Run From Fate: An Escape RP (Accepting Escapees, Started)

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

"We need to get out of here. This can't keep going like this. I won't die like some...thing under this."

This world could be considered the pinnacle of all evolutions of living, technology, and society. It would be a fantastic place to learn all sorts of skills, practice or learn magic, experience new and exciting species, new ways of using different types of tech, and almost worlds of possibilities. A world that had conflict like any world, but it was not all consuming, and there were many areas of peace and business...

But, as it was stated, it COULD be a pinnacle of evolution. Instead, it is a place of survival, an open prison, and a place where you are either accepting your fate, or trying to escape from it. While this world has races and people from all walks of life, it is all patrolled by a single being. Some would call this being a monster, or a tyrant wanting to play with toys. Some even would guess that it is actually a guardian which has lost its mission and now seeks to keep the populace safe from any outside influence.

Whatever the case, this thing has been stomping around for many eons now. While many of the cities, groups, and civilizations have quietly accepted the cruel fate that has been put on themselves, there are still others which seek to escape. While some have publicly tried to do their escape, meeting with minimal success due to at times being plucked out of the sky by the monster itself, and sometimes less that great things happening to those that were mildly successful in their attempts to teleport away. The odd creature's fascination with changing the ways its inhabitants live (or usually die) especially when attempting to escape is the fate that everyone else on the planet is doing their best to avoid. Whatever drives the creature, whatever powers it, and whatever it is ultimately made of doesn't seem to matter, as no matter what people have attempted to avoid it, to fight it, or trap it, seems to be met with one failure after another. The fact remained the same: the only way to outdo the creature is to simply escape the planet.

And escape you must. You are driven to escape, having been stuck here by some method or another. And for whatever reasons, you are now going to find a way off this rock. Flying, teleporting, dimensional rift, black hole, FTL drive, whatever method that can be considered to escape, is a way you can seek to get out.

But it is never that simple, and the creatures of the planet, as well as The One watching over the inhabitants to make sure there is no escape for many of the denizens. Ships are largely unheard of, not in working order, or hidden to a point in which none can find them. It will take some work, some luck, and some time to get away from this world.

Escape you must, or be stuck on this planet for the rest of your days.

This looks like a lot of fun so I'll work on something as soon as I can.
Good luck getting the interest. I've got the basics of an idea already so there should be something soon.

Made in conjunction with Wenseph's upcoming character. I hope the sheet isn't too long, and I hope you'll allow siblings!

Always good to see a bit of collaboration going on here. While I do not quite see how the cybernetics are in texasJokers character, it all seems relatively in order. Just need some more people.

UnusualStranger:
Always good to see a bit of collaboration going on here. While I do not quite see how the cybernetics are in texasJokers character, it all seems relatively in order. Just need some more people.

Awesome! As for Juda's cybernetics, I'm not sure I can find a very good reference as to how I would want them to look, and I have no artistic skill whatsoever. At least, not drawn, in any case.

Still, I'm hoping that there's some more sheets so we can get started!

I'm considering copy/pasting a sheet that I entered in another RP, but I'll need some questions answered first:

1. Are our characters allowed to be children? By children, I mean "10 years of age, possibly younger".
2. What era/technological level is this, and if there is interstellar travel, how common is it?
3. Speaking of interstellar shenanigans, do we pick/create a "race", or has that been specified somewhere I missed?
4. In terms of magic, would a character aping a D&D druid be allowed?

I do hope everything is up to scratch, please tell me any way I can improve if otherwise.

deathbydeath:
I'm considering copy/pasting a sheet that I entered in another RP, but I'll need some questions answered first:

1. Are our characters allowed to be children? By children, I mean "10 years of age, possibly younger".
2. What era/technological level is this, and if there is interstellar travel, how common is it?
3. Speaking of interstellar shenanigans, do we pick/create a "race", or has that been specified somewhere I missed?
4. In terms of magic, would a character aping a D&D druid be allowed?

1. I will allow children, but I hope you realize that you can't expect a kid to have too much success in escaping the planet. Even the smartest of kids will have a hard time simply just getting to a point where there is a possibility of escape.

2. The era of tech is cybernetic. High tech computers, cybernetics, jets, and all sorts of things. Elsewhere? Interstellar travel is somewhat common, but you won't be simply jumping to that here.

3. You are allowed to pick/create whichever race you wish. I will have to look over the race, of course, but you are being given relatively free choosing in what you want.

4. A druid? Sounds reasonable enough, as long as I understand the right kind of druid. Would need to see the sheet to verify, but I can see no issue with it.

@Nomad of the Stars: An interesting choice, actually. Unique, and I can appreciate that. All looks good here, even if it isn't well equipped with much. Looking forward to this.

This sounds a lot like Ravenloft. I have always wanted to send this character to Ravenloft. Consider me in.

This RP is really interesting, but I just have two questions.

1. How emphasized will character interaction be?

2. This may sound stupid, but is The One a physical creature or some sort of omnipresent force?

RuedyN:
Chopped for problems...

Oddly, you write as if your character was brought to the planet and then abandoned there, which is....well, for the most part impossible. They would either get stuck here, or just drop you off and run for it. And....who is Abaddon? I think you might need to look your sheet over a bit, its kinda inconsistent. Claws that rip through metal, poisons from all over, and wings. No explanation of technology understanding or anything like that, which is somewhat important for what you are about to undertake.

drmigit2:

This sounds a lot like Ravenloft. I have always wanted to send this character to Ravenloft. Consider me in.

Seems okish enough. Just one thing though, the teleportation and "World Jumping"? Those have GOT to go. Not very trapped on this world if those are things that he did on a regular basis before. Otherwise, seems to work from an entrance standpoint.

lionrwal:
This RP is really interesting, but I just have two questions.

1. How emphasized will character interaction be?

2. This may sound stupid, but is The One a physical creature or some sort of omnipresent force?

1. Character interaction will depend on your fellow players, of course. If some of you want to create a new ship and escape, then you would no doubt band together to do that over a group of magic users trying to make a portal to escape.

2. The One is a Physical entity. Having an omnipresent force would make it impossible to escape, as The One would simply KNOW what was going on and stop you just because he could. No worries though, it is a valid concern.

Lambi:

Ah, catpeoples. I do like how they decided to simply send you into space though. It all seems to work so far, but good luck in attempts to get off the planet.

PrinceOfShapeir:

Vampire hunter? Might have some fun on this planet, with a few vampire-like creatures roaming about. Course, that might be more of an inclination to stay than it is to go. Though, perhaps The One wondering what he would be like being the thing he hunted would work could be enough encouragement to leave. But, seems mostly fine.

UnusualStranger:

RuedyN:
Chopped for problems...

Oddly, you write as if your character was brought to the planet and then abandoned there, which is....well, for the most part impossible. They would either get stuck here, or just drop you off and run for it. And....who is Abaddon? I think you might need to look your sheet over a bit, its kinda inconsistent. Claws that rip through metal, poisons from all over, and wings. No explanation of technology understanding or anything like that, which is somewhat important for what you are about to undertake.

I meant to name him Abaddon, then realized I couldn't as he's not a demon, and I don't know how I missed that one. I think I said they dropped him and all the other rejects of society off, and ran like fucking hell. As for tech, he has none other than basic traps.

I'll go back over my sheet though.

Sorry for the delay, been having some trouble getting my idea down into the sheet format. I'll try and spend some real time on it tomorrow.

Until then would any mind having a look at the basic concept and giving me some feedback? After all if the idea isn't green lit I will have to scrap it and work on something else.

The Tendrilthane is a floating portal with tentacles emanating from it. In its tentacles it holds an ornate suit of armour, which it controls like a puppet. No one knows what the Tendrilthane looks like beyond the portal, only once has anyone reached the portal still alive and it's her armour.

Sure it used to be a monster but things changed. Like a child with a doll the Tendrilthane appears devoted to the idea the armour is alive, attached to the suit and showing genuine concern for it. The Tendrilthane never speaks, preferring not to interact with anyone directly instead using the armour (mostly with a sort of mime).

Despite appearances it's not evil in fact with the armour in hand (tendrils) it's doing some good, almost like it's trying to be a knight, honour and all.

What do you all think?

lionrwal:

Hm. Future soldier huh? Will be interesting to see how they play with all the other individuals that they will run into here. But perhaps they will be prepared for that. Looks good.

avouleance2nd:

What do you all think?

Just a simple question. What exactly is it? It can't have been here BEFORE The One, because he would have made sure this thing would have been taken care of ruining villages and the like and consuming a large amount of life forms. If it is a portal being of sorts, then it doesn't have a problem escaping in the first place. Just need to have an idea of what it is before I accept or deny it.

This looks pretty neat, is it still open?

UnusualStranger:

Snip

The best way to describe the Tendrilthane is similar to a shellfish; with the portal being the opening of the shell (it just so happens that the insides are in a different dimension). So while it could retreat into its shell it would still need to come out for food and it can't move from the inside. Not to mention the Tendrilthane is very attached to the suit so will do it best to defend the suit.

The Tendrilthane doesn't need to be older than The One if that would mess with your lore. Then again it might be interesting if The One had used the Tendrilthane in the past (not sure why it would stop) but it's different now that the Tendrilthane has the suit. You could even say the Tendrilthane doesn't actually want to escape for itself instead wanting to set the suit free from The One.

Also as a note (because apparently this wasn't clear to a friend of mine) the Tendrilthane is floating above the suit not inside it. So basically like a string puppet.

Any other questions just ask. I know it's a weird idea so sorry if I don't always express it properly. I may be getting someone to help me with some art for it.

If it doesn't work I'll see if I can think of anything else.

Now to read the other sheets.

RandomMan01:
This looks pretty neat, is it still open?

Of course. Give it a try.

avouleance2nd:
quick slice

Well, I find that the main reason this will not work is because it is an inherent way out. You say that it has grown attached to the suit, but I imagine it isn't all that attached it it was threatened with annihilation. It could easily abandon the suit, and be ultimately away from the planet and safe. Like I said in the Original Post, the one thing that is really restricting your characters are the ability to just escape by simply having a ship, or teleportation.

In your characters case, you are going to have an ability/equipment/power that allows you to just defeat the entire purpose of the RP. I am leaving the door wide open for characters, but you are running into the wall next to it. Some tendril armor would work, or perhaps some other idea if you have one, but not a portal creature.

UnusualStranger:

Snip

Well the Tendrilthane can't escape, like I said retreating into the portal is like a turtle hiding in its shell. It can't move when inside so it can't use retreating to get out of a tough situation. The best it's good for is temporary cover or hiding and even then there's not much stopping someone pulling out a gun and shooting into the portal (the only things that can't cross over are living things so guns or even just points sticks are enough to get at it).

That's a quick response because it's late for me but I'll work on something more structured tomorrow.

Sure the idea would probably work just as well with some sort of space jellyfish since the portal is mostly a stylistic choice so I could make the change but I don't think the portal presents the problems you say it does. But if we can't work this out I'll work on a space jellyfish version.

Here's my character, hope he works:

avouleance2nd:
chop

Well, I would prefer it if you went with something else. I would appreciate the armor with tentacles, but a giant puppet doesn't make any kind of sense, especially when the creature itself makes little sense. It leaves far too many questions, as in where does the portal take you if you jump through it? How long would it take for the portal creature to "die" from lacking food and materials? Is this armor really of any significance whatsoever if it came to life or death situation? Is there purpose to this thing trying to escape the planet? Is there a reason why it is here in the first place?

And the list can go on and on. These are many questions that can have some crushing effects to the overall point of the RP, so I would like a character that doesn't raise as many, and largely obeys the rules of existence. Apologies, as it does seem of some interesting idea, but it doesn't quite work here.

RandomMan01:
Here's my character, hope he works:

Seems good to me. Thanks for the interest!

UnusualStranger:
snip

He can teleport very short distances, like across a room max. It won't be useful for escaping The One more than flying. His world jumping is just an aspect of Planescape. He can't do it on command or by accident, Planescape just has doors to other dimensions and he walked through one and found himself here. Basically, somewhere in this dimension, that door still exists and he is looking to find it, but it could be anywhere in the universe. He can't do it at will, it's just a part of every universe. Planescape connects to all.

I'm still working on a sheet, by the way, I've just got a nice load of tests and other work this week. Just saying.

UnusualStranger:

Snip

Then I'll withdraw my application for now unless I can think of anything else.

drmigit2:
choppy

Despite the limited ability, I can't in good faith allow the teleport in. Your character is already gifted with a multitude of other powers, so I would hope that letting go of the short range teleport would work fair enough for you.

Though, the Planescape jumping I will continue to allow, as it does make it so your character already has an interesting way to escape, but it will require some amount of searching to manage it.

deathbydeath:
I'm still working on a sheet, by the way, I've just got a nice load of tests and other work this week. Just saying.

Fair enough, just make sure it doesn't take a couple weeks to get it done. Don't want to wait too long.

avouleance2nd:

Then I'll withdraw my application for now unless I can think of anything else.

Alright, if ya think of something new, just post it up and I will consider it once again.

In retrospect, I can't come up with a good character that would work in this RP. Given that I'd only be able to do this half-assed, I'd like to withdraw my semi-submission.

A little something I've been working on...

How's this?

This is still going on right?
Sorry but it's just been a few days since the last update.

However to stop this post being too short does anyone here want to set up some pre-RP stuff between characters? Providing I get in of course.

avouleance2nd:
This is still going on right?
Sorry but it's just been a few days since the last update.

However to stop this post being too short does anyone here want to set up some pre-RP stuff between characters? Providing I get in of course.

Yes, all is still going. And there is yet a concern with your character. HOW are they planetside? And lastly, what are the limits of their powers? With those two questions answered, I can start narrowing things down and get underway. Wanted to leave it a bit open for any other potentials, but that is coming to a close shortly.

UnusualStranger:
Yes, all is still going. And there is yet a concern with your character. HOW are they planetside? And lastly, what are the limits of their powers? With those two questions answered, I can start narrowing things down and get underway. Wanted to leave it a bit open for any other potentials, but that is coming to a close shortly.

I actually had a few questions of my own, and I wasn't sure whether I ought to ask them or not, but I may as well. Those being:

Just how many people were you hoping to have in this rp?

Were you going to be playing a character of your own?

And will language barrier be a problem, since a few seem to be aliens who just got planetside.

Anyway, I'm excited to see if I'm accepted, though if nothing else, this is sure to be an interesting rp for those that are!

[EDIT]: No clue why that quote didn't work at first.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here