The Threshold Event (Super Hero) Started (PM me if you want to join late)

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

You may have noticed I posted an idea a while ago discussing the idea of having an rp where people play versions of other people characters. This became the dimension gem which ended up out of my hands because I still had exams at my time.

However now that I'm off for summer and I've had more time to think about the concept I've thought of another way to express the idea.

The original involved each player creating an archetype and then swapping archetypes each episode which would involve new characters (as well as new setting and plot set up). This would have slowed down pacing between episodes and while swapping archetypes was part of the point it would result in a lot of characters getting thrown away.

So instead I was thinking each player controls two characters one who would be your original creation, and the other would be an alternative version of someone else's.

The set up in the rp would be something along these lines; there are two universes, both of which are mostly the same, a present day city with super heroes and villains.
However then one day a portal opens between the two and the alternate versions of the characters come out.

The rp would be episodic in nature (but without the revolving cast that dimension gem had), and I'd like to experiment with having revolving GMs for example I'd GM the first section to do with the Threshold Event itself and from then on the plot will be mostly character driven.

All comments, critique or questions are welcome

*finally any one who can draw better than I can (which is anyone) who would like to do some art for this just say so (If this gets off the ground it would be nice to have an rp with and artist)

Here is my sheet, any sort of feedback would be appreciated (though I prefer the nice sort :P)

Edit: Fixed a few things with the powers.

Edit 2: Added a drawing.

I'll fill in relationships when more people show up, I guess.

And done for now, let me know if I have anything that needs fixing. I'm not really sure if it works as a European character, since I dunno that much about growing up/school over there, (I recall hearing that the RP was set in europe), so if that proves really awful I will probably just make him a student from America who is studying abroad.

Ruedyn:

Snip

I've talked with the other two over Skype

Just looking at your sheet it doesn't really say what you can or can't do with your powers, it isn't nearly specific enough.

If you could say list a few spells with specific functions or pick a general school of magic to narrow things down a bit.

Also the limits while they are going to limit you aren't enough for balance. There needs to be something that actually counters your powers, since it's ink maybe your enchantments/ runes/ summons would be water soluble (that's just an example and if you're having multiple different schools of magic you may need to have different pluses and minuses for each type of spell casting).

avouleance2nd:
Snip

I've got Skype too, if that makes things easier for you. It's ruedy120.

And I went about fixing it, then. He won't be getting any other sort of magic. If my description of combat drawing wasn't up to snuff, it's basically just making a puppet of ink, or perhaps a weapon if he's really REALLY desperate.

Arrogancy:

Snip

Again it's a good sheet just need a little more specification around the powers.

The illusion part is fine (interesting as well) though you'll need to be careful about making them believable. (And you'll need to be able to keep track of your own illusions) I'd say you can make people see/ hear what you want but people are still able think for themselves.

How does that sound? If you've a different idea for how they could work mechanically I'd be open to discussing it but as it is it's not clear exactly what you can and can't go.

Also what exactly do ethereal bolts do?

avouleance2nd:

Arrogancy:

Snip

Again it's a good sheet just need a little more specification around the powers.

The illusion part is fine (interesting as well) though you'll need to be careful about making them believable. (And you'll need to be able to keep track of your own illusions) I'd say you can make people see/ hear what you want but people are still able think for themselves.

How does that sound? If you've a different idea for how they could work mechanically I'd be open to discussing it but as it is it's not clear exactly what you can and can't go.

Also what exactly do ethereal bolts do?

I'm fine with that, that's pretty much the route I was going anyway. Ethereal bolts is just a general term for throwing arcane energy about. It's pretty much his main combative power, though the bolts can assume elemental traits (fire bolt, ice bolt, lightning bolt, etc.).

Arrogancy:

Snip

That's good

Also sorry for delays everyone but my sheet and an example of an alt sheet should be done tomorrow.
But I don't think we should be making alt sheets until we've got the sheets (5-7 not including mine)

Still very much a work in progress. Wanted to take the challenge and actually write a lawful character, a more golden age hero, rather than the dark age anti-heroes everybody else is making.

Edit: After much reconsidering, rereading my sheet, revaluation of the time I have, and some new information regarding this LP, I am going to take back my request for acceptance to this RP. I will leave my sheet up. If anyone wants to try to use this character, or use it as the foundation for another, they are entirely welcome to.

Ruedyn:

avouleance2nd:

Snip

It's a big improvement so tentative Yes. But I'll keep an eye on it for balance

[quote="Not G. Ivingname" post="540.820407.19812732"]
Snip

Won't say much so far since it's a work in progress but so far the powers are classic but it's different from the other characters.

One thing I would say is I'm not sure about the cancer thing, I'm not saying no. But if you are going through with being terminally ill be careful, it's a sensitive issue.

My character and alt are coming soon.

Not G. Ivingname:

Still very much a work in progress. Wanted to take the challenge and actually write a lawful character, a more golden age hero, rather than the dark age anti-heroes everybody else is making.

Just saying, but someone being of chaotic alignment doesn't make them an anti-hero. Also, my guy is a villain, and IFS's character is far from an anti-hero, which makes "everybody else" two people.

DarkRawen:

Not G. Ivingname:

Just saying, but someone being of chaotic alignment doesn't make them an anti-hero. Also, my guy is a villain, and IFS's character is far from an anti-hero, which makes "everybody else" two people.

Fair enough, but still my character does not take to kindly to IFS's do to his ignoring of rules. Joseph is still part of the police force, even after gaining his powers, so takes procedure seriously.

Not G. Ivingname:

DarkRawen:

Not G. Ivingname:

Fair enough, but still my character does not take to kindly to IFS's do to his ignoring of rules. Joseph is still part of the police force, even after gaining his powers, so takes procedure seriously.

And my character was a cop for a week and is now a criminal, they should meet up :P Because that won't cause any sorts of trouble :P

avouleance2nd:

Ruedyn:

avouleance2nd:

Snip

Not G. Ivingname:

Snip

Won't say much so far since it's a work in progress but so far the powers are classic but it's different from the other characters.

One thing I would say is I'm not sure about the cancer thing, I'm not saying no. But if you are going through with being terminally ill be careful, it's a sensitive issue.

Fair enough, I have lost several family members to cancer, so I understand your concerns. Still, I was trying to come up with some means of gaining powers other than "falling into vat of chemicals" or magic. I am trying to reconstruct moral, golden age heroes, so first step is to make Joseph's origin story at least plausible.

If you have any other ideas, I would love to hear them.

Is it too late to apply? In any case, here's a character concept.

VuvuZelaMan:
Is it too late to apply? In any case, here's a character concept.

Never too late
Been a long time since the last super hero rp we were in but it was a lot of fun.

You on Skype?

But yes take your time working on the sheet you've got a while.

And to everyone I'm having problems with writers block so my sheets might be delayed but I shouldn't be busy tomorrow so I'll get back to work on it.

Not G. Ivingname:

Snip

No it's ok go ahead and do it, I wasn't saying you couldn't just be careful.

avouleance2nd:

VuvuZelaMan:
It's a-me! Snip.

[/spoiler]

Never too late
Been a long time since the last super hero rp we were in but it was a lot of fun.

You on Skype?

But yes take your time working on the sheet you've got a while.

And to everyone I'm having problems with writers block so my sheets might be delayed but I shouldn't be busy tomorrow so I'll get back to work on it.

Good, good. I'd had the character idea for a bit personality-wise, but some bits are still unfinished.

I do have a Skype now (got it for an Avatar RP I was in a while back, never updated my profile here about it).\

In any case, no need to rush, and hopefully this run will be just as fortuitous.

Not G. Ivingname:

avouleance2nd:

Ruedyn:

Fair enough, I have lost several family members to cancer, so I understand your concerns. Still, I was trying to come up with some means of gaining powers other than "falling into vat of chemicals" or magic. I am trying to reconstruct moral, golden age heroes, so first step is to make Joseph's origin story at least plausible.

First off your sheet is so full of grammar problems there are several parts where I'm not sure what you mean, or where I wonder if you just phrased something really poorly or if you meant to write something else. I don't want to be a grammar nazi and bring this stuff up all the time but its really bad here.

Secondly golden age was where you had a lot of "magic" or "lightning strikes/radiation" causing powers, and honestly some of that is a lot more plausible than a single gene being turned on to grant powers.

Finally a lot of what you write about his equipment and such seems to contradict his dislike of force, and honestly seems a bit absurd for him to have. I don't know how exactly cops in European nations are equipped but I doubt they are allowed to just go around with riot shields and the like.

IFS:

Not G. Ivingname:

avouleance2nd:

First off your sheet is so full of grammar problems there are several parts where I'm not sure what you mean, or where I wonder if you just phrased something really poorly or if you meant to write something else. I don't want to be a grammar nazi and bring this stuff up all the time but its really bad here.

Secondly golden age was where you had a lot of "magic" or "lightning strikes/radiation" causing powers, and honestly some of that is a lot more plausible than a single gene being turned on to grant powers.

Finally a lot of what you write about his equipment and such seems to contradict his dislike of force, and honestly seems a bit absurd for him to have. I don't know how exactly cops in European nations are equipped but I doubt they are allowed to just go around with riot shields and the like.

Sorry, grammar is not my strong suit. If you can tell me the errors, I will sort them out.

It wasn't just the gene, but yeah, it does seem a bit silly. If you have a better idea, I am all ears. Maybe blessed by some spirit of virtue?

I wasn't aware we would be in an European city. The riot shield was a kind of a ripoff of inspired by Captain America(my idea was they gave it to my character do to the influence of the Captain for their own policeman superhero, and partly because my character could easily carry it around at full sprint) I will lose the guns.

Not G. Ivingname:

IFS:

Not G. Ivingname:

Sorry, grammar is not my strong suit. If you can tell me the errors, I will sort them out.

It wasn't just the gene, but yeah, it does seem a bit silly. If you have a better idea, I am all ears. Maybe blessed by some spirit of virtue?

I wasn't aware we would be in an European city. The riot shield was a kind of a ripoff of inspired by Captain America(my idea was they gave it to my character do to the influence of the Captain for their own policeman superhero, and partly because my character could easily carry it around at full sprint) I will lose the guns.

Ehm, just saying, but most European police forces have guns... Although only one would be sufficient, since I can't see them carry more than one except for special situations. So I'd say, keep the gun/guns, else my backstory looks silly.

Not G. Ivingname:

I would rather not be your personal editor, so I would advise you read through your sheet again out loud to find them. Still a few that stuck out to me were: "The cancer became Bones became as hard as steel.", "Joseph when the chemotherapy wasn't working," and "is really hard for Joseph to do his strict moral code."

As for your powers origin I don't really care how silly it is, but it does annoy me that you would call some things silly when your own isn't any better.

As for the European thing I'm not sure if Avo has stated that in the forum, but from what she's said on skype it is somewhere in Europe. For all I know that may be subject to change though.

I've done a fair bit of work on my character sheet.

VuvuZelaMan:

Snip

Works for me

Also here's my sheet

Also we aren't closing yet but it's as good a time as any to start on the alt characters. Feel free to wait on me to do an example (hopefully coming today or tomorrow).

Post them here like you would normally (if a character get's multiple good alts then it's the choice of the original creator).

Good luck.

avouleance2nd:

VuvuZelaMan:

Snip

Works for me

Also here's my sheet

Also we aren't closing yet but it's as good a time as any to start on the alt characters. Feel free to wait on me to do an example (hopefully coming today or tomorrow).

Post them here like you would normally (if a character get's multiple good alts then it's the choice of the original creator).

Good luck.

I'm alting IFS' character, just so no one else tries to.

An example of an Alt Character

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked