Children of the Gods: Arc 2 [Game/Closed]

Pages PREV 1 . . . 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 . . . 57 NEXT

Andrew woke up disoriented. He had slept well, better than for a long while, it felt like. However, he was rather confused and unsure. The surgeon to-be wasn't aware of it yet, but his mind was desperately trying to make sense of what had happened after he had healed Aria. There was a hole there, due to him passing out so suddenly. For now, Andrew just felt out of his element.  

It wasn't the first time it had happened, if he fell asleep while studying, or when listening to music, basically any time he had not intended to, Andrew would feel like this. And he loathed it. He felt like his own mind was working against him, he felt unintelligent and vunerable. In this state of unsureness, he walked over to a person who might be able to answer, Andrew not even noticing or realizing that Prometheus was speaking to him.  

"Etna," he said, making sure she was awake. Any other person might hesitate to ask what he was about to ask, but Andrew didn't. He just wanted to make sense of it all. "Did we have sex yesterday?" His tone wasn't sarcastic or rude, just... Confused. Honestly puzzled. Why her? Was it even her? Or just someone with dark hair? While he was waiting for an answer, he glanced around. It was a forest. They were still in the forest? Oh. So that hadn't happened. Was it a dream then? It had to have been someone else, similar to her.

"Nevermind." However, he didn't leave just yet. "What happened after I healed Aria?" He was still a bit confused, but not in a bad mood.  

I'm hungry, though.

"Everyone up. Lets go, lets go; don't want to spend too much time out here." Prometheus said, getting them up. Vera groggily got up and started moving. She'd spent much of the evening following Andrew's instructions - keeping the bandages wet and providing pills as needed. Between that, she'd been able to get a few hours of sleep; enough to keep her going but little else.

Turning to look at the group, she noted Aria was also awake and joking - a good sign - but, despite her best efforts, was clearly still in pain - a not so good sign. Taking the blessing, she got up and headed over to Aria where she gave her the rest of the pills and a full water bottle. "Just in case" she said quietly, pretending to fall for her ploy.

Once that was done, she turned to Prometheus as asked "So, what's the plan?" Normally she wouldn't have talked to the proto-god if her life depended on it, but between the last two days she just didn't have the energy to care.

The first thing Etna woke up to was a strange question, followed by some others. She snorted and shook her him, "No. Christ, is that all you care about?" And got up. She stretched and thought about the little situation she found herself in; she could have fun with this, but it probably wasn't the best one idea to mess with a head that seemed to be already messed up. 'Wait, I'm not sleep-manipulating am I? ' Etna lowered her arms and smirked at that thought, 'Like that would ever happen.' With that, she turned to Andrew, "Ask the others." At least Etna had stopped herself from adding 'sicko' to that sentence...

"No. Christ, is that all you care about?"

"A simple no would suffice," he replied, remembering that he wasn't going to be rude to her. It was hard not to do. Her reaction amused him though, perhaps it was the snorting, but he had to smirk.

How very charming.

He had to admit that it was almost cute. Of course, it was Etna, which negated anything that could be ever cute. She was like a bee, stinging you the second you came to close to her.

"And, to answer your question, no. I just felt like asking. I have vivid dreams." Would she like hearing that? Of course not, but it was the explanation, and it wasn't really rude. "It wasn't actually you, though. Just someone who shared a few traits. So don't worry, or whatever." At least, he doubted it was her. By now, he was getting less confused. From experience, he realized that he had probably been too tired to do anything after healing Aria. That would explain the confusion, as well as the place he had woken up.

"Ask the others."

"No need, I managed to piece it together myself." He started walking away, but turned back to her. "Sorry to have bothered you." Now she had no reason to get upset. Andrew frowned. He didn't like saying sorry, even if it was just to avoid confrontation. He tended to avoid doing so even if he was pretending to be nice. The son of Apollo sighed, and went over to Aria.

"I'll finish healing you now," he muttered, and did so, not waiting for a reply. He held the most burned hand, and healed the rest of the wounds without letting go of it, channeling the healing through her body and to the damaged places. It took a short while, but with as much sleep as he had gotten, he felt like it was a lot easier than it had been the day before. His powers seemed to have increased, slightly, probably because of how much he had ended up using them. When he was done, he let go of her.

"There. Skin will be sensitive, use sun-screen. The pain should be gone soon." Now, what to do? Right, Vera. He had told her to take care of Vera, and from the looks of it, she had. He turned to her. What to say, though?

"Not bad." That was all the people who he had to talk to, right? Probably. It seemed like they were going to leave now, so he made sure he had all his stuff, and walked up to Prometheus. "Where are we headed?"

Able woke up easily enough. Super easily in fact. Sleeping in an unfamiliar place always did that to him, that combined with a hatred of camping made last night a very restless one. Staying up to help on watch at least gave him an excuse to stay up and keep moving for a while. Everything they'd gone through the past day had put him on edge and catching up on what had happened to Aria and Vera hadn't helped his mood. For the time he'd helped keep watch he'd mostly paced around the camp site, throwing looks back at the prone members of their party like an over anxious guard dog.

At least morning was here now. Everything looked less dire in clear light of day. Now they just had to get moving.

"Where are we headed?"

Abe moved to the centre of the group and scratched a line in the dirt with the spear shaft. An arrow pointing upwards with a big capital "N" at the top. Dis said that they had to go North to find the Norse gods and Abe was determined to find some of them.

Nicole slept lightly for the most part, though once she had woken and eaten some of the deer she found it somewhat easier to drift off. Her dreams were troubling, but she didn't remember them on waking, only a sense of mixed excitement and fear and the image of a fading golden glow. She shuddered and started to stand up, that power boost, blessing or whatever, its fading, or maybe faded already hard to tell. It wasn't entirely unexpected but she still felt a pang of loss, that power had helped them when they needed it sure, but it would certainly make things easier to still have it, besides she couldn't think of the last time her mother had given her a gift.

She walked over to the rest of the group but didn't say anything, Abe had drawn an N in the ground, suggesting they go North. The wolf, Fenrir, was their only lead, and if her hunch was right the spear came from the Norse gods, so North seemed the best choice to her.

Remus was seated by the remains of the fire, in the same position he was at the end of the night. He hadn't gotten a wink of sleep. His mind was too tense to allow for that. Having spent the entire night awake and alert, Remus was clearly exhausted.

"Everyone up. Lets go, lets go; don't want to spend too much time out here."

He groggily turned his head around as he heard Prometheus and saw the others stir from their sleeps. Remus grumbled and pulled himself slowly from the ground. His muscles ached. Remus' body felt brittle - hard and tense still but able to snap if too much pressure was put on it.

He saw Prometheus approach Aria and Andrew. "You two alright? Good to walk?"

"No concerns about me then?" Remus thought bitterly. He would have spoken that thought it he wasn't so tired. As the others continued to awake and approach Prometheus, Remus' attention was caught by Able as he spotted him. The mute had also helped watch over the camp last night. "Not that I needed any help."

He watched as Able drew an arrow and the letter N in the sand. Remus stared in confusion at the drawing and blinked a few times. "What?" he said, clearly too tired to recognize the obvious symbol.

Prometheus mused over the N Able drew. North; to the Norse gods, the one place he had never been, and the last place he wanted to go. Everyone was up and apparently okay; Andrew was talking shit, Etna was her usual charming self. He could have almost laughed.

Addressing the group, from the other side of the N symbol, he tried to work out what they had learned.

"So I take it we're going North then. Which means a plane."

His face grew slightly pale; he didn't like flying as is, and their last experience was less than enjoyable.

"Which means we need to get back to the city. Have some good food. Stock up, etc. So I suppose we just...follow the river?"

He shrugged; his guess was as good as anyone's. Picking up a sturdy looking branch, he swinged his backpack over his shoulder. Reaching in with a free hand, he whisked out his flask. Taking a swig, he looked at it, before offering it to the group, swallowing.

"It's going to be a long walk. Anyone can have some except Aria; don't want to compromise her health right now. Are you alright to walk?"

AFter Aria's yelp in pain, he did not believe her "I'll be fine." Steven grabbed then broke off a thick and reasonable straight branch, then rapped one end in Duct tape. He gave the walking stick to Aria.

"So I take it we're going North then. Which means a plane. Which means we need to get back to the city. Have some good food. Stock up, etc. So I suppose we just...follow the river?It's going to be a long walk. Anyone can have some except Aria; don't want to compromise her health right now. Are you alright to walk?"

"Actually, we may not have to," Steven said, "Trains cover Europe, it will be easier and cheaper to cross countries in the EU by rail than it will be by air. Airport security will be more likely to notice we have the same passports of a group of people who should of died in a plane crash."

Aria thanked Andrew for the extra healing then rolled her eyes at the Titan, after popping a couple pain killers in her mouth and chasing them with some of the water Vera gave her "pff ... I bet I can STILL hold my liquor better then you." she snarked as she took the walking stick from Steven, though she really wasn't in the mood for what ever he was drinking anyway.

While they sorted out travel arrangements, Aria walked over to Remus "Hey, how you holden up?" she asked, a little concered about his well being, not from being up all night but from the loss he recently suffered.

As Prometheus held out the flask, Remus stared at it with half-open eyes. After thinking for a moment, the demigod reached forward and took the flask. He held it up to his lips and took a long heavy swig. Remus hadn't drunken alcohol in years - he had forgotten how strong the burning taste of it was.

"Hey, how you holden up?"

Remus coughed a bit as he pulled his mouth from the flask and faced Aria. He felt a bit of alcohol dribbled down his chin and wiped it off. "I'm fine." he lied.

"So I take it we're going North then. Which means a plane."

Because that is going to be enjoyable.

He wasn't really scared of flying, even with the last experience, but when someone was after them, a plane was unsafe. There was always the trains, but he wasn't sure if those would be fast enough. The best thing would probably be to get a mini-bus, and drive themselves, especially if other people's safety was to be taken into consideration. It wouldn't be as fast as a plane, but if they took shifts, it would be faster than a train. He was about to suggest it, but decided against that.

Why am I even bothering? No one is going to listen to me. I'll let the less intelligent decide, I guess, and just tag along.

He had a feeling that whatever he said, someone would get offended by it.

"Which means we need to get back to the city. Have some good food. Stock up, etc. So I suppose we just...follow the river? It's going to be a long walk. Anyone can have some except Aria; don't want to compromise her health right now."

Andrew wouldn't mind drinking, but he decided that having his mind stay sharp was probably the best. As Aria had demonstrated yesterday, someone could get hurt at any moment, and he didn't want to experience just what the consequences of drinking and healing were. Besides, other people needed it more. With him passing out, he was probably the more well-rested person there. Remus took the bottle, and started drinking. The Italian looked rather horrible, and remembering how he had reacted to Andrew speaking the day before, Andrew decided not to comment on it.

He glanced over at Nicole, she might be able to help Remus. Unlike him, she could actually do something about exhaustion, although she might be too tired herself. And even if she wasn't, he had no intention of talking to her, considering how she had spoken to him the day before. What a mess, all of them were. Everyone apart from him.

Who was the moron who let Remus stay up, though?

Andrew wasn't sure why Remus was as angry as he was, but some sleep could probably have helped. Oh well, none of this would have happened if they had listened to him before, and actually walked into the city before it got dark. He wasn't going to rub it in their faces, though, he had no reason to hear them tell him what he already knew, that he was right. However, they should at least have acknowledged that he was useful for something else than being a healing machine. Andrew sighed. This was starting to get annoying again.

Because every other day has been so fun.

Now he wished he could bother Etna. Her reactions usually were amusing, especially the one this morning.

I guess I'm a twisted person for thinking that. Kirsten would have had a lecture prepared, if she had heard me say something like that.

Wait. What? Why had he thought about her?

...that didn't happen.

Nicole didn't have much to say as the others discussed the plan, she didn't know much about travelling in Europe, though a plane certainly seemed faster than a train to her. Of course both options had plenty of innocent bystanders on board who could get hurt if something happened. Too bad we don't have Dan's horse or something like that anymore, then again Prommy did say that taking that would give us away or something.

She considered asking about where they wanted to go in terms of North, there were plenty of different places to the North after all. Then again Prommy likely knew where they needed to go in terms of North, especially if they were seeking the Norse gods, not like any of them would know where to look for those. If I had to guess though I'd say Norway, or one of the other Scandinavian countries.

As she thought about this she couldn't help but notice Andrew glancing at her, it was impossible to tell what he was thinking about from his expression, is he worried I still think he's an ass or something? Not likely, and I dunno if I do, he is but he's also rather pathetic, at least he's on our side though.

She sighed and walked over to him "What's on your mind?" she asked.

Etna listened on the travel discussion, walked over to them and a gave her opinion on the matter. It was short and sharp, "It doesn't matter; shit's going to happen either way." Sure, she didn't want something like the Loki incident to happen again, but there was really nothing they could do about it. Speaking of Loki, what if the Norse Gods were all like that? But they had to get away from here, and North was as good a direction as any. Those thoughts scattered as she noticed Nicole walk over to Andrew, and wondered why someone would bother with a person like him. Then again, it looked like the group as a whole was in a pretty pathetic state. It reminded her of her school days, of when she had been lumped with people she didn't like and who hated her back. 'This is much more important than that, shame some people aren't acting accordingly.' She mused.

"What's on your mind?"

He hadn't noticed Nicole walking over to him, so he was a bit surprised. However, he didn't show that, just replied.

"I don't see how that's any of your business." Why was she even asking? The day before she had called him out on being a bad human being, was she going to lecture him again. However, Andrew decided that he might as well take this chance to ask her to fix Remus. Besides, this was the first time in a while someone had actually asked what was on his mind.

"I was just wondering if you could give Remus a boost of energy. There is no use doing so if you're too tired, but if not it might help. Only till we get somewhere we can relax." He wondered if he should mention the other thing, with the mini-bus.

This might be my only chance to do that, they might actually listen to Nicole.

"And... I think a mini-bus would be smarter than a train or a plane. If we're attacked, it means less innocent people that could get involved, it's faster than taking the trains, and with a mini-bus we could easily get all the way to Denmark without having to move from train to train. If I remember correctly from my stay in Denmark, it is possible to get to both Norway and Iceland by ships that also takes cars and buses, or to Sweden by driving." He hadn't really expected his stay in the country to ever be relevant on this trip, but then again, they had started out in Australia.

"Trains these days are unreliable either way. And if we miss one, it might mess up a whole schedule." He examined her. Had she even understood? Andrew wasn't sure, the only times he had spoken to her, she had been mad at him.

"Of course, feel free to ignore me. I'm just a jerk, right?" he added, smirking. It was half-way a joke, although he wasn't really able to convey that, with this tone of voice.

Aria frowned, she didn't believe Remus when he said he was fine at all. "Well, when your ready to talk about it, lemme know." She replied, and walked over to Vera and hugged her. "Thanks again, for saving me and tending to my wounds all night. It means a lot to me."

Thumping his staff against the ground, he mused over the suggestions. Train or Mini-bus seemed like the best options; though Etna did make a good point. It seemed to him best to minimize risk to innocents, as Andrew had stated. Holding his hand up against his eyes to block the sun, he spoke.

"Andrew does raise a good point; I'd rather not endanger any more people. So I guess we'll get a minibus. Having never been to the Northern countries, I don't actually know where we are going. We'll get a boat to Italy then drive up, I guess. We can walk and talk though; best not to waste any time."

Retrieving his flask from the group, he began walking with youths in tow, talking to nobody in particular.

"So what did the stranger say in Hades? Why are we going North? Something about Fenrir..."

Turning suddenly, a thought struck him. Surveying the group, he made a face indicating his uneasiness; Aria in particular was in bad shape. Remus seemed to be alright, though he hadn't slept.

"Errm. Aria, do you want me to carry you?"

"So what did the stranger say in Hades? Why are we going North? Something about Fenrir... Errm. Aria, do you want me to carry you?"

Aria pondered this a moment, then stuck out her index finger, a very tiny ball of energy started to form before pffting out "Awesome .... I'm thirteen all over again" she said in annoyed sarcasm. "Yeah I'll take that ride I guess." Aria said as she walked over to the titan " As for Fenrir, it sound like Dio is after what ever is binding him and not the wolf it self, I could be wrong but that's what it sounded like. Ether way, I just hope the Norse gods that are on our side are more personable then the others we've run into. Seriously, Dis trying to drown us was just a dick move."

-"I just hope the Norse gods that are on our side are more personable then the others we've run into. Seriously, Dis trying to drown us was just a dick move."

Able gave a nod and a raise of his eyebrows to try and bring across a I hear that! look. He grabbed a quick swig from the flask as it was being passed around and trudged along with the group. A few people were suggesting the same things he would, the train may not be as fast but it was at least a little bit safer than a plane. At least if it got hijacked by supernatural terrorists then at least they wouldn't have to worry about a hundred foot drop.

Most things are better without a fatal drop.

Able's gaze eventually found Remus. He'd been in a bad mood all of yesterday but it was understandable given what had happened, but he was still down and too mny people's nerves were fraying these days. The group would start tearing at each other in no time if it kept up.

Why does it always leave me to be the social one these days? Able sighed internally.

He wandered through the group and sidled up to Remus, shooting him as cheery a grin as Abe could muster in their current situation. He even offered Remus a turn with the spear, maybe it would give him something else to think about.

"So what did the stranger say in Hades? Why are we going North? Something about Fenrir..."

"Dis said a lot of things," Steven said, "However, I don't even believe half of what that god said. He seemed really intent on getting us to dine with him, up till he saw the spear from the sky. He also seemed to be trying to a drive a wedge between you and the rest of us, asking what 'what did the Titan offer you?' We only guessed it was Fenrir, since we have ran into Loki already, and Fenrir was the only Wolf god we could think of. As far as we know, it MIGHT be somebody else."

"Thanks again, for saving me and tending to my wounds all night. It means a lot to me." Aria said, hugging her. Vera wasn't exactly sure what to say. Given how abrasive both of them had been, she'd certainly not expected it; at most she'd expected a simple thank you.

Recovering as quickly as she could, she replied "Any time." and returned to the discussion of how to get north and how to combat Fenrir.

"Of course, feel free to ignore me. I'm just a jerk, right?"

"Andrew does raise a good point; I'd rather not endanger any more people. So I guess we'll get a minibus. Having never been to the Northern countries, I don't actually know where we are going. We'll get a boat to Italy then drive up, I guess. We can walk and talk though; best not to waste any time."

Nicole nodded, ignoring Andrew's last comment, "Yeah sounds like a good plan to me," she said "As for Remus I'm not sure, I could but it would be temporary, I'll ask him if he wants the boost I guess. Thanks for sharing."

With that she walked over to Able and Remus, "Hey," she said simply, Remus still looked like he was hurting in addition to being tired, I would be too if my dad died, not sure anything I can say will help him there. After a brief pause she spoke again "You stayed up all night huh? You must be tired, I can give you a bit of energy if you want, won't last forever but it might help a little."

She wondered if she should mention that it was Andrew's idea, deciding that she would after Remus responded to the offer. He was pretty upset by how Andrew had acted on the beach, even more so than me, and if he knew it was Andrew's idea he might reject it out of hand.

Prometheus bent his knee and placed Aria on his shoulders like a child. His broad frame carried her with ease; having fought less than the others, he had the strength to carry her comfortably.

His stubble had progressed to a short, unkempt beard over the trip, and he scratched it as Steven spoke.

"Hmm. Dividing us sounds like Dis; no idea why he might be uneasy about the spear. In any case, I would go with the Fenrir lead for now; any mention of what Dionysus wanted with him, or the binding? Walk and talk."

He set off, hoping the others would follow. They were a short hike from Syracuse, where hopefully they could catch a ferry across to Italy. Aria seemed content to bounce along on his shoulders. Lucky she was small. Looking up, he spoke to Aria.

"Do you know anything about the Norse gods? Also, see if you can wave Able over; you two are our links to any friends we may have."

A small flash in the distance, from the Pillar of Nike, caught his eye. He called out to Nicole.

"Hey Nicole! Are you on good terms with mother dearest?"

"Well, when your ready to talk about it, lemme know." Remus sighed and mumbled in response. "I said I'm fine..." He didn't like being pitied. It made him feel weaker than he was.

He listened inattentively as the others discussed important matters. He was too tired to understand fully what they were saying. Something about Fenrir and the Norse Gods and minibuses. Although Remus didn't understand most of it, he felt he didn't really need to. All he needed to do was follow the others and rip apart anything that got in the way. ""That's all I'm good at."

His mind was then turned to Able again. The mute had walked up next to him with a grin on his face. Remus was compelled to return his own smile, weak as it would look. Then Able held out the spear in an gesture of offering. Remus stared at the weapon for a bit, taking time to think before he shook his head. "Keep it. I've got enough weapons weighing me down."

Remus' attention was caught by Nicole this time as she approached him. "Hey, You stayed up all night huh? You must be tired, I can give you a bit of energy if you want, won't last forever but it might help a little."

Although his first instinct was to shoot down her offer of help too, Remus' half-woken mind urged him otherwise. "You spent the whole night awake. You need some energy or your body will snap." it told him. Remus smiled, more broadly this time, at Nicole and nodded his head. "That would be sweet of you."

The right wasn't bad, a little bumpy but other wise fairly enjoyable.

"In any case, I would go with the Fenrir lead for now; any mention of what Dionysus wanted with him, or the binding? Walk and talk."

Aria shook her head "The spirit passed out before I could get much more out of him. The only other thing is apparently the people who sacrificed them selves to Dionysus are 'waiting to be called back up' for something. Donno if there's any truth to it or if it was a lie so Dio could gain more power from the offering of ones life though."

"Do you know anything about the Norse gods? Also, see if you can wave Able over; you two are our links to any friends we may have."

"Only what I read in a few Wiki pages, and Freya wasn't around long enough in that dream she dropped in on at the start of this for me to get a good bead on her but she seemed nice enough. I hope she's nice, I have a favor I wanna ask her." Aria said, answering the Titan's other question, as she turned around and called Able over.

"That would be sweet of you."

"No problem," she replied with a smile, glad to see Remus acting more cheerful, her wings unfolded in miniature for a brief moment as she sent the golden aura to Remus, she wasn't sure how long it would last but it ought to help at least a little, "It was Andrew's idea, I hope it helps."

"Hey Nicole! Are you on good terms with mother dearest?"

Prometheus yelled as she finished the blessing, she turned towards him as the wings faded away, am I? I mean we've never had an argument or anything she's just never around. I don't really care about her I guess, but I dunno how she feels about me, she doesn't really show much...

"I guess so," she replied somewhat hesitantly "We don't talk much, but we've never had a fight or anything either. Why are you asking?"

She remembered the pillar of Nike was nearby, and she did remember the power boost she assumed had come from her mother, was her mom still sticking around there? If so they could do with a little assistance, though it would certainly be nice if Nike would just come to them, rather than make them hike their way up to her. Even so we could do with some more victory...

He heard that? I'm surprised he didn't just ignore it.

"Yeah sounds like a good plan to me. As for Remus I'm not sure, I could but it would be temporary, I'll ask him if he wants the boost I guess. Thanks for sharing."

Why are you thanking me?

It was obvious, he was just pointing out what everyone else would have gotten long ago if they weren't idiots.

At least it's better to be thanked than yelled at.

Part of him liked to be thanked, while the other part decided to ignore it. Outwardly, he shrugged. "Someone needs to do the thinking around here," he muttered. Nicole walked over to talk to Remus, and Andrew paid attention to them while walking himself, if only to make sure Remus took the boost. Nicole didn't mention Andrew's involvement in it when she asked if Remus wanted some extra energy, that at least was good judgment on her side. However, after Remus had taken it, Andrew heard Nicole mention his name, and looked away from the two, in case she had noticed him looking over there again.

Why did you mention my name now? You were doing so well.

Andrew had no reason to, nor any desire, to be involved with the pissed off Remus. He heard Prometheus mention something about the Pillar of Nike, even if there turned out to be nothing there now, it would still work as a way to make sure they were on the right track. Other people were talking. No one said anything else of interest to him. Andrew decided to ignore all of them. Remus was going to be as good as he could be right now, and no one else needed his help, so he had the liberty of doing so.

His mind touched upon Kirsten again, and he steered it away. Anything but that, she was forgotten, cut off from his like as one would do with a tumor. However, it went dark, to the place where he often ended up after a while. Philosophy wasn't his strongest field, because it always ended up like that. Thinking about the meaning of life, and death, of all that. Then, thinking the same thoughts he had thought before, just... not the same. His meaning with life was to help people, and his powers would help with that, right?

What happens if it becomes too much help?

The natural order of life, illness was as natural of healthiness. Did that mean that his role was as two-sided as his powers?

I'm half a god, does that give me the right to manipulate that much of a human life?

Andrew shook his head, this wasn't the time to think about that.

I need to stop being a fool like this.

He had been occupied earlier, he had been stressed. And now he wasn't. Yet, his mind still went to that point. He found himself wanting to stop walking, hesitate, slightly. However, he was too proud to let it show, the only hint of him being worried was in his eyes. He kept ignoring the others, however.

As the gold aura surrounded Remus, he felt an invigorating energy flow through his body. His muscles ceased to ache and the anxious thoughts that pecked at his thoughts were replaced by confidence. He let out a breath, the sort a starved prisoner might make after getting water for the first time in days. Remus was still physically tired, and knew the buff wouldn't last forever, but he didn't care. He was feeling fine now and that was all that mattered.

"It was Andrew's idea, I hope it helps." he heard Nicole say before Prometheus called her over.

That surprised Remus. "Is that so?" He hadn't expected Andrew to be concerning himself with the welfare of others, considering what an ass he had been the night before. "Maybe he was just in a bad mood." He remembered the doctor had always been friendly and helpful previously.

Remus then turned to face Andrew. He walked over and placed his hand on the doctor's shoulder. "Hey." he said, then flashed a smile. "Thanks." Remus removed his hand from Andrew's shoulder and continued to walk along.

Andrew was soon enough snapped out of his attempt of pretending that no one else in the world existed.

"Hey. Thanks."

Remus was... smiling to him. Even placing his hand on his shoulder for a short amount of time. Was Nicole's aura really that powerful? How much of a mess had Andrew been the day before, then? Andrew eyed him carefully. The man remembered what he had said the day before, right?

This is unnerving, he was so mad before.

Andrew wasn't sure about what he should do, not at all, which just ended up annoying him.

Why did Nicole have to bring my name into this? I mean, I don't mind being thanked, but it's not necessary, not at all.

He considered just not saying anything, but that might make things more difficult. Should he put on the mask again? No, he didn't desire that anymore. Even if it meant trouble, right now, for the remainder of this quest, around this group, he didn't want to pretend anymore. Andrew finally spoke.

"This is the last time I'll say it," he said, sounding mostly professional, and slightly annoyed. There was a coldness in his words that was unmistakable. "I'm a doctor. My job is to make sure people are physically fine, and do whatever I can if they are not. There is no reason to thank me." He knew that this might lead to conflict, but he didn't feel scared, due to a inability to become truly frightened. However, he was still wary of the other, his hazel eyes examining the other to see his reaction, and attempt to understand it.

"Now, unless there is something you need help with, leave me alone."

Prometheus turned his head to Nicole, shifting Aria's weight across his shoulders. He spoke plainly; there was no use, or need, for secrets at this point.

"I've seen lights at her pillar; felt odd winds and all that. I just wonder what goes on up there, is all. And whether we should check it out."

From the back of the group he could hear Andrew...being Andrew. The Titan shook his head; he didn't know what to do with him.

Rounding a narrow turn in the woods, the town of Syracuse came into view. Approaching from the West, the group had made it to the outskirts of the city; small houses lined cobbled roads, and the sun was high in the sky; plenty of light left in the day.

Speaking to the group, he kept walking, Aria's shoes kicking into his waist.

"If people ask, we've been on a forest hike. Let's get some food while we're around."

Narrowing his eyes, he could just make out a small restaurant; The Phoenix Grill. It sounded nice enough, and they could do with some good food. He thumbed the credit card Hekate had given him, praying it still worked. Making a mental note to contact her somehow, he looked again at Aria.

"Think you can walk from here? Or do you want to pretend to be my daughter?"

"Nah, I'll walk my self, thanks for the lift though" Aria said as she was set down "Sides" Stretching a bit "I needed to stretch." while she stretched she thought about what they should do about the pillar. "If its only a little out of our way, can't hurt I guess, but my powers are being pissy, and not recharging like they should so keep that in mind while planning treks through potentally hostile areas."

"I've seen lights at her pillar; felt odd winds and all that. I just wonder what goes on up there, is all. And whether we should check it out."

Nicole considered it briefly "Yeah we probably should, before we entered the underworld I felt like something or someone gave me a boost, probably was mom," she said "If nothing else we should thank her, and see if she can help us out in any other ways."

She wondered if Nike could give her that blessing, or whatever it was, again maybe for longer this time. It would be nice to have but she wouldn't want it to run out when they needed it. A weapon might be nice as well, she was getting a bit tired having to fly about distracting and supporting others, being able to attack on her own would be nice. Might be able to pick something up in the town if nothing else... a bow might work though I'm not sure how well I could fire it without having anything to stand on, proper stance is important for that sort of thing.

Remus' smile was replaced by a frown at Andrew's words. "Oh. Still an asshole then." With that Remus turned his blue eyes away from the doctor and resumed walking, increasing his pace slightly to place distance between himself and Andrew.

It was long before the group reached Sarausa. Although he had lived on the island for most of his life, Remus had never been to the old city. He never had any reason to. If he wasn't still a bit tired from being on watch last night, he might have been able to better admire the sights.

One building did catch his eye though. Prometheus seem to been gazing at it as well. Phoenix Grill; an unusual name. English was rarely seen in the deep south. Maybe it was an American-themed restaurant. Whatever it was, Remus didn't care. He hadn't consumed anything but whiskey between now and last night. His stomach was growling like a lion.

"If people ask, we've been on a forest hike. Let's get some food while we're around."

"Sounds good to me. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm starved." he said.

Able gave Remus a nod as he turned down the spear. It was a lame idea anyway. The mute stepped over to their titan guide at Aria's call. Her arm was looking better at least, not that that was saying much. Prometheus was asking about what the two of them could tell them about the Norse gods or at least the myths around them. Of course Able could tell him a good deal, he'd been reading up on the Norse stuff since he found out about his dad. Of course it was impossible for hims to tell any of them that while they were on the move! Abe just slumped his shoulders and sullenly carried on.

Come on man, why even bother asking me on the road?

The town they were coming into looked really nice, in fact everything they'd found in Italy had been really nice and idyllic when t wasn't trying to kill them or was covered in the gore of other people having being killed. Painting an image of Italy as a country of extremes. True Able couldn't hold the sights he'd seen in the underworld against this world but there was still the vineyard massacre site. Of course he couldn't forget Gaea's house of fun under Ayers Rock. If they went in search of the Norse gods then who knew what they'd find up north.

We should open an alternative travel agency after all this is over... and bomb completely.

Once they made it to the restaurant Able asked one of the waitresses for paper and pen like a socially acceptable mime. She got on board with it very quickly was happy to lend him a hand (she thought he was deaf). So after ordering some pizza because how often did he get to eat a real Italian pizza? He joined the group and set about scribbling down what he wanted to say. It had felt like forever until he could actually 'talk' to the others.

[I've done my share of research on the Norse gods, can't say I know any of them personally though so I can't say what good it'll do. Anything you want to know?] He scrawled the note down and slid it over to Prometheus.

The thought occurred to Able that he'd only told Nicole which god he was related to and she'd never even heard of Vidarr. Not that he could blame her, from what able had read of him his dad had a pretty crappy PR team.

Prometheus watched as Able made a beeline to the restaurant, already seated and equipped with pen and paper while the others tried to catch up. He chuckled loudly as he shepherded the group into the building.

"Someone's hungry!"

The group was seated in a large booth at the far corner; their window looking out over a few hills, and deep into the forest from whence they came. The Phoenix Grill was decorated like an amalgamation of America and Italy; various references to Roman and Phoenician history scattered the walls, though somewhat inaccurately. It was tacky; the waitresses wore black-smocks with a phoenix grilling assorted meats. Still, it was nice to take a break for a moment.

Able, Nicole, Andrew and Remus were seated opposite to Vera, Etna, Steven and Aria. Prometheus dragged a chair over, to sit somewhat askew next to Vera, on the edge of the booth.

The group was handed menus, save Able, who sheepishly had already ordered pizza. Looking at his scrawled note, Prometheus did have a question.

"If you were to take a guess, who would be aligned with Loki? We should steer clear of them."

Another thought struck him, and he now spoke to Vera.

"What about the Persian Gods? Do you know where they'd stand?"

A waitress brought over several pitchers of water, one of which Prometheus hastily downed.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 . . . 57 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked