The Story of the Seven Deadly Sins (Closed, Started)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Gula shifted uncomfortably as he listened, he could already tell what his 'power' was, his tongue was a bitter weight in his mouth and yet he could clearly make out every wrinkle and crease in the others faces, hear the motion of their cloaks with every shift of their bodies, and the smell of brimstone and sulfur was overpowering to him. Beyond that he could feel a tightness around his waist, not painful merely uncomfortable but he could not loosen it no matter how he fidgeted and the annoyance it caused seemed to be growing. I need something to eat, take my mind off of all this, perhaps one of these new worlds will offer such a treat. Surely my tongue is merely dry from the heat, something fresh and juicy will remedy this foul taste in my mouth.

The others seemed to be in various states of confusion, or irateness, he couldn't blame them this Lucifer fellow clearly lacked what it took to be an effective religious figure, he should know. But the others were clearly in need of direction and he in need of food, hopefully these problems could be used to resolve each other. He set aside his thoughts of discomfort and put on his most charismatic grin.

"Friends clearly we must band together to overcome these challenges, and why wait when each moment we do so delays us reaching our succulent goal," he spread his arms wide and licked his lips hungrily, though it brought an even fouler taste to his mouth. He turned to the nearest mirror, squinting to try and peer through it, his eyes wandering over both it and the obelisks around it "We should make haste through a mirror so that we might confront and overcome these ordeals laid before us."

The obelisks Gula is examining is aged, but in a good condition. The stone used for them are in a soft brown color, and looks like it would be smooth to touch. It has simple decorations, dark patterns that shows suns and moons, clocks and people. It looks like the handwork of an artist, and carries a small signature, although unreadable. Perhaps a clue?

Or perhaps just a useless detail, no one can be sure, for the devil lies. The sights through the glass is very tinted and weird, twisted beyond recognition. However, one with as good a hearing as Gula, might hear the sounds of a busy street through the glass, and the ringing of a bell.

"At least one...which might mean all of them anyway. Have you even checked whats actually on the scroll?"

"Hush; darling. Give me a moment." Luxuria replied, irritated.

Idly, Luxuria flipped through the scroll, stroking the choker as she did so. The gem was pretty, yes, but it made it a bit harder to talk. Sweet-talking was her favorite activity after love-making, and she was slightly miffed that she would have to put a little more effort in order to do that. Luxuria turned slightly to the gentleman seemed uncomfortable, the one who licked his lips and addressed the people here as 'friends'. She couldn't help but silently chuckle at that. Friends? If what Lucifer said was true, the people here - including herself - had committed grave sins. Not exactly the type of people you would call 'friends'. But then again, sinner can't be choosers. She turned away, to the muttering girl who had pulled her hood over her face.

"None of this makes any sense."

Adopting the similar attitude of the gentlemen with the fancy necklace, she said, "Kitten, if it made any sense, it wouldn't be fun. Now dears, shall we at least introduce ourselves? It won't do to keep our faces hidden."

She took the initiative and threw off her hood in a dramatic fashion, revealing her face and golden locks.

Acedia listened to the others talk to each other. "We're really going to go along with this?" he asked, sighing. Did he really have no choice or say in the matter?

"Kitten, if it made any sense, it wouldn't be fun. Now dears, shall we at least introduce ourselves? It won't do to keep our faces hidden."

He didn't even blink at the woman's reveal. Just who are you trying to impress? Maybe it had something to do with her name. "So which moniker did that guy give you?"

But now with the hood off, he caught a glimpse at the crystal that hung at her throat. Cocking his head to the side, he gazed down at the crystal that he held in his fingers again. They were very similar, save for the different shades of blue. Hers was a deep dark hue compared to his paler one.

"Does everyone have these things?" he muttered to himself.

"We should make haste through a mirror so that we might confront and overcome these ordeals laid before us."

"Really, so soon? But this weather is just so divine." Greed smirked, winking at him. Fatso wanted to play leader, he was more than welcome to it. The one with the scroll revealed herself to be attractive, and female too! The choker even made her seem obedient. She spoke to the quiet one with the feminine voice.

"Kitten, if it made any sense, it wouldn't be fun. Now dears, shall we at least introduce ourselves? It won't do to keep our faces hidden."

'Drama queen.'

"So which moniker did that guy give you?"

"It's polite to offer your own first, you know. I'm Avaritia, which means Greed I think. We'll just stick with that." The Whiny One played with his necklace and spoke up again. A mumble really, but there didn't seem much noise to drown him out. The lack of ambient screams disappointed him greatly.

"Does everyone have these things?"

"Mine's orange, and a necklace. And better." He said casually, holding up the necklace. He'd have to see about taking some of the other's nice things. Nice things were better off in the hands of those who appreciated them, really. Not that they seemed to have much beyond their ugly cloaks.

"But yes, moving on seems... well, not good, but at least productive." Greed shrugged, moving towards the mirror Fatso was standing next to. "Lead the way?"

"Really, so soon? But this weather is just so divine."

Gula smiled, he did not mind opposition particularly when it was by someone who lacked any sort of point to doing so. Such fools were easy enough to discredit and in doing so gain respect for himself.

"If you'd rather enjoy your damnation then by all means you are free to do so," he said spreading his arms in a gesture of acceptance "I for one, would prefer to lead us to ascension and exodus."

He grinned even more broadly, she reminded him of some of his more eager to please followers, though clearly much more willful. He threw back his hood to reveal his wild and charismatic features. "Apologies my dear I had not realized that my face had been concealed," he said, giving a slight bow "Though of course it fails to match your own in beauty."

"So which moniker did that guy give you?"

"Call me Gula," he said rising from the bow, "Gluttony is apparently my crime, though really I never did more than pursue the occasional harmless self indulgence.

He nodded and fidgeted with his belt again "Mine should be apparent enough, I suspect they are meant to mark us in some way, though to what end I am unsure."

"Lead the way?"

His grin stretched even further, the fool had come to his senses it seemed, though whether or not he had realized the pointlessness of his hollow rebellion Gula could not be sure. Although it mattered little to him anyways. "Yes indeed, we should be off," he said, and stepped to the mirror carefully placing one hand against it to test it as he walked through.

Invidia's particularly scathing reply (kitten!?) died on her lips when the woman threw back her hood. Oh. Now that's just not fair. She quickly looked away. Just think how much better my life would've been with a face like that. Well, that settles it. Hood stays on.

She watched closely as some of the others gave their names, noticing their little gestures, how they responded to each other. Useful to remember. 'Avaritia' reminded her of certain spoilt nobles she'd often seen flouncing around the wealthiest pockets of her city. As a matter of fact, quite a few of these people gave off that vibe - not a good first impression.

She waited for her turn to speak. "I'm Invidia." The name left a bitter taste in her mouth. As an afterthought, she softly added "For now, at least."

The speaker was holding some kind of gem, attached to his glasses by a thin chain. Now that was something. She inspected the group again. Yes, a necklace, a belt...looks like they all have one of these crystals. So...where's mine?
She looked down at herself. No jewellery, nothing shiny, just a plain cloak. Perhaps she had it at her throat, like the blonde woman? She touched her neck. Nothing.
A wave of resentment rushed through her. Do they all have one, except for me?

"If you'd rather enjoy your damnation then by all means you are free to do so. I for one, would prefer to lead us to ascension and exodus."

The words bit through her miasma of indignation and jealousy. So, Gula fancies himself as a leader? Well, he's certainly got the voice for it. Unfortunately, Invidia was not feeling especially submissive right now. However, it surely wouldn't hurt to play along.

"It's polite to offer your own first, you know."

Shrugging, he responded, "Acedia." Since the others were pulling their hoods back, he figured it wouldn't hurt to do the same. His hair was short, black, and disheveled, and not because it was under a hood for who knows how long. It had always been like that.

And sure enough, the others had those same crystals, all different hues and in different articles of clothing. But before he could ponder about them further, the one called Gula stepped into the mirror he stood by, vanishing into the glass. He seemed to be in quite the hurry, and from the looks of it, Avaritia wasn't going to be far behind. "So...I guess we have no choice but to go in?"

"If you'd rather enjoy your damnation then by all means you are free to do so, I for one, would prefer to lead us to ascension and exodus."

'The surprisingly handsome man doesn't understand sarcasm. Wonderful.' Greed rolled his eyes, and watched as he seriously just walked through glass. Even though the Devil was the one who told them they should do that. It was good to know Lucifer was trustworthy, though he couldn't tell if it had killed him.

He took a step back and examined the thing further. Was it possible to obliterate a soul? That was what he was, he assumed. He HAD just met Satan after all. Still, couldn't help to try and listen to self preservation even if it didn't seem to work entirely right. He heard the rest speak behind him as he came to a decision.

"So...I guess we have no choice but to go in?"

"Well, I'd hate to let tall dark and humorless' sacrifice be in vain. Why not be a lemming? I'm already dead!" Greed said, letting out a shrill bark of laughter as he placed his hand on the glass and pressed down. Didn't take much to get his whole arm in, and the rest of him followed suit with little resistance.

When Gula and Avarita enter the world beyond the glass window, they are met by a busy street and footsteps on pavement. The buildings are mostly made from and combination of stone and wood, and are beautifully crafted, it gives the small town an elegant and yet hectic feeling. There seems to be a wall around it, in order to protect it from what is outside. The air smells of oil, candy and food, as well as smoke. There are also the perfumes of the women that walk by, wearing short and dark, but well-made and layered dresses. The men are wearing long jackets and pants, all in dark colors. They are also wearing hats and slightly high heels, men as well as women.

There are a couple of shops set up around them, and in front of them is a monument in the most precious marble. At the top of it, there's a golden clock that shows the time, although the amount of different hours are 36, instead of 12. It also seems to make no sense; the 4 hands on the clock are going in different directions. Upon closer examination, there is a clock inside the windows of almost every house, and most people carry one as well, if not two. Right now, the sun is shining, but close to setting. The street is slowly settling down. It's refreshingly cold here, compared to the heat of hell.

Ira stood in silence and thought for awhile. The one named Gula disgusted him - he'd met many like him, those who assumed leadership without earning it, and he'd seen many die due to their arrogance. And that licking of his lips...

Deep down he knew standing around wound achieve nothing besides making him increasingly annoyed at the heat and the smell. But walking through that glass would be an acceptance, and therefore an admission that he was going to play along. He couldn't truly be in hell, for he was a pious and noble man who had frequently done God's work.

"Then perhaps this is merely a test of my faith.." he muttered under his breath.

Yes, he thought. That was it. He would play along, for now anyway. These heathens he had been placed with were clearly also a test, both of his patience and his commitment to his faith. He would destroy them, when the time came, as his faith commanded.

"Fine." he said to nobody in particular, and stepped through the glass.

It was time to play follow the leader, so through the glass window she slipped. Luxuria was brought into a world that reeked of perfume and smoke. She was taken aback by the chill, well, one could say that the woman got used to the heat of Hell all too quickly. All seemed normal except the clocks. Luxuria had long decided that the other six couldn't be trusted to complete these puzzles by themselves. Like most things in her life, she had to take the initiative. Every nobleman she had... relations with would not spit their desires out, after all. She chose to walk up to one of the gentlemen walking about and hoped that in this strange land, they spoke the same tongue. Well, it had been the case so far. The stupid six could have come from lands such as this one. Every sinner went to Hell if the Church was to be believed. Luxuria started the conversation with, "What a dear little timepiece you have!"

After watching a few of the others pass through the glass (apparently without incident) it occurred to Invidia that staying in the mirror room alone would be both boring and unproductive. After a last suspicious glare around the room, she slipped through the mirror.

With a defeated sigh, Acedia got off the ground and approached the mirror. "I must be out of my mind," he muttered before he cautiously poked at the glass. Seeing his finger slip through without trouble, he stepped through the glass.

He found himself in a bustling town, much like the ones he often visited when he was alive. His family would be one of those merchants that set up shop for a few months before they would pick up and move on to the next city. It was a very tiring lifestyle, one that he saw no point in pursuing.

But here they were. It was time to begin the first trial. "So...now what?"

GM Post

"What a dear little timepiece you have!"

The gentleman turned towards her, tilting his head quizzically "Odd that you don't call it a clock, everyone has one," he said his speech measured and steady. "You should get inside before it gets dark," he smiled at her "If you like miss you can stay with me."

As he spoke the sky quickly began to grow dark and the crowd bustled more than before.

Greed grinned as he came into this new land of.... Whatever the fuck, he didn't care anymore. It was colder though! It was, dare he say, pleasant, in fact. A bustling town, one that vaguely reminded him of home. Not in architecture or climate, but in that there were several people. And none of them seemed too concerned about their pockets.

Greed pretty much instantly forgot about his original goal in favor off starting up his wealth again, and found Lust in the meantime. Small... mirror dimension. Talking to a male. Seemed to be living up to her name, if nothing else. And although Greed had no idea what a clock truly was, he felt he had seen at least one before. He ignored it as he did his best to sneak up behind him.

"If you like miss you can stay with me."

Greed stuck out his tongue in mock disgust, as he crouched down, softly opening the man's pocket with his ring finger and using his middle and index to dive in, feeling towards the cloth and away from his thigh. He quickly felt around and found something, a leather square he could only assume was currency or contained it. Greed quickly pulled up his hood, smirking, as he sprinted away, making sure not to bump the guy. Wasn't exactly a record, but his soft touch and speed made sure it was only a a couple seconds. There was always the odd chance he had been seen, and would get followed. Recently dead as he was, he couldn't take that. He shed his cloak quickly as he took a turn and began walking casually back to the mirror. Seemed more were coming out.

His hands felt empty, he finally noticed now that his heart slowed. He looked, it was true. Nothing. He grunted, must've dropped it somewhere. Poor guy, got robbed and didn't even get the satisfaction of knowing it helped another in need. It was almost enough to make Greed angry. 'I wonder if I start acting angrier if I could be wrath too?' Greed smiled at his own joke as he saw Lazyarse, Mr. Sensible, The Quiet One, and.... the.... girl(?) enter the land.

"Welcome! Glad to see we're starting to get along as a team." Greed gave a sly grin, and looked between them. "You know, looking happy wouldn't kill you people. I get the feeling swords already did so."

Superbia chose to stay silent. If this band of misfits were going to squabble for leadership, she'll let them fight it out and then swoop down to take the crown.
She disliked how fast everybody jumped into this game. Why couldn't they think things through before throwing themselves into unnecessary danger? Fools. The only reason she tagged along was so that she could observe and learn from their mistakes.
However, Superbia was not going to let her guard down any time soon. After all they supposedly embodied the seven sins, who knows what they did in life to deserve this "special treatment" and what they're willing to in this strange state of death? She supposed she should be wary of her newfound companions. For now, she adjusts her hood and follows.

"Glad to see we're starting to get along as a team. You know, looking happy wouldn't kill you people. I get the feeling swords already did so."

Hilarious. Invidia noted that her initial impression of Avaritia was apparently justified. "Bears, actually," she lied casually, peeking at him from under her hood.
As a matter of fact, she couldn't exactly remember how she had died. The memories were fuzzy, detached. She vaguely remembered holding a dagger. Or had that been someone else?
Now, that was a good point. Get a knife. Invidia didn't trust these people at all - she had a feeling that some pre-emptive revenge might very well turn out to be necessary.

She scanned the crowd. Nobody nearby appeared to have a convenient weapon she could relieve them of, unless they were hiding something under their jackets. She assumed that none of her 'companions' were armed either. Not that that changed anything - Invidia doubted she'd last very long in an unarmed fight with any of them. Well, except the guy who looked half-asleep, perhaps. And the pretty blonde woman. Look at her. Probably never had to lift a finger in her life.

Anyway, enough of that. Smarmy prat wants teamwork?
"Well, I reckon we find seven small kittens and sacrifice 'em to Lucifer on the base of that marble monument."
There we go. Teamwork.

"...If you like miss you can stay with me."

Luxuria was glad to see that gentlemen in this strange place were still as every bit as gentlemanly as a gentleman from her own little world. At least of those she remembered. Not of the other six seemed to be up to the standard, anyway. But what about the casual warning about the dark? Was it more than a casual warning? Well, nothing stopped her from finding out. She waited until Avaritia finished his finger work on the fellow. The only good thing that came to mind about Avaritia was that he lived up to his name. Luxuria was about to live up to hers, the gentleman was being oh so nice after all.

Luxuria replied with a casual air, "Simply a synonym. Now then, I accept your offer, lead the way."

"Welcome! Glad to see we're starting to get along as a team."

"Are you certain?" Acedia asked, pointing to blonde woman who was ready to make off with a random stranger. The man looked like he was in quite a hurry to take her home. "You think she'll be fine?"

"Well, I reckon we find seven small kittens and sacrifice 'em to Lucifer on the base of that marble monument."

"I guess that's...something." He looked to the crowd that was hurrying back to their homes as the sun was setting. He couldn't read the strange four handed clocks, but a setting sun means one thing. "Actually, can it wait until tomorrow? It'll be time for bed soon." Yes, a nice long sleep sounded wonderful right now.

The streets are getting more and more empty, and the man looks around, strangely impatient. The sunset seems almost unnatural, the colors are beautiful, but it seems to be shifting swiftly. The sounds of footsteps on the stone-pavement of the streets are slowly getting replaced by the sound of doors and windows closing.

"Simply a synonym. Now then, I accept your offer, lead the way."

"That's good. Now, come with me, miss, hurry." He looks towards the others, noticing that they aren't running in order to get inside. The gentleman looks as if he's about to grab her hand and quickly get inside, but he notices their clothes, and figures out that they probably are travelers.

"You should all get inside and lock all doors and windows." He holds Luxuria's hand, his hand covered by a glove, and starts leading her away with him. The gentleman points towards the monument, and speaks one last time to the others.

"There's a hotel close by, they might have a few rooms left." Before they get the time to reply, he starts running, not giving Luxuria a chance to stop running. He does it as carefully as he can, giving the impression of that he is simply doing it in order to help her.

The others are left there, although some other men and women tells them to hurry. Most of those still out looks frightened or desperate. One could say feels like orderly panic, or disorderly procedure. The hotel seems to be right around the corner, as there is a sign there, depicting a simple bed. It is not far, but with the windows closed and covered up, it will be unlikely that the six others will be able to understand what is going on, at least on their own.

Luxuria and the gentleman enters an old house, dark in color and with little lighting, and the details are hard to make out. He tells her he will be right back after making sure everything is locked, and gives her a small candle, telling her to find the bedroom on her own. There is an ominous silence, all that can be heard is the gentleman's steps as he walks around upstairs.

Gula's ears took in the fullness of the clamor to get inside, he was not easily frightened but something here was clearly amiss. Luxuria clearly had her own solution though as she made nice with her new friend, such a clever girl, and quite a pretty morsel.

"There's a hotel close by, they might have a few rooms left."

He nodded and waved to the others to follow "Come along then, we might as well seek out a warm bed for the night," he said and he strode quickly towards the hotel, setting a brisk pace just shy of running. He wondered if they served food at the hotel, something to eat would be wonderful at the moment, although the foul taste still clung to his mouth.Bah I just need something to rinse that away, wine preferably though who knows what exotic foodstuffs they have here, he felt excited just thinking about it.

"Bears, actually."

'A sense of humor I sense?' Greed grinned warmly at her, a wit was always appreciated. He caught her peeking at him under her hood, how the hell she managed to keep that on in the lava room was beyond him. Some people were just tougher, he supposed. He noticed her gaze shift to the crowd behind them, and then Lust.

"Small kittens, of course. I hear he's fond of those." Greed gave a mock shrug, noticing people were rushing indoors. And a man was carrying off Lust. Not that he had any personal attachment, but;

"Are we not going to do anything about that? I think we need her for the puzzles."

"Come along then, we might as well seek out a warm bed for the night."

"... Or we can trust the guy running off with her. That works too." Greed rolled his eyes, looking around once more. Most everyone was off the streets it seemed. A bit chilling, actually. Was this how it felt for those villagers, before his group rolled around?

"Do we even have the money for a hotel? Or am I going to have to work my magic?" Greed gave an easy smile, jogging next to Gula.

"Are we not going to do anything about that? I think we need her for the puzzles."

Superbia rolled her eyes. Surely they didn't believe that Lust was going to be of any help to them. She clearly had no brains inside that pretty little head of hers. She was probably only here to be a hinderance to their group.

"Screw what the Devil said, that stupid girl ran off by herself. She'll come find us if she wants."

More importantly, Superbia worries about the tension in the streets. No one would meet her gaze and it seems like everyone's in a hurry but why? Is it because of an enforced curfew? Or is it something far more sinister? She didn't want to find out.

"Do we even have the money for a hotel? Or am I going to have to work my magic?"

Superbia sneered at Greed's statement. How was he going to "work his magic" when there's hardly anyone left on the streets? She hoped he was as good as he makes himself out to be but then, men never are. Oh well, I guess the only person you can rely on is yourself and that's a great thing when you're me! Superbia thought as she took her hood off and shook her hair out of her face. She bit her lips to give them colour and put on her brightest smile. Worst comes to worst, Lust was not the only one who knew how to charm her way through life.

With that, she followed the others towards the hotel.

"We might as well seek out a warm bed for the night."

Invidia turned to the one with the fancy eyeglasses. "Looks like you got your wish."
She wasn't sure that going to bed was a particularly sensible idea - what better time to find out what was going on in this town than when all the citizens were asleep? Also, she considered, we're all dead. She had a hunch that there'd be plenty of time for sleep soon enough.

She was about to suggest this theory when one of the others spoke - the one who hadn't yet said anything.

"Screw what the Devil said, that stupid girl ran off by herself. She'll come find us if she wants."

Invidia's words dripped with sarcasm. "Yeah, I'm sure we won't need her. It's not like she's got Lucifer's instructions with her or anything."
She was a little concerned about the list of rules. Particularly since Lucifer had mentioned that they may be 'updated' on a whim. Also, she wanted to check that thing about 'DONT KILL EACH OTHER'. You know, just to be sure.
She considered following after Luxuria, but the blonde woman had long since disappeared with her new friend. As a matter of fact, so had nearly everyone else. Unwilling to be left behind, Invidia followed the group.

"Looks like you got your wish."

Acedia practically beamed. Sleep was one of life's simple pleasures for him, and all this talk about devils and trials was exhausting. He did his best to try to keep up with Gula. His body was weak before he died, giving him the appearance of lightly jogging rather than running. The boy looked like he would break apart at any minute, but as God or the devil as his witness, he was gonna get in a bed if it was going to kill him again!

"Do we even have the money for a hotel? Or am I going to have to work my magic?"

"Well, I guess the streets work too," he muttered with a defeated sigh.

Luxuria had been escorted, rather roughly in fact, to a dark place and was left with only a candle for light. She silently moped about the fact that the gentleman had left her in a dark place all alone, but she would took his offer and supposedly all that offer entailed, which turned to include being left alone in the dark with naught but a little flicker of a candle's flame for light. At least she wasn't out there with the other six, getting nowhere. Good for them; they could all go die for all she cared.

Despite a lack of money, or even mentioning of such, the owner of the hotel opens his door, and asks them to enter, quickly. "Just don't bring attention to my door," he says. "I'll let you stay, I don't really have any other rooms, but I have extra sheets somewhere around here. Just get in!" He waits for them all to enter, before closing the door behind them, locking it while breathing heavily, clearly scared of what is out there. The man glances over them.

"Six people, and none of you had the sense to get inside before now? I've never seen something alike, everyone knows what's going on around here, after all. I would believe you were from outside town, only..." he shakes his head. "Not important. Anyways, we don't have much of a meal to offer at this time, but if you do me a favor, I will let you eat the leftovers from the dinner. It's decent stuff, despite what you might believe." He glances over at Gula, before continuing. It's almost as if he knows that Gula is the sinner of gluttony. "So, what do you say? I will also prepare beds if you do me that favor." This time, his eyes is at Acedia. It might bring a question to their mind; who is this man? Is he meant to be someone special? Or is he simply a reminder of that they are all playing a game?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After Luxuria finds her way to the bedroom, she notices the lack of candles inside. Whatever the man does in that room, lighting is not a part of it. She gets a short while to look around, and afterwards, the man enters. "So you found your way, Miss," he says. It's not easy to see, but from the light of the candle, she can see that he is smiling carefully, like a proper gentleman. He starts undressing, and touches her hand, his hand bare this time, skin touching skin.

The moment he does, a vision of some sorts flash in front of her face, of an unknown darkness grabbing a woman, and dragging her away, screams and crying as the horror spreads. It's dark outside, almost unbelievably dark, and the streets are in chaos. The person who witnesses it keeps running after the woman, calling her name, panicked and worried. However, the person suddenly stops running when he notices something on the ground. It is a hand, wearing a wedding ring, in front of the tall monument of the town. Apparently, it belonged to the woman being taken away, as the man, his voice now recognizable as the gentleman's, feels a great amount of sorrow and pain.

The inn keeper was frazzled and frightened, enough to overlook any charges for staying. That did seem peculiar to Acedia. No one offered services for free, not even the churches.

"So, what do you say? I will also prepare beds if you do me that favor."

Of course, there's a catch. Why can't anything be simple anymore? The inn keeper probably wanted them to work in lieu of paying or something, and he had the nerve to put beds on the line! Probably part of the game. And annoying too!

He turned to the others, waiting for their reactions. Maybe then he'll decide if these beds were worth the toil or not.

"I will also prepare beds if you do me that favor."

Ira glared at the innkeeper, trying to ascertain his motive. He was used to the concept of charity, and this was certainly not that - the man had clearly only allowed them in because he wanted something. Ira began to wish he'd stayed outside; he'd spent most of his life living in tents, and a night on the street could hardly be worse than the month he'd spent bed bound in an infirmary.

"Now just hold on a second. Why are you all so scared of the nighttime?" he demanded. He had already had enough of this stupid game even if it was a test, and he wasn't going to play any more until he got some answers.

"So, what do you say? I will also prepare beds if you do me that favor."

Gula considered the offer briefly, he was rather hungry and desperately in need of something to wash away the foul taste in his mouth. A strangers stale leftovers was not the most appealing item, but then who knows it could be something he'd never tried before. This was a strange new place after all perhaps full of unknown delicacies. Besides it might prove simple to assign the task to another member of their strange crew.

"Now just hold on a second. Why are you all so scared of the nighttime?"

This remark snapped him out of his contemplation of what food might await and brought him back to considering the task at hand. It was a good point of course, and they needed to know more about this place if they were going to figure out what they needed to do here.

"Yes, we would very much like to know that," he began in agreement with Ira, his stomach growled and he spoke again, "In addition we need to know what this task you have for us is before we can accept it, although I'm sure we would be willing to carry out whatever it is tomorrow if you can give us the promised rewards now."

Superbia looked around the inn, it was quaint and homey however none of the other guests could be seen. Are they hiding from what was outside too? This sent a chill up Superbia's spine and the whole room felt cold despite there being a small fire warming the room up in the corner of the room. The lanterns hanged from the ceiling that emitted a mellow glow gave the impression that this inn was a safe haven from whatever monster roams in the dark. Superbia couldn't help but wonder if this was an illusion for them to let their guards down. Superbia continued looking around, caution was her best weapon and she was not about to be lured into a false sense of security.

"If you do me a favor, I will let you eat the leftovers from the dinner."

Superbia glanced at the man, she was easily a head taller than him. How dare he offer LEFTOVERS to her? Sure they had no money but lets be honest, she could hurt this man easily not to mention the other "tough guys" in her group and he should know that too. It's a good thing that he seems like the easily persuaded type, perhaps she could turn this situation around with a bit of sweet talk backed up with the threat of force.

Superbia frowned, that's right. She decided to try play nice until the innkeeper gave up all his information on the dangers they could be facing in this god forsaken place before she demanded better treatment. She couldn't help wondering if this was their challenge? To fight what appears in this town at night time? She'd rather not thank you very much but if a battle was coming, Superbia will make sure she's ready to come out on top. I guess in that case, time is of the essence.

"Come on old man, we haven't got all night, tell us what you know and make it quick."

[GM Post]

"Yes, we would very much like to know that. In addition we need to know what this task you have for us is before we can accept it, although I'm sure we would be willing to carry out whatever it is tomorrow if you can give us the promised rewards now."

"Come on old man, we haven't got all night, tell us what you know and make it quick."

The owner of the hotel frowns as they start demanding answers. "This really isn't the time to speak of that, I need your help." However, he sighs. "There are monsters outside at night, horrible creatures of the shadows that drags anyone who forgets to lock their doors and windows and those who doesn't get inside quickly enough down, to the underworld to consume them. Or, so it is said, at least. All I really know is that the streets are unsafe at night, and that people have disappeared. Strong people, stronger than either of you, have tried to stop them, but to no avail. That is all I can say now."

He then turns towards Gula, addressing the second thing he said. "As for the rewards, you will get them after you help me with this. It's very important, and it can only be done tonight. Tomorrow, when the sun rises, I fear the thief will be gone." The keeper of the hotel begins explaining.

"I have a very important box that disappeared not long ago. The value of it is merely personal, but I would very much like to have it back. I'm sure that one of the current guests took it, as I saw it just before the sun started setting. However, I can't demand answers from my guests, nor can I search their things. So, I want you people to go and investigate, and bring me the thief and the box when you know who did it. After that, I will provide you with the promised items."

"So you found your way, Miss," His words were overshadowed by the onslaught of her vision.

With images like that, it took a while for Luxuria to recover. Since when could she seen the memories of others?! Or perhaps it was one of Lucifer's little jokes, 'touch naked skin and be in for a world of pain', very funny. Hell was fond of ironic punishments like that, or at least that was the impression she had of it. Suddenly, she remembered Rule No. 3 and desperately wanted that to be one of the rules on the list that were true. If none of the worlds were real, there was nothing to worried about right? Right? She breathed in and regained her composure. At least she didn't have to ask why they had to hurry on inside when it got dark. At least that question had been answered. Even though, the price she had to pay was far too steep for her liking.

"Do you know where the others when?" Luxuria asked, indicating a sudden want to get back to the group.

Acedia swayed back and forth as he listened to the inn keeper's request. He didn't want to chance facing any monsters at night. He'd be eaten alive! Being safely locked in an inn was comforting, and beds certainly would be nice. Running a hand through his messy hair, maybe there was a way he could get his beds after all.

He turned to the others with a weak smile. "Well I don't know about you guys, but I wouldn't make a good spy. But if one of you feel like you can, then why not give it a try? Couldn't hurt, right?"

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked