Swordmasters: The Grandest of Tournaments (REBOOT, CLOSED)

THE CALL GOES OUT

In a space beyond time and understanding, there are only concepts. Ideas and dreams. But they are gone now. They are decimated, and sliced into imperceptible pieces. Only one concept remains. The Concept of the Blade. The Supreme Sword. This being has destroyed all others and has become the only denizen of its realm. Nothing was so great at the art of total destruction. And now, with nothing left to destroy, the Sword has dulled. It has become bored, and disturbed by the loneliness of its existence. It has always been the master of destruction, but now it shall try its hand at something new: creation.

Where no space should be, after countless attempts the Sword has succeeded. A small realm, woven expertly between the uncounted material planes of other dimensions and universes. The Sword had asked itself, "If I were to create, what would I create? And for what purpose?"

It finally had its answer. It had created the ultimate arena. It would be the Master of Ceremonies to the greatest fighting tournament of all time. And it already knew who the contestants would be. The greatest swordsmen of all time, drawn from every world and every moment in time. It now only had to extend its invitation...

It called out to all who would be worthy of hearing its message.

"Swordmasters, I call to you from beyond time and space. I am the ultimate in the ideal of the blade. I am the Supreme Sword, whose edge has no equal. By your convictions, your strength of personality, and above all your skill with the blade, I have reached out to you in extension of an invitation. Should you accept it, you shall become entrants in the grandest tournament that you shall ever see. You will fight unto death against opponents who shall provide you with a challenge unlike any you have experienced. And should you persevere and emerge victorious, I promise you the greatest privileges and fame that a swordsman could ever dream of. There may even be other awards awaiting those who perform exceptionally well. To find out, all you must do is state your intention to compete, however you see fit."

"May we meet soon, on the field of battle..."

----

----

NOTE: Anyone who participated in the past thread, out of consideration, has a guaranteed spot should they choose to reapply.

Anyone else, feel free to ask any questions.

Hey there everybody! Pappytech, your friendly neighborhood co-GM, is here to help! Just let me throw up my sheet, and...

There we go!

Now, we're pretty sure that all of the information you might need can be found in the OP, but if you've got a question that hasn't been answered then please don't hesitate to ask. Both CJ and I are here to help in whatever way we can; just hit us up, and we'll see what we can do.

Alright here is my sheet, same as last time, looking forward to the restart. I did make a few adjustments based on what I've picked up about his weapons and species though, but nothing major.

CJ1145:
I'm down with people writing out romances if they really want to, but deathbydeath wants to see the culmination of your freaky King Arthur/Inigo Montoya courtship.

^ Fixed

RP-relevant question: Could I go with What's-His-Face from Red Steel 2? I ask because guns.

I've got backups in case you say no, but this guy would be fun.

INB4 somebody chooses Guybrush Threepwood. You know you want to.

Yep, changed it.

deathbydeath:

CJ1145:
I'm down with people writing out romances if they really want to, but deathbydeath wants to see the culmination of your freaky King Arthur/Inigo Montoya courtship.

^ Fixed

RP-relevant question: Could I go with What's-His-Face from Red Steel 2? I ask because guns.

I've got backups in case you say no, but this guy would be fun.

INB4 somebody chooses Guybrush Threepwood. You know you want to.

Talked it over with Pappy. Yeah, that should be fine. Go ahead and make a sheet if you'd like to.

CJ1145:
Snip

May I make a suggestion? Let us make this game Round Robin (everybody fights everybody in fights, the four with the most wins goes to a semi-final than final), rather than brackets. Since this game is completely dependent on dice rolls, it can be frustrating if you get a few bad rolls ruin the first two games, no matter how sound or unsound your tactics actually are (which happened to me), and we can have multiple fights going at once.

Not G. Ivingname:

May I make a suggestion? Let us make this game Round Robin (everybody fights everybody in fights, the four with the most wins goes to a semi-final than final), rather than brackets. Since this game is completely dependent on dice rolls, it can be frustrating if you get a few bad rolls ruin the first two games, no matter how sound or unsound your tactics actually are (which happened to me), and we can have multiple fights going at once.

It's not a bad idea, to be sure. I'm just not 100% sure if I want to do it. Things might certainly get frantic with six simultaneous fights. (We are looking for 12 players before we start).

Like I said there is definitely good logic there, but along with the reason above being able to watch fights might be something I'd like players to be able to do, which won't really work out in a Round Robin system unless we want this to take months. Trust me when I say, some people having a max of two matches will not be the end of the world for the. I have something in mind about that.

Anyways yeah like I said, we are still looking for two more applicants. As of right now, everyone that's put up a sheet is as good as in, but we need a couple more before we can start. I'd give it, say, another week before I throw my hands up in defeat and pad us out with NPCs.

Holeh crap, I need to get that "Application" section finished.

EDIT: wut wut, it's done.

EDIT #2: Added the Kusagari powers under "Other Skills"

OK, so I know for a fact that we have one last applicant on the way, and he's allowed in due to prior agreement. But after a sudden burst of interest, I am CLOSING APPLICATIONS.

Now I get started on the mechanics. Deciding whether we'll be using an elimination style or round robin bracket, adding a few last-minute additions to balance out this roster, etc. Contact either Pappytech or myself if you've got Skype to get into the group on there.

Oh no, not Skype groups.

EDIT: Also, if you're looking for mechanics (for general gameplay), then I'd recommend looking at the Wushu Open stuff. I have no real experience with it, but it might work for this kind of game.

-Name: Goes by "Jack".

-World of Origin: Samurai Jack.

-Portrait:

-Style of Sword:

Jack's sword comes in the form of the classic Japanese katana. That said, this traditional weapon still has a few quirks all its own. The blade was not forged out of any type of steel, but rather the pure manifested righteousness of Jack's father, a samurai lord and emperor. You may think that such meta-craftsmanship must have required one heck of a sword maker, and you would be correct. Jack's sword was made by not one, not two, but three gods working in conjunction. The collective power of Odin, Ra and Rama ensures that this cosmic artifact is one of the greatest weapons to ever grace Jack's reality.
However, it is not infallible. Although it has proven itself capable of cutting through just about anything its cutting force is determined by its wielder. When faced with magically enchanted, or simply extremely durable, material Jack sometimes finds his not inconsiderable strength inadequate. More alarmingly, the sword has a built in safety mechanism. Because it was made to vanquish evil, the sword is completely ineffectual against those of pure heart. It will quite simply refuse to cut the innocent.

-Image of Sword:

-Secondary Weapon: Jack has mastered a great number of weapons but only carries his sword.

-Other Skills:

Oh me oh my, where to begin? Jack was quite literally trained from birth to battle the greatest evil of his world. He was led all around the globe, learning an incredible variety of disciplines from different tutors, all masters in their own field. Some of these do not specifically relate to battle but of those that do can be mentioned polearm training from Zulu warriors, horseback fighting from Huns, wrestling from Olympic athletes, projectile weaponry from Boyars, unarmed combat from Shaolin monks, and archery from Robin Hood himself. As can be surmised Jack is in peak physical condition, possessing fantastic strength, speed and stamina. He has lifted weights of several hundred tons, he has climbed icy peaks in nothing but his trademark (and quite breezy) kimono, and has deflected bursts of machine gun fire. His leg muscles are particularly developed, allowing him to execute the incredible manoeuvre known only as "jumping good". This allows him to jump such implausible distances as to appear to be flying. Jack also has a unique take on the ninja's mastery of stealth. Whereas the ninja will hide in darkness Jack will shroud himself in white and blend into natural sunlight, rendering him completely invisible. Inversely, if he enters darkness in this state he can be seen. To top all this off, Jack has a keen mind and possesses great knowledge of large scale war tactics.
He's also a pretty good basket weaver.

-Ultimate Ability:

Ancestral Intervention: Jack carries the responsibility and authority of not only his own family but his entire people. As such he can call upon his ancestors' power to aid him in combat. This comes in the form of a column of light from the sky that strikes Jack and leaves his sword aglow. Jack's next sword strike carries such force that nothing can deny it.

-Species: Human.

-Personality:

Jack is the very idea of a stoic. He has an unflinching faith in his own destiny, and believes that his virtue and fortitude will lead him to his ultimate goal. Despite this he is a very humble man, unfailingly courteous, and kind to others. Jack follows the tenants of self-sacrifice, always putting the happiness of others over his own, even when this will greatly hinder him in fulfilling his destiny. Because of this he can appear naive, and his desire to help others has certainly been abused in the past. When not otherwise engaged Jack enjoys the little things in life: there is little a nice walk and a hot cup of tea cannot fix.

-Bio:

"Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape shifting master of darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil. But a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow was struck, I tore open a portal in time, and flung him into the future where my evil is law. Now the fool seeks to return to the past and undo the future that is Aku."

-Application:

OK we've talked it over and Ananya, you technically posted after the deadline. However, because Crazy is allowed to make a sheet under similar circumstances, you are accepted, because we were in some capacity aware of you working. We just forgot.

But that is it. From here on in absolutely no one else's sheets will be accepted.

Man, if I knew you accepted sheets after the deadline, I would've actually finished my sheet for that Heir Apparent RP.

Deciding when to stop accepting sheets can be difficult. Expelling a sheet after the fact, on the other hand, can be surprisingly easy. Something to keep in mind.

Holy crap this is hilarious.

EDIT: Never mind, this person was cleared beforehand.

With CrazyBlaze's sheet up, we can now begin preparations for the tournament! While that is being done, feel free to take a look at the Non-Player Character that will be joining you all.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked