Honor Among Thieves - A Dishonored RP [Closed]

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

The Laughing Hagfish was a small pub in one of the seedier parts of Dunwall. Coming in through the narrow door, one was hit by the smell of cheap cigarettes and even cheaper booze. The ceiling hung low and neither the floor nor the wooden tables had been cleaned properly in good over half a decade. Still, as soon as sundown neared, there were always people inside. Workers from the nearby whale oil refineries, their arms strong from cleaving through the blubber. Small-time thugs and crooks. Even a few older men whose worn-out coats told the story of clerks and accountants who had lost everything in Rudshore when the flood barriers broke. The poor and desperate came here to drown their sorrows. The district had recently been hit by the plague, but that didn't slow down business in the Hagfish. While only two blocks away, the dead counters were piling up the bodies, the two ugly barmaids were still serving and the owner still showed his pockmarked face behind the bar. The people here didn't have enough to lose to care.

One day, though, a person entered the pub who distinctively didn't belong. Six months had passed since the death of the Empress and strange figures never had been a rarity in this part of town, but this one looked too harmless to be a threat. His bright blue coat seemed like a single point of colour in the dark pub. He wore a fashionable hat and tried to hide his slim face behind a scented handkerchief. But nevertheless, everyone could see that the young man was nervous, frightened even. He had good reason to. More than one patron sized him up, but ultimately, they all seemed to decide that he wasn't worth the spilled beer. With a shudder, the man stepped to the bar, spoke with the owner and handed him a piece of paper. Then he left the pub in hurry. The barman took a short look at the paper, spit a big glob of slime on the floor, and then pinned the paper to a small board full of similar offers. It read:

"Looking for a group of people with experience in acquisition and logistics. Must be willing to work in hostile environments and late hours. Payment: 5000 Coins each. Appropriate bonuses will be paid for unexpected services. Payment also possible in form of a place on a ship leaving Gristol next month. In case of interest please come to the back room of the Laughing Hagfish tomorrow at sunset."

Accepted Characters

I'm interested but I've not play Dishonoured so for me and other people who might be in the same position could you explain more about the world? Specifically when you talk about powers, what exactly qualifies as ok and what qualifies as too powerful for this RP?

I'm sorry I hadn't though of that. I'll update my OP with a little bit of information about the world shortly. Until then, this could be used for reference:
Dishonored Wiki
The second question is a little bit more difficult to answer. Most supernatural powers come from a mysterious figure called the Outsider. Think of him as the Devil from Faust without really being the Devil. He marks people he deems intersting enough with his sign, granting them special powers. As I said, I don't really want characters with that kind of power. But if you can come up with a good in-universe explanation for a single supernatural power, I'd be okay with that. For example, there is a group of supernatural Assassins called the Whalers, who have (more or less) access to a power called Blink (short range teleport). Now, if we had a character who is a (maybe former) Whaler, I think that could work. Or maybe a person who has an affinity for rats or knows a few tricks through dreams of the Outsider, that kind of stuff I'd be okay with.

Interested in this. I'll just wait for things to show a bit more interest before definitely committing anything.

So timeline wise this is running parallel to Corvo's story, correct?

JokerboyJordan:
Interested in this. I'll just wait for things to show a bit more interest before definitely committing anything.

So timeline wise this is running parallel to Corvo's story, correct?

Absolutely. As it is to Daud's story, too. I imagine there are a lot of people sneaking through the shadows in these days. There won't be huge intersections, but you may notice a few details here and there.

Since I was a fan of the game, I shall definitely express interest in this particular RP; might wait till a couple of sheets have arrived before I throw my hat into the ring, just so I can see what other people have come up with.

Colour me intrigued. I think I shall scheme on a character over the next little while and post a sheet in a bit.

Edit in with character sheet.

Name: Zelia Droite

Appearance: Zelia Droite is of average build, with pale blonde hair tied back in a neat bun. A pair of custom-made glasses with smoked lenses fit snugly around her face, hiding her eyes from view. She wears a white, tailor-made suit with a black coat, white gloves and black shoes. Quite fancy, although the lack of her prior resources are starting to show. A closer look would show that they're starting to get a little worn in places.

Personality: Polite, affable and ambitious, Zelia is inclined to do her best to stay in the good books of those around her, a habit honed by her occupation. She's not above getting into morally unsound enterprises, but she prefers to have a measure of security. Desperate times however..

Abilities: A good talker and negociator, though her most unusual ability is one she acquired quite by accident in the process of examining a collection of whalebone charms prior to an auction. She is now possessed of perfect vision in darkness and low light. Much to her dismay however, she soon discovered that she was now almost blind in direct sunlight, necessitating her commissioning of her glasses to enable her to see during the daylight hours.

Equipment: Under more prosperous circumstances, very little of her current effects would be on her person constantly. These days, she carries a small pistol and a dagger for security, as well as two spare pairs of glasses and two hipflasks, one containing Sokolov's Elixir and one containing Piero's Remedy.

Biography: Born to a merchant family in Morley, Zelia and her parents moved to Dunwall when she was young as the business expanded. Growing up in Dunwall was relatively comfortable for the young Zelia. The family business made enough money on imported Morley goods to support the family's middle class lifestyle. In later years, her parents left Dunwall, retiring to Morley and Zelia took over the family business. Since then and prior to the financial district's flooding, she ambitiously expanded the business, gaining trading partners on the other islands in the empire, adding an auction house to the premises and as a result advancing both her wealth and social status by gaining a reputation as either having what you wanted or being able to get it. This did not stop at goods that were entirely legal either. On several occasions, the goods bid upon by collectors, nobles and other people with large amounts of coin in the more exclusive auctions were the sort of things the abbey might frown upon. So it was just as well that both her clients and Zelia herself were in possession of enough funds to persuade the abbey and the watch to turn a blind eye to what they might have heard. Unfortunately, the good life was not to last, as the flooding of the finanical district drowned her emporium and her business with it. Since then she's been living out of a small apartment she kept elsewhere in the city to occasionally store contraband goods, but with her source of funds destroyed, her emergency funds gradually dwindling and the city falling slowly into ruin, this isn't a long term solution. She's spent a large portion of her remaining funds stocking up Sokolov's Elixir and Piero's Remedy and acquiring 2 spare pairs of glasses. Now she's looking for a way out.

Reason for taking the job: Having lost most of her possessions and her business when the financial district became the flooded district, Zelia is keen to get out of Gristol as soon as possible and make contact either with some of her business associates on the other islands or her family back in Morley. The growing casualties of the rat plague have include many of her former employees and business contacts, so she has no intention of sticking around to see how long it will be before one of her wealthy clients joins the list of dead.

wilcoblackflame:
Zelia Droite

I like it. Nice concept, nothing too outlandish, good motivation. Though I'll warn you that her appearance could still raise some eyebrows in the Laughing Hagfish or other, seedier places.

Also, I'd like to remind everyone that if you have questions or ideas for characters you aren't completely sure of, just send me a PM.

Ah what the hell, I loved the game, love the setting. I'll give this a whirl. Give me a bit to get a sheet set up.

Well here we go, tell me what you think and I can always edit, if needed.

On an unrelated note is anyone else getting sick of the captcha's?

sage42:

Nice and simple, but you could certainly make her an interesting character. I don't see anything that needs immediate changing.

Avayu:

sage42:

Nice and simple, but you could certainly make her an interesting character. I don't see anything that needs immediate changing.

Excellent, I look foreward to the RP. I also plan to go home and play Dishonored again as well, partly to re-familiarize myself with the world again, partly cause reading this gave me an itch to play the game again.

Hmm this looks interesting, I have been meaning to get back to the game and finish my blink only run (side note how good is the dlc?). Could I have a street urchin kid character with a few (or maybe just one) outsider power(s)? I'm still working on the idea (and it is inspired by those lore vids from before the game came out) but at the moment I'm thinking rat summoning and/or animal possession/control, with the possibility of developing new powers later on.

Edit: Also considering windblast as a power, but only because I think it would be hilarious to have a little kid send a grown man flying through the air. Still mostly looking at the above two as they would fit the character I have in mind better.

Additional Edit: Because I feel like it would come up when discussed, the powers would be level 1 (as far as in game effects go) at least to start, there would be some drawbacks to them, likely in the form of troubled sleep and strange whisperings from the Outsider (like what you hear when approaching an outsider shrine), and he would not have as much mana to put behind the spells as Corvo does, being much younger, weaker and smaller.

IFS:
Hmm this looks interesting, I have been meaning to get back to the game and finish my blink only run (side note how good is the dlc?). Could I have a street urchin kid character with a few (or maybe just one) outsider power(s)? I'm still working on the idea (and it is inspired by those lore vids from before the game came out) but at the moment I'm thinking rat summoning and/or animal possession/control, with the possibility of developing new powers later on.

Edit: Also considering windblast as a power, but only because I think it would be hilarious to have a little kid send a grown man flying through the air. Still mostly looking at the above two as they would fit the character I have in mind better.

Additional Edit: Because I feel like it would come up when discussed, the powers would be level 1 (as far as in game effects go) at least to start, there would be some drawbacks to them, likely in the form of troubled sleep and strange whisperings from the Outsider (like what you hear when approaching an outsider shrine), and he would not have as much mana to put behind the spells as Corvo does, being much younger, weaker and smaller.

Well, for one thing, I have problems imaginign that anyone would hire a little kid (let's say anyone who looks like they are younger than 16) for this kind of thing.
Other than that, I already mentioned that I don't really want people chosen by the Outsider (too powerful, too important in universe), but I like the idea of someone having found a rune or something and slowly losing their mind over it. In exchange, they could get minor powers. Possesion is a little bit too strong for my liking, but a more indirect control over rats (or animals in general) could work. I don't really have a problem with windblast per se (apart from the general idea of where the power comes from), but it is a highly situational power, and I don't really see it being all that useful.

Avayu:

IFS:

Well, for one thing, I have problems imaginign that anyone would hire a little kid (let's say anyone who looks like they are younger than 16) for this kind of thing.
Other than that, I already mentioned that I don't really want people chosen by the Outsider (too powerful, too important in universe), but I like the idea of someone having found a rune or something and slowly losing their mind over it. In exchange, they could get minor powers. Possesion is a little bit too strong for my liking, but a more indirect control over rats (or animals in general) could work. I don't really have a problem with windblast per se (apart from the general idea of where the power comes from), but it is a highly situational power, and I don't really see it being all that useful.

Yeah I read that and I realize its an unusual idea that might not fit, which is why I asked, I do have some other ideas. I could easily bump the age up to make him more employable. The idea is that he was the son of a whaler, who brought home a rune as a gift, but later died at sea leaving him an orphan, when the Overseers found his rune they brought him in, at which point the outsider gifted him some powers that let him escape. Windblast was mainly because it was a humorous image, thinking about it I will not take that one, possession was in part because of the aforementioned inspiration and also because I had the image of him possessing a rat to escape his cell, since its OP I suppose I could have him use animal control to get a rat to fetch the keys for him. At this point if I gave him any powers aside from the animal control it would be darkvision as a way of explaining how he found his way out.

Does this idea sound workable, or would you prefer I just scrap it and start working on a nonmagic char? It really wouldn't be much trouble to do so as I have a few ideas already.

Edit: I suppose since the outsider connection is too important lore-wise it could be made that he started to understand the whispers and try something, which worked, possibly having to carve the rune-symbol into his hand in the process.

IFS:
-snip-

You know, if you want to keep your backstory, you could. Maybe he really possesed a rat to escape from the Abbey, through a short intervention from the Outsider, but couldn't anymore after that. It's not like anyone would believe his story, anyway. In that case, he may have kept an affinity for rats (also, a disturbed mind?). So yeah, if you want to be the madman who talks to rats, you absolutely can be. Just write up that character sheet and I will look over it. If you want to do something else, that's fine as well.

Athol:

That seems fine. Though, if the "best thief in Dunwall" wants to take this job, he would have to be quite desperate, wouldn't he?

Avayu:

That seems fine. Though, if the "best thief in Dunwall" wants to take this job, he would have to be quite desperate, wouldn't he?

Well he like to think he's the best thief in Dunwall. Weither or not he actually is, is up for debate.

Here it is, let me know if there are any problems.

Athol:

Avayu:

Well he like to think he's the best thief in Dunwall. Weither or not he actually is, is up for debate.

Which just makes it more fun.

IFS:

Here it is, let me know if there are any problems.

Interesting. I feel kind of sorry for having you have to jump through so many loops, but it seems like it was worth it.

Avayu:

wilcoblackflame:
Zelia Droite

I like it. Nice concept, nothing too outlandish, good motivation. Though I'll warn you that her appearance could still raise some eyebrows in the Laughing Hagfish or other, seedier places.

Also, I'd like to remind everyone that if you have questions or ideas for characters you aren't completely sure of, just send me a PM.

Of course, of course. But then that's half the fun. And granted she can always wear something else if needs must but it's going to be considerable harder to get around the issue of those glasses. :D

Avayu:

Interesting. I feel kind of sorry for having you have to jump through so many loops, but it seems like it was worth it.

Nah its fine, I'd rather have done so than have posted a char that wouldn't work.

TheDoctor455:

You know, that's a pretty cool concept, but I don't really think this character would work with the idea of this RP.

Avayu:

TheDoctor455:

You know, that's a pretty cool concept, but I don't really think this character would work with the idea of this RP.

My thinking is: use him as a distraction. He gets the guards to chase him for a while, then the rest of the team can slip in. He'd be the muscle of the group.

TheDoctor455:

Avayu:

TheDoctor455:

My thinking is: use him as a distraction. He gets the guards to chase him for a while, then the rest of the team can slip in. He'd be the muscle of the group.

and every gang of thieves require the un-sneaky muscle! :D Of course I still have no say in the matter.

sage42:

TheDoctor455:

Avayu:

and every gang of thieves require the un-sneaky muscle! :D Of course I still have no say in the matter.

Yes... and also... if the group ends up stuck in a fight with a bunch of guards? Well, they'll need him to help level the playing field... since assassins and thieves aren't exactly going to be that great in an open fight. (look at how hard it is to survive an open fight against the guards in the actual game... for both Corvo and Daud)

Just wondering when closing date may be as I won't have time to write a sheet until this weekend?

TheDoctor455:

sage42:

TheDoctor455:

Yes... and also... if the group ends up stuck in a fight with a bunch of guards? Well, they'll need him to help level the playing field... since assassins and thieves aren't exactly going to be that great in an open fight. (look at how hard it is to survive an open fight against the guards in the actual game... for both Corvo and Daud)

I'll consider it. Though I don't really plan to throw tallboys in against them. If those sneaky characters are fighting an open, fair fight, they've obviously done something wrong ;)

MortifiedPenguin:
Just wondering when closing date may be as I won't have time to write a sheet until this weekend?

I planned to choose the playing characters (I think I'll stick to four) tomorrow and then get the whole thing running friday or saturday. But if more people show interest or the given timeframe doesn't work for those who have already applied, I'll push it back a little bit.

Avayu:

TheDoctor455:

sage42:

I'll consider it. Though I don't really plan to throw tallboys in against them. If those sneaky characters are fighting an open, fair fight, they've obviously done something wrong ;)

MortifiedPenguin:

I planned to choose the playing characters (I think I'll stick to four) tomorrow and then get the whole thing running friday or saturday. But if more people show interest or the given timeframe doesn't work for those who have already applied, I'll push it back a little bit.

Also, my character has a bit of a reputation among the nobility already. They already accept him as someone to expect having around. Therefore, they are likely to invite him in... as well as any friends he wants to bring along. Even though he has made it clear to the nobles that he doesn't really like attending their festivities, they keep inviting him... probably out of some kind of racist curiosity ('the mysterious foreign knight', sort of thing)... and he can be fairly charming when he wants to be... so his function is more to keep the guards and nobles looking the other way while the rest of the team does the actual sneaking... then when they're ready, he meets up with them, bullshitting his way to the vault... or whatever it is.

If its absolutely necessary... I can add a bit to his bio where he learned to pick up some skill at stealth, but not a lot... I am trying to keep him balanced here.

Avayu:
Snip

Alright then. You've already got a fine batch of RPers and I wouldn't want to delay the game just for my sake, so I'll withdraw my interest.

TheDoctor455:
Also, my character has a bit of a reputation among the nobility already. They already accept him as someone to expect having around. Therefore, they are likely to invite him in... as well as any friends he wants to bring along. Even though he has made it clear to the nobles that he doesn't really like attending their festivities, they keep inviting him... probably out of some kind of racist curiosity ('the mysterious foreign knight', sort of thing)... and he can be fairly charming when he wants to be... so his function is more to keep the guards and nobles looking the other way while the rest of the team does the actual sneaking... then when they're ready, he meets up with them, bullshitting his way to the vault... or whatever it is.

If its absolutely necessary... I can add a bit to his bio where he learned to pick up some skill at stealth, but not a lot... I am trying to keep him balanced here.

That's all fine and quite a good idea. As I said, I'll consider it. There's no need to change anything, your character is fine, but I'll have to think about how he could fit into the story.

Avayu:

TheDoctor455:

That's all fine and quite a good idea. As I said, I'll consider it. There's no need to change anything, your character is fine, but I'll have to think about how he could fit into the story.

Sorry, didn't mean to bug you.

And fair enough.

I dent out PMs to anyone I accepted, so we can start as soon as I get confirmation from everyone. Sorry for the little delay.

On the matter of time, as you may have noticed, I'm sitting in Germany. I'm also an university student. This means that I'll mainly be active during the European afternoon and evening. But I'm sure we'll find a way to make our timetables work out.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked