicon, which I'm assuming Umbra has right now.

PrinceOfShapeir:

The power armor is more efficient and interesting. And the magicka reserve is really only for if he becomes the party cleric. If he doesn't end up a mage, the armor would just turn him into a pack mule that's hard to kill.

It's Powered Armor, man. It's pretty lore-fucked, and plus it has a goddamn Cloaking Device. A character is not interesting because of neat loot they may have, particularly when the loot doesn't really fit the setting. Powered Armor has never been in an Elder Scrolls game outside of a mod, and even if it were this is like having your character wielding Goldbrand or Sunder and Keening.

PrinceOfShapeir:
It's Powered Armor, man. It's pretty lore-fucked, and plus it has a goddamn Cloaking Device. A character is not interesting because of neat loot they may have, particularly when the loot doesn't really fit the setting. Powered Armor has never been in an Elder Scrolls game outside of a mod, and even if it were this is like having your character wielding Goldbrand or Sunder and Keening.

I'm not going to translate it word-for-word, as that would be OP and not fit with the character I'm planning. Besides, don't assume that I'm relying on a piece of equipment that is being developed when the game starts and probably won't be done until the endgame as opposed to putting work into a character. Piece together what information I've dropped so far:

He's an Orc
He's neither manly nor a fighter
He's compiling theories that originated from ancient Dwemer philosophers
He might be a cleric/restoration mage

Here are some new ones:

His name is Umbra Rimph
He sides with the Imperials, but is against the Aldmeri Dominion and bears a grudge against them
He worships Trinimac instead of Malacath

I'll expand more upon the power armor in a separate entry when I also upload the character sheet, but it won't be that powerful and there will be lore-friendly explanations and theories for what it does..

Son of Songhai:
The missing bits of the bio will more than likely come up while playing. If the Gms want i can send it to them in a message.

Yeah, we kind of need that to make things happen. PM it to me, please.

Oh yeah, I'm also writing up theories as to how casting spells and enchanting works in TES as I could not find an explanation in the fluff, so if anyone else finds one, please tell me before I do too much work.

deathbydeath:
Oh yeah, I'm also writing up theories as to how casting spells and enchanting works in TES as I could not find an explanation in the fluff, so if anyone else finds one, please tell me before I do too much work.

I always thought of it as another muscle system, so spell would work like flexing in a way, it's more impressive the more you practice with it. Feel free to PM your theories though!

ruedyn:
Snippity snip snip

I'm very sorry that I haven't managed to write my character's bio yet. Homework, robotics, and other RP have taken up a lot of my time this week. I'll try to get it done on Friday, Saturday at the latest.

TheBlueShotgun0:

ruedyn:
Snippity snip snip

I'm very sorry that I haven't managed to write my character's bio yet. Homework, robotics, and other RP have taken up a lot of my time this week. I'll try to get it done on Friday, Saturday at the latest.

It's fine, take your time. I was hoping for 10 players, but we'll see on Saturday...

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here