The Bureau For A Better Tomorrow: A BPRD/SCP Inspired RP ( 3/5 Spots Taken )

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Introduction:

The BBT is an organization dedicated to dealing with any and all threats to the free world that are out of the scope of basic of human understanding. The players take the role of Agents and are sent out to deal with anything out of the norm, from ghosts to mad scientists, aliens to eldritch horrors, Item acquisition to erasing evidence.

Setting:

The Date is 1919, in the wake of the first world war. The Bureau was created as a secret addendum to Treaty of Versailles, and is made up of the best of the best operatives from every country around the world.

For Those Interested:

Join up with the group or contact me via PM for more info.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/The-Bureau-For-A-Better-Tomorrow

Example Sheet=

Hmm... through in some conspiracies... and I think it could work.

Why do I say that?

Because the basic format of "go over there and capture/kill beastie" isn't really going to keep people coming in for long.

Also, you may as well add in some of the organizations from Deus Ex while you're at it. (though make sure no rival factions are suddenly banding together)

But it's not at all just "Go over there and capture/kill beastie."

Thought that was abundantly clear. It's set up to allow far more variety, that's why it isn't just a BPRD/Torchwood RP or something.

Also, Deus Ex stuff? In the 1920's? Hmm...

Sounds like a pretty cool premise.

Will they're be any alternate universe stuff going on, or will it be played completely straight?

Color me all sorts of interested mein friend. Not much *I can add other than that I'm afraid.

MortifiedPenguin:
Sounds like a pretty cool premise.

Will they're be any alternate universe stuff going on, or will it be played completely straight?

What, you mean like Bioshock Infinite type things? Absolutely.

ChrisCarTheMarauder:

Same exact thing? Because my nose bleed of confusion has yet to lessen.

Also, interested, though I do wonder if we can do non-combat thingies. Like scientist or engineer or whatever...?

Just wondering, is this literally an amalgamation of all of these organizations or a completely custom one for this RP and you were using the mish-mash as an example?

Ruedyn:

ChrisCarTheMarauder:

Also, interested, though I do wonder if we can do non-combat thingies. Like scientist or engineer or whatever...?

Well not exactly the same of course and not very much, just saying the possibilities are open.

But on that other note, I'm so glad you asked that, because I think I've found the perfect ruleset...

((Moved To OP))

HellsingerAngel:
Just wondering, is this literally an amalgamation of all of these organizations or a completely custom one for this RP and you were using the mish-mash as an example?

Merely an example.

Ah, I have an idea. For this RP, where is it on the scale of 'political-backed con jobs' to 'action movie/shootan' dudes'? Are there paranormal/supernatural elements? Can we replace 'History' with what is essentially a job interview?

deathbydeath:
Ah, I have an idea. For this RP, where is it on the scale of 'political-backed con jobs' to 'action movie/shootan' dudes'? Are there paranormal/supernatural elements? Can we replace 'History' with what is essentially a job interview?

Somewhere in the middle, but closer to the first. There's gonna be a lot of cover ups, and I might dial it back a few decades so we could explain the odd circumstances behind stuff like the USS Maine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Maine_(ACR-1)) and Jack The Ripper.

And you can do that In Addition to a normal history.

ChrisCarTheMarauder:

Thought that was abundantly clear. It's set up to allow far more variety, that's why it isn't just a BPRD/Torchwood RP or something.

Well, the MIB, SCP, and even BPRD are out of place by that standard.

TheDoctor455:

ChrisCarTheMarauder:

That's not true at all. And it would be really great if you quit telling me what my RP entails.

One last question: How willing to bend reality are you? The character I had in mind was an engineer who was a bit too into guns, and if he reached the ideal I had in my head he couldn't be completely realistic.

ChrisCarTheMarauder:

TheDoctor455:

ChrisCarTheMarauder:

That's not true at all. And it would be really great if you quit telling me what my RP entails.

I'm not.

I'm telling you what I think it entails.

BRPD was set up during WWII, so how could it be operating in 1920?

MIB was set up in 1960, so again, same question.

SCP... that one is a maybe... I don't think its ever stated when they started... hell the dates for everything they do are usually redacted.

So either you're basing your organization off of them... or I think you're going to have a hell of a time explaining how any of these organizations were operating in 1920. Short of time travel of course. Though... of those... only the SCP has multiple means of doing so... and those are unreliable at best. As for the MIB... don't recall any other than that terrible 3rd movie. I don't think the comics had time travel but I could be wrong.

BPRD... hmm... don't remember any Hellboy stories involving any time travel... aside from Rasputin or someone showing HB visions of the past.

I have tossed around an idea similar to this, but I don't think I post constantly enough to be a GM.

However, I can give you ideas for plots I have have thought up. :)

Although, my suggestion is make your own secret society based on things like SCP and X-com.

Most of them would not take so kindly to joining up with anybody, particularly SCP Foundation. >_>

Ok, I think I need to clarify something: The Bureau is not made up of agents from the BPRD, SCP, etc. It's just a gigantic worldwide organization that deals with everything out of the ordinary as opposed to there being different individual groups. I just used those names to give an idea of things to expect.

The BBT is an original creation and is unaffiliated with any other fictional canon.

deathbydeath:
One last question: How willing to bend reality are you? The character I had in mind was an engineer who was a bit too into guns, and if he reached the ideal I had in my head he couldn't be completely realistic.

Depends on how I feel after getting everything decided.

Not G. Ivingname:
I have tossed around an idea similar to this, but I don't think I post constantly enough to be a GM.

However, I can give you ideas for plots I have have thought up. :)

That would be great.

Ruedyn:

ChrisCarTheMarauder:

Cool, although what I meant was would this be like the era you want to set it in exactly or will there be other things going on?

Just a nitpick here, not really important, but the SCP Foundation isn't part of any government, they're an NGO.

MortifiedPenguin:

Ruedyn:

ChrisCarTheMarauder:

Cool, although what I meant was would this be like the era you want to set it in exactly or will there be other things going on?

Same time period roughly.

PrinceOfShapeir:
Just a nitpick here, not really important, but the SCP Foundation isn't part of any government, they're an NGO.

I'm aware, just used it as an example, has no bearing on anything.

Alright, got a group now, so anybody interested should join up there.

Do we need to do a sheet before joining?

deathbydeath:
Do we need to do a sheet before joining?

Nope, you can go ahead and join, then take care of your sheet at a later date.

BTW people, I'm doing the cut off for max number of players at 5 for right now.

Alright, got the rules laid out, got my first scenario lined up, all I need is a minimum of 2 more players.

Okay... can I have a tentative reserve?

Also... how do you feel about characters that... aren't quite human?

I would like to partake in this, but I would like to see an example sheet so I can get a feel for the aspects and skills you're looking for (the layout confuses me a bit, with the skills and whatnot).

TheDoctor455:
Okay... can I have a tentative reserve?

Also... how do you feel about characters that... aren't quite human?

You may.

Depends on what you have in mind. Throw me a PM.

EmperorZuma:
I would like to partake in this, but I would like to see an example sheet so I can get a feel for the aspects and skills you're looking for (the layout confuses me a bit, with the skills and whatnot).

Oh Snap, duh. Guess that would be great, should have remembered to do that way sooner.

I'll put this in the OP too, but here's an example sheet:

Bump for great justice.

Justice alone would suffice.

Could you or the players make the accepted sheets public, so I/others can be sure that we aren't treading too close to others?

deathbydeath:
Justice alone would suffice.

Could you or the players make the accepted sheets public, so I/others can be sure that we aren't treading too close to others?

Thing is, nobody has made a sheet yet, or I would.

hello there hope this sheet is decent and if my stats seems a little OP please tell me and i'll dull them down

Captain Anon:
hello there hope this sheet is decent and if my stats seems a little OP please tell me and i'll dull them down

Dave Matthews... I see what you did there...

Anyway first up, you seem to have allocated 27 points instead of 20, and your specialization needs to be a certain enemy type, in this case it looks like it would be Normal People.

If you need any help, don't hesitate to ask, but this sheet is unacceptable for right now.

ChrisCarTheMarauder:

Anyway first up, you seem to have allocated 27 points instead of 20, and your specialization needs to be a certain enemy type, in this case it looks like it would be Normal People.

If you need any help, don't hesitate to ask, but this sheet is unacceptable for right now.

ok I've put the skill points right on top of 20 and you said "it looks like it would be Normal People" what does that mean?

Captain Anon:

ChrisCarTheMarauder:

ok I've put the skill points right on top of 20 and you said "it looks like it would be Normal People" what does that mean?

Well, revised, it's still wrong. Now you only have have 17 points allocated, and Mental health starts out with a minimum of 2, you have one. I'm not seeing why this is so complicated for you.

As for the Normal People thing, it's exactly what I said, you didn't specify any specialization like you were supposed to, so I'm just assuming that your character is a sniper or something and that's it.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked