'The Pit: Hell Frozen Over' - Recruitment Thread, Arc 2 (Open for Guerrilla characters only)

Title: 'The Pit: Hell Frozen Over' - A Post-Apocalyptic Survival RP

Setting/Background: The year is estimated to be 2350 AD. Mankind has, marginally, weathered the storm of a Cataclysm that occurred at some point in the mid-21st Century. Records are sketchy as to what the specifics of said apocalyptic events were. Some blame an asteroid strike, others a super-volcano. Perhaps it was a viral pandemic, or perhaps it was simply the natural order of things, civilisation reaching its apex, resources dwindling and failing to meet demand, resulting in all-out war between global powers for what remained as the world died around them. What we do know, is that by the end of the 21st Century, the global population had plummeted from well over 7 billion, to a little less than 600 million.

Now that the worst of the carnage has passed, society is gingerly rebuilding itself on a global scale. However, this new-found peace rests on a delicate balance, as there are some who thrived in the chaos of humanity's downfall, and don't want to see the return to an order that has the power to deny their appetites. Dynamics have changed, and as the Cataclysm brought ruin to established global powers, rendering most national borders irrelevant, the opportunity arose for more enterprising and more flexible organisations to take advantage of the chaos. These entities moved fast to secure fossil fuels and other vital minerals, so that when the dust settled, humanity emerged to find itself utterly dependent on these new giants for their survival.

One such giant is the Prospector/PMC/Private Prison Authority Venture Horizon, who succeeded in acquiring most of the previously untapped mineral wealth in the Arctic and Far-Northern Hemisphere. Because of this, they are now undisputed as the largest global power known to exist, and every fledgling nation in the hemisphere is utterly beholden to them for the energy and the materials required build humanity back up to its former greatness. Venture however, is not a charity, and in the new world, paper money does not suit their needs...

Venture conducts its business as such: The nations who are contracted to it provide Venture with free labour for its mines (in the form of 'Inmates'), and soldiers for its private army (in the form of 'Wardens'), in exchange for Oil, Natural Gas, and other vital minerals extracted from its Resource Acquisition and Criminal Detention Installations (or RACDI's).

It is both on, and within, one of these installations that our story is set. A vast, sprawling complex largely dug beneath the ice and permafrost of Siberia. It is regarded as both the largest mining operation, and the most horrific prison on Earth. Its official name is RACDI-Alpha, but those who toil, kill, and die within its depths know it simply as 'The Pit'.

In theory, 'The Pit' and all its sister installations are explained by Venture, and by those who condemn their citizens to them, as a necessary evil. They are places where the worst that the human race has to offer, people who are beyond rehabilitation, can be removed to until true law can be established. As the rhetoric of world governments would tell you, these beasts conspired to keep the world locked in the Dark Ages with their lawlessness, and know they repay their debt by supplying the bricks and mortar from which true Order and Justice will be built anew (this also conveniently glosses over the horrific conditions of 'The Pit', and the atrocities that are part of day to day life there). Indeed, many denizens of 'The Pit' are exactly what they are made out to be, feral maniacs and calculating terrorists. However, that isn't the whole story. There are many others in 'The Pit' who are political prisoners, made to disappear by corrupt and prejudiced governments; some are falsely accused, and some have simply been put there because the powers at be didn't have anywhere else to send them.

Survival is hard. Escape is next to impossible, and the few who leave are never the same again. Welcome... and God help you.

For those who, understandably, don't want to read through 12 pages of RP, here's a summary of the story so far in Arc 1.

Here's a template for what we need for a character sheet. Feel free to submit as many different characters as you like. However, keep in mind that even if you are accepted as a participant, some of your suggestions for characters may not make the cut.

Here are my two character sheets from Arc 1, as well as the two more I will be introducing in Arc 2.

My Inmate...

My Warden...

My Executive...

Finally, here is my Guerrilla...

Thank you for reading, and I hope we've caught your interest! Any questions that you have are welcomed by either me or my Co-GM, Fappy. :)

Ran this through Ninja already but posting here for Fappy and my other fellow Wardens/inmates

I always welcome critique, suggestions or advice

Also can I fit in a Guerrilla character later?

Mr.Ivebeenframed:
Ran this through Ninja already but posting here for Fappy and my other fellow Wardens/inmates

As Guerrilla characters won't be introduced until Arc 2 - Chapter 2, I'll probably keep this recruitment open for them even after everyone else has already been locked in or out, so you've got plenty of time. :)

Edit: Also, I need a rank for Lewis, but otherwise I have no complaints.

Here's an updated sheet for Lucia:

Here's my new inmate:

Mr.Ivebeenframed:

I like them both. I'm already forming ideas >:D

I also have an idea for a warden that I will have to post at another time.

NinjaDeathSlap:
sniperoo

I'll just post that sheet I sent you a while back in case it's lost:

Here's my Guerrilla character:

Mr.Ivebeenframed:
Here's my Guerrilla character:

Tell me if I need to edit or change something.

It could use more detail on how he managed to get from South America, all the way to the Caucasus (it's not clear where RACDI-Sierra is supposed to be). Other than that, I like it.

I'm pretty interested to see how the Guerrilla aspect of the story will play out. It'll be cool to try to connect the mood/feel of the story between what is essentially two completely different narratives.

Not to be a bother but any idea when we might start Arc 2?

Mr.Ivebeenframed:
Not to be a bother but any idea when we might start Arc 2?

Well, I anticipate Arc 1 ending within the next few days, but even I'd still like to have recruiting open for at least a week after that. Then when that's done and characters are chosen we'll talk about a set start date.

I'll have 3 characters (an exec, a warden, and an inmate) up in 24 hours.

willofbob:
I'll have 3 characters (an exec, a warden, and an inmate) up in 24 hours.

Cheers :) I was getting worried that there was no exec sheets yet.

These are very rough, and I didn't finish the Warden. Tommorrow, maybe.

willofbob:

I like both the characters and I look forward to seeing your Warden sheet. :)

Could perhaps use another draft for Penn, as some stuff about his background isn't very clear (who/what are 'Prospector'? What do they do? etc.), but there's definitely a lot of potential here.

ProtoChimp:

Good job. :)

We've almost got enough sheets to start choosing now, I'm just waiting for one more that I know is on the way, and hopefully we'll get at least one more exec sheet. After that, I can get on with rounding off Arc 1.

Here's my exec sheet. I decided that three characters wasn't enough :P

Also I'm assuming that Selina is the Chief Executive Officer to the group so correct me if I'm wrong or she had another title.

NinjaDeathSlap:

willofbob:

I like both the characters and I look forward to seeing your Warden sheet. :)

Could perhaps use another draft for Penn, as some stuff about his background isn't very clear (who/what are 'Prospector'? What do they do? etc.), but there's definitely a lot of potential here.

Sorry, been outa town for a few days without a proper internet connection. Prospector was one of the names you gave for the Megacorp in the OP, but I'll try to clarify the background a bit more. Warden up soon, for realsies this time.

I almost have my character up for show Ninja, just been putting the finishing touches to the back story, should have it up some time today.

willofbob:
snip

To clarify, 'Prospector' wasn't actually the name of the company, but rather just a description of one of their activities (locating and acquiring natural resources). Venture Horizon is the only name they have. It's not major though, and I look forward to seeing your Warden.

Evrant:

It's good. Thanks. :) Like I told you before, I hope to have the shortlist of characters joining the RP up by the end of this week, and after that it will only be a few days at most before we can all jump into Arc 2!

I have a few questions.
Are we all playing as the people who are trying to escape the pit not matter our occupation?
Will there PvP elements due to some players being Wardens and others being Inmates?
What Role would executives have other thankeeping an eye on Jin-Oh
Will players other than yourself be in control of multiple characters?

I'm realy interested in this RP, the story is really cool, I'm just a little confused on the eoles I could play.

MisterLillie:
I have a few questions.
Are we all playing as the people who are trying to escape the pit not matter our occupation?
Will there PvP elements due to some players being Wardens and others being Inmates?

I'm realy interested in this RP, the story is really cool, I'm just a little confused on the eoles I could play.

1) No. The group that is in the process of escaping The Pit is made up entirely of Inmates, and all the key characters in that group are already assigned. However, don't think that means newcomers will be missing out on the action, there'll be plenty to go around. ;)

2) There are PvP elements (and it's not necessarily across Warden/Inmate divides, we've had plenty of examples of Inmates fighting Inmates and Wardens fighting Wardens). However, up to this point they've been heavily scripted, with the outcome largely predetermined by the story beforehand. This wasn't originally what I had wanted, so things may get more fluid the more characters enter the RP, I can't say right now. Just bare in mind that, even with the scripted nature of the RP so far being taken into consideration, no character is safe. When it serves the story, any character can die at any time.

3) Operation Borealis has/is going to lead to some sweeping changes in the way RACDI-Alpha operates, and will be costing Venute Horizon considerable time and resources in the process. The job of the Executives is to ensure that the eventual benefits of these changes are going to be worth what they are costing in the short term. They observe and supervise, making shore that said changes are implemented efficiently; enforced appropriately, and most importantly, will contribute to the continued profitability of RACDI-Alpha.

Lee severely undermined Venture's authority when he took matters into his own hands. However, they're willing to let that slide provided Lee remains the best man for the job, and that his Grand Plans include a payoff for them at some point. The previous system was broken and they knew it, they were just too nervous and bloated to do anything meaningful about it. Now something meaningful has been done about it, it's the Executive's job to make sure that upsetting the status quo will eventually be worth it for Venture Horizon. Any more detail than that I can't really elaborate on at this time, but suffice to say that Selina, as the Team Leader, will manage what other Executives are doing.

4) Yes. Many already are. I prefer it when players have multiple characters, as it gives them insurance if you like, that they're not going to be out of action for the rest of the Arc if just one of their characters is killed off. Submit as many sheets as you feel comfortable with (though whatever you do, do it quickly because I want to start winding down this round of recruitment asap), and I will accept as many as I feel comfortable with.

I hope I've answered you to the best of my ability. Thank you for your interest, and the compliment. :)

NinjaDeathSlap:

MisterLillie:
I have a few questions.

1) No. The group that is in the process of escaping The Pit is made up entirely of Inmates, and all the key characters in that group are already assigned. However, don't think that means newcomers will be missing out on the action, there'll be plenty to go around. ;)

2) There are PvP elements (and it's not necessarily across Warden/Inmate divides, we've had plenty of examples of Inmates fighting Inmates and Wardens fighting Wardens). However, up to this point they've been heavily scripted, with the outcome largely predetermined by the story beforehand. This wasn't originally what I had wanted, so things may get more fluid the more characters enter the RP, I can't say right now. Just bare in mind that, even with the scripted nature of the RP so far being taken into consideration, no character is safe. When it serves the story, any character can die at any time.

3) Operation Borealis has/is going to lead to some sweeping changes in the way RACDI-Alpha operates, and will be costing Venute Horizon considerable time and resources in the process. The job of the Executives is to ensure that the eventual benefits of these changes are going to be worth what they are costing in the short term. They observe and supervise, making shore that said changes are implemented efficiently; enforced appropriately, and most importantly, will contribute to the continued profitability of RACDI-Alpha.

Lee severely undermined Venture's authority when he took matters into his own hands. However, they're willing to let that slide provided Lee remains the best man for the job, and that his Grand Plans include a payoff for them at some point. The previous system was broken and they knew it, they were just too nervous and bloated to do anything meaningful about it. Now something meaningful has been done about it, it's the Executive's job to make sure that upsetting the status quo will eventually be worth it for Venture Horizon. Any more detail than that I can't really elaborate on at this time, but suffice to say that Selina, as the Team Leader, will manage what other Executives are doing.

4) Yes. Many already are. I prefer it when players have multiple characters, as it gives them insurance if you like, that they're not going to be out of action for the rest of the Arc if just one of their characters is killed off. Submit as many sheets as you feel comfortable with (though whatever you do, do it quickly because I want to start winding down this round of recruitment asap), and I will accept as many as I feel comfortable with.

I hope I've answered you to the best of my ability. Thank you for your interest, and the compliment. :)

You have answered all my questions very well, thank you. So much so that you have peaked my interest even more. Unfortunately, for the fear of losing a character I would spend so much time creating and developing over the course of the RP, I will be passing on this one. Very cool setting though, have fun.

NinjaDeathSlap:

1) What if, given recent events in the plan, my character (if she gets in that is) decided that now might be a good time to leave?

2) Thing is, I don't want my character to die.

Evrant:
snip

I'm not saying there won't be any other escape attempts in the future, just that you can't have a character who is involved in the current escape, as I'd like to have anyone who isn't already controlled by a player in that group stay an NPC. Although, I'd ask you to at least hold off for a while in that regard, because it would be pretty pointless for your character to be introduced just so they can immediately try to leave, and Warden's wouldn't need to escape anyway.

I try my hardest to make sure that no-one gets shafted unfairly through my decisions as GM, and it's worked so far. Characters have died, but so far only when it was vital to the plot and when everyone involved was in agreement. I'm not just going to kill your character off without any explanation and then tell you to deal with it.

That said, I still reserve the right as GM to make those kind of decisions when I feel it's right to do so. I want the RP to have real tension and suspense, something that will be compromised if any characters are designated as being 'too important to die'. I don't want to be in charge of the kind of RP where people think they're invincible, so are confident in doing stupid things that may have a negative impact on other players and the story as a whole. No-one gets to God Mode, that's all I'm saying. If you get your character into a situation where it would require something ridiculous pulled out of my arse to keep them alive, then they're probably going to die. Same goes for me and Fappy. Just because we're GM's doesn't mean that our characters get special consideration.

Okay, Warden drafted. I've made changes to the Oliver Penn sheet as well, if you haven't checked.
Samantha is a lot more flawed than the others, and, should she be accepted, her arc will mostly involve learning to aim higher.

Okay, I now have my shortlist of characters who I think are most suitable. Once I've run it by Fappy to see if any last minute alterations will be made or not, I'll post the results up here. Once I've done that, recruitment will be over for all except Guerrilla characters, whereupon I'll invite all newcomers into the User Group, and from then on it will hopefully be next to no time at all before we can get Arc 2 underway. :)

Thank you very much everyone who has made the effort to put forward your ideas. Although this process took a lot longer than I'd hoped, I think we ended up with a lot of potential here.

Right, here's the shortlist of characters who have made the cut, bearing in mind that this recruitment will be staying open exclusively for Guerrilla characters for some time yet, as the Guerrilla's don't get introduced into the story until Chapter 2 of Arc 1. Please bear in mind that any characters that have been passed over could have been for a number of reasons, and it doesn't necessarily mean that they were bad and we didn't like them. As I said to people on the first round of recruiting, if you wish you can hold on to those character sheets and submit them again next round, where they might be a better fit for the story.

New Inmates: - 'Neil "The Reaper" Toombs' (Fappy)

- 'Agatha "Aggie" Moore' (Mr.Ivebeenframed)

- 'Felix "Theo" Maccalion' (ProtoChimp)

- 'Oliver Penn' (willofbob)

New Wardens: - 'Ln Cpl. Lewis Moore' (Mr.Ivebeenframed)

- '2nd Lt. Clementina Abreu' (ProtoChimp)

- 'Abigail Nyte' (Evrant)

Executives: - 'Selina Hernandez' (me)

- 'Dr. Simon Olivander' (willofbob)

- 'Richard "Richie" Lu' (Mr.Ivebeenframed)

Guerrillas (so far): - 'The Talon' (me)

- 'Riley Creed' (Binnsyboy)

Thank you very much for all your submissions. I will be following up this post by inviting all newcomers into our RP User Group. :)

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked