Hereticus: A Warhammer 40000 RP (Closed, Started)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Emperor of Mankind has sat immobile on the Golden Throne of Earth. He is the master of mankind by the will of the gods and master of a million worlds by the might of his inexhaustible armies. He is a rotting carcass writhing invisibly with power from the Dark Age of Technology. He is the Carrion Lord of the vast Imperium of Man for whom a thousand souls are sacrificed every day so that he may never truly die.

Yet even in his deathless state, the Emperor continues his eternal vigilance. Mighty battlefleets cross the daemon-infested miasma of the Warp, the only route between distant stars, their way lit by the Astronomican, the psychic manifestation of the Emperor's will. Vast armies give battle in His name on uncounted worlds. Greatest amongst his soldiers are the Adeptus Astartes, the Space Marines, bio-engineered super-warriors. Their comrades in arms are legion: the Imperial Guard and countless planetary defence forces, the ever-vigilant Inquisition and the tech-priests of the Adeptus Mechanicus to name only a few.

But for all their multitudes, they are barely enough to hold off the ever-present threat to humanity from aliens, heretics, mutants -- and far, far worse. To be a man in such times is to be one amongst untold billions. It is to live in the cruelest and most bloody regime imaginable. These are the tales of those times.

Forget the power of technology and science, for so much has been forgotten, never to be relearned. Forget the promise of progress and understanding, for in the grim dark future there is only war. There is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter, and the laughter of thirsting gods.

There is no such thing as innocence. Only degrees of guilt.

The planet Tarsus, Moridan Sector, Segmentum Pacificus.

The year 40,865

Two walked through the dark, shattered remains of what had once been a great bastion of the Human race. One of them was clearly not Human - not entirely, standing well over eight feet tall, made even more imposing by the crimson armor of ceramite and adamantium that sheathed his body, his face concealed behind a grim-looking helmet. All who looked upon him - whether loyal, traitor, or xeno would know him for what he was - an Adeptus Astartes, a Space Marine, the Emperor's Angels of Death. The other was even less Human, his - or her - body replaced almost entirely with gray metal and at places exposed circuitry, with four great metal tentacles sprouting from its back. A hood shadowed the cyborg's face, with a pair of blue-white lights shining from under it. Like the Marine, this man was also easily recognizable by sight, a Techpriest of Mars.

"I am glad you were able to accept my invitation at such short notice, Captain." The Techprist said, his voice filled with buzzes and clicks as the gears and actuators of his voice moved into place.

"Your offer was too generous to resist. First look at the inside..." The Marine shook his head. "This discovery will change the fate of the Moridan Sector."

"I certainly hope so." Their path through the tunnel came to a halt as they stepped in front of a door of black metal, with a massive sigil emblazoned upon it, a seal depicting a single solid circle with three hollow circles surrounding it. Words were written around it in a strange language.

"That symbol, those words?"

"The symbol signifies energy. As for the words, they are a very early High Gothic. Rough translation, Through Struggle to the Stars. Shall we?" At the Marine's curt nod, the Techpriest approached a console beside the door and inserted one of his tentacles. "There is still power. One moment, the door will open momentarily." The Techpriest stood back from the door, while the Marine reached down to his side and the bolt pistol holstered there as hydraulics heaved and the massive door slowly slid upwards, allowing entrance into a hall that belied the untouched door.

Corpses were strewn everywhere - only bones now after so many years, but still clad in the tattered and shredded remains of their clothing - some in armor of metal and ceramic, others in white coats and black suits. "It appears that this bunker was breached at some point."

"No, no." The Techpriest didn't seem bothered. "We've examined the exterior quite carefully. There are no signs of breaching. Whatever took place here was internal, not external."

The Marine subvocalized a message, then tilted his head. "Strange. Something is interfering with my communications."

"It's most likely the metal content of this moon. Let's proceed, whatever caused this is long since dead."

Marine and Techpriest entered the bunker. Bodies were all too common, and the walls were crumpled or blasted through, while many of the soldiers or guards in their armor appeared to have been torn through by some kind of massive claw or force. Step by step they ventured deeper into the wreckage, and as they descended further the carnage lessened before stopping entirely. It took some hours before they finally came to the core of the facility, a sealed door with the same sigil as the entrance door and similar runes scratched underneath it. The Techpriest hooked up to the console.

"There's a lockout in place. The door won't open."

"Easily corrected." The Marine reached to his side and withdrew a sword, flicking a switch to wreath it in coruscating blue energy, then plunged it into the door, the metal distorting and twisting around it until the door hissed as the seal was broken, the Marine heaving it open.

Inside was surprisingly empty and benign. Two metallic structures, one from the ceiling and the other from the floor, meeting in the center to clutch a pyramid-shaped object roughly the size of a man's fist, shifting in color from one moment to the next, one moment a dark purple shot through with lightning, the next a sickly grey-green, and a heartbeat later a bright, shining white.

"Remarkable..."

"What is it?"

The Techpriest made a faint buzzing sound, as if trying and failing to approximate a chuckle. "I haven't the faintest idea." He reached out to remove it, a crackling sound faintly audible as his metal fingers brushed the surface of the artifact.

A single thought of heresy can blight a lifetime of faithful duty.

One hundred and thirty-five years later, 001M42, the height of the Thirteenth Black Crusade

Aboard Gothic-Class Cruiser Gaunt , in orbit around Hive World Desolous, Moridan Sector, Segmentum Pacificus

Captain Isaiah Hoss stepped onto the bridge of his cruiser, nodding curtly to his officers. "Are we prepared to enter the Warp, Navigator?"

The Navigator didn't look away, just continued her focusing. "The preparations are complete...Captain."

A dull throbbing ache began in the Captain's head, like someone was grinding their thumb into his forehead. He ignored it. "Very well, then, be-" His words were cut off as the Navigator grabbed her head and doubled over, screaming in agony, blood running from her eyes, nose and ears, bloody spots forming on the bandana that covered her third eye.

"C-Captain, something's happening!"

Hoss stared out into space as space itself pulsated before seeming to tear apart into a field of swirling green fire, thousands of kilometers across. A massive spike, akin to the cruiser that he stood upon but a dozen times larger and covered in nightmarish, twisted growths, from patches that looked to be flesh twisted and morphed, covered in teeth and claws and cancerous tumors, to random assortments of jagged blades, curling tentacles, and massive altars to the Ruinous Powers emerged from the rip in space, flanked by numerous smaller ships.

"Oh, no."

Those were the Captain's last words.

Four months later.

Liberation Fleet Damnatus Infernus, en route to Hive World Desolous

"For those of you who don't know me, my name is Tatiana Markarova, Inquisitor, Ordo Hereticus."

"The situation is as follows." A woman spoke, clad in an open greatcoat with black carapace armor under it, the sigil of the Inquisition on her chest. "After the warp portal opened over Desolous, Chaotic forces began an invasion on the planet. Initial warp disturbance prevented astropathic messages for some weeks, delaying the formation and deployment of the Liberation fleet considerably. As it stands, Desolous is nearly fallen, with nearly all of the landmass under Chaos control. The only bastion remaining is Hive Veridan in the extreme north of the world."

She was addressing a room of irregulars - psykers, soldiers, mercenaries, techpriests, battle-sisters, and numerous others. "The Liberation Fleet, along with a number of Kroot mercenary companies will be landing in that vicinity to assist in securing them, while the Freebootas commanded by Kaptin Zogovv will land..." The Inquisitor sighed. "Wherever they decide to...can't believe we're desperate enough to hire Orks." She shook her head.

"That is not our mission. Desolous' fate is in their hands. Our objective is to close that portal and ensure that it does not happen again. We will be penetrating Chaos-controlled territory and ascertaining the leader of this incursion and what means they used to create this portal."

"The Navigators estimate we will exit the Warp inside of one week. Prepare yourselves."

Thought begets Heresy. Heresy begets Retribution.

Ohhhhhhhh dayum. I've been on a 40k kick recently, though what I know of it comes from the Dark Heresy pen and paper set. But What the hell I'll give it a shot. Gimme a bit to do some research and I'll have a sheet up.

Much like sage, I've been on a bit of a 40K binge recently. I got some stuff to do tonight, but soon I'll probably have a sheet up.

Welp here we go. Might wright up a History bit later. I would have posted this erlier, but TvTropes enslaved me for a while.

Appearance is kind of necessary, Sage. No time crunch, though.

This will be fun. :P

*facepalm* See this is what happens when you try to make a character and surf TvTropes at the same time. I'll get that fixed.....probably tomorrow. Or today depending on your timezone.

Wait, we're allied with Orks?
Fucking Matt Ward......

Anyway, so many choices. Should I roll up a Battle Sister? Rip off Be inspired by Uber Aemos? A Catachan? A Commissar? A Catachan Commissar?

Probably a Commissar. Be expecting a sheet.

Freebootaz, yes. They're awesome. Completely ridiculous, but awesome.

Also, Catachan Commissars kind of have a tendency to get fragged, y'know.

Und dere ve go. Appearance updated. Dunno why I started this post the way I did it just sorta happened.

I hate to double post but I question popped up and I have to ask before I forget. Tell me Prince, how do you feel about multiple characters?

I'm fine with you submitting them, but I only want a limited number of characters so if we get a bunch of good applicants I might reject some of your characters. Go ahead, though, at the rate of submissions we'll probably have a few open slots, and I'm going for a reasonably large party.

Awesome, I don't worry as of right now sister Helena is my main character so if I can only get one character through it'll be her. I'm gonna submit these on the slim chance we don't get as many as you would like, or at least until we can get others. Either or. Anyway gonna try and get Freeboota Ork up. Might be kinda fun to play a guy who thinks his stikkbomm will give of a bigga 'splosion if it's yellow, and then it does.

And here we go, a 2nd character. This is actually my character in the Dark Heresy Campaign a couple of friends and I are playing right now, with a few edits to make her work here.

The History should be read with a somewhat strong Texan accent.

I might come by and edit it when I get a few more ideas.

Alright, I joined the last one before it stalled, so tentatively count me in for this one. I'm thinking tech-priest.

I don't know too much about 40k, so I may need some lessons down the line. Should be good for now. Criticisms and such welcome.

Those of you making Orks, or who are planning to make Orks, bear in mind that they are the comic relief. Basically, if I don't find your bio funny, you're probably not getting in, and Orks that aren't intended to be humorous are kind of missing the whole point.

Edited now that I've had some time to reflect

Question: Where on the Puritan-Radical scale is our dear Markarova? She's allied with Orks currently, and other xenos and psykers are allowed, but the flavor text you've spattered around the OP leave a pretty Puritan impression.

Also: A Catachan Commissar probably wouldn't work, but not for the reasons you mentioned. Catachans don't foreigners, especially those who order them around. While I don't think there are any rules barring Catachans from becoming Commissars, being a "Catachan" or deathworlder in general is a matter of where you were raised and not of heritage. Most Commissars are trained at scholas (schools), beginning at relatively young ages. Because of that, by the time you've properly survived growing up on a death world, you're probably too old to go to Commissar school.

Purtian/Radical isn't a sliding scale. Some of her beliefs are a bit radical, some are quite puritanical. She has no tolerance for Chaos - Daemon weapons and Daemonhosts are all out. On the other hand, if she can make use of Xenos to achieve her objectives she'll do it. Strictly speaking, she's not allied with the Orks in this case, Segmentum Command contacted Kaptin Zogovv to get more boots on the ground after this incursion started, what with the Imperium sort of in dire straits what with Abaddon wreaking havoc at Cadia, the Tau in the middle of the Third Sphere Expansion, and Hive Fleet Leviathan rolling into town.

Kroot were also hired, but I don't think we're going to get any apps for them.

But yeah, the alliance with the Freebootaz and to a lesser extent the Kroot is very much an alliance of convenience. Zogovv and the Kroot aren't threats to the entire Segmentum. This Warp Portal and the forces coming from it are.

Ah man I really want to use a space marine character that I've had in the works for a while...But maybe another time.

Eh, I meant "allies" according to that heinous Wardian chart.

The reason I asked about the Puritan/Radical dichotomy is because one of my characters (preferably) uses a "Perinetus-pattern" bolter, because the way it operates fits him. Interestingly enough, though, some Mechanicus dudes consider use of the gun heresy, for dubious reasons.

Also, when is recruitment ending (assuming interest hits the desired mark)? Things are kicking into high gear for me, and sheet production conspicuously drops around those times.

Also also, what is the character limit (I'm kicking around three right now)?

I haven't set a date. Three characters sounds like a good max, but just bear in mind that I might only accept one - given a choice between your second character and someone elses' first and equally good character, I'm going to go with that other person's character.

As for that, considering it's only considered heretical by some members of the Adeptus Mechanicus who are themselves only a small albeit crucial part of the Imperium, I don't think you need to be concerned about it.

PrinceOfShapeir:

Kaptin Zogovv

As I am already channeling my character, as usually happens when I wright a new sheet, you do know that "Zogovv" means "go away [insulting or informal]", right?

Dose wurds. Go Away. I wants ya ta be faemuss fer dose egsakt wurds. Oi wants da boyz ta call ya Kaptin Zogovv. I wants da littul wunz laffin owtsidez ya daw, cuz dey just foundz da hows a' Kaptin Zogovv!

On the subject, I assume Zogovv is from the bloodaxe clan, due to the fact that he's currently hob-nobbin wif da humiez?

Made a bit of an edit to Sister Helena. Nothing much really, but it will allow me to go with something easier to RP in the future.

Alright, my first and preferred sheet is here, and I hope the muses for the other two are timely this time.

Insert a generic criticism request here, and I believe we're good.

This is still happening right?

Can you give me any tips on how to write a character history?
I'd like to write one but I'm not sure how.
Anyways, here's everything else about my character.

EDIT: I've made a couple of small equipment/appearance changes, and added a short history explaining his equipment, skills, and position.

PrinceOfShapeir:
Purtian/Radical isn't a sliding scale. Some of her beliefs are a bit radical, some are quite puritanical. She has no tolerance for Chaos - Daemon weapons and Daemonhosts are all out. On the other hand, if she can make use of Xenos to achieve her objectives she'll do it. Strictly speaking, she's not allied with the Orks in this case, Segmentum Command contacted Kaptin Zogovv to get more boots on the ground after this incursion started, what with the Imperium sort of in dire straits what with Abaddon wreaking havoc at Cadia, the Tau in the middle of the Third Sphere Expansion, and Hive Fleet Leviathan rolling into town.

Kroot were also hired, but I don't think we're going to get any apps for them.

But yeah, the alliance with the Freebootaz and to a lesser extent the Kroot is very much an alliance of convenience. Zogovv and the Kroot aren't threats to the entire Segmentum. This Warp Portal and the forces coming from it are.

Ahem...
You now have a Kroot app.
Because Kroot are awesome.
I'm having trouble coming up with a history though.

I think Kittokh has worked with humans before, more specifically with the Vostroyan Spetsnaz, who he got a lot of his arsenal from, nice guys, more sane than most of the humans, good eating.

So are we still doing this?

Hope this is oke and this is still alive because you can't have a inquisitorial retinue without someone preaching the Holy Imperial Truth and just being a bother about it to the rest of the group.

Also just to let you know before hand, I am Dutch and got dyslexia.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked