The Miskatonic University School of Ancient Sciences (Game Thread)

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

The Miskatonic University School of Ancient Sciences

The weather was good. Bright and sunny, but not overly hot or humid with just enough wind to keep it comfortable. Which, for Miskatonic University, was a bit strange. The weather on campus - and in Arkham as a whole - generally had two states: either arctic, bone-chilling cold the likes of which man was not meant to survive or hot and humid enough to resemble a stovetop and melt the very soles of your shoes. Ocasionally, the weather would take a turn for the comfortable, though these occasions usually coincided with test weeks and when projects were due, as if tempting you to enjoy college life at the cost of your college life. The only time this pattern didn't hold true was when parents were on campus. The prevailing theory was that if the parents knew the hellscape the campus usually was, the university would have no new lives to feed off, hence to stay alive it must appease the parentage. Other theories ranging from the engineering school's secret weather machine to a deal with unknown gods was responsible existed, though were rarely believed. In reality, most just blamed the northeast's disgusting weather patterns on the nature of the northeast.

In any event, it will therefore come as no surprise that parents were indeed on campus; this time for the time honored tradition known as orientation. It was the time when the parnets would drop off their new students, say their tearful goodbyes, pack the small dorm rooms with enough supplies to supply an excursion to the antarctic, say yet more tearful goodbyes, and leave. For the new students, it was a time to meet your roommates, your floor mates, and your residential advisers - a group incidentally who are far more cheery than seems entirely healthy - then generally figure out the lay of the land.

As the older students would tell you, campus had three parts - dorm side, the gardens, and academic side; each with their own curiosities.

The dorm side consisted of four ancient castle-like buildings that shot from the ground like steep mountains and were angled in such a way as to prevent any real estimate at the number of floors. Inside, the number of floors was made obvious by the dial above the elevator door which went up to fourteen, skipping thirteen as was the custom with buildings. Each floor had a number of rooms - usually around one hundred a floor, save the floors located in the towers in each corner which only held four per tower. The insides of the buildings all were built of thick heavy stone that kept the dorms a comfortable temperature no matter the weather - a saving grace of the school - and decorated like some Gothic chateau more at home in central Europe than Arkham Massachusetts. Each dorm had a name that, like nearly everything on campus, was taken from the college founders - Bloch, Howard, Derleth, and Lovecraft.

A fifth building completed the pentagram building layout that was unlike any of the others. It had no name to start with and was only two floors; though much larger in all other dimensions. The word Cafeteria was plastered above the entrance in place of the name; apparently no one wanted to be associated with the food emporium. Dozens upon dozens of signs hung from the windows and walls of the building, talking about clubs and shows, and looking for roommates. Most notable among the signs was the largest of them - attached to the door - which read "Try the Calamari". A smaller sign below it had an arrow pointed up and read "DON'T!" as either humor or warning; perhaps a little of both.

Completing the dorm side was a statue of a man in a lab-coat - his coat forever fluttering in invisible, intangible wind - holding a test tube up to his stern gaze. Below him the name "Howard" sat on a plate, announcing the statues depiction to the world.

Walking out of the five-sided quad, in the direction the statue of Howard stared, a long straight pathway stretched half a mile. This half mile was called the garden. To the left as you walked from the dorms, an open field stretched out for nearly two hundred yards, before reaching a thick, unbroken line of trees untouched by human hands. Half of the field was undedicated and open for use, while the other was a series of outdoor sporting stadiums, setup for soccer primarily.

In the other direction however, a large garden opened up, with a weaving of stone paths throughout the many flowers and shrubs. Benches sat in small alcoves, facing out into the colors of nature. A maze garden graced the middle of the garden. At the far end, the gardens gave way to beach and eventually to the mighty Atlantic; alive with the wind. Already, some could be seen surfing or resting on the benches, just as people were playing sports or relaxing in the field by the forest.

Half way between the ocean and the long path out of the dorms, and half way between the academic and dorm sides, at the opening to the maze, a bespectacled statue stood, one hand holding his glasses to his face by the bridge, his other holding a briefcase, in a proper three piece suit. The name Bloch sat below him, hidden by flowers.

As the half mile came to an end, buildings jutted once more from the ground like mountains of man's design. These were even larger than the dorm side buildings but still stretched out in the same pentagram formation. Each of the castle like buildings had a name upon it - The Howard School of Medicine, The Bloch School of Business and Law, The Derleth School of Sciences, and the Lovecraft School of Liberal Arts. The fifth building was comprised of three parts. The front of the building was the Student Union, where theoretically better-than-cafeteria food would be served. Above that were the administration offices, where the many good people who ran the college worked to ensure the college's continued success. In the back lay the most impressive feature of the school: the Library.

The Library was as large as any of the schools increased by half. The middle of the first floor was open, with a swirling, unearthly design carved into the floor, save in the very center where the librarian desk was located. Rooms for studying and labs were located along the perimeter of the first floor, Though well equipped, these were the least impressive features of the building. Each of the fifteen floors above the main floor were constructed of clear tinted glass or more likely plastic, allowing you to stare up into the reaches of the library. The direction and orientation of the shelves was different on each floor, only adding to the maze like quality of the library as seen from below.

At the center of the academic side pentagram stood a statue of a woman dressed in a lab coat not unlike Howard's, blowing in the same direction. She had a pencil behind her ear and dozens of papers in her hands covered in arcane mathematical and scientific symbols of significance. She too had a stern gaze on her face as she stared off in the direction of Howard, the two locked in an eternal staring contest that neither could ever win. Below her, the name Derleth sat, defining her identity for all of time.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Bye Mom!" Henrietta yelled as the old station-wagon of her mothers drove off into the distance and away from the school, her hands in the air. A honk of the horn greeted her before the car turned the corner and out of sight. Henrietta sighed in relief. She loved her mom, but she could be so... clingy when they separated. It wasn't like they were apart forever. Hell, she only lived an hour away by car so it wasn't even very hard to travel home; especially given her gift.

Henrietta was dressed in her best; a long black and purple skirt and a matching purple top, with a large sunhat. It was altogether likely too warm for the current weather, but the wind and the hat kept it bearable. That she was used to the New England weather helped more. In her hands she held a small purse holding what personal supplies she needed - in this particular case the orientation schedule.

Checking the time on her phone, she checked it against the schedule. According to the paper, in another half hour floor six of Lovecraft House would be meeting in the dorm-side quad to get to know each other. Until then, was time to "get to know your roommate" which seemed entierly unhelpful to her since her roommate - a girl named Stephanie - had yet to arrive. Instead, she made her way back toward the quad to wait the half hour for the others on her floor to arrive where she might find some time to finish a chapter of To Say Nothing of the Dog.

Henrietta moved around the Lovecraft House, passing students and administrators with clipboards as she went. When she arrived, she discovered that the quad had quite a few people already sitting around, speaking with one of the RAs. In retrospect it made sense; they were probably working there way up the building, introducing each other by floor in half hour blocks. Lacking a better idea, Henrietta made her way to the shadow of the Howard statue, lay in the shade, and began to read.

It was a nice and sunny day, especially compared how it had been in Cardiff the day before, when he had been at the airport. Unlike most of the students there, Jessie didn't have any parents or people with him, he had already said his goodbyes. Perhaps that was why he was the first one in his room too, his roommate not having arrived yet. Who knew, he might not even get one, considering his rather special situation.

That's no good, I want one. Might even force Mr. "People are dull" to interact with someone.

It was the cleverer part of Jessie he called Mr. "(Usually something very ridiculous)". What else could he call the other? Anything else would be too creepy, and it was mostly true, for what it was worth. Then again, he was the friendlier, more charismatic of the two. Probably handsomer too, he looked better with a smile than a sneer. And the other never smiled, from what this Jessie had gathered.

He chose the bed the furthest away from the door, and started unpacking, before making his bed and putting his items on the desk he had been provided. He kept the contents in his bag there, he would most likely need those under the orientation later. If he forgot to take notes, the other would probably get really damn annoyed. He lay down on his bed, looking at the ceiling. Should his roommate not arrive soon, he'd just go ahead to the place the orientation would start, being timely for once wouldn't be a bad thing.

Teddy's expression neatly mirrored the pleasant weather, positively beaming over the various things he might learn at such a place, it had a glorious feeling of secrets about it ones that he was eager to uncover. Still too much sun wasn't exactly the best thing for his pale complexion and he quickly headed inside his arms filled with over-packed bags of various things he had decided to bring along. His father had dropped him off, and while the man had seemed a bit worried about what Teddy might find at such a place he was glad to see that his son was happy.

Teddy pushed open the doors of his room, and to his increasing delight found his roommate had already arrived, "Hi! I'm Teddy," he said cheerfully, dropping his bags on what appeared to be his side of the room. His roommate had an odd look about them, but he couldn't place exactly what it was, he shrugged and chalked it up to nervousness over meeting new people, not one of his strong suits but he was determined to give it his best effort. After all who knew what other interesting people might be here, especially if the school sought out odd applicants such as himself.

Orientation would of course begin soon, a chance to hopefully meet more interesting people, although he hoped he could converse a bit with his roommate beforehand, they would be seeing a lot of each other over the semester after all.

Jason panted as he heaved his three heavy suitcases around the campus grounds. His move came at a bad time for his parents, so they could only afford to send him across the country. Jason really didn't blame them, but even with the wind, the heat, coupled with the load of his luggage, was starting to wear him down. He tried to dress light for the weather, long khaki cargo pants and a grey shirt, but they didn't really let the air get to his skin.

Thankfully, he soon reached Lovecraft House, and forced his way through the crowd to earn a spot on the elevator-he certainly wasn't going to lug his suitcases up twelve flights of stairs.

When the elevator reached floor six, Jason quickly found his room and relived himself of his burden. The room at the time was empty, and there were not signs that his roommate had arrived. "Thank god." Jason spoke aloud as he sighed and plopped down on the naked mattress. He knew he had to go somewhere in about half an hour, but surely there was time for a catnap.

"Hi! I'm Teddy,"

His roommate said, and Jessie sat up. He smiled, friendly, examining the other. Teddy looked nice enough, if a bit pale. Probably the inside type of person then. "Nice to meet you Teddy, I'm Jessie." He eyed the bags the other had sat down. "You've sure got a lot of stuff. I take it your parents drove you here?" he asked, curiously. "I'm from the UK, so I couldn't bring that much. I might even ask to borrow something. Well, if you need something, I'll let you borrow it, should I have what you need. Oh, and also, it's nice to meet you, I forgot to say." Was he saying too much? Nah, the other looked like he was in a good mood, and conversation was always nice.

"So, you excited about this place? The library is supposed to be huge, and there's some really interesting courses. I'm doing ancient sciences and archaeology, how about you?"

~Shaun~

When he stepped out onto the grass of the campus, he had to sigh softly and shiver once. While by many standards the weather was considered perfectly comfortable, he found it to have a chill by his own. Then again, coming from living primarily in Texas would do that to many, he supposed. There, the weather was usually sweltering hot year-round, but he didn't mind it so much, even with his eccentric wardrobe.

Shaun crossed the sweeping lawn, carrying a pair of duffel bags as well as a black leather book-bag under one arm, and he glanced around, impressed with the sheer size of the campus itself. Really, it was impressive, and he had a feeling he was going to enjoy his time there. So long as his roommate, or roommates, weren't utter dipshits, he thought with a scowl.

And there was the one downside, he mused as he strode to one of the statues, presumably one of a doctor, judging by the lab-coat. He would have to share his living space with at least one other person, and chances were against him that it would be anyone he could tolerate. And he highly doubted he could get away with, 'It was a freak accident, Dean! He just spontaneously combusted!', should whoever they were grate at him so much that he lost control.

When he reached the statue itself, he sighed and promptly dropped his duffel backs before stretching, which was punctuated by the cracks of various joints. Then he reached into his book-bag and pulled out the map of the campus itself, since he needed to figure out where to go from there. Lovecraft House, Lovecraft House..., he thought while he searched the map for where he was heading, before glancing up at a girl who had decided to sit beneath the statue itself and read.

She didn't look like any other girl he had seen before. Really, she looked... Off, in just about every way he could imagine, but really, that only intrigued him further due to his prior 'research'. Assuming she was a student herself, he folded up his map, tucked it away and stepped toward her.

"Uh... I don't mean to interrupt, but I don't suppose you're a student here, are you? I'm new, and I need to find Lovecraft House.", he said, his tone clearly friendly, but just a little confused as well.

Then he held out his hand and smiled warmly. "I'm Shaun, by the way. Shaun Loveless.", he told her.

Henrietta was reading an interesting passage on the River Thames when a shadow fell upon the page drawing her from the book. Turning around, she came face-to-knee with a tall lanky boy holding a map.

"Uh... I don't mean to interrupt, but I don't suppose you're a student here, are you? I'm new, and I need to find Lovecraft House." he said, his tone clearly friendly and a little confused. "I'm Shaun, by the way. Shaun Loveless." he added a moment later holding out his hand to greet her. Before taking his hand, Henrietta smiled and jumped to her feet. When she was straightened out, she took his hand and said "Glad to meet ya Shaun. I'm Henrettta Lancroft" while shaking his hand vigorously.

"And Yup; I'm a new student too!" she offered enthusiastically; "It's that one" she said pointing at the large dorm on the far left of the cafeteria. "And its also... this one" she added animatedly pointing to the building on the map for good measure. Then, for a moment the volcanic energy stopped as she thought of what to say next before adding "So you living in Lovecraft too or just trying to find someone?" She stopped herself from asking the dozen other questions that had popped into her mind, mostly in an effort not to weird the first fellow student she'd met.

~Shaun~

Her reply was... Energetic, to say the least. She leapt to her feet before she took his hand and spoke, all while shaking it very vigorously.

"Glad to meet ya Shaun. I'm Henretta Lancroft. And Yup; I'm a new student too!".

Then she promptly snatched up the map he had put away, pointing out Lovecraft House both on the map itself, and in the distance on the campus.

"So you living in Lovecraft too or just trying to find someone?".

He had to pause for a moment as the sheer amount of energy she gave off finished blasting over him, and once it did, he had to chuckle softly. Then he reached down and pulled out his pocket watch, checking the time. "I live in Lovecraft too, actually. And since Orientation is in... About half an hour, do you mind if I join you?", he asked, looking up and smiling again.

If the people he had to look forward to were anything like she was, he supposed his time there would certainly be exciting, if not outright enjoyable.

"I live in Lovecraft too, actually. And since Orientation is in... About half an hour, do you mind if I join you?" he asked, smiling.

Henrietta smiled back and replied. "Sure!" She said, returning to the shade of the statue. A moment later, the statement triggered a second thought. "So I guess that makes us floor mates." She added, realizing the shard orientation time. "Next you're gonna tell me you're in the Ancient Sciences department too." She said with a laugh, enjoying the how small the world was; hardly an hour on campus and already making accidental friends. Before he could say anything, she added a question on to the end. "So where are you from? I'm from a little town up the coast called Innsmouth."

~Shaun~

When she sat back down under the shade of the statue, he decided to sit next to her, setting down his book-bag before pulling out the thermos that he had shoved into it earlier that day. Opening it, he took his next fix of coffee, and replied to what she said next once he sat it down.

"So I guess that makes us floor mates. Next you're gonna tell me you're in the Ancient Sciences department too.".

He had to grin. "That's right, I am. Ancient Sciences has always been something of a... Personal interest of mine, really. Always felt it had the answers to my questions.", he said with a cryptic shrug.

Then he glanced at her and quirked a brow at her next question.

"So where are you from? I'm from a little town up the coast called Innsmouth.".

"Here and there, actually. Basically, I'm just from North Texas. Never really stayed in one place for all that long.", he told her, before turning to face her a little better.

"So, where exactly is Innsmouth? What's it like?", he asked.

"That's right, I am. Ancient Sciences has always been something of a... Personal interest of mine, really. Always felt it had the answers to my questions." he said with a cryptic shrug and a grin. Henrietta could only stare incredulously at him. "You know I was kidding. I didn't think you and I were in the same department... Weird." She said, hardly believing it. "I wonder if he also has a gift." she thought to herself. She was a little suspicious of the encounter, but quickly dismissed the thought; there were bound to be other students, that she would meet one wasn't that spectacularly unheard of.

"Here and there, actually. Basically, I'm just from North Texas. Never really stayed in one place for all that long." He said, continuing on to answer her question. Truth be told, she didn't know anything about North Texas having never left the northeast for any extended period, but it was interesting none the less. She was going to ask another question, but Shaun struck first. [b]"So, where exactly is Innsmouth? What's it like?" he asked. That was... A complicated question.

"We'll," she said, taking a moment to gather her thoughts, "north of Arkham, there are a bunch of salt flats. If you follow the coast for about 80 miles, the flats give way a bit around Innsmouth Bay; where unsuprisingly Innsmouth is. It's a good little town I guess. There's not a lot of people, and the town's kinda isolated so everyone's really... close." she said, using close to avoid the untrue words most people used about the little town. "It's a quiet place, but there's some cool stuff too. Pretty much everyone are fishermen or work at the gold refinery." she said, not going to in depth, but showing off a little red-gold bracelet from the town. "Best thing in the town is the bay though; great place for swimming and there's even a reef if you go out far enough." She finished, not sure what else to say. It was home. She loved it, despite its eccentricities.

Figuring he didn't want to talk about Texas since he hadn't mentioned a home, Henrietta changed the subject. "So what do you like to do for fun?" She asked, trying to keep the conversation going in a direction that wasn't likely to explode.

As Aden drove up to the Miskatonic University, he made a deep sigh. He had already said goodbye to his parents earlier, wanting to drive himself and his own car to the university and was intending to do all of his own unpacking. The University had already shown him his room, though not his room-mate and most of his essentials were being delivered soon. All he had now was his coffee machine and backpack to put in, his clothes and whatnot already set to go. Aden whistled a happy tone as he thought to himself.

New start, new people, don't fuck this up Aden, don't do it. Nobody knows you, who knows if they have powers? They might find it weird and we don't need another incident.

Aden walked up to the elevator and punched in Floor 6 of the Lovecraft house. Aden was still whistling a tune as he tapped and realized he hadn't packed any coffee for his coffee maker. Aden stopped whistling and started to think about what kind of coffee he could get. A few more expensive roasts came to mind before he realized he was jobless and the black haired freshman sighed again.

Guess it's going to have to be Folger's again.

Aden opened up the door to his room, he had arrived after his roommate apparently. The man sprawled over the bed looking to get a quick nap before everything. Aden made a chuckle as that was his intention coming in anyway, thanks to his now apparent lack of coffee. He decided to be the one to break the ice and said "Hi, I'm Aiden, who are you?"

"So, you excited about this place? The library is supposed to be huge, and there's some really interesting courses. I'm doing ancient sciences and archaeology, how about you?"

Teddy grinned somewhat nervously and nodded through his roommates talking, he was feeling even better knowing that his roommate was quite friendly "Yeah I'm happy to share whatever, although be careful with my notebooks and computer, I've got important stuff in there," he said, answering the first question, before considering the second.

"Yeah I'm super excited! I figure I'll be spending something like half my time in the library, I'm taking xenopsychology and ancient sciences," he said, wondering if he should explain xenopsychology more, "That's sort of looking at what an alien might think like, I wonder if we'll have any classes together?"

As he spoke he began to unpack, hanging up clothes in his closet and putting his books on his desk, it was impressive that he'd been able to fit so many into one bag.

Ahh, college life. He'd seen this exact kind of scene in a movie once. Maybe. Probably. Dexter Drake looked across the parking lot, seeing the last of the arrivals. Apparently, he had been a touch late compared to the sheer volume of students that were seeing their parents off.

Glad I don't have to deal with that. Dexter chuckled. It's not that his mother couldn't come, she just couldn't afford the plane ticket to get from New York to here. And father dearest is still with the white-coated men. Of course, Dexter really couldn't afford the ticket ether, but imitation tickets are just as good as real ones to bored-looking ticket-checkers. Then again, if they check the records, they might have a few questions about Baxter Blake's true identity and how he mysteriously bought a ticket after the plane took off. If they can find him in L.A.

He paid his taxi driver with what real money he had. Based off the dust collecting in his wallet, he'll have to find a venue to start preforming in again. Lovely.

He began towing his humorously large case of luggage with one hand, while holding his relevant housing documents in the other

Floor Six, Lovecraft House. Roommates: Shawn Loveless and Alex- WAIT, LOVELESS? Dexter double-checked that his eyes were working properly.

This is going to be SOOO much fun. Dexter smiled and thought to himself.

Just as he was about to enter what the map had indicated to be his dorm building, he noticed a boy and girl underneath the shade of a tree. This was an excellent time to...demonstrate himself, as it were.

Slipping open a hatch on his luggage, he palmed a deck of cards and two flowers into his blazer. This was his Sunday-Best, more or less. He had a blazer to hold his tricks of the trade in pockets invisible to anyone who didn't know they were there, and comfortable black pants that used to be dressy, but were now just pants.

Parking his luggage near his view, he confidently strolled over to the pair.

"Hello! I...hope I'm not interrupting anything?" Dexter smiled, winking to the male in an all-too-obvious way.

"Yeah I'm happy to share whatever, although be careful with my notebooks and computer, I've got important stuff in there,"

"Of course, I wouldn't dare to handle your stuff roughly! And I have something a bit more retro than a computer." He patted his bag. "I have a typewriter for typing. And don't worry, I'll try not to type too much when it's late. But it's super vintage! And for my other needs I have an ipad, but that's mostly for reading and to browse the internet." Jessie explained. He then tilted his head, when Teddy explained his course.

"Yeah I'm super excited! I figure I'll be spending something like half my time in the library, I'm taking xenopsychology and ancient sciences. That's sort of looking at what an alien might think like, I wonder if we'll have any classes together?"

"Alien psychology?" he asked, a bit surprised. "Was there a course like that? I might sneak a peak at your notes when classes starts then, it sounds intriguing. And I'm sure there will be classes we share, from what I know ancient sciences has a bit about..." he looked around, as if there was someone there who could hear. Obviously, there probably wasn't, it was mostly for dramatic effect. "Outside forces." He then chuckled. "Seriously though, this is a school with quite a lot of choices, so I wouldn't be surprised if we do. I mean, we are in the Lovecraft house. And if we don't share any classes, we'll probably run into each other a lot in the library."

Jessie then turned a bit more serious. "Oh, and also, there will be a few days where I'm not as cheerful as I'm now. Don't worry, it's nothing bad, but I... ehm..." he thought it through, he needed to say it well. He smiled, although not as cheerfully as before. "Well, it's sorta just me needing to be alone a bit. But if I seem rude or am being too cold, just tell me off. I don't really notice myself." A well-crafted lie? Perhaps it was, or perhaps it wasn't.

I'll just have to see, I guess.

"Hi, I'm Aiden, who are you?"

Jason snorted as he woke from his light sleep. "Huh? Oh..." Jason saw Aiden by the entrance of the room, and he couldn't help but grimace. So much for being left alone. "...uh, Jason, hi."

Knowing that the two would have to put up with each other for quite some time, Jason figured that just blowing Aiden off would just bite him in the ass later. "So, what brings you to Arkham?" Jason lifted himself out of bed and checked his clock for the time. The two still had time to kill before the next "activity". Hopefully Aiden had more to say, cause Jason certainly knew the two would have little in common.

"Well, it's sorta just me needing to be alone a bit. But if I seem rude or am being too cold, just tell me off. I don't really notice myself."

This comment interested Teddy, the typewriter was odd but not terribly worrying, kind of cool in a way brought up images of reporters and novelists from ages past clicking away on the next big work. Jessie's interest in his major was also exciting, he loved being able to talk all about what he knew or had figured out, a habit that sometimes annoyed others back home. Still the last comment got him thinking, was that part of what felt odd about Jessie?

"Are you bipolar?" he asked after a moment's consideration, and then immediately realized it might be rude to be so direct "I mean its fine if you are, I can handle it and don't worry about bothering me I'm always happy to chat."

Bipolar sounded a bit like what Jessie had described although a nagging thought reminded him that it didn't seem to fit properly, some other disorder perhaps? Part of his mind joked that Jessie was just talking about having a period, though he dismissed that as crude humor, not the sort of joke he would usually make either.

"Er, but if I talk to much feel free to tell me to be quiet," he added, snapping out of his train of thought, and realizing he should probably warn Jessie about his own annoying habits, "I like to ramble sometimes about things, sometimes other people get annoyed or wierded out. So uh, what brings you here?" Small talk had never been one of Teddy's strong points, but he was hoping he could improve on that at college.

Jason put his coffee maker down on a table and scratched his head. "Eh, got accepted as a psychology major. Interesting field really, but what really brought me here is that this is the only place I got accepted to. Kind of fucking sucks, but what can you expect? What about you?"

Aden noticed Jason was rather well built, extraordinarily so actually. In fact, the combination of his grimace, and well built body immediately made Aden think of the football players that constantly lifted weights, drank a lot, and were generally the biggest pains in the asses he knew. This could end badly. Or maybe he just really liked exercising and was a really cool guy? Aden figured he might as well hope for the latter.

"Are you bipolar?"

"Excuse me?" Had Jessie heard wrong? Wasn't that awfully direct? However, Teddy seemed to realize his mistake, and continued.

"I mean its fine if you are, I can handle it and don't worry about bothering me I'm always happy to chat."

"Ah, well, it's fine, just a bit direct." He chuckled again. "But no, I'm not. It's not that sudden, and I don't usually get very sad or angry. More like... less friendly. It's hard to explain, you'll see, I guess. I'm not dangerous or anything."

"Er, but if I talk too much feel free to tell me to be quiet. I like to ramble sometimes about things, sometimes other people get annoyed or weirded out. So uh, what brings you here?"

"Don't worry, I don't mind you chatting a lot, I like learning knew stuff, and you seem like you'll be able to teach me a lot. Besides, you should've realized by now that I'm very talkative as well." He then grinned. "Imagine how terrible it would be for the poor sods who'd end up with us as roommates if we didn't share rooms. And I'm here for several reasons, but mostly to learn and have fun. Besides, I thought crossing the pond would be worth it when I first found out about this university, and I still think so. It's rather unique, after all."

"Kind of fucking sucks, but what can you expect? What about you?"

Jason raised his eyebrows as he realized they did have something in common. "History major, though I didn't come here because this was the only place that accepted me, rather it was the only place that wouldn't leave me with a pile of debt."

Spying the coffee maker, Jason decided to go out on a limb. Maybe if he built up a repertoire, they could live in relative peace? "So, a fan of coffee? I can't drink the stuff myself, caffeine drives me crazy. I'm not really supposed to even drink soda, but sometimes I can't resist."

"Imagine how terrible it would be for the poor sods who'd end up with us as roommates if we didn't share rooms. And I'm here for several reasons, but mostly to learn and have fun. Besides, I thought crossing the pond would be worth it when I first found out about this university, and I still think so. It's rather unique, after all."

"Haha, yeah that would be awful," he said, grinning "So you're from Europe then? I can't quite place your accent though, never traveled much myself."

This was already shaping up to be a good first year of college, a fun and nice roommate, all sorts of interesting classes, and who knew who else he would meet! At that thought he remembered the Orientation, and checked his watch, there was still time but it was approaching. He finished unpacking his stuff, though he still needed to put the sheets on the bed, and plug in various electronics.

"So orientation is starting up soonish, we should head down there so we can be a bit early," he said, "Besides that gives us more chances to meet others as they trickle in."

"So, a fan of coffee? I can't drink the stuff myself, caffeine drives me crazy. I'm not really supposed to even drink soda, but sometimes I can't resist."

"It's a bit of an addiction I suppose." Aden said with a lack of alarm. "It's also an acquired taste, not something that came easy but when you have as much free time as I do, well it just kind of came naturally. I can't do anything without caffeine nowadays." Aden looked around and said "So what do you want to do with the history major?" Aden couldn't think of anything a history major was good for except maybe as a history teacher...which would be about the worst form of punishment he could imagine.

~Shaun~

He could tell that he had taken her aback when he told her that he was in fact in the same class as her. Then again, as far as he knew, the Ancient Sciences class was one of the main draws to Lovecraft House. One of the subjects that Miskatonic had that many other universities simply neglected to acknowledge even existed. Oh, but it existed. And he himself was proof.

When she told him about Innsmouth, he listened intently and only broke his gaze from her to take another sip of coffee. He leaned back a little as she finished, and he was about to say something when she posed another question.

"So what do you like to do for fun?".

"Mostly read, drink coffee. Oh, and watch the occasional horror movie. You?", he asked, this time with an easy smile even as he rubbed at his goatee.

When a newcomer stepped towards them, he glanced over and blinked once as the man, who wore a rather impressive top hat along with a strange half-mask winked at him none-too-subtly.

"Hello! I...hope I'm not interrupting anything?".

"Not at all. I'm Shaun Loveless, and I have to say, that is a very nice hat.", he said politely as he extended his hand to shake the strangers own.

"So what do you want to do with the history major?"

"Be a historian, I hope." Jason thought about how much he should say to this stranger. There were going to live together for awhile, but should he divulge that his choice of major stemmed from a vague hope of finding out more about the origins of his curse? No, definitely not, quite an easy decision. "The ancient world has always fascinated me, and I enjoy tracing the path of influences from the past to the present." With a shrug, Jason decided to give Aiden more food for thought. "If that fails, I could always try being a lawyer, I hear history majors can fit in well at a law school."

"All of that while being the star of the football team." Aden said sarcastically. He chuckled and said "Lawyering could be interesting. Not really for me, but it certainly has a fun ring to it, but that might just be from the movies." Aden was just now realizing how little he had given thought to his degree. Sure he was learning psychology to better use his abilities, but what would he do with them? Oh well, thought was better moved to the future when it mattered.

"Haha, yeah that would be awful. So you're from Europe then? I can't quite place your accent though, never traveled much myself."

Jessie nodded. It was probably the first time someone hadn't immediately realized he was from the UK, but Americans might be a bit worse at telling. Especially since his accent wasn't the stereotypical RP accent that was often heard in British television and from actors in movies portraying Brits.

"Yeah, I'm from Cardiff. That's Wales, UK, if you're as terrible at geography as they say Americans are," he joked. "But hey, I don't think I'd do much better if I were to try to guess where you're from." Jessie was happy that his roommate was someone as friendly as Teddy. The other might even be able to deal with the other Jessie, although he didn't want to give Teddy too much of a burden. He had dealt with it himself since he was very young, so relying on someone might be a very bad idea. At least, it was not something he was comfortable with.

He glanced at his iphone, time had passed quickly, and it was almost time for the orientation. And he still wanted to get there early, with him it was usually a bit too early, or way too late. Jessie was about to speak up, but Teddy spoke before him.

"So orientation is starting up soonish, we should head down there so we can be a bit early. Besides that gives us more chances to meet others as they trickle in."

"I was just about to suggest that," he smiled, and made sure his fedora was sitting correctly on his head, using the dark screen of the phone as a mirror. When he was done, he put the phone back in his pocket. "I'm ready to head out, so if you're ready too, we'll get going, yeah?"

"All of that while being the star of the football team."

The jest reminded Jason of his physique, causing him to look down at himself in curiosity. Frankly, he started with his gym regiment without any goals for appearance or strength. He would just be in the mood to punch something, so he would go to the gym and pulverize a few punching bags.

"Not really for me, but it certainly has a fun ring to it, but that might just be from the movies."

Jason shrugged at the opinion. "You could be right, it's really just a back-up plan. The job could just be a bunch of loud people yelling at each other in big words." On a whim, Jason checked the clock again, seeing that the time for the meet-up on the quad would being soon. "Hey, it's almost time for the big get together with people we'll never see again." Jason smirked as he got up and retied his sneakers. "Shall we go?"

"Shall we go?"

Aden shrugged and opened the door. "We might as well, I wonder if they are actually going to bother with attendance." On second thought, Aden had still promised himself he would be sociable and breaking that promise on the first day would be in bad taste. So he would try to make the best of this, he guessed. Maybe. Aden wondered if they had coffee there.

"Not at all. I'm Shaun Loveless, and I have to say, that is a very nice hat."

Dexter smiled again and tipped his hat to the pair, glad that they noticed. He sometimes forgot he wore his darn thing, since it wasn't particularly helpful in magic unless he was pulling something out of it.

"Dexter Drake, Stage Magician of Infinitesimal Renown, at your service."

As Dexter met Shawn's handshake, a red rose made it's way from Dexter's sleeve into Shawn's. Throwing his voice to a point beside Shawn and opposite the female present, he added quietly, "From one roommate to another, if you strike out I'm next at bat."

Dexter leaned back and sat upon the grass. "So, are you both Lovecraft house-ers?"

~Shaun~

Shaun's brows winged up even as the man doffed his hat and went into a rather elaborate bow.

"Dexter Drake, Stage Magician of Infinitesimal Renown, at your service.".

At that, he nearly kicked himself even as he smirked. A stage magician. He should have known, particularly with the hat. Stage performers always managed to get some of the best headwear, though the half-mask was still a little... Odd. When Dexter took his hand, however, the rose making its way into his turtlenecks sleeve was a little jarring, as was the quiet voice speaking into his ear.

"From one roommate to another, if you strike out I'm next at bat.".

Shaun rolled his eyes privately, though he had to smirk a little wider. Yes, definitely entertaining, he thought to himself. He had to wonder though, if one roommate was going to be a magician, and a very theatrical one at that, what would the others be like?

"So, are you both Lovecraft house-ers?".

The question derailed his train of thought, and he had to nod after a moment. "That's right, actually. This is Henrietta Lancroft.", he said quickly, realizing that he had yet to introduce her.

"That's right, actually. This is Henrietta Lancroft."

"Ahh, miss Lancroft, pleasure to meet a lady such as yourself. For you, mademoiselle." He slid the yellow flower from his other sleeve and presented it to Henrietta.

This was proving to be an amusing meeting indeed, especially if ether Shaun or Henrietta aren't aware yellow flowers signify friendship over the courting color of Red, which he gave to his Roomie' for good luck.

Dexter crossed his legs and stroked his chin in a very bombastic manner, almost palming his chin, "And let me guess....Both on Floor Six?"

It wasn't much of a guess, as one of the present people was his roommate, but he was interested in knowing how hard it would be to arrange a late-night rendezvous with the lady. If it came to that, of course.

"I'm ready to head out, so if you're ready too, we'll get going, yeah?"

"Ah I figured it was british, but you've got so many accents over there that are hard to figure out, I didn't want to assume," Teddy said, he was actually fairly decent with geography, if only from when he'd tried to use it to figure out if there was some correlation between sightings of various things, he had been so close to finding something when his map had fallen off of the wall and taken all of the pins in it right out.

"Alright lets go then!" he said excitedly, opening the door for them and leading the way as they set off towards the orientation, he wasn't sure what to say next for small talk, maybe ask about what its like where he's from?

"So uh, hows the weather here compare to wales? I've heard its really cloudy there," he said, yes talk about the weather, because that is the most stimulating subject known to man. Well maybe if its the weather in the triangle, or that one storm that seemed correlated with all those darker phases of artists...

"Ah I figured it was british, but you've got so many accents over there that are hard to figure out, I didn't want to assume."

"It's fine, I was just joking," Jessie replied. "It could be worse. You could have guessed Irish or something."

"Alright lets go then!"

"Yeah!" They started walking, and Jessie took the sudden silence as a chance to think through a few facts.

So, I'll have to inform Jessie about Teddy, and probably about what happens under the orientation.

He had been hearing a few things that didn't belong, and started seeing things again. And now, yet again, the darkness surfaced in his mind. When that happened as often as now, it meant the other would soon take control, probably as early as the evening. Usually, it lasted from a few days to a week or two, neither of them could actually control it.

A shame, I was hoping I would get to speak more to people before that. Hopefully, my less sunny side won't ruin any chances at getting friends by acting like a total sociopath again.

Teddy mentioned something, although Jessie failed to grasp the words. "Yeah," he said, a bit distantly. He then sighed, apologetic. "I'm sorry, I didn't catch that. Probably just jetlag." Jessie hesitated before saying something more. Did he want to tell Teddy that he would change soon? Warning him, so it didn't come as a shock when he suddenly woke up acting like a different person, would probably be best.

"Also, you know the thing I mentioned about acting a bit different? I might have an episode like that coming up. Just so that you're aware of it. But it'll be fine!" The smile resurfaced. "Please don't grow tired of me that quickly, okay? You seem like a really cool guy, so I'd rather we were friends than enemies."

"Please don't grow tired of me that quickly, okay? You seem like a really cool guy, so I'd rather we were friends than enemies."

"Eh? Enemies, that's a bit dramatic don't you think?" Teddy replied jokingly, beaming about being called a cool guy, but then he became a bit more serious "Yeah sure, I can keep an eye out for you when you have your episode, make sure you don't do anything stupid, er, if that's something that happens that is."

This change was growing more and more interesting to him, not bipolar, disassociative identity disorder is extremely rare but it could be that, still seems unlikely. Interesting though, maybe I can get him to talk more about it later? Might help to have seen it I suppose. Whatever it was Jessie seemed pretty serious about it, and Teddy felt like he ought to help if possible.

He felt the familiar sensation of being watched from the shadows, but he ignored it, there were plenty of people on campus who might be looking at them, and given some of the odd clothes that Jessie was wearing it seemed much more likely that he was the one they were watching.

Unbeknownst to Teddy, Ephraim's decaying form lurked nearby, hidden by magic and shadows and watching carefully. He knew he wouldn't be able to observe them in the room, save for what glimpses he might catch through the window, but it was a minor concern at best. This roommate though seemed unusual in a way he couldn't place, a strange energy was about him, one that seemed to be growing and coming from elsewhere. He would need to be careful here, for there seemed to be many things influenced in a similar manner, regardless they would not stand in his way, he was getting so close.

Outside, Gardens
Alex sat, basking in the sun. He'd arrived a bit earlier, a beat up and rusty truck of a friend of the late Adrianne. The ride was bumpy, but at least the land seemed nice, and groomed. He'd memorized the map by now, and tucked it under his arm as he sat, looking at the garden, playing with a crimson rose. Generic, but pretty, the thorn stuck itself in Alex's thumb. He stuck it in his mouth, sucking the blood. He tilted his head back, to think.

He couldn't put on his smile yet, too damned soon for him. A whole summer, gone, and she was a memory. He felt a sudden pang of guilt, a heavy lead weight on his gut, making him feel nauseous. He looked around the garden he sat in, feeling the breeze, his eyes lingering on his shadow. His monster, concealed to the public so long as it laid on the ground. A face bubbled up, smiling it's familiar psychotic smile, ear to ear grin of malice.

"You hold no power." Alex reminded his monster. The smile didn't waver, or move at all before disappearing. A blink and you miss it detail, passerby's no doubt already questioned the mind of a boy who sat alone and talked to his shadow. He smirked to himself, and picked himself up slowly, feeling his leg already asleep.

He dusted himself off, looking around. He was too find Lovecraft house, if he remembered correctly. Then orientation. He was probably going to go Liberal Arts... but his shadow fascinated him as much as it revolted him. A void of ebony, an ethereal shade on the ground transforming to an amorphous corporeal mass was probably something men of science would be... interested in. Maybe they'd try to hurt him, dissect and find out how his head ticks, see why his voice became beings rather than figments of a tortured mind.

Alex sighed, his thoughts turned dark so quickly. Wasn't he happier with Adrianne? Didn't he have a genuine smile, kindness of some sort deep in his heart? Yes, or so he thought. Something turned her away from him. His look, smell, SOMETHING was wrong about him. Something cut him from her heart, made him ugly and inhospitable. Was he truly so terrible? What was it that was wrong with- No. No thinking of that. That's how Percy feeds, how he comes out and how he so masterfully played his mind and drove him into darkness. He smiled bitterly, and limped off to the dorm rooms.

He caught a few stairs, making him pull his hood up further, to hide his face. He didn't want to look at them, they were innocent, most likely. Unafraid of the dark, they had no NEED to be. They had no idea of the evils that lurked just beyond their sight. Not like he knew, not like he did. He caught a group, exchanging pleasantries under a statue of some long dead author, no doubt. The school seemed themed around them.

"Hey, all." Alex said, pulling down his hood, and flashing his false smile. His curiosity, and will to become a part of a crowd beating out any shyness. "My name is Alex. I heard you're Henrietta, right?" Alex looked at the woman, but dropped his gaze quickly. He turned to the men, a stage magician and lanky, honestly nerdy, looking boy. He made his smile increase for a second, and looked around. Were people staring at him again?

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked