The Praetorians, a fantasy cop drama. (Game thread Started/CLOSED Prologue)

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Praetorians

Hi everybody, Dogmatic here and this charming fellow would be Belmarc *Points at Belmarc*. As the title suggests we've been working on a fantasy RP that's watched too many episodes of The Wire and Law & Order. Hopefully this RP will be full of all those wonderful moments that make up the cops and robber genre, down to frantic foot chases through the crowded city streets, tense stand-offs with bank robbers and hostage takers and of course at some point someone has to get called a loose cannon while their commander tells them to GET THE HELL OUT OF THEIR OFFICE!

But it has a thoughtful side to. This world is full of spicy fantasy racism and the characters in it are going to be faced with both their own prejudices as those held by other people. No one's perfect but some are trying to change. The only question is whether our players become a part of the problem or the solution.

If you've got any questions don't hesitate to throw them at my face and me or Bel will do our best to answer them as I cradle the shattered remnants of my face.

Backstory:

Technology: Science has come a long way in the past few years. It largely resembles the technology of 1915 with a few changes. The pistols are revolvers, the rifles are bolt action and the machine guns are huge, lumbering things that need at least two people to work them. The cameras of the day are just as big and clunky but the motion pictures are coming along nicely there's even rumours that some folks up in Spring Crest are working on a talking film! The cars handle slowly and cost a heap to buy but they look so snazzy and you know you want one. Good luck buying a good car on a cops salary though. What you could get is your own wireless though! There's one in almost every home and they come in countless shapes and sizes! (Well a lot of shapes and sizes anyway)

Playable races:

The city of Rosenheim

Making a character

***Reserved for Characters***

Sounds very interesting. I've already got an idea for a character, but I'll come back once it's more refined. :)

You have my interest, sheet will be up sometime or another >.>

I must say, I've been looking for an excuse to RP on the Escapist for the last couple of weeks, and this premise is quite intriguing. I'll leave a bit of interest sitting here for now and come back with a charrie in few moments.

Edit: One quick question for background purposes. How many years are we talking, since the return of these supernatural beings to the city?

interesting hope this decent enough

Sounds interesting. I'll see what I can come up with...

Quick question: are members of the force allowed to have their own personal catchphrases? And, if so, is profanity encouraged or discouraged?

In all seriousness though, this sounds like a fun concept. Are all characters going to be out in the field, doing patrols and solving cases, or can some of them take a desk-job or two?

well, here's a sheet. this look like an interesting role play.

Pappytech:
Quick question: are members of the force allowed to have their own personal catchphrases? And, if so, is profanity encouraged or discouraged?

In all seriousness though, this sounds like a fun concept. Are all characters going to be out in the field, doing patrols and solving cases, or can some of them take a desk-job or two?

For now I reserve judgment on catchphrases and CSI style one liners since I too would be super tempted to do them.

The point of this unit existing for such a special purpose is that they can be called in on a variety of jobs. I'd like to have a lot of the characters together for maximum player interaction and you'll each have your fair share of drama around the presinct too.

*points to question concerning number of years since monsters returned to the city*

EnigmaticSevens:
*points to question concerning number of years since monsters returned to the city*

Oops missed that. They've been kicking around for about 4 years now (city shedders not withstanding). The movement got off to a slow start but once it picked up steam it really got going.

While I'm responding to stuff. I've made a minor edit to the Faye ection to anyone who's interested in them that I forgot to include earlier. And to anyone interested in playing a shedder, yes the gender section is a little more fluid for you lot depending on what you're shifting into. Feel free to include a prefered gender or one your character identifies with better if you want, or don't psychology is funky like that.

So... Initially, I thought I was going to play a non-human character. But, after getting this character concept in my head and realizing that I really, really wanted to go with it, I realized that he kind of had to be a human. Should still be fun though.

Everybody likes racists, right?

Edit: Okay, it looks the Escapist spoilers do not like accents. So, for clarification, Archie's surname is Ampère, with the accent over that first e. I just can't put it in the character sheet proper, as the formatting freaks out.

This is what I got so far, though I can change anything if I have to.

Alright, here we go! Please let me know what all needs adjusting.

Will finish the bio soon, sorry.

Good turnout so far! I'll get to work on the first batch of feedback. Watch this space.

Pappytech:

Fine stuff! Always good to have an blatant racist on the team in these times of upheaval, welcome aboard.

booksv2:

Everything seems in order with Jon though I'd suggest fleshing out his bio a little, nothing major just the little details like where does he live now? What does he like to do in his spare time? and his opinion on non-humans or if he's had any encounters with them at all.

CrazyGirl17:

Good sheet though I would give the same advice I gave to booksv2 and consider fleshing her out a little. Again just the little things.

EnigmaticSevens:

Very nice sheet though I feel I should mention that wargs aren't limited to just 1 animal form. As I've said to other people interested in them I'm asking that people don't go crazy with the number of forms their character can take and think of what animals their character would have had contact/experience with.

I really like how much he identifies with the wolf but don't be afraid to rock up as a badger or a ferret if the situation calls for it... or something cooler... though I fail to see what could be cooler than a werebadger >.>

Captain Anon:

Fraid we have a few problems here.
His apperance could use more details, I don't have much of an idea of how he looks other than being grey/blonde and short or how he acts around other people. You said what he's like in a fight but what about social situations?
Then there's his bio, it just seems to jump from point to point. It sounds as if he's allowed to become a policeman because he was forcibly adopted by one, nevermind going through training or the academy, this isn't the kind of job you can just give away. And why did his dad kick him out?
Then one time he saved a child, why was someone trying to kill this child? Was it part of a case, was your guy just passing by?
Why did he join the praetorians? If he's a respected detective why would he end up in a unit that no one wants to be a part of where he'd have to do lowly grunt work?
Then there's the druid staff thing. I mentioned in the OP a few times that magic has left the world. It's gone with no trace or left overs. If he has a staff then it's just a stick.
You've got the basic framework of a character here now just take a breath and give him some details. Turn him into a believable person.

Ruedyn:

Just a quick note: I know we've got a lot of people with scruffy uniforms and that's fine since you lot are a rag tag bunch but you aren't plain clothes police. Showing up to work out of uniform especially in the police force would just lead to you being sent home to change.

Okay, here's my effort...

NinjaDeathSlap:

Really cool sheet, I like the idea of a hulk style character and he seems very well realised. I'm guessing his family had to hide the fact that they were wargs since Jason grew up in post purge Rosenheim? If not then he would have grown up outside the city like the other wargs.

REPOST!!

Dogmatic99:

NinjaDeathSlap:

Really cool sheet, I like the idea of a hulk style character and he seems very well realised. I'm guessing his family had to hide the fact that they were wargs since Jason grew up in post purge Rosenheim? If not then he would have grown up outside the city like the other wargs.

That's correct. In his early childhood at least, before Kalah turned up.

here's my sheet after some minor changes.

Well, since it was requested, here's the updated version of my character's bio:

Any better?

Dogmatic99:
-snip-

Oh, wow, I was unaware of the other animal forms bit. I'll just call the wolf the primary one then, and think up a couple secondaries to add on. Though, as you said, topping werebadger will take some honest effort.

Hope it's good. If you find any typos, you can keep them.
However, please tell me, if I'm using some words incorrectly. I'm not a native english speaker so... rp-ing in english is quite hard for me.

Fun fact: There's a city named Rosenheim about 200 km south of where I'm living.

EDIT:
Changed some dates due to similarities with Marc
Included paragraphs for clarity

EDIT 2:
Changed bio
DAMN YOU, TYPOS!!!
Included rank

Hmm, colour me intrigued on this one, I might have something up in the next day or two, though that depends on my free time.

Also, and this is a question out of curiosity, but how come if our character has a sidearm, it has to be a revolver and not a pistol?

Evrant:
Hmm, colour me intrigued on this one, I might have something up in the next day or two, though that depends on my free time.

Also, and this is a question out of curiosity, but how come if our character has a sidearm, it has to be a revolver and not a pistol?

think like the usa's wild west. they had revolvers but not pistols. it just means the technology base isn't quite advanced enough for pistols.
if it was honestly there probably wouldn't be any non-humans because humans are so bloody minded sometimes that a small group with automatic weapons as fast loading as pistols and assault rifles could wipe out whole species. as they do today. and they arn't even mostly sentient.

And done, for now. Criticisms welcome...

Just a little concept I want to play with. :)

This looks neat. I'll have a sheet up today or tomorrow.

Just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in. I like the look of the concept, so I'll writw up a character sheet and poat it in the next day or so.

any limits on forms for shifters? like size compared to human form or what forms they can take?

Lunar Templar:
any limits on forms for shifters? like size compared to human form or what forms they can take?

The limits for each kind of shifter are given in the OP, any limits within that I'm leaving up to people's common sense. If you think it seems overpowered or trenchcoaty then it probably is. If you've got a specific form in mind or something then I can be more detailed.

RP Note: Applications will be closing Tuesday morning my time, which given the range of timezones we've got here would be Monday night/afternoon for most people.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked