Swordmasters: The Grandest Fencing Tournament (Interest and OOC)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

RP now closed.

(Late entrants, PM me. If I get two people, I'll accept you both as latecomers, but to keep it fair you'll have to start in the lower bracket.)

A sword wields no strength unless the hand that holds it has courage.

This is the essence of the swordsman. Those that truly embrace this knowledge, allow the sword to become almost as an extension of their body, and become Swordmasters. But the Supreme Sword (the embodiment of all swords in all known universes) has often wondered, who truly is the best with their blade? It pondered this almost for an eternity, before it sent out a call to all the swords it could touch.

Though the swords were given the message, only those with a strong affinity for their blade felt it. The message they received read as follows:

"Swordmasters of the universe. I represent the ultimate ideal of the sword, the Supreme Sword. You have been chosen, by virtue of your mastery of your discipline, to join the greatest tournament of this time. Your skills with the blade shall be sorely tested, but if you survive, your name shall echo throughout every world known as the Supreme Swordmaster. Even if you are not worthy of that honour, other rewards may be granted to you. In the meantime, you shall be accomodated with the greatest possible facilities between your battles. If you wish to join, simply show your willingness in the manner you see fit. The Supreme Sword awaits you."

Not every call would be answered, it knew. But surely, enough masters would be willing to make the tournament a blast for all those involved. Their greatest adventure had just begun.
~~~~~~
Welcome to the First Tournament of Swordmasters. Before you submit the application of the Swordmaster you see fit, here are some things for you, the actual players, to consider, starting with what's necessary in this very thread:

Additionally, the Swordmasters themselves must follow certain restrictions:

The tournament works as follows:

Details about the areas of the complex besides the arena itself:

And finally, an example application. I'm also going to use this in the tournament. Don't worry, I will apply my own rules to myself. I'm not that kind of GM. Feel free to call me out if I start abusing my powers, and I will try to stop.

Applications are open from right now, and will close when I think I have enough people to start. I'm hoping for at least eight or so, but I will get by on a smaller group if interest starts to decline.

May your blade be the swiftest and arm be the strongest.

The Arena thread is here.

The LQ is here.

Dibs on Vergil.

I am however curious as to why you're only allowing Video Game Characters?

You killed the potential for me when you said they all had to be from video-games. Have fun.

Glasgow:
You killed the potential for me when you said they all had to be from video-games. Have fun.

Yeah, same here.

I'll state right now before you even start reading, that before this IP was an anime, it was a visual novel, which tends to fall under video games when categorized.

leet_x1337:

1. Your Swordmaster (hereafter 'character' in OOC) must have originated in a video game or series. You cannot use someone whose debut was in anime or film, but later had a video game. Obviously, those without a game at all are out of the question.

So we can not create our own characters? That's honestly a huge turn off. Why do our characters have to be from a video game?

So... Any swordsman from a video game?

This is going to be fun.

Edit: Quick question about the tournament system: Will characters get modifiers for certain actions that can add/subtract from the d20 roll?

Here's a question I'm getting a lot of: why do I only allow existing characters? The simplest answer I can give is that I mentioned 'known worlds'. Creating original characters would require entrance into unknown worlds. That, and for the other players, it's easier to look up exactly what their opponent is capable of. That's pretty much my reasoning behind it. If this gets popular, I might make an OC version, though...

In other sections:

JokerboyJordan:
Dibs on Vergil.

Editing in more detail once you've written out the post elsewhere, I assume?

CJ1145:
~Archer~

Approved. I already know that Fate/ was originally a visual novel series, and I'll accept it as such. "Every sword ever" sounds like a fun sub-weapon, too.

Pappytech:
~Augus~

Edit: Quick question about the tournament system: Will characters get modifiers for certain actions that can add/subtract from the d20 roll?

It's worked out by the users. Whatever change you both agree is appropriate, is appropriate, though I'd prefer you keep any negotiations to PM or the group after you've decided you're rolling for an action. I can also see Augus being a lot of fun to have around, so again, accepted.

MetroidNut:
~Indrick Boreale~

At first, I was wondering whether to reject based on Warhammer 40,000 being a tabletop game or accept due to the fact that I allowed a visual novel...but then you wrote the bit about "actually mostly swords" and I lol'd. So, accepted, I suppose.

Benndak:
~xXxPROGAMRL337xXx~

Joke character, huh? Also slightly original, but I'm being pretty lenient with a lot of other things. However, I don't think the 'immortality' part is really fair. Maybe only have a certain number of lives?

Terratina.:
~Azure Kite~

Accepted.

leet_x1337:
words

For what it's worth, Boreale originated and only appears in the videogame adaptations of the franchise. So his universe is from a tabletop game, but the character himself is pure video game.

No problem, here's a revised sheet.

MetroidNut:

leet_x1337:
words

For what it's worth, Boreale originated and only appears in the videogame adaptations of the franchise. So his universe is from a tabletop game, but the character himself is pure video game.

Ah, I understand.

Benndak:
No problem, here's a revised sheet.

And accepted. Welcome to the tournament.

JokerboyJordan:
~Vergil~

Nice entrance story. Accepted.

D'awww, video games only? No original characters, or at least characters from other IPs? I am sooo let down, I really wanted to play this guy/a knockoff of this guy. Boo.

Please let me know if you have suggestions, if anyone knows more about Artorias, or if I got the lore surrounding him wrong somehow please let me know. I would include more in the Bio but a lot of the lore regarding him is somewhat murky.

Edit: Made some adjustments based off the wiki, if his ultimate being triggerable more than once seems OP I can remove that bit, I just have it that way because that's how it works in the game.

The greatest travesty of this RP's system is that there won't be any ninja turtles.

IFS:
Knight Artorias the Abysswalker

o_o

That... thing, honestly terrifies me. I am really glad I picked an agility hero, because their is no way any one is parring that.

Not G. Ivingname:

IFS:

o_o

That... thing, honestly terrifies me. I am really glad I picked an agility hero, because their is no way any one is parring that.

Virgil and Orange Knight? Augus too. I think even Archer could do some damage.

CJ1145:
The greatest travesty of this RP's system is that there won't be any ninja turtles.

Seconded, WE DEMAND NON-BAY TURTLES!!

RuedyN:

Not G. Ivingname:

IFS:

o_o

I meant parry as in "block the sword hit with your own." Just the weight of the impact would either knock the sword out of your hands or break it in two. Even if it doesn't it would likely just make you smash your face with your own sword.

Not G. Ivingname:

RuedyN:

Not G. Ivingname:

o_o

I meant parry as in "block the sword hit with your own." Just the weight of the impact would either knock the sword out of your hands or break it in two. Even if it doesn't it would likely just make you smash your face with your own sword.

Considering that in game you can parry things like this guy:

But not Artorias, even in his weakened state, I'd say you'd be right. :D

Might be fun to see someone try though... :P

In all fairness, we've got people running around that are, on the lower end of the scale, twenty times stronger than a human, compared to the most disgustingly fragile protagonist in recent memory. We might have a better shot of it.

IFS:
snip

Pretty sure Orange Knight's shield can block everything. It's a bit frightening, really.

RuedyN:

IFS:
snip

Pretty sure Orange Knight's shield can block everything. It's a bit frightening, really.

The laws of physics demand the force of the attack has to go somewhere. The shield may not be broken, but would be pushed back into the Orange Knight, meaning he avoided the swords edge only to get the blunt force applied to his arm and chin instead.

Not G. Ivingname:

RuedyN:

IFS:
snip

The laws of physics demand the force of the attack has to go somewhere. The shield may not be broken, but would be pushed back into the Orange Knight, meaning he avoided the swords edge only to get the blunt force applied to his arm and chin instead.

Because if fire, a giant dragon with a sock puppet, boulders, and other magics and attacks don't do it, that guy almost CERTAINLY will.

RuedyN:

IFS:
snip

Parrying is very different compared to blocking. Artorias can be blocked although it requires a REALLY good shield, but he cannot be parried in his game.

CJ1145:
In all fairness, we've got people running around that are, on the lower end of the scale, twenty times stronger than a human, compared to the most disgustingly fragile protagonist in recent memory. We might have a better shot of it.

True, although the PC in DS can get ridiculously strong and still not be able to do so, but we'll see. While they can probably block him I still doubt they can parry him though.

Geez, I didn't expect this many new entrants while I was out. Okay, processing...

Not G. Ivingname:
~Meta Knight~

Interesting take on how he'd feel about the tournament, though of course those who fall don't stay dead. But he doesn't know that, so props for the writing. Oh, and just so you don't get too complacent, I picked an agility hero as well. Just something to consider.

RuedyN:
~Orange Knight~

And another actual knight. Knights, samurai, soldiers and MMO players - things are really heating up.

Redryhno:
~Sephiroth~

I was wondering when he'd show up. I'm just surprised, though not necessarily disappointed, that Link is yet to show. Also, white hair seems to be pretty common among this group...

IFS:
~Artorias the Abysswalker~

And more knights in the nightmare. Believe me, that's how it will get - I've got some surprises planned...

Starting with, who wants an exhibition match to show how the system works?

leet_x1337:
And another actual knight. Knights, samurai, soldiers and MMO players - things are really heating up.

... My second choice was Rytlock from GW2, and Marth naturally.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked