The Praetorians, a fantasy cop drama. (Game thread Started/CLOSED Prologue)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Cali watched Archibald approach looking rather smug, and bit back a response.

"Not the cat or either of the Mathers, of course. Try to find the other scent on it, the one belonging to the Warg who imperson... the Warg who disguised himself as the cat for the past few days. That's the thief."

Cali's mouth opened and closed a few times, trying to process this information. Finally, she spoke up. "That's all well and good, but do you think it will work?"

Privately she hoped it would, even if she would never hear the end of it from this guy...

"That's all well and good, but do you think it will work?"

"Frankly, I haven't the slightest," Archibald admitted, waving his hand as though to wipe the Talin's question out of the air. "Hunting was never one of my fortes, so I don't know for certain how long a scent remains intact upon a given place or item, especially one that another animal's been around for years.

"But," he continued, giving a noncommittal shrug, "even if it doesn't, the fact that the thief, or thieves, are using a Warg to infiltrate the victim's houses should be enough information to give the proper investigation a good start."

The officer gave another self-satisfied smirk. Unless his squadmates could come up with another feasible method of tracking down the rogue Warg, they would have no choice but to go along with this plan or admit that they were out of their depth, and pass it off to another squad. Either way, it would be a victory for him.

"I'll be wanting the reports of who ever brought in the Talin kid even sooner than possible!"

It looked like he couldn't escape it, so Chris simply sat down and typed up a short report. Well, it was only short because he, out the there, did the least in terms of work. Chris sighed, he would really have to work harder. Ackerman was in a bad mood and reading such a small report would probably worsen it. However, it wasn't like Chris cared if he'd be fired for a such a thing. Well, he would, but who fires an employee before he can even prove himself?

'It'll have to do, at least' Chris thought to himself as he made the final touches.

Rat fumbled with catching the wrapped up collar,the item bouncing out of his hands a few times before he finally held onto it firmly. He sighed in relief and gently unwrapped it, then removing the item from the handkerchief, he raised it to his nose and sniffed at it. He could recognize the scent of the Mather's and Charlie, which his nose was full of now, but was able to separate what he thought he was looking for from the rest. It was a little too familiar, and made him sick for home. City wargs were more like humans than country ones when it came to greetings and personal space. He pulled the collar away from his face and, closing his eyes, lifted his nose to try and find the same scent in the area. His two companions scents were there, plain as day, and the lingering scent of the crowd. Underneath it all, the regular traffic of the city, mostly humans. In between that, however, was the traffic of the animals given free roam. But now that he was searching for it, he noticed what he hadn't before. He cursed himself for not noticing right away. "Wargs." He shook his head. "Don't know how many, too mixed."

Rory lit one of his cigarettes and a smell like spice and cinnamon snaked its way through the precinct slowly but surely. Typically he couldn't care less about livening up the office with little homey touches. But this time, the impromptu incense was a must, hell, it was the only thing keeping him from dragging Colin and Sameera out back and burying them three feet deep. They were lovely people, and yes, they had bathed and changed, but it was going take at least two more deep scrubbings before the stench ceased nipping at Rory's nostrils. Typing up his report had been a nice distraction, a pity it hadn't lasted very long.

Shooting occurred at Old River Restaurant, 214 Alburton Ave.
Processed crime scene with the assistance of Constable Vasir.
Vasir stabilized the victim (shredder), I interviewed witnesses and searched premises for clues.
Conflict occurred in back room of restaurant with outlet to the back alley.
Four individuals in backroom, Shooter entered and assaulted known victim, the other individuals returned small arms fire and fled
After turning over scene to city officers, Vasir and I followed the trail of the three to its end. Too weak to pinpoint, dispersed at nearest crossroads.
Commendation for Constable Vasir's efforts to aid the victim, without his intervention the man would surely have died.

Alright, so it wasn't winning any prizes and might have skirted a few details, but it was simple and to the point. Rory suspected Ackerman might appreciate brevity once she was neck deep in paper work. Unfortunately, Rory's gracious act of concise reporting now meant that the only thing left to do was lounge about, and lounging about meant becoming all the more intimately acquainted with what Colin and Sameera had been wading through. He perked up slightly at the sound of furious typing, someone tucking away into their report with a somewhat unsettling sort of enthusiasm. Rory gave his rolling chair a little kick and slid across the aisle over to Jason's desk. He crossed his arms and draped himself casually across the back of his chair, cocking an eyebrow at the other warg. This close, the smell coming of the man was distinct and familiar, a black, black fire burning low, all the usual warning pheromones, the smell of almost violence, "Careful, mate, or that typewriter's liable to press charges. Rough day?"

After showering, Sameera changed into what seemed to be a mixup of several different uniforms. Just as she was about to sit down at her table, her stomach reminded her of something more urgent with an audible growl. She remembered a nearby bakery, that she saw on her way here and made her leave with an apologising gesture towards her colleagues.

A little later, Sameera came back with roughly a dozen sandwiches in her arms. Crumbs around her mouth proved, that she already ate at least one on her way back. She placed them on a vacant table, took one, sat down at her desk and began typing her report while eating another sandwich. Her report turned out short but she made sure to write everything important in it.

Once she was done, she took the pages and tacked them. Sameera then brought the report to the Captain's desk and left in search for a piece of cloth. After finding one in a broom closet, she sat down, this time on her table, unsheathed her sword and began cleaning and polishing the blade, just to keep herself busy. A strange smell reached her nose and she paused for a moment, looking for the source of it. It came from the cigarette in the redhead's mouth, who was with her in the car at the beginning of the patrol. Rory Red if she remembered correctly. She raised her eyebrows disapprovingly.
Sameera didn't like when someone was smoking inside.

That was one squad's reports in. The sewer chase was a little... well, extreme but that was Novak's problem. he took a risk sending rookies in like that, all because he needs to get some more exercise. That same sergeant came back to Ackerman's office shortly, with the results of his talk with the perp in holding in hand.

"They handled themselves well today." Mabel said without looking up from her growing pile of paperwork. "A little rough around the edges but they've got potential."

"What do you expect? I doubt half of them can even remember what the academy building looks like the slap-dash job that got made of them." Novak said in his usual grumble.

"That's where we come in."

"I suppose so." Novak absent mindedly leafed through the reports. "Called his fellow officer insane?" He looked up at Ackerman quizzically.

"Like I said... rough around the edges but all in all we had a good start to the day."

"Then you are going to love this." He said, handing her the talin's statement.

The two of them talked for a while and Novak came out of the office some time later. He'd neglected to tell the captain about the wealth of extra weapons the new recruits had admitted to having. Red and Draven might prove difficult to manage later down the line, he'd have to see about that somehow.

"Well done to everyone." he called out to the group he'd taken in the car. "B+ all round! And to Mr Vasir..." he placed a requisition form in front of Mordecai. "Captain's interested in your medical training, she wants a list of field supplies you think you'll need and she'll what she can lay her hands on. I wouldn't expect that to be the end of it." He moved off to claim his own desk. "stick it out the window, Red." He gestured to Rory and his cigarette. "You'll only get an earful if you don't."

And with that Novak got to work on his own, personnel report, it was down to him to get a read on these new recruits to see how they'd fit together. It looked like it could make for an interesting fit to say the least.

"Careful, mate, or that typewriter's liable to press charges. Rough day?"

"Not really." Jason muttered darkly "I rough day would have been right up my alley. Let's call this one 'insufferable'."

He finished typing the last words, and pulled the page out of the top of the typewriter, more carefully than he might have done a minute earlier. His mood was deflating rapidly from rage to brooding. Jason personally didn't mind smoking, although he didn't do it himself; and honestly, even if he normally would, by now he was long past caring.

"Listen," he said to Red "When I'm done handing this over, I'll tell you all about it over a stiff drink." After that, Jason left his desk and went and knocked on the door to Captain Ackerman's office.

After politely excusing himself from the group, Mordecai went off to write his after investigation report, which he noted everything. It wasn't long for others to have arrived as they sat down at desks to write their own reports. Soon as he was done, Mordecai went to hand in his report to Captain Ackerman, who appeared to be checking over some files when he entered. Afterwards, Mordecai went into the staff room, and retrieved the first aid kit that was there, remember that he was to examine Sameera's injuries.

A while later, and with everyone pretty much in the same room, Sergeant Novak soon entered the room.

"Well done to everyone." The Sergeant called out to everyone that was in the car with him. "B+ all round! And to Mr Vasir..." He then placed a requisition form that was on a light blue coloured paper. "Captain's interested in your medical training, she wants a list of field supplies you think you'll need and she'll what she can lay her hands on. I wouldn't expect that to be the end of it." Novak then told off Rory for smoking his cigarette.

"Interesting..." Mordecai said as he looked over the form, gently pushing the bottom of his goggles back into position. "Sergeant Novak, once I have tended to the injuries that Miss Draven sustained earlier, I shall begin formulating a list of what I shall be requiring; though the first item on the agenda should be a dedicated first aid room, it'll be useful having such a facility here at the precinct. There are some other things, but I'll need to talk to Captain Ackerman about those."

"Wargs. Don't know how many, too mixed."

As the mongrel spoke up, Archibald's victorious grin faded away, being replaced by a thin, contemplative line. An unknown number, eh? Though there was no evidence to suggest that all of them were working together, or would be at the same location, it would be safer to assume as much. And walking into a situation with an unknown number of possible thieves, crooks who would most likely be willing to attack and kill an officer of the law...

"You don't know how many there are?" Archibald glanced at his squadmates, his mind made up. They'd already gone far enough off course tonight. There was no need nor sense in continuing any further. "Then we're done here. Pack it up, we're going back to the precinct."

Nodding once at the Warg, the officer turned his eyes on the Talin. He didn't bother to keep the bite out of his voice. "I don't care how your 'heart' feels about it; there is no sense in walking unprepared into a den of thieves. At least, not unless you have a death wish."

His gaze hard as steel, Archibald glared at his squadmate, daring her to challenge his decision this time around. "We will report what happened to the Captain, ensure that the details get passed on, and will wait for the higher-ups decide how to handle the situation. Understood?"

Again, Cali bit her tongue. She knew Archibald was right... but she would not give him the pleasure of knowing so.

Instead, she just said, "...Fine. I guess we have no choice then." Reluctantly, she followed after him, glancing behind her only for a second.

"Well done to everyone." he called out to the group he'd taken in the car. "B+ all round!"

Collin waved cheerfully back at Novak from his desk, a grin on his face. Despite his outwardly carefree attitude, Collin had almost been worried that someone would appear and tell him that his assignment to the Praetorians had been a mistake and he should leave. He wasn't built like a mountain, nor did he have a dozen non-regulation weapons but he was still a Praetorian and that was something to be proud of. One thing was for sure, the role of Loose Cannon was already occupied and Collin would have to figure out his own role later.

"We couldn't have the local crooks thinking the Praetorians are afraid to chase suspects into the sewers," said Collin, leaning back in his chair. "They've got to learn that Draven will hunt them down anyway," he shot a look over at Draven, "and that they shouldn't take her stuff without asking," he added with a grin. "It's a rule."

"Well done to everyone." he called out to the group he'd taken in the car. "B+ all round!"

~A what?~

Was that a human saying or something like that? She shook her head and focused on cleaning the blade again, but she soon stopped as she noticed that cleaning an already clean weapon was rather pointless. She put the sword away, stood up and made her way towards Mordecai.

"We couldn't have the local crooks thinking the Praetorians are afraid to chase suspects into the sewers, they've got to learn that Draven will hunt them down anyway and that they shouldn't take her stuff without asking. It's a rule."

"And you broke it. But... since we're colleagues and since there are way too many witnesses in here, I'll forgive you. But only this time. Oh, erm, and by the way: what's a 'beeplus'?"
A valid question since she was not familiar with the human education system and it's grades.

"And you broke it. But... since we're colleagues and since there are way too many witnesses in here, I'll forgive you. But only this time. Oh, erm, and by the way: what's a 'beeplus'?"

"Nothing overly important," Collin waved dismissively, presumably because he hadn't received a great many B+'s in his time. "Just part of the education system you see, students submit assessment pieces, could be an essay or exam or a speech and teachers have a system of grading them using letters. A+ is the highest you can get and it decreases from there to A, A-, then B+ and like that from there. 'A' is excellent and 'B' is good so B+ is pretty much saying very good."

Rat lingered a moment behind, remembering his time before the city. Even if they were the scents of criminals, he felt like he belonged. He shook his head of the matter and jogged to catch up to the rest of his squad. He gave Cali a friendly bump and a grin as he pulled up alongside of her. "We'll find 'em," he whispered to her, just low enough that Archibald wouldn't be able to quite catch what he said.

Chris read over his report over and over, doubling checking for any mistakes. Then without further ado, he handed his report in. As he left the office, dread overcame him. It wasn't because of a fear of getting snacked or anything like that. While he was ambivalent about the job, he did care about what others thought of him. Chris was certain that he gave an impression of an indigent back-pedaller, a toady, a yes-man and a coward. Maybe shutting himself up in the mansion wasn't such a bad idea after all? Regardless of that, Chris made his way back to his desk and began fiddling with the assorted objects there, just to distract himself from the dread of waiting. There was always the choice of chatting to someone, but in his sorry state, Chris didn't feel up to it.

"Just part of the education system you see, students submit assessment pieces, could be an essay or exam or a speech and teachers have a system of grading them using letters. A+ is the highest you can get and it decreases from there to A, A-, then B+ and like that from there. 'A' is excellent and 'B' is good so B+ is pretty much saying very good."

'Humans are weird.' Marc could've piped up with something about Dark Kin grading methods-- though they were likely outdated, he figured-- but he ended up just sighing. His report was finished, not his most impressive work, but it'd do for a standard report. The fact it was almost 10 pages and filled with near exact details from the mind of one with an eidetic memory was just a plus!

He slid his feet off his chair and got up, he didn't mean to sit like that, it just sort of... happened. It was more comfortable than you'd think. He dropped off the report, and sat back in his office, spinning his swivel chair against the desk.

He would never get tired of that.

"...Fine. I guess we have no choice then."

Clicking his tongue once in approval, Archibald turned away from his sqaudmates. Out of the corner of his eye, he could see them cluster together and whisper conspiratorial words, but he didn't care enough to find out exactly what they were saying. No matter what they thought, this was the proper course of action. If they couldn't see that, then it was only further proof that he needed to take charge of the situation. Somebody had to ensure that they did the rational thing, after all.

Striding over to the gathered group of locals, the officer made sure to thank them all for their time and help. Without actually giving a definite time-table, he assured them that the thieves would be tracked down and brought to justice.

To Julie Mathers, he once more expressed his condolences on the death of her cat. While he believed similar fates had befallen the other missing animals, he did not say as such to the other victims; there was no need to tell them that their pets were dead without complete proof. A little hope wouldn't hurt them.

Then, nodding respectfully in farewell, Archibald led the rest of his squad back to the precinct. Undoubtedly, they'd have some explaining to do.

"Captain Ackerman, ma'am," Archibald began, standing in front of his superior's desk with his shoulders squared, hands tightly clasped behind his back. "Constable Ampère reporting in. My squad and I have returned from our, ah, 'patrol'."

"Very good, Constable. I expect your unit's reports on my desk before the end of the day." The captain nodded. "And please send in Constables Hunt and Co while you're at it."

Mabel waited patiently as the trio of Jason, Marc and Chris filed in and took their seats opposite her. She locked eyes with each of them in silence as them came in, her expression was more or less impassive with a little bit of the stern school mistress trying to creep in.

"So." She broke the silence, shuffling the papers before her. "Your unit split up, leaving an officer on their own and another in a precarious position. Leading to an officer discharging their weapon in the company of unarmed teenagers and one officer laying hands on another. So... where shall we start?"

Marc was retrieved from his desk not first, it seemed. He was also kind of dizzy, from chair spinning, add in tired from the night and report, and he really didn't want to get yelled at right now. But he sighed, trying to will his body into not collapsing on the floor. The captain seemed to be keeping a hard neutral expression, and the office was kinda plain.

'And now for accusations, yelling, reprimanding. Rebuke, reproof, admonish, reproach, scold, finger wag.'

"Your unit split up, leaving an officer on their own and another in a precarious position. Leading to an officer discharging their weapon in the company of unarmed teenagers and one officer laying hands on another. So... where shall we start?"

"... Censure." the night kin finished out loud, looking more tired. "Wait, those were actual kids?" Marc mused, looking kind of quizzical, not completely familiar with others anatomy.

"Anyways, I feel like a lot of those could've been avoided with 4 units instead of our three. My report covered my logic in choosing to split up. Apparently it was wrong..."

As Ackerman began her introduction to their dressing down, Jason sat with his back straight, meeting his superiors' gaze with what he hoped came across as a mixture of strength and humility. He didn't want to come across as aggressive, prideful, or unapologetic. There'd been enough of all that for one day. However, he also didn't want to be a boot-licker, stumbling out excuses and letting himself take the flak for things that were not his fault. This would be an uncomfortable road to walk.

"Wait, those were actual kids?"

It was all Jason could do not to visibly pound his head against the wall.

"Anyways, I feel like a lot of those could've been avoided with 4 units instead of our three. My report covered my logic in choosing to split up. Apparently it was wrong..."

"Your 'logic' might have had more basis if you'd chosen to share it with anyone at the time." Jason hissed, trying to sound as calm as he could through gritted teeth. "And perhaps now is not the right time to start challenging the Captain's deployment of resources, when we still have so much to answer for."

As it happened, Jason was actually in agreement. At the production lines in Redfields, the quotas had always been nice and rounded. Jason liked it that way, it kept things more efficient for everyone involved. However, he wasn't about to let Lloyd know that. Not just yet anyway.

"We were patrolling all as one group when a piece of furniture was thrown out of an upstairs window into the street, almost hitting us." Jason told her. "I wanted to take a closer look, to make sure that what was going on wasn't more than just a heated argument or even an accident. While my colleagues were not as enthusiastic as I was, neither seemed forthcoming with any clear dissent, so it fell on me to make the call. In retrospect, the call I made was the wrong one, and I apologise. However," Jason shot another filthy look at Lloyd "I do not think the quality of my judgement, with the benefit of hindsight, is any justification for Constable Lloyd's decision to abandon his fellow officers, especially considering that it later transpired that he was withholding information that would have made the entire farce a moot point in the first place."

"I do not think the quality of my judgement, with the benefit of hindsight, is any justification for Constable Lloyd's decision to abandon his fellow officers, especially considering that it later transpired that he was withholding information that would have made the entire farce a moot point in the first place."

"... What was that?" Marc asked, raising an eyebrow. "... Do you mean when I said I 'knew' it wasn't them? I didn't know. I just used educated guessing. If it was anyone dangerous, they wouldn't use a lamp. That was in my report." Marc added.

"I didn't share my logic as you were half way up a fire escape. That was in my report as well. I do think that it was nothing but a heated domestic report, which Jason could've handled as well alone or with Chris. I stayed within running distance of the building they were inside of, and I figured a yell would get me attacked by the... kids, apparently. I fired a gun as there were several armed combatants around me." Marc had tucked his legs in again, he noticed.

"I don't think what we all did was wrong, but that is me being biased. I just think we went about it the wrong way at all times."

"Well, if you didn't know, then you shouldn't bloody well say that you know." Jason snapped back. "You'll excuse me if I'm not keen on potentially staking people's safety, and my career, on your 'educated guesses'; and don't even try that crap about me not letting you speak up either. You had plenty of chance to make your case, you just chose not to, and I wasn't about to wait around for you to get over whatever this malfunction you have is when it comes to dealing with people. I'm not your damn therapist!"

"Just part of the education system you see, students submit assessment pieces, could be an essay or exam or a speech and teachers have a system of grading them using letters. A+ is the highest you can get and it decreases from there to A, A-, then B+ and like that from there. 'A' is excellent and 'B' is good so B+ is pretty much saying very good." Collin said as he explained to Sameera a prospect that was no doubt new to her.

"Yeah, as you say Collin, a B+ may not be perfect, but it is pretty exceptional, and for a first day on the job, and the first investigation; I would say that was an outstanding performance by all, well done everyone." Mordecai said with a smile as he stood up from the desk, the first aid kit in one hand, and the requisition form in the other.

"Now then Miss Draven, I think you asked me earlier to have a look at those cuts you have; since it appears that all our current affairs are in order for the moment, it might be a good time for me to treat them before something rather unpleasant happens. Fortunately, I have the tools and a room set up as a temporary medical bay."

"Just part of the education system you see, students submit assessment pieces, could be an essay or exam or a speech and teachers have a system of grading them using letters. A+ is the highest you can get and it decreases from there to A, A-, then B+ and like that from there. 'A' is excellent and 'B' is good so B+ is pretty much saying very good."

"Huh. So we did good. Why not excellent?", Sameera asked with obviously feigned indignation. "Interesting system. We have a different one." She left that statement as it was, without explaining any further.

"Yeah, as you say Collin, a B+ may not be perfect, but it is pretty exceptional, and for a first day on the job, and the first investigation; I would say that was an outstanding performance by all, well done everyone." Mordecai said with a smile as he stood up from the desk, the first aid kit in one hand, and the requisition form in the other.

"Now then Miss Draven, I think you asked me earlier to have a look at those cuts you have; since it appears that all our current affairs are in order for the moment, it might be a good time for me to treat them before something rather unpleasant happens. Fortunately, I have the tools and a room set up as a temporary medical bay."

"Oh, yeah, uhm, ok. Almost forgot. Young one's first." She stepped aside and waited for Mordecai to walk ahead since she didn't know the way.

"Oh, yeah, uhm, ok. Almost forgot. Young one's first." Sameera said, soon stepping to one side to allow Mordecai through.

"And here I thought it was ladies who went first." Mordecai said with a smirk as he passed.

The pair soon left the Reports Room, and took a short walk down the corridor, passing the Captain's office, who they could hear giving a lecture to on the other side. They soon arrived at an unmarked door, and Mordecai opened it, entering into a almost empty room, save for a table and a couple of chairs. There was also a small basin of water that Mordecai brought in earlier so he could clean off any tools he used.

"Alright then, I know it's not much, but it was the first free room that I came across; it'll have to suffice until something a bit more permanent comes along. Anyway, if you could just get yourself seated on one of those chairs Sameera, and whilst I get set up, perhaps you could tell me how you managed to get those cuts and lacerations, please."

"And here I thought it was ladies who went first." Mordecai said with a smirk as he passed.

"Not always. Besides, I think it would be a little too much calling me a lady", Sameera grinned as she started following Mordecai. When they passed the Captains's office, she slowed down to 'accidentally' overhear what was going on inside.

"...whatever this malfunction you have is when it comes to dealing with people. I'm not your damn therapist!"

Well that didn't sound too good. Sameera shook her head and catched up with Mordecai again, entering a rather spartan room with a table and a few chairs.

"Alright then, I know it's not much, but it was the first free room that I came across; it'll have to suffice until something a bit more permanent comes along. Anyway, if you could just get yourself seated on one of those chairs Sameera, and whilst I get set up, perhaps you could tell me how you managed to get those cuts and lacerations, please."

She made herself comfortable on one of the chairs. "Well...", she started as she examined her right hand again, "... I got the cuts from smashing the window of a car. The laceration's from my forehead hitting the dashboard of our car, after said car performed a full breaking while I wasn't buckled up. I was even unconcious for a few seconds if that's important. And I was in the sewers right after that."

Ackerman listened in silence as the two of them bickered like school children, a look of stern disappointment on her face. She let the three stew in silence for a moment. Lloyd seemed steadfast in his belief that he was totally and utterly right, though his mindbogglingly thorough report didn't seem to agree. Not by her understanding anyway. Though reports couldn't always be trusted completely.

Ackerman watched Marc go like a sentry before slowly turning back to Jason and Chris. "Now what to do with the two of you? Constable Hemingr, according to all the evidence you seem to have acted sensibly throughout this incident and may have at least tried to keep the peace. You may consider yourself dismissed." She turned her attention completely onto Jason. "You however, Constable Hunt, have made your own serious blunder. Nigh on assaulting a fellow officer is a very serious offence which would normally lead to a very serious dressing down and suspension at least. But these are not normal times and we find ourselves in desperate need of manpower. Luckily our latest report has offered you a chance to redeem yourself. Sergeant Novak will give you more details. This is not me letting you off."

After going over Archie's report it appeared that the thief (or thieves) left a few days between thefts and they'd been leaving less and less time between each job. Someone was getting cocky. The day had been a mixed bag overall and Ackerman was determined to make a win out of it.

With that in mind she went about assigning members of staff on a stake-out of the neighborhood. Jason, Rat, Rory and Cali were assigned to Novak and a car detail. They drove back to the neighborhood in question and were left to find spots where they could observe as many angles as covertly as possible. Novak himself stayed in the car. He explained on the way how the captain's thinking was that bringing the combined senses and insight of all the wargs on staff (along with Cali's superior night sight to back them up) would give them a better chance at catching any suspicious characters. Dusk had sunk its claws in a long time ago now and night was setting in with gusto.

Meanwhile, back in the precinct, Captain Ackerman emerged from her office to observe what was going on in her domain. No doubt it was time to start getting to know her subordinates.

"Well..." Spoke Sameera as she examined her right hand again. "... I got the cuts from smashing the window of a car. The laceration's from my forehead hitting the dashboard of our car, after said car performed a full breaking while I wasn't buckled up... And I was in the sewers right after that." During this time, Mordecai was busy laying everything out on the near by table. After Sameera was done, Mordecai put on a pair of surgical gloves and then walked over to Sameera, and first examined the cuts on the back of the hand.

"The sewers you say? Well it's a good thing that you had those gloves on earlier, otherwise all sorts of bacteria could have gotten into the wound, making it rather infected. Least you had the common sense to wash once you came back, that should of washed all the debris and dirt out of the wound; but just to be safe, I'll have to clean the affected area with some soap and water, along with applying some antibiotic ointment and a bandage." Mordecai then went to fetch the basin of water, two flannels, the ointment, some gauze pads and a roll of bandages.

First he folded the flannel in half and submerged it in water, squeezing out the excess water and then applied the soap soap; Mordecai then gently cleaned the hand, making sure that every cut was done. He then submerged the second flannel and after squeezing out the water, cleaned off the soap so the ointment could work more effectively.

Speaking of ointment, he unscrewed the cap and applied some to the gauze pad.

"Due to the antibiotic nature of the ointment Sameera, it may sting a little on first application, so I do apologize in advance." Mordecai said with sincerity as he gently wiped the gauze pad across each scar, a couple soliciting a small yelp from the Dark Kin. He then cut a length of bandage with some small surgical scissors that were with the kit, and proceeded to wrap the hand.

"Now then, those cuts on your hand should heal into scabs in a few days, at that point it should be safe to take the bandage off. You may find that the scabs will itch, my advice is to not pick or scratch at them, as they'll drop off on their own accord, revealing the new skin underneath. Right, let's have a look at this here cut on your head." Said Mordecai, advising on the best procedure, before examining the cut, and performing mostly the same procedure as he did with the hand.

"Alright, that should it be it Sameera, but there are somethings I should mention to help with recovery for the head. If you can find them, try and take some painkillers to help ease the pain; avoid drinking alcohol or taking recreational drugs, apply an ice pack if ones available, but most importantly, try and get some rest. At best you have a minor concussion, should clear up eventually, so long as you follow my advice. If it starts getting any worse, then seek the help of a more qualified medical practitioner, or better yet hospital." Mordecai then gathered up everything, disposing of the used gauze pads in a nearby bin. After closing up the medical kit, he turned to face Sameera.

"Before I let you leave Sameera, I need to ask two more questions. One, did you understand everything I was telling you earlier? Second, do you have any questions for me?"

"Insane," Collin chuckled quietly, leaving it ambiguous as to whether he was referring to himself, his co-workers, or his day at work. "Missing a few screws alright, probably even more than I'm missing from all that stupid flat pack furniture I keep buying." The report was done, he hadn't been assigned elsewhere yet and he was hardly going to spend the rest of his time muttering to himself. No, Collin decided it was time for a sandwich. He strolled over to the platter Draven had brought in earlier and grabbed all the sandwiches he could get a hold of. Ok, a lot of sandwiches, it had been a long day. After clumsily bumbling his way back to his desk, Collin deposited his stack of sandwiches onto one side of his desk before eagerly stuffing one into his mouth. His task done, Collin slumped back into his chair and casually swung his boots up onto the part of desk not occupied by sandwiches. He probably had some deep insights to share at that moment but they were regretfully lost into unintelligible mumbling through a mouthful of sandwich. Without a doubt, it was the best part of the job.

The treatment, which wasn't entirely painless, followed. Sameera twitched and yelped a bit as he applied the ointment and after that the bandage. "Wow. That actually hurt more than getting these injuries in the first place."

Mordecai then explained to her, what she had to bear in mind.

"Before I let you leave Sameera, I need to ask two more questions. One, did you understand everything I was telling you earlier? Second, do you have any questions for me?"

"One, yes. It's not the first time I got hurt. Second, yes."
She clenched and opened her now bandaged fist multiple times.
"What do you think of the whole thing today? I think it was a protection racket. Organized crime and stuff. There are enough big and influential gangs in Old Town."

"...Constable Hemingr, according to all the evidence you seem to have acted sensibly throughout this incident and may have at least tried to keep the peace. You may consider yourself dismissed."

He sighed with relief and made a swift exit. 'I'm the sensible one now? So much for being the annoying newbie.' Chris thought to himself as he made his way to his desk. Even though the whole ideal had left him quite hungry, Chris decided that escaping to grab some would give the wrong impression, especially with the Captain out. He looked over in the direction of the sandwich pile and eagerly moved over to it, only to find that the sandwiches themselves were on a desk belonging to a rather laid-back human. Surely he could spare some of his sandwich stash?

"Er... Can I have a few? Seeing as you have grabbed the lot?" Chris asked.

"One, yes. It's not the first time I got hurt. Second, yes." Sameera then clenched and opened her now bandaged hand several times.

"What do you think of the whole thing today? I think it was a protection racket. Organized crime and stuff. There are enough big and influential gangs in Old Town." Mordecai thought the question over whilst filling out the requisition form he was given earlier, thinking up whatever would be appropriate.

"I will admit, this bears the hallmarks of a protection racket; and now that I think about, the words of the Chef that ran out on me and Rory during the investigation, does lend credence to that particular notion. Though without next to no evidence to support this, there is little we can do at the moment; we'll just have to wait for them to make their next play."

"Er... Can I have a few? Seeing as you have grabbed the lot?"

Collin casually finished the sandwich he was holding before grinning over at Chris. "Excellent observation skills, detective are you?" he asked jokingly before waving expansively at the sandwiches. "Yeah, help yourself to as many as you like, I've sort of appointed myself head of catering you see." Of course, now that he was no longer distracted by sandwiches or making ridiculous claims, Collin suddenly noticed he hadn't even gotten around to introducing himself yet, that just plain bad form. "Sorry, I don't think we met this morning, I'm Collin Vandar, pleased to make your acquaintance." He might have offered a handshake if he hadn't immediately busied himself with selecting another sandwich. "Just reported to the captain did you? That go alright?"

"...Just reported to the captain did you? That go alright?"

"Chris Hemingr." He automatically said after Collin introduced himself. Before Chris said anymore, he grabbed a sandwich and began to nibble at it casually. Obviously, sandwich-side conversation was an easy way to get acquainted with the others. Still, as the only Shredder, Chris felt a little out of place and his experience on his first patrol made that worse. Even if Ackerman stated that he had acted well compared to the others. Well, that didn't really say much - anyone could have acted better than Mr. Cocky and Mr. Bossy. After finishing a mouthful, he continued to answer Collin's questions.

"Yes and yes... I suppose?" Chris replied, "The less said about my first patrol the better..."

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked