The Last Best West - A Fallout Game in the Wild West

The Last Best West - A Fallout Game in the Wild West

This is a Fallout game with the spirit of the Wild West. From Indians to lawless bands of Great Khans, you have many problems to face in this new land, all the while the mainland NCR is being torn apart by a civil war. What will you do as a local and will you pick a side in the conflict?

This is based on the Fallout universe, and the following Fallout games and their official canon: Fallout 1, Fallout 2, and Fallout New Vegas. In the end of the game Fallout New Vegas, the courier decides to side with the NCR, and as a result they push the legion back past the Colorado River. The next three decades include massive campaigns of the NCR against the now weakened Legion, and with the death of their legendary leader, the Legion crumbled into various factions and groups that began to fight each other for domination. Staging a new border in the east, the NCR had found a new path to the north-east where new riches could be found. Vast opportunities awaited those colonists who came through the Rockies by the red road and settle there.

Escaping the ever growing power of the NCR, many settlers just wanted to grab a swath of land and live freely on their own. Others found business opportunities there, and some simply fled NCR law. Small settlements were placed all across the land. Caravans crossed those and some even went back to the NCR where they sold some of the local specialties - fur, metals and fuel. The colonists were mostly farmers, ranchers, trappers and miners. Some hunted the great Bison hordes, although that was mostly a native habit.

You're a local NCR colonist, living or passing through the small town of Packman's Post. The town is a known hot-spot for the fur and metal trade, where a large chunk of the merchandise passes through to the NCR. Many caravans move through this post, and the NCR even has a small presence there in the form of a recruitment office/post office/bank. The town has several hotels and inns. The BoS sometimes patrols the area and searches for special tech they could either buy from you or pry off your cold dead hands, your choice. The population numbers at nearly six hundred people, with a few nearby ranchers and farms being tied to the town.

The local sheriff together with the NCR representatives left the town to deal with an Indian assault of a caravan that came from the NCR. The caravan was devastated, and the only survivor from the defending forces was the sheriff. Having fled the scene, he returns to the town and deputizes you. He asks you to help him rescue prisoners from the natives which they took to their camp. You accept and join his posse.

I don't know if I was being too liberal with the New Vegas background, but I thought I would just post what I had and then make changes if it clashes with your canon.

EmperorZuma:

I don't know if I was being too liberal with the New Vegas background, but I thought I would just post what I had and then make changes if it clashes with your canon.

It fits the canon well enough. I kept the exact timeline vague so people won't have a hard time fitting all of the events together.

The character is just great. This is exactly how I hoped the character sheet will turn out, and adding the SPECIAL/perks/tag skills helps a lot. Your backstory is very good and I can't wait to see how this character will interact with its companions and the other factions in the Great Plains.

Now all we need is to start calling you "Doc".

Decided to go a completely different direction than the super genius we currently have.

Not G. Ivingname:

Decided to go a completely different direction than the super genius we currently have.

There would have been some lore issues had you not been 53... with that said, he must have met his wife at an early age (16-18) to have fit the timeline of the roleplay. Well played.

A few notes:
Your Strength 10 is important. With it you will be able to just bust doors open (depending on the door) and break people's wrists. However since you are rather old, I couldn't look at it as if you were a 20 year old. Your weapon load-out is also outrageously large, by since you have a STR 10 I can allow it. I do have to ask - what is he better with : His fists or a melee weapon? You described him with a STR 10, yet you chose melee weapons as your tagged skill. Could I say that you're not a very good fighter bare-handed, but you could cleave a head clean off with a butter knife?

Additionally, don't think that leaving a stat at 1 or 2, even if it's luck, won't cost you dearly in the future.
*evil laugh*

Glasgow:

Not G. Ivingname:

There would have been some lore issues had you not been 53... with that said, he must have met his wife at an early age (16-18) to have fit the timeline of the roleplay. Well played.

A few notes:
Your Strength 10 is important. With it you will be able to just bust doors open (depending on the door) and break people's wrists. However since you are rather old, I couldn't look at it as if you were a 20 year old. Your weapon load-out is also outrageously large, by since you have a STR 10 I can allow it. I do have to ask - what is he better with : His fists or a melee weapon? You described him with a STR 10, yet you chose melee weapons as your tagged skill. Could I say that you're not a very good fighter bare-handed, but you could cleave a head clean off with a butter knife?

Additionally, don't think that leaving a stat at 1 or 2, even if it's luck, won't cost you dearly in the future.
*evil laugh*

I had gone with melee weapons, since in fallout 3 and vegas, strength didn't modify unarmed combat, it is modified by Endurance, which is the lower of my two primary stats. I could make it unarmed if you think that was better, although I know in real world fighting, a man with even the smallest of weapons has a massive advantage over a man with just their fists. I also was picking the weapons more on what you would expect a farmer to have. I can remove the shotgun and the shovel if you want.

The luck issue I would happily take. Fits into my characters backstory, and makes things far more interesting. :D

Edit: OK, sheet edited back in. Constructive Criticism is always appreciated.
Edit 2: Corrected some spelling errors, and a previously uncorrected mistake.

Anti-American Eagle:

I'm still working on this, I should have it finished tomorrow.

That's a very uniqu-

A very interes-

A Mary Sue, I have to admit. You know how rare .45-.70 rounds are? The only current use of today are US Military LINE THROWING rounds, and some sporting use. The problem is that the thing arches badly after about 1000 yards: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:.45-70vs.308.svg

Not G. Ivingname:

A Mary Sue, I have to admit. You know how rare .45-.70 rounds are? The only current use of today are US Military LINE THROWING rounds, and some sporting use. The problem is that the thing arches badly after about 1000 yards: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:.45-70vs.308.svg

This is why i'm posting it now instead of later... A to get basic feedback, B because I haven't had much sleep lately, hit the button accidentally, and decided to leave it up, C because I was still working out logistics. Thanks for pointing that out as that is a fair enough point. Personally I just wanted something that I built through modding in NV, because to me it was cool. I'll drop it down and rework it again. Also I tend to produce barebones sheets before I finish them.

Anti-American Eagle:

Not G. Ivingname:

This is why i'm posting it now instead of later... A to get basic feedback, B because I haven't had much sleep lately, hit the button accidentally, and decided to leave it up, C because I was still working out logistics. Thanks for pointing that out as that is a fair enough point. Personally I just wanted something that I built through modding in NV, because to me it was cool. I'll drop it down and rework it again. Also I tend to produce barebones sheets before I finish them.

Yikes! When creating your character, you need to understand how he lives and breathes in the world. Your exquisite equipment make your character out to be a Ranger Decorated Veteran, which is strange considering most of them should be out on the battlefield and not in the Wild West. Plus, you were pretty young.

I also saw that you removed your sheet- Just remember that equipment needs to be maintained, and you need to have enough spare parts and cash on hand to keep it clean, working and loaded. In the Great Plains it would be very hard to find rare materials, even harder than in the NCR mainland.

What's your stance on multiple characters per player? Or is that something you're holding off on until more than 2-3 people sign up?

EmperorZuma:
What's your stance on multiple characters per player? Or is that something you're holding off on until more than 2-3 people sign up?

You answered your own question. I would prefer to first see a wider selection of players. Each player should ideally play as one character, but two characters can also be used. Bear in mind that if you do make a second character, and I do accept you into the game, I might choose just one of the two characters (or both).

Glasgow:
Snip

I have decided to drop the shotgun and the shovel. I will have a shovel at my characters house (I am a farmer after all), but not bring it around with me, relying more on the hatchet to knock off heads. Since my character is so good in melee, a shotgun seems kind of pointless.

Ok, I edited my sheet back into my original post, with more thought put into things.

A few questions for our GM while I'm thinking about it though...
How do skills cross over? As in things like, would stealth apply to camouflaging skills?
Is there any unique wildlife in the west compared to the places we've seen in the games?
And how wacky is this wasteland? (In terms of tone...)

Anti-American Eagle:
Ok, I edited my sheet back into my original post, with more thought put into things.

A few questions for our GM while I'm thinking about it though...
How do skills cross over? As in things like, would stealth apply to camouflaging skills?
Is there any unique wildlife in the west compared to the places we've seen in the games?
And how wacky is this wasteland? (In terms of tone...)

There are no camouflage skills. Stealth could be used in that way, or you could use the survivalist perk.
Yes, there are. This will use wild west references from movies and plenty of neat quests, locations and interesting minor factions.

Wildlife in the deserts and prairies of the area include giant scorpions, snakes and Spiders. There are also smaller versions of these, but you better look out for where you pitch a tent. There are wild horses bred by the locals and hordes of Bison running around in massive numbers. Brahmin make an appearance in farms and ranches as the Bison could not be tamed.

Mountain Lions, wild dogs, Jackals, wild cats, wolves, coyotes and foxes include the various predators on the ground. Other animals include wild Burros (donkeys), Deer, Ferrets and whatever else that I forgot right now or want to bring into the game that can fit the world.

Anti-American Eagle:

Edit: Ok, sheet edited back in. Constructive Criticism is always appreciated.

I don't see any problems. Looks good. Your character is pretty similar to another character that was already submitted. Take a look if you want and see it for yourself.

Glasgow:

There are no camouflage skills. Stealth could be used in that way, or you could use the survivalist perk.

Wait, what does the survivalist perk actually do here? I just picked up since I thought it just meant "can survive better on the land." How does it effect stealth?

Not G. Ivingname:

Glasgow:

Wait, what does the survivalist perk actually do here? I just picked up since I thought it just meant "can survive better on the land." How does it effect stealth?

Survivalist means you can survive in the wilderness. You can find your way around, hunt animals, scavenge things, etc.

This includes laying in wait for an animal and attacking it so you could have supper. This can also used when targeting humans... if you're a cannibal.

Glasgow:

Your character is pretty similar to another character that was already submitted.

Similar skills and perks, yes. But different concepts.

I'm abut curious about some thing so I thought i'd ask.

Is the Legion fragment fighting the NCR, other Legion fragments, or both?

Is it safe to assume the Great Khans are essentially the cartel here?

Are the Indians genuine tribes or just tribals?

I noticed you said yellow in regards to the super mutants, so are these the FO1/FO2/FO:T/FO:NV super mutants, the FO3 ones, another strain, or nobody knows?

Is the brotherhood of steel presence in the area more like the FO1/FO2/FO:NV brotherhood or more like the FO:T/FO3 brotherhood?

Anti-American Eagle:
I'm abut curious about some thing so I thought i'd ask.

Is the Legion fragment fighting the NCR, other Legion fragments, or both?

Is it safe to assume the Great Khans are essentially the cartel here?

Are the Indians genuine tribes or just tribals?

I noticed you said yellow in regards to the super mutants, so are these the FO1/FO2/FO:T/FO:NV super mutants, the FO3 ones, another strain, or nobody knows?

Is the brotherhood of steel presence in the area more like the FO1/FO2/FO:NV brotherhood or more like the FO:T/FO3 brotherhood?

Good questions.

Current Legion fragment you're facing is only fighting against other legion factions to the south. They're on friendly trading terms with the NCR and the locals to the north (where we're located).

Great Khans were first what they were in the original game, but the lifestyle and essence deteriorated as they added more members and it essentially became just a giant raider's community with some interesting rituals and equal status for women.

Indians are just local tribals that didn't grow 'civilization' the same way the others did in California. They didn't meet and vaults or use old technology to build a new world... They live in tribes and use tents (not permanent homes). They're a nomadic people for the most part.

These super-mutants are in fact like the ones from FO1/FO2/FO:T/FO:NV. There are, like the others, remnants of the master's army.

BoS is kinda similar to FO3 in a way that it isn't the main branch - it's just a smaller group that is trying to scout the area and find a base. They do however still go by the original goal of acquiring old world tech, but they do hire normal folk to do the dirty work (because they're not very numerous here). Hey, what do you know, you could help them find a base of operations! Maybe they will repay you in the future in the most epic battle of history?

Glasgow:

BoS is kinda similar to FO3 in a way that it isn't the main branch - it's just a smaller group that is trying to scout the area and find a base. They do however still go by the original goal of acquiring old world tech, but they do hire normal folk to do the dirty work (because they're not very numerous here). Hey, what do you know, you could help them find a base of operations! Maybe they will repay you in the future in the most epic battle of history?

Could we betray them and lead them into a canyon filled with enough explosives to light up the sky like it's New Vegas? I rather not be railroaded.

Not G. Ivingname:

Glasgow:

Could we betray them and lead them into a canyon filled with enough explosives to light up the sky like it's New Vegas? I rather not be railroaded.

Who said anything about being railroaded? You could just never meet them as well. You can get some jobs from them if you're interested, maybe get to their main quest, but that's it. You could always leave them hanging or sell them out for the NCR.

Glasgow:

Not G. Ivingname:

Glasgow:

Who said anything about being railroaded? You could just never meet them as well. You can get some jobs from them if you're interested, maybe get to their main quest, but that's it. You could always leave them hanging or sell them out for the NCR.

Good, just making sure. :)

>_>

<_<

Now where are some more players.

Edit: Welll damn...not going to have enough time :(

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked