The Heir Apparent: A Fantasy RP (Interest/Sign-up Thread -- APPLICATIONS CLOSED)

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Resting on the eastern shore of a continent built of frozen tundra and unforgiving high peaks, there is a swathe of land suitable for human habitation. A single nation, Hasthfold, occupies this zone. Blanketed in snow much of the year, with only fleeting springs and summers, it is a place of beauty tinged by a bitter chill. For centuries, the twelve duchies of Hathsfeld served faithfully as the vassals of the Royal Solari family, most recently King Vernon XII and his Queen, Macella. Alas, the King grew old, and though beloved he and his wife passed with no male heir. Only a single daughter, Lisbeth, was left to take the throne.

The girl was young, only eight years old, and met with suspicion by her subjects. Few felt such a child, passionate though she might be, was ready for the responsibility of ruling. None were more vocal in this matter than the Duke Colin of Faeborough. The head of the King's order of knights, and closer to Vernon's heart than any other, Colin felt that Lisbeth did not have the strength to hold their nation together. His protests grew more vocal, and soon others spoke alongside him.

Eventually, it came to a matter of arms. And the Duke was stronger.

Lisbeth was cast down from her throne, and fled into the far reaches of her nation, beyond the reach of her usurper. Now the Archduke, head of the twelve duchies, Colin set out to bring peace to his confused and frightened subjects and rule with the strength that his predecessor could not.

But some were not happy with this turn of events. Some questioned, "If there should be no King, no Queen, why should there be Dukes?"

The man who spoke this question the loudest was Renault Arche. Once a simple man, a mage risen to the rank of knight by his prowess at arms and his silver tongue. Now he found himself in a position to raise up all the downtrodden to the same level he had climbed to. He proposed a Parliament. A place where all people could come and be recognized as equals. His supporters swelled, and even several of the dukes came to fall under his sway. He went to war against the Archduke of Faeborough. A war that lasted ten long, bitter years. The kingdom felt the strain unto the point of breaking, until at the end Renault was backed to a corner. His supporters were battered and bruised, and ready to fall should the situation grow any more dire. But when the war seemed at its most inevitable conclusion, an unexpected combatant entered the fray.

The would-be Queen Lisbeth marched down from the mountains, with an army at her back. Fresh and eager, they laid waste to those who stood in their path, capturing a massive chunk of land in the first few weeks of battle. Blindsided and unable to fight a two-front war, both those of the Parliament and those of the Duchies entered a bitter truce, swearing no open conflict until Lisbeth was dead and her army broken. But this would not be an easy task. Lisbeth was a determined young woman, and had at her back many of the strongest knights in the kingdom, sworn in fealty to her and ready to help her reclaim her throne.

Among them is you.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Character Sheets

Criticisms given.

Comments/Concerns/Criticism/Suggestions Welcome. If anyone has any ideas for a shared back-story, let me know and I'll be happy to work with you.

Tell me if anything needs to be changed.

Tell me if I need to change something in the sheet.

Oh God, so much text. This'll take me a while.

Shares backstory with Hiei's character.

Hello, everybody! I'm the better half of this RP's illustrious pair of GMs, and I've taken it upon myself to test your applications... and feed on your sweet, sweet tears. I kid, of course.

Bitter tears taste just as good.

Anyway...

RuedyN:

Criticisms welcome.

Good, I was almost worried nobody wanted to play as a Paragon :)

A little succinct, but good otherwise. Fleshing out your bio a bit more would not be unwelcome.

hiei82:

Comments/Concerns/Criticism/Suggestions Welcome. If anyone has any ideas for a shared back-story, let me know and I'll be happy to work with you.

Edit: Shared back-story in progress; some character details are subject to change.

Excellent. I don't have much else to say about this sheet except to point out that there aren't any nations to the south of Hasthfold. My recommendation would be to change her family's country of origin to have been from across the sea.

HellsingerAngel:

Tell me if anything needs to be changed.

YOU LOSE. YOU GET NOTHING. GOOD DAY SIR. (Except a spot in the RP, cuz this sheet be bitchin'. That counts as something, I guess?)

Redryhno:

I'm not sure I understand what motivates Kallu to take a risk involved in standing behind the Queen. Is it mere patriotism? Why should he care who rules?

Wenseph:

Shares backstory with Hiei's character.

Fellow Outrider(Not to nitpick, but the names of the Orders are always capitalized)! I don't see any problems here.

Glasgow:

I was just as afraid nobody would want to play a Shade, considering they don't usually shoot fire from their hands or swing a sword larger than they are. Something about it not being subtle, I think...

This sheet also looks good.

Recruitment will likely be open a few days more, so keep those sheets coming in! I reserve the right to tell you how much they suck, as per usual.

Arcanist:
Excellent. I don't have much else to say about this sheet except to point out that there aren't any nations to the south of Hasthfold. My recommendation would be to change her family's country of origin to have been from across the sea.

Change made.

Arcanist:
Hello, everybody! I'm the better half of this RP's illustrious pair of GMs, and I've taken it upon myself to test your applications... and feed on your sweet, sweet tears. I kid, of course.

Bitter tears taste just as good.

Anyway...

Glasgow:

I was just as afraid nobody would want to play a Shade, considering they don't usually shoot fire from their hands or swing a sword larger than they are. Something about it not being subtle, I think...

This sheet also looks good.

Aww, no fire for me?

I do hope I get to assassinate some commanders or dukes during the game to tilt the balance of the powers.

Arcanist:
snip

Does he need a life-changing event to side with the Queen beyond,"Because he's more comfortable on her side" or "He wants to"?

Hmm, this looks interesting but I have some questions about magic, namely what sorts exist? I have a few ideas in mind, one of them being a necromancer, but for that to work I need to know if necromancy exists and what it can do. Beyond that is there summoning magic? Is magic divided into schools? If so what are they? Etc.

I don't want to be too picky about details, as you've clearly put a lot of work into the setting already, but I would like to know more about what magic is capable of.

It seems interesting, but I have some questions.

1. What would seer imply? Seeing the future, simply scanning the battlefield, what's the details?

2. How does the politics in this work? I'm thinking about having a character who has an interest in the political aspect of this, so knowing would be great.

3. Does all the Diviners have to have their work based around the power armor, or can one have a character who studies the magic itself? Because I imagine that people's research wouldn't be that limited, usually.

Edit: In case the last question is a bit badly worded: Basically, can I have a character that doesn't make power armors? Because:

"The Diviners are the least focused on martial prowess, instead devoting their lives to creating Armors that enhance one's ability to wield magic."

Makes it sound like they all work with building power armors. The character will of course have a power armor, and use it, just not build them.

Hey OP can I have more information on the religion of the world? I'am going to create a paragon character and more info on the religion would be helpful.

We'll get back to sheet critiques when a few more people have applied/edited as needed, but for now I'll answer a couple questions.

IFS:
Hmm, this looks interesting but I have some questions about magic, namely what sorts exist? I have a few ideas in mind, one of them being a necromancer, but for that to work I need to know if necromancy exists and what it can do. Beyond that is there summoning magic? Is magic divided into schools? If so what are they? Etc.

I don't want to be too picky about details, as you've clearly put a lot of work into the setting already, but I would like to know more about what magic is capable of.

Magic in this setting is a bit less strictly defined into "schools", but more of an open source that different Orders choose to utilize in different ways. I think the best way to describe it would be that it is drawn from a single font that humans are unaware of, but believe to be the Fae, and then imbued in life and nature. So it could be as varied as the creation and manipulation of plant life, to restoring health and repairing flesh, to the use of fire or the soil or even lightning.

Necromancy doesn't really fit in with the idea, as it's sort of antithetical to how magic is here. I think summoning would also be out, because there's not really an external place from which anything could be summoned. And summoning any wild animal doesn't particularly work, since it would still just be an uncontrolled animal.

DarkRawen:
It seems interesting, but I have some questions.

1. What would seer imply? Seeing the future, simply scanning the battlefield, what's the details?

2. How does the politics in this work? I'm thinking about having a character who has an interest in the political aspect of this, so knowing would be great.

3. Does all the Diviners have to have their work based around the power armor, or can one have a character who studies the magic itself? Because I imagine that people's research wouldn't be that limited, usually.

Edit: In case the last question is a bit badly worded: Basically, can I have a character that doesn't make power armors? Because:

"The Diviners are the least focused on martial prowess, instead devoting their lives to creating Armors that enhance one's ability to wield magic."

Makes it sound like they all work with building power armors. The character will of course have a power armor, and use it, just not build them.

1. Arcanist wrote that part, so he probably has a better idea of what's in mind than me, but I would say that it would be akin scrying. Whether by fixating on an object or a person, a Diviner could observe the state of the immediate surroundings of that target, which could be effective on a battlefield by observing landmarks near the enemy line. However, some Diviners that have studied for many years and have come closer to the source of magic than others might occasionally be touched by strange dreams or visions with some significance.

2. As it stands, the nation is in a very turbulent political state. Originally a monarchy, then switched over to a council of Dukes with one acting as a head and sort of prime minister, with a third faction vying for the implementing of a Parliament. The Dukes remaining on their own side are of varied opinions, but for the most part believe that they are the best option for effective rule of the state, and as such try to keep the status quo. Even so, political games are still present and most will subtly vie for favor by the largest number of peers as possible. He who is closest to Archduke Colin will surely possess greater favor and reward.

Then there's the two Dukes that have sided with Renault's revolution. They leave the Dukes in a tough spot, because they believe that Dukes are by birthright in a position of power that they are destined and qualified to hold. So vilifying these two would undermine their own authority, but they are still enemies in a war. So they're left being forced to recognize the authority of these two upstarts and still give them say in mattes of government, and must simply try to make sure none of their influence makes it into the decision-making process.

3. This part was poorly worded, and it's leading to a misunderstanding. All mages, by definition, possess an Armor. It has become an inseparable part of the "culture", so to speak. But the Diviners themselves don't actually make the Armor. That was referring to the style of Armor that Diviners usually field. Less focused on mobility and combat capability, and in turn capable of spitting out absurd levels of power. A Diviner's research is usually focused on studying the source of magic, and how it in turn effects various aspects of life.

Rogue Trooper:
Hey OP can I have more information on the religion of the world? I'am going to create a paragon character and more info on the religion would be helpful.

The religion here is something you could probably relate most closely to Deism. The Church of the White Sun, in a nutshell, believes that humanity is both the pinnacle and deepest pit of life. They don't know if there's a god of any sort, and if there is one they really don't care. In turn, they believe any god out there likely doesn't care much for them, either, considering the state of the world and the presence of debased evil within it. So they're dedicated to being a point of virtue from which all people can learn from and grow better through. To sum up, it would be "Do good and seek righteousness in all things, for if you do not seek it none else shall."

Trying to go for a mixture of a 40K space marine Chaplin and a Sigmar warrior priest, hope it is acceptable.

Done a bit more editing on the Bio and fixed some mistakes that where present throughout the document.

Here's my sheet, if you have any problems with it, let me know.

And here is my sheet, let me know if there are any problems with it.

Edit: fixed a weird text character that hadn't showed up in the preview or edit screen, and clarified how he tends to use elemental spells.

Constructive criticism is welcome, as always.

LAST EDIT - 10/03/13, 15:03 PM GMT: Expanded the Bio and added a little snippet about the Armour.

Questions based on sketchy decisions I made in the making of this (sorry if they have already been asked/answered):
1. Is it possible for a mage to control his/her armor while not "wearing" it?  I ask because the general vision was to have West sit/move around freely on top of it, similar to Merry/Pippin and Treebeard from the LotR movies.
2. How exactly does magic work outside of the armor?  The original vision for NW I came up with a while back was for a child survivalist druid.  In this particular RP, I was hoping for magic powers like plant manipulation, animal communication, and healing/bolstering spells.  Will West only be able to use these "inside" of his armor, or will they merely be less effective/efficient?
3. I know armor has to be crafted and super-special to the mage who made it, but since West's is basically a tree, and he (hopefully) has plant manipulation, could be manipulate his armor or even create a new one out of existing forests?
4. How does magic work here?  Is it a discipline learned through extensive study and practice, or can it be/is it obtained through birth/circumstances surrounding birth?  If both apply, then would natural mages already have a leg up on the boring scholars, assuming they keep up their studies?

Postscript: I'm really loving this concept and setting, by the way.  This RP is quite legitimate.

Post-Postscript: [Insert generic criticism request here]

On Last Postscript: I'm sorry about the random non-English characters, but I have no idea what the cause is.

deathbydeath:

Questions based on sketchy decisions I made in the making of this (sorry if they have already been asked/answered):
1. Is it possible for a mage to control his/her armor while not "wearing" it?  I ask because the general vision was to have West sit/move around freely on top of it, similar to Merry/Pippin and Treebeard from the LotR movies.
2. How exactly does magic work outside of the armor?  The original vision for NW I came up with a while back was for a child survivalist druid.  In this particular RP, I was hoping for magic powers like plant manipulation, animal communication, and healing/bolstering spells.  Will West only be able to use these "inside" of his armor, or will they merely be less effective/efficient?
3. I know armor has to be crafted and super-special to the mage who made it, but since West's is basically a tree, and he (hopefully) has plant manipulation, could be manipulate his armor or even create a new one out of existing forests?
4. How does magic work here?  Is it a discipline learned through extensive study and practice, or can it be/is it obtained through birth/circumstances surrounding birth?  If both apply, then would natural mages already have a leg up on the boring scholars, assuming they keep up their studies?

Postscript: I'm really loving this concept and setting, by the way.  This RP is quite legitimate.

Post-Postscript: [Insert generic criticism request here]

On Last Postscript: I'm sorry about the random non-English characters, but I have no idea what the cause is.

Starting with your sheet - the big problem is his age. The Outriders were all but wiped out ten years from the start of the RP, meaning he would have been two years old at best when there were Outriders available to take him in. The 20~ some that remain are all drifters, hermits and mercenaries with no central governing body, no facilities, and no real support.

Long story short, he's far too young. A more realistic age would be in his early to mid twenties. I MIGHT be willing to extend that into his late teens if he's a prodigy, but it's a bit of a stretch.

As for your questions -

1. No. You need to be wearing it.

2. Yes, you can use magic outside your Armor. This goes for every player - you're all wizards of one sort or another, so you don't NEED your Armor to use magic. Generally, only the Diviners build their Armor to amplify magical ability(the others focus on using it for martial prowess), but mystic Outriders do exist much in the manner you describe. In fact, spoiler alert, it's quite likely you'll see Mathias speaking to animals and in general being quite 'druidy' in one of the introductory posts. :)

3. Manipulating his Armor would absolutely be within the realm of his ability, but the creation of an Armor is an involved and difficult process, so no. You can't build one from random trees.

4. A little bit of both. Magic comes from the Fae(if the Diviners are to be believed, at least), and it's a fickle source, to be sure. As a general rule, you can think of magic being a talent like any other - some are good at it, others aren't. But, just like learning to swing a sword or command an army, there's quite a bit of wiggle room for less talented folks that really devote themselves to their studies. Talent helps, but it's (usually) not a be-all end-all.

It's a little late, I suppose, but better late then never, right?

Feel free to criticize or complain.

Sorry it's so late. Criticize away.

Edit: I don't know what the hell was showing up originally, but the problem's fixed now.

Hey, so every time I try and get a sheet critique out I notice that, like, two new sheets have popped up.

Just a notice that nobody's being ignored, it's just taking a little while. Never imagined we'd have this many applicants! Going to get a round of critiques up ASAP, hopefully tomorrow at the latest.

CJ1145:
Hey, so every time I try and get a sheet critique out I notice that, like, two new sheets have popped up.

Just a notice that nobody's being ignored, it's just taking a little while. Never imagined we'd have this many applicants! Going to get a round of critiques up ASAP, hopefully tomorrow at the latest.

Since you have such a large number of applicants, you could close the thread to new characters. Probably not now, since it wouldn't be fair to people who may be working on character sheets, but in 24 hours or so. That way, you won't have to deal with any new characters; only updates to existing ones.

CJ1145:

pleasepleaseplease ignore Hiei, if you will. I'm working on a brand spankin' new character, as the issue with West's age made me scrap the character rather than rework him. Other things as well complicated the matter, like contracting a mildly fatal disease and still having to do shit while about as healthy as a dead cat. Still, though, a new sheet is coming.

CJ1145:

Damn OP hurry up, this wait is killing me man.

CJ1145:

Well if you've got room for one more, I'll have a sheet up soon.

I'll have a sheet up within an hour or two! :D
(It seems your being buried alive under a mountain of applicants so whats one more?!)

One quick but important announcement -

We will be open to new sheets only until the end of the day tomorrow. If you get one in before then, you'll have more time to modify it as needed or desired up until we accept our crop of players.

Fantasy mechas!? Give me an hour or 2, I'll have something.

Capcha: Long Division, something rather similar to what I'm supposed to be doing now.

EDIT: Dreadfully sorry for asking this, but would you be so kind as to delay judging until I have a sheet up? I've been offline for a while due to business and haven't had time to check for RPs. It will most definitely be up by tomorrow at some point, so the wait won't be long.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked