S.L.I.C.E. {Game Thread/ Closed, Started}

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

"Sorry, still trying to get used to everyone's names."

"It's fine, I'm Lucas and he's Will, you're Lyra right?" he replied, extending a hand to shake, hoping that this time would go better than when he had introduced himself to Medea. He looked at John, "And you're John if I overheard correctly."

He set his tray down with his other hand and saw Will set his down as well, loaded with various assorted pastries. It seemed that while they did not have pizza they did have red bull, as well as coffee. Of the two people they were sitting with Lyra seemed ok, although John seemed a bit off somehow. Ah well he figured that would be true of a lot of his coworkers here.

"...Shit!"

Haytham had oversleep. With a stretch, he sighed, half-expecting a drill sergeant to shout about the manner of his discipline, but luckily, they had just left him behind. It was the better outcome of the two, but then again, it was out of two evils. In hurry, he somersaulted out of bed, into in clothes and zoomed down to the cafeteria. Nabbing a glass of chocolate milk and a generous portion of pain au chocolat, he made sure that his breakfast was somewhat uplifting. Nothing depressed him like muesli. Horrible stuff that tasted of nothing but brown pulp. Yogurt didn't help either. It was be better suited to a plate of fruit salad... Suddenly, Haytham snapped out of his daze and continued over to the checkout. A few dollars poorer and tray in hand, he headed over to the table populated by those he had recently met yesterday and a few others. He non-chalantly placed his tray down the table.

"Morning all."

"The base? It's been all of... If you count the first night, this'll be my third day. You've been around for about the same amount of time, right? Thought I saw you when we were all moving in the other day."
"Mind if we sit here?"
"Not at all, Nice to see you again, er... Will, right? Or are you Lucas and he's Will? Sorry, still trying to get used to everyone's names."
"Hi."
"It's fine, I'm Lucas and he's Will, you're Lyra right? And you're John if I overheard correctly."
"Morning all."

"Morning."

He turned back to Lyra.

"Yeah, I guess I've been around here as long as you have. I've been hoping to find someone other than the division heads and the command staff that's been here longer than me."

The witch followed the others through the portal, however instead of going to the psych evaluation like the others she returned to her room in the barracks. She didn't need another scientist or psychologist prodding and poking her, asking her how she felt or if she felt anything at all. Killing those demons had made her feel better and she didn't want the feeling to go away, after all, the witch already knew how broken she was. She envied the others that were on that battlefield with her, they had lives, some connection to the place she had been told to call home, all she had was a blank haze of nothingness to look back on and visions of an uncertain future to look towards. Medea returned to her empty vigil beside her bed, but the battle had drained her; no one can keep awake for ever.

Fire, and then something, a creature caressing her face and whisking her away from her persecution. Something was wrong, the smile on the creatures face was...Unsettling. Then fear and pain and fire. She knew that smile, that face, those eyes. This was wrong. Why was he doing this? The name glowed like a hot brand in her mind: Abigor.

"Ahem, rise, shine, report to the main hall. We've got a lot of missions and none of them are specialized. Find the mission board when you're ready, you have all day, others don't."

Sweating, she awoke in the corner that she a fallen asleep in, half remembered remnants of that nightmare were still fresh in her mind. The witch thanked the technology that the day before she had damned for pulling her out of it. She showered and then dressed herself in similar clothes that she had worn the day before, hood up, and ascended in the lift to the cafeteria.

The witch grabbed a simple breakfast, porridge with a glass of water and sat herself down at a separate table from the group of those she had fought with the day previously.

"Morning all."

Will smiled slightly to Haytham, before continuing eating. He finished his food in a short amount of time, wanting to get back to his room or at least somewhere he could actually relax. However, then he saw Medea, and sighed. There was this one thing he had been considering, and that was his action beforehand. There wasn't a doubt in his mind that she had deserved it, but perhaps... he had done something bad as well?

There was this slight possibility, and him apologizing to her would at least mean that he was the better person. He didn't think she'd dare to try anything there, should she get mad, and he was just going to apologize. Besides, she had outright glared at him several times, And Lucas had mentioning something about apologizing, so she probably knew about it. "I'm going to leave now," he told Lucas, before standing up and going over Medea. Even though he was tired as hell, and she was probably not in a good mood ever, him being polite would make it a simply done apology, right?

"Good morning," he said, when he was close enough to her. His voice wasn't very loud, but he was close enough for her to hear. "I'm sorry about yesterday. It was childish and stupid of me." He sounded as earnest as he could, pushing emotions through his distant tone. "I won't do it again." That was good enough, right? Did he have to sound more sorry? He hoped not, because it wasn't as if he was trying to trick her, he just wanted to be done with it.

"It's fine, I'm Lucas and he's Will, you're Lyra right?"

"Yep!" came her cheerful reply, as Lyra gave Lucas' hand a few hearty shakes. "You got it."

"Yeah, I guess I've been around here as long as you have. I've been hoping to find someone other than the division heads and the command staff that's been here longer than me."

"Mmmmm." Her brow furrowed in thought, the soldier turned back to face John. "I... Don't think that's really going to happen. I was under the impression that we're the first wave of recruits; besides the heads and commanders, I think everyone else has been here for about the same amount of time."

Medea was finishing her breakfast, tracing words on the table with her finger: Iona, Mairi, Kirsteen, she wondered if one of them could be her true name. If she discovered that then she was sure that would be the key to unlocking her past, the past before the flames, before the cave. During her ponderings the younger brother approached her, no doubt to cause her some form of annoyance. She would have prefered it if he just left her alone.

"Good morning,"H e said, when he was close enough to her. His voice was almost a whisper amongst the din of the cafeteria, however, he raised it enough to be heard by the witch,"I'm sorry about yesterday. It was childish and stupid of me." He continued in an apologetic tone "I won't do it again."

"Fine" She replied.

She got up and left the cafeteria in search of the mission board. She was tempted to hex the boy with a growing nose, the witch was sure he did not mean what he said, but that would only cause her more difficulty. If the quarrel between her and the siblings drew the attention of heads of SLICE then she would lose her chance to fight the demons and find her past. Medea would find a more discreet way of dealing with Will.

"I... Don't think that's really going to happen. I was under the impression that we're the first wave of recruits; besides the heads and commanders, I think everyone else has been here for about the same amount of time."

"Yeah that seems to be true of this place, I think there are other bases out there though," he said, he considered mentioning his aunt, but decided it didn't matter "At any rate what all brings you guys into the program?"

As he said this he cast a glance at Will again, who seemed to be apologizing to Medea, good for him, even if she doesn't accept its good that he's doing that he thought. Deciding Will could handle himself he turned back to Lyra and John to await their answers.

"Fine"

It wasn't as if the woman was trying to hide her dislike for him, at least, getting up and leaving after replying to him. She seemed not to believe him, but as long as she didn't try to take revenge, Will couldn't care less. He had tried to apologize, and he had been honest, but he wasn't going to bake her a cake and give her a hug just to show her that he was sorry. It was probably way too early for him to practice the flute, so he figured he'd either sleep, or read, depending. Considering the amount of caffeine in his body, the first didn't strike him as particularly likely.

He went back to his room, and laid down in the bed, before deciding to read, and taking up the book he had on human anatomy. It was a book with a lot of pictures, of every possible part there could be. It wasn't the first school-kind of book he had been reading, nor would it be the last. Reading these was a good way of learning stuff to do with telekinesis, if he knew how the inside of his body or someone else's was supposed to work and look, he could probably try to temporarily fix it. Perhaps hinder himself dying of blood-loss, or such. He kept reading, halfway waiting for something to happen, albeit he knew he'd have to go get a mission sooner or later.

"At any rate what all brings you guys into the program?"

Not today

"Well it was nice talking to you guys but I should really get to work."
He stood up, left the table, and walked out of the cafeteria.

He eventually got geared up and walked to the the mission board, considering the comment made by the announcer earlier, it would be better to start now rather than later.

"At any rate what all brings you guys into the program?"

"Oh, this, that, you know. Sounded like a good opportunity for advancement, I guess.

"But anyways!" Gulping down the last of her milk, Lyra slammed her cup onto her tray. "Probably about time to check out those missions, eh?"

Leaving her dirty dishes where they lay, the soldier made her way towards the mission board.

Everyone seemed to be finishing up their meals and moving off to check the mission board, "Oh come on I'm not THAT ugly am I?" Lucas said jokingly as they walked away. He turned back and scarfed down his food, taking his and Lyra's dirty plates to where they were supposed to go. When that was finished he went to find Will, and the two of them walked to the mission board.

Main Hall

The main hall had cleared out a bit, most had simply gone and taken missions off the board. They were certainly swamped, and only 10 remained. James oversaw the cluster of people looking over the board still, the missions remaining weren't exactly glorious. Mostly pertaining to Templars lost in the woods, Iscariot wanting test subjects for some reason, sightings of demons in major cities, etc.

James noticed the group come in, almost all at once from the cafeteria. He sighed, hadn't he made it clear he wanted them to show up as early as possible? Granted, he hadn't exactly fed anyone...

"Excuse me! Excuse me, sir, I need help!" A tall man, 7 feet at least, ran around the small crowd still hanging around the board, holding a piece of paper to his chest. His great bushy beard helped to mask his irritated expression, as he tried to get the attention of everyone he came by. He noticed a girl enter the room, badly scarred and burned but it barely mattered to him.

"Excuse me miss, sorry to disturb you, but I need some help reading this. And maybe help completing this mission. Do you mind?" He spoke a bit quickly, and was clearly embarrassed, but he seemed a nice enough sort. A woman began a bit of an uproar behind him, yelling about the triviality to all the missions presented to her. Her eyes seemed ablaze, but James quickly moved to her and calmed her down. He began looking around for a person to deal with her, and chose the brothers Lucas and Will.

"Hello, you two... I don't actually know your names. ANYWAYS, I was hoping you two could help me deal with the Sorceress. I'm pretty sure I read Zeke's report that you were harassing one all the time. Toodles!" He walked off without another word, whistling some catchy tune or another. He passed by the soldier and the sniper on his way back up to his lookout.

"Hello. The mission board is in the great hall, in case you forgot. There probably aren't too many missions, so best to hurry up!"

Remaining missions: Find lost Templar's and Iscariot Test Subjects WANTED!

"Hello, you two... I don't actually know your names. ANYWAYS, I was hoping you two could help me deal with the Sorceress. I'm pretty sure I read Zeke's report that you were harassing one all the time. Toodles!"

What just happened? Will looked over to Lucas, in order to see if he had actually heard correctly. It seemed so. Did this mean his only mission for the day was to take care of this woman? Probably not, but he could only hope. Will sighed, but he actually decided that it'd be better to get it over with. Wasn't his fault if the lady got offended, not when some guy with rank had told them to take care of it. He walked over to the woman. "Hey." Will said. "What's the problem? Do you need help with anything?" He didn't sound helpful, but at least there was a polite tone to his voice. "I'm Will, and that's my brother, Lucas. We're D6 as well."

Lucas was somewhat startled by the man's sudden request, but more startled by Will taking charge of the situation. Deciding that it was a good thing for his brother to finally be reaching out to others Lucas followed his lead. He considered complaining about the harassment comment, but it wasn't terribly important, if it was then they would likely get called to some seminar later or something.

He did wonder if this sorceress was simply a SLICE employee, or yet another myth made flesh, like Merlin had been. He was starting to think that after a week at this place nothing would surprise him.

"Hey. What's the problem? Do you need help with anything?"

"Hm?" She had managed to calm down a bit, but was still a little irritated. She kept most of her attention on the board, looking between the two remaining missions and the paper in her hand. He noticed Lucas approaching too, and Will introduced the both of them.

"I'm Will, and that's my brother, Lucas. We're D6 as well."

"Good to meet you? The boss told me you'll be accompanying me Tell me, would you rather chase some dumb Temple whatever's, or try to find a dragon out in Nevada? I leave the choice to you as they are both so insanely trivial I might just sleep walk through the missions." She shrugged, giving the paper to Will. She proceeded to make a lightning bolt in her hand, lazily juggling it.

"Hello. The mission board is in the great hall, in case you forgot. There probably aren't too many missions, so best to hurry up!"

"Oh, uh... Okay?"

The giant of a man tore away, leaving only a few words of advice in his wake. Scratching her head, Lyra cast a curious glimpse at his retreating form. Why did she feel like she should know who he was?

Eh. It could wait until later.

Striding up to the board, the soldier perused the two remaining missions. "Let's see here," she muttered to herself, her eyes skimming the text before her. "Find lost Templar's... Something, I guess, and Iscariot Test Subjects... Wow. These both sound... Wow."

Well, there was no way in Heaven or Hell she was going to volunteer to be a Test Subject for, well, anything that the Iscariots might be planning. That was just asking for trouble. Which really only left her with the one option.

Sighing, Lyra snatched up the flyer from the mission board, scanning the other details and contact information.

Accursed double posts!

"Fine! Fine!" Haytham protested. It was too soon to be separated from his collection of pain au chocolat. And think of the poor glass of chocolate milk that was still half-full! He sighed and walked over to the board at a sluggish pace and with dreary eyes glossed over what was posted. 'Something, something Templar... Something, something Iscariot Test Subjects.' Was his thoughts on the matter. Either way, it was yet more grunt work. When was S.L.I.C.E. going to pull its own weight anyway? Worst conglomerate ever! Then he noticed the woman from before ripping up a flyer from the board, the sound of paper being torn entering his ears. Haytham smiled and lent over. "Y'know, it's good to share." He began, "What exactly are you looking at there anyway? C'mon! Tell me!"

"Good to meet you? The boss told me you'll be accompanying me Tell me, would you rather chase some dumb Temple whatever's, or try to find a dragon out in Nevada? I leave the choice to you as they are both so insanely trivial I might just sleep walk through the missions."

A dragon? Even though Will didn't doubt she was either just kidding or insane, it couldn't hurt pretending to go along with it. Besides, this woman seemed to have a reason for acting so arrogantly, so should it happen, the extremely small chance she might actually be correct, it didn't strike him as a suicide mission. Of course, most likely it was something a bit more... likely. Still, it actually did sound kinda interesting, and a lot less bothersome than chasing whatever it was.

"Sure, we'll do the dragon thing," he said. "Right Lucas?" Will asked, just in order to be sure it was the right option.

"Y'know, it's good to share. What exactly are you looking at there anyway? C'mon! Tell me!"

It was the Middle-Eastern gentleman from earlier. Lyra recalled meeting him on the first night; he had introduced himself as... as... Something that started with an H, right? Hazam maybe? No, that wasn't it, but for the life of her she couldn't remember his name!

Well. This was a little awkward.

Then again, it wasn't like she had to let him know that she had forgotten. If she could just stick it out long enough, then odds were someone else would have to use his name eventually. So, for now, might as well mess around with him bit...

"What? You mean this?" the soldier replied, briefly turning the flyer towards her new companion. She barely gave him time to get half a glance at it, however, before she pulled it back, holding it mock-protectively against her chest. "Ah ah ah," she continued, a half-smile on her lips, "this is my mission. You're going to have to do more than just ask nicely if you want to join in."

Chuckling, Lyra turned and began to walk away, the leaflet clutched in her hand. "Besides, I'm sure you don't want to help out the Templars. Wouldn't it be more fun to volunteer for the Iscariots' experiments?"

Lars Eckhart ran into the main hall, pushing others out of the way to look at the board. He noticed the Iscariot mission, and yelled "SCORE," before running back out of the hall again, before disappearing mid-sprint. A figure in a blue hoody put his finger to his mouth,

"Shhhh." He teleported out of the room, probably to do expirements on poor, poor Lars. The woman stared at that, before shaking her head and turning back to Will, with a wild grin.

"Sure, we'll do the dragon thing, right Lucas?"

"Good to know, good to know. My name is Xene Raptis, pleased to meet you. Also, SHAZAM!" A lightning bolt struck the ground, and the three were transported to what looked to be the middle of a cliff, the two brothers' heels were against the edge of the lip, leading to a large cave.

"Well, dragon is either here or doesn't exist. Let's hurry up!" She jogged ahead, into the cave with a bolt of lightning in her hand.

"Right Lucas?"

"Sounds good," he replied, still happy to see Will taking the initiative. He was about to turn and ask the sorceress for her name when she did something rather strange.

"Good to know, good to know. My name is Xene Raptis, pleased to meet you. Also, SHAZAM!"

He looked around, they were in a cave of some sort and were looking for a dragon, he'd feel better if he knew what kind of dragon and what it could do, but the woman seemed confident enough so maybe it wasn't a big deal. Hopefully its just a baby dragon or something.

"Well, dragon is either here or doesn't exist. Let's hurry up!"

Will's mouth was wide open for a short moment, before he closed it. He was speechless. How was he to expect that she meant now? This very moment? And were they on a cliff? How close had they been to her teleporting them to the wrong location? Not to mention, Lucas seemed strangely okay with it. Or was he just keeping calm? Will realized that if the woman really was insane, this might be the place she'd take them to murder them brutally, or something just as crazy as that. Or perhaps there was a dragon. A huge, dangerous dragon, ready to kill them instantly.

He walked away from the edge, he had no fear of heights, but he didn't exactly trust this lady, nor did he want to fall down. Dragging Lucas as far away from the cliff as he could, without walking into the cave, Will approached it carefully. "Say, you finding anything?" he asked, before moving in. It didn't sound like there was anything inside there, but then again, all he could hear was the sound of his heartbeats. He hid behind Lucas as they went further into the cave, just in case.

"...Besides, I'm sure you don't want to help out the Templars. Wouldn't it be more fun to volunteer for the Iscariots' experiments?"

This was a game a more awake Haytham would be happy to play. If she thought that he was just going to put up with that little show, well she was wrong. For one thing, he hated needles, dentists and the smell of hospitals, Haytham would probably enjoy a life-or-death battle between a demon more. Why would people volunteer to be tested on anyway? They probably wanted something to happen like growing a third arm or something and becoming a superhero, just like in the comics. Or they were desperate for work that did not include being faced with the threat of death-by-demon. Haytham was not of one them.

"I hate needles." He answered, mock-sour as he walked after her. Switching his tone to a mock-pleading one complete with an attempt at puppy-dog eyes he continued, "Please? Just what is it you want me to do, Miss. This Is My Mission?"

"Say, you finding anything?"

Xene stared at a coiled serpent, sitting in the the very back of the cave. She could see it from a lightning bolt in her hand, the light gleaming off the scales. It reared it's head, and starred into her eyes with its' snake like pupils, it's mustache looking thing almost getting sucked into its' mouth with every breath, before getting blown back outward.

"... What an ugly, disappointing creature. Yeah, found it!" she looked around the cave, paintings lined the walls, and the ground near the dragon was almost covered in gold and treasure. She was mildly impressed by this, though kept quiet as she slowly approached the dragon.

"Don't worry, not going to hurt- SHABANG!" She threw a lightning bolt, which bounced off its' scales and hit Mona Lisa between the eyebrows.

"Now that was just rude. Whenever you two are ready, need to hit the stomach I think!"

"Now that was just rude. Whenever you two are ready, need to hit the stomach I think!"

Lucas wasn't sure what he had expected a dragon to look like, but he doubted it was quite like this, Will would probably be terrified of it, given how serpentine it looked. He stepped in front of Will, ready to shield him from attack, his right arm pulled in his hand and he felt a shift of mass from his torso as more of it allocated to there, transforming into a monstrous and twisted chitinous shield. Even as this happened the fingers on his other hand also shrunk inwards as they were absorbed, the bones in his arm sharpened and lengthened, protruding from his palm as his left arm became a short lance of bone.

"Will, try throwing something at it, I don't think I'd last long up close against it," he said as he adopted a fighting stance.

The witch was browsing the mission board, neither of the two appealed to her; one was searching for test subjects, something she had the unfortunate luck of already experiencing after joining SLICE and the other was to search for some lost Templars, a mission that was more suited to her abilities rather than her tastes.

Interrupting her perusal of the board, a large bearded man who looked quite flustered suddenly approached her asking for some help reading some manuscript or text and then completing a mission. A woman had started complaining loudly behind her. The request seemed easy enough and if it got her away from the two brothers and the noisy HQ then she would do it.

"Fine." She replied.

"Fine."

The Giant nodded his head, and handed the paper to the tiny lady. He had an odd aura of heat, his hand felt 5 degrees warmer than the room they were standing in.

"I'll follow you, runes on the wall are good enough for transportation. You have all the power of a fire Jotun behind you, we shall not fail!" He slammed his fists together, creating a minor spark.

The piece of paper showed an interesting mission, apparently a traitor had gone and summoned a Demon Lord, and were killing off agents in Australia. The facility there had gone silent, so they assume the worst. There was even a bounty on the head of the traitor!

"So, what do you think? Shall we be off?"

Well, what the hell. It seemed the dragon was more like a large snake. Fuck. Will frowned, but luckily Lucas stepped in front of him, removing a lot of his view of the long dragon-snake-thing. He really didn't like snakes.

"Will, try throwing something at it, I don't think I'd last long up close against it,"

He looked at the treasure around the dragon, he figured he should get something sharp. Or perhaps heavy was the way to go? "Both." Will lifted up several items, letting them gain speed and using as much force as possible while throwing them at the dragon's stomach, making for a powerful impact.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here