Children of the Gods: Arc 2 [Game/Closed]

Pages PREV 1 . . . 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 . . . 57 NEXT

Looking about the room, Remus realized that the fighting had somehow come to an end. The undead which were previously swarming all over the group had halted and then lost any sense of aggression as they resumed moping around. As he turned around, Remus saw the reason for this. Vera had apparently killed the Persian deity. She had cracked open his skull with a blade, after catching Ahriman's own scimitar with her hand. It was the sort of bold, ballsy move Remus would have expected himself to do.

After the temporary amazement wore off, his first concern was making sure Vera was fine. However Able beat him to the punch and scooped their injured companion up. With that tended to, Remus scanned the rest of the room to make the others were fine. It was then he saw Hades making his grand re-entrance.

"Friends, New Friends! I am Dis Pater; Undisputed Lord of this realm, brother of Zeus and supporter of your task! Won't you join me for drinks?"

Remus immediately scowled. Though he knew his mythology, he hardly expected the god of the underworld to also be the god of cowards. While the group had been risking their lives to fight his battle, Hades had scampered off like a rat only to return boasting like an ass. And knowing his mythology, and remembering the words of Prometheus earlier, Remus knew better than to even think about eating or drinking in the underworld.

"Don't bullshit us." he said with utter bluntness. "If you're really a supporter of our task, than instead of trying to trick us into imprisonment, you ought to give us what we need."

When the self-proclaimed overlord of evil hit the ground dead, Vera could hardly believe it. Sure that had been her plan but she certainly hadn't expected it to work. I mean; weren't gods supposed be unstoppable juggernauts of power who could only be faced by other gods; excepting the Norse gods of course.

In any event; Ahriman - the spirit of darkness, lord of the underworld, source of all things evil - was now dead and she wasn't. Victory. Vera had a few moments of jubilation at the idea they'd somehow survived the entire mess, but as the adrenalin wore off, the sharp pain in her crushed wrist made itself apparent.

She pulled her blade out of the dead god's head and tried to use it as a balance to little effect. With her power drained, Nicole's power released, and fatigue setting in, she didn't have the strength to even stand. She fell to the hard ground of the underworld with what dignity she could muster and lay there; letting the reality of the situation wash over her.

Shortly thereafter, Able staggered over to her and helped her to her feet. "Thanks Able" she said with a smile, happy for the help. They made there way back to the group just in time for the new lord of the underworld to proclaim his thanks for their "assistance". "What a jerk, huh?" able commented, to which Vera could only laugh in agreement.

she was half tempted to proclaim herself the new queen of the underworld, but for 1) there would no doubt be an endless supply of paperwork to fill out and for 2) that would make her a god and that was just... ew... Besides; if she had to become a goddess some day, she'd rather be the goddess of obscure farm animals or something; no one would fight for that crown.

"Friends, New Friends! I am Dis Pater; Undisputed Lord of this realm, brother of Zeus and supporter of your task! Won't you join me for drinks?" Hades said, interrupting her thoughts. Vera didn't even take a moment to consider the offer. "Considering we're up against the Greek God of Alcohol Poisoning, I think I'm going to pass on the drinks." she said. She didn't much like Hades more than Ahriman and didn't trust anything he'd serve. A moment later she added a grudging "But thank you for the offer." - just to maintain diplomacy. She wouldn't be much help fighting Hades so soon after all.

As Nicole set Aria back down Aria sighed at the sudden display from the god of the under world "I'll pass on that drink, that hole 'eat or drink something down here and your stuck here' thing" that and she already didn't like him, which was hardly surprising at this point, the only god or other wise divine entity she'd met in all this she liked was her own mother so far. Every one else, even the ones helping them had just been varying flavors of 'jerk'.

"So where's this soul we need at? World to save an all." she said, really wanting to just get a move on and find the god that started all this.

The God stared Remus down, anger flaring behind passive eyes.

"I have no intention of deceiving you, Remus. To drink is but a figure of speech; we must celebrate my reclamation, no?"

Turning to Etna, Dis received the tongue with a slightly bemused face; tossing it up and down with his hand as he spoke. He gave a shrug and a sheepish smile, and spoke broadly to the group, meeting each of their eyes with a wandering gaze.

"Well, you can't blame a man for trying to be a good host! A soul you say; presumably the owner of this tongue. Yes...I did seem to recall seeing one such a-wandering around these parts. I'll send out a call, though it may take a while. You know, I had this place so organised before that damn Pers-"

Seeing Vera, he quickly ammended.

"Pers-istent bastard came down here and ruined everything. Speaking of which; how did you get here anyway? Have you seen my furies anywhere?"

He began pacing back and forth, stroking his chin. He paced up to Vera, and met her eye to eye. Dispelling her warrior form, she was returned to her spritely young self.

"And thank you, my dear, for dealing with your arrogant relative. Sorry I couldn't help; I was...pre-occupied."

He cast a wayward glance at the ruins of the smouldering building; the glow, nowhere to be found; a nervous twitch here and there alerted both Andrew and Able, attuned to such ticks, of a creeping anxiety.

---------------------------------------------------------

Prometheus rubbed his temples as Dis spoke; questions flying to and fro. At least the group was being direct; he was sure they could handle his questions. The Titan strode went over Etna's words in his mind; Oath by word; what did that mean? On a token? A token....

He strode over to Vera and Able.

"Vera, are you alright? Andrew should be fine to heal you soon. Able; what were you looking at earlier? Something fell from the sky - did you see it?"

If Dis was offended by the boy's words, he certainly didn't show it. Remus' scowl faded away as the God's attention was captured by the tongue he was now playing with. There was no way to tell if Dis really meant his invitation to drink as a figure of speech, or if he had intended to trick them and was now trying to save face. Remus would have to give him the benefit of the doubt, although there was little choice in the matter considering they needed Dis, but resolved to be suspicious. There was something about Dis that struck a sour note with him. Probably his apparent cowardice.

"Speaking of which; how did you get here anyway? Have you seen my furies anywhere?"

"They chased us, so I shot and stabbed them." he stated plainly. He paused for a second before speaking again. "Our doctor also nailed one." He shrugged, gesturing towards Andrew. Remus then turned his eyes back to Dis Pater. A small frown appeared on his face as a thought popped into his head. "How do you know my name?"

"Speaking of which; how did you get here anyway? Have you seen my furies anywhere?"

Yes. Might be best to answer carefully here, to avoid any sort of awkward situation.

"They chased us, so I shot and stabbed them. Our doctor also nailed one."

Two. I took care of two.

He thought, pridefully. His shots had been so masterfully done too, although he didn't need the others to praise him, or even remember the details, to know that. Andrew had always been able to tell that he was talented, since young age. It wasn't that important right now, though.

Regardless, I don't think saying that aloud will help us a lot now. We did help him out a lot, though, so it should be fine. If he gets upset, I might just accidentally lose an arrow in the back of his head.

Of course, he wouldn't. However, he was losing more and more of his patience with... everyone. If they could just hurry up and get out of there, everything would be fine. Hades had said getting the owner of the tongue might take a while. Annoying. Besides, Hades had seemed a bit unsettled when looking over at the ruins after that which had fallen into the tower, which didn't strike Andrew as a good sign.

"Vera, are you alright? Andrew should be fine to heal you soon. Able; what were you looking at earlier? Something fell from the sky - did you see it?"

That's true, something did fall.

He wouldn't admit it to anyone but himself, but he had completely forgotten in the chaos, even though that might have proven to be a huge mistake.

Anyways, I'm up for healing Vera now, but she better be the last one to get hurt today.

Somehow, he doubted he would be that lucky. It seemed these people couldn't walk out from their house without getting hurt. Yes, they had been fighting a few fights, and yes, those were deadly, but it would help a lot if they had used a bit more intelligence when fighting, rather than running directly in and getting themselves torn apart all the time.

"I'll help her now," he said, and walked over to Vera, examining her. She didn't seem to have much injuries, at least not on the outside. "Does it hurt anywhere? Or are you just tired?" If it was exhaustion, there weren't a whole lot he could do.

"Yes...I did seem to recall seeing one such a-wandering around these parts. I'll send out a call, though it may take a while. You know, I had this place so organized before that damn Pers-istent bastard came down here and ruined everything."

Aria rolled her eyes as Hades covered his apparently dislike of the Persian deity's, but with the soul apparently 'out of place' there was little else to do for her to do but wait for the dead person to shamble up, Aria found a rock to sit on and wait. The thought of experimenting with her altered powers crossed her mind but she felt it best to rest a bit before expending more energy.

"...Able; what were you looking at earlier? Something fell from the sky - did you see it?"

What does he mean, earlier? Then able remembered the weird flash of light he'd seen when they were just entering the city. The zombie attack had rattled it from his brain but now that he had a calm moment. Ooooh yeah. The big ball of light that had made him come over all zen... and then it smashed a crater into the ground.

Able gave a shrug. He had no idea what it had been but he could guess that everybody had seen it come down, it wasn't like the thing was quiet or anything.

He pointed at his own chest and then off in the direction of where the comet had landed. Nodding in the same direction as he did it. Dis or Hades or whatever everyone had agreed to call him today was busy trying to back pedal his way out of any charges of cowardice the others could level at him, it wouldn't be too hard for Able to sneak away unseen and check the crash site out. He'd be lying if he said he wasn't curious.

Now he just had to hope that his meaning was clear to Prometheus. He added a few raises of his eyebrows just to be on the safe side.

..."How do you know my name?"

Taken aback, the God fumbled slightly with his words; a slight stutter in his speech.

"Why, everyone knows your name, of course! The Son of Mars, a companion of a Titan; word has spread fast among those who watch your little group close enough."

He cocked his head, as if listening to some far away noise, before continuing.

"And that's a shame about my furies; I'll have to go round them up again. You have no idea the trouble I went through to get them down here!"

Again, listening, he smiled and spoke.

"I think I found your lost soul, and he's on his way to my keep as we speak. So. I guess you will join me there for celebration after all."

Though it was an open invitation, he spoke as if it was a command, and not a question. He motioned for the group to follow him before turning on his heel, and walking calmly down a narrow alleyway, his staff tapping as he went.

-------------------------------------------------

Aria again heard the distant calling of Remus' name. It seemed to be coming from where Hades had begun to walk; indeed, the alleyway lead to a small fortress, made of grey stone, that stood in the center of the city.

------------------------------------------------------

Prometheus stared curiously at Able as he raised his eyebrows. Obviously he was pointing to the newly-made rubble, but what had he seen? Did he intend to check it out?

He turned to Andrew as he doted over Vera.

"Hey; Able and I are going to go see what crashed into the building over there; keep an eye on Vera, and I guess...follow Dis? We need to chat with that soul. Let Nicole know."

Not waiting for an answer, Prometheus strode over to Remus, Aria and Etna.

"Hey. Able and I are just going to scout something out. Just follow Dis for now; we'll catch up to you. Etna; make sure he doesn't see that token. Remus, just -"

He thought about the woman, calling for his name. His eyes met Aria's, full of guilt.

"Stay focused I guess. We'll be back before you know it. Aria; make sure Dis doesn't withhold the soul."

He took a deep breath. Organising was hard work. He couldn't wait to get out of this hell-hole. He nodded at Able as he began to walk towards the rubble, opening and closing his hands. He was hungry, tired and all-together uneasy; the group needed rest, and he hoped there would be no more conflict before they returned to the surface.

"Why, everyone knows your name, of course! The Son of Mars, a companion of a Titan; word has spread fast among those who watch your little group close enough."

Hades was obviously lying. You would think a God of Hell would have time to practice deceit, although most of the gods seemed so arrogant. Steven debated just calling out the lie, but still had no idea why Hades lied. Since the Hell God seemed to be intentionally not noticing Steven's presence, he guessed Hades didn't like the democracy comment or had problems with Hephaestus.

Steven decided to stay close to Remus. Steven owed Remus, and worried Hades may try something.

Vera was a little shocked when she found Hades was capable of transforming her. She was also annoyed about it. For one, it said he somehow had control over her. For two it removed all the pain tolerance of the warrior form - which was unkind considering the state of her wrist. Third, he decided to be borderline racist to the person who'd saved his sorry, divine butt. Finally, he was a god which - at least in Vera's book - was enough of a reason to dislike him. The irony that she disliked him because he was divine-prejudiced while she was divine-prejudiced herself escaped her of course.

"Does it hurt anywhere? Or are you just tired?" Andrew asked as he made his way over to her. Vera nodded in response. "I injured my hand and wrist when I caught the blade." she was going to add that she thought it was broken, but that seemed unneeded. Andrew WAS a doctor after all; she hardly needed to tell him how to do his job. As an after thought she added "I'm also a bit cut up as you can see." as she pointed at her various long - but thankfully shallow - gashes.

Remus' frown did not go away. The God's voice had stuttered slightly yet noticeably, giving impression that he was making an excuse on the spot. He disliked lies. And lies Dis' words most likely were, but for what reason eluded Remus.

But he would have to shake away such thoughts. How Dis really knew his name didn't matter. What did matter was the dire task at hand. The sooner it got done the better. And with Dis willing to help them in that, Remus would have to push his suspicions aside.

"Hey. Able and I are just going to scout something out. Just follow Dis for now; we'll catch up to you. Etna; make sure he doesn't see that token. Remus, just...stay focused I guess. We'll be back before you know it. Aria; make sure Dis doesn't withhold the soul."

Remus felt as though Prometheus was about to tell him something yet suddenly resolved not to. He shook that thought away too. "Stop being paranoid, idiot. Just help get this over with." he told himself. Best thing to do now was follow Prometheus' advice and focus on the task.

He followed Dis as he walked through a narrow pass. Seeing Steven along his side, Remus turned and flashed a smile at the man. It took him a bit to think of something to say. "Thanks for the gun. It was very handy." He recalled their scuffle with the furies not too long ago. "Would you happen to have any more ammunition? I emptied both chambers during that fight. Maybe something with a bit more...bang?"

Aria simply followed the god of the underworld who seemed to change names the way most people change socks, a few paces behind Remus and Steven. She could still hear the woman calling out for Remus, and she was already putting the pieces together her self, she'd make note to talk to Remus about it later, if she was right, he deserved to know sooner rather then later.

"Oh, sorry," Steven said, fumbling through his pockets, "I forgot to give you the rest of the ammo..."

Steven pulled out the remaining 24 round, shaking them to check what each one is.

"These eight are bird shot, these 12 are buckshot, and these 4 are slugs," Steven said as he handed the bullets to Remus, "That is all I found at the bar. The slugs will pack the most punch, but it's a single bullet. I also am pretty sure it's illegal in Australia, I wonder why the bar owner just left it sitting next to the boiler... The birdshot doesn't hit nearly as hard, but it is more likely to hit and will do lots of damage to things like wings. In most situations, I suggest you just use the buckshot."

"Be careful how often you use that thing, you can burn through your ammo without even thinking about it," Steven said, looking down at his colt.

"Hey; Able and I are going to go see what crashed into the building over there; keep an eye on Vera, and I guess...follow Dis? We need to chat with that soul. Let Nicole know."

"Sure."

He looked for Nicole, and waived her over. "Hey, Nicole, we have to follow Prometheus," he informed her with a friendly smile. She had probably heard it already, but it was better to make sure. He glanced over at Prometheus and Able again, as they went towards the crash-site. Although he did wonder what had fallen down, he also had no desire to go over there.

Better them than me, especially if it's something dangerous.

He was tired, after all, and he still had someone to heal, from the sounds of it.

"I injured my hand and wrist when I caught the blade. I'm also a bit cut up as you can see."

"Okay, just let me have a look at that."

He examined it, carefully feeling the wrist, just barely rough enough to see how bad it was.

It's broken. Great.

Andrew had realized that the possibly hardest thing to fix was broken limbs. He made sure to take care of the gashes first, they took little effort, flesh was easy to fix like this. However, the broken wrist took a lot more, and when he was done, he felt lightheaded.

"There, all fixed up. The wrist might still be a bit numb for a while, though." He took a step backwards carefully, pretending to be completely fine, but clearly tired. Andrew waited for Nicole to get close to them, before he spoke.

"We should probably follow Dis and the others now." Hades seemed set on that stupid celebration of his, and that annoyed Andrew. He wanted out from there, and he wanted his own room where he could relax. Heck, he wanted his apartment, to be away from all of these idiots and morons. It still baffled him that demigods, titans, and even the gods themselves, could be this... pathetic. However, he kept his facade, and he sounded rather worried as he spoke again.

"And we should probably leave after we've talked to the owner of the tongue, I have a bad feeling about this. It seems off."

As Aria listened to the boys talk about guns, a subject that she was overly familiar with, her mind wandered a bit and before long crack a smirk "Hey!" she started "Anyone else have Rob Zombie, 'Dragula', running through their head? Or am I just developing a warped sense of humor"

"Be careful how often you use that thing, you can burn through your ammo without even thinking about it,"

Remus nodded as Steven handed him the ammunition. "I'll try not to. You have my thanks." He took two of the buckshot, broke the shotgun's breech's open and let a pair of empty shells fall out. He then loaded the fresh shells into the gun and snapped the barrels back into place.

As he attempted to put the remaining ammo away, Remus realized he had no effective place to store twenty-two shells. "Damn. Would it be too much to hope one of you brought a bandolier?" he asked aloud.

"Hey! Anyone else have Rob Zombie, 'Dragula', running through their head? Or am I just developing a wrapped sense of humor"

Remus turned to Aria with an incredibly confused look on his face. He didn't speak immediately, clearly taking a moment to process what she just said. "I...I don't know what a Rob zombie dracula is or why it would be in my head."

Nicole let her wings fade after she set down Aria, and Hades began calling himself 'Dis Pater' and calling for a celebration. I can't remember Dis Pater from the myths, maybe I just forgot it, still being so celebratory seems odd for Hades. But working for Dio doesn't make sense, if he was then Ahriman would have appealed to us saying that, and you would think Dio would have helped him win... On the subject of Ahriman Nicole shivered, had they really killed a god? It seemed too sudden, yet it had happened and she had helped it happen. She felt a tingling sensation, the thrill of not only victory but the feeling that their eventual goal was possible, though still distant.

"Hey, Nicole, we have to follow Prometheus,"

Andrew's voice snapped her out of her train of thought, she nodded and followed along. Andrew looked a little pale after healing Vera, no doubt her broken wrist had taken a lot out of him. She sighed and cast a slight blessing towards him, just enough energy to keep him going, though it was temporary. Great now I'm a dispenser of magical coffee. Nevertheless it felt good to help.

"Damn. Would it be too much to hope one of you brought a bandolier?"

Steven had handed some of his ammo over to Remus, yes it would, hell I'm not even sure how Steven carried so much to begin with. She shrugged her shoulders and kept walking, she still felt like she had too much to think about, and remained silent.

"Hey! Anyone else have Rob Zombie, 'Dragula', running through their head? Or am I just developing a wrapped sense of humor"

"I'm not sure how you wrap a sense of humor, or what you would wrap it in," Nicole responded jokingly, with a slight grin, "But no, I'd say you're the only one." She couldn't say that she'd even heard of the song before, though she had heard of the artist.

"Damn. Would it be too much to hope one of you brought a bandolier?"

"No, I was not expecting to be thrown to Australia on a wild goose chase after the God of Boos. It's lucky I was going planning a range trip when we called for, otherwise I wouldn't even be carrying the five magazines I had. I would give you the tool box, but, I think I forgot it in the crashed plane... Give me a second."

Steven ripped of the remains of one of his badly damaged sleeves. He quickly used the duct tape he kept from the tool box (never know when the stuff might be useful), taping the cloth together, then twisting a longer piece into a usable rope so it the bag can be easily carried. Steven held out the pouch to Remus.

"This should work, assuming we can catch the god within a few days..."

Steven just stared at Aria.

"The stress was bound to get to somebody..."

Able gave the others a nod for good luck as he and PRometheus trecked out over the rubble in silence. The titan was obviously on edge, maybe he was worried about what they'd find, maybe he was concerned about leaving the others alone with Hades. Probably both. Able couldn't blame him, he couldn't wait to see the back of this place and be back somewhere with actual sunlight. Whatever fell from the sky didn't look like it belonged in the endless grey of Dis though and if it was something that got in from the outside then maybe it could help them get out in some way.

Abe caught Prometheus clenching and unclenching his hands out of the corner of his eye and realised that neither of them had brought a weapon. Something he hoped they wouldn't regret as they came up to the crest of the shattered crater that had been made by... well by whatever they were looking for.

"...Etna; make sure he doesn't see that token..."

She nodded. That particular statement silenced those nagging questions about the token for a while. Better not to worry about such things, right? She was was more worried about Prometheus's state. He was obviously really worried about something. But as soon as he walked away to investigate the ruins, the chance for a quick talk faded away. Nothing much to do but stick with the Able-and-Prometheus-less group. So much for always having a Titan on hand as a safety net.

'If only I was the daugther of Brigid or something...' She huffed.

"There, all fixed up. The wrist might still be a bit numb for a while, though." Andrew said after his work was finished. Vera moved her wrist a bit to test the surgeons work and found it pain free. Like he said, she couldn't quite feel her wrist and hand; that was a doctor for you.

"Thanks Andrew" she said, turning to the healer. Upon seeing him however, she noticed he looked exhausted. Vera could've hit herself; of course he was. He's probably used his powers more than she had, and she was the one who fought the god of evil in one-on-one combat.

Standing up, she offered him an arm. "You've done a lot; now let me help you." she said, hoping to help him however she could.

"Thanks Andrew."

He smiled in reply. "No worries, I was just doing my job." It would be hard to keep doing that, but he supposed he was nearing his limit. At least that meant that he might get to refuse helping some of the more stupid and reckless of the group, if they annoyed him enough.

It also means that I'm completely helpless, though. Still, I've done mine, no one can complain about my effort.

"You've done a lot; now let me help you."

And owe anyone anything? I'd rather be without a favor hanging over me.

He looked at her hand, smile lessening a bit.

"It's fine, I was just doing my job. Even if I'm not in a hospital, it's still my responsibility to help as many as I can." He stated it as if it was obvious, and some of his stubborn pride showed through as he spoke. Small parts of his mask had started to slip, and although he had not noticed it himself, others might sense something was off.

Does she really think I'm that helpless? Disappointing.

As he refused Vera's help, he felt himself feeling more energized. From what he could see, it didn't come from Vera. However, then who? He noticed Nicole, and remembered that she had done such to others before.

Does this mean I owe her? Damnit.

However, he then remembered what she had done in the plane, when he had attempted to trick Loki. He could still remember the shape his ribs was in after that whole incident.

I don't.

He decided to ignore her, act as if she had done nothing.

I don't know what she's talking about, but I give up. If one of these people know it, it's probably trash. Probably pop or rap or something ridiculous like that.

He decided to ignore her too, and started following Hades and the rest.

"Guess I'm the only one that likes Metal" Aria said slight bemused, but shrugged and just kept walking, though she did wish she had her MP3 player with her, all these walks where getting really boring, but that was back home.

Dis lead the group through numerous twists and turns, humming to himself as he strolled, until at last they reached the small fortress, perched atop a small mound. Standing at the gates, the small elevation in height allowed all to survey the city until it's limits, where the mists shrouded what lay beyond the walls. Here, the God simply stopped, and leaned against the gate. He spoke carelessly, clearly less-enthused than before.

"You know, if you had accepted my invitation, we could be dining in such magnificent halls right now. But I guess that doesn't appeal to you few, does it?"

A figure rounded the far corner of the fortress, walking melancholy towards Dis. He continued to speak, almost rambling.

"I wonder; why do you side with the titan? I mean, I'm glad you're on our side, but what has he offered you? Coin? Power? Freedom? I wonder, I wonder..."

As the figure drew closer, it became apparent that he was indeed the owner of the tongue. Stopping between Dis and the group, he simply stood silently; expressionless, and devoid of colour. The God simply held out the tongue to the group, and spoke.

"I suppose one of you will want to talk with him. Which of you speaks the tongue of the dead?"

-----------------------------------------------------------

Prometheus and Able met the ruined building with haste. What had once been a small, squat look-out tower was now merely two walls and a pile of dark bricks. The Titan gingerly began picking through the debris, motioning for Able to follow suit.

"Whatever it was, it sure smashed this place to pieces. I wonder if it's even still here..."

A faint warmth seemed to stem from deep beneath the bricks, not like flame, but as if a hot stone was buried deep beneath the earth. The heat became more fierce as the removed more and more of the tower, until at last it became almost unbearable for Prometheus.

"I don't know what you're made of, Able, but it is stronger stuff than I."

He was sweating profusely, and swayed, dizzy in the heat.

"Are you okay to keep digging?"

Whatever had fell from the sky, it clearly was not natural, nor routine in this realm. It's arrival shortly after their own could not be coincidence, and Prometheus prayed for a boon rather than a burden.

"I wonder; why do you side with the titan? I mean, I'm glad you're on our side, but what has he offered you? Coin? Power? Freedom? I wonder, I wonder...I suppose one of you will want to talk with him. Which of you speaks the tongue of the dead?"

Aria had kinda zoned out but this time, the walk was longer then expected, and pretty dull to boot, but still, this got her attention, there's been no mention of reward before, and they still didn't know why all this was happening. More over, from the way he said it, it soundly like there should have been a choice in the matter. "That'd be me" Aria said as she walked up to Dis, her tone that of some one distracted by their thoughts. "Hope he's a better conversationalist then that woman was."

"This should work, assuming we can catch the god within a few days..."

Remus nodded again as he took the makeshift satchel from Steven and slung it over his chest. "Yeah, I hope so too." He opened the pouch and let the remaining handful of shells fall inside before closing the flap back. "It's going to be a lot easier now that I've got this though." he said, looking over the shotgun as he clenched it in his hands. Remus liked the gun. It reminded him of the one his uncle used to let him hunt with back home.

"I wonder; why do you side with the titan? I mean, I'm glad you're on our side, but what has he offered you? Coin? Power? Freedom? I wonder, I wonder..."

"Saving the world is a pretty strong motivation." Remus said. "Most people have a sense of moral duty, you know. We can't all be selfish rats." Soon the group approached a ghastly figure that was clearly one of the local dead. The being simply stood, looking more statue than man. "I suppose one of you will want to talk with him. Which of you speaks the tongue of the dead?"

"That'd be me Hope he's a better conversationalist then that woman was."

Remus turned and gave a relieved smile at Aria as she spoke. Soon she'd get the information they needed and they could leave this damnable place. As strange as the girl was, Remus thought it was damned useful that she was in the group. If she wasn't, then this sort of situation would have proved far more difficult. But then a thought popped into his head. Aria had said something rather odd.

"What woman?"

"What woman?"

"There was a woman earlier, kept repeating your name over and over." Aria said after turning to face Remus "And that was all she was saying to. So you should probably make some phone calls once we're top side to find out who it could have been." Aria's tone soften as she continued to speak, turning from matter of fact to a more sympathetic one by the time she told him to start making phone calls. "I dunno where she is now though, lost track of her during the fight." Aria didn't know if telling him was the right thing to do for their mission, but Remus seem like the kind of person to be able to handle it and still finish the mission, or maybe even use the grief to their advantage, ether way, she did think it was better for him to know now then to come home and find no one waiting for him.

"There was a woman earlier, kept repeating your name over and over. And that was all she was saying to. So you should probably make some phone calls once we're top side to find out who it could have been."

Remus remain deathly silent for a while. He stood there with a stunned expression as his mind tried to grasp the true gravity of what Aria had just told him. As it processed her words, his eyes widened evermore and his face grew whiter. "A woman. Calling your name. Who could it have been?" he thought, then answered his own question. "Who else could it have been?" Remus slowly turned his head to Aria and shook it. "No...that can't be right."

"He would never understand," Steven thought, "That would require being capable of loving somebody besides yourself."

"No...that can't be right."

Steven saw Remus really lock up. Denial of what must of happened. Steven understood perfectly, even if the circumstances were very different. He laid his hand on Remus' shoulder.

"It might just be right," Steven said, in a comforting, if somewhat awkward voice, "I am sorry. Lets get out of here as soon as possible."

Dis grinned as shock took hold of Remus. As Steven consoled him, he placed the tongue gently into the stranger, before letting go and stepping back. Cradling his staff in the nook of his arm, he cleared his throat.

"Sorry to interrupt, but he's ready to chat. The dead can only answer questions, so ask away."

He leaned back against the wall of the fort, resolute in his decision not to go anywhere. The stranger simply stared at the group, small expressions forming on a previously blank face. Small colour returned to him, though little energy, and upon his pseudo-awakening he found it difficult to stand. Dropping to one knee, he began coughing lightly.

Aria turned to the man as he feel to one knee, coughing a bit "Welcome back, I know this is sudden but I have questions that are in need of answering and we've been told, by a reliable source your the one man with the answers." She started, her tone pleasant as to better get the answers she needed "Now then, Why is Dionysus doing all this, and where can we find him?"

"I don't know what you're made of, Able, but it is stronger stuff than I... Are you okay to keep digging?"

Aren't you supposed to be famous for fire... didn't I see you flicking fire about the place at some point? Able grumbled to himself mentally.

He could easily have been wrong about that they were reaching the point where all the supernatural magical stuff he'd seen had started blurring into one now. He's even forgotten what Vera actually looked like, now he just assumed if it wasn't a regular member of the group (and wasn't trying to rip his face off) then it was probably Vera.

He should probably start making more effort to communicate with people who weren't Nicole and Remus. Oh but who's got the energy? None of them could understand a word he signed anyway and it wasn't like he had time to go writing everything down for them, it was a miracle his phone had survived this long he couldn't carry a deck of flashcards.

But this wasn't the time for grumbling, the time for grumbling wouldn't come back for a long time. Able just kept digging, dislodging one stone after another and slowly soaking his shirt through with sweat as he did his best to endure the blistering heat. Why do I always end up getting soaked in something on this stupid quest?!

But he was getting close, just one more stone left unturned, Able jsut hoped it would be worth it. Even his skin was starting to feel the sting of the intense heat.

"No...that can't be right."

Nicole felt a sudden urge to hug Remus, he had lost someone close to him, a family member most likely his mother. No doubt one of the horribly butchered corpses they had seen back in that barn, she hoped the woman hadn't been in too much pain when she died. Fear also rose in her, what if Dio is targeting our families? We need to stop him soon...

She didn't hug Remus though, feeling it would be too sudden, instead she walked up and placed a hand comfortingly on his shoulder. For a moment she wasn't sure what to say, never having had to deal with something like this before, but after a pause she spoke.

"I'm sorry, I wish there was more I could say," she began a bit weakly "Maybe it was someone else though who just heard your name, or maybe we can still help her, there are a bunch of stories about rescuing the dead from the underworld," she finished, still uncertain but trying to provide some semblance of hope. Maybe Hades can even help us, though with how he's acting that seems unlikely, no we can't give up hope yet.

Dis soon arrived though, and the questioning began, well he's helping us now at least.

Able dislodged the last stone, revealing an alarmingly sharp spear tip. It glowed ember red, as if it had just been forged. Digging deeper, Able revealed the rest of the weapon. The pole itself was made of a light-coloured wood, and had a red ribbon tied about a third of the way down. On the ribbon was a Latin inscription.

Wrapping his hands around the spear, Able pulled it out with an almighty struggle. It was far lighter than he had anticipated, and the spear head began to cool quickly, free of it's confinement.

Leaning over into the small hole, Prometheus called out.

"What is it? What have you found?"

-----------------------------------------------------

The stranger looked at Aria as she spoke, struggling to process the words. These strangers were the first ones to speak to him since his demise, and they felt somehow off, somehow inhuman. He answered slowly, requiring a great deal of concentration.

"Dionysus? He said that...he needs followers. Power. He said he'd claim us from here when the time is right. Victory in death, victory in death..."

His words turned into a shallow mumble as his mind trailed off, yet the stranger perked up as he remembered the second question.

"He said he was off to make final preparations. A binding; binding for someone. Needs...chains? Aha!"

He quickly stood tall as a memory, clearer than any other, burst into his mind.

"Binding of the wolf!"

With his energy again exerted, he collapsed to the ground, breathing, but spent. Dis watched on in distinct curiosity, his brow deeply furrowed, clearly trying to make sense of the strangers words.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 . . . 57 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked